PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Signing Parties

Milktruck74
March 6th, 2015, 08:59 AM
These signing parties and press coverage for these announcements has gone a bit overboard....if you are announcing that you are going to play for a D3 school across town, you shouldn't have press coverage (other than the 11th grade reporter from your school newspaper). I saw a big write up on a kid's signing party....at the end it revealed that he was a preferred walk-on at a FCS school...I know times have changed a bit (everybody deserves a trophy), but "BACK IN MY DAY" signing with FCS or even FBS (unless you were a National top 10 recruit)....a signing party meant your HS coach walking you out of Chemistry class and saying, "Here sign this so I can send it back." HEll, my dad was drafted in the second round of the NFL in the late 60s and my grandmother had to call the restaurant he was out on a date at with my mom...she couldn't even remember the guys name, just that my dad had to go to Louisiana. I guess I'm happy that kids are getting offers, but seriously.....Have we gone a little far?

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2015, 09:05 AM
These signing parties and press coverage for these announcements has gone a bit overboard....if you are announcing that you are going to play for a D3 school across town, you shouldn't have press coverage (other than the 11th grade reporter from your school newspaper). I saw a big write up on a kid's signing party....at the end it revealed that he was a preferred walk-on at a FCS school...I know times have changed a bit (everybody deserves a trophy), but "BACK IN MY DAY" signing with FCS or even FBS (unless you were a National top 10 recruit)....a signing party meant your HS coach walking you out of Chemistry class and saying, "Here sign this so I can send it back." HEll, my dad was drafted in the second round of the NFL in the late 60s and my grandmother had to call the restaurant he was out on a date at with my mom...she couldn't even remember the guys name, just that my dad had to go to Louisiana. I guess I'm happy that kids are getting offers, but seriously.....Have we gone a little far?

Yes but you'll never put that genie back in the bottle. Blame ESPN. They show high school football and basketball games and have the top 150 and all that crap.

Now some high schools just have a little thing with a table and pictures with the families. No press but it's pretty neat for those kids.

lionsrking2
March 6th, 2015, 09:29 AM

I can think of a lot worse things to rant about than signing parties. The opportunity to play intercollegiate sports is rare, regardless of sport or level of play, and good for those wish to celebrate. No wet blankets from me.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 6th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Also: GET OFF MY LAWN

UNH Fanboi
March 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Nothing will top this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwT-TYVKj3Y

blackbeard
March 6th, 2015, 10:00 AM
We have gone way too far with it. My rant is having "signings" for D3 kids and FBS/FCS walk-ons who really aren't signing anything. Everyone scratches their head at kid #1 claiming to be "signing" with an SEC school when they haven't even talked to a coach about a walk on, kid #2 at the next table busts his/her butt to get a high % scholarship from a top quality FCS or a great ride in an equivalency sport at any D1. Everyone knows kid #2 is a far more highly recruited athlete - it just creates an awkward environment and lessons the accomplishments of those truly deserving of recognition.

I really think any ceremonies and signing parties hosted at a school should only be for those signing an NLI. Show the AD your NLI, sit at the table at the school ceremony and sign. Don't have an NLI, have your own party if you want one. Have seen too many kids "signing" on Signing Day when they never even got on the HS field to play except in mop up duty. Frankly its become comical.

BEAR
March 6th, 2015, 10:04 AM
I don't mind the signing parties so much. Even for a D2 school. But what I HATE is the stupid multiple hats on the table thing. Hey 17 year old, adding you alone to my team isn't going win my school a national championship. It's a team effort. Humbly put that hat on BEFORE you sign and let's celebrate what you can CONTRIBUTE to the TEAM.

lionsrking2
March 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
We have gone way too far with it. My rant is having "signings" for D3 kids and FBS/FCS walk-ons who really aren't signing anything. Everyone scratches their head at kid #1 claiming to be "signing" with an SEC school when they haven't even talked to a coach about a walk on, kid #2 at the next table busts his/her butt to get a high % scholarship from a top quality FCS or a great ride in an equivalency sport at any D1. Everyone knows kid #2 is a far more highly recruited athlete - it just creates an awkward environment and lessons the accomplishments of those truly deserving of recognition.

I really think any ceremonies and signing parties hosted at a school should only be for those signing an NLI. Show the AD your NLI, sit at the table at the school ceremony and sign. Don't have an NLI, have your own party if you want one. Have seen too many kids "signing" on Signing Day when they never even got on the HS field to play except in mop up duty. Frankly its become comical.

