PDA

View Full Version : Big Weekend for Gateway

Saluki Fan in FL
November 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
(6)Illinois St. faces a tough team in (21)Northern Iowa. I know there's been talk on this forum about considering NIU for a playoff. If it happens, good for them. If not, at least they'll have bragging rights being able to say they beat two of the top 6 teams in the nation. Notice I didn't say three of the top 10! Go Dawgs:thumbsup:

With a win against ISU, in my oppinion I still don't think they deserve a playoff seat with a 7-4 season. Although, if they do, that speaks volumes for the Gateway Conference having four of us there. Two of which, in the top 10. Three, by AGS standards.

With a couple of upsets this weekend SIU will surely be in the top ten. I am betting we will see at least one upset. There a few games to watch... N. Dakota St. vs. S. Dakota St., ISU vs. UNI, Montana vs. Montana St., and don't forget James Madison vs. Townson. Townson has to win to get in. They only have three losses... if they beat James Madison... they're in! If ISU loses, they will deffinately fall, but not below SIU since they beat us durring the season.

If NIU does make the cut, they'd most likely move to the bottom of the barrel. So those 13-16 seeded teams... should expect to advance. But remember... one would have to get bumped. Who?

As for SIU, if we lose to Southern Utah this weekend, stick a fork in us and forget everything I just said. If they do, can you please point out a nice rock for me to stick my head under?:bang:

Go Salukis!!

crunifan
November 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Call us NIU again and I will kill you!

I-AA Fan
November 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM
lol for crunifan... I did not know that SIU was facing Northern Illinois, I thought it was Northern Iowa.

crunifan
November 17th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah, us UNI fans take being called NIU as a huge insult.

I think for the majority of us, if we had our way we would be called UNI all the time. I don't particularly like being called Northern Iowa. I suppose because growing up I didn't realize that UNI actually stood for something, I just thought that was the schools name.

True story, my grandma went to Florida with her 80 year old boyfriend (Dear Lord...) and in the local paper it talked about "Northern Iowa" basketball and she actually called to ask me where this school called Northern Iowa was and why the state has two teams called the Panthers. "Grandma, UNI stands for Northern Iowa"..."Are you serious?" xlolx

Plus, you would never hear somehere say I go to Northern Iowa, and I'm not even joking. The process is, if you are from Iowa it is automatically just called UNI. If you are from somewhere else, you say "I am from the University of Northern Iowa" and then you may call it UNI. xlolx

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM
lol for crunifan... I did not know that SIU was facing Northern Illinois, I thought it was Northern Iowa.
SIU is facing Southern Utah. UNI is playing Illinois State. I have no clue who Northern Illinois is playing this week and could care less until they pop up on our schedule next year.

Edit: OK. Northern Illinois is playing Eastern Michigan before someone tells me.
:D

FlyYtown
November 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Big Weekend in the Gateway my ass. The better teams will win and they will rep the Gateway in the playoffs---enough said.

The big week was I'd say the last 5 weeks!

Saluki_man
November 18th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Your'e not kidding about the last five weeks. Its been a complete blood bath.

Oh, on the UNI front, something tells me that they are going to be really good next year.

I hate the dome of doom.

crunifan
November 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Your'e not kidding about the last five weeks. Its been a complete blood bath.

Oh, on the UNI front, something tells me that they are going to be really good next year.

I hate the dome of doom.

18 of 22 starters back. It's a good start.

Plus, Farley has a record of going to the playoffs every other year. As of now it looks like the streak shall continue.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM
stupid even/odd streak. :bang:

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
stupid even/odd streak. :bang:
Talking about winning the conference or beating SIU?

Saluki Fan in FL
November 18th, 2006, 06:26 PM
NIU was a typo... so kill me!

If you read further, I got it correct the second time.

Back to what the message was about...

With a win against ISU, should UNI get in? Personally I don't think a 4 loss team should have that privilage over any 3 loss team, regardless of the toughness of their year or the top teams they beat. You have to concider who their losses where against.

I-A is going through that BS right now. Look at Rutgers. They can't get any respect. Look at Utah a couple of years ago, when they had an undefeated year.

Mountain Panther
November 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM
:eek: 35-20 UNI over IlSt with 14:00 to go...WOW. :eek: