PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Rivalry in the South

DTSpider
November 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Tomorrow UR (5-5) & W&M (3-7) come limping into the Oldest Rivalry in the South. Both teams were optimistic in summer camp and had higher aspirations for this season. However, it should still be a great game with two solid programs.

Both teams have injury problems and a lot of youth on offense. I'm hopeful that UR can bounce back and finish out the year strong. I know that both schools will view this as a salvaged season with a closing W.

Nothing else had been mentioned, so I just wanted to add this thread. Any thoughts from the A10 crowd?

Dabnus Brickey
November 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Didn't Richmond win a big one this year over someone?

CopperCat
November 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM
How old is the rivalry?

bustingnut
November 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Virginia is no longer the South. You can't even get sweet tea everywhere anymore.

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
116th meeting between W&M and Richmond. Tribe leads 59-51-5.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Virginia is no longer the South. You can't even get sweet tea everywhere anymore.

Stupid Northern Virginia...

griz&beer
November 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I love sweat tea. You think it is hard to get in Virgina! Try MT. lol

JMU2004
November 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Everything south of Fredericksburg is STILL VERY MUCH the South.....Northern Virginia need to get the #$@! out.

Wmbgskip
November 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
The thing I always loved about Virginia is that it holds on to some things like Southern hospitality and the gentleman ideal, but typically is among the most forward-thinking states.

It's rather funny...in states north of Virginia, we get lumped into "the South". In states south of Virginia, we're "those bastard sumbitches who sold us out to the Yankees."

--Skip

BDKJMU
November 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Stupid Northern Virginia...

Ditto

BDKJMU
November 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Everything south of Fredericksburg is STILL VERY MUCH the South.....Northern Virginia need to get the #$@! out.

Grew up in Fredericksburg-you're about right there. Nut much rural and southern within 50-60 miles of DC.

Retro
November 17th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I consider Richmond more of the OLD SOUTH.... Now these days, when you talk south or Deep south, your talking South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Missisippi and Louisiana, maybe arkansas....
Virginia was part of the confederacy, but over the last 100 hundred years those border states have become more northern like than southern.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I love sweat tea. You think it is hard to get in Virgina!

I would imagine that would taste incredibly bad...

bustingnut
November 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I would imagine that would taste incredibly bad...

Not to the Griz, theyre that tough.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Tomorrow UR (5-5) & W&M (3-7) come limping into the Oldest Rivalry in the South. Both teams were optimistic in summer camp and had higher aspirations for this season. However, it should still be a great game with two solid programs.

Both teams have injury problems and a lot of youth on offense. I'm hopeful that UR can bounce back and finish out the year strong. I know that both schools will view this as a salvaged season with a closing W.

Nothing else had been mentioned, so I just wanted to add this thread. Any thoughts from the A10 crowd?
I think the Tribe will take this one....close one though......

hawkineer
November 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Sounds like seccession again. Will you never learn!: smh : : smh :

http://www.militaryartgallery.com/Images_b/b_confederate_infantryman_19th_virginia.jpg

BEAR
November 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I consider Richmond more of the OLD SOUTH.... Now these days, when you talk south or Deep south, your talking South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Missisippi and Louisiana, maybe arkansas....
Virginia was part of the confederacy, but over the last 100 hundred years those border states have become more northern like than southern.

Maybe Arkansas....I can tell you have never lived here....I'm from Maine and the culture shock is beyond the human ability to bear...Yeah, Arkies are indeed Southerners...xlolx ..The south is a way of life, not a designation on a map...or so I have learned...:smiley_wi

Death Dealer
November 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM
116th meeting between W&M and Richmond. Tribe leads 59-51-5.
Technically you have the longest running rivalry, but FU-Wofford is the oldest....117 years of hating one another. First game in 1889.

DirtyDukes
November 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM

This is the most true statement ever made on AGS.

grayghost06
November 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Everything south of Fredericksburg is STILL VERY MUCH the South.....Northern Virginia need to get the #$@! out....Well you might be right, but if they left...there goes the tax base!

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2006, 06:09 AM
...Well you might be right, but if they left...there goes the tax base!

And there goes a bunch on the expense side, as well!