PDA

View Full Version : THE GAME: Yale @ Harvard game thread

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Harvard-Yale is underway. A not very impressive series for Harvard. O'Hagen loses some yardage on third down when he could have thrown the ball away.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Yale was moving the ball well on the first drive and then the Bulldogs fumbled deep in Harvard territory following a completion.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yale's defense is fired up. Harvard minus-21 total yards so far.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Yale just missed on a TD pass when Harvard is called for Pass interference in the end zone. First down on the five.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
McLeod to the one on second down.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:27 AM
McLeod off-tackle TD Yale.

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 11:36 AM
7-0 Yale.

Yale defense looking good so far.

Awesome to be able to watch Harvard-Yale on WGN!!!!! GO YALE!

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Harvard goes for it on fourth and inches from its own 42 and barely makes it for their first first down of the game on O'Hagen's QB sneak.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:44 AM
O'Hagen gets clobbered on a pass rush and Yale gets called for Pass Interference covering Mazza to give Harvard another first down.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yale breaks up a pass for Matt Luft in the end zone. Dawson gets loose for a pass play to the Yale 31.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Yale's run defense is bottling up Clifton Dawson so far. End of the first quarter , Yale 7, Harvard 0.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Dawson big run with some fantastic cuts on the first play of the second quarter for a first down at the 13.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Dawson first down at the three.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM
O'Hagen run to the one. Second down.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Dawson leaps into the end zone for Harvard TD. Will be tied after the extra point, 7-7.

November 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM
The 124th playing of THE GAME!

ISUMatt
November 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Charlie Steiner announcing THE GAME?

November 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
TD Yale

November 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yale up 14-7

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
GO YALE!

November 18th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Dan Jiggets doing color for the game

November 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Yale 14
Harvard 7
4:00 2Q

Yale driving inside the Harvard 15

November 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Yale up 17-7
2:49 2Q

nothingbutjsu
November 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Crimson needs to regroup at the half.

nothingbutjsu
November 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM
H stopping them from scoring TD's in the red zone

nothingbutjsu
November 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Bulldogs 20-7 at half

November 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Yale 20-7
9:11 3Q

The Fan
November 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Go Kandice Krueger.

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:32 PM
End of the third quarter.

Yale 20, Harvard 7

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM
A game of interest for Yale and Harvard fans:

Dartmouth scores a late TD before the half. Princeton leads 17-10.

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:38 PM
TD run by McCloud.

Yale up 27-7 early in the fourth quarter.

November 18th, 2006, 01:40 PM
13:40 left

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Santoro fumble return for a TD.

Yale leads 34-7. :D

AndyK2005
November 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
And San Diego pounded Yale 41-17, on the road........

interesting. San Diego not a playoff team? you guys sure about that? :)

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Harvard TD. Crimson fail on the two point conversion.

34-13, Yale.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Comparison results only go so far...

The way I see it, 6. Ivy League (41.63) and 15. Pioneer Football League (69.60).

That's from the GPI...

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 02:00 PM
And San Diego pounded Yale 41-17, on the road........

interesting. San Diego not a playoff team? you guys sure about that? :)
Yale is a much better team now than it was in its first game. San Diego was playing its third game of the year when it beat Yale.

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Yale is a much better team now than it was in its first game. San Diego was playing its third game of the year when it beat Yale.

That might be partly true, but doesn't explain away the fact USD beat Yale by a large margin. It has been stated that USD faced two bad teams before Yale, so you could make the argument that USD had not faced a team with the talent Yale has and could have been beat by Yale due to no real test prior to the Yale game. Essentailly you had two teams that had not faced anyone right?

Playing your first game of the season does not mean you can't throttle a team.....false logic. :twocents:

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Yale Wins 34-13!!

2006 IVY LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!! :hurray:

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Finally

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Congrats Yale fans - you guys played a great game. McLeod is a great RB...

Model Citizen
November 18th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Although it won't count in the standings, Yale played a game before taking on USD.

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083106aaa.html

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Although it won't count in the standings, Yale played a game before taking on USD.

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083106aaa.html

Thanks for the correct info Model....:thumbsup:

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the correct info Model....:thumbsup:

I never made excuses for our loss to USD. They were just a better team. But it was a SCRIMMAGE against Princeton. Not even close to a game. No fans, no intensity, EVERYONE plays. I'm glad you had a great year and hope Yale plays USD again in the future.(In San Diego so I can attend)

November 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM
USD was Yale's first game..
Sat 9/16/2006 San Diego at Yale San Diego 43-17

Model Citizen
November 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Not even close to a game. No fans, no intensity, EVERYONE plays.

So you're saying it was like the USD-Dixie State game, only against a better opponent. :smiley_wi

Congratulations to Yale on winning the championship.

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM
So you're saying it was like the USD-Dixie State game, only against a better opponent. :smiley_wi

Congratulations to Yale on winning the championship.

Exactly - if Azusa Pacific and Dixie State are so bad you would think USD would not be prepared to face the eventual Ivy Leage champ loaded with talent. With such a bad OOC schedule, how could that possibly prepare you to face the best in the Ivy?

If people are going to be consistent about the USD schedule please do that. But don't say out of one side of your mouth the schedule is weak, and then out of the other side say those two games gave them an advantage over Yale the eventual Ivy champ...you can't have it both ways.

Congrats to Yale - they are a class team and showed why they are the best in the Ivy!

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I never made excuses for our loss to USD. They were just a better team. But it was a SCRIMMAGE against Princeton. Not even close to a game. No fans, no intensity, EVERYONE plays. I'm glad you had a great year and hope Yale plays USD again in the future.(In San Diego so I can attend)

My comments are not directed to you bulldog10jw. You are a great poster and have a great team that showed why they are the best in the Ivy!

YaleFootballFan
November 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Same here. I think if USD played Yale's schedule, they'd win just as many games as Yale did. I don't care what anybody says, USD has a very good team and an excellent quarterback.

But at this point, I could care less about a non-conference loss from back in September. Right now it's all about beating Harvard and winning the Ivy title. That's all that matters.

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Right now it's all about beating Harvard and winning the Ivy title.

I think that my favorite sentence I've ever read here.:)

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Same here. I think if USD played Yale's schedule, they'd win just as many games as Yale did. I don't care what anybody says, USD has a very good team and an excellent quarterback.

But at this point, I could care less about a non-conference loss from back in September. Right now it's all about beating Harvard and winning the Ivy title. That's all that matters.

I watched your game today on TV and you guys never let Harvard into the game - from the first series on you controled the pace of play. What a great setting for a football game as well. I wish we had a stadium equal to the Yale Bowl or Harvard's. Enjoy your title Bulldog fans!

YoUDeeMan
November 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Congrats to Yale - they are a class team and showed why they are the best in the Ivy!

Uh, anyone forget a team called Princeton? :bang:

That's OK. We're used to USD fans distorting the facts. :nono:

Congrats Yale on your share of the Ivy crown!

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Uh, anyone forget a team called Princeton? :bang:

That's OK. We're used to USD fans distorting the facts. :nono:

Congrats Yale on your share of the Ivy crown!

I am offering my OPINION. If you disagree with it fine, but it is not a distortment. :nono:

I believe Yale to be the best team in the Ivy. As someone who actaully watched them play in person this year I feel confident saying that. While Yale lost to Princeton, I still think they are the better team. Take your "hate" somewhere else....xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
November 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Wow, USD dismantles the co-champion of the Ivy League, is ranked high in all the polls, cleaned every opponent's clocks, and leads in so many NCAA catagories that it is hard to keep track! I just do not see any valid reason to deny USD a bid other than outright discrimination against the PFL. Congrats to Yale on the co-championship of the Ivy League! Good luck to USD as well. Monmouth better be ready to play Drake, that is all I can say....

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
please...

monmouthhawk
November 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, USD dismantles the co-champion of the Ivy League, is ranked high in all the polls, cleaned every opponent's clocks, and leads in so many NCAA catagories that it is hard to keep track! I just do not see any valid reason to deny USD a bid other than outright discrimination against the PFL. Congrats to Yale on the co-championship of the Ivy League! Good luck to USD as well. Monmouth better be ready to play Drake, that is all I can say....
Wow, San Diego is playing Monmouth.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Congrats to Yale for an outstanding game and a co-championship.:thumbsup:

ngineer
November 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I had the 'fortune' of seeing all three Ivy powers this year up close and personal. Very difficult to separate, since each had their own significant strengths. I would give the nod to Princeton only because I felt that they had better overall balance and some 'stars' on defense. ( MLB and SS). But in the Ivy, as in the PL, it was 'any given saturday'..Excellent and exciting season to you all!

