PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh interviews at Iowa State...

putter
November 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Sorry USD fans, looks like Jim is trying to take his show to the Big 10.

Copyright 2006, Des Moines Register

November 17, 2006

Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and San Diego head coach Jim Harbaugh have interviewed to replace Dan McCarney as football coach at Iowa State.

Norvell, a former Iowa State assistant coach, was interviewed Thursday night in Dallas, according to three independent sources close to Norvell.

Harbaugh also was interviewed in Dallas, sources told The Des Moines Register.

Multiple sources close to both candidates said Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard and senior associate athletic director David Harris conducted the interviews.

McCarney concludes 12 seasons as Iowa State’s coach after Saturday’s 1 p.m. game against Missouri at Jack Trice Stadium. He resigned on Nov. 8.

Pollard, reached by The Register late this afternoon, was asked about both candidates: "I am not talking about the search," Pollard said.

Neither Norvell nor Harbaugh could not be reached for comment. Their representatives also could not be reached.

BearsCountry
November 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Iowa State is Big 12, not Big 10.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM
like I said....

putter
November 17th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Iowa State is Big 12, not Big 10.

Thanks Bears, must have had a little keyboard slip...:bawling:

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
This doesn't seem like a smart move, bye week or otherwise...

Harbaugh, 42, left practice early Thursday and told players and university officials he would be unavailable until Sunday. According to sources, Harbaugh reportedly offered the defensive coordinator position at ISU to a current NFL assistant, who turned down the position.

Harbaugh played college football at Michigan and played 15 years in the NFL. He attended elementary school in Iowa City.

http://www.crgazette.com/2006/11/17/Home/harbaughiowastate.htm

USDFAN_55
November 17th, 2006, 06:00 PM
"Speculation swirls that Harbaugh would bring several players with him to Iowa State, should he accept the position. Because the school does not offer athletic scholarships for football, it's likely any player who transfers would not be required to sit out a year."

If this would be the case, do you think he would take Josh Johnson with him? That would help out Josh's NFL draft potential greatly. As a USD fan I will still continue to hold on to the little bit of hope that is left that Harbaugh will stay in San Diego one more year to see what he can accomplish with Johnson and the rest of the team with a tougher schedule.

Model Citizen
November 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM
"Speculation swirls that Harbaugh would bring several players with him to Iowa State, should he accept the position. Because the school does not offer athletic scholarships for football, it's likely any player who transfers would not be required to sit out a year."

That's not the way it works. They would have to sit out.

crunifan
November 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Eww, just what we need, a loud mouth coach in Ames...

USDFAN_55
November 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM
What are the exact rules for transfering? When would a player not sit out?

MplsBison
November 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I think anytime a player moves up the division ladder, he must sit out a year.

If he moves down, he doesn't sit.

USDFAN_55
November 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Well that is good news for USD fans if it is true.

Umass74
November 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Yes. This prevents the I-A teams from "cherry picking" all the talent out of lower divisions.

Maverick
November 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I-A to I-AA (with at least 2 years eligibility remaining) does not sit. I-AA to I-A must sit. Don't forget the new exception for a grad student who has eligibility remaining in football that allows them to be immediately eligible. Also the aid issue, with a release from the old school a student can be immediately eligible for aid, without it cannot receive athletic aid. Does not apply to the grad students as far as I have heard.

Model Citizen
November 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Also, there is a provision that a transfer from a I-AA program offering athletic related financial aid to a I-AA program offering no equivalencies doesn't have to sit out.

That's why the DL transfer USD a couple of years ago from Bucknell played immediately. On the other hand, your DB from Dartmouth had to sit out.

Reed Rothchild
November 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Word is that ISU AD Pollard is interviewing these guys down in Texas. So, without a visit to ISU, nothing is going to happen for a bit.

That is rediculous about bringing in and starting Johnson. Have fun trying to find P.T. for Johnson. ISU already has a 4 year starter returning at quarterback and true freshman who is redshirting now and is going to be better.

ISU is not going to hire Harbaugh despite all these "rumors". The big money donors don't want a guy with as little experience as him. Remember that Drake is in ISU's back yard and the people who donate to ISU are mostly from Des Moines. They know the level of football that USD and Drake are in. Despite how good of a season USD is having, Harbaugh needs more experience at a higher level to win their approval. ISU fans are tough to win over. They have to constantly look at the success their in-state rival Iowa has had over the last few years and constantly ask themselves if they are good enough to beat the Hawks. Plus, they play in the Big 12 and despite what other people think, ISU fans want to be able to compete year in and year out with they big boys in Texas and for a Big 12 north title. They won't want a guy who is coaching at a I-AA scholly program who is about to get trounced in the first round of the playoffs.

I have no doubt in Harbaugh's recruiting ability, as I saw first-hand what he could do at Western Kentucky, but he needs more higher level experience as a head coach.

JohnStOnge
November 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Either way, that would be a pretty low-class thing to do.

rmutv
November 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
So much for the inside information saying that Harbaugh was staying put.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16711

How do you feel as a player if your coach is actively pursuing another head coaching job when your season isn't even over yet? You still have UC Davis and (probably) the Gridiron Classic. Or, if all of your dream scenarios come true and the Old Guard learns a new trick and puts San Diego in the playoffs, you have to prepare for a team you have no experience playing.

If I'm a San Diego football player, I'm ticked beyond belief right now.

Go Poly
November 18th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Yep. 1-aa to 1-a, and sit out a year. 1-a to 1-aa, and play right away.

That's how it works.

Torero Tradition
November 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
So much for the inside information saying that Harbaugh was staying put.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16711

which part didn't you understand... "Word on the inside is Harbaugh will probably be around for another year at least. Although his name is expected to come up for several jobs this off-season, maybe even an interview or two. If it is something really good... he would take it. If not, he'll be back to Alcala Park. Harbaugh thinks he will have more leverage in another year... plus he thinks next years team will be head and shoulders better than this years playoff contention team, which he believes will be selected this Sunday."

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 12:49 AM
You would think it would be nice to wait until after the season. But I don't blame Harbaugh. He wants a real gig.

siugrad99
November 18th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Yep Iowa State is something "Really Good" Your just like those morons on TV who get you to think that they can read your mind by playing on words. You did that with your statement. Do us a favor, once USD doesn't get into the playoffs how about going away for about 6-8 months.

GrizFoo
November 18th, 2006, 03:19 AM
How long has Harbaugh been at USD?

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Yep Iowa State is something "Really Good" Your just like those morons on TV who get you to think that they can read your mind by playing on words. You did that with your statement. Do us a favor, once USD doesn't get into the playoffs how about going away for about 6-8 months.

I don't blame them for being excited about the year they're having. I don't blame them for wanting to see their team in the playoffs. And I for sure don't blame them for being disappointed if they lose their head coach.

I also don't blame a coach for looking into the possibility of taking a job that would pay him a lot more and also provide opportunity to further build his resume so that he could do even better in the future. Still sad that it comes up right now while they're still involved in their dream season.

TxSt02
November 18th, 2006, 07:41 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOTOREROS
November 18th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I don't blame them for being excited about the year they're having. I don't blame them for wanting to see their team in the playoffs. And I for sure don't blame them for being disappointed if they lose their head coach.

I also don't blame a coach for looking into the possibility of taking a job that would pay him a lot more and also provide opportunity to further build his resume so that he could do even better in the future. Still sad that it comes up right now while they're still involved in their dream season.

Thanks JohnStOnge. Yes, it is dissapointing for this news of an interview to come up during the end of the season.

People can attack we USD fans if they want, but this has been a magical season for us. I have enjoyed every minute of it and even if we fail to make the playoffs I will be happy. Some here seem to think that we will slink off into the sunset if we don't get a bid. Sorry, I will be here for a long time....

Thanks to many of you for putting up with us and good luck the rest of the year!

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I have enjoyed every minute of it and even if we fail to make the playoffs I will be happy. !

If I had to bet I'd bet USD will not make the playoffs. But I hope they do. I think it'd be interesting plus it's gotten to the point where I'd like to see them get a chance to prove themselves. I-AA fans are very familiar with having their teams' accomplishments dismissed because they're not playing the strongest college football schedules. I'm a I-AA fan. I recognize that USD has a relatively weak schedule as compared to other playoff apirants. I think the schedule strength should be objectively taken into account.

But I do not believe in ruling a team completely out based on schedule strength.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I can't imagine having to read his crap in the paper every day. :bang:

:D

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I can't imagine having to read his crap in the paper every day. :bang:

:D

I don't see how the discussion going on there with respect to San Diego can be anything but good for I-AA football. There are more people paying at least some attention to it now than there would be if the discussion wasn't going on, it wasn't in the San Diego newspaper, etc.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I don't see how the discussion going on there with respect to San Diego can be anything but good for I-AA football. There are more people paying at least some attention to it now than there would be if the discussion wasn't going on, it wasn't in the San Diego newspaper, etc.

I live in Iowa..I'm referring to having to read Harubaugh's crap in his interviews if he took a job at Iowa St.

HI54UNI
November 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Yep Iowa State is something "Really Good"

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HI54UNI
November 18th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Iowa St. is a kiss of death on a football coaches resume.

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Iowa St. is a kiss of death on a football coaches resume.

Not always. If I remember correctly Johnny Majors had a good run there in turning the program around then went on to Pittsburgh where he won a "mythical" national championship. At least I think that's what happened.

HI54UNI
November 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Not always. If I remember correctly Johnny Majors had a good run there in turning the program around then went on to Pittsburgh where he won a "mythical" national championship. At least I think that's what happened.

OK, in recent times then.