PDA

View Full Version : end of modern FBS closer than we think?

catamount man
February 3rd, 2015, 01:34 PM
Some good for thought and if this happens, you can hang up FCS vs POWER 5 for all time. Enjoy. GO CATS!

http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/02/why-unc-wake-forest-non-acc-game-means-end-fbs-is-upon-us/

Silenoz
February 3rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
Big Sky already does this crap, though in that case out of necessity as opposed to avoiding DII games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 4th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Hey look, another sports writer looking in tea leaves for a sign of end times in college football. We basically went through the same discussion with all the chatter of a new to rule to bar P5s from scheduling G5s and FCS teams (which won't happen).

All this is is 2 geographically close teams with a long history scheduling playing a game. How does it follow that the conference as we not it now is obsolete?

Daytripper
February 4th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Sooner or later the dregs of the FBS will combine with the cream of the FCS to create their own division. This is inevitable, as the P5 can basically dictate their own rules and budgets. They will set up scholarship (full cost) programs that less wealthy programs cannot match. The only thing left for the FBS leftovers is to take care of their own. I believe there is enough support for a combined lower division (below the P5) that is set up with geographic logic. While it won't ever be as lucrative as the P5, it could negotiate its own television deals on a regional basis and bid the playoffs as a way to create revenue to all programs.

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 4th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Sooner or later the dregs of the FBS will combine with the cream of the FCS to create their own division. This is inevitable, as the P5 can basically dictate their own rules and budgets. They will set up scholarship (full cost) programs that less wealthy programs cannot match. The only thing left for the FBS leftovers is to take care of their own. I believe there is enough support for a combined lower division (below the P5) that is set up with geographic logic. While it won't ever be as lucrative as the P5, it could negotiate its own television deals on a regional basis and bid the playoffs as a way to create revenue to all programs.
I agree. I see this happening within the next 2 or 3 years.

Tealblood
February 7th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I think part of where this gets interesting is do the P5 drag along the "dregs" of the P5- the wake forests, the Kansas's, the Vandys and even the Dukes of the world although what some of them do to the bottom line inregerds to income via March madness just about dwarfs what the biggies do in football

GABison
February 7th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Do you guys see all the P5 divisions expanding to 16 teams each?

catamount man
February 7th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Indeed I do and when that happens, I hope all the P5 teams play an all P5 schedule. If they want "big boy" football then by-God let them fall on their sword. And when Clemson goes 6-6 every year vs big boy teams, I cannot wait to see the half empty seats in 85,000 capacity death valley. It will be worth it to see them crumble under their own greed. Not just Clemson, but all power 5 teams. (I use Clemson as my example considering I live 12 miles from CU.)

GABison
February 7th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Seems to me the P5 would be doing FCS a favor by plucking a few of the higher attendance/quality P5 teams. I think the remaining G5 teams would than more closely align with the top tier of the FCS.

frozennorth
February 7th, 2015, 06:54 PM

No. There aren't enough teams left to cannibalize. Who is else out there? Byu, and what, cincy, uconn, houston, ucf? Realignment is over.

I think Big, acc, and sec fans all more or less regret going past 12.

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 7th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Yes, but I see it going to four conferences.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 7th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I agree. I see this happening within the next 2 or 3 years.

There is no chance it happens that quickly. They have a good chunk of money (G5) that they won't be giving up that is tied to the bowl system I think. Even if there was no blocks like that this stuff moves a lot slower than that.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2015, 09:12 PM
It won't go to four superconferences because the five conference commissioners are not willing to give up their ivory backscratchers to make it happen.

Also, lost in all this is the idea that the G5 will be forced by anyone to do anything. If the G5 wants to spend mountains of treasure trying to hopelessly try to break into the plus-one playoff, I seriously doubt the P5 will prevent them from trying.

Bisonoline
February 7th, 2015, 09:23 PM
There is no chance it happens that quickly. They have a good chunk of money (G5) that they won't be giving up that is tied to the bowl system I think. Even if there was no blocks like that this stuff moves a lot slower than that.

They are currently working behind the scenes to figure out how to keep the pay days coming. Plus they know they have placated the masses with this pseudo playoff they have bought themselves some time. 5 years is my guess. Look how long the other bad BCS and whatever the other thing they had lasted.
The only thing I can think of that will facilitate any new movement is the new stipend rules.