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Thanks, Ivytalk. Always a classy guy.:thumbsup:

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Pictures: Yale vs. Harvard

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/view.gal?id=3498&template=player_gallery

Harvard Worship
November 19th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Ditto. Yale played really impressive football. McLeod opened a lot of eyes.

I was at the game & it featured (as always) the best game-day atmosphere to be had in college football. Incredible weather this year, too!

As an aside, it was good to know that the world did not end when Yale beat Harvard, as '05-ers like me feared (never having seen a THE GAME loss before). I hope I won't have to get used to it, but it turns out THE GAME is a blast no matter what happens on the field.
Can't wait until next year.

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2006, 06:43 AM
NH Register writer's comments on his blog about Harvard's coach and players:

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

Pure class

Just need to mention that Harvard coach Tim Murphy is probably as classy a coach as I've dealt with in 15 years.

Whether he wins or loses he just carries himself in manner more coaches should follow.

The way he took Saturday's loss was professionalism at its best. He was mad and disappointed, but never complained, just credited Yale.

His players were the same way.

Often after losses players whine and complain, look disgusted, don't pay attention, keep their heads in their hands. Each of his players Saturday spoke confidently, gave credit to Yale and watched their coach as he spoke. And he did the same.

Pure class.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Congrats Yale! From why we saw in Easton, it is not surprisnig you won the league. The good thing to come out of it, and I'm sure you are just as happy... is NO MORE CLIFTON DAWSON!! :D :D

I actually predicted Yale would win the Ivy on here.. too bad I don't win anything :rolleyes:

See you at the Yale Bowl in 2008.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Ditto. Yale played really impressive football. McLeod opened a lot of eyes.

I was at the game & it featured (as always) the best game-day atmosphere to be had in college football. Incredible weather this year, too!

As an aside, it was good to know that the world did not end when Yale beat Harvard, as '05-ers like me feared (never having seen a THE GAME loss before). I hope I won't have to get used to it, but it turns out THE GAME is a blast no matter what happens on the field.
Can't wait until next year.

How many yards does McLeod need to catch Dawson? He has two years left to do it. I wonder whether those two guys shared any thoughts after The Game. Harvard will need a new stud RB next year: Cheng Ho won't cut it. (Let's put it this way: he's no Eion Hu....)

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2006, 01:10 PM
How many yards does McLeod need to catch Dawson? He has two years left to do it. I wonder whether those two guys shared any thoughts after The Game. Harvard will need a new stud RB next year: Cheng Ho won't cut it. (Let's put it this way: he's no Eion Hu....)

I think McLeod would need 2800 yards the next two years to pass Dawson. It would be very difficult to average 1400 yards per year. It just shows how great Dawson was to be able to put up those numbers not to mention being relatively injury free. We'll see how Mcleod does but the bar is very high.

Hu, I remember the name, but forget the years.

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I was at the game & it featured (as always) the best game-day atmosphere to be had in college football.

I'm with you. I love the Bowl, but there is nothing like Yale-Harvard AT Harvard. It almost seems like you are out on the field with the players because the stands are so close to the field.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I think McLeod would need 2800 yards the next two years to pass Dawson. It would be very difficult to average 1400 yards per year. It just shows how great Dawson was to be able to put up those numbers not to mention being relatively injury free. We'll see how Mcleod does but the bar is very high.

Hu, I remember the name, but forget the years.

Hu graduated around 1996. He set some Harvard rushing records at the time that Dawson later shattered. McLeod got over 1400 yards this year, right? Harvard was one of the few teams to hold him under 100. Hope he stays healthy!

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I actually predicted Yale would win the Ivy on here.. too bad I don't win anything :rolleyes:

And I predicted Princeton. We were both right, but I'm certainly happier that YOU were right.:nod:

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
McLeod got over 1400 yards this year, right?

McLeod finished the year with 1,364 yards