PDA

View Full Version : UNI hires new OC

clenz
February 4th, 2015, 06:38 PM
UNI has used co for years with Bill Salmon and Mario Verduzco. Nothing ever changed with them. You all know my feelings on their play calling.

Well, Verduzco left for Missouri State and was replaced with Joe adavis from Shippenburg (also where our new president came from). When he was hired a couple weeks ago his title was never listed, probably for recruiting reasons as leaving Salmon OC was big on some pitches. Anyway he was officially named OC today. No word on what Salmon's role will be going forward.

He made some interesting comments during today's UNI radio show. To paraphrase: huddling is a thing of the past and will no longer happen at UNI. He compared his system to Baylor, Okie State, Auburn and Oregon. That's a huge change from the way it was. UNI almost never broke the huddle before the play clock hit 20.

His offenses at Shippensburg put up over 500 ypg and were top 10 in d2 every year. No idea what kind of QB he wants but after he was hired the first kid we seemed to really focus on was a QB from Chicago that was headed to ISUr and play the same type of game was Tre Roberdon and also have a QB on campus that was a JUCO AA that originally committed to the CCU system.

No idea what to be expect but I'm actually excited to see the system for the first time in years. Was always excited to see players like Eric Sanders, David Johnson, Corey Lewis, etc... Bit never the system.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2015, 07:12 PM
UNI has used co for years with Bill Salmon and Mario Verduzco. Nothing ever changed with them. You all know my feelings on their play calling.

Well, Verduzco left for Missouri State and was replaced with Joe adavis from Shippenburg (also where our new president came from). When he was hired a couple weeks ago his title was never listed, probably for recruiting reasons as leaving Salmon OC was big on some pitches. Anyway he was officially named OC today. No word on what Salmon's role will be going forward.

He made some interesting comments during today's UNI radio show. To paraphrase: huddling is a thing of the past and will no longer happen at UNI. He compared his system to Baylor, Okie State, Auburn and Oregon. That's a huge change from the way it was. UNI almost never broke the huddle before the play clock hit 20.

His offenses at Shippensburg put up over 500 ypg and were top 10 in d2 every year. No idea what kind of QB he wants but after he was hired the first kid we seemed to really focus on was a QB from Chicago that was headed to ISUr and play the same type of game was Tre Roberdon and also have a QB on campus that was a JUCO AA that originally committed to the CCU system.

No idea what to be expect but I'm actually excited to see the system for the first time in years. Was always excited to see players like Eric Sanders, David Johnson, Corey Lewis, etc... Bit never the system.

Good luck with that. xthumbsupx

centennial
February 4th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Not a fan of no huddle offense. Given that I watched a lot of UNI games last season I would say anything is better.

Bisonator
February 4th, 2015, 07:28 PM
UNI better start recruiting and conditioning their players for that type of system then. I'll be surprised if Farley and the defensive players like that style. Puts a ton of pressure on your own defense and look what OSU did to Oregon in the CFP. Might be exciting and fun to watch but it doesn't necessarily result in wins. Just sayin....

clenz
February 4th, 2015, 07:34 PM
UNI better start recruiting and conditioning their players for that type of system then. I'll be surprised if Farley and the defensive players like that style. Puts a ton of pressure on your own defense and look what OSU did to Oregon in the CFP. Might be exciting and fun to watch but it doesn't necessarily result in wins. Just sayin....
Look how much UNIs defense was on the field this year....or the year before... Or any year since about 04. I'm never worried about a UNI defense.

There was about 10 ol brought in this year. The skill position will be fine. I think there's a QB on this program that can run the no huddle...likely means Sawyer isn't behind center game 1.

The OL is the concern. Was relatively weak this year and was always recruited in the standard upper Midwest mold.

I'm trying to find decent shippenburg tape

clenz
February 4th, 2015, 07:39 PM
His team ran 951plays last season in 11 games and actually controlled the ball over 31 mpg...

That's 86 damn plays per game. Holy ****

clenz
February 4th, 2015, 07:41 PM
By contrast UNI ran 956 in 14 games...18 less plays per game.

Wow

Lehigh'98
February 4th, 2015, 08:49 PM

That's the dumbest example I've ever heard. Oregon had one of the best offenses in recent memory and ran through everyone up until the title game. I'd say that system suits them very well.

Bisonator
February 4th, 2015, 09:00 PM
That's the dumbest example I've ever heard.

What do I win?

JSUBison
February 4th, 2015, 10:53 PM
My oh my. UNI is going to be a finesse team now. They just went Full Big Sky. xeekx

PAllen
February 5th, 2015, 07:41 AM
What do I win?

Our ever lasting love and affection. Or, at least an extra snarky comment or two from us, same thing. :)

OSBF
February 5th, 2015, 07:45 AM
No idea what kind of QB he wants but after he was hired the first kid we seemed to really focus on was a QB from Chicago that was headed to ISUr and play the same type of game was Tre Roberdon and also have a QB on campus that was a JUCO AA that originally committed to the CCU system.

That was a REALLY weird deal there. The NCAA clearinghouse said he was eligible.
Then ILS pulled the offer with little fanfare.
In the interview where he announced his recruitment was open again, he says he was told by ILS that he was a non-qualifier and they were moving on from him.
Flat out weird.

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 08:13 AM
That was a REALLY weird deal there. The NCAA clearinghouse said he was eligible.
Then ILS pulled the offer with little fanfare.
In the interview where he announced his recruitment was open again, he says he was told by ILS that he was a non-qualifier and they were moving on from him.
Flat out weird.
I thought the same too.

How does the clearinghouse say he's eligible, he ends up signing with UNI, but ISUr said he wasn't a qualifier?
Both UNI and ISUr have very similar acceptance rates.

He looks to be a redshirt. The starter this year is either Sawyer or the JUCO kid that signed with CCU out of HS - Dalton Demos

Lehigh'98
February 5th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'll work on getting you a signed Vernon Adams Oregon Ducks jersey xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
February 5th, 2015, 08:56 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this offense plays out in the MVFC. I have my doubts but UNI has the horses to make it work if things fall into place for them. I have a feeling they may struggle out of the gate with this new scheme when you look at their massively front loaded schedule:

9/5: at Iowa State
9/12: vs Eastern Washington
9/19: at Cal Poly
10/3: at Illinois State
10/10: at NDSU

That's 4 of the first 5 on the road in hostile environments for a new offensive scheme and all 5 teams are going to have some pretty good offenses (in relation to FCS Iowa State has a pretty good offense :)). We'll find out in a hurry whether this new hurry up offensive scheme hurts the UNI defense.

IBleedYellow
February 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
So the Valley is starting to change from a power football physical league to a hurry up no huddle already? We'll see how it turns out. Look forward to seeing the upcoming season already!

What I see happening, either the HUNH team will outrun everyone in the conference, and everyone attempts to copy that system, or they get pummeled into oblivion by the other power teams. I'm actually pretty saddened that UNI is going to HUNH, I always thought of them as a traditional power "we're going to beat you to a pulp" football team just like NDSU.

tomq04
February 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Major changes tend to cause a rough year...so what. It will likely prove to be good for shaking things up over the next 3 years.

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 10:57 AM
So the Valley is starting to change from a power football physical league to a hurry up no huddle already? We'll see how it turns out. Look forward to seeing the upcoming season already!

What I see happening, either the HUNH team will outrun everyone in the conference, and everyone attempts to copy that system, or they get pummeled into oblivion by the other power teams. I'm actually pretty saddened that UNI is going to HUNH, I always thought of them as a traditional power "we're going to beat you to a pulp" football team just like NDSU.
Everyone assumes a no huddle is a finesse.

I don't know that this will be finesse. Looking at his Shippensburg numbers they ran 80 some plays per game but nearly 50 of them were run plays. It's still a power offense but run quickly from the look of it

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Major changes tend to cause a rough year...so what. It will likely prove to be good for shaking things up over the next 3 years.
Was going to be a rough year offensively anyway.

Lost DJ, lost a couple OL, lost top 3 WRs and strange QB situation thanks to how Salmon/Verduzco handled Saywer last year.

Might as well be rough while learning something new.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Sounds fairly similar to Stitt's offense but have no idea on that. Just a lot of the same sort of things about Stitt as far as plays, TOP, running the ball, etc.

344Johnson
February 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM

No rule says hurry up can't be power based.

Stanford/NDSU is one method.

Auburn is another method.

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Sounds fairly similar to Stitt's offense but have no idea on that. Just a lot of the same sort of things about Stitt as far as plays, TOP, running the ball, etc.
Coming from a D2 there isn't a ton of film on it so I can only go off of stats.

Like I said, stats from an 11 game season

39 points per game
28 first downs per game

47 rushing attempts per game
238 yards rushing per game
5.1 yards per carry
2616 total yards
29 rushing TDs

25-40 passing per game
62.5%
3,023 total yards
275 yards per game
7 yards per attempt
11 yards per completion
27 TD
11 INT

951 total plays
86 plays per game
5,639 total yards
513 yard per game
5.9 yards per play

Those were with guys who knew the system, so grains of salt taken with it.

I like the ground and pound system as well, but UNI has always tried to be a ground and pound team while using packages that just didn't work for it real well. Play calling was always bad. Too many delay of games and wasted time outs because the plays wouldn't get relayed in until 15 seconds left on the play clock.

I don't expect Baylor/Oregon like numbers this season, or maybe ever. I do expect a system that puts up good enough numbers and doesn't leave me going "What in the hell was that call" 49 times per game when we are running 60 per game. Or being able to stand in my spot during a game and tell the guy next to me "off tackle left" or "dive" or "deep pass to so and so" and be right at a rate that far exceeds the times I wrong.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 5th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Coming from a D2 there isn't a ton of film on it so I can only go off of stats.

Like I said, stats from an 11 game season

39 points per game
28 first downs per game

47 rushing attempts per game
238 yards rushing per game
5.1 yards per carry
2616 total yards
29 rushing TDs

25-40 passing per game
62.5%
3,023 total yards
275 yards per game
7 yards per attempt
11 yards per completion
27 TD
11 INT

951 total plays
86 plays per game
5,639 total yards
513 yard per game
5.9 yards per play

Those were with guys who knew the system, so grains of salt taken with it.

I like the ground and pound system as well, but UNI has always tried to be a ground and pound team while using packages that just didn't work for it real well. Play calling was always bad. Too many delay of games and wasted time outs because the plays wouldn't get relayed in until 15 seconds left on the play clock.

I don't expect Baylor/Oregon like numbers this season, or maybe ever. I do expect a system that puts up good enough numbers and doesn't leave me going "What in the hell was that call" 49 times per game when we are running 60 per game. Or being able to stand in my spot during a game and tell the guy next to me "off tackle left" or "dive" or "deep pass to so and so" and be right at a rate that far exceeds the times I wrong.

As a UM fan clenzy I can relate, the last few years we've had some similar trouble and I am also hoping the Griz establish an identity and work to perfect it.

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 12:09 PM
No rule says hurry up can't be power based.

Stanford/NDSU is one method.

Auburn is another method.
Speaking of NDSU...the JUCO that's coming in reminds me a lot...I mean a lot...of Jensen and Wentz when watching his tape. 6'5'' 200ish lbs. so he's lighter than both. He has good speed to make defenders miss, but isn't going to throw crazy jukes on anyone. Seems to know when to slide/get out of bounds and attack the defender. Quick release with a strong arm. Since he initially went to CCU but was beat out by Ross I'll say he also reminds me a lot of Ross.

Obviously I have no idea how it will translate, or if he'll even see the field. It seems like the QBs that were brought in mid year and in this signing period were specifically targeted for an offense like Davis is bringing in though.

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 12:16 PM
As a UM fan clenzy I can relate, the last few years we've had some similar trouble and I am also hoping the Griz establish an identity and work to perfect it.
That's what UNI fans want. You watched me on here last year with how UNI was calling plays. You saw me in Fargo and heard me say the same things. I said the same thing on the Wedge every week.

I'm good with growing pains for a bit if it means UNI will get into a system that will bring in good skill position guys and is something that the staff is never complacent with. Davis is young enough that I think he has all kinds of ideas/innovation in his mind for things to do. The tape I've seen has wing T/wish bone plays and then a couple plays later is shot gun 5 wide.

I watched how Montana fans reacted to Stitt and was a combo of "Man, I wish I could be that excited about a UNI offense" and "Man, they really need to temper their expectations" and just a couple weeks later that's right where I'm at. I know the talent that UNI has right now in the returning classes, especially freshman and sophomore. For the first time in years I have "hope" for the entire offense and not just DJ, or Rennie, or Corey Lewis/Eric Sanders.

This could be a complete flop that I will grow tired with as well. At least it shows an effort from Farley to try something new and not just continue with where things have been. Starting about the SDSU game last year we started to see a different Farley. I've heard, from very reliable sources, that Farley completely changed how he coached about that time last year too in regards to who he let have what control. I think between Verduzco being gone and demoting long time assistant/good friend Bill Salmon we might start seeing a new page in the UNI story. Now it's is the next chapter a happy story or a version of Saw with all kinds of demented endings to games

I've just never actually been excited for a UNI season in February like this.

PantherRob82
February 5th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I would assume as long as NDSU is in the MVFC that our offense will have a power run component.

clenz
February 5th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I would assume as long as NDSU is in the MVFC that our offense will have a power run component.
That's the thing.

I don't think you can win in the Valley...at least consistently...without being a power team in some way or another.

As I said, when people hear NUHFP (As IBY put it) they automatically thing finesse. There's a huge difference between playing fast and playing finesse.

ndsubison
February 5th, 2015, 10:37 PM
The MoVu will eat that for lunch. This isn't the big sky.

Bisonoline
February 6th, 2015, 12:21 AM
That's what UNI fans want. You watched me on here last year with how UNI was calling plays. You saw me in Fargo and heard me say the same things. I said the same thing on the Wedge every week.

I'm good with growing pains for a bit if it means UNI will get into a system that will bring in good skill position guys and is something that the staff is never complacent with. Davis is young enough that I think he has all kinds of ideas/innovation in his mind for things to do. The tape I've seen has wing T/wish bone plays and then a couple plays later is shot gun 5 wide.

I watched how Montana fans reacted to Stitt and was a combo of "Man, I wish I could be that excited about a UNI offense" and "Man, they really need to temper their expectations" and just a couple weeks later that's right where I'm at. I know the talent that UNI has right now in the returning classes, especially freshman and sophomore. For the first time in years I have "hope" for the entire offense and not just DJ, or Rennie, or Corey Lewis/Eric Sanders.

This could be a complete flop that I will grow tired with as well. At least it shows an effort from Farley to try something new and not just continue with where things have been. Starting about the SDSU game last year we started to see a different Farley. I've heard, from very reliable sources, that Farley completely changed how he coached about that time last year too in regards to who he let have what control. I think between Verduzco being gone and demoting long time assistant/good friend Bill Salmon we might start seeing a new page in the UNI story. Now it's is the next chapter a happy story or a version of Saw with all kinds of demented endings to games

I've just never actually been excited for a UNI season in February like this.

I was amazed at the------------lack of good play calling by your OC. Talk about a total waste of talent that you guys had.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 8th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Didn't expect this from UNI. A lot of growing pains this fall I anticipate with this new system. Meat grinder schedule to start the season will test this new philosophy big time.

clenz
February 8th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Didn't expect this from UNI. A lot of growing pains this fall I anticipate with this new system. Meat grinder schedule to start the season will test this new philosophy big time.
I knew a change was coming but this is a lot bigger than I think most expected.

REALBird
February 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I thought the same too.

How does the clearinghouse say he's eligible, he ends up signing with UNI, but ISUr said he wasn't a qualifier?
Both UNI and ISUr have very similar acceptance rates.

He looks to be a redshirt. The starter this year is either Sawyer or the JUCO kid that signed with CCU out of HS - Dalton Demos

I'm not a mouthpiece for the University, but I've seen in the past where kids were "admitted" to Illinois State, but ultimately the question was whether they could perform in the classroom. A few years back, and it's been a while I was approached by a coach at the University who wanted to take a flyer on a kid in one of the Olympic sports. They did indeed "qualify" and meet the needs of the NCAA clearinghouse, but Illinois State had questions about the students ability to keep up with the academics, as well as having a support system for this player since they were coming from California. This was long before we recruited in places like California, so it wasn't just a "can the kid get in", it was also about "can the kid stay eligible", and "can we provide a support system when the kid gets home sick". As it was explained to myself, "This is the type of kid we've never gone after at Illinois State, because we weren't sure they could succeed in the classroom.". That student-athlete was very successful inside and outside the classroom.

Granted Chicago is a lot closer than California, but the Chicago Public League isn't exactly putting out many Rhodes Scholars these days. Key points were he cleared the NCAA Clearninghouse....it did not say he met the requirement of admission set by Illinois State.

Would have loved to see him at ISUr, but it sounds like he rebounded nicely at UNI.

OSBF
February 11th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I'm not a mouthpiece for the University, but I've seen in the past where kids were "admitted" to Illinois State, but ultimately the question was whether they could perform in the classroom. A few years back, and it's been a while I was approached by a coach at the University who wanted to take a flyer on a kid in one of the Olympic sports. They did indeed "qualify" and meet the needs of the NCAA clearinghouse, but Illinois State had questions about the students ability to keep up with the academics, as well as having a support system for this player since they were coming from California. This was long before we recruited in places like California, so it wasn't just a "can the kid get in", it was also about "can the kid stay eligible", and "can we provide a support system when the kid gets home sick". As it was explained to myself, "This is the type of kid we've never gone after at Illinois State, because we weren't sure they could succeed in the classroom.". That student-athlete was very successful inside and outside the classroom.

Granted Chicago is a lot closer than California, but the Chicago Public League isn't exactly putting out many Rhodes Scholars these days. Key points were he cleared the NCAA Clearninghouse....it did not say he met the requirement of admission set by Illinois State.

Would have loved to see him at ISUr, but it sounds like he rebounded nicely at UNI.

Let's not be delusional here, ILS isn't the same thing as Yale, Harvard, or even BU.

Our admission standards = NCAA(for athletes, not a normal old regular student)

If a kid gets the go from the clearinghouse ILS will gladly say Come On Down You're A Redbird

Truth be told we have quite a few of those 2nd(3rd,4th,5th) chance folks that would have a tough time getting a 2nd looksee just about anyplace else

NoDak 4 Ever
February 11th, 2015, 02:03 PM

John Crockett needed a year to get his academics in order. I don't think we're looking for scholars on our teams which is why we give awards for good academics.

clenz
February 11th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Let's not be delusional here, ILS isn't the same thing as Yale, Harvard, or even BU.

Our admission standards = NCAA(for athletes, not a normal old regular student)

If a kid gets the go from the clearinghouse ILS will gladly say Come On Down You're A Redbird

Truth be told we have quite a few of those 2nd(3rd,4th,5th) chance folks that would have a tough time getting a 2nd looksee just about anyplace else
Yeah.

Let's not pretend ISUr is any more difficult than UNI...that's just asinine

UNI football carries a team GPA of something like 2.9-3.2, or somewhere in there. While not record breaking GPAs it's not like UNI is taking fliers on kids that are dumber than a box of rocks.