PDA

View Full Version : Gameday headed back to Fargo for the third year?

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 5th, 2015, 05:41 PM
The Fargo Forum has this article about ESPN Gameday coming back to Fargo again next year, for the third straight year.

"This week, Fitting replied to a tweet by Deanna Kay that was re-tweeted by actor Josh Duhamel, who himself is probably due and qualified to be a guest picker. It's February, but Fitting replied "lets do it again!""

NDSU will host three of its first four games this fall: Weber State on Sept. 12, North Dakota on Sept. 19 and Northern Iowa on Oct. 10.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/bison/3672441-storify-college-gameday-becomes-our-winter-tease

IBleedYellow
February 5th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Oh offseason. How we loathe thee.

Keep these posts on Bisonville, man. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
February 6th, 2015, 07:16 AM
They should go back to Fargo. Not a better scene on any Gameday! Highlights college football as it should be.

My favorite sign last year..."A four team playoff? How cute!"

Grizalltheway
February 6th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Why not Missoula? I know it's before the rest of CFB gets going, but it would be a good opportunity to do a season preview type deal for FBS.

Daytripper
February 6th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Oh offseason. How we loathe thee.

Keep these posts on Bisonville, man. xthumbsupx

http://media.giphy.com/media/W9WSk4tEU1aJW/giphy.gif

GetEmGriz
February 6th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Why not Missoula? I know it's before the rest of CFB gets going, but it would be a good opportunity to do a season preview type deal for FBS.

If there's any other FCS location that could pull it off, it would be Missoula. I'd dare even say it'd be just as big of an event as it is in Fargo, maybe bigger (just because we have a bigger stadium. No knock on Bison fans). Plus, the opening-season matchup would be by far greater than any other matchup that NDSU would face at home for ESPN Gameday.

Catsfan90
February 6th, 2015, 03:46 PM
If there's any other FCS location that could pull it off, it would be Missoula. I'd dare even say it'd be just as big of an event as it is in Fargo, maybe bigger (just because we have a bigger stadium. No knock on Bison fans). Plus, the opening-season matchup would be by far greater than any other matchup that NDSU would face at home for ESPN Gameday.
I didn't realise how beautiful wash-griz stadium was until I watched the Montana San Diego matchup. It would be a perfect location for it!

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2015, 04:22 PM
I didn't realise how beautiful wash-griz stadium was until I watched the Montana San Diego matchup. It would be a perfect location for it!

It's beautiful! I can't wait to go there this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCabo1XClzE

Catsfan90
February 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM
I was actually pricing taking a trip out there. Montana is my top next place to visit!

frozennorth
February 6th, 2015, 05:43 PM
We'll see how pelini does. If ysu is 9-0 or 8-1, the ndsu game could have some good storylines.

thebootfitter
February 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I love Wa-Griz Stadium. Planning to be at the game in August. However, a bigger stadium really has no impact on College Gameday. Still, I agree that if Gameday comes to another FCS school than NDSU, Montana would be a great choice. I'm sure the fans would be out in droves, and I'm sure they would find a cool place for the set to show off the beautiful surroundings.

We'll see how pelini does. If ysu is 9-0 or 8-1, the ndsu game could have some good storylines.
Umm... yeah... we'll see how Pelini does first. But usually that late in the season, there are enough other interesting FBS match ups that the stars have to align just right for an FCS visit.

AmsterBison
February 6th, 2015, 06:59 PM

There is absolutely no doubt that Montana would be a great location. Unfortunately, Game Day won't be in play when the Bison meet the Griz for The _____ in Missoula, er I got nothing to match the Thrilla in Manilla... The Showdown in Zootown?

dewey
February 7th, 2015, 05:56 AM

ESPN hasn't been concerned about the matchup the last two years with NDSU hosting Delaware State and Incarnate Word. It is all about how the FBS schedule lines up for the week.

Dewey

Catsfan90
February 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM
ESPN hasn't been concerned about the matchup the last two years with NDSU hosting Delaware State and Incarnate Word. It is all about how the FBS schedule lines up for the week.

Dewey
ESPN generally isn't concerned about any FCS matchup when they can talk about the SEC -__-

frozennorth
February 7th, 2015, 05:02 PM

Deweyif you recall, they almost went to this game 2 years ago the same weekend, because of the match up and storylines.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 8th, 2015, 04:02 PM
NDSU/UND game is my bet.

NDSUSR
February 8th, 2015, 06:14 PM
NDSU/UND game is my bet.
I agree, its as ****ty as it gets though. UN_ fans will probably embarass ND in ways never dreamed of before.

Hammersmith
February 8th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I agree, its as ****ty as it gets though. UN_ fans will probably embarass ND in ways never dreamed of before.

1. I will be immensely surprised if CGD comes back to Fargo this year.
2. If they do come back, it will be the Weber St game because of the FBS schedule
3. If they come back for the UND game, both fanbases will embarrass themselves to the point CGD will NEVER consider coming back to ND.

Professor Chaos
February 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM
If they come back for the UND game, both fanbases will embarrass themselves to the point CGD will NEVER consider coming back to ND.
The unfortunate but inevitable truth if they decide to come back for that game.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 8th, 2015, 08:03 PM
As a bison fan i'm all for them going back, but I think that it would be great for the FCS if they highlighted some other great programs with excellent facilities and a beautiful campus. Why not go to Missoula?!! I myself hope to make the trip!

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 8th, 2015, 08:06 PM
1. I will be immensely surprised if CGD comes back to Fargo this year.
2. If they do come back, it will be the Weber St game because of the FBS schedule
3. If they come back for the UND game, both fanbases will embarrass themselves to the point CGD will NEVER consider coming back to ND.

^ This. NDSU and UND fans must not be together on TV

DuckDuckGriz
February 8th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I've never understood why GameDay hasn't gone to Missoula. No knock to NDSU, but in the past some of the settings (i.e. Penn / Harvard, etc) were not thrilling. That said, any FCS love is good love.

Bisonoline
February 8th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I've never understood why GameDay hasn't gone to Missoula. No knock to NDSU, but in the past some of the settings (i.e. Penn / Harvard, etc) were not thrilling. That said, any FCS love is good love.

Yeah CGD has had some very uninspiring crowds and atmospheres.

DuckDuckGriz
February 8th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah CGD has had some very uninspiring crowds and atmospheres.

From an FBS perspective, they owe Washington State a visit. That place would go nuts.

For FCS - Montana, McNeese State, UNI, Delaware, Montana State all would be fantastic television.

dewey
February 8th, 2015, 09:18 PM
From an FBS perspective, they owe Washington State a visit. That place would go nuts.

For FCS - Montana, McNeese State, UNI, Delaware, Montana State all would be fantastic television.

The only reason CGD came to NDSU in 2013 was that they were two time defending champions, beat Kansas State, looked like a lock for a third straight title and there were no big time FBS match ups that week. With all due respect to some of those FCS schools listed above but only a few have been consistent winners, national title winners at the very least. Just because a team would have an unbelievable following at a CGD event doesn't mean that ESPN would come.

I would love to see the Iowa and Iowa State fans lose their minds if CGD came to UNI.

my 2 cents.

Dewey

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 12:18 AM
I would love to see the Iowa and Iowa State fans lose their minds if CGD came to UNI.

Dewey

That would cause quite a ruckus. Their fan boards would go nuclear.

Bisonoline
February 9th, 2015, 12:46 AM
South end of kinnick would be a gong show.

NDSU_grad
February 9th, 2015, 08:45 AM
NDSU/UND game is my bet.
Ole Miss is at Alabama that day. I'd be surprised if they pass that up and come to Fargo.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 10:52 AM

Well, well, well, look who's made it back to AGS. Good to see you DDG!

http://blazomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/The_Rock_is_Back_BlazoMania.jpg
FINALLY, THE DUCK HAS COME BACK TO AGS!!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 10:57 AM
The only reason CGD came to NDSU in 2013 was that they were two time defending champions, beat Kansas State, looked like a lock for a third straight title and there were no big time FBS match ups that week. With all due respect to some of those FCS schools listed above but only a few have been consistent winners, national title winners at the very least. Just because a team would have an unbelievable following at a CGD event doesn't mean that ESPN would come.

my 2 cents.

Dewey

I'm not sure the in line to win it all thing plays into it a whole lot for them. It's nice and all but why would it really matter that much to them. It's great college football venues that would have real good turnouts would be thing I'd imagine would matter the most.

Personally, I don't care if they ever show up here. I wouldn't be any part of it as I don't watch it and don't care too much but I know it's a good thing for the school and the community.

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 9th, 2015, 11:00 AM

It wouldnt fly in Missoula, and it would look stupid with maybe a couple thousand people wherever they set up, not to mention we would need the 16 egals fans and numerous cat fans that would show up to get to 2k.

Fargo shuts down the town and everybody gets behind it, banks, newspapers, city government fans etc. Missoula wouldnt align like that unless a person shot an intruder breaking into his home..........then they would go after the person that defended himself.

Missoula would be an EPIC fail and ESPN knows it. Only way ESPN would get to Missoula is if they would do the NDSU game. Their fan base is just bigger and better than ours.

- - - Updated - - -

95% wrong SMFH

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Fargo shuts down the town and everybody gets behind it, banks, newspapers, city government fans etc.

Im not exactly sure what this says about Fargo, but it says something. Either we are really bored or really like football.
Maybe we are just attention whores.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Im not exactly sure what this says about Fargo, but it says something. Either we are really bored or really like football.
Maybe we are just attention whores.

Alpha is a good friend and all but he rarely tries to wade in and have a logical discussion. It is more about lobbing stuff to incite mini board riots and stir things up. To say that Missoula ain't behind what goes on with the team is pure bull**** and to make his claim about the dip**** shooting the guy that went into his garage is just further over the top.

Not saying he doesn't make some very good points taking the alternate approach sometimes but his main focus is getting arguments going so you need to take some of it with a humor factor and so forth.

BisonFan02
February 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Alpha is a good friend and all but he rarely tries to wade in and have a logical discussion. It is more about lobbing stuff to incite mini board riots and stir things up. To say that Missoula ain't behind what goes on with the team is pure bull**** and to make his claim about the dip**** shooting the guy that went into his garage is just further over the top.

Not saying he doesn't make some very good points taking the alternate approach sometimes but his main focus is getting arguments going so you need to take some of it with a humor factor and so forth.

do ya?

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 02:03 PM

Heh, I know. I understand his MO. His posts generally have a sniplet of truth to them (at least in his opinion), so I enjoy them.
Its a message board and it should be fun. If I want a logical discussion I can always get back to work and earn my pay. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Heh, I know. I understand his MO. His posts generally have a sniplet of truth to them (at least in his opinion), so I enjoy them.
Its a message board and it should be fun. If I want a logical discussion I can always get back to work and earn my pay. :)

I didn't see the snipet of truth I saw him wanting to get under someone's skin which is what drove that comment. Don't care one bit that isn't truthful or rational just didn't seem like you understood what it was from your response but maybe I took yours too literally.

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I didn't see the snipet of truth I saw him wanting to get under someone's skin which is what drove that comment. Don't care one bit that isn't truthful or rational just didn't seem like you understood what it was from your response but maybe I took yours too literally.

99% of my posts are tongue in cheek. But I do find a lot of humor in things that Fargoans do.
We had people camping overnight to eat at the new Chipolte... Nuff said?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 9th, 2015, 02:22 PM
99% of my posts are tongue in cheek. But I do find a lot of humor in things that Fargoans do.

I was going to say congratulations for your arrival into 2005!

knucklehead
February 9th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Should come to Lynchburg for the Liberty / JMU rematch in September. Yup. Can't wait for the griz in Lynchburg this fall as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 02:26 PM

Indeed.

DuckDuckGriz
February 9th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Love what you've done with the place!

Well, well, well, look who's made it back to AGS. Good to see you DDG!

http://blazomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/The_Rock_is_Back_BlazoMania.jpg
FINALLY, THE DUCK HAS COME BACK TO AGS!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 9th, 2015, 05:06 PM
If 60% of the people that fill WGS on fall Saturdays didn't drive from out of town to fill it......our stadium would look like most other FCS stadiums.

The Missoulian is behind tearing down the program and do not support it like other towns do.

Most in the city government don't like sports so they could care less.

That's the snippets of truth. I would love to see GameDay come there and prove me right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
February 10th, 2015, 12:13 AM

Thought about it and then realized I like my warm bed and grew up with a Chipotle in my hometown. Fargo does love it's chain restaurants. Though Chipotle is on a different level

bisonnation
February 10th, 2015, 11:06 AM
It's beautiful! I can't wait to go there this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCabo1XClzE

That's bad ass

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Thought about it and then realized I like my warm bed and grew up with a Chipotle in my hometown. Fargo does love it's chain restaurants. Though Chipotle is on a different level

I loved Fargo, really great place but there is a strange mindset to things like the chain restaurants that I just do not understand in any way. Lining up for a chain restaurant? Unf'nbelievable.

Don't let the Wuerst dog & pretzel place go out of business is all I ask if you all want to fill chain pockets up please throw a stipend to them so it's still there when I get back!

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I loved Fargo, really great place but there is a strange mindset to things like the chain restaurants that I just do not understand in any way. Lining up for a chain restaurant? Unf'nbelievable.

Don't let the Wuerst dog & pretzel place go out of business is all I ask if you all want to fill chain pockets up please throw a stipend to them so it's still there when I get back!

People forget how big Fargo is, there's plenty of business for everyone.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 11:30 AM
If 60% of the people that fill WGS on fall Saturdays didn't drive from out of town to fill it......our stadium would look like most other FCS stadiums.

The Missoulian is behind tearing down the program and do not support it like other towns do.

That's the snippets of truth. I would love to see GameDay come there and prove me right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Point by point:

Not exactly true although there is indeed a great deal of out of towners that have season tickets but I'd be surprised if it weren't more like 85% from Missoula. Doesn't matter one way or the other, those fans are there either way and if they were there for a regular game then you can be damn sure they would be there for a CGD type event...they are already here for the game as it is.

On top of the 25k inside the stadium there are probably another 4-8k that are out in the lots around the stadium depending on the game being played. Now would all those people buy tickets and attend if seats were available? No, but a decent portion probably would. Point is some fans are just there for th e"party" thing and I'd think that party thing would have some influence on them with CGD as well.

I do not disagree with the sentiment here at all. I will not spend a penny on their product but they are in the business of selling papers. They will cover and "support" anything that helps them do that. This point is moot.

This premise is 1/2 correct. Some do, some don't, but why does this really matter anyway? This is very much like the paper thing. They will be happy to do things that for very little cost will make the city look good whether they own their own tickets to the game or not. They will not act against it just for the purpose of stifling the event. They might act against it for reasons of traffic in certain areas or whatever but that would just be to find better accommodations and so forth. Again, this point is also moot.

The snipets of truth you laid out may have some 1/2 truth to them but they really aren't related to your original premise very much.

Lehigh'98
February 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Fargo is approximately 25% the 12+ population of Youngstown, OH. It's the 219th largest tv market in the US. It's not tiny, but not huge by any means. Still, I would love to visit.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Absolutely agree. It is a large hub no doubt. But damnit man, start trumpeting the cool local places and not the f'n chains as if we all don't have those things in our towns to go experience!

Not pointed at you there NoDak. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Fargo is approximately 25% the 12+ population of Youngstown, OH. It's the 219th largest tv market in the US. It's not tiny, but not huge by any means. Still, I would love to visit.

It's big enough. Reminds of Spokane back in the 80's and so forth. We're dealing with relative perspective here as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Fargo Moorhead is almost 250,000 people. That's plenty of people to eat at all kinds of places. It's not unlike many places where the chains are on the outside and the local places are downtown.

Lehigh'98
February 10th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Fargo Moorhead is almost 250,000 people. That's plenty of people to eat at all kinds of places. It's not unlike many places where the chains are on the outside and the local places are downtown.

What do Fargoans do in the football off season? It's always a rough patch for me, though a 4 month old can instantly cure the boredom. I'm not a hockey guy and can't really get into hoops either.

DuckDuckGriz
February 10th, 2015, 11:46 AM
To add to ursus' comment, I gotta think that if Missoula is holding down 85% - the Bitterroot would take more than the rest. Pretty much 3/4 of the valley are stretched between section 125 and the North Endzone.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2015, 11:47 AM
What do Fargoans do in the football off season? It's always a rough patch for me, though a 4 month old can instantly cure the boredom. I'm not a hockey guy and can't really get into hoops either.

Pants off Dance off at the OB.... xlolx

http://media.giphy.com/media/4c4jQPdVv381G/giphy.gif

gumby013
February 10th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Absolutely agree. It is a large hub no doubt. But damnit man, start trumpeting the cool local places and not the f'n chains as if we all don't have those things in our towns to go experience!

The paper still does Taco Bell menu item reviews from time to time.

http://www.inforum.com/content/fast-food-review-taco-bells-xxl-chalupa-bigger-it-better

http://www.inforum.com/content/fast-food-review-taco-bells-new-pacific-shrimp-taco-not-very-filling

http://www.inforum.com/content/fast-food-review-taco-bell-bacon-burrito-not-great-still-edible

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Gotta remember too Ursus...Fargo is a destination for a good 100+ mile radius of small town bumpkins. Applebees is pretty "high brow" for a person living in a town of <100 that has never left ND/MN. xlolx

There is a mountain of good joints to hit up in town that are well supported...you guys really only hit the tip of the iceburg. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 12:00 PM
The paper still does Taco Bell menu item reviews from time to time.

http://www.inforum.com/content/fast-food-review-taco-bells-xxl-chalupa-bigger-it-better

http://www.inforum.com/content/fast-food-review-taco-bells-new-pacific-shrimp-taco-not-very-filling

http://www.inforum.com/content/fast-food-review-taco-bell-bacon-burrito-not-great-still-edible

Well, and to think I was gonna have my eyes gouged out later today as I was under the impression I had seen everything. Thank you Fargo, I'm keeping them!

God damn, that has to be a joke. That's just...well it's...how would...I mean why in the hell would....shouldn't the guy that approved something like this be fired or at the very least...man...that is just an embarrassment.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Gotta remember too Ursus...Fargo is a destination for a good 100+ mile radius of small town bumpkins. Applebees is pretty "high brow" for a person living in a town of <100 that has never left ND/MN. xlolx

There is a mountain of good joints to hit up in town that are well supported...you guys really only hit the tip of the iceburg. xthumbsupx

Ok, you nailed exactly what I was going to say but I knew if I said it this would come out wrong but now that you've laid the groundwork I've always gotten the feeling that the Fargo chain thing is related to "We're big boys now cuz we have a "X"" type of attitude and your explanation of it makes absolute perfect sense. My family came from Sidney, MT originally and one time my cousin was bragging about getting a McDonalds way back when we were kids...even then I was sort of shocked that this would be an event but if you are a kid without it then I suppose it is.

But good lord, the peop's that live in Fargo you got zero excuse for acting like a chain restaurant is a happening...no excuse at all man.

Bf'nWW...you gotta be ****ting me. xlolx

gumby013
February 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Ok, you nailed exactly what I was going to say but I knew if I said it this would come out wrong but now that you've laid the groundwork I've always gotten the feeling that the Fargo chain thing is related to "We're big boys now cuz we have a "X"" type of attitude and your explanation of it makes absolute perfect sense. My family came from Sidney, MT originally and one time my cousin was bragging about getting a McDonalds way back when we were kids...even then I was sort of shocked that this would be an event but if you are a kid without it then I suppose it is.

But good lord, the peop's that live in Fargo you got zero excuse for acting like a chain restaurant is a happening...no excuse at all man.

Bf'nWW...you gotta be ****ting me. xlolx

You'll be happy to know Chipotle is finally in Fargo. There are of course daily articles in the paper about it. Last one was yesterday. You should have seen the hysteria around the Sonic opening.

http://www.inforum.com/business/3674828-burrito-buddies-line-early-way-early-chipotle-opening

http://www.inforum.com/news/3674574-chipotle-hosts-invite-only-party-formal-opening

http://www.inforum.com/business/3670772-fargo-chipotle-set-open-monday

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 12:13 PM
You'll be happy to know Chipotle is finally in Fargo. There are of course daily articles in the paper about it. Last one was yesterday. You should have seen the hysteria around the Sonic opening.

http://www.inforum.com/business/3674828-burrito-buddies-line-early-way-early-chipotle-opening

http://www.inforum.com/news/3674574-chipotle-hosts-invite-only-party-formal-opening

http://www.inforum.com/business/3670772-fargo-chipotle-set-open-monday

gumby you are just screwing with me now and you are gonna Rickroll me aren't ya! I saw this one coming brother! Nice try!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Holy ****, that was real.

gumby013
February 10th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Holy ****, that was real.

And Sonic...

http://www.inforum.com/content/inside-business-foundation-poured-fargo-sonic

http://www.inforum.com/content/sonic-scores-big-opening-day

http://www.inforum.com/content/sonic-aficionados-get-line-hours-fargo-restaurants-opening-opening-saturday

http://www.inforum.com/content/inside-business-soon-open-sonic-seeks-workers

http://www.inforum.com/content/boom-sonic-restaurant-coming-fargo

http://www.inforum.com/content/sonic-set-shop-45th-street-0

Bisonator
February 10th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Oh come on I'm sure Fargo isn't the only place like that. New places always get a run on when new but the fad wears off cover time. That happens everywhere.

gumby013
February 10th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Oh come on I'm sure Fargo isn't the only place like that. New places always get a run on when new but the fad wears off cover time. That happens everywhere.

Fargo goes way more nuts over national chains than other places. Didn't stop me from wanting to move back here though.

Just wait until we get a Waffle House.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM
http://www.inforum.com/content/best-2014

http://www.inforum.com/content/best-2014-fooddrink

Mind numbing........

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 12:31 PM

As I said in another thread I just don't read the Missoulian anymore but I honestly don't remember there being anything like that when a chain came to town. We have another paper called the independent which does a lot of this sort of thing but never on a chain restaurant but more cultured locales around town.

If the Missoulian does do this I'd be as ashamed that Missoulians looked like the kind of folks that the paper thought this was a good idea for a story. I always chuckle when an Applebee's or some other ****ty chain comes to Missoula and bites the dust while good local places just keep trucking along...not that Reserve St. is not filled with crappy chain restaurants cuz it is and the lots are full. Just not the sort of thing anyone would line up for I wouldn't think.

Bisonator
February 10th, 2015, 12:34 PM
As I said in another thread I just don't read the Missoulian anymore but I honestly don't remember there being anything like that when a chain came to town. We have another paper called the independent which does a lot of this sort of thing but never on a chain restaurant but more cultured locales around town.

If the Missoulian does do this I'd be as ashamed that Missoulians looked like the kind of folks that the paper thought this was a good idea for a story. I always chuckle when an Applebee's or some other ****ty chain comes to Missoula and bites the dust while good local places just keep trucking along...not that Reserve St. is not filled with crappy chain restaurants cuz it is and the lots are full. Just not the sort of thing anyone would line up for I wouldn't think.

It's the ****ing Fargo Forum! It's not worth using to line the ****ing bird cage! xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 12:35 PM
It's the ****ing Fargo Forum! It's not worth using to line the ****ing bird cage! xlolx

Gotcha. Figured it was the main thing or whatever (like Missoulian here) so I misunderstood then?

Bisonator
February 10th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Gotcha. Figured it was the main thing or whatever (like Missoulian here) so I misunderstood then?

It's the only thing, doesn't mean it isn't crap!

Bisonator
February 10th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Don't forget the Forum also has a whole ****ing section devoted to women! That's right a ****ing "newspaper" with a section just for women called She Says! I use the term "newspaper" very loosely! xlolx

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 10th, 2015, 01:20 PM
+1

kdinva
February 10th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I want to see N. Dakota St. host Furman, so CitDog can attend.......

Milkman
February 10th, 2015, 01:40 PM
There is an odd obsession with chain restaurants here. Hell even the local places feel the need to open up multiple locations. Spicy Pie, JL Beers, Juano's (which I think closed or sold their locations) Sweeto Burrito and even the HiHo. Its almost like they feel they need to trick the populous into believing they are eating at a chain.

Catsfan90
February 10th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Fargo goes way more nuts over national chains than other places. Didn't stop me from wanting to move back here though.

Just wait until we get a Waffle House.
Have you been to Indiana? It is insane in certain places! I got married in Burlington, Indiana. So I stayed in kokomo, I literally don't remember seeing a single family owned business while there. I discovered chains that I had no idea even existed!

AmsterBison
February 10th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Heh, not to be mean, but every time a team backs out of a game with NDSU, I want Game Day to show up. :)

Come to think of it, expand that idea to cover all FCS teams.

The Outback Backout Game of the Year.

gumby013
February 10th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Heh, not to be mean, but every time a team backs out of a game with NDSU, I want Game Day to show up. :)

Come to think of it, expand that idea to cover all FCS teams.

Outback could drop their bowl sponsorship and go with the Outback Backout Game of the Year.

Only if when the Bison win, we all get a free Bloomin' Onion. The Coconut Shrimp suck.

TheKingpin28
February 10th, 2015, 04:02 PM
It's ridiculous the hysteria that is created about chains though. If wurst goes out, which I doubt it would happen, I would probably leave Fargo. That place has the best pretzels, even if their beer is over priced

Evolution Prime
February 10th, 2015, 04:07 PM
And Sonic...

http://www.inforum.com/content/inside-business-foundation-poured-fargo-sonic

http://www.inforum.com/content/sonic-scores-big-opening-day

http://www.inforum.com/content/sonic-aficionados-get-line-hours-fargo-restaurants-opening-opening-saturday

http://www.inforum.com/content/inside-business-soon-open-sonic-seeks-workers

http://www.inforum.com/content/boom-sonic-restaurant-coming-fargo

http://www.inforum.com/content/sonic-set-shop-45th-street-0

And I thought it was a ****storm when Arby's opened in Brookings.

Oh an I hate Sonic. Have one in my town of 3700 and it has the worst food I have tasted and I was in the military.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 04:21 PM
And I thought it was a ****storm when Arby's opened in Brookings.

Oh an I hate Sonic. Have one in my town of 3700 and it has the worst food I have tasted and I was in the military.

My favorite two places in Brookings were George's Pizza and Z'kota. I noticed the latter had reverted back to a Hardees last time I was there.

Grizalltheway
February 10th, 2015, 04:23 PM

I'll be damned if I'll sit here and let you badmouth Outback like that.

Evolution Prime
February 10th, 2015, 04:26 PM
George's has always been a favorite. Pizza King and Nick's Hamburgers are up near the top too. Z'kota wasn't that bad. Place I like to go when working at Daktronics was the Mexican place at the BP's by I-29.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 04:48 PM
It's ridiculous the hysteria that is created about chains though. If wurst goes out, which I doubt it would happen, I would probably leave Fargo. That place has the best pretzels, even if their beer is over priced

Dead on man. That place is great. Loved Bisonturf as well...good burger and all that. Really was sad we didn't get to try out BWW but then again there is one just down the street a bit from my office that already don't go to so...

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I'll be damned if I'll sit here and let you badmouth Outback like that.

I take back what I said about you on CS. You are no family of mine!

Actually I can eat there without too much bitching but I would never, ever let anyone in any party I was part of stand in f'n line in front of a place like that. I'd sooner be a Syrian pilot in an ISIS box than have someone see me standing in f'n line in front of a chain place. The embarrassment would be more than I could stand.

SUPharmacist
February 10th, 2015, 05:49 PM
There is an odd obsession with chain restaurants here. Hell even the local places feel the need to open up multiple locations. Spicy Pie, JL Beers, Juano's (which I think closed or sold their locations) Sweeto Burrito and even the HiHo. Its almost like they feel they need to trick the populous into believing they are eating at a chain.

Just had JL Beers last week, of course that was at the location in NE Minneapolis. Felt weird, but it was delicious and the beer was flowing.

Twentysix
February 10th, 2015, 06:25 PM
I want to see N. Dakota St. host Furman, so CitDog can attend.......

Happened just a few years ago, one of my professors is a Furman grad which is probably why I remember. I gave him **** all week.

TheKingpin28
February 10th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Dead on man. That place is great. Loved Bisonturf as well...good burger and all that. Really was sad we didn't get to try out BWW but then again there is one just down the street a bit from my office that already don't go to so...

Well I'm at the Turf every Tuesday for mini mug night. Their seasoned fries and sweet and sour chili sauce are top notch. I do like their Turf Burger. They finally got Moosedrool on tap. Standard Brown Ale but it's one of my favorites. If I come for the Montana game, I got to see what Mizzoula has to offer. Furthest I've been that I remember being in Montana was Red Lodge but family lives in Spokane so I think I've been through before? Too bad I don't know if I know anyone personally going to the game.

Bisonoline
February 10th, 2015, 08:23 PM
gumby you are just screwing with me now and you are gonna Rickroll me aren't ya! I saw this one coming brother! Nice try!

There is a place that there burritos are bigger than Chipotles and you drove right by it to get to Sickies. Think chipotles burrito and the add another half to it.
Place is called Romos

This is the medium size.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/plnwtf/20140909_160139.jpeg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/plnwtf/media/20140909_160139.jpeg.html)

That platter is 12 inches long. Price? $9.00.

Drblankstare
February 12th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I walk away from Romos feeling nothing but shame. Delicious Delicious shame:D

gumby013
February 12th, 2015, 08:42 PM
I think it is evident we need Tom Rinaldi to do some in depth reporting into this chain restaurant thing.

ndsubison
February 12th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Romo' s is Bomb. Been tellin ppl for months. Authentic, great prices and service, and a belly full of satisfaction. Beats Juano' s n Sweeto any day. Fk Chipotle. Not even close bro.

FargoBison
February 12th, 2015, 11:40 PM

Well Ursus it is infinitely better than it was 10-15 years ago back when downtown sucked and the west acres corridor(chain mecca) was all there was.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 12th, 2015, 11:41 PM
There is a place that there burritos are bigger than Chipotles and you drove right by it to get to Sickies. Think chipotles burrito and the add another half to it.
Place is called Romos

This is the medium size.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/plnwtf/20140909_160139.jpeg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/plnwtf/media/20140909_160139.jpeg.html)

That platter is 12 inches long. Price? $9.00.

That looks pretty f'n fantastic. How many stories is the forum doing on this place? Serious, they do stories on places like this as well right?

FargoBison
February 12th, 2015, 11:51 PM
They do cover local restaurants...The Forum has an obsession with restaurants...

http://www.inforum.com/content/taco-transition-romos-strives-overcome-few-speed-bumps-its-shift-food-truck-restaurant

http://www.inforum.com/content/review-w%C3%BCrst-bier-hall-less-about-germany-more-about-decent-bar-food-good-brews

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2015, 11:53 PM
That looks pretty f'n fantastic. How many stories is the forum doing on this place? Serious, they do stories on places like this as well right?

Im only in Fargo for the fall. But I have seen articles about some local places like the TNT Diner. Great comfort food(huge Swedish meatballs on Thursday) and there open face beef or turkey sandwich with mashed taters and gravy is pretty big and good also. They also serve breakfast. Plus its next to Sandys Donuts who have yes great donuts but also serves breakfast. RJs on University is good for breakfast.

The Pasole at Romos is phenomenal. Its a Mexican soup-stew. very hearty and spicy.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/plnwtf/017.jpeg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/plnwtf/media/017.jpeg.html)

This is an Enchilada Torta they ask why type of ingredients you want. They take a tortilla then put your ingredient on it and then take another tortilla put it on top and add your ingredients again. They do that 4-5 times.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 12:45 AM
They do cover local restaurants...The Forum has an obsession with restaurants...

http://www.inforum.com/content/taco-transition-romos-strives-overcome-few-speed-bumps-its-shift-food-truck-restaurant

http://www.inforum.com/content/review-w%C3%BCrst-bier-hall-less-about-germany-more-about-decent-bar-food-good-brews

Well there should be an obsession with good restaurants so good on em' for that.

Ex Pat
February 13th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Well there should be an obsession with good restaurants so good on em' for that.

Remember that FM is very spread out and has just a hair under a quarter million in the metro. I realize that's not enormous but if 100 rubes are lining up for a burrito down in the burbs it is not a good sample size for the mindset of our entire community (as much fun as it is to poke fun at admittedly). Also nobody fear, Wuerst Hall's first year performance was beyond projections and it's still packed regularly. we just really like foodxnodx

TheKingpin28
February 13th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Remember that FM is very spread out and has just a hair under a quarter million in the metro. I realize that's not enormous but if 100 rubes are lining up for a burrito down in the burbs it is not a good sample size for the mindset of our entire community (as much fun as it is to poke fun at admittedly). Also nobody fear, Wuerst Hall's first year performance was beyond projections and it's still packed regularly. we just really like foodxnodx

And drinking, don't forget the drinking

Grizalltheway
February 13th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Oh, well you're totally unique in that.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 11:55 AM

I get that and it would not be present in the forefront of my mind if BWW wasn't talked about as the place to be on here as much as it used to be. See I did not know about this penchant for chain worship until I saw it here first then started Columbo-ing all this stuff together. NDSU fan wins gift card...he wants it to BWW, various other things from the board. xlolx

TennBison
February 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM

If ESPN did do another game that involved NDSU. It would matter very little if it was being held in Missoula against Montana. Look at last year when the Bison played Incarnate Word, Gameday had nothing to do with who the Bison were playing, but the fact the NDSU was one of the teams and Fargo. You would think that Gameday would choose based on match up of who the teams are, but that is not clearly the case. If Gameday did go to Missoula for that game it would have very little if anything to do with Montana, and virtually everything to do with the Bison being there. Not a knock on Missoula and Montana, I think the city if great myself and Montana is a storied FCS program.

SUPharmacist
February 13th, 2015, 01:00 PM
If ESPN did do another game that involved NDSU. It would matter very little if it was being held in Missoula against Montana. Look at last year when the Bison played Incarnate Word, Gameday had nothing to do with who the Bison were playing, but the fact the NDSU was one of the teams and Fargo. You would think that Gameday would choose based on match up of who the teams are, but that is not clearly the case. If Gameday did go to Missoula for that game it would have very little if anything to do with Montana, and virtually everything to do with the Bison being there. Not a knock on Missoula and Montana, I think the city if great myself and Montana is a storied FCS program.

Disagree, if it was in Missoula would definitely have a fair amount of Montana coverage. You are correct the NDSU games weren't selected based on match-ups, but if the game picked had a good match-up it would be more balanced coverage.

TennBison
February 13th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Disagree, if it was in Missoula would definitely have a fair amount of Montana coverage. You are correct the NDSU games weren't selected based on match-ups, but if the game picked had a good match-up it would be more balanced coverage.

I agree there would be fair/equal Montana coverage. My point is that ESPN more than likely would only go there because of NDSU. Might be a moot point though because I am not even sure that ESPN has a Gameday show at that time of the season.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 04:29 PM

It would have litttle to do with the Bison as they wouldn't be the people in the shots. It would be about Missoula and the Griz and playing the Bison might help bring it here but the Bison wouldn't be filling this like it does in Fargo. When it's in Fargo it's about Fargo and the Bison. If it's in Missoula it won't be relying on the Bison to do the job and we've been the leader in FCS fan experience for a long, long time. Glad to have y'all around but we've been doing this for a long time as well.

NDSUSR
February 13th, 2015, 04:36 PM
When it's in Fargo it's about Fargo and the Bison. If it's in Missoula its about Missoula and the Griz.
Thats just what GameDay does.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 04:40 PM
When it's in Fargo it's about Fargo and the Bison. If it's in Missoula its about Missoula and the Griz.
Thats just what GameDay does.

I got a little wordy but you've summed things up nicely. Tip of the cap to ya.

No_Skill
February 13th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I get that and it would not be present in the forefront of my mind if BWW wasn't talked about as the place to be on here as much as it used to be. See I did not know about this penchant for chain worship until I saw it here first then started Columbo-ing all this stuff together. NDSU fan wins gift card...he wants it to BWW, various other things from the board. xlolx

BWW is a sponsor of NDSU athletics and the chains around the state usually host viewing parties for games. That could be part of why they are talked about so much.

MR. CHICKEN
February 13th, 2015, 05:06 PM
20598......AH'D BET UH 2015 POLARIS 800 RUSH PRO-S........DAT MISERYOULAH...WOOD ROCK JES' AS GOOD AS FARGO....IFIN' CORSO SHOWED UP......IN MONTE'S SUIT....AN' DUH SHOW COOD LEAD-IN...WHIFF UH CLARK GRIZZWOLD SCENE...EVERAH SO OFTEN......DEN ZOOM IN ON DUH G'WOLD'S......WHO'ER HOLDIN'..UH..."WE DON'T NEED NO DOME....TA BE LOUD"...PLACARD......&......DUH...."49-48" SIGN......:p...BRAWK!!

thebootfitter
February 13th, 2015, 06:22 PM
It would have litttle to do with the Bison as they wouldn't be the people in the shots. It would be about Missoula and the Griz and playing the Bison might help bring it here but the Bison wouldn't be filling this like it does in Fargo. When it's in Fargo it's about Fargo and the Bison. If it's in Missoula it won't be relying on the Bison to do the job and we've been the leader in FCS fan experience for a long, long time. Glad to have y'all around but we've been doing this for a long time as well.
First of all... this is a lot like discussing hypothetical football match ups -- which I personally like to do from time to time, but doesn't really add much value to the real world, because they just ain't gonna happen.

That being said... I hear ya, Ursus, and I do think if Gameday came to Missoula, they'd do a great job of showcasing Missoula and the Griz. But based on the tweets about the Youngstown possibility last year, I think the only reason Gameday would even consider going to Missoula right now is if they were playing the Bison. And I do think they'd spend at least some chunk of time talking about the Bison, even if the event were in Missoula or Youngstown.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2015, 09:26 PM
First of all... this is a lot like discussing hypothetical football match ups -- which I personally like to do from time to time, but doesn't really add much value to the real world, because they just ain't gonna happen.

That being said... I hear ya, Ursus, and I do think if Gameday came to Missoula, they'd do a great job of showcasing Missoula and the Griz. But based on the tweets about the Youngstown possibility last year, I think the only reason Gameday would even consider going to Missoula right now is if they were playing the Bison. And I do think they'd spend at least some chunk of time talking about the Bison, even if the event were in Missoula or Youngstown.

Don't disagree with any of that and don't know if you thought I was saying different? I don't care if they were to come here, doesn't matter to me at all but our fan base is as strong as any and would make CGD look good just as Fargo has done. I'm fine kinda keeping it to ourselves though.

Also, you are correct, this is one of hundreds of pointless conversations we will be having over the next 5 or 6 months. xlolx

It's stupid season and I'm fairly trained up so get ready.xthumbsupx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
March 8th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Agree. I don't understand why everyone is selling Missoula so short. Montana has been, as was said, a top fan base in the FCS for a very very long time. I think that they'd do great with game day and and having a good opponent should make it more inviting. Really looking forward to the FCS opener. Random. How in the heck do we get tickets that don't cost 200$$?

ursus arctos horribilis
March 9th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Agree. I don't understand why everyone is selling Missoula so short. Montana has been, as was said, a top fan base in the FCS for a very very long time. I think that they'd do great with game day and and having a good opponent should make it more inviting. Really looking forward to the FCS opener. Random. How in the heck do we get tickets that don't cost 200$$?

Honesgtly, that ain't gonna be easy. If I can come up with anything I will do something for board members (Bison fans on AGS) to grab at them lottery style but it ain't gonna be easy getting tiks for anybody but especially Bison fans unfortunately. They are just long gone usually with season ticket sales and all.

I got friends though and it's possible I might be able to shake a few loose so gonna work on it.

gumby013
June 11th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Well, and to think I was gonna have my eyes gouged out later today as I was under the impression I had seen everything. Thank you Fargo, I'm keeping them!

God damn, that has to be a joke. That's just...well it's...how would...I mean why in the hell would....shouldn't the guy that approved something like this be fired or at the very least...man...that is just an embarrassment.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse. The local paper reviewed a Hardee's menu item today.

http://www.inforum.com/variety/3763737-review-hardees-most-american-thickburger-no-national-treasure

BisonBacker
June 11th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Anybody who buys that POS (I haven't by the way and I won't) ought to have their head examined. A flippin dog on a burger for crying out loud? The dam thing looks like a $ H I T F E S T on a bun. The only good thing going for it is the chick in the commercial in the bikini. Poor thing had to take a bite of that POS and you could see the look on her face was all too telling. I had a hard time looking at her face and taking my eyes off her rack tho.

Model Citizen
June 11th, 2015, 09:10 PM
It's stupid season and I'm fairly trained up...

What did the buffalo say when his son left for college?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2015, 10:15 PM
What did the buffalo say when his son left for college?

Bye Boy?
Cya Son?
Send pics of the hot cows?
Beat it, me and yo mama gonna be knockin' hooves all day and all night?

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Anybody who buys that POS (I haven't by the way and I won't) ought to have their head examined. A flippin dog on a burger for crying out loud? The dam thing looks like a $ H I T F E S T on a bun. The only good thing going for it is the chick in the commercial in the bikini. Poor thing had to take a bite of that POS and you could see the look on her face was all too telling. I had a hard time looking at her face and taking my eyes off her rack tho.

Hot dog on a burger---no. Ive tried it myself. Now a brat on a burger is another story.

gotts
June 11th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Bye Boy?
Cya Son?
Send pics of the hot cows?
Beat it, me and yo mama gonna be knockin' hooves all day and all night?

Everybody knows the answer is "durrrrr"

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 21st, 2015, 10:14 PM
Looks like a Gameday is coming back for a third year.

http://www.inforum.com/news/education/3821939-ndsu-president-says-hes-confident-college-gameday-will-return

Bisonoline
August 21st, 2015, 10:28 PM

http://www.inforum.com/news/education/3821939-ndsu-president-says-hes-confident-college-gameday-will-return

The pres should stfu. Geez. He should know better.

Thundar
August 22nd, 2015, 12:18 AM

and you know this for sure....come on....many factors play into this

wow come on. I'll be shocked if they come back

RootinFerDukes
August 22nd, 2015, 03:46 AM
He is speaking a little too liberally on something he doesn't have control over.
Our president is excessively cautious about what he says, like he won't publicly acknowledge a pursuit to move to fbs because he doesn't want to be held accountable if it never happens (which it's looking like it never will).
All it takes is one or two losses prior to the week they're considering and it won't end up happening.

Catsfan90
August 22nd, 2015, 03:49 AM
"We would certainly welcome them back, but no one from ESPN has been in contact with NDSU at this point," Larsen was quoted saying.

Seems like they're counting there chickens way to early.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 22nd, 2015, 07:07 AM
Seems like they're counting there chickens way to early.

Probably are but if NDSU is 4-0 heading into the UNI game, it could happen.