PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone wish?

UNHWildcat18
February 5th, 2015, 11:58 AM
That transferring from FBS to FCS was not allowed. I know not every transfer is going to be a star just because they are recruited as FBS but I feel its not "cheating" but its not really that honorable to just load up with transfers in a way. While I may not enjoy all of the bison fans and I cannot stand how they have won it every year for 4 years. I DO respect that besides 1 transfer, they home grow their team just like UNH does. Not saying transferring makes you win championships because it hasn't so far but it definitely puts teams ahead that otherwise probably wouldn't be in that position. I know kids have to work hard regardless of where you come from so I'm not putting down anyones teams in terms of work ethic. I can see getting 1-3 transfers but seeing some teams get more than three is like really? Just not a fan of having large amounts of transfers I guess.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Montana doesn't have a lot of transfers but I don't have any problem with it. For the most part Thr p5 will get as many of the top kids as they can and then G5 and FCS top 25 start gettin the next group of talent. Once a kid sees he won't be seeing any or much time and wants to play then he has a chance to take a shot at his rightful spot in the mix.

The Griz got their asses kicked in 1998 (I think) by a WIU team that was loaded with transfers (at the time) and even though I didn't like it much it didn't bother me in any sort of a way I see some guys around here trying to portray the transfer thing.

It's a risk a team takes cuz it works and it doesn't about equally.

MR. CHICKEN
February 5th, 2015, 01:02 PM
20559.....FCS COMPETES WHIFF FBS..IN DUH RECRUITIN' PROCESS.....SO SAY...GRIZZWOLD'S....GO AFTERAH QB....WHOM ENDS UP @ SOUFFERN CAL......AN' 1 YEAR LATER...SAID QB....WANTS TA XFER...TA FCS.....WETHER IT'S MONTANA......E. WASH....DWEEBER STATE....WHAT'S DUH DIFF....WOODAH HAD SAME RESULT..IFIN' KID JES' WENT FCS...IN DUH 1ST PLACE....xnodx.....AWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

Sycamore62
February 5th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I'd like kids who take a shot at FBS have somewhere to go when they find out they arent going to play.

Mattymc727
February 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM
What if there was a transfer limit per school? Say 10 transfers?

Bisonoline
February 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM
That transferring from FBS to FCS was not allowed. I know not every transfer is going to be a star just because they are recruited as FBS but I feel its not "cheating" but its not really that honorable to just load up with transfers in a way. While I may not enjoy all of the bison fans and I cannot stand how they have won it every year for 4 years. I DO respect that besides 1 transfer, they home grow their team just like UNH does. Not saying transferring makes you win championships because it hasn't so far but it definitely puts teams ahead that otherwise probably wouldn't be in that position. I know kids have to work hard regardless of where you come from so I'm not putting down anyones teams in terms of work ethic. I can see getting 1-3 transfers but seeing some teams get more than three is like really? Just not a fan of having large amounts of transfers I guess.

Why would you deny a kids dream to continue his quest to play football?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2015, 03:12 PM
What if there was a transfer limit per school? Say 10 transfers?

I don't see why it would be necessary but wouldn't have a problem with it either if it were deemed necessary. This is one of those things that there is way more drama made out of it than it ever deserves.

lionsrking2
February 5th, 2015, 03:13 PM

That's what the Pioneer League and D-III is for.

runmymouth
February 5th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I think the rules are fine. Last year we had a boatload of transfers and this year we took 3. There are all sorts of reasons to and not to use transfers. I am much more excited about our recruiting class this year than I was last year.

Catbooster
February 5th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Montana State has 7 transfers this year - 3 FBS and 4 JC - which is probably more than the other 8 years of Ash's coaching time here combined. But if anyone saw our defense last year (you probably didn't since there was little defense to see) then add in the defensive graduations and a few whose careers ended, and we probably needed to get a few players in with more than high school size and experience.

One of the transfers is from UAB. UAB shutting down football probably added a few to the potential transfer pool this year.

OSBF
February 5th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with a kid that transfers "down" to see the field(Tre Roberson)

BUT..................................

