PDA

View Full Version : Furman drops Jax St. for UCF

hebmskebm
February 19th, 2015, 12:57 PM
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/201502186m77k0

Back to back FBS games to start the season. They even mention the financial aspects of the move in the press release.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Too bad. Was looking forward to that game.

Cannot help but wonder whether the news out of Orangeburg has something to do with this.

Imagine there has to be a really good reason. This game made a lot of sense for both Jacksonville State and Furman.

walliver
February 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Tough schedule with CCU, VT and UCF in the first three weeks. A 1-2 or even 0-3 start is quite possible and will make an at-large bid difficult.

Wofford has two FBS games, but Idaho is not in the same category as UCF or VT.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Tough schedule with CCU, VT and UCF in the first three weeks. A 1-2 or even 0-3 start is quite possible and will make an at-large bid difficult.

Practically speaking, trading UCF for Jacksonville State is not a monumental jump in my opinion. Tough games either way you slice it.

If there is a silver lining, Furman plays Virginia Tech after the Hokies host Ohio State on a Monday night. UCF plays Furman after traveling to a game at Stanford, and before playing South Carolina in Columbia. Both of those teams will be coming off exhausting games and short weeks against a Furman team that is going to look positively awful on film from last year.

Who knows, we may hang around long enough to steal one.

OL FU
February 19th, 2015, 01:34 PM
:(

blueballs
February 19th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Too bad. Was looking forward to that game.

Cannot help but wonder whether the news out of Orangeburg has something to do with this.

Imagine there has to be a really good reason. This game made a lot of sense for both Jacksonville State and Furman.

JSU and FU have played some real good games over the years too....

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2015, 03:05 PM
JSU and FU have played some real good games over the years too....

Yes. Played them three years in a row, I think. The first of those three games (a 2004 playoff game in Greenville) was not pretty for the Gamecocks (49-7, I think), but the other two were real good games.

Hard to believe it has been 10 years since these shenanigans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

FUBeAR
February 19th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Practically speaking, trading UCF for Jacksonville State is not a monumental jump in my opinion. Tough games either way you slice it.

If there is a silver lining, Furman plays Virginia Tech after the Hokies host Ohio State on a Monday night. UCF plays Furman after traveling to a game at Stanford, and before playing South Carolina in Columbia. Both of those teams will be coming off exhausting games and short weeks against a Furman team that is going to look positively awful on film from last year.

Who knows, we may hang around long enough to steal one.

My opinion is this is a GREAT schedule change for FU. I'm sure the 'Dins will be picking up a pretty hefty upside on the cash side and are not sacrificing a home game to do it. Also, despite the argument that can be reasonably made regarding probability of an at-large bid, I think this is a WIN for the Team as well. IF FU had started 0-3, as I'm fairly certain would have been projected, with 2 FCS teams in that mix, I think the Players would have been quite challenged to 'pull it together' for the conference race. It doesn't take much for doubt to creep into the pysche of any team as losses pile up. BUT, now they could, for example, barely lose the usual nail-biter vs. CCU in the opener, lose by 3 or 4 scores to VT, and lose by 1 or 2 scores to UCF....be that same 0-3 and STILL feel very confident that they have a great chance to make a run for the SoCon title. If they win just any one of those 1st 3 games, they gotta feel great about their chances to win the SoCon as well. Even if they were to get blown out in all 3, I think they would have a heckuva lot better chance to get 'erase the slate' mentally and then go compete for the SoCon. If I'm an FU Football Fan, I'm doing the Snoopy Happy Dance over this announcement today!

https://lovindanger.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dance-gif-snoopy-happy-animated-image-49277.gif

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Regardless of the first three out of conference games, if our team goes into the conference slate healthy, I like our chances just as much as anyone's.

OL FU
February 20th, 2015, 05:49 AM
My opinion is this is a GREAT schedule change for FU. I'm sure the 'Dins will be picking up a pretty hefty upside on the cash side and are not sacrificing a home game to do it. Also, despite the argument that can be reasonably made regarding probability of an at-large bid, I think this is a WIN for the Team as well. IF FU had started 0-3, as I'm fairly certain would have been projected, with 2 FCS teams in that mix, I think the Players would have been quite challenged to 'pull it together' for the conference race. It doesn't take much for doubt to creep into the pysche of any team as losses pile up. BUT, now they could, for example, barely lose the usual nail-biter vs. CCU in the opener, lose by 3 or 4 scores to VT, and lose by 1 or 2 scores to UCF....be that same 0-3 and STILL feel very confident that they have a great chance to make a run for the SoCon title. If they win just any one of those 1st 3 games, they gotta feel great about their chances to win the SoCon as well. Even if they were to get blown out in all 3, I think they would have a heckuva lot better chance to get 'erase the slate' mentally and then go compete for the SoCon. If I'm an FU Football Fan, I'm doing the Snoopy Happy Dance over this announcement today!

https://lovindanger.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dance-gif-snoopy-happy-animated-image-49277.gif

You may be right. But I like playing strong FCS teams and was looking forward to it. Hate to see it go away.

citdog
February 20th, 2015, 05:50 AM
furman sucks

FUBeAR
February 20th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Regardless of the first three out of conference games, if our team goes into the conference slate healthy, I like our chances just as much as anyone's.

Just like with real humans, football players/teams have physical, mental, and emotional health. I think this schedule change drastically reduces the mental and emotional health risk FU was facing at the beginning of the 2015 season.

You may be right. But I like playing strong FCS teams and was looking forward to it. Hate to see it go away.

I agree, but THIS season, following on last season's disappointment, FU opening with 2 very strong FCS teams wrapped around a strong FBS team with 2 of those 3 on the road, IMO, held tremendous danger of crushing the psyche of the Players/Team....something like a patient recovering from a heart attack and entering an Ironman Event the next month. Now, the risk of going 0-3 to open is, IMO, only marginally increased, but the 'new' 0-3 has a chance of looking/feeling a lot better than the 'old' 0-3.

BTW - I do not subscribe to the theory I occasionally see/hear expressed that there is a greater risk of physical injury in playing FBS teams. That's a bunch of hooey (FU's game with Pitt about 10 years ago excepted).

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2015, 06:28 AM

Absolutely. That was a road game I was likely going to attend.

Its a business, and this looks like a business decision.

OL FU
February 20th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Absolutely. That was a road game I was likely going to attend.

Its a business, and this looks like a business decision.

Not really stating a position of rights, wrongs, etc. Just as a fanxnodx

OL FU
February 20th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Just like with real humans, football players/teams have physical, mental, and emotional health. I think this schedule change drastically reduces the mental and emotional health risk FU was facing at the beginning of the 2015 season.

I agree, but THIS season, following on last season's disappointment, FU opening with 2 very strong FCS teams wrapped around a strong FBS team with 2 of those 3 on the road, IMO, held tremendous danger of crushing the psyche of the Players/Team....something like a patient recovering from a heart attack and entering an Ironman Event the next month. Now, the risk of going 0-3 to open is, IMO, only marginally increased, but the 'new' 0-3 has a chance of looking/feeling a lot better than the 'old' 0-3.

BTW - I do not subscribe to the theory I occasionally see/hear expressed that there is a greater risk of physical injury in playing FBS teams. That's a bunch of hooey (FU's game with Pitt about 10 years ago excepted).

Certainly 0-3 was possible and may be even likely. But while less likely, 2-1 was possible. it is less possible now.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2015, 07:19 AM

I suppose that is possible if you forget 2013. Furman was 2-4 with several ugly losses and a near miss to Presbyterian, that at the time many would have seen as the worst loss in decades. They got healthy, and basically bludgeoned the rest of the SoCon schedule.

Coming off a dismal 2014, the last thing you want to do is start out 0-3. Circle that week 1 Coastal game. Don't want to put too much emphasis on a week 1 game, but a win there would be huge. Home game, Coastal graduated a bundle, and Furman has played them real close the last three meetings.

Libertine
February 20th, 2015, 08:43 AM
BTW - I do not subscribe to the theory I occasionally see/hear expressed that there is a greater risk of physical injury in playing FBS teams. That's a bunch of hooey.. .

