PDA

View Full Version : THE dumbest controversy ever... (Portland State Vikings)

Lehigh Football Nation
February 25th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I'll just drop this here:

http://psuvanguard.com/news/viking-sticker-campaign-raises-concerns-about-inclusion/

Model Citizen
February 25th, 2015, 01:16 PM
The no-face Viking image is also discriminatory on the basis of species. I'd bet that salmon were in the Portland area before any people.

Model Citizen
February 25th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Shoulda gone with Admiral Ackbar.

http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-bigger.jpg (http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-bigger.jpg)

Grizalltheway
February 25th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Portland.xlolx

blueballs
February 25th, 2015, 02:32 PM
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. PC is a self inflicted disease that is devouring academia from within.

Libertine
February 25th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Why is Portland State the Vikings anyway? Is there a lot of Scandinavian influence along the Willamette?

Maybe a good thread would be "Pick a new mascot for Portland State:". I suggest the "Portland State IFC Target Audience Members".

Bisonoline
February 25th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Talk about making a freaking mountain out of nothing. Wow.

DuckDuckGriz
February 25th, 2015, 06:38 PM
The largest public school in Oregon too. So dumb.

WestCoastAggie
February 25th, 2015, 06:59 PM
They could always call themselves the Homers.

centennial
February 25th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Portlandia

clenz
February 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Those that scream the loudest for diversity are those that fight true diversity the most

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cocky
February 26th, 2015, 08:39 AM
If one person is offended it should change. Have no idea what it is but please do not offend anyone.

There is nothing wrong with some people not liking you or your ideas.

You should work as hard to piss a few people off as you do to make a few people like you.

BisoNick
February 26th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Portland.xlolx

The first thing I thought of was the show Portlandia and how it would be a good sketch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
February 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
As a descendant of the real Vikings, I am offended about the statement saying that the term Viking is as offensive as the term Redskin.

I think that I'll shave off my blonde beard in protest. Of course, I'll have to grow one first.

PC has become a fixation to a growing number of idiots in this country. There are so many problems in this country that are serious and should be dealt with- instead, they waste time manufacturing an issue.

Grizalltheway
February 26th, 2015, 09:40 AM
If one person is offended it should change. Have no idea what it is but please do not offend anyone.

You should work as hard to piss a few people off as you do to make a few people like you.

Huh?

walliver
February 26th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Free Speech is guaranteed, but it is a shame that some fringe opinions get as much traction as this.
Apparently, mascots representing white guys are hurtful to non-whites, but non-white mascots are offensive to the races represented. So we definitely need to get rid of human-based mascots.
Gamecocks are out because cock fighting is not good, and this likely would be applied to Chanticleers also.
All canine mascots are out because it's probably somehow related to dog-fighting or canine abuse at dog tracks.
Flames are offensive to transvestites.
Crimson Tide, the Orangemen, the Green Wave and their ilk are hurtful to the color-blind.
Patriots are offensive to "undocumented immigrants".
Bison is an offensive term to over-weight coeds.
And Paladins are just generally offensive.

But, if you have the money, Fighting Irish, Illini and Seminoles are A-OK.

Will we all just do like Stanford and name our teams after trees.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 26th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Political correctness is tyranny with manners. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
February 26th, 2015, 12:52 PM
20610....'JESS...ANOINT EVERAH TEAM......."EAGLES".......IT'S 'MERICA'S BIRD.......ALONG SIDE...DUH FIGHTIN'...BLUEHEN......DAT IS.....xrotatehx...BRAWK!

Panther88
February 26th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Interesting. xreadx

Aren't bears, mountain lions, and such native to that area? Portland State Sequoias... I dunno'.

Nickels
February 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
This situation reeks of blue donkeys.

DFW HOYA
February 27th, 2015, 08:15 PM
The oddest quote in the article: "The point is that there are still students for whom that display would be alienating,” Gates continued. “Students with disabilities, students with accessibility difficulties.”

Really? The Viking is a slight to people in wheelchairs?

PSU: where "identity" is more important than unity.

clenz
February 27th, 2015, 08:22 PM
They can't stand up to get their face in the sticker....

Discrimination

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
March 2nd, 2015, 09:53 PM
The Vikings plundered the villages of my ancestors in Ireland and Scotland and I have no problem cheering for the Minnesota Vikings.

Would it help if they put a bird on his head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmLljk2t8M

grizband
March 7th, 2015, 11:03 AM
How about the Portland hipsters?

gumby013
March 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM
How about the Portland hipsters?

As soon as the make the name change, it will be too mainstream.

JALMOND
March 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Why is Portland State the Vikings anyway? Is there a lot of Scandinavian influence along the Willamette?

PSU (actually Vanport College) was founded by WWII veterans. In choosing a mascot, they wanted one that started with a "V" for Veteran. The best they could come up with at the time was "Vikings". I guess we now could call ourselves "Portland State Veterans".

DFW HOYA
March 8th, 2015, 07:51 PM
PSU (actually Vanport College) was founded by WWII veterans. In choosing a mascot, they wanted one that started with a "V" for Veteran. The best they could come up with at the time was "Vikings". I guess we now could call ourselves "Portland State Veterans".

Or "Vaqueros". Of course, that's not going so well, either....

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1121757#.VPzuf_nF9yU

Laker
March 8th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Or "Vaqueros". Of course, that's not going so well, either....

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1121757#.VPzuf_nF9yU

One group wants to keep the Broncs name, which is what UT- Pan American was. Another group doesn't like the cultural idea of being a mascot. A Vaquero would be a Mexican cowboy. I suppose that they could go back to the UT-Brownsville Ocelots. I don't think many schools have that.

Scooter
March 10th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I think, in an effort to make everyone free from being offended at nicknames we will start right at the top..

North Dakota State University ....wait... Dakota, that has Native American origins sooooo...

The Geographical Center of North America State University Bison. Wait...Native Americans hunted the Bison and might be offended that we named our team after a native american staple food....To make sure that I don't offend anyone the new nickname will be ajkhfdiu (randonly punched keys on my keyboard)

Now that NDSU is done...sorry Geographical Center of North America State University, lets go on to the next...

Go ajkhfdiu!!!!
They are all a bunch of goddamn idiots. (The PCers)