Really????? You do realize there are walk-ons at schools across the country who become starters or major contributors for their programs. Whether they sign an NLI or receive any scholarship money is irrelevant ... if they're a recruited athlete and get an opportunity to play, I'm not gonna question someone's right to celebrate it.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM

Here's a good example of the very thing you are saying. The kid in the middle has passed on FBS offers to sign with the reigning FCS national champion. The kid on the right is signing with one of the better DII teams in the country and the kid on the left is signing with a NAIA school.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9CVvQiCAAAO1hG.jpg

This pic was taken contemporaneously to a ceremony, the kid on the left is going to a DIII school.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9C2pDLCAAIgIrN.jpg

Would you have told either kid "that's not a real NLI, you don't get to be here".

Daytripper
March 6th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Playing college football is an accomplishment for these kids. Let them celebrate in whatever way they wish. You don't have to watch.

lionsrking2
March 6th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Playing college football is an accomplishment for these kids. Let them celebrate in whatever way they wish. You don't have to watch.

Exactly.

chattownmocs
March 6th, 2015, 12:02 PM

Ian hayes may not be the next davis tull but he is going to be a good player for us. He is a good kid and I'm sure his family was proud that he gets to play college football. Stop hating. Its no worse than you old guys who brag about your playing career when the competition, participation, and popularity of the sport was nothing like it is today.

PAllen
March 6th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Nothing will top this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwT-TYVKj3Y

Kids will be kids and will do stupid things. What I find "a shame" in this incident is the school assembly for his choice. Really?

blackbeard
March 6th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Really????? You do realize there are walk-ons at schools across the country who become starters or major contributors for their programs. Whether they sign an NLI or receive any scholarship money is irrelevant ... if they're a recruited athlete and get an opportunity to play, I'm not gonna question someone's right to celebrate it.

I realize there are plenty of walk-ons that earn significant playing time and make huge contributions. That's not what I am saying at all. I'm saying that those who aren't recruited athletes, shouldn't be having "signing" parties implying they signed scholarships to play at these schools.

One of my best friend's sons was a non-invited walk on at an SEC power, recently earned a scholarship. I applaud him greatly! But he didn't sit at some table on signing day claiming he was "signing" with xxx like many others do. He walked on, tried out for the team, and enjoyed it once he achieved that goal.

It seems like the NLI is a reasonable measuring stick. When you have a school with 15-20 kids signing annually in multitudes of sports it can get very confusing without some way to quantify. That's my rant, sorry if it came across differently.

Milktruck74
March 6th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Ian hayes may not be the next davis tull but he is going to be a good player for us. He is a good kid and I'm sure his family was proud that he gets to play college football. Stop hating. Its no worse than you old guys who brag about your playing career when the competition, participation, and popularity of the sport was nothing like it is today.

Ian Hayes had a party at his own home to tell his family and friends where he was going to college....this isn't about him. It is about the entitlement that we continue to give mediocre athletes....so go shine up your participation trophies.

FUBeAR
March 6th, 2015, 01:44 PM
...when the competition...of the sport was nothing like it is today.

...and you know this to be a fact from your own extensive experience playing college football both then and now. Correct?

Twentysix
March 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM
I realize there are plenty of walk-ons that earn significant playing time and make huge contributions. That's not what I am saying at all. I'm saying that those who aren't recruited athletes, shouldn't be having "signing" parties implying they signed scholarships to play at these schools.

One of my best friend's sons was a non-invited walk on at an SEC power, recently earned a scholarship. I applaud him greatly! But he didn't sit at some table on signing day claiming he was "signing" with xxx like many others do. He walked on, tried out for the team, and enjoyed it once he achieved that goal.

It seems like the NLI is a reasonable measuring stick. When you have a school with 15-20 kids signing annually in multitudes of sports it can get very confusing without some way to quantify. That's my rant, sorry if it came across differently.

I'm sure they don't care what you think. They want to celebrate the exciting achievement of getting to play college football. More power to the kids.

bonarae
March 6th, 2015, 06:53 PM
OK, since the Ivies' recruits don't get such parties because they aren't guaranteed admission there until May, I rant at these too. I have noticed the pictures on this board that even D-III and NAIA signees are involved in this. It has gone way too far.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Damn, a lot of grown ups want to **** on a high school kids special moment.

Milktruck74
March 6th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I knew that would stir up some emotion...but I really don't care!!!! Just stating a fact...we have gone way too far.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I knew that would stir up some emotion...but I really don't care!!!! Just stating a fact...we have gone way too far.

The televised ones on ESPN have gone too far. Letting some kids be excited about playing college football and setting an example for younger ones within their own school is a good thing.

Milktruck74
March 6th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Congratulations, here is your last place trophy!!!!

PAllen
March 6th, 2015, 09:24 PM

Actually, you're stating an opinion. One with which I happen to agree, but still an opinion.

GAD
March 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Agree 100%

GAD
March 7th, 2015, 02:26 PM
OK, since the Ivies' recruits don't get such parties because they aren't guaranteed admission there until May, I rant at these too. I have noticed the pictures on this board that even D-III and NAIA signees are involved in this. It has gone way too far.
So a kid shouldn't celebrate just cause its a small school?

BisonFan02
March 7th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Its not a party until the hookers and cocaine show up......AMIRITE?!?!??!!! xlolx

Milktruck74
March 7th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Its not a party until the hookers and cocaine show up......AMIRITE?!?!??!!! xlolx

Booger Sugar???? is that the secret to you guys success????

bonarae
March 7th, 2015, 05:05 PM
So a kid shouldn't celebrate just cause its a small school?

It depends on the school the kid is committing to.

dgtw
March 7th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Everyone here is invited to my son's signing party with College of Faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
March 7th, 2015, 08:45 PM
It depends on the school the kid is committing to.

No it doesn't. Get over your ****in self.

Go Green
March 8th, 2015, 05:20 PM
No it doesn't.

Even the College of Faith?

:)

Pard4Life
March 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM
What are you talking about? We are to blame...

ESPN televises it because we will watch it... well... below the Mason-Dixon line mainly.

I am in New Jersey, and my HS simply has the kid pose for a photo with the letter and his coach and guidance counselor that's published a week later in the local town paper... and these are for kids that went to Notre Dame and some quality FCS programs.

walliver
March 9th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, the excitement can sometimes lead to events like this:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7525340/kevin-hart-recruit-lied-california-golden-bears-sign-missouri-western-state

This whole signing day hoopla is driven by multiple factors, most of which can be traced back to ESPN.

The top 4-star players want big publicity like LeBron James gets, and will keep their choice quite until a big media event. Other players see this nonsense and want the same. Frequently local media, especially in smaller markets jumps on this and encourages it. There are markets where a local player signing with the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople (http://www.pbase.com/themarmot/usnd&page=all) is big news. High School administrations are frequently involved in promoting this stuff also.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Somehow I think Western civilization will survive even though some football-playing athletes, who have worked hard and made sacrifices, get a ceremony in a library or gym to celebrate a continuation of playing football at the "next level", whether at a P5, FCS, D-II, D-III or wherever.

breezy
March 9th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Hey, LFN --

Are there going to be Patsy ratings this year?????

Ivytalk
March 11th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Unfortunately, the excitement can sometimes lead to events like this:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7525340/kevin-hart-recruit-lied-california-golden-bears-sign-missouri-western-state

This whole signing day hoopla is driven by multiple factors, most of which can be traced back to ESPN.

The top 4-star players want big publicity like LeBron James gets, and will keep their choice quite until a big media event. Other players see this nonsense and want the same. Frequently local media, especially in smaller markets jumps on this and encourages it. There are markets where a local player signing with the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople (http://www.pbase.com/themarmot/usnd&page=all) is big news. High School administrations are frequently involved in promoting this stuff also.

Are you a PDQ Bach fan?

walliver
March 11th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Are you a PDQ Bach fan?

I was wondering if anyone on a football board would catch the reference.

Bisonoline
March 13th, 2015, 10:53 PM
I think these parties are way over done. Don't care for them and dont watch them. Go to school prove yourself on the field. Then you can party.

Daytripper
March 15th, 2015, 11:56 AM
I think these parties are way over done. Don't care for them and dont watch them. Go to school prove yourself on the field. Then you can party.

It seems they have proven themselves at the high school level. Hence, the opportunity to play college football. Let them celebrate.

Bisonoline
March 15th, 2015, 08:52 PM
It seems they have proven themselves at the high school level. Hence, the opportunity to play college football. Let them celebrate.

Im not stopping them.. Just think its way over the top and idiotic.

Daytripper
March 16th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Im not stopping them.. Just think its way over the top and idiotic.

Now I know who to call when I need to determine whether my celebration is acceptable or not. Good to know you have the designation of judge of all things celebratory.

Bisonoline
March 18th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Now I know who to call when I need to determine whether my celebration is acceptable or not. Good to know you have the designation of judge of all things celebratory.

Call any time. Its obvious you may need some help when it comes to good judgment.xnodx:D