PDA

View Full Version : FBGP's NFL Draft Small College Spotlight: The Fordham Four

FootballCEO
February 23rd, 2015, 09:18 AM
http://footballgameplan.com/fbgps-2015-small-college-spotlight-the-fordham-four/

Good morning AGS! Here's my NFL Draft Spotlight for "The Fordham Four": Brian Wetzel, Tebucky Jones Jr., Dan Light & Sam Ajala

Enjoy!

Em

PAllen
February 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Very nicely done. Obviously there were some skills on display there. However, how much do you think QB play and the very weak defenses they faced helped them out?

FootballCEO
February 23rd, 2015, 10:09 AM
Very nicely done. Obviously there were some skills on display there. However, how much do you think QB play and the very weak defenses they faced helped them out?

Thanks PAllen! To be honest, I think QB play limited a lot of the potential with this group…Nebrich left a lot of yards on the field. From a traits perspective, they excel regardless of who they're playing IMO.

hebmskebm
February 23rd, 2015, 10:13 AM
Do you really think all four will be drafted? That would be so awesome for an FCS program.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
At the FCS level, Wetzel was always the guy who gave me nightmares. That's not to say Ajala and Jones, Jr., were not great FCS wideouts, they were, but damn Wetzel underneath finding holes vs. linebackers in holes in the zone was a constant nightmare. So was Light, but Wetzel covered so much ground in the slot - you never know where he'd end up.

FootballCEO
February 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM
Do you really think all four will be drafted? That would be so awesome for an FCS program.

I think maybe one (Ajala) may get drafted…I do think all four will end up on an NFL roster next year. Mostly Practice Squad candidates.

At the FCS level, Wetzel was always the guy who gave me nightmares. That's not to say Ajala and Jones, Jr., were not great FCS wideouts, they were, but damn Wetzel underneath finding holes vs. linebackers in holes in the zone was a constant nightmare. So was Light, but Wetzel covered so much ground in the slot - you never know where he'd end up.

Wetzel's versatility just SCREEEEEEAMS New England Patriots. Can play all special teams plus is versatile as a WR

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2015, 11:48 AM
I think maybe one (Ajala) may get drafted…I do think all four will end up on an NFL roster next year. Mostly Practice Squad candidates.

Wetzel's versatility just SCREEEEEEAMS New England Patriots. Can play all special teams plus is versatile as a WR

I have a hunch that someone will take a flyer on Tebucky Jones, Jr. in the later rounds, remembering Tebucky Jones, Sr. As for Wetzel, the word "Chrebet" leaps to mind. Pats camp sounds about right.

JimboCBA72
February 25th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks PAllen! To be honest, I think QB play limited a lot of the potential with this group…Nebrich left a lot of yards on the field. From a traits perspective, they excel regardless of who they're playing IMO.

Care to elaborate? I personally witnessed every snap Nebrich took over the past two years and I would venture to say it was his play that brought out the best in these guys. In '13, Mike appeared in 13 games, completed 74% of his passes for 4400 yds, 35TDs and just 7 INTs. This past season he was hobbled by lingering knee issues all year yet his comparable numbers were 64%, 3600, 30 and 9. In addition he was the fiery leader of the offense and was intensely competitive, almost to a fault. How much better would you want your QB to be?

smallcollegefbfan
February 25th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Light and Ajala are the two highest rated by the clubs, for the most part. I don't see any of them getting drafted unless they light up a pro day. There is also a CB at Fordham who may get into a camp. They had 5-6 guys who were getting asked about by NFL teams this fall.

JimboCBA72
February 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Light and Ajala are the two highest rated by the clubs, for the most part. I don't see any of them getting drafted unless they light up a pro day. There is also a CB at Fordham who may get into a camp. They had 5-6 guys who were getting asked about by NFL teams this fall.

Light was getting a lot of interest because of his special teams ability along with his pass catching and blocking skills. Unfortunately, he suffered a knee injury on the last play of the first half vs. Army and fans of his can only hope he will be fully recovered by pro-day

FootballCEO
February 28th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Care to elaborate? I personally witnessed every snap Nebrich took over the past two years and I would venture to say it was his play that brought out the best in these guys. In '13, Mike appeared in 13 games, completed 74% of his passes for 4400 yds, 35TDs and just 7 INTs. This past season he was hobbled by lingering knee issues all year yet his comparable numbers were 64%, 3600, 30 and 9. In addition he was the fiery leader of the offense and was intensely competitive, almost to a fault. How much better would you want your QB to be?

Looking at the stats, yes. But looking at his reads, placement, sacks taken he should've produced a hellava lot more. It was on 3 separate, live occasions (St. Francis, Lafayette, Lehigh), where I've seen the same things from him.