When you bring a guy onto your campus that pissed himself in the backseat of a police cruiser after getting arrested in Akron while trying to kick in some chicks front door (David Perkins)

That's a whole different deal there

As mentioned here already, no program with a foundational base built on transfers has ever been able to achieve sustained excellence

At the end of the day it's all about recruiting and perhaps using transfers to plug holes or fill behind prospects that didn't work out as planned

UNHWildcat18
February 5th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Why would you deny a kids dream to continue his quest to play football?

That's a good point while one could say kids at higher level FBS schools could go to a lower one. Where do the kids at the lower ones go if they can't transfer to anywhere else. I guess I'd just prefer a limit then. Also some of these kids aren't going to sit for multiple years before coming a starter it may just be one year and not like it. All situations are different. Still I'm just not a fan of teams loading up on transfers. Many schools wouldn't be in playoff contention without them IMO

walliver
February 5th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I think transfers to FCS should be treated just like a transfer to another FBS school. Whichever rule applies to one should apply to the other.

Sammy94
February 5th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure why JUCO kids are considered transfers. They can only play two years and then move on.

Gordon Shumway
February 5th, 2015, 05:01 PM
I'm with OSBF on this one. I have no problem with guys transferring down to play, or JC transfers. I do have a problem with players getting kicked off or run out of their FBS school being able to transfer, and immediately play. There is no easy way to fix that problem without punishing the innocent, but despite that the real answer is sitting out a year should be applied across the board.

I probably won't lose a lot of sleep over it until some team shows the long term effectiveness of relying on transfers.

Old Cat Fan
February 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM
The only problem I have is that UNH can never land any of these transfers and is frustrating when they get beat by teams that have them and contribute

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I think JC transfers should be allowed to play right away and encouraged. Same with D2 transfers. FBS transfers should have to sit a year. If they really want to play football they will have no problem sitting out a year. The year they sit out doesn't count against eligibility.

KPSUL
February 5th, 2015, 06:25 PM
FCS teams that take a large number of FBS transfers year after year will eventually pay a price by losing out on high school recruits who don't want to take a chance of working hard as an underclassman to learn a system and earn a starting position only to be replaced several months before the start of a season by a FBS transfer. I wish they had never changed the rule that required all transfers to sit out one season regardless of the levels they transfer between. But I'm confident that Coach McDonnell and his staff know how to select the high school seniors who will fit well in their system and they have proven methods to develop those kids into very effective college players.

UNHWildcat18
February 5th, 2015, 06:25 PM
I think JC transfers should be allowed to play right away and encouraged. Same with D2 transfers. FBS transfers should have to sit a year. If they really want to play football they will have no problem sitting out a year. The year they sit out doesn't count against eligibility.

+1

UNHWildcat18
February 5th, 2015, 06:27 PM
The only problem I have is that UNH can never land any of these transfers and is frustrating when they get beat by teams that have them and contribute

It's not that we cannot land them. We never go after them, not coach mac's style.

bonarae
February 5th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I have mixed thoughts on FBS and to some extent Canadian transfers. Some who transferred to the Ivies were successful (e.g. Dawson and Varga), others flopped along the way (Nottingham, Irwin, Bryant). But most players who play in the Ivies tend to stay all of their 4-year careers there (whether they still play football or not by the time they're in their senior year).

I do not know of any Ivy player who transferred up to a scholarship FBS/FCS program straight away. They are apparently aware of the problems in the FBS and the potential problems creeping up there.

OK, regarding JUCO players, since the Ivies generally do not accept them as transfers, for the scholarship folks, give them at least a chance. Most likely their #1 reason is that they needed more exposure and/or playing time and/or a chance to improve their grades.

D-II transfers? Currently they have to sit out a year if they move up in division. But for example, if a program (in any division) stops their football program, most players tend to transfer out to pursue their football dream. Many players are like that (also applies to the originally recruited kids), and to some extent, the consequences to their future can be great if they are at one different school one year after the other.

Well, in another thread I posted an NFL.com article regarding the "where are they now?" of five-star recruits from 2002 to 2010. Being a talented recruit can sometimes go to waste as well... for many reasons. xwhistlex

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Why? FCS and FBS players have the same standards that need to be met while D2 and possibly Juco are at a lesser level? This seems completely backwards. There is nothing wrong with the way it is now in the first place but that solution is more problematic.

WestCoastAggie
February 5th, 2015, 08:17 PM
A&T just had a QB transfer to Charlotte and we brought in a WR/QB transfer from Minn.

Bisonoline
February 5th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Why should a transfer have to sit a year? Why punish a kid. Makes no sense to me.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 5th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Who cares? Obviously transfers aren't the key to success anyway. Why does it matter?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Who cares? Obviously transfers aren't the key to success anyway. Why does it matter?

Exactly what I was getting at earlier. It's trying to make a mountain out a mole hill is all this is.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 5th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Exactly what I was getting at earlier. It's trying to make a mountain out a mole hill is all this is.

Everyone has such visceral reactions. Some teams do really rely on them. Good for them, most don't. They defend them staunchly and other schools who don't get them get all pissy.

citdog
February 6th, 2015, 02:42 AM
Everyone has such visceral reactions. Some teams do really rely on them. Good for them, most don't. They defend them staunchly and other schools who don't get them get all pissy.

some schools are not interested in them PERIOD.....

Bisonator
February 6th, 2015, 09:14 AM
IMO it should depend on the reasons for the transfer. If it's a good kid who simply wants a better shot at playing time then I have no issues. If it's a trouble maker running from his problems that's a different story. If a school feels they need 10-15 transfers then they have other issues and those don't tend to correct themselves with transfers. It all works itself out so I don't think changes need to be made.

OSBF
February 6th, 2015, 09:19 AM
IMO it should depend on the reasons for the transfer. If it's a good kid who simply wants a better shot at playing time then I have no issues. If it's a trouble maker running from his problems that's a different story. If a school feels they need 10-15 transfers then they have other issues and those don't tend to correct themselves with transfers. It all works itself out so I don't think changes need to be made.

Year before last ILS had 20+

Last year I think there were 5-7

Now we're going back the other way

"only" had 22 signees on signing day

That means he's left the door open for a pile of transfers.....................again

UNH72Plus
February 6th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I guess I have an irrational dislike for schools that beef up with multiple transfers, but, as has been pointed out several times, those schools haven't historically dominated the FCS. Part of the issue is we're talking about kids with stars in their eyes and big dreams of playing football. They are often kids who were big fish in little ponds who suddenly realize that maybe the big pond isn't where they ought to be. Furthermore, many of the kids who do go on to be stars were under recruited, but thanks to great coaching and work ethic excelled. Two great examples of this at UNH were Ricky Santos who was practically ignored by everyone except UNH and started the year as #4 on the depth chart, only to go on to win the Walter Payton award; and David Ball, who I believe came to UNH on a half track scholarship as a high jumper, and went on to beat a couple of Jerry Rice's FCS receiving records. So I guess the bottom lines is, and as we say up here in NH, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

AmsterBison
February 6th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Bring them on, I say. Grist for the mill or something.

However, I do wish that the broadcast teams would adhere to the following rules for referring to a student-athlete as a transfer:

1. If the player has been at their new school longer than their old school (not counting their redshirt season) and never started for their old school, the broadcaster should not refer to them as a transfer at all.
2. Otherwise, they can refer to them as a transfer once per broadcast.

Penalties for non-compliance should be an electric shock of increasing power for each violation and an immediate tweet showing their "shock face" with the hashtag: #oopsydaisyiwaslazy

OSBF
February 6th, 2015, 09:59 AM
FCS teams that take a large number of FBS transfers year after year will eventually pay a price by losing out on high school recruits who don't want to take a chance of working hard as an underclassman to learn a system and earn a starting position only to be replaced several months before the start of a season by a FBS transfer. I wish they had never changed the rule that required all transfers to sit out one season regardless of the levels they transfer between. But I'm confident that Coach McDonnell and his staff know how to select the high school seniors who will fit well in their system and they have proven methods to develop those kids into very effective college players.

BINGO!!!!!

This right on the money

Blake winkler is the case study for this

He goes from starter to never gonna see the field again when Tre Roberson arrived

By all accounts he's very happy with the school and is content to run the scout team in practice while getting a first-class business degree

But if you're a top notch HS QB and you see this happen, has got to make you pause and consider your options

Is our offense more dynamic and overall team better with Roberson?

Absolutely

But does that seem completely unfair to treat Winkler?

again, Absolutely

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2015, 11:24 AM
BINGO!!!!!

This right on the money

He goes from starter to never gonna see the field again when Tre Roberson arrived

By all accounts he's very happy with the school and is content to run the scout team in practice while getting a first-class business degree

But if you're a top notch HS QB and you see this happen, has got to make you pause and consider your options

Absolutely

again, Absolutely

Sorry, don't agree. If it's my team I want to see the best players we can get playing the game. If Walker is not as good then he needs to work on it to take the spot. I doubt that this will have a big impact on recruiting players in the future because most of those guys being recruited will have confidence in their own ability to the point that will think they can out work and out compete others at their position.

But mostly, let's say you are building a chain. You have several links laying there, you picked them all up yourself and tested them thinking they would make a strong chain. Then your buddy stops by and has a link that is slightly stronger than the links you already have.

Do you just toss it aside and build the weaker chain or do you take it and build the stronger one?

Life ain't fair in the sense that everyone gets a trophy, you need to work at it and if you are the best you compete for the sole spots in your given group.

Let's put our emotions and feelings aside and hope that our coaches and schools give us the best law abiding college football products we can have.

Sycamore62
February 6th, 2015, 11:33 AM
BINGO!!!!!

This right on the money

Absolutely

again, Absolutely

A guy like him could also lose his starting position to a Freshman recruit. You cant just worry about transfers when you are playing.

Sycamore62
February 6th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I dislike the problem with the schools having ALL the power over your career WAY more than kids transferring.

I also hate it when FCS schools get a FBS transfer that works out great for them.

It is absolutely fine when Indiana State gets a FBS transfer that works out great.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
IMVHO, a school with a lot of transfers is a team with a lot of holes during recruiting in prior years. A good program simply doesn't need a lot of transfers because they're doing a very good job recruiting on their own program/coaches merit. For example, for NDSU there simply aren't a lot of slots open for transfers.

Having said that, I have no problem plugging a hole or two with a transfer if it's necessary. To me, the best programs use transfers as the final piece of a puzzle, not the foundation.

Mattymc727
February 6th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Actually, if UNH wanted transfers, this year would have been a perfect year to do it. UNH lost 23 seniors and a lot of talented skill position players from RB, TE, WR. There is definitely an opportunity for a great talent to come in right away and play. However, UNH doesnt run that way and will fill those spots with sophomores and juniors who have been waiting their turn. As a fan, one wonders what could be if we took transfers. But hey, why fix something that aint broken.

Next man up.

bonarae
February 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM
IMVHO, a school with a lot of transfers is a team with a lot of holes during recruiting in prior years. A good program simply doesn't need a lot of transfers because they're doing a very good job recruiting on their own program/coaches merit. For example, for NDSU there simply aren't a lot of slots open for transfers.

Having said that, I have no problem plugging a hole or two with a transfer if it's necessary. To me, the best programs use transfers as the final piece of a puzzle, not the foundation.

I agree, and that way works for the Ivies.

A guy like him could also lose his starting position to a Freshman recruit. You cant just worry about transfers when you are playing.

Yes, this also happens with the Ivies as well. For example, for the past few years at QB, Harvard has had some underclassmen under center at times.

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM
If it isn't broke, why fix it?

Sometimes teams are in need of a transfer due to unforseen reasons, ah la: Sam Houston State. Sometimes a coach thinks they need the FBS talent and try to win with transfers: KC Keeler. We'll see how that turns out for him long term at Sam Houston, but I doubt he's going to try that formula forever, but I could be wrong.