PDA

View Full Version : What rule would you change

Missingnumber7
March 12th, 2015, 10:22 AM
With the rules comittee coming out with the rules changes for the next year, and the areas of emphasis to follow in the not so distant future, I am interested in what, as a fan, you would like to see changed.

One thing I would like to see changed is to adopt the 5 yard contact rule from the NFL. In my opinion it gives the defender their opportunity but then makes them play defense afterwards and the coaches on the sidelines complain about DPI or defensive holding within that area anyway. Put that in and then after 5 yards make illegal contact a penalty.

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Down with no contact - dumb rule

NoDak 4 Ever
March 12th, 2015, 10:53 AM
All good choices but I wouldn't have adopted the silly facemask rule that's coming in this year. What in the world is the reason for this? I know some have chosen to do this out of fashion but some actually do it to keep fingers out of their masks because they are often in situations where the officials cannot see some dirty play in the pile.

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 11:03 AM
All good choices but I wouldn't have adopted the silly facemask rule that's coming in this year. What in the world is the reason for this? I know some have chosen to do this out of fashion but some actually do it to keep fingers out of their masks because they are often in situations where the officials cannot see some dirty play in the pile.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362461/article/nfl-prohibiting-nonstandard-facemasks

According to the memo (http://nflcommunications.com/2014/07/01/non-standard-facemasks-pose-injury-risk/), research from the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment showed that the non-standard facemasks more frequently fail safety and certification tests and aren't up to NFL safety standards.
Among the characteristics of the banned facemasks are "more bars, smaller spaces between the bars, and a generally larger coverage area," Vincent wrote in the memo.
A study conducted by the University of New Hampshire for the NFL states that the added weight of the masks negatively affects the structure of the helmet, can cause neck fatigue that could lead to a more head-down posture during contact and can provide a false sense of security during tackling.

Also smaller spaces make it easier for a finger to potentially get stuck in the mask and lead to serious hand injuries

NoDak 4 Ever
March 12th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Also smaller spaces make it easier for a finger to potentially get stuck in the mask and lead to serious hand injuries

Was this study published? Pardon me if I don't believe much that comes out of the NFL these days.

The possibility of a finger getting stuck might prevent the finger from getting in there in the first place.

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Was this study published? Pardon me if I don't believe much that comes out of the NFL these days.

The possibility of a finger getting stuck might prevent the finger from getting in there in the first place.
Just as the helmet prevents concussions...right?

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Given all the facemask/helmet research UNH has done - just google and be in awe of what they've done - I doubt they'd allow their name to be attached to something that's a just to allow the NFL to be greedy.

Not UNH...but
http://www.nhmi.net/research.php

Missingnumber7
March 12th, 2015, 11:48 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-rules-committee-explore-future-technological-advances

The ineligible downfield rule was adjusted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. To be legal, a lineman who is more than one yard past the line of scrimmage must be engaged with a defensive player when a pass is released.

The calling of team timeouts by the head coach will be instant-replay reviewable at any time.
These are two that the comittee recommended that didn't make it through.
As far as the helmet piece...until they prove that these facemasks are lighter and do not cause the head to dip everytime they make a tackle its important. Right now all it amounts to is a look at me thing which the NCAA is against. And they sighted the same research the NCAA did, but I can't find the original article that stated who did it, but I want to say it was an Ivy school that did the research.
Clenz the 5 yd contact rule is less about no contact and more about regulating/defining what contact is allowed within 5 yards.

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 11:50 AM
NOCSAE is on board....

You do know what NOCSAE is...right?

http://nocsae.org/research/research-grants-and-contracts/various-types-of-football-helmets-face-masks-and-face-mask-loop-straps-and-their-effects-on-the-efficiency-of-face-mask-removal/

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 11:51 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-rules-committee-explore-future-technological-advances

Clenz the 5 yd contact rule is less about no contact and more about regulating/defining what contact is allowed within 5 yards.
I meant the down without being contacted. You know, the dumb rule that says if your knee touches because you slipped but no one was within 20 yards of you that's too bad, you're still down

Missingnumber7
March 12th, 2015, 11:53 AM
NOCSAE is on board....

http://nocsae.org/research/research-grants-and-contracts/various-types-of-football-helmets-face-masks-and-face-mask-loop-straps-and-their-effects-on-the-efficiency-of-face-mask-removal/

You read the link you shared at all. That research has nothing to do with the facemask in a playing status. It is all about removing face masks during neck injuries.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 12th, 2015, 11:54 AM
NOCSAE is on board....

That deals with face mask removal, not the added weight. I could see steel adding extra weight but they were talking about Justin Tuck's mask being titanium which is comparatively very light. We know nothing of the specific findings or the methodology of the study.

Missingnumber7
March 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I meant the down without being contacted. You know, the dumb rule that says if your knee touches because you slipped but no one was within 20 yards of you that's too bad, you're still down

ahhh...my bad...I agree that rule is dumb too. There is some gap between NFHS rules and NFL rules that NCAA just hasn't gotten rid of as the talent has improved. One other thing that is going to change is electronics on the sidelines. I'm not sure why it wasn't included in the rules changes but watch for stuff similar to what the nfl allows.

PAllen
March 12th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Let's see...

All touchbacks should be at the 20 yd line (disregarding penalties of course). Moving some to the 25 was just dumb.

Fair catch should grant the receiver a 5 yd halo. Otherwise, he's fair game to be hit once he makes contact with the ball.

Instant replay (when available), should only be initiated by a coaches challenge. There are no limits to the number of challenges allowed by each team in a game. However, the following procedure must be followed: Each team is allowed to loose a challenge without penalty once in a game. Subsequent false challenges will subject challenger to a loss of one time out. If the challenger has expended all of their time outs available, then they shall incur a 15 yd penalty, with loss of down if the challenger is on offense, or an automatic first down if the challenger is on defense. On scoring plays in which the challenge upholds a score as called on the field, any penalty may be assessed on the kickoff at the discretion of the non challenging team.

(Yeah, I'm not a lawyer, but I have read more convoluted rules in the rule book.)

clenz
March 12th, 2015, 03:40 PM
How you going to judge 5 yards on the sides/angles?

That's the reason the NFL did away with that rule. You can't judge that.

Missingnumber7
March 13th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Let's see...

All touchbacks should be at the 20 yd line (disregarding penalties of course). Moving some to the 25 was just dumb.

Fair catch should grant the receiver a 5 yd halo. Otherwise, he's fair game to be hit once he makes contact with the ball.

The 25 on the kickoff was a safety issue, I really don't see it changing much at the level I officiate (NAIA/D3) but I think it has brought some interesting changes to kick coverage and how kickers place the ball. I have seen many more kickers put the ball outside the opposite numbers from where they kick off from and kick it higher to allow the coverage to get down field.

As far as the halo rule, I don't see it coming back with a defined distance. It essentially exists in the wording of the rule they changed I believe 3 or 4 years ago the established the Interferance with the opportunity to catch a kick. Which is a better rule anyway, alot more grey but still a better rule.

parr90
March 13th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Just as the helmet prevents concussions...right?

As a former player I would like to see the helmet to helmet rule changed back. I don't like the new rule. The rule came about after all the law suits in the NFL. It was all about lawsuits and not concussions. Now we are going to see more knee injuries because guys are going to hit lower and some knee injuries are career ending. A guy can come back from a concussion in a couple weeks. Its ridiculous IMO. They should make all the players sign wavers saying that they may get permanently hurt if they play football. Its a risk. The targeting rule in college is ridiculous too. More than half the time it is called, it wasn't even intentional.

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 12:51 PM
As a former player I would like to see the helmet to helmet rule changed back. I don't like the new rule. The rule came about after all the law suits in the NFL. It was all about lawsuits and not concussions. Now we are going to see more knee injuries because guys are going to hit lower and some knee injuries are career ending. A guy can come back from a concussion in a couple weeks. Its ridiculous IMO. They should make all the players sign wavers saying that they may get permanently hurt if they play football. Its a risk. The targeting rule in college is ridiculous too. More than half the time it is called, it wasn't even intentional.
I don't disagree with that basic sentiment, but I do have a question for you

Have you ever had a concussion?

Do you really believe that you ever actually recover from concussions?

Do you believe that concussions have no lasting effects or is it just a "bell rung" deal?

NoDak 4 Ever
March 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM

Do you believe that concussions have no lasting effects or is it just a "bell rung" deal?

I can answer that to a certain extent. I have had 2 concussions. One of them violent and years later, I have no ill effects.

Of course, one of the reasons was because they were years apart and I have had none since, nearly 20 years later. I do see how repeated concussions where the brain can only heal as scar tissue can have deleterious effects.

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I can answer that to a certain extent. I have had 2 concussions. One of them violent and years later, I have no ill effects.

Of course, one of the reasons was because they were years apart and I have had none since, nearly 20 years later. I do see how repeated concussions where the brain can only heal as scar tissue can have deleterious effects.
I've had 7....

The effects are very real and don't go away.

The amount of published research on how concussions effect the brain long term is real...and very scary.

The NFL needs to protect themselves from lawsuits.

So, yes. The rule changes were driven by lawsuits. Current players can thank past players (and current players involved in that suit) for the rule change.

bluehenbillk
March 13th, 2015, 01:37 PM
You guys are all boring.

How about this one - do away with the facemask. Not the penalty - the facemask itself.

Why? Players will be less likely to lead with the helmet if they feel their own face may get mashed. Concussions in my opinion will drop, you probably won't need a targeting rule anymore & hey there won't be facemask penalties either.

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 01:49 PM
You guys are all boring.

How about this one - do away with the facemask. Not the penalty - the facemask itself.

Why? Players will be less likely to lead with the helmet if they feel their own face may get mashed. Concussions in my opinion will drop, you probably won't need a targeting rule anymore & hey there won't be facemask penalties either.
I'm all for it.

The #1 cause of concussions is people leading with their head which leads them to not see what they are hitting.

Facemasks/helmets (especially new technology) makes players feel "invincible"

Mattymc727
March 13th, 2015, 02:01 PM
UNH had a player (Chris Beranger) that had a very violent concussion, and his very first I believe. He had to drop out of school for a semester because the migraines were so painful. He also couldn't play football ever again. It was tragic on both sides because giving up the sport you love is heartbreaking, and he was a really good safety for UNH too.

UNH has been a leader since then in concussion prevention and has been doing a lot of testing for the NFL and NCAA, The players are now wearing helmets with chips inside them to measure intensity and location. They also practice without helmets.

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 02:18 PM
UNH had a player (Chris Beranger) that had a very violent concussion, and his very first I believe. He had to drop out of school for a semester because the migraines were so painful. He also couldn't play football ever again. It was tragic on both sides because giving up the sport you love is heartbreaking, and he was a really good safety for UNH too.

UNH has been a leader since then in concussion prevention and has been doing a lot of testing for the NFL and NCAA, The players are now wearing helmets with chips inside them to measure intensity and location. They also practice without helmets.
I am very impressed with UNH and the research they've done. I've done quite a bit of reading on them and the NHMI.

I have sever migraine issues, light sensitivity issues, extreme memory issues, etc... I've had many cat scans. My brain is not in great shape. It's why I force myself to do word searches, crosswords, do a ton of research on statistics (though I find it really interesting), etc.. It's all to keep my mind as sharp as I can as long as I can.

JayJ79
March 14th, 2015, 12:16 AM
I think football should take a page from rugby:
touchdowns are not scored until the ball is touched down (while the player maintains possession) in the endzone.
and the PAT is taken (or at least snapped) from a spot directly out from the spot where the ball was touched down

WTFCollegefootballfan
March 14th, 2015, 02:04 AM
You guys are all boring.

Or go back to the single bar helmets for everybody.

kdinva
March 14th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I think football should take a page from rugby:
touchdowns are not scored until the ball is touched down (while the player maintains possession) in the endzone.
and the PAT is taken (or at least snapped) from a spot directly out from the spot where the ball was touched down

xthumbsupx

Do much damn "did he break the plane or not"......

also, in college, move the PAT line to the 10 yard line, and to the 15 in the NFL. Even a D-3 kicker should make 93% of a 27 yard PAT.

Mattymc727
March 14th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I am very impressed with UNH and the research they've done. I've done quite a bit of reading on them and the NHMI.

I have sever migraine issues, light sensitivity issues, extreme memory issues, etc... I've had many cat scans. My brain is not in great shape. It's why I force myself to do word searches, crosswords, do a ton of research on statistics (though I find it really interesting), etc.. It's all to keep my mind as sharp as I can as long as I can.

Sorry to hear that clenz, but Im glad those exercises work. When was your last concussion?

