PDA

View Full Version : 11/12/16: Fordham-Holy Cross At Yankee Stadium

DFW HOYA
January 28th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Good for them, but can they sell the tickets?

https://twitter.com/GoHolyCross/status/560566157129052162/photo/1

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 28th, 2015, 07:25 PM
I saw that this was in the works. I think this game will draw reasonably well, 20-25k. I highly doubt the event staff at Yankee Stadium believes Patriot League football draws 40k+ on the reg....

A Fordham-Army game would have been more enticing....

Catsfan90
January 28th, 2015, 07:39 PM
This might be worth making a trip for. Seems like a good idea, wasn't the Lehigh Lafayette game played in Yankee stadium?

citdog
January 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM
This might be worth making a trip for. Seems like a good idea, wasn't the Lehigh Lafayette game played in Yankee stadium?

perhaps there should be a 113th thread about that meaningless game between two terrible teams.

Catsfan90
January 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM
perhaps there should be a 113th thread about that meaningless game between two terrible teams.
Haha shows how much I followed that game to begin with lol.

PAllen
January 28th, 2015, 11:56 PM

Nah, the sooner we forget about that debacle, the better.

Good for FU and HC. Agree though, Fordham-Army would have been a bigger draw. Is this the start of a semi annual PL game at Yankee Stadium?

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 29th, 2015, 12:07 AM
The more I think about it the more I believe this is a gamble. Lehigh vs Lafayette was celebrating a historic event which made the actual game just part of the celebration. LU and LC alums were in NYC for 3-4 days to celebrate the #150.

Fordham vs Holy Cross is literally just a league game at Yankee Stadium. It's not a memorable meeting or number or even the last game of the year. I'll be interested to see what the early ticket sales look like. Lehigh and Lafayette were both "blah" teams and that didn't matter when it came to attendance because the "event" superseded the actual game imo. If HC is 4-4 and Fordham 5-3 will it really draw that much attention? How about if they both have losing records like LU-LC did?

Bad records combined with less than ideal weather and I could easily see 10k.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 29th, 2015, 09:04 AM
The more I think about it the more I believe this is a gamble. Lehigh vs Lafayette was celebrating a historic event which made the actual game just part of the celebration. LU and LC alums were in NYC for 3-4 days to celebrate the #150.

Fordham vs Holy Cross is literally just a league game at Yankee Stadium. It's not a memorable meeting or number or even the last game of the year. I'll be interested to see what the early ticket sales look like. Lehigh and Lafayette were both "blah" teams and that didn't matter when it came to attendance because the "event" superseded the actual game imo. If HC is 4-4 and Fordham 5-3 will it really draw that much attention? How about if they both have losing records like LU-LC did?

Bad records combined with less than ideal weather and I could easily see 10k.

I don't think that will happen because there are more Fordham football fans than you think. They're doing the right things in giving the matchup a lot of lead time. People also tried to sell 150 short for years, but with a long lead time and years to plan an event they drew equal to the Pinstripe Bowl. I'm rooting for them to have similar success.

Lehigh'98
January 29th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Lehigh never played at Yankee Stadium. That was an intramural team they dressed in Brown and White

Franks Tanks
January 29th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Fordham and Holy Cross actually have a history with neutral site games. They played in Ireland and Bermuda in the 90's. Does anyone remember those games?

They should do pretty well with proper marketing...15-20k is reasonable.

jimbo65
January 29th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Fordham and Holy Cross actually have a history with neutral site games. They played in Ireland and Bermuda in the 90's. Does anyone remember those games?

They should do pretty well with proper marketing...15-20k is reasonable.

I agree about the marketing. We need a snappy name to market the game. How about the Jesuit Jihad. Sure to get some coverage with that name.

Franks Tanks
January 29th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I agree about the marketing. We need a snappy name to market the game. How about the Jesuit Jihad. Sure to get some coverage with that name.

Yup. I meant to say that 15-20k at least will show up, and maybe 25-30k if both schools market the crap out of the game.

DFW HOYA
January 29th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Yup. I meant to say that 15-20k at least will show up, and maybe 25-30k if both schools market the crap out of the game.

30,000? This is not a "walk-up" game for the casual college football fan. Nor is it a hotbed of Holy Cross fans--the population of HC alumni in the NYC area is, by their own web site, just 5,000 and not everyone is showing up. If the entire student body bussed down from Worcester it would be impressive, but adds just 2,800 tickets.

The attendance will be driven almost exclusively by Fordham, whose fan base has not always supported football on a regular basis and labors under consistent missteps in the basketball program that has led to one NCAA bid since 1971. Can they rally their fans? I think so, but not in the way Leh/Laf did.

This was a Holy Cross home game in the PL schedules. Is HC responsible for stadium rent and general ticket allocation?

Pard4Life
January 30th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Abolish Fordham Football. :D

Sader87
January 30th, 2015, 10:21 PM
HC alumni may not be many in numbahs but they are historically very loyal....the HC-Army football games in the 70s and 80s were always well attended by the NYC-area HC alumni/fans at the games at West Point. Holy Cross has always had a very strong "tri-state area" presence.

RichH2
January 31st, 2015, 09:43 AM
A fun event for Cross- Fordham fans,regardless of season records. It is their event not a follow up to 150. Hope it turns out well.

Go...gate
January 31st, 2015, 08:13 PM
Abolish Fordham Football. :D

Danny Hatred is back! Can Marky D. Lafayette and Cap'n Cat be far behind?