View Full Version : CAA Off-Season Chatter

Mattymc727
February 17th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Alright boys,

Any title contenders this year?

Surprises?

Interesting news/changes?

Look for UNH to take a slight drop offensively, but they are still playoff material.

fc97
February 17th, 2015, 06:45 AM
elon will be dead last, bank on it. worse than this year.

Mattymc727
February 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
How about Albany/Stony Brook? Stony Brook gave UNH a good game last year and I thought they returned a lot.

Is W&M ready to make a comeback?

danefan
February 17th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Albany has a lot of question marks. last year we rode some seniors who had great years but we were exposed at the points of attack that really matter in the CAA - lines. We also had the luxury of a very soft OOC schedule last year which helped in the confidence department.

I personally think this is the rebuilding year for us. Unless a QB and RB steps up out nowhere - a .500 season would be great.

NHwildEcat
February 17th, 2015, 12:30 PM
The question is, can anybody beat UNH?

tribefan40
February 17th, 2015, 01:43 PM
The question is, can anybody beat UNH?

I'm pretty sure the Tribe will get back in to that familiar territory this year in Williamsburg. xthumbsupx

Only question mark for the Tribe remains quarterback, with Cluley returning from a middling year backed by several promising but unknown prospects. Defense will be stout, and offense looks to be more than capable if QB situation is stable.

CAA, imo, should be solid outside of Elon and URI, with a handful of top-tier teams.

Gangtackle11
February 17th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'd have to say that any conversation about who is atop the CAA will have Villanova in it.

Too bad that the CAA schedule makers have UNH- Villanova on ice in 2014/15.

Hopefully a showdown in FCS playoffs will settle it.

tribe_pride
February 17th, 2015, 02:29 PM
One of the Tribe's biggest issues is the schedule (some of it self-imposed issue).

We start off going to Lafayette and then immediately have a bye before going to UVA which is interesting because I don't believe that we have ever played our FBS team other than Week 1. Luckily they have Notre Dame before us and Boise right after us so hopefully we get overlooked.

The bye that early means our final 10 games will be played without any breaks.

Our final 4 weekends in October will be @Nova, UNH, Hampton, @JMU. Potentially the top 3 CAA teams (all who will be fighting for playoffs) will be in that group right there. Would have been nice to have put Hampton (or another game) before UVA and then put the bye before JMU.

With UVA in Week 3 and Nova, UNH, and JMU being in October, if the team isn't strong, we could be almost out of it before November hits as this is an 11 game season. We'll need to beat UNH at home and potentially steal one @ Nova or JMU to stay in it going into November.

Unfortunately, we miss out on URI and Maine. The positive to this is that our furthest trips this year will be to Lafayette, Nova and Delaware.

In the end, you have to win the games that are in front of you but if this team is able to survive September and October, we'll get @Elon, Towson, and @Richmond (in another potentially must win game) to end the season.

The Cats
February 17th, 2015, 03:41 PM
elon will be dead last, bank on it. worse than this year.

Yeah, but just think of all that exposure you're getting in the north east. The SoCon gang is glad for you. xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 17th, 2015, 03:43 PM
The league will come down to Villanova and JMU imo.

Gangtackle11
February 17th, 2015, 04:50 PM
I think you have to beat the champ to be the champ. So although I think it's Villanova & JMU at the front of the race there is another horse in UNH that must be considered and will be there. That Nova @ JMU last Saturday of the season will be for a bye in FCS playoffs.

Amazingly JMU doesn't play UNH either.

Catsfan90
February 18th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Does anyone see towson improving? Or do you think those couple years were a fluke due to Terrance west? Also I see Villanova taking KT this year. They have the most starters returning, and obviously with the Walter Payton winner returning they will be a force. I do see UNH staying in it though. They have always done decent even in rebuilding years. Glad to see that the CAA teams like Albany and stony brook continue to improve as well.

Tribe4SF
February 18th, 2015, 05:57 AM
W&M has a solid O-line with all starters back after enduring a year that saw all five of them out for most of the last four games. Abdul-Saboor returns at RB and will be backed by the promising Jonathan Dunn who missed all of 2014. WR will need new faces to step up after losing Tre McBride and Sean Ballard. Freshman Devonte Dedmon was sensational at times and will lead the group. Watch for rFr. David Carlisle to emerge. At 6'3" 210 he carries high expectations. Cluley showed improvement at QB and hopefully continues to evolve. The D-line is the question mark with three multi-year starters gone. DT should be solid with Tyler Claytor and Isaiah Stephens as starters, but the only DE with significant experience is Peyton Gryder. LB and secondary will be strengths again with probable All-Americans Luke Rhodes and Deandre Houston-Carson the leaders.

Tribe should have enough to contend, but must show ability to score late in close games. Nova and JMU look like the clear favorites to me.

Mattymc727
February 18th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I think its safe to say at this point:

1. Villanova
2. JMU
3. UNH
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. Rhode Island
12. Elon

Mattymc727
February 18th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Again, UNH has a REALLY favorable schedule too. UNH misses out on Nova, JMU, and Towson again. I have no idea whats up with that. Only tough games I see are @ San Jose State, @ W&M, and home against Richmond, and all of those are winnable.

fc97
February 18th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I dont see us necessarily worse than rhode island. but then again, we don't play them again. just the sheer fact that they dont have to face us in the toilet bowl and they have an easier conference schedule means something for them.

fc97
February 18th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Yeah, but just think of all that exposure you're getting in the north east. The SoCon gang is glad for you. xnodx

its been nearly a year, let it go. after all, you have lost 8 of the last 9 to us and went to the playoffs.... when last? something like 1983? more than a decade before most of your students were born?

besides, an app-less, elon-less, gsu-less socon and you still couldn't make the playoffs, how sad is that.

Gangtackle11
February 18th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I think it's way to early to project an order of finish in the CAA. Anything can happen like JMU suspending 3 players indefinitely this week (a stud CB among them).

I don't think you ever count out the defending champ in preseason and besides UNH has what appears to be the best CAA schedule of the preconceived contenders:

The best that I think you can predict is who is contenders, in the middle, and wait til next year for the CAA title:

Hot:
Villanova
UNH
JMU

In the Middle:
W&M
Richmond
Stony Brook
Maine
Delaware
Towson
Albany

Wait til next year:
Rhode Island
Elon

I'm sure there will be surprises up & down. Should be another exciting CAA season.

Nova09
February 18th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Does anyone see towson improving? Or do you think those couple years were a fluke due to Terrance west?

Strangely, a little bit of both. That RB (now) is the real, Towson could put a scare in just about anyone but will have no consistency. And that's kind of what I predict for the foreseeable future of the Ambrose era. A team that is improved to the point where they will have 3-4 sure wins a year, win a tossup, and pull at least one upset. But could also suffer a really bad loss each year. So all things considered I'd pencil them in for 4-6 wins each year for the next 4 years, but don't expect it to make any sense how they get to those numbers.

Of course, the wild card that could change all this (though you could say this about just about every team) is if Ambrose brings in/develops a stud QB and just unleashes a relentless attack. I don't expect that to happen, mainly bc why would a top QB consider Towson at this point, but Ambrose seems to have the type of personality where he could just say screw it to defense and go all in on the O.

Gangtackle11
February 18th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Towson did bring in former 4* UMiami QB transfer Kevin Olsen. He had his problems, but if he can return to his promise of HS days then Towson may have the guy.

JMU2004
February 18th, 2015, 09:00 AM
JMU has lost both Co-OC's, it's DC, and we just had 3 players suspended for a fight.

We'll see....major turnover in the staff.

Gordon Shumway
February 18th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Again, UNH has a REALLY favorable schedule too. UNH misses out on Nova, JMU, and Towson again. I have no idea whats up with that. Only tough games I see are @ San Jose State, @ W&M, and home against Richmond, and all of those are winnable.

I prefer to look at it as they miss us. :D

If the CAA could figure out who to send to a North Division of the CAA out of Delaware, Villanova, or Towson, the schedules could get back to predictable every year. Since all the turmoil started with teams dropping football it has been somewhat of a mystery. Since 2008 we have played W&M every year (7), Villanova (5). JMU (3), and Delaware (2). Go figure.

bluehenbillk
February 19th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I think Nova & UNH are still the teams to beat. Nova lost a lot on their OL & their starting RB so there will be even more pressure on Robertson to perform & stay healthy. As said before UNH loses a bit. JMU was an enigma last year starting slow, finishing great & laying an egg vs Liberty. Lee is potentially a stud at QB.

After that, W&M & Towson (provided their new QB pans out) would be my selections. Towson & URI could be the most improved from last year.

Then there is everyone else.....

jmufan999
February 19th, 2015, 09:50 AM
we definitely lost some important pieces. on the other hand, we have a Walter Payton Award-level QB that can cover up a lot of warts. he should be even better this year since he was coming to a new school in a TOTALLY different system from the triple option at Georgia Tech, and a coaching staff that was also new. that should only get better. we also didn't have the type of WR's (BIG) that Withers wants, and we recruited at least two huge ones. at least one will get significant playing time, maybe both. very deep at RB, running game should be very good again.

all that said, i would not pick JMU to win the conference at this point. very safe bets are Nova and UNH. i can see JMU possibly making the playoffs but i definitely wouldn't guarantee it. star CB Moreland is suspended "indefinitely" and that's crucial. if he misses significant time, it will be an enormous loss.

wmmii
February 20th, 2015, 10:08 AM
One of the Tribe's biggest issues is the schedule (some of it self-imposed issue).

We start off going to Lafayette and then immediately have a bye before going to UVA which is interesting because I don't believe that we have ever played our FBS team other than Week 1. Luckily they have Notre Dame before us and Boise right after us so hopefully we get overlooked.

The bye that early means our final 10 games will be played without any breaks.

Our final 4 weekends in October will be @Nova, UNH, Hampton, @JMU. Potentially the top 3 CAA teams (all who will be fighting for playoffs) will be in that group right there. Would have been nice to have put Hampton (or another game) before UVA and then put the bye before JMU.

With UVA in Week 3 and Nova, UNH, and JMU being in October, if the team isn't strong, we could be almost out of it before November hits as this is an 11 game season. We'll need to beat UNH at home and potentially steal one @ Nova or JMU to stay in it going into November.

Unfortunately, we miss out on URI and Maine. The positive to this is that our furthest trips this year will be to Lafayette, Nova and Delaware.

In the end, you have to win the games that are in front of you but if this team is able to survive September and October, we'll get @Elon, Towson, and @Richmond (in another potentially must win game) to end the season.

I agree with this excellent summary but the JMU game we get to play at home. With Delaware ant Nova away followed by UNH and JMU home the Tribe will need to play great to be in the mix at the end of October.

ccd494
February 21st, 2015, 12:40 PM
I think Maine is going to be pretty good. The defense is going to be a monster. Just need to figure out how to score. Going to be a lot of 17-14 games.

Tiger93
February 24th, 2015, 09:35 AM
My prediction on Towson is that the Tigers will be back to 6-7 win team next year that is competitive in every game, and will be competing for a conference title again in 2016. I know people say that Towson will never find another Terrance West, and that is true. However, part of the reason he was so good was the offensive line which was about as consistent and steady as could be in his final two years. We also had above average QB play from 2011-13 with Enders and then Athens (who was better than I thought in 2013). Last year, our offensive line play and QB position were among the worst in the league, which made for a huge dropoff.

Olsen has a chance to be a pretty solid option at QB, we have young lineman who have gained experience and seem to have a high upside, and running back will most likely be an above average position for us going forward (not to the point of West, but still pretty good). Just like the 2011-13 teams, we will have a lot of talent on defense, however despite the talent I am guessing they will continue to be inconsistent. Hope everyone had fun kicking us around last year, because it is not going to last.

Gangtackle11
March 8th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Villanova hosted 47 2016 recruits at St.John's -Nova hoops game yesterday. Great venue at Wells Fargo Center to impress potential 2016 recruits!

Dane96
March 8th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Great if your recruiting for Arena Football.

;)

caribbeanhen
March 8th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Delaware will have an interesting QB battle for the first time in a long long time.....

Jaime Jarmon 21 year old Freshman who played minor league baseball in the Rangers system is a Sussex County Boy and is looked at by many to put some life back into the Hens, he was a big time High school QB at Indian River leading the team to the state Championsip

Joe Walker - Red shirt Frosh from Philadelphia - they love his athletic ability but he is raw

Rankin - A transfer from Rutgers who is still a mystery

Gangtackle11
March 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
Andy Talley at a recent banquet said 2-3 years would be the time table for him to retire. He wants to see the new football facility to completion. He's hopeful that existing staff (Ferrante) would transition to HC.

Team also voted John Robertson, Don Cherry, & Reggie Paris 2015 tri-captains.

wmmii
March 29th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Tribe having spring practice and looking good. Getting to see some of our injured guys get reps.

ngineer
March 29th, 2015, 07:20 PM
JMU has lost both Co-OC's, it's DC, and we just had 3 players suspended for a fight.

We'll see....major turnover in the staff.

But for how long? No big deal if they're back in August.

superman7515
March 31st, 2015, 02:18 PM
Quarterback Kevin Olsen's demons with the drink resurfaced. While I'm certainly not a Towson fan, I certainly wish no harm whatsoever to any of them on a personal level, and I wish him the best with getting the help he needs.

http://thetowerlight.com/transfer-qb-olsen-leaves-towson/

On the football note, that leaves Towson without a clear direction at QB.

jmufan999
April 1st, 2015, 06:23 PM
But for how long? No big deal if they're back in August.

from what i understand, it's the first offense for Miller and Stallings. believe it's a misdemeanor for both. total guess, but i doubt they miss more than one game.

KJ Ford may have gotten in trouble since his arrest, and his punishment may be more severe. again, these are rumors/guesses. he wasn't going to be a starter this year but Stallings and Moreland definitely are starters. Moreland's a rising star and potential future NFL player in my opinion.

Gordon Shumway
April 3rd, 2015, 09:34 PM
Quarterback Kevin Olsen's demons with the drink resurfaced. While I'm certainly not a Towson fan, I certainly wish no harm whatsoever to any of them on a personal level, and I wish him the best with getting the help he needs.

http://thetowerlight.com/transfer-qb-olsen-leaves-towson/

On the football note, that leaves Towson without a clear direction at QB.

Yeah, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his exist QB's. 20659

Ambrose said he’s confident in his quarterbacks, but he isn’t ruling out other potential Division 1-A quarterbacks looking to transfer.
“I’m sure there will be a {Division 1-A] quarterback out there who’s not happy with his perceived playing time in the spring,” Ambrose said. “I’m sure we’ll get a phone call on more than one guy and we’ll evaluate each one of those as they come. … It behooves anyone at this level to keep their eyes and ears open at all times for any possible difference makers. We’ll be looking at that position come the end of the spring.”

I can't believe a HC would make a statement like that in the press.

MR. CHICKEN
April 3rd, 2015, 09:46 PM
20660SHUM...LEAST KEELER KEPT DUH FACTOID...HE WAS LOOKIN'...TO HIMSELF....TIL UH X-FER QB WAS...IN DUH BANK...xrotatehx...BRAWK!

Catsfan90
April 5th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his exist QB's. 20659

I can't believe a HC would make a statement like that in the press.
It makes it seem like he has 0 confidence in quarterbacks he already has. What's there incentive to even try during spring practice if hes always looking to replace them? Same could be said for any position. "Go ahead and tey real hard this spring guys, but realize that at any moment you can be replaced by someone else just because they played FBS.

ihop
April 5th, 2015, 05:01 PM
It makes it seem like he has 0 confidence in quarterbacks he already has. What's there incentive to even try during spring practice if hes always looking to replace them? Same could be said for any position. "Go ahead and tey real hard this spring guys, but realize that at any moment you can be replaced by someone else just because they played FBS.

looking at qb play from last year, i think its pretty safe to assume that RA has 0 confidence in the qb's that saw time last year

Catsfan90
April 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM
looking at qb play from last year, i think its pretty safe to assume that RA has 0 confidence in the qb's that saw time last year
True, but still. Its an innaproriate way to treat a team. He should be coaching his players, and guiding them to improve and meet the standard that he's looking for. Not killing their confidence by basically saying " no matter how hard you work, I'm still bringing in a new guy anyway". What incentive is there for any of them to Improve?

Seawolf97
April 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Stony Brook is going to be a young team returning only 12 Seniors. So it will be interesting with a youth movement .

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Stony Brook is going to be a young team returning only 12 Seniors. So it will be interesting with a youth movement .

Looking forward to the Seawolves' first visit to Zable Stadium. Think you'll make that one?

MR. CHICKEN
April 9th, 2015, 08:03 AM
20664.....CHIEF......'NOTHERAH SCALP.....ER....UH.....UM......PELT.....WILL DANGLE...IN DUH SOFT SOUFFERN BREEZE......UH ZABLE........WHEN DIS ONE....COMES TA PASS......xnodx....BRAWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2015, 01:58 PM
20664.....CHIEF......'NOTHERAH SCALP.....ER....UH.....UM......PELT.....WILL DANGLE...IN DUH SOFT SOUFFERN BREEZE......UH ZABLE........WHEN DIS ONE....COMES TA PASS......xnodx....BRAWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

Thanks for the vote of confidence, King of the Coop!

caribbeanhen
April 25th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Delaware moves Jarmon to safety..... kind of a downer for most Hen fans as expectations were high for JJ at QB

danefan
April 25th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Looks like DJ Crook (spring Penn State transfer) will come out of spring ball under center for Albany. A solid FR QB from Myrtle Beach (Will Brunson) emerged as a solid #2. Came in early from high school in the spring. Looking forward to his future.

bluehenbillk
April 27th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Delaware moves Jarmon to safety..... kind of a downer for most Hen fans as expectations were high for JJ at QB

2015 is not a season of grand expectations for Delaware, period.

Mattymc727
April 27th, 2015, 11:59 AM
A lot of new faces for UNH emerging at spring camp right now. Spring game is this Saturday. There has been a lot to replace and the biggest question marks going in are offensive and defensive lines, and the offensive skill positions.

Also of note, ground breaking for the new Stadium starts May 29th and work will continue right on through the 2015 season until it opens for the first home game of 2016.

Future is still bright in Durham, no signs of demise.

jmufan999
April 28th, 2015, 07:36 AM
spring game was a good time at JMU. biggest concern is the O-line. think we lost a few guys there. looked to me like the D-line pushed them around the whole day. but what can you really tell from a spring game? hard to know with subs, injuries, just being safe with certain guys...

Vad made some plays and made a few mistakes. sat most of the day. WR's seem to be very solid again. defense was better than I expected. RB depth is off the charts.

Gangtackle11
April 28th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Villanova has concerns replacing All CAA OLineman Vince Kowalski & Brad Hall along with finding a running game sans John Robertson's scrambles. A good group of receivers return, but will need a leader to emerge with the graduation of super smurf Poppy Livers.

Defense could be outstanding with a lot of vets returning including Buchanan Award runner up Don Cherry. FGs/XPs remain a mystery at this point.

Cats are a preseason top 10 team.

jmufan999
May 22nd, 2015, 08:45 AM
anything new going on? anyone??? I'm really bored at work today.

paward
May 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM
I would love to say do not over look the Spiders. We are all in the question mark stage for now. Ten years ago we began an amazing run. Here is hoping history repeat itself.

Gangtackle11
May 25th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Villanova football fans enter the 2015 season full of optimism. Hopefully, the 'Cats can find a reliable run game to go along with the talented QB John Robertson.

Defense appears to be solid led by Buchanan award runner up LB Don Cherry.

Need to get the students & alumni to attend the games.

UConn on Thursday, September 3rd. Can't wait!

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Villanova football fans enter the 2015 season full of optimism. Hopefully, the 'Cats can find a reliable run game to go along with the talented QB John Robertson.

Defense appears to be solid led by Buchanan award runner up LB Don Cherry.

Need to get the students & alumni to attend the games.

UConn on Thursday, September 3rd. Can't wait!

Will be taking over your tailgate lot again on Oct. 10, and hope we get it on the field too. Tough losses to you guys the past two years. Robertson has been the difference.

wmmii
May 25th, 2015, 08:58 PM

WE played at UNC a few years ago in late October or November and we were leading late in the game! I think the CAA sets the conference schedule but could be wrong about that.

centennial
May 25th, 2015, 09:40 PM
I don't keep up with the CAA much.. What is reason that the CAA isn't as good as it used to be? Looking at computer rankings it seems like there is a decline from 2010 onwards.

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2015, 06:06 AM
I don't keep up with the CAA much.. What is reason that the CAA isn't as good as it used to be? Looking at computer rankings it seems like there is a decline from 2010 onwards.

Hard to say for sure, but the rise of some other leagues has certainly contributed. The MVFC in particular is simply producing more quality teams year-to-year than was the case in the past. The Southland is also just a better league recently, as is the Big South. Delaware and JMU have not been producing the annual quality they once did which has also contributed. JMU looks to be rectifying that. Delaware was the league flagship for a long time, but there's nothing coming out of Newark that tells me they will return to that level anytime soon. W&M has suffered through a painful five years of injury-plagued QBs which, hopefully, is now ending. The QB position alone has kept the Tribe from being a top 15 team the past two years.

MR. CHICKEN
May 26th, 2015, 07:03 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20747&stc=1.......YES CHIEF....NUFFIN' OUTTAH NEWARK.........SINCE KC....PACKED UP...DUH MAYFLOWERAH....TA TEJAS...........HALFAH DELAWARE....LOVED...HALFAH DELAWARE LOATHED..(UD ADMIN).....OKAY HE HAD DUH PERSONALITY...OF UH AMWAY DISTRIBUTOR....BUT THREE NC APPEARENCES...UNDER 10 YEARS.....AN' NOW HE'S GOT SAMMY ATOP FCS AGIN'.....AN' DUH BIZON'S...ARE LOOKIN' OVERAH DEY'RE SHOULDER.....HAD KEELER STAYED UH PECKERHEAD.....GUARANTEED...WE WOODAH WON DUH LATE SEASON GAMES....LAST FEW YEARS....DAT WOODAH PUT US IN DUH DANCE....AN' NOBODY KNOWS HOW TA WIN IN DUH DANCE...LIKE KC........NOW WE'RE REBUILDIN' EVERAH YEAR......NOBODAH EXPECTS ALOT AGIN' DIS SEASON....POINTIN' TA NEXT...AS OURAH PEEPS GROW UP TA BE HENS.....xcoolx:(xbawlingxxembarrassedxxbawlingx:( xcoolx.....BUK...BUK...BUK...BRAWK!

Tribe4SF
May 26th, 2015, 07:22 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20747&stc=1.....OKAY HE HAD DUH PERSONALITY...OF UH AMWAY DISTRIBUTOR....!

Laughing out loud at that one!xlolxxnodx

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20747&stc=1.....OKAY HE HAD DUH PERSONALITY...OF UH AMWAY DISTRIBUTOR....!

Laughing out loud at that one!xlolxxnodx

jmufan999
May 26th, 2015, 07:35 AM

I think losing UMass really hurt. people forget how good they were on an annual basis. always in the mix for the CAA championship, won a national title. that was part, then losing ODU (albeit in quick fashion) hurt. while they were CAA, they won a ridiculous number of games. Towson had one or two good years after being a doormat, then just fell off the map. Richmond and W&M are always good teams. Delaware's been down a bit.

so basically, when 2 of your top teams go FBS, it will hurt. I think UMass hurt the most.

edit: I really should have broken out the thesaurus for the word "hurt", but whatever. haven't finished my coffee yet.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 26th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Losing UMass was big because it gave much of the league a fairly consistently good football team to absolutely despise. I always got the impression when UMass came to Delaware, JMU, Maine, UNH that the hate in the stands was strong. No offense to the newer teams like Stony Brook, Albany and Elon but the hate just ain't there. Maybe it will form over time, but I'm not sure. Best chance of that happening is with SBU.

jmufan999
May 26th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I always got the impression when UMass came to Delaware, JMU, Maine, UNH that the hate in the stands was strong.

I really don't remember the hate being that strong, at least at JMU, but it's been a few years now. I remember really struggling with them for a while. they were so well coached. and i'll never forget the game Victor Cruz had in Harrisonburg. something like 200+ receiving yards.

now, ODU we hated immediately and Delaware/JMU games have always been heated. and of course W&M/Richmond games are awesome, but a lot of stuck up JMU fans refuse to enjoy those games (story for another day).

Lehigh Football Nation
May 26th, 2015, 01:21 PM
The hate might have been stronger up north. Delaware/UMass for certain was a thing.

ODU immediately had hate from all the Virginia schools, it seemed like.

Gordon Shumway
May 26th, 2015, 04:53 PM
The hate might have been stronger up north. Delaware/UMass for certain was a thing.

The hate at UNH was natural, and UMass was probably our biggest rivalry game for many years. From the mid-50's through the early 90's, UMass was the last game of the regular season I believe all but 2 years. The schedule started getting scrambled in the 90's with the Yankee/A10/CAA continued expansion. Despite the Brice-Cowell musket, the Maine game as the big end of season rivalry game is a relatively new phenomenon.

centennial
May 26th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Hard to say for sure, but the rise of some other leagues has certainly contributed. The MVFC in particular is simply producing more quality teams year-to-year than was the case in the past. The Southland is also just a better league recently, as is the Big South. Delaware and JMU have not been producing the annual quality they once did which has also contributed. JMU looks to be rectifying that. Delaware was the league flagship for a long time, but there's nothing coming out of Newark that tells me they will return to that level anytime soon. W&M has suffered through a painful five years of injury-plagued QBs which, hopefully, is now ending. The QB position alone has kept the Tribe from being a top 15 team the past two years.

I think losing UMass really hurt. people forget how good they were on an annual basis. always in the mix for the CAA championship, won a national title. that was part, then losing ODU (albeit in quick fashion) hurt. while they were CAA, they won a ridiculous number of games. Towson had one or two good years after being a doormat, then just fell off the map. Richmond and W&M are always good teams. Delaware's been down a bit.

so basically, when 2 of your top teams go FBS, it will hurt. I think UMass hurt the most.

edit: I really should have broken out the thesaurus for the word "hurt", but whatever. haven't finished my coffee yet.
So seems like traditionally strong teams Delaware, JMU are down + teams leaving
Are the Patriot league and Big South making it harder to recruit? What about recruiting against MAC?

Tribe4SF
May 27th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Are the Patriot league and Big South making it harder to recruit? What about recruiting against MAC?

Most CAA teams take players away from the MAC every year. Four of the Tribes twelve 2015 signees had MAC offers.

GannonFan
May 27th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Huh? Hatred between UMass and UD? I never got that impression. Heck, getting UMass to come to Delaware was always great because they brought the band to Newark all the time because of the friendship between the schools. Heck, I think the UMass band even came one year to play after a game that didn't even include UMass.

The only real hatred conference games for UD are with nova, and to a much lesser extent JMU. ODU would've been included in that list but they left. Out of conference, obviously Lehigh was/is a fun game, but the real hated rival used to be Temple before they stopped scheduling us. That was the big game on UD's schedule, even much more so than nova ever was/is.

jmufan999
May 27th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Most CAA teams take players away from the MAC every year. Four of the Tribes twelve 2015 signees had MAC offers.

yep... MAC, low level FBS in general, CAA.... those are the main competitors. I also forgot to mention (although I guess it's obvious) that not only did ODU leave, but they became FBS. which means a 3rd in-state FBS team, and that can affect recruiting at times.

MR. CHICKEN
May 27th, 2015, 10:29 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20755&stc=1.......HAWK......DELAWARE IS UH WHOPPIN' 24-7...AGIN' DUH SIXTY SECOND LADS....HATE 'EM...xconfusedx....GOTTAH LUV 'EM...xlovex....FO' PADDIN' OURAH STATS......AN' DUH MINI CANNONS...DUH BAND USED TA BRING TA TUBBYLAND....ALWAYS PROVIDED DUH CRESCENDO....TA DEY'RE....SYMPHONIC PROWESS.....NOW.......VILLANOVA.....DAT'S 'NOTHERAH STORY...xpissedx........BRAWK!

ps....IT WAS ALWAYS UH BIG GAME....AN' DUH BAND WAS @LEAST....HALF RESPONSIBLE....AWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 27th, 2015, 10:35 AM
GOTTAH LUV 'EM...xlovex....FO' PADDIN' OURAH STATS

xlolx xlolx xlolx I liked that one.

centennial
May 27th, 2015, 11:05 AM
yep... MAC, low level FBS in general, CAA.... those are the main competitors. I also forgot to mention (although I guess it's obvious) that not only did ODU leave, but they became FBS. which means a 3rd in-state FBS team, and that can affect recruiting at times.
Same for the top 2/3rd of the MVFC. I think the big difference is that there aren't a lot of teams recruiting the upper midwest. For NDSU, after Uof Minnesota takes the top 2-4 recruits we get the the spoils, same with Nebraska. We also usually get the top prospects out of the the Dakotas. We win a fair amount of battles against MAC, MWC and occasionally steal some from low P5 teams.

KPSUL
May 27th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Same for the top 2/3rd of the MVFC. I think the big difference is that there aren't a lot of teams recruiting the upper midwest. For NDSU, after Uof Minnesota takes the top 2-4 recruits we get the the spoils, same with Nebraska. We also usually get the top prospects out of the the Dakotas. We win a fair amount of battles against MAC, MWC and occasionally steal some from low P5 teams.

Clearly NDSU's unprecedented success has given them the opportunity to compete for HS recruits that may be beyond the level of most FCS talent. However, I believe there has been some trickle down to next level of FCS program success. UNH's two consecutive Semi-Final appearances and 11 year playoff run seems to have yielded some 2015 Freshmen that I don't think we would have gotten several years ago. The most notable example is a 3 star WR from Harrisburg, PA who was selected to the PA Big 33 Classic Team (Amechie Walker). He decommited from a lower echelon FBS school (Temple) to sign with UNH.

centennial
May 27th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Clearly NDSU's unprecedented success has given them the opportunity to compete for HS recruits that may be beyond the level of most FCS talent. However, I believe there has been some trickle down to next level of FCS program success. UNH's two consecutive Semi-Final appearances and 11 year playoff run seems to have yielded some 2015 Freshmen that I don't think we would have gotten several years ago. The most notable example is a 3 star WR from Harrisburg, PA who was selected to the PA Big 33 Classic Team (Amechie Walker). He decommited from a lower echelon FBS school (Temple) to sign with UNH.
We are getting an unprecedented amount of talent, some of this has caused attrition(r-Frs stronger than soph, juniors who are now transferring to D2). Add to that we have one of the best player development program in the FCS. The fact is that there are more kids playing football but the school playing at the highest level hasn't gone up much which helps schools like NDSU, UNH. Once the cost of living kicks in and IF NDSU offers it we bypass some of lower FBS for the talent we are able to recruit.
Some examples this year-
Ben Effelson- Purdue, Air Force, New Mexico, Wyoming offers http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ben-Ellefson-63057/RecruitInterests
Trenton Mooney- Walk on to Oregon, offers from Wyoming, Air Force, Army http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Trenton-Mooney-81238/RecruitInterests
Aaron Mercadel- Air Force, Wyoming http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Aaron-Mercadel-61149/RecruitInterests
Some more here- http://ndsu.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

centennial
May 27th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Looked at the CAA numbers-
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=CAA
I know stars don't mean much but interesting to see Towson has four 3 star recruits. All of them have G5/P5 offers.

KPSUL
May 27th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Looked at the CAA numbers-
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=CAA
I know stars don't mean much but interesting to see Towson has four 3 star recruits. All of them have G5/P5 offers.

I suspect if you looked at the the same comparative data for the previous 5 years, you'd see about the same recruiting evaluation in the CAA. UNH just knows how to look off the big radars and find kids who will fit in their program and have the work ethic to thrive in a a tough player development program.

jmufan999
May 28th, 2015, 07:59 AM
I don't feel like looking it up, but our recruiting has really stepped up... we're getting better players earlier. check out this 2016 TE recruit. 6'5", 230. he's currently committed to JMU. we're just hoping to hold onto him. he's a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Fg5W3JDjc#t=49