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 7th, 2015, 09:54 PM
The MVFC commissioner said she thinks it will be in 2 or 3 years, and that was last fall. Maybe she is wrong, but I would think she has some idea what is going on.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 7th, 2015, 11:26 PM
The MVFC commissioner said she thinks it will be in 2 or 3 years, and that was last fall. Maybe she is wrong, but I would think she has some idea what is going on.

When a woman gives you a time frame multiply it by 4. "She'll be ready in 15 minutes", that's saying we'll leave in an hour.....

This is a ways off....

GABison
February 8th, 2015, 06:17 AM

Do you have some kind of link to where she was talking about this? What bothers me about Patty V. Is how quiet she is on this matter. The most you hear from her is that the college football llandscape is changing and we are trying to stay on top of it.xeyebrowx

No_Skill
February 8th, 2015, 08:55 AM

What if "the split" happens so gradually that we don't even notice it? It seems like everyone is expecting this one big event that will definitively form new levels of DI football. I don't think it will happen that way at all. I have a feeling it will be small changes over a long period of time and years from now we'll all look back and wonder how we missed it.

WTFCollegefootballfan
February 8th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Do you have some kind of link to where she was talking about this? What bothers me about Patty V. Is how quiet she is on this matter. The most you hear from her is that the college football llandscape is changing and we are trying to stay on top of it.xeyebrowx
The MVFC last 2 state of conference addresses at the beginning of the season. It was even in the Forum I think. I don't have a link. She gave a warning about the P5 setting there own rules 2 years ago, then it happened. She has been saying for 2 years the P5 will split off and then the lower FBS schools and upper FCS schools will be the own division. Am I the only one that listens to her state of the conference addresses?

GABison
February 8th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Probably. I am surprised that Elgin of the MVC lets her give one.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM

I think Patty is probably massively underestimating how hard the G5 will work to try and make it appear there is separation between them and the top of the FCS (conferences) and if the evolution of this phase was 2 or 3 yrs. then I will bow to her on that one but I think that timeline is extremely unlikely. I just don't see the calamitous event on the horizon in the next couple of years that would motivate G5 schools to start considering a merger or whatever you'd want to call it.

She knows way more than I but she may be reading some things in a way that are a bit fast tracked to how things normally proceed. I agree with her and you as to where it's going but 2 or 3 yrs. seems like a very truncated timeline.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM
What if "the split" happens so gradually that we don't even notice it? It seems like everyone is expecting this one big event that will definitively form new levels of DI football. I don't think it will happen that way at all. I have a feeling it will be small changes over a long period of time and years from now we'll all look back and wonder how we missed it.

I think you are right on the money except for one thing I have a differing view on. The small changes will occur and some will affect G5 more than FCS and other small changes will have the reverse effect. This is why it will take time (at least 10 yrs. I'd think) and at some point the one thing that will signify the major shift is when G5 starts thinking about needing something to generate post season money like the current bowl arrangement does for conferences. It's a long way off but when the next deal comes around I have a feeling P5 will have moved far enough away from G5's that G5's won't be getting much money on th backs of the P5 as they are now getting. The welfare ride is gonna get bumpier for G5's in that regard.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 8th, 2015, 03:14 PM
The MVFC last 2 state of conference addresses at the beginning of the season. It was even in the Forum I think. I don't have a link. She gave a warning about the P5 setting there own rules 2 years ago, then it happened. She has been saying for 2 years the P5 will split off and then the lower FBS schools and upper FCS schools will be the own division. Am I the only one that listens to her state of the conference addresses?

Well, she has a very, very simplistic view of what's going on then I think. Fullerton (BSC Commish) is probably a better source for this sort of information/speculation as far as details go. The guy is pretty damn good, thoughful, and honest about where things are right now.

clenz
February 8th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Well, she has a very, very simplistic view of what's going on then I think. Fullerton (BSC Commish) is probably a better source for this sort of information/speculation as far as details go. The guy is pretty damn good, thoughful, and honest about where things are right now.
No one respects Patty V within the MVC or MVFC offices.

UNI AD Troy Dannen and Big Sky Commish Fullerton are much more in tune to anything related to this

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk