PDA

View Full Version : Valley 2015: Early preseason thoughts

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 28th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I'm bored so I thought this would be fun to see what other Valley fans thought.

Will anyone stop NDSU and Ill State this coming year?
Will SDSU be able to replace ZZ and Sumner?
Will SIU become a contender or not live up to their potential?
Will USD win a conference game this year?
Will UNI get their new offense running like a well oiled machine and have defenses run out of gas by running so many plays?
Will Western Ill take the next step this year and become a top tier team?
Will Pellini take Youngstown to the playoffs this year?
Can Ind State continue their surge off of last year's playoff run?
Missouri State: New coach. Can they improve?

It is really early but the top 5 teams that I see next year are: No particular order....yet.

Ill State
NDSU
UNI
YSU
SDSU

Ill State loses some senior starters but with Roberson and Coprich coming back, you have to have Ill State at the top of the conference race in '15.

NDSU has a ton coming back on offense this year. It all starts on the O-line and that unit is going to dominate with 4 starters back and a '13 starter coming back from injury. The defense loses a lot with both Ss, 3 LBs and the best defensive player in the FCS, Emanuel. IMO, the offense will carry the team until the defense finds its "stride".

UNI is a mystery right now for me. New offensive system coming in that utilizes a lot of plays at a fast pace. Will it work in the Valley? UNI is a perennially good team and I suspect they will be again.

Same with Youngstown. What will Pellini bring to the table at YSU? Good QB/RB combo will be back. Can they make the playoffs in '15?

SDSU has a ton coming back on defense in '15. Can Lujan step back in and continue where Sumner left off? ZZ is a huge loss. Can SDSU beat NDSU at home this year? 7 game losing streak to the Bison.

Of the other 5 teams, I think Western Ill is a team on the rise. Coach Nielson is a very good coach and I think they will be very good in '15. I think USD and MSU will be at the bottom of the conference in '15. USD has won only 3 conference games in 3 years and until they prove they can win consistently in the conference, I see them as a bottom feeder in '15. I thought Ind State overachieved this year. Can they continue the success w/o Perish at QB? And will Lennon be around if SIU doesn't make the playoffs in '15? SIU always surprises me. They always have a ton of talent but lose games they should win.

I'm looking forward to the '15 season. NDSU has a very legit chance of winning 5 straight NCs. It all starts in Missoula. Can the Griz defense stop the Bison offense?

blueballs
February 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM
ND St, then everybody else... not just in the Valley, but coast to coast too in FCS. They've proven it and until somebody does something about that's the way it is.

Houndawg
February 28th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I'm bored so I thought this would be fun to see what other Valley fans thought.

Will anyone stop NDSU and Ill State this coming year?
Will SDSU be able to replace ZZ and Sumner?
Will SIU become a contender or not live up to their potential?
Will USD win a conference game this year?
Will UNI get their new offense running like a well oiled machine and have defenses run out of gas by running so many plays?
Will Western Ill take the next step this year and become a top tier team?
Will Pellini take Youngstown to the playoffs this year?
Can Ind State continue their surge off of last year's playoff run?
Missouri State: New coach. Can they improve?

It is really early but the top 5 teams that I see next year are: No particular order....yet.

Ill State
NDSU
UNI
YSU
SDSU

Ill State loses some senior starters but with Roberson and Coprich coming back, you have to have Ill State at the top of the conference race in '15.

NDSU has a ton coming back on offense this year. It all starts on the O-line and that unit is going to dominate with 4 starters back and a '13 starter coming back from injury. The defense loses a lot with both Ss, 3 LBs and the best defensive player in the FCS, Emanuel. IMO, the offense will carry the team until the defense finds its "stride".

UNI is a mystery right now for me. New offensive system coming in that utilizes a lot of plays at a fast pace. Will it work in the Valley? UNI is a perennially good team and I suspect they will be again.

Same with Youngstown. What will Pellini bring to the table at YSU? Good QB/RB combo will be back. Can they make the playoffs in '15?

SDSU has a ton coming back on defense in '15. Can Lujan step back in and continue where Sumner left off? ZZ is a huge loss. Can SDSU beat NDSU at home this year? 7 game losing streak to the Bison.

Of the other 5 teams, I think Western Ill is a team on the rise. Coach Nielson is a very good coach and I think they will be very good in '15. I think USD and MSU will be at the bottom of the conference in '15. USD has won only 3 conference games in 3 years and until they prove they can win consistently in the conference, I see them as a bottom feeder in '15. I thought Ind State overachieved this year. Can they continue the success w/o Perish at QB? And will Lennon be around if SIU doesn't make the playoffs in '15? SIU always surprises me. They always have a ton of talent but lose games they should win.

I'm looking forward to the '15 season. NDSU has a very legit chance of winning 5 straight NCs. It all starts in Missoula. Can the Griz defense stop the Bison offense?

SIU won't even have the potential to not live up to in '15. We'll duke it out with USD for the sub-basement.

frozennorth
February 28th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Ndsu
illst
ysu
uni
will
sdsu
indst
MSU
USD
siu

1-7 will be playoff caliber.

I really like illst vs iowa next year.

RabidRabbit
February 28th, 2015, 03:53 PM
At SDSU, Lujan is going to be in a good battle to be the QB. With the SJAC training facility, there will be much improved spring drills. IMHO, Jacks will be in that 3-5 position, a game/two behind the AQ qualifier.

Bisonator
February 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
NDSU - The offense will need to carry the team the first few games but I expect the D to come around quickly.
ISUr - Their offense will be one of the best again.
UNI - They are a question mark for me this season. How will that offense perform, I expect the defense to be stout as usual.
SDSU - Lots of questions on offense but one of the best WR coming back. Defense should be good again.
YSU - Bo knows what? Playoffs??? We'll see I guess.
WIU - Tough defense. Need the offense to step up.
ISUb - Can they keep it going forward? Yet TBD.
SIU - Might be the Stache's last year. Been saying that about 3 years though.
USD - Yeah, sweep the Valley all right. xlolx
MSU - No clue but seems a logical choice with the complete overhaul.

Think we're back to 3 PO teams. Which ones is the question. I'd say NDSU, ISUr and UNI at this point.

BisonFan02
February 28th, 2015, 08:29 PM
UNI has Iowa State, Eastern Washington, and Cal Poly OOC...play NDSU, ISUr, and SDSU all on the road in conference...lost Johnson, Williams, Farley et al....call me crazy, but UNI has an uphill climb to make the playoffs next year.

TheKingpin28
February 28th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I'm glad to see that the rams will be coming back.

Bisonator
February 28th, 2015, 09:05 PM
UNI has Iowa State, Eastern Washington, and Cal Poly OOC...play NDSU, ISUr, and SDSU all on the road in conference...lost Johnson, Williams, Farley et al....call me crazy, but UNI has an uphill climb to make the playoffs next year.
ISU sucks, EWU lost VA and has no D, but yeah it'll be a tough schedule. I don't know when I expect them to struggle they do well and when I expect them to do well they struggle so I'm projecting! :D

mmiller_34
March 1st, 2015, 11:50 AM
On SDSU:

Defensively: I think our defense will improve a bit in 2015. I don't think they'll be over powering, and they wern't the best last year, but I do think that alot of younger players recieved meaningful playing time. It will be interesting to see how some of these playmakers develop over the offseason. We did lose Charles Elmore, but he didn't play at all last year anyway. STRENGTHS: Linebacking core & secondary. WEAKNESSES: DLine

Offensively: The QB position is open. I don't think Lujan is a lock for the starting position yet; he did a fine job backing up Sumner last year but he made me nervous on a good amount of his passes and he did not direct the offense the way Austin did. I've heard good things about Chris Little. We'll know more come spring football time. The RB position obviously took a hit losing Zenner. However, I think our run game will be fine. I said this back in 2012 when we got our new O-Line coach--the difference in the blocking is unreal. The holes will be there and we have plenty of capable backs that will be able to find them and put up numbers (not Zenner numbers) but productive numbers. STRENGTHS: OLine, WR Core, RB depth WEAKNESSES: lack of leadership (who will step to take the leadership role from Sumner, Zenner, and Schneider?)

Special Teams: Brand new Kicker, Brand new Punter. I guess we'll see.

Overall: This will be a new look Jacks team. I think we still have plenty of talent; Our first attempt at reloading from 2009-2010 didnt go so well. Hopefully we can reload and start off a hot team like we have the past three years. We won't beat NDSU or ILST. I Think we'll be right with UNI and YSU for 3-5th. Should be another barn burner in the Valley in 2015.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 1st, 2015, 11:54 AM
On SDSU:

Defensively: I think our defense will improve a bit in 2015. I don't think they'll be over powering, and they wern't the best last year, but I do think that alot of younger players recieved meaningful playing time. It will be interesting to see how some of these playmakers develop over the offseason. We did lose Charles Elmore, but he didn't play at all last year anyway. STRENGTHS: Linebacking core & secondary. WEAKNESSES: DLine

Offensively: The QB position is open. I don't think Lujan is a lock for the starting position yet; he did a fine job backing up Sumner last year but he made me nervous on a good amount of his passes and he did not direct the offense the way Austin did. I've heard good things about Chris Little. We'll know more come spring football time. The RB position obviously took a hit losing Zenner. However, I think our run game will be fine. I said this back in 2012 when we got our new O-Line coach--the difference in the blocking is unreal. The holes will be there and we have plenty of capable backs that will be able to find them and put up numbers (not Zenner numbers) but productive numbers. STRENGTHS: OLine, WR Core, RB depth WEAKNESSES: lack of leadership (who will step to take the leadership role from Sumner, Zenner, and Schneider?)

Special Teams: Brand new Kicker, Brand new Punter. I guess we'll see.

Overall: This will be a new look Jacks team. I think we still have plenty of talent; Our first attempt at reloading from 2009-2010 didnt go so well. Hopefully we can reload and start off a hot team like we have the past three years. We won't beat NDSU or ILST. I Think we'll be right with UNI and YSU for 3-5th. Should be another barn burner in the Valley in 2015.

But will it be safe to go into Cubby's afterwards?

Houndawg
March 1st, 2015, 12:13 PM
NDSU - The offense will need to carry the team the first few games but I expect the D to come around quickly.
ISUr - Their offense will be one of the best again.
UNI - They are a question mark for me this season. How will that offense perform, I expect the defense to be stout as usual.
SDSU - Lots of questions on offense but one of the best WR coming back. Defense should be good again.
YSU - Bo knows what? Playoffs??? We'll see I guess.
WIU - Tough defense. Need the offense to step up.
ISUb - Can they keep it going forward? Yet TBD.
SIU - Might be the Stache's last year. Been saying that about 3 years though.
USD - Yeah, sweep the Valley all right. xlolx
MSU - No clue but seems a logical choice with the complete overhaul.

Think we're back to 3 PO teams. Which ones is the question. I'd say NDSU, ISUr and UNI at this point.

If we were a football school I'd agree, but SIU is primarily a basketball school and we're still looking for an AD

mmiller_34
March 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM

I wish could tell you differently, but probably not

NoDak 4 Ever
March 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM
I wish could tell you differently, but probably not

I actually had an OK experience. We went for a bite but I had a 5 hr drive back home so we didn't stick around for the alcohol fueled revelry.

Thundar
March 1st, 2015, 06:35 PM

Nope, and after 2013 I refuse to go back to that dump

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 2nd, 2015, 06:30 AM
If we were a football school I'd agree, but SIU is primarily a basketball school and we're still looking for an AD

Even with the success that Kill had, Lennon would still get a pass this year if SIU underachieves?

** Just looked at the SIU football website and it says that Lennon's 42-28 record at SIU is the best winning % in any coaches' first 6 years.....he is probably safe this year...

clenz
March 2nd, 2015, 07:01 AM
Even with the success that Kill had, Lennon would still get a pass this year if SIU underachieves?

** Just looked at the SIU football website and it says that Lennon's 42-28 record at SIU is the best winning % in any coaches' first 6 years.....he is probably safe this year...
The overall number looks good, but look a bit deeper...

Also, I think their website is wrong for total record.

Let's look at D1 games only

His best two years were 2, upperclassmen loaded, teams that were full of Kill's recruits. Once Kill's players started working out of the program look what's happened. Zero playoff appearances since 2009 (Kill's last upperclassmen class, meaning that the JR and SR the next 2 years may have been Kill recruits but were dependent on Lennon to develop.

Since that time SIU is 25-29 vs D1 opponents.

Let's look at conference records..

1st

1st

7th

7th

5th

4th

7th

After that first two years they are sub .500 at 19-21

I think giving him this year, ignoring everything else going on at SIU is a good move, but not one more after this coming season if things don't get turned around...and I don't have much reason to believe they will.

Now, if we take into account all the issues currently at SIU, they can't afford...literally and figuratively...to do anything except let him finish the contract out. Look no further than a couple years ago with how long the gave basketball coach Chris Lowery and how that situation has turned out over the last 5-7 seasons

clenz
March 2nd, 2015, 07:09 AM
I know how I get when people talk about UNI's budget without understanding it, so I will defer to one of our esteemed SIU posters but things don't look good there.

Last fall they were going to shut the school paper down due to budget issues. That was saved thanks to big time donors and pretty big push back on it.

Then this came out recently

http://m.thesouthern.com/news/local/rauner-budget-proposal-would-cut-siu-by-million/article_6036837f-8aeb-519f-ae5f-0458f2817b28.html?mobile_touch=true

Highlights...

62 million cut in funding in the state with 44 million of that coming from Carbondale.

Set SIU back to funding levels of 1985-86

Falling enrollment creating $2mil, and growing, deficit.

Cutting nationally recognized golf team with out savings measures to come in the next few months.

Sounds as though SIU...and the state of Illinois, really...is in some real ****

Grizalltheway
March 2nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
It all starts in Missoula. Can the Griz defense stop the Bison offense?

Good question. Wagenmann and Takai are big losses on the D-line, but much like NDSU, there are guys with playing time under their belts ready to step up.

Keeping our DC who started coming into his own last year should help, and our LB corps will probably be the best in the conference.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is breaking in a brand new offensive scheme and QB against the Bison D, even if we are at home this time. Should be a fun one in any event.

Twentysix
March 2nd, 2015, 04:31 PM
ND St, then everybody else... not just in the Valley, but coast to coast too in FCS. They've proven it and until somebody does something about that's the way it is.

Four of the top 5 teams in the country are in the MVFC. Last year too...

1. NDSU 1b. ISUr 4. SDSU and 5. YSU will be the top 5 in the country.

UNI WIU MSU and ISUb will all be top 15.

The biggest question is, what conference will produce #3? Also, what are the odds that NDSU and ISUr are on the same side of the bracket in the playoffs this year?

underdawg
March 2nd, 2015, 06:49 PM
The overall number looks good, but look a bit deeper...

Also, I think their website is wrong for total record.

Let's look at D1 games only

His best two years were 2, upperclassmen loaded, teams that were full of Kill's recruits. Once Kill's players started working out of the program look what's happened. Zero playoff appearances since 2009 (Kill's last upperclassmen class, meaning that the JR and SR the next 2 years may have been Kill recruits but were dependent on Lennon to develop.

Since that time SIU is 25-29 vs D1 opponents.

Let's look at conference records..

1st

1st

7th

7th

5th

4th

7th

After that first two years they are sub .500 at 19-21

I think giving him this year, ignoring everything else going on at SIU is a good move, but not one more after this coming season if things don't get turned around...and I don't have much reason to believe they will.

Now, if we take into account all the issues currently at SIU, they can't afford...literally and figuratively...to do anything except let him finish the contract out. Look no further than a couple years ago with how long the gave basketball coach Chris Lowery and how that situation has turned out over the last 5-7 seasons

Here's a better one: Let's look at powerhouse UNI's record against lowly crippled SIU

2008: 27-24 SIU win

2009 27-20 SIU win

2010 45-28 SIU win

2011 17-10 SIU loss

2012 34-31 SIU win

2013 24-17 SIU win

2014 40-21 SIU loss

clenz
March 2nd, 2015, 07:50 PM
Shocking....a UNI fan can't have a rational discussion without a beaten dog trying to draw UNI through the mud...

Just ****ing shocking I tell you.

It's all they have left in life.

Their university is about to have 44 million cut from it's budget and sports about to get the ax.
The once proud football program is now a bottom half of the conference team
The once VERY proud SIU basketball program - the class of the Valley less than a decade ago has now finished bottom half in basketball every year starting in 08-09, been bottom 3 in 5 of those 7 seasons

I get it. It's all you have left.

TheKingpin28
March 2nd, 2015, 10:14 PM
Four of the top 5 teams in the country are in the MVFC. Last year too...

1. NDSU 1b. ISUr 4. SDSU and 5. YSU will be the top 5 in the country.

UNI WIU MSU and ISUb will all be top 15.

The biggest question is, what conference will produce #3? Also, what are the odds that NDSU and ISUr are on the same side of the bracket in the playoffs this year?

I doubt that the committee would do that. Then again I've seen stranger. I would think the committee would want a rematch of NDSU vs ISUr kind of like NDSU vs Sam Houston

Houndawg
March 13th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I know how I get when people talk about UNI's budget without understanding it, so I will defer to one of our esteemed SIU posters but things don't look good there.

Last fall they were going to shut the school paper down due to budget issues. That was saved thanks to big time donors and pretty big push back on it.

Then this came out recently

Sounds as though SIU...and the state of Illinois, really...is in some real ****

Hard times for sure, but thats life. We'll probably be 1-11 with a victory against UNI.xcoffeex

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Hard times for sure, but thats life. We'll probably be 1-11 with a victory against UNI.xcoffeex
And that would be a successful season for SIU

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
March 13th, 2015, 08:23 PM
And that would be a successful season for SIU

Same for USD fans if they went 1-11 with a win over SDSU

clenz
March 13th, 2015, 08:37 PM
To make the UNI QB situation even crazier they just landed a 4* transfer from Illinois. A lot of hype coming out of HS, and was called a Juice Williams type QB, but seemed to have issues with accuracy in his very limited throws.

He'll be a JR this year.

So...UNI is up to about 30 qbs right now.

I still feel so bad for Sawyer. These transfers aren't coming in to switch positions or not play right away. Sawyer deserves so much better than he got from former coach Verduzco. I can't blame the new OC for wanting his guy, and a longer term solution in place, than Sawyers 1 year.

I hope Sawyer graduates in May, transfers to some FBS school needing a stop gap and puts up about 4k yards if he isn't going to be the guy this year

Houndawg
March 14th, 2015, 09:02 AM
To make the UNI QB situation even crazier they just landed a 4* transfer from Illinois. A lot of hype coming out of HS, and was called a Juice Williams type QB, but seemed to have issues with accuracy in his very limited throws.

He'll be a JR this year.

I still feel so bad for Sawyer. These transfers aren't coming in to switch positions or not play right away. Sawyer deserves so much better than he got from former coach Verduzco. I can't blame the new OC for wanting his guy, and a longer term solution in place, than Sawyers 1 year.

I hope Sawyer graduates in May, transfers to some FBS school needing a stop gap and puts up about 4k yards if he isn't going to be the guy this year

Maybe check out a good D2 like the one that beat Sam Houston...

Houndawg
March 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM

He'll be a JR this year.

His story is pretty common actually. I guess he wasn't quite the can't miss prospect UNI fans were calling him.

clenz
March 14th, 2015, 10:43 AM
His story is pretty common actually. I guess he wasn't quite the can't miss prospect UNI fans were calling him.
Funny thing is Sawyer is a really damb good QB with really damn good numbers

WTFCollegefootballfan
March 14th, 2015, 10:47 AM
ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes North Dakota State junior QB Carson Wentz is "a player to watch for in 2016."
"Hard not to notice NDSU QB Carson Wentz [when studying film]," Weidl wrote. "Big strong kid with a presence. Effortless thrower." The 6-foot-6, 231-pound Wentz aces the eye test, and he's an early favorite to win FCS Player of the Year honors in 2015. During last season's 15-1 campaign, Wentz set school single-season records for passing attempts, completions, yards, and total offense per game. He threw for 3,111 yards with a 25/10 TD/INT ratio, and also broke NDSU's post-veer-option (1996) quarterback record with 642 rushing yards.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 15th, 2015, 10:05 AM

This here. I thought SK was going to take UNI to the NC game last preseason. He should transfer....he is a good QB. Lost his confidence last year but has the talent.

Houndawg
March 15th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Somebody will step up and find a way to choke. Its tradition.

Missingnumber7
March 16th, 2015, 03:59 PM
I think that its essnetially ISUR/NDSU's to lose, although that sounds like a tall statement I'm really just saying that both of these teams have put themselves in an excellent spot to do what they did this past year.
I think that YSU makes for an interesting hire at HC and we will see what the new coach does and who is in camp with him.
UNI has to many unknowns going forward to guess whwere they will sit, They'll play great D and be in games...it all leans on what Farley does with the offense.
ISUB has a propensity to follow a good year up with a gutter year or completely falling appart...can they overcome that? I dont' believe they do.
Other than that I just see a race to not be at the bottom.

It really doesn't look clear now, and honestly I doubt it will look clear until the 2nd weekend in Nov. One of the reasons I love the conference.

OSBF
March 19th, 2015, 10:52 AM

Some of our folks have been talking like Spak is loading up the roster again with FBS "down" transfers
Mix of guys just looking for PT and guys whom were told that there presence was no longer desired

AmsterBison
March 19th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Some of our folks have been talking like Spak is loading up the roster again with FBS "down" transfers
Mix of guys just looking for PT and guys whom were told that there presence was no longer desired

Well, doesn't look like ISU-Red took that many transfers this year. I'm more interested in how the DL will replace the two interior guys and how the OL will replace the two tackles and a guard.

I know that Coach Spack said before the 2014 season that the 2015 team could be really special so he must have some serious talent in the wings because those linemen were pretty good.

OSBF
March 19th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Well, doesn't look like ISU-Red took that many transfers this year. I'm more interested in how the DL will replace the two interior guys and how the OL will replace the two tackles and a guard.

I know that Coach Spack said before the 2014 season that the 2015 team could be really special so he must have some serious talent in the wings because those linemen were pretty good.

It seems like a lot of ours show up after spring ball, closer to the end of the semester

Yote 53
March 20th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I don't see USD contending for the conference but I certainly see them being a better team than in previous years. It has taken a couple of years for Joe Glenn to overhaul the program and, as with any overhaul project, there are going to be setbacks. I think it is just a matter of the young players we've had playing the last few years now having more experience along with adding more depth to the program. I've really liked the recruiting classes he's brought in and those players should start making an impact this season.

The reality is that NDSU has raised the competitive level of this conference to extreme heights and the other conference members are responding by raising their competitive levels as well. In any other conference USD would be just fine, a decent team with a respectable record. In the MVFC that gets you last place and a few beatdowns. I mean, look at the conference's OOC record against FCS competition. One loss, and that was by USD at Montana in a close game with our backup QB. We were 1-1 against the Big Sky yet didn't win a conference game. The conference is tough and I only see it getting better. My prediction is 3 conference wins minimum, which would be as many wins as we've had in the past three years combined and should be enough to keep us out of the cellar. Progress is all Coyote fans are looking for.

centennial
March 21st, 2015, 02:01 PM
http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/in-the-fcs-huddle-missouri-valley-spring-football/59750/32wC-J_WsEiCyA3r_kyQ4A

STORY LINESNew coach Dave Steckel steps in at Missouri State, seeking to lift a Bears program that had only one winning record in conference play (5-3 in 2013) in Terry Allen's nine seasons. The Bears need more offensive consistency as they replace four-year starting quarterback Kierra Harris.
The biggest name among FCS head coaching changes was Youngstown State's Bo Pelini, who came aboard after an eight-year stint at Nebraska. Expectations are high with the Penguins after they fell just short of an at-large playoff berth following a second straight November meltdown.
For a change, the offense will be ahead of the defense at North Dakota State, which is replacing its two starting defensive ends, two outside linebackers and two safeties. The big loss on offense is running back John Crockett.
Illinois State might be NDSU's biggest threat in the nation again, not just in the Missouri Valley. But coach Brock Spack has to replace six starters on offense and five on defense. The Redbirds redshirted some players last season and brought in some transfers, so there are potential answers to the questions.
Northern Iowa was the only team to beat North Dakota State and it was the only one to beat Illinois State until NDSU did it in the national final. Coach Mark Farley has to get his squad ready early because the opening stretch of games is challenging.
It's a good thing South Dakota State returns an experienced defense (including nine starters) because on the other side of the ball, the Jackrabbits have lost career passing leader Austin Sumner, three-time 2,000-yard rusher Zach Zenner and all-conference wide receiver Jason Schneider.
Coming off its first FCS playoff bid in 30 years, Indiana State has to brace for a difficult road portion of the 2015 schedule. But the Sycamores return 10 starters from a strong defense, led by All-American linebacker Connor Underwood.
Injuries have plagued South Dakota since moving to the Missouri Valley in 2012, but, as a result, coach Joe Glenn has many experienced players at his disposal. A full season out of talented running back Trevor Bouma will go a long way.
What could have been for Western Illinois. The Fighting Leathernecks, at 5-7 a year ago, led both North Dakota State and Illinois State in the fourth quarter and trailed by six points at halftime at Wisconsin and by seven at halftime at Northwestern. With a solid returning cast, third-year coach Bob Nielson must feel this will be a breakthrough season.
Southern Illinois has fallen to the middle ranks of the Missouri Valley after being a former power, and the Salukis have lost plenty of key players off last year's disappointing 6-6 squad. They will be helped if quarterback Mark Iannotti can return to his high level at the start of last season before he lost the top job later on.

Professor Chaos
March 23rd, 2015, 11:12 AM
Here's my wild stab at the conference hierarchy:

1) NDSU - I think this will be the best offensive team the Bison have had since going D1. The only major loss is John Crockett but given how good the O-line will be the RBs they have returning will be able to pile up yards. The defense has some question marks but NDSU's coaching staff knows how to mold a championship defense.
2) IlSU - They bring back the big names in Roberson and Coprich but there's some question marks on both lines which I think was an underappreciated strength of this team last year. Regardless, they have supreme talent and a great coach.
3) SDSU - The defense should be quite a bit better and they've got the best WR in the conference (who's only a sophomore). My biggest question is at QB. Last year Lujan seemed to be quite turnover prone.
4) YSU - They bring back a very talented stable of skill position players on offense. Bo Pelini knows how to coach defense so this team could shoot up the conference standings this year. For now I'll put them at 4 and likely in the playoffs.
5) UNI - I'm not convinced their new OC is going to be able to make his scheme work right away with their personnel. I think a brutal early season schedule leads to offensive struggles which puts too much pressure on the UNI defense and ultimately dooms their conference title and playoff hopes.
6) SIU - I'm not sure where to put SIU, the sum of the talent on their roster usually seems to be greater than the team they put out there. I'm not sure Lennon can withstand another middling season in the conference, I think he's used up the patience he's been given.
7) WIU - This team is going to surprise a few people this year. I don't think they're good enough to get into playoff contention but they're going to give a contender or two who doesn't take them seriously an L.
8) MSU - I really liked their hire at HC but they lose Kierra Harris who I think was one of the most valuable players in the conference given the talent, or lack thereof, around him.
9) InSU - I felt like Perish is what really made this team go last year. Their defense is good enough to keep them in games but now that he's gone it's going to be tough for them to score points against the quality of defenses they'll see around the MVFC.
10) USD - I thought Joe Glenn would be able to pull this team out but he seems to be spinning his wheels so far. Until they show me something on the field I can't justify taking them out of the basement.

BisonFan02
March 23rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Here's my wild stab at the conference hierarchy:

