PDA

View Full Version : NDSU head coach Klieman Accepts Two-Year Contract Extension

dewey
January 26th, 2015, 12:32 PM
NDSU and head football coach Chris Klieman have agreed to a contract extension. I have yet to see any specifics on years and money.

http://gobison.com/news/2015/1/26/FB_0126152204.aspx

Dewey

Missingnumber7
January 26th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Two Years...keeps him in Fargo through 2021.

Professor Chaos
January 26th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I had forgotten how much his original contract was worth until I read the Forum story (http://www.inforum.com/sports/bison/3664394-ndsu-adds-two-years-kliemans-contract-throughout-2021-season). If he already had a base salary of $326K he's gotta be up getting there with Farley at UNI and Ambrose at Towson. They're both in the high 300s in base salary which as far as I recall is about tops in the FCS.

TheKingpin28
January 26th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Why does this extension scare me? I want them to stay but unfortunately the last coach who was going to, well...

walliver
January 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Why does this extension scare me? I want them to stay but unfortunately the last coach who was going to, well...

Generally a contract extension is a prelude to a better job. That's life on the lower end of the food chain.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 26th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Or it's just a contract extension.

Hammersmith
January 26th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Generally a contract extension is a prelude to a better job. That's life on the lower end of the food chain.

I'm pretty sure this extension is less about time and more about money. Maybe I'm wrong(been that a lot lately), but I think last year's contract was a step down from Bohl's moneywise. The idea was that NDSU was going from a proven head coach with over a decade of experience at NDSU to a guy with almost no head coaching experience that had only been at NDSU for a few years. So the first contract was a bit light on money until CK could prove he could carry things on his own. Well, I guess he proved that a bit earlier than most imagined, so now comes the increase in pay to bring him into the top-paid FCS coaches conversation. The extension is just a vehicle to make that happen.

Bisonator
January 26th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Just the new AD saying "You're the man, good job, keep it up!"

344Johnson
January 26th, 2015, 08:53 PM

Getting coaches poached is a great thing for a school like NDSU. How do you draw talent at any organization? Show the opportunity for upward mobility.

Don't want to be a school where coaches careers stagnate.

I'm pretty sure this extension is less about time and more about money. Maybe I'm wrong(been that a lot lately), but I think last year's contract was a step down from Bohl's moneywise. The idea was that NDSU was going from a proven head coach with over a decade of experience at NDSU to a guy with almost no head coaching experience that had only been at NDSU for a few years. So the first contract was a bit light on money until CK could prove he could carry things on his own. Well, I guess he proved that a bit earlier than most imagined, so now comes the increase in pay to bring him into the top-paid FCS coaches conversation. The extension is just a vehicle to make that happen.

I haven't read the much about it, does this change how much NDSU has to pay in the event that he drives the team into the ground?

I seem to recall Notre Dame giving chubby Charlie a nice contact extension his first season under the golden dome and that is a mistake I believe they are still writing checks to him for....

dewey
January 27th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Here is a link to more of the monetary specifics for caoch Klieman.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/bison/3664394-ndsu-extends-head-football-coach-kliemans-contract-through-2020-season

Dewey

Missingnumber7
January 27th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Just the new AD saying "You're the man, good job, keep it up!"

The buyout numbers were interesting to me.

saxbison
January 27th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Getting coaches poached is a great thing for a school like NDSU. How do you draw talent at any organization? Show the opportunity for upward mobility.

Don't want to be a school where coaches careers stagnate.

I haven't read the much about it, does this change how much NDSU has to pay in the event that he drives the team into the ground?

I seem to recall Notre Dame giving chubby Charlie a nice contact extension his first season under the golden dome and that is a mistake I believe they are still writing checks to him for....

Totally agree, but Klieman isn't going anywhere. He's too green for a hire at a top G5 school, and he's not a "sexy" enough hire to please donors at a top P5 school as a coordinator.

344Johnson
January 27th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Totally agree, but Klieman isn't going anywhere. He's too green for a hire at a top G5 school, and he's not a "sexy" enough hire to please donors at a top P5 school as a coordinator.

I can't imagine him going anywhere for a bit either...probably would have to show he can keep the train going without Bohl's players.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 10:45 AM
He's been a FBS assistant at Kansas with Terry Allen. He left that position to go.....back to FCS at Missouri State in the same position, DB coach.

I think this might be one of the rare guys who might just be happy as a big fish in a small pond. Like Mike Ayers or Andy Talley (that's where the comparison stops).

BEAR
January 27th, 2015, 11:31 AM
According to this USATODAY article database, http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ there are at least 120 DI FBS schools that could offer him more than NDSU. Plus if you add on those private donations and other benefits coaches get then it would be reasonable to see him take an offer from, let's say, San Jose State, and increase his salary by a few hundred thousand a year and still carry little risk needing to be a winning coach. I mean he has a natty at NDSU, plus prior FBS experience. Those two things together make him a candidate for at least a lower level FBS school, say a top 120 in salary anyways. Sure he'd be a small fish in a big tank, but his pocketbook would be doubled. xnodx

UCA lost two head volleyball coaches to SEC schools. A couple of basketball coaches to other FBS schools also. We even lost our football coach to a Southland rival because of pay. Which is sad because we are paying the new coach what the old one wanted. I guess success also gets a coach noticed. Sucks for us but our budget doesn't allow to keep a good coach. That's life for many many FCS schools.

I wish the Bison all the luck. Until you play the Bears!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
According to this USATODAY article database, http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ there are at least 120 DI FBS schools that could offer him more than NDSU. Plus if you add on those private donations and other benefits coaches get then it would be reasonable to see him take an offer from, let's say, San Jose State, and increase his salary by a few hundred thousand a year and still carry little risk needing to be a winning coach. I mean he has a natty at NDSU, plus prior FBS experience. Those two things together make him a candidate for at least a lower level FBS school, say a top 120 in salary anyways. Sure he'd be a small fish in a big tank, but his pocketbook would be doubled. xnodx

I wish the Bison all the luck. Until you play the Bears!

His kids go to a great school, he makes north of 300k a year which in Fargo, goes a long way. There are so many intangibles.

344Johnson
January 27th, 2015, 12:02 PM
His kids go to a great school, he makes north of 300k a year which in Fargo, goes a long way. There are so many intangibles.

I'm sure his kids would go to a great school in San Jose or Bowling Green as well. He might have a soft spot for NDSU until he dies, but I'm sure he'd love an opportunity to coach at the FBS level(and be compensated as such).

SUPharmacist
January 27th, 2015, 12:06 PM

I think as others have said he needs some more solid years under his belt to get pulled away. However, your statement is eerily similar to what many said about Bohl. You may be right, and the move down from Kansas you cite may be evidence of the big fish in small pond mentality, but it is way too hard to predict what coaches are thinking these days. Is the longevity clause in his contract fairly common? I would not think it would be a very strong motivator against a big offer, so why include it.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I'm sure his kids would go to a great school in San Jose or Bowling Green as well. He might have a soft spot for NDSU until he dies, but I'm sure he'd love an opportunity to coach at the FBS level(and be compensated as such).

He had it and got out to go to Mo State, then went down further to Loras. Some people just aren't climbers.

thebootfitter
January 27th, 2015, 12:39 PM
He had it and got out to go to Mo State, then went down further to Loras. Some people just aren't climbers.
Did he "get out"? Or was he essentially out of a job? Sure, he was at Kansas with Allen, but would he still have had an FBS job after Allen left?

I don't think it's so much about being a "climber," but rather where he saw the best opportunities to continue his career -- and I would guess that the impact on his family played a role as well.

I'm pretty sure that if somebody were knocking at his door, offering 2 or 3+ times his current compensation level, he'd seriously consider it. If he keeps winning, chances are good that he'll be given that opportunity at some point.

...probably would have to show he can keep the train going without Bohl's players.
You mean Bohl's players that Klieman helped recruit? When a coach is promoted from within, I don't think there's quite the same perception as when a new head coach is hired from the outside. Klieman has been a big part of the Bison system for pretty much the entire career of everyone currently on the roster. He's the one that was able to keep all the recruits even after Bohl's announcement. I don't think there are many reasonable people who will look at Klieman's success and attribute it primarily on inheriting "Bohl's" players.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Did he "get out"? Or was he essentially out of a job? Sure, he was at Kansas with Allen, but would he still have had an FBS job after Allen left?

I don't think it's so much about being a "climber," but rather where he saw the best opportunities to continue his career -- and I would guess that the impact on his family played a role as well.

I'm pretty sure that if somebody were knocking at his door, offering 2 or 3+ times his current compensation level, he'd seriously consider it. If he keeps winning, chances are good that he'll be given that opportunity at some point.

You mean Bohl's players that Klieman helped recruit? When a coach is promoted from within, I don't think there's quite the same perception as when a new head coach is hired from the outside. Klieman has been a big part of the Bison system for pretty much the entire career of everyone currently on the roster. He's the one that was able to keep all the recruits even after Bohl's announcement. I don't think there are many reasonable people who will look at Klieman's success and attribute it primarily on inheriting "Bohl's" players.

His only year at Kansas was moderately successful, relatively speaking. It was Allen's first year so there was no reason to believe that his job was in jeopardy. He considers Allen to be his professional mentor. This is all purely speculation, of course.

344Johnson
January 27th, 2015, 01:23 PM

I think they look at it even moreso if you are promoted from within. You can, in theory, just keep doing things the same in the short term with the guys your old boss got. I think it is fair enough to give Klieman his share of credit with the success of the team the past few years, but if you inherit a championship quality team and win a title, people are going to want to see what happens once your the head coach for a larger sample size.

clenz
January 27th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Man...

Almost all of these comments were almost identical to things said about Bohl in the days leading up to him leaving NDSU.

Don't, for a second, think he (or any coach) won't jump at a decent job anywhere in the country if it's "good for them"

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Man...

Almost all of these comments were almost identical to things said about Bohl in the days leading up to him leaving NDSU.

Don't, for a second, think he (or any coach) won't jump at a decent job anywhere in the country if it's "good for them"

Bohl is different. He grew up in the Nebraska program. His dream is to be that.

Klieman is now the highest paid coach in the MVFC, he has some of the highest paid assistants and a great support structure.

clenz
January 27th, 2015, 01:45 PM

Klieman is now the highest paid coach in the MVFC, he has some of the highest paid assistants and a great support structure.
Keep thinking that.

We'll get to watch the same epic meltdown of wishing him nothing but failure, physical harm, and calling him a traitor and all sorts of nasty names like we got to watch last year when Bohl left

GABison
January 27th, 2015, 01:53 PM

Klieman, being an Iowa native, probably wouldn't have to think too hard if he was ever offered an Iowa job like ISU or Iowa, for what 5 times the money?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Keep thinking that.

We'll get to watch the same epic meltdown of wishing him nothing but failure, physical harm, and calling him a traitor and all sorts of nasty names like we got to watch last year when Bohl left

Keep thinking that NDSU will finally come down and that your era of dominance isn't over.

Tell me, what keeps Farley at UNI? Surely there have to have been opportunities after the successful seasons.

BisonFan02
January 27th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Going to put this together for everyone....take it for what its worth I guess:

NDSU HC post "Mudra" era (Bison fans will note that this is around the time NDSU rededicated itself towards football and athletics in general with Teammakers, etc.)

Darrell Mudra - 3 seasons and 1 national championship (1963-65) W/L of 24-6 - Left NDSU for CFL/Montreal Alouettes HC job
Ron Erhardt - 7 seasons and 2 national championships (1966-72) W/L of 61-7-1 - Left NDSU for NFL/New England Patriots backfield coach (ended up as HC). Won Super Bowl with Giants as a OC under Parcells.
Ev Kjelbertson - 3 seasons (1973-75) W/L of 17-13 - Let go after '75 season
Jim Wacker - 3 seasons (1976-78) W/L of 24-9-1 - Left NDSU for SW Texas State (now just Texas State, led them to two championships in 81/82...once against NDSU)
Don Morton - 6 seasons and 1 national championship (1979-84) W/L of 57-15 - Left NDSU for Tulsa HC job
Earle Solomonson - 2 seasons and 2 national championships (1985-86) W/L of 24-2-1 - Left NDSU for Montana St. HC job
Rocky Hager - 10 seasons and 2 national championships (1987-96) W/L of 91-25-1 - Let go after '96 season (landed at Temple as an assistant)
Bob Babich - 6 seasons (1997-02) W/L of 46-22 - Let go after '02 season (landed at NFL/Rams as LB coach, now DC on the Jaguars under former NDSU DC Bradley)
Craig Bohl - 11 seasons and 3 national championships (2003-13) W/L of 104-32 - Left NDSU for Wyoming HC job.
Chris Klieman - 1 season and 1 national championship (2014) W/L of 15-1 - TBD

I know NDSU and Kjelbertson parted ways peacefully....Hager and Babich are interesting and can be debated till everyone is blue in their faces. The point of the post...look at the # of seasons, coaching succession, and where each coach went....

NoDak 4 Ever
January 27th, 2015, 02:10 PM

NDSU HC post "Mudra" era (Bison fans will note that this is around the time NDSU rededicated itself towards football and athletics in general with Teammakers, etc.)