Seeing what NFL players have gone through (I was a big Junior Seau fan) and what Chris Beranger went through, concussions are a very serious matter. There may not be 1 right answer, but if everyone keeps making small steps to correct tackling form and collisions, the better future players have.

Mattymc727
March 14th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Also, this may be a bit dramatic, but I really like the idea of taking away the 1 point attempt and forcing everyone to go for two everytime. Just adds a little excitement.

caribbeanhen
March 14th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Clenz,

it's working so far Clenz! You sure seem to be a sharpie....

MR. CHICKEN
March 14th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Also, this may be a bit dramatic, but I really like the idea of taking away the 1 point attempt and forcing everyone to go for two everytime. Just adds a little excitement.

20635.....NOT FO'...DUH KICKER....:(...AWK!

clenz
March 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear that clenz, but Im glad those exercises work. When was your last concussion?

Seeing what NFL players have gone through (I was a big Junior Seau fan) and what Chris Beranger went through, concussions are a very serious matter. There may not be 1 right answer, but if everyone keeps making small steps to correct tackling form and collisions, the better future players have.
Sept 06 was my last. Stopped playing college football after that...was more due to a knee injury bit had I known what those would do to me a decade later I might have never played in college.

I may seem sharp here, but am a mess in real life when it comes to memory.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

clenz
March 14th, 2015, 03:45 PM
There is no preventing concussions but anything to goes to reduce the chances and limit players from getting multiple is completely worth it, even if initially started because if a lawsuit.

If a facemask may alter a helmet, or it's wearer in a negtove way, it needs to be taken out. What if 10 years down the road our initial conclusions are proven true. Then we have more players filing suit because the NFL or NCAA didn't do enough...

PAllen
March 14th, 2015, 09:25 PM
I'd be ok with the old inverted T face masks (bar with one vertical up the middle). I've seen too many eye socket injures to guys who had just the lower portion of the mask and nothing covering the nose to forehead region.

dgtw
March 14th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Hate to hear that, clenz. Hoping for the best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parr90
March 16th, 2015, 12:35 PM

Yes I have had a couple concussions. When I played they didn't know as much. I have to be honest and say that I am not sure about everyones recovery from concussions, but I think it can have a lasting effect. I am actually scheduled to see a neurologist next week because I have been having migraines the last year or so. I don't blame anyone but myself though, if in fact my current problems come from my football days. I chose to play the game. I knew the risk. I did try to play professional football but a heart condition found ended that. Had I ended up playing a few years though and had concussions, I believe I would still feel the same way. I think the guys that initially sued the NFL over this matter were not happy with their lives and maybe they were indeed having problems related to their concussions. I think they were pissed off and didn't have any more money and saw an opportunity to get some more. Maybe im wrong but these guys, regardless of their injuries should be thankful they were given the opportunity to play Pro football. They were paid a lots of money for playing a game they loved. If I were the NFL I would make every guy sign a waver saying if they get hurt the NFL is not liable. Now if a guy is paralyzed or something of that nature then the NFL should do something to help that person, but to come back years later and say hey the injuries I received while playing football are hindering my life so I am going to sue you is ridiculous to me. Obviously they have insurance through the NFL, but these guys knew the risk involved and were happy as hell to get paid to play football. Its a violent game played by violent people. If your not willing to take the risk that you may be injured or even paralyzed then you shouldn't play. Its that simple to me.

parr90
March 16th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Georgia Southern has also been one of the leaders in concussion research. They wear these special sensors in their helmets to measure the impact of hits to the head. They are doing all kinds of stuff in this area. Its a big deal now, but I do think it all stems from law suits.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 16th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Georgia Southern has also been one of the leaders in concussion research. They wear these special sensors in their helmets to measure the impact of hits to the head. They are doing all kinds of stuff in this area. Its a big deal now, but I do think it all stems from law suits.

Wait, don't the visors add weight that will hurt their neck?

clenz
March 16th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Wait, don't the visors add weight that will hurt their neck?
You ever lifted a visor?

No.

To compare a visor that weights a couple grams to a facemask with double the steel of a standard facemask with weight is a reach....even by your standards

clenz
March 16th, 2015, 12:47 PM
UNI has started with this as well.

I don't know that it's in every helmet but I know it was in some of the "bigger name" players.