Agreed. Points for you, sir.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Agreed. Points for you, sir.

Just pinging my memory, I would say that the majority of crippling injuries Furman has endured over the years have come against underdogs.

The sole exception is the 2004 game against Pitt, where they were taking every cheap shot they could find to claw back into that football game.

parr90
February 20th, 2015, 12:04 PM

No Idaho is not in that category, but I saw them against GS this past year and they may be a tough game for yall. They have a big OL and QB throws the ball around well and alot. This is a winnable FBS game for Wofford though IMO.

parr90
February 20th, 2015, 12:08 PM
My opinion is this is a GREAT schedule change for FU. I'm sure the 'Dins will be picking up a pretty hefty upside on the cash side and are not sacrificing a home game to do it. Also, despite the argument that can be reasonably made regarding probability of an at-large bid, I think this is a WIN for the Team as well. IF FU had started 0-3, as I'm fairly certain would have been projected, with 2 FCS teams in that mix, I think the Players would have been quite challenged to 'pull it together' for the conference race. It doesn't take much for doubt to creep into the pysche of any team as losses pile up. BUT, now they could, for example, barely lose the usual nail-biter vs. CCU in the opener, lose by 3 or 4 scores to VT, and lose by 1 or 2 scores to UCF....be that same 0-3 and STILL feel very confident that they have a great chance to make a run for the SoCon title. If they win just any one of those 1st 3 games, they gotta feel great about their chances to win the SoCon as well. Even if they were to get blown out in all 3, I think they would have a heckuva lot better chance to get 'erase the slate' mentally and then go compete for the SoCon. If I'm an FU Football Fan, I'm doing the Snoopy Happy Dance over this announcement tod
UCF may be as good if not better than VT.

Milktruck74
February 20th, 2015, 12:16 PM
As far as injuries increasing in FBS games, I'd say the exact opposite. Most FBS games are well determined before halftime...coaches (and officials) realize less plays = less chance for injuries...therefore they slow the play and allow the clock to run a little more....many more running plays in the second half. I would love to see an average number of plays on an FBS vs FCS game vs FBS Vs FBS or FCS vs FCS.....I'm sure the data is probably out there in the cyber world.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 20th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I must admit I find it kind of funny that an possible 0-3 start, and a near-certain 1-2 start, is being spun as such a positive.

First, I don't really see the value in moral defeats (assuming they will be moral defeats) helping the team in any way except financially. One FBS body bag game, as a test of might, is cool. Two, not so much.

Second, I see that third game vs. UCF as be a whitewash after the grueling preparation for the first two huge challenges. How do you prep for that team after the first two? And I'm counting prepping for Coastal as a bigger FD than VT, whose offense is awful.

I could see the 2nd FBS game if Davidson is the third OOC game, an easy morale-inducing home victory. But Coastal is a budding powerhouse that would test a full-strength Furman whenever it's played during the season. Doing the other FBS games are only a distraction that could equal an 0-3 start with three double-digit losses that will only make citdog happy.

OL FU
February 20th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I must admit I find it kind of funny that an possible 0-3 start, and a near-certain 1-2 start, is being spun as such a positive.

First, I don't really see the value in moral defeats (assuming they will be moral defeats) helping the team in any way except financially. One FBS body bag game, as a test of might, is cool. Two, not so much.

Second, I see that third game vs. UCF as be a whitewash after the grueling preparation for the first two huge challenges. How do you prep for that team after the first two? And I'm counting prepping for Coastal as a bigger FD than VT, whose offense is awful.

I could see the 2nd FBS game if Davidson is the third OOC game, an easy morale-inducing home victory. But Coastal is a budding powerhouse that would test a full-strength Furman whenever it's played during the season. Doing the other FBS games are only a distraction that could equal an 0-3 start with three double-digit losses that will only make citdog happy.