1) NDSU - I think this will be the best offensive team the Bison have had since going D1. The only major loss is John Crockett but given how good the O-line will be the RBs they have returning will be able to pile up yards. The defense has some question marks but NDSU's coaching staff knows how to mold a championship defense.
2) IlSU - They bring back the big names in Roberson and Coprich but there's some question marks on both lines which I think was an underappreciated strength of this team last year. Regardless, they have supreme talent and a great coach.
3) SDSU - The defense should be quite a bit better and they've got the best WR in the conference (who's only a sophomore). My biggest question is at QB. Last year Lujan seemed to be quite turnover prone.
4) YSU - They bring back a very talented stable of skill position players on offense. Bo Pelini knows how to coach defense so this team could shoot up the conference standings this year. For now I'll put them at 4 and likely in the playoffs.
5) UNI - I'm not convinced their new OC is going to be able to make his scheme work right away with their personnel. I think a brutal early season schedule leads to offensive struggles which puts too much pressure on the UNI defense and ultimately dooms their conference title and playoff hopes.
6) SIU - I'm not sure where to put SIU, the sum of the talent on their roster usually seems to be greater than the team they put out there. I'm not sure Lennon can withstand another middling season in the conference, I think he's used up the patience he's been given.
7) WIU - This team is going to surprise a few people this year. I don't think they're good enough to get into playoff contention but they're going to give a contender or two who doesn't take them seriously an L.
8) MSU - I really liked their hire at HC but they lose Kierra Harris who I think was one of the most valuable players in the conference given the talent, or lack thereof, around him.
9) InSU - I felt like Perish is what really made this team go last year. Their defense is good enough to keep them in games but now that he's gone it's going to be tough for them to score points against the quality of defenses they'll see around the MVFC.
10) USD - I thought Joe Glenn would be able to pull this team out but he seems to be spinning his wheels so far. Until they show me something on the field I can't justify taking them out of the basement.

Kinda agree with this except I would flip the top two (for now)...SDSU is maybe a bit high....YSU is a complete wild card for me at this point. The talent is definitely there....what will Bo do with it is the question.

Twentysix
March 23rd, 2015, 10:38 PM
Kinda agree with this except I would flip the top two (for now)...SDSU is maybe a bit high....YSU is a complete wild card for me at this point. The talent is definitely there....what will Bo do with it is the question.

Some of the years Wolford was coaching YSU they could have probably made quarter/semi finals if not for him. He was an atrocious coach. He always seemed like a "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" kind of guy to me.

BucBisonAtLarge
March 24th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Travelled back east this month to watch some Bucknell hoops (beat HC in the PL quarters) and soak in some of the hype surrounding the arrival of Bo Pellini in Youngstown (I married a Penguin.) There is a lot of excitement in town, with a big jump in season ticket sales and more chatter about the details of the YSU team than I have heard in a while. The favorite relic from this stay i this t-shirt, now on rotation in our house:

Kemo
March 24th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Travelled back east this month to watch some Bucknell hoops (beat HC in the PL quarters) and soak in some of the hype surrounding the arrival of Bo Pellini in Youngstown (I married a Penguin.)

I didn't think bestiality was legal anywhere in this country. New Mexico must be a progressive state. xdrunkyx

BucBisonAtLarge
March 24th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Well, they shoot coyotes and jackrabbits...

NoDak 4 Ever
March 24th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I didn't think bestiality was legal anywhere in this country. New Mexico must be a progressive state. xdrunkyx

At least not cross-breeding.

I married another Bison on campus at the Alumni Center. Doesn't get any more homogeneous than that.

REALBird
May 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM
NDSU then everyone else. Last year was a wonderful season where Illinois State came up a bit short. Hope our guys use it as motivation, but we have a lot of football and lots of questions to answer before we're given the #2 spot in conference. Talking about NCAA seeding at this point is just crazy talk. One at a time and let's see how we fare.

BisonFan02
May 9th, 2015, 08:26 AM
NDSU then everyone else. Last year was a wonderful season where Illinois State came up a bit short. Hope our guys use it as motivation, but we have a lot of football and lots of questions to answer before we're given the #2 spot in conference. Talking about NCAA seeding at this point is just crazy talk. One at a time and let's see how we fare.

I'll call that about a "7" on the McNeese standard of sandbagging. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 9th, 2015, 05:27 PM

Doesn't Ill State need to replace 3 starters on the OL?

Roberson and Coprich being back is enough to make Ill State a preseason NC contender.

Catatonic
May 14th, 2015, 08:17 AM
The biggest unanswered question regarding the Valley is whether Fake Bo Pelini @fauxpelini will carry on now that Bo is at YSU? Dude is a Twitter genius.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/451038023791038464/wG6l0e_5.jpeg

I-AA Fan
May 14th, 2015, 10:50 AM
NDSU will stay the way they are until the new coach wants to make his own mark on the team. That is, run his plays, recruit his players, etc.. Right now, he is playing in the system. He is really just another position coach at this point.

Pelini has 2 things that he needs to do at YSU:

1. Realize that this level of ball is tougher than Nebraska & requires more out of a coach for a fraction of the the legal paycheck.

2. Start recruiting football players instead of athletes. What good are the fastest corners in the country of they cannot jump or tackle?

You look at YSU under Wolford ..every season they start out like gangbusters ...even beat Pitt, never trailed, never struggled in the game. So why was it that they lose to the better teams in the former Gateway? Well, it is actually quite simple ...teams that do not follow or really spend summer camp preparing for YSU (teams not in the conference) see all of this speed & height (athleticism) ...so opposing QB's see YSU secondary all over the field ...then tuck and run, or the YSU LB's shift outside & the opposing backs go off tackle. On the other hand, teams in the MVFC know the YSU corners cannot cover, so they throw the ball against them, with success.

Some of the YSU players even acknowledged they were sick of it by November & did not like playing in the cold. Well, what were these guys smoking when they signed to play in NE Ohio? I went to a couple of practices under Pelini & he is about as much of a "Youngstowner" as it gets; so the attitude is completely different. Here is an example:

After a play in the final spring scrimmage, Pelini yells over to YSU's Ruiz (arguably the top back in the conference) and and says "...you run like a girl...". Ruiz replies some like, oh yeah, put your best guy on the field up against me and I'll show you who looks like a girl. They both cracked a smile ...then back to work. Pelini was toughening him up & showing him that there is "a new sheriff in town". Ruiz now knows he needs to earn the #1 spot & was throwing it right back. Youngstown is still a blue-collar town, Wolford came in with a new style of ball (finesse) & did not win. It is one thing to play a style of ball we all hate & win ...it is another to change the game and not get results. I never liked Wolf, but I always respected him. I look for Pelini to bring back some toughness to the Ice Castle.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 10:53 AM
NDSU will stay the way they are until the new coach wants to make his own mark on the team. That is, run his plays, recruit his players, etc.. Right now, he is playing in the system. He is really just another position coach at this point.

1. Realize that this level of ball is tougher than Nebraska & requires more out of a coach for a fraction of the the legal paycheck.

2. Start recruiting football players instead of athletes. What good are the fastest corners in the country of they cannot jump or tackle?

You look at YSU under Wolford ..every season they start out like gangbusters ...even beat Pitt, never trailed, never struggled in the game. So why was it that they lose to the better teams in the former Gateway? Well, it is actually quite simple ...teams that do not follow or really spend summer camp preparing for YSU (teams not in the conference) see all of this speed & height (athleticism) ...so opposing QB's see YSU secondary all over the field ...then tuck and run, or the YSU LB's shift outside & the opposing backs go off tackle. On the other hand, teams in the MVFC know the YSU corners cannot cover, so they throw the ball against them, with success.

Some of the YSU players even acknowledged they were sick of it by November & did not like playing in the cold. Well, what were these guys smoking when they signed to play in NE Ohio? I went to a couple of practices under Pelini & he is about as much of a "Youngstowner" as it gets; so the attitude is completely different. Here is an example:

After a play in the final spring scrimmage, Pelini yells over to YSU's Ruiz (arguably the top back in the conference) and and says "...you run like a girl...". Ruiz replies some like, oh yeah, put your best guy on the field up against me and I'll show you who looks like a girl. They both cracked a smile ...then back to work. Pelini was toughening him up & showing him that there is "a new sheriff in town". Ruiz now knows he needs to earn the #1 spot & was throwing it right back. Youngstown is still a blue-collar town, Wolford came in with a new style of ball (finesse) & did not win. It is one thing to play a style of ball we all hate & win ...it is another to change the game and not get results. I never liked Wolf, but I always respected him. I look for Pelini to bring back some toughness to the Ice Castle.

This makes zero sense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 14th, 2015, 08:04 PM

Ditto on what NoDak just wrote.

Pellini has a lot of work to do to make YSU a top team in the Valley. I've watched them fold up like a cheap chair in the 2nd halves of most of the Bison games in recent years.

We'll see.

NDSUSR
May 15th, 2015, 01:24 AM
Pellini will fail again.. Its predictable.
Its Kliemans time to shine or sink. A 5 peat is a very hard row to hoe.

penguinpower
May 15th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Pelini has the same kids as the previous coach. We will see how he does. He is a better coach but the team is full of athletes and the question is are they football players. There was some crazy stuff said in the Youngstown news paper about the toxic environment under Wolford. We will see what happens. The players like him so far. Offensive staff remains in place for the most part. Defensive staff is completely turned over.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 15th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Pelini has the same kids as the previous coach. We will see how he does. He is a better coach but the team is full of athletes and the question is are they football players. There was some crazy stuff said in the Youngstown news paper about the toxic environment under Wolford. We will see what happens. The players like him so far. Offensive staff remains in place for the most part. Defensive staff is completely turned over.

Where is Wolford now?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 15th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Where is Wolford now?
Assistant O Line coach for the 49ers.

Talk about failing upwards.

penguinpower
May 15th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Sanfansisco 49ers OL coach

penguinpower
May 15th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Debartolo/ York family owns the 49ers and they are from Youngstown. He got an easy way out. One of the benefits of Youngstown football I guess. You get taken care of. The 49ers practice at YSU when playing east coast games so he has had access to the 49ers organization over several years

Bisonoline
May 16th, 2015, 08:31 PM

What system would that be? He replaced almost every position coach and both coordinators.. The players on last years team many were recruited by him. He won a national championship. I think hes made his mark.