Too much G force and a sensor went off and they were pulled until they passed protocall

Daytripper
March 16th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Extra point kicked from the 20 yard line. It makes it a 37 yard attempt. This would have a lot of teams going for two point conversions. Fewer tie games. Fewer terrible overtimes.

clenz
March 16th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Yes I have had a couple concussions. When I played they didn't know as much. I have to be honest and say that I am not sure about everyones recovery from concussions, but I think it can have a lasting effect. I am actually scheduled to see a neurologist next week because I have been having migraines the last year or so. I don't blame anyone but myself though, if in fact my current problems come from my football days. I chose to play the game. I knew the risk. I did try to play professional football but a heart condition found ended that. Had I ended up playing a few years though and had concussions, I believe I would still feel the same way. I think the guys that initially sued the NFL over this matter were not happy with their lives and maybe they were indeed having problems related to their concussions. I think they were pissed off and didn't have any more money and saw an opportunity to get some more. Maybe im wrong but these guys, regardless of their injuries should be thankful they were given the opportunity to play Pro football. They were paid a lots of money for playing a game they loved. If I were the NFL I would make every guy sign a waver saying if they get hurt the NFL is not liable. Now if a guy is paralyzed or something of that nature then the NFL should do something to help that person, but to come back years later and say hey the injuries I received while playing football are hindering my life so I am going to sue you is ridiculous to me. Obviously they have insurance through the NFL, but these guys knew the risk involved and were happy as hell to get paid to play football. Its a violent game played by violent people. If your not willing to take the risk that you may be injured or even paralyzed then you shouldn't play. Its that simple to me.
I don't disagree with this at all.

HOWEVER, the precedent has now been set - the NFL/NCAA is responsible if someone feels they were hurt long term while playing the sport. That means the NCAA/NFL now need to do everything - including going over the top to cover every square inch of their ass - to make sure they aren't subject to another suit moving forward.

Go Green
March 16th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Extra point kicked from the 20 yard line. It makes it a 37 yard attempt. This would have a lot of teams going for two point conversions. Fewer tie games. Fewer terrible overtimes.

Pretty much guarantees that you're going kick the ball and not do a fake.

I'd allow players on the sidelines for the national anthem. Someone was asking on the Ivy board why the players remain in the locker room. No one had an answer....

Someone gave me a theory years ago. But when I posted it on the Ivy board, another poster told me it was complete nonsense...

There are plenty of Ivy-specific rules I'd change, but that's a topic for another thread...

PAllen
March 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Pretty much guarantees that you're going kick the ball and not do a fake.

I'd allow players on the sidelines for the national anthem. Someone was asking on the Ivy board why the players remain in the locker room. No one had an answer....

Someone gave me a theory years ago. But when I posted it on the Ivy board, another poster told me it was complete nonsense...

There are plenty of Ivy-specific rules I'd change, but that's a topic for another thread...

No rule against the national anthem after the players take the field. However, many coaches dislike the emotional pause just before play starts. I don't think that there's much to that, but some HCs do.

Catsfan90
March 16th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I never actually thought about the National Anthem thing. I'm pretty sure the NFL players are all there before? I always liked it because it provides a chance for everyone to pause before the game and come together as Americans before some good friendly competition.

Hammerhead
March 16th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Move the hash marks farther apart like they used to be.

dgtw
March 16th, 2015, 09:12 PM

The NFL did this for the first two preseason games last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
March 16th, 2015, 09:16 PM
San Fransisco stand out rookie LV retiring due to potential long-term issues from repeated head trauma

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=12496480&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FI6B sKfvE0c%22%7D

clenz
March 17th, 2015, 07:18 AM
A very nicely written article by Andrew Perloff of Sports Illustrated (McLovin on the Dan Patrick Show) and former NFL QB Kevin Kolb about his battles with concussions after retiring at 29

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/23/kevin-kolb-concussions-mexico-hurricane/

Some excerpts

My first concussion came right after I took over as the Eagles’ starter, on opening day in 2010, on a Clay Matthews sack. I suffered two more concussions and a very serious rib injury when I was with Arizona in 2012.
The thing about the last concussion, with Buffalo … I didn’t think it could possibly be serious. The Redskins defender just ran by me at the end of a routine scramble and caught my helmet with his knee. I went numb from my neck down for about three seconds, but I stayed in the game. I didn’t know what it was or how serious it would turn out to be. It couldn't be happening again.
But when I got to the sideline and the adrenaline wore off, I knew. The symptoms came rushing in, the pain, the noise, the queasiness. I had taken every possible step to fend off concussion—a new helmet, staying in the best shape possible, trying to play smart. None of it mattered.

With concussions, sometimes you don’t know what is a symptom and what is not. But some symptoms are impossible to ignore. The ringing is like someone shooting a shotgun right next to my ear, every second of every day. It doesn’t go away.
The sensitivity to light also has a profound impact. I’ll be in a business meeting indoors and have to politely ask to put on my sunglasses before the headaches and double vision start.

The next part is a perfect example of how I feel, every single day...

But I can deal with those symptoms. The short-term memory loss is more difficult. Sometimes I don’t know if I’m just busy with a very full schedule and that’s why I can’t remember everything, or if it’s a concussion symptom.

On a day-to-day basis, I have to respect the concussion symptoms. That means getting a good night’s sleep every night. If I don’t get a good night’s rest, I feel the impact the next day. These are challenges, but they’re ones I can always handle if my head and my heart are in the right place.

Most people reply to that with "Everyone forgets things and that's normal. The level of confusion he's talking about - and what a good number of people who have had multiple concussions deal with - is that constant feeling (that can only be described as) running 15 minutes late and not being able to find your car keys and wallet and just running around the house like a mad man to find them.....except that actually happens frequently because of the issues from concussions.

I can also tell you, as I'm typing this, before 7AM, that I didn't sleep well last night and his comment of "feeling it" the next day is 100% accurate.

As Kolb said there is no way to prevent them, even taking 100% the right steps. That doesn't mean we should allow anything goes.

The NFL needs to protect themselves from lawsuits and the actual future lives these NFL players will end up leading after their career is over. NFL players are a different breed. The vast majority of them don't think long term issues. It's in the NFL's best, long term, interest to put rules/protocols in place to protect these players from themselves.

parr90
March 24th, 2015, 02:54 PM
A very nicely written article by Andrew Perloff of Sports Illustrated (McLovin on the Dan Patrick Show) and former NFL QB Kevin Kolb about his battles with concussions after retiring at 29

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/23/kevin-kolb-concussions-mexico-hurricane/

Some excerpts

Most people reply to that with "Everyone forgets things and that's normal. The level of confusion he's talking about - and what a good number of people who have had multiple concussions deal with - is that constant feeling (that can only be described as) running 15 minutes late and not being able to find your car keys and wallet and just running around the house like a mad man to find them.....except that actually happens frequently because of the issues from concussions.

I can also tell you, as I'm typing this, before 7AM, that I didn't sleep well last night and his comment of "feeling it" the next day is 100% accurate.

As Kolb said there is no way to prevent them, even taking 100% the right steps. That doesn't mean we should allow anything goes.

The NFL needs to protect themselves from lawsuits and the actual future lives these NFL players will end up leading after their career is over. NFL players are a different breed. The vast majority of them don't think long term issues. It's in the NFL's best, long term, interest to put rules/protocols in place to protect these players from themselves.

Just to come back to this some, because I am now interested in this. I had the appointment with the neurologist and had the scans done. I had the signs of concussions definitely. White spots or something. Anyways after reading what you posted here, I had/have the same symptoms. Loud noise, short term memory loss, sensitivity to light, ect. Been having migraines for a year or so now and had to rule out sinus problems. Not a lot I can do especially because of my heart condition I am limited to some of the migraine meds. My mom has parkinsons (sp) and my father had parkinsons disease so I am at more risk there. No show of that in me yet anyway but I think what is going on with the former NFL guys is that they attribute these symptoms to their playing days and are suing the NFL. I don't agree with it but it has changed things and probably will continue to change things. Reading where Kolb said that the guys knee scraped his helmet shows me that you don't even have to have a violent hit to cause a concussion, so you could argue, I guess, that head to head contact isn't always the cause of concussion on the playing field. I assume it happens more though with head to head contacts so they want to prevent more of those. I just think guys know the risk and a grown man should be able to say.....Hey I want to play this game and if I get injured, then I will be responsible. Make them sign wavers. Will never happen because as another said here they are going to get sued anyways. Sucks having a lot of headaches though.