I agree. but I am not sure anyone was really saying an 0-3 is a positive. They were saying that 0-3 against UCF is better than 0-3 against JSU. My point was, while difficult, the odds of beating JSU is better than the odds of beating UCF. But oh well, I wrung my hands over the UD cancellation 6 years ago. not going to continue to do it here.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2015, 01:24 PM

We will see. Furman has played Coastal to overtime two of the past three seasons and lost by seven on the road. That is a winnable game for Furman, especially in Paladin Stadium.

I do not expect to beat VT. However, Furman's last trip to Blacksburg (2008) had the Paladins down 3-0 at the half (VT kicker knocked in a field goal with under 30 seconds left in the 2nd Q). Granted, we lost by 17 largely because VT's defense was something else. That was a top 15 team after the dust settled.

Furman will be underdogs in all three. No question. Don't overlook the fact that Coastal plays at Furman in week 1, instead of sandwiched in the middle of the SoCon schedule. UCF is playing at Stanford before playing Furman, so they will have a long cross country flight and a big game against a good team with a big road game against USC the following week. VT will have Ohio State at home on a Monday night to kick off the season, so they have a short week coming off what will be one of the biggest game in Blacksburg in years.

Not saying that means anything, but it could be worse.

OL FU
February 20th, 2015, 03:40 PM
One of the things mentioned on the Furman board and I think the Jacksonville State board is that we bought out 2015 and 2016. Not sure if that is the case.

blueballs
February 20th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I'll most likely be at the FU/UCF game so you purps feel free to pm me and we'll meet for beers when the time comes.

Cocky
February 20th, 2015, 05:44 PM
One of the things mentioned on the Furman board and I think the Jacksonville State board is that we bought out 2015 and 2016. Not sure if that is the case.
The local paper reported both as cancelled. I would hope we wouldn't play at Greenville next year without a return date. If Furman was willing to come to JSU next year, I would be happy to play.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM
The local paper reported both as cancelled. I would hope we wouldn't play at Greenville next year without a return date. If Furman was willing to come to JSU next year, I would be happy to play.

From our board, it seems JSU is getting 50k for each unplayed game, and Furman gets a nice six figure deal from UCF.

I truly hope they put these games back on the schedule in the immediate future.

Cocky
February 21st, 2015, 08:08 AM
Seems we have a tough time finding a quality OOC opponent to play.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2015, 09:49 AM
Seems we have a tough time finding a quality OOC opponent to play.

It is just a different time. This was the first season in years Furman wasn't playing Presbyterian. Those marquee ooc games are just harder to come by in this environment, especially when a school offers you a bunch of money to not play them.

Personally, the pretty routine meetings between JSU/UTC and Furman/CCU are about as marquee an ooc matchup you will see in the regular season among FCS teams.

Milktruck74
February 21st, 2015, 11:34 AM
It is just a different time. This was the first season in years Furman wasn't playing Presbyterian. Those marquee ooc games are just harder to come by in this environment, especially when a school offers you a bunch of money to not play them.

Personally, the pretty routine meetings between JSU/UTC and Furman/CCU are about as marquee an ooc matchup you will see in the regular season among FCS teams.

I'd like to see some sort of loose agreement between the Big South, OVC and SoCon to try and 2 teams from the other conferences for OOC games every year...That would be 7 or 8 conference games, 2 OOC from a decent conference and then a money game to round out the schedule. I know scheduling basketball is much easier, but something like the ACC and Big East use to do...It would keep us from scheduling D2s, NAIAs, and the College of Faith.

Sandlapper Spike
February 21st, 2015, 12:05 PM
One issue with Furman potentially starting 0-3 is that it would mean the Paladins would be on a streak of losing 12 of their last 13 games. That might not be so great for team confidence heading into the league slate.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2015, 01:48 PM
One issue with Furman potentially starting 0-3 is that it would mean the Paladins would be on a streak of losing 12 of their last 13 games. That might not be so great for team confidence heading into the league slate.

Quite possibly. Furman is just such an enigma at this stage. We responded well to adversity in 2013, but have played so few games at something close to full strength that it is difficult to even speculate.

In any event, it is not like this was a foregone conclusion going into 2015. Furman had VT and two top 10 FCS teams before the change. Not like team didn't know they were going to have to come out of the gates swinging.