Darrell Mudra - 3 seasons and 1 national championship (1963-65) W/L of 24-6 - Left NDSU for CFL/Montreal Alouettes HC job
Ron Erhardt - 7 seasons and 2 national championships (1966-72) W/L of 61-7-1 - Left NDSU for NFL/New England Patriots backfield coach (ended up as HC). Won Super Bowl with Giants as a OC under Parcells.
Jim Wacker - 3 seasons (1976-78) W/L of 24-9-1 - Left NDSU for SW Texas State (now just Texas State, led them to two championships in 81/82...once against NDSU)
Don Morton - 6 seasons and 1 national championship (1979-84) W/L of 57-15 - Left NDSU for Tulsa HC job
Earle Solomonson - 2 seasons and 2 national championships (1985-86) W/L of 24-2-1 - Left NDSU for Montana St. HC job
Rocky Hager - 10 seasons and 2 national championships (1987-96) W/L of 91-25-1 - Let go after '96 season (landed at Temple as an assistant)
Bob Babich - 6 seasons (1997-02) W/L of 46-22 - Let go after '02 season (landed at NFL/Rams as LB coach, now DC on the Jaguars under former NDSU DC Bradley)
Craig Bohl - 11 seasons and 3 national championships (2003-13) W/L of 104-32 - Left NDSU for Wyoming HC job.

I know NDSU and Kjelbertson parted ways peacefully....Hager and Babich are interesting and can be debated till everyone is blue in their faces. The point of the post...look at the # of seasons, coaching succession, and where each coach went....

If Charlie Stock is to be believed, Rocky would have been a lifer if it weren't for his circumstances.

BisonFan02
January 27th, 2015, 02:14 PM
If Charlie Stock is to be believed, Rocky would have been a lifer if it weren't for his circumstances.

Agree....hence the comments about both Hager and Babich about being "let go".....the Hager/AD relationship and the Babich "buy out" or the..."hey, wink wink...you should go find something better to do". Its the ND way! xlolx

Professor Chaos
January 27th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Don't forget that Klieman left his alma mater UNI to take the DB coach position at NDSU. He was "co-defensive coordinator" and DB coach at UNI but from what I've heard Farley pretty much drives the defense himself so maybe that's part of the reason why Klieman left. In any case, he's shown in the past that he's willing to look elsewhere if the opportunity presents itself and it likely will again in the not too distant future.

95% of coaches at this level are mercenaries. Klieman may be in that 5% but I wouldn't bet much on it. I think he'll be plucked up same as Bohl if this level of success (or something close to it) is maintained. Having said that the head football coach at NDSU is a very attractive job for the other 95% of coaches out there who are always looking for a better opportunity.

clenz
January 27th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Don't forget that Klieman left his alma mater UNI to take the DB coach position at NDSU. He was "co-defensive coordinator" and DB coach at UNI but from what I've heard Farley pretty much drives the defense himself so maybe that's part of the reason why Klieman left.

That was 99.99999999% of it.

That's not the case with Farley anymore,as he has let Paul and Johnson take control but was the first year in his tenure that was the case. It's a large part of why turnover on UNIs D staff was always so high but the defense was always so good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
January 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Another thing you should add to this is how those coaches have fared since leaving NDSU for "greener pastures". Not very many had the same kind of success elsewhere.

Twentysix
January 27th, 2015, 07:25 PM
I think as others have said he needs some more solid years under his belt to get pulled away. However, your statement is eerily similar to what many said about Bohl. You may be right, and the move down from Kansas you cite may be evidence of the big fish in small pond mentality, but it is way too hard to predict what coaches are thinking these days. Is the longevity clause in his contract fairly common? I would not think it would be a very strong motivator against a big offer, so why include it.

Longevity clauses are really common.

344Johnson
January 27th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Another thing you should add to this is how those coaches have fared since leaving NDSU for "greener pastures". Not very many had the same kind of success elsewhere.

Babich certainly has done well for himself. So did Erhardt.

Most of those names are D2 coaches who got to coach D1, sounds like something pretty much any coach with big aspirations is going to be interested in.

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2015, 08:56 PM

Ev Kjelbertson was let go during the 75 season. He is also credited with being ONE of the 3 losing seasons in 50 years. He also never coached again. Thank goodness.

dewey
January 27th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Man...

I won't lie I thought with Bohl's kid playing in Moorhead, his wife's family in town, him being a legend at NDSU and a good salary for for a man in his 50's he would stay in Fargo but the lure of the challenge or the money changed his mind. I can't fault him for moving for either reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if Klienman has a few good/great years and moves into a bigger paying/challenge job. The challenge to see how far a coach can make it or even the financial means to take care of his family and even possibly his children for their life is hard to say no to.

Sure I would love to see him stay for the rest of his career but as Clenz mentioned those instances are few and far between. Plus if he moves onto a bigger challenge/money job then that means the success at NDSU has continued.

Dewey

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2015, 08:11 AM
I won't lie I thought with Bohl's kid playing in Moorhead, his wife's family in town, him being a legend at NDSU and a good salary for for a man in his 50's he would stay in Fargo but the lure of the challenge or the money changed his mind. I can't fault him for moving for either reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if Klienman has a few good/great years and moves into a bigger paying/challenge job. The challenge to see how far a coach can make it or even the financial means to take care of his family and even possibly his children for their life is hard to say no to.

Sure I would love to see him stay for the rest of his career but as Clenz mentioned those instances are few and far between. Plus if he moves onto a bigger challenge/money job then that means the success at NDSU has continued.

Dewey

His intentions are clear with the buyout. He will be gone when he gets an offer he likes.

dewey
January 28th, 2015, 09:39 AM
His intentions are clear with the buyout. He will be gone when he gets an offer he likes.

Possibly and I would not fault him for taking a bigger challenge and/or more money.

Dewey

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2015, 10:41 AM

WOW thats pretty open ended dont you think? LOL Bohl would still be at NDSU if WY wouldnt have dropped a mill and a private jet at his disposal.

clenz
January 28th, 2015, 11:15 AM
WOW thats pretty open ended dont you think? LOL Bohl would still be at NDSU if WY wouldnt have dropped a mill and a private jet at his disposal.
It is open ended, but many NDSU fans act like their coaches (Bohl and now K) are different and would/will never leave.

Someone said that 95% of coaches aren't like that. The true number is about 99.99999329999999%

Hell, as a UNI fan I wouldn't for a second assume Farley wouldn't take another job. Farley was an All American/team captain at UNI. Is known at UNI as the "Walk on from Waukon". Was a GA here, an assistant here, been a head coach here for 14 seasons, winning-est coach in UNI and MVFC history, served as the AD for about 6 months, and has 2 sons that play for him. It's been 31.5 years since he enrolled at UNI as a freshman and he's been here for 27 of them (brief 4 year stint from 1997-2000 at Kansas with TA). I don't, even for a second, think he wouldn't leave UNI for the right job.

Speaking of TA...

Played QB at UNI 1975-1978
GA at UNI 1979
Assistant at UNI 1980-1988
Head Coach at UNI 1989-1996
Second winning-est coach in UNI and MVFC history
Then went to Kansas, then in-state rival Iowa State, then MVFC rival Missouri State

Insert jokes about leaving UNI and blah blah blah.

All I'm saying is don't ever get too comfortable/attatched with a coach and assume he'll never leave

NoDak 4 Ever
January 28th, 2015, 11:18 AM
It is open ended, but many NDSU fans act like their coaches (Bohl and now K) are different and would/will never leave.

Someone said that 95% of coaches aren't like that. The true number is about 99.99999329999999%

Hell, as a UNI fan I wouldn't for a second assume Farley wouldn't take another job. Farley was an All American/team captain at UNI. Is known at UNI as the "Walk on from Waukon". Was a GA here, an assistant here, been a head coach here for 14 seasons, winning-est coach in UNI and MVFC history, served as the AD for about 6 months, and has 2 sons that play for him. It's been 31.5 years since he enrolled at UNI as a freshman and he's been here for 27 of them (brief 4 year stint from 1997-2000 at Kansas with TA). I don't, even for a second, think he wouldn't leave UNI for the right job.

Speaking of TA...

GA at UNI 1979
Then went to Kansas, then in-state rival Iowa State, then MVFC rival Missouri State

All I'm saying is don't ever get too comfortable/attatched with a coach and assume he'll never leave

By the same token, don't go all chicken little because he signed a contract extension.

clenz
January 28th, 2015, 11:19 AM
By the same token, don't go all chicken little because he signed a contract extension.
who went chicken little?

BisonFan02
January 28th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I want coaches that are good enough to get poached by bigger programs...12 national championships under 7 different coaches. Having coaches for 10-15 plus years without winning the "big one" probably wouldn't fly at NDSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 28th, 2015, 11:32 AM
who went chicken little?

basically from post 4 on.

IBleedYellow
January 28th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Man, the ones that say "Klieman will for sure never leave because...blank" are in for some hurt when he indeed leaves. It's the nature of the beast, especially if we want to continue down a road to success. If NDSU continues to flourish with coaches that end up going elsewhere 1) That's business as usual, just like BF02 said. 2) Good for the health of the program. You WANT coaches that want to get better every year, and to succeed in life and on the football game. If Coach K gets complacent it wouldn't take long to have a bad or possibly even losing season. The matter of fact is NDSU can't pay coaches in the millions, even for our heavy hitting sport of football right now.

NDSU losing coaches isn't a bad thing, it's who they are replaced with that can be bad.

IBleedYellow
January 28th, 2015, 03:59 PM
I want coaches that are good enough to get poached by bigger programs...12 national championships under 7 different coaches. Having coaches for 10-15 plus years without winning the "big one" probably wouldn't fly at NDSU.

This here. I never want to see a coach get fired from NDSU. I want all of our coaches to be poached, because that means we were in a good situation and that coach was flourishing when he left.

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2015, 05:27 PM

Speaking of TA...

GA at UNI 1979

It amazes my how some of our fans just cant think in a rational manor. This guy has been head coach for ONE feaking year and they start analyzing whether he will leave for another job after they extend his contract. Extended contracts are nothing more than window dressing in this day and age. I will say that CK is a more down to earth type of midwestern guy. Family means a lot to him and thats not a cliche. But I havent even thought of him leaving until some brought it up. Geeez.

chattownmocs
January 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM
The analyzing of his intentions Is correct. Look at the buyout. He left money on the table for a buyout that small. You are the one who needs to learn how to think in a rational manner.

citdog
January 28th, 2015, 08:13 PM
You are the one who needs to learn how to think in a rational manner.

Comic Gold

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2015, 10:23 PM
The analyzing of his intentions Is correct. Look at the buyout. He left money on the table for a buyout that small. You are the one who needs to learn how to think in a rational manner.

You using the words rational and thinking in the same sentence is precious.

Bisonator
January 29th, 2015, 08:14 AM

Yeah, I'm sure a million dollar buyout would deter FBS schools. xrolleyesx

chattownmocs
January 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm sure a million dollar buyout would deter FBS schools. xrolleyesx

The schools in line to hire an FCS coach? Yes it certainly would.

BEAR
January 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
F-or
C-hance
S-omewhere else.

:Dxlolx

saxbison
January 29th, 2015, 01:59 PM
It amazes my how some of our fans just cant think in a rational manor. This guy has been head coach for ONE feaking year and they start analyzing whether he will leave for another job after they extend his contract. Extended contracts are nothing more than window dressing in this day and age. I will say that CK is a more down to earth type of midwestern guy. Family means a lot to him and thats not a cliche. But I havent even thought of him leaving until some brought it up. Geeez.

I think he's here for at least 3 more years. He could win another title in that time, and he would still have the "knock" on him that he is winning using Bohl's recruits. He needs to show he can produce using his recruits before an enticing offer comes his way.

FargoBison
January 29th, 2015, 02:58 PM
He will leave when he feels he has a better opportunity somewhere else, who knows when that will happen. Bohl was at NDSU for a decade and had a number of contract extensions and other job offers that he turned down. The only reason people were mad about him leaving was because of the manner in how he left. Some mistakes were made and his timing was horrible.

Klieman might coach at NDSU for a decade or one more year, who knows. Not every school higher up will hire an FCS coach and some jobs will not interest Klieman because some places in the FBS you just can't win at.

AmsterBison
January 30th, 2015, 09:59 AM
F-or
C-hance
S-omewhere else.

:Dxlolx

If my numbers are right, coaching staffs turnover slightly faster in the FBS than the FCS (around 6% more quickly.)

Regardless of subdivision, the average tenure of a DI coach at a particular school is around 5 years. Therefore, it's very unlikely that many kids in this year's signing class will have the same coaching staff throughout their college career.

BisonBacker
January 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM

This has to be the quote of the year and that's saying something since we aren't even done with the first month of the year. Way to funny considering the source xlolx

dewey
January 30th, 2015, 03:11 PM
He could win another title in that time, and he would still have the "knock" on him that he is winning using Bohl's recruits. He needs to show he can produce using his recruits before an enticing offer comes his way.

I could understand the knock if he wasn't on the staff the last few years. I would imagine that he did a LOT of the recruiting the last few years as the DB coach in 2011 and then the DC in 2012 and 2013 especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Dewey