I suppose Furman could go and schedule Warner, Virginia-Wise, Stillman, or a local high school team to pad stats and pat ourselves on the backs. Maybe eviscerating a lower division team would help morale.

As I said before, the 2013 season showed this team has fight. Not many teams have pulled off what Furman did that season. I personally think that if the Paladins head into the conference slate with their team remotely healthy, they will have the confidence to beat anyone.

Cocky
February 21st, 2015, 02:10 PM

We had to give UTC two home games to get a commitment to play one at JSU. SOCON teams are now in a situation similar to OVC teams only having a few quality, in conference, opponents to test them during the regular season. Come playoff time this isnt a good plan. Top level team in the Southeast need to be playing one another.

I do understand the desire to take the money and play against a winnable FBS opponent.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 21st, 2015, 03:06 PM
Hopefully O'Leary and boys jump on Furman early and often. The AAC can't afford to lose FCS games. I think Villanova has a great chance to beat UConn but otherwise the league should hold up.

It's a shame Furman is in a financial position where they have to play 2 FBS games. Hopefully they get run by both VTech and UCF so they're forced to use better judgment moving forward.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2015, 03:26 PM
Hopefully O'Leary and boys jump on Furman early and often. The AAC can't afford to lose FCS games. I think Villanova has a great chance to beat UConn but otherwise the league should hold up.

It's a shame Furman is in a financial position where they have to play 2 FBS games. Hopefully they get run by both VTech and UCF so they're forced to use better judgment moving forward.

Appreciate the vote of confidence. Furman historically fends well in FBS games. Whatever happens against VT and UCF will matter naught come SoCon time.

UCF is a good program, but I am not convinced they are going to be significantly tougher than I was expecting Jacksonville State to be. I might be wrong. Back to back FBS games is going to be tough.

I don't think it has anything to do with good judgment. It is a business decision. Furman can make a six figure pay day by playing one football game all while marketing itself to Florida or make nothing to play two football games against JSU. No brainer.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 21st, 2015, 04:29 PM
I think this could be a good one, assuming Furman gets back to where they should be as a football team. UCF is going to very much be in rebuilding mode with only 9 starters returning (near the bottom of the FBS). A Samford team that finished in the middle of the SoCon went to UCF in 2009 and would've beaten them without a late special teams touchdown. UCF simply being in the AAC doesn't make them any better than the rest of us malcontents that left the FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 21st, 2015, 05:29 PM
Appreciate the vote of confidence. Furman historically fends well in FBS games. Whatever happens against VT and UCF will matter naught come SoCon time.

UCF is a good program, but I am not convinced they are going to be significantly tougher than I was expecting Jacksonville State to be. I might be wrong. Back to back FBS games is going to be tough.

I don't think it has anything to do with good judgment. It is a business decision. Furman can make a six figure pay day by playing one football game all while marketing itself to Florida or make nothing to play two football games against JSU. No brainer.

As a FBS alum and FCS fan these games drive me crazy. If they must exist I don't think more than one should be played either way. I also hate the "pay-day games". If Furman wants to schedule GSU, Troy, UCF, Cincinnati, ECU etc. that's perfectly fine. However, when you already have Virginia Tech on the schedule I don't see it. One could argue that UCF is the better program right now but Lane Stadium with those athletes on defense is a tall, tall task. Furman MIGHT keep it respectable against UCF. Still, the odds of actually winning the game are very very small.

FCS needs more Jacksonville State-Furman games It annoyed me when Montana State took a paycheck from SMU instead of manning up against NDSU. If a particular school does no have the money to sufficiently fund football without comprising elsewhere there should be a serious evaluation done.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM
I think this could be a good one, assuming Furman gets back to where they should be as a football team. UCF is going to very much be in rebuilding mode with only 9 starters returning (near the bottom of the FBS). A Samford team that finished in the middle of the SoCon went to UCF in 2009 and would've beaten them without a late special teams touchdown. UCF simply being in the AAC doesn't make them any better than the rest of us malcontents that left the FCS.

I would say their paycheck from the Fiesta Bowl win suggests otherwise. UCF also gets quality OOC games (Missouri, South Carolina, BYU) at their stadium. George O'Leary has developed a pretty steady program in Orlando. He puts quite a few guys in the NFL...

The Knights are rebuilding to a point. They were "rebuilding" last year and went 9-4 after the 12-1 season in 2013. Their schedule is pretty tough, @ Stanford and @ South Carolina in the OOC, but not insurmountable. UCF will likely finish with 8-10 wins again this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 21st, 2015, 06:00 PM
It would be one thing if they were getting UCF Week 1, but they're getting them with a week turnaround after two brutal games. Even getting VT after a tough opener vs. CCU will be a tall order.

OL FU
February 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM
I have no idea of the finances. From a fan perspective only I was looking forward to the jsu games. I hope we can schedule them in the future.

PaladinFan
February 22nd, 2015, 06:48 AM
I would say their paycheck from the Fiesta Bowl win suggests otherwise. UCF also gets quality OOC games (Missouri, South Carolina, BYU) at their stadium. George O'Leary has developed a pretty steady program in Orlando. He puts quite a few guys in the NFL...

The Knights are rebuilding to a point. They were "rebuilding" last year and went 9-4 after the 12-1 season in 2013. Their schedule is pretty tough, @ Stanford and @ South Carolina in the OOC, but not insurmountable. UCF will likely finish with 8-10 wins again this year.

In 2004 Furman had a 17 point 4th quarter lead over Pitt, and eventually lost in overtime. That Pitt team went to the Fiesta Bowl too. Furman had nine players in NFL camps two years ago.

UCF is a good team. Furman will be underdogs. If we get run out of the stadium, it will surprise me. We typically play ACC and SEC schools and hold our own.

SU DOG
February 22nd, 2015, 09:42 AM
In 2004 Furman had a 17 point 4th quarter lead over Pitt, and eventually lost in overtime. That Pitt team went to the Fiesta Bowl too. Furman had nine players in NFL camps two years ago.

UCF is a good team. Furman will be underdogs. If we get run out of the stadium, it will surprise me. We typically play ACC and SEC schools and hold our own.

I watched that Pitt Game on TV and if my memory serves me correctly, it was one of the most obviously biased officiated games I have ever seen. That plus some devastating injuries kept the better team that day from getting the win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 22nd, 2015, 10:16 AM

UCF might actually be better than that Pitt team except there's no Larry Fitzgerald. Temple was nothing more than a glorified D2 team (the vote to shut down our program came the summer of 2005) and we nearly beat the Panthers that year as well. Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East that year so the conference was on the skids. WVU was probably the best team in the league in 2004.

Furman was also a better program at that time too. They reached the second round of the playoffs before falling to JMU 14-13.

We'll see how this year plays out for Furman. Obviously a game from over a decade ago means nothing...

OL FU
February 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
UCF might actually be better than that Pitt except there's no Larry Fitzgerald. Temple was nothing more than a glorified D2 team that year (the vote to shut down our program came the summer of 2005) and we nearly beat the Panthers that year as well. Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East that year so the conference was on the skids. WVU was probably the best team in the league in 2004.

Furman was also a better program at that time too. They reached the second round of the playoffs before falling to JMU 14-13.

We'll see how this year plays out for Furman. Obviously a game from over a decade ago means nothing...

I think Pitt was a little bit of an enigma that year. They tied for first in the Big East and represented in a BCS bowl is my recollection. But they certainly had some bad moments. Was also one of Furman's better years. The JMU game still gives me heartburn but that is a different story.

But games ten years ago may not be predictors of games next year, but Games ten years ago mean a hell of a lot more than nothing.:)

PaladinFan
February 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
I think Pitt was a little bit of an enigma that year. They tied for first in the Big East and represented in a BCS bowl is my recollection. But they certainly had some bad moments. Was also one of Furman's better years. The JMU game still gives me heartburn but that is a different story.

But games ten years ago may not be predictors of games next year, but Games ten years ago mean a hell of a lot more than nothing.:)

Games last year mean nothing. Games ten years ago means nothing. Heck, Furman beat UCF 42-6 30 years ago in their only other meeting.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 23rd, 2015, 08:33 AM

P5 home games have nothing to do with how good you are or your conference affiliation. Troy has gotten Duke (when they were supposed to be good), Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri at home and they play in the Sun Belt and aren't even in any kind of tourist destination like UCF is.

As far as the Fiesta Bowl win, unless they find another Blake Bortles somewhere that's going to be an outlier season or them. Like I said, if a mediocre Samford team can go there and play a close game with a UCF team that finished 8-5, a top-25 FCS should be able to give them a game. UCF has been an up-and-down team with O'Leary and I don't think they'll they'll be that strong this year.

The main question in my mind is if Furman can get back to where they were in late 2013.

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
P5 home games have nothing to do with how good you are or your conference affiliation. Troy has gotten Duke (when they were supposed to be good), Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, and Missouri at home and they play in the Sun Belt and aren't even in any kind of tourist destination like UCF is.

As far as the Fiesta Bowl win, unless they find another Blake Bortles somewhere that's going to be an outlier season or them. Like I said, if a mediocre Samford team can go there and play a close game with a UCF team that finished 8-5, a top-25 FCS should be able to give them a game. UCF has been an up-and-down team with O'Leary and I don't think they'll they'll be that strong this year.

The main question in my mind is if Furman can get back to where they were in late 2013.

Your last point is the key one. I believe the Furman team from the latter half of 2013 is Furman's current talent level. Unfortunately, we cannot stay healthy enough to see that team take the field.

UCF will be a tough team. I can get a big picture of them overlooking an FCS team early in the season in a game sandwiched between two huge road games for them. Especially an FCS team that went 3-8 last season.

blueballs
February 23rd, 2015, 05:38 PM
I quit going to GSU games after the 2012 App game and now attend UCF games. Here's a thumbnail scouting report...

They graduated their 3 best receivers, pretty much the entire defensive backfield, and MLB Terrence Plummer, who was one of the best ever at UCF and probably should have his jersey retired. They bring back pretty much everything else.

They will score because their QB has NFL talent and now has a year under his belt. They will be able to run the ball. They won't be anywhere near as good defensively as they have been the past two years.

I'd put the line at UCF -24.

Also, Allegiant flies from Greenville/Spartanburg to Sanford, FL, which is about 15-20 minutes from UCF. The flights should be pretty cheap and Sanford is a small enough airport to be really convenient.

Redbirdz
February 24th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Well, I like Furman and we were looking forward to hosting them. I do think Jacksonville State would have beaten them soundly so a loss to UCF will be an L too. JSU will get a good replacement. Wheels are turning.

FUBeAR
February 24th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I believe the Furman team from the latter half of 2013 is Furman's current talent level. Unfortunately, we cannot stay healthy enough to see that team take the field.

Not saying FU's talent level is worse, better, or the same as the FU team of the latter half of 2013, but as with all college (and high school) teams, the roster 'turns' very quickly. Only 41 players on FU's current 2015 roster of 92 players (less than 45%) were on that 86 man roster of 2013. Maybe all 41 of those 'hold-overs' were and are the key players of 2013 and/or maybe the 51 'new' players gained are way better than the 45 'old' players lost, but, IMO, the team that takes the field for the 'Dins in 2015, even if 100% healthy all season long, will not be 'that team' that played in the latter half of 2013 and they won't be the team that went 3-8 in 2014 either. Of course tradition, coaching continuity, etc. play their part in the success (or failure) of a team, but each season, for the most part, stands on its own and that season's players write their own 11 to 16 chapter story.

I guess one could say I'm stating the obvious, but my real point, which I don't think I have made very well (again), is that Team Chemistry and Leadership matter A LOT and great (or bad) teams, IMO, are always much greater than (or not necessarily as bad as) the sum of their parts. Intangibles still matter.

dgtw
March 25th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Jax State has found a replacement for Furman. They will play Mississippi Valley State on October 3. The game with Tennessee State has been moved to September 19.

Many thanks to TSU for helping us out!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk