PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Adams transferring?

Pages : [1] 2

Sammy94
January 21st, 2015, 12:39 PM
Wait...what?

http://fishduck.com/2015/01/ewu-qb-vernon-adams-transferring-to-oregon-huge-risk-or-huge-reward-for-ducks/

DP_ASU
January 21st, 2015, 01:08 PM
See: Russell Wilson

Player can come in and make an impact. I'm sure it would only help his stock if he does make noise.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2015, 01:14 PM
I don't see anywhere in there that Oregon has actually contacted him.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2015, 01:18 PM
When does football season start?

Seriously, won't Oregon already have a starting QB in September, 2016, which is the earliest he could consider playing? For one year of eligibility?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2015, 01:19 PM
When does football season start?

Seriously, won't Oregon already have a starting QB in September, 2016, which is the earliest he could consider playing? For one year of eligibility?

If he graduates, I believe he can transfer immediately.

Wallace
January 21st, 2015, 01:23 PM
that's right

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2015, 01:25 PM
OK, now the rumor makes a lot more sense.

FormerPokeCenter
January 21st, 2015, 01:53 PM
One of Texas State's starters did this a few years ago and transferred to OU....

He was sort of a utility player, if memory serves me correctly, who lined up at both WR and QB....

OU needed a QB, so he saw an opportunity, but in the end, played sparingly as a WR for OU...which had been his life-long favorite team...

http://newsok.com/ex-texas-prep-star-finally-lands-at-ou/article/3056629

lionsrking2
January 21st, 2015, 01:55 PM
One of Texas State's starters did this a few years ago and transferred to OU....

He was sort of a utility player, if memory serves me correctly, who lined up at both WR and QB....

OU needed a QB, so he saw an opportunity, but in the end, played sparingly as a WR for OU...which had been his life-long favorite team...

Was that Chase Wasson?

FormerPokeCenter
January 21st, 2015, 02:00 PM
Yep...

AmsterBison
January 21st, 2015, 02:27 PM
You'd think that going into Oregon with no spring ball would make it very difficult to become a starter.

Anyway, this thread makes me wonder how long it will be before the P5 eliminates the 1-year wait for transfers moving up?

ST_Lawson
January 21st, 2015, 03:28 PM

Our placekicker from a couple of years ago did this:
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-add-walk-on-kicker/article_1776d2ee-7d83-5df6-b161-90beb9b26362.html
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=208592560

Local kid, played 3 years at Western, graduated and transferred to play his final year (and get a MBA) at Nebraska.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
Our placekicker from a couple of years ago did this:
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-add-walk-on-kicker/article_1776d2ee-7d83-5df6-b161-90beb9b26362.html
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=208592560

Local kid, played 3 years at Western, graduated and transferred to play his final year (and get a MBA) at Nebraska.

It was a lateral move, divisionally, but Andre Martin played at UNI, graduated and transferred to NDSU for his last year because we had the grad program he wanted.

dbackjon
January 21st, 2015, 04:33 PM
I thought Braxton Miller was heading to Oregon

dudeitsaid
January 21st, 2015, 11:52 PM
That would suck. I would hate to see him go...and then actually face him as an opponent our first game of the year! Hopefully, this never materializes into more than just rumors.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/jan/21/adams-rebuts-rumors-oregon-interest/

Rumors that Eastern Washington quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. could transfer to Oregon next year are just that, Adams said Wednesday afternoon.“I haven’t talked to anybody over there," Adams said in reaction to reports a pair of websites, including fishduck.com (http://fishduck.com/2015/01/ewu-qb-vernon-adams-transferring-to-oregon-huge-risk-or-huge-reward-for-ducks/)and bleacherreport.com (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329225-what-the-oregon-ducks-must-do-to-get-back-to-title-game-in-2016), that he is could be candidate to replace departed Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota.
The rumors were repeated Wednesday in this column (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/01/is_oregon_be_interested_in_tra.html)from the Oregonian.
“I keep hearing that too,” Adams said Wednesday. “I don’t know, maybe they just need a quarterback.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329225-what-the-oregon-ducks-must-do-to-get-back-to-title-game-in-2016

The Ducks aren’t short on QB options next season. Within the program, the Ducks could turn to Jeff Lockie, Morgan Mahalak, Ty Griffin, Taylor Alie or incoming freshman Travis Waller. While Lockie, a redshirt sophomore, seems to be the prohibitive favorite, he’s not a sure thing. In fact, if we’re using past results to predict what will happen this time around, Lockie may actually be the underdog.If the Ducks decide to go outside of the program, they could try to snag Braxton Miller (http://bleacherreport.com/braxton-miller) from Ohio State. As Bleacher Report's Barrett Sallee (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2328031-the-case-for-braxton-miller-to-transfer-from-ohio-state-to-oregon) explained recently, Miller could be the perfect fit in Eugene.
In three seasons for the Buckeyes, Miller has thrown for 52 touchdowns and has rushed for 32 more. In short, he’s one of the best QBs in the nation. While Miller is recovering from a shoulder injury he suffered before the 2014 season, his presence in Eugene would vault the Ducks into national title contention.
Another name that may be in play is Eastern Washington’s Vernon Adams Jr. Adams, who graduates in the spring and has one more year of NCAA eligibility, threw for 35 touchdowns in 10 games this season after throwing 55 in 15 games in 2013. He’s also rushed for 10 touchdowns over the past two years and has completed 66 percent of his passes along the way.

IBleedYellow
January 22nd, 2015, 12:23 AM
It was a lateral move, divisionally, but Andre Martin played at UNI, graduated and transferred to NDSU for his last year because we had the grad program he wanted.

Him plus our coaches are why we can say "How do UNI alums win National Titles?"

"Transfer to NDSU!"

clenz
January 22nd, 2015, 07:23 AM
You'd think that going into Oregon with no spring ball would make it very difficult to become a starter.

Anyway, this thread makes me wonder how long it will be before the P5 eliminates the 1-year wait for transfers moving up?
Doesn't Oregon run the sign system?

It's a "complex" offense but it's a very quick read/instinct offense.

Shouldn't, in theory, take as long to figure out as a "pro style" 5-7 step drop read the conference for 3-5 second attack

Texas
January 22nd, 2015, 07:42 AM
Braxton Miller enrolled for spring semester. I doubt Oregon is that desperate to guarantee a starting position. A guy like VA doesn't strike me as a person that would be happy to ride the bench because that could be a real possibility if he transferred.

Nickels
January 22nd, 2015, 08:42 AM
It's not what he said that strikes me as odd, it's what he didn't say. If this rumor was 100% bull**** wouldn't/shouldn't he deny that he would ever transfer? Judging by the quotes, it doesn't seem like he is totally not interested.

I doubt it happens though.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2015, 09:07 AM
It's not what he said that strikes me as odd, it's what he didn't say. If this rumor was 100% bull**** wouldn't/shouldn't he deny that he would ever transfer? Judging by the quotes, it doesn't seem like he is totally not interested.

I doubt it happens though.

Why would he deny ever transferring and close any window to transfer anywhere else? Oregon State, Washington, Washington State could very well be interested.

ISUMatt
January 22nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
So Miller isn't going to Florida State?? LOL

ISUMatt

ming01
January 22nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Is there any basis for this? Or are they just throwing ***** at the wall?

clenz
January 22nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
It's the internet...does there need to be a basis?

BisonFan02
January 22nd, 2015, 03:46 PM
It's the internet...does there need to be a basis?

-LFN

FIFY

smallcollegefbfan
January 22nd, 2015, 09:10 PM
He does not need to do this in order to get drafted but if he goes to Oregon and has an All-Pac 12 type season, then nobody can say he is dominating a low level of competition. Would be a genius move for him. Although, look at Riddick. He was not the real deal and while he flashed he went from FCS 1st team All-American to HM All-Big 12 at WVU. Adams could easily get a combine and Senior Bowl or NFLPA invite with a strong season at EWU but may get more looks from GMs early if he goes to Oregon, which can help as well.

Bisonator
January 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Sounds like VA is going for a visit this weekend?xcoffeex

NoDak 4 Ever
January 28th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I did NOT think this had legs but wow. This could be happening.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/Vernon-Adams-Visiting-Oregon-35142989

GetEmGriz
January 28th, 2015, 03:16 PM
xprayx

NoDak 4 Ever
January 28th, 2015, 03:29 PM
xprayx

actually, I'd be disappointed that he never got to play against us.

dudeitsaid
January 28th, 2015, 03:54 PM
There is also word he already has a scholly offer from them, but has several additional hoops to go through to make this work. Looks like this has potential. Can't say I blame him. It would increase his visibility mightily. EWU will still be strong. But that is a huge hit if it happens.

tomq04
January 28th, 2015, 04:11 PM
The Spokesman Review claims he has a scholarship offer.

Drblankstare
January 28th, 2015, 04:17 PM
This is beyond ****ed up. Oregon is so scared of EWU they are stealing their QB. Lol

NoDak 4 Ever
January 28th, 2015, 04:20 PM
The Spokesman Review claims he has a scholarship offer.

Sounds like they're giving him a pretty hard sell. I think one tour through that facility and he'll probably never leave. He'll just have his stuff Fed Ex'd there.

thebootfitter
January 28th, 2015, 04:22 PM
This is beyond ****ed up. Oregon is so scared of EWU they are stealing their QB. Lol
Not that I think that's really the case, but if it does happen, I'd be disappointed. I'd have loved to have seen how a top tier FCS team like EWU (with Adams) performed against the prior year's "runner-up" at the FBS level. It still has the potential to be an interesting game, though.

Sounds like it could be a very positive move for Adams' future football career. Couldn't blame him.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 28th, 2015, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSlBX32jx0

yep, I don't know how you pass that up.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 28th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Think this is a one-time thing, or could this start a trend?

344Johnson
January 28th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Think this is a one-time thing, or could this start a trend?

Big programs poaching the best FCS players?

Drblankstare
January 28th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Not that I think that's really the case, but if it does happen, I'd be disappointed. I'd have loved to have seen how a top tier FCS team like EWU (with Adams) performed against the prior year's "runner-up" at the FBS level. It still has the potential to be an interesting game, though.

Sounds like it could be a very positive move for Adams' future football career. Couldn't blame him.

Nobody in their right mind could blame him. It's Oregon and Big Papa Phil Knights checkbook. It's a great opportunity.

Catsfan90
January 28th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Who does EWU have for a backup? Obviously it will be tough to replace a QB like him, but can they?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 28th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Who does EWU have for a backup? Obviously it will be tough to replace a QB like him, but can they?

Oh yeah, they have a history of great QB's and a Payton winners frpm that position. They are always solid in that spot so they will continue to be I'm sure.

GetEmGriz

EWU has Jordan West as a backup. He took over for EWU for about 4 or 5 games in 2014 when VA was out with a broken foot. He did pretty well, losing only a close one to Northern Arizona.

thebootfitter
They still won games (except one) when he was hurt in 2014. Can't remember the guy's name, or if it will even be the same guy in 2015, but I think they usually do a good job of recruiting good quarterbacks that fit their system.

(Edited to add: Oops... guess I was a little late)

GetEmGriz
January 28th, 2015, 04:53 PM
As good of quarterbacks as EWU gets, I don't see them getting another QB like VA in a long time. He was at a whole different level.

Catsfan90
January 28th, 2015, 04:55 PM
EWU has Jordan West as a backup. He took over for EWU for about 4 or 5 games in 2014 when VA was out with a broken foot. He did pretty well, losing only a close one to Northern Arizona.
Good point. I actually forgot that he had been out for a lot of the season! IIRC they have Kupp back as well? He can really help out any QB.

And URSUS, that's what I was thinking as well. They have a long history of recruiting good Qb's.

AGS voters, how does this effect your preseason ranking of them?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Good point. I actually forgot that he had been out for a lot of the season! IIRC they have Kupp back as well? He can really help out any QB.

And URSUS, that's what I was thinking as well. They have a long history of recruiting good Qb's.

AGS voters, how does this effect your preseason ranking of them?

Too early to be thinking about any of that for me.

BisonFan02
January 28th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Too early to be thinking about any of that for me.

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/6-happy-gilmore-batting-cage-gif.gif

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 28th, 2015, 05:52 PM
This article talks about another QB that moved up to FBS......................http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=795063

- - - Updated - - -

Vernon Adams has an offer from Oregon...................http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=796492

ursus arctos horribilis
January 28th, 2015, 08:46 PM
This has happened before with a guy from Weber transferring to Oklahoma and gaining some major attention back about 7 or 8 years ago too I think.

citdog
January 28th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I'll bet Coach Baldwin thought he was done recruiting Vernon Adams.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 28th, 2015, 11:34 PM
How does this not violate NCAA rules? He's under scholarship currently. How can those ****s contact him, let alone offer him a scholarship until he's been granted release from the one he already has? This whole situation is ****ed.

rokamortis
January 28th, 2015, 11:50 PM
How does this not violate NCAA rules? He's under scholarship currently. How can those ****s contact him, let alone offer him a scholarship until he's been granted release from the one he already has? This whole situation is ****ed.

He doesn't need to be released. Since he is going to graduate with a year of eligibility remaining he is within the NCAA rules to transfer as a grad student.

Bisonoline
January 29th, 2015, 12:02 AM

If you knew the rules you wouldnt be barking.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 29th, 2015, 12:17 AM
This is very interesting obviously. Guys "moving up" is a lot more common in college bball. Steph Curry's brother went from Liberty to Duke.

I honestly don't see Adams as an elite QB at Oregon. I believe his size and so-so running would cost him against big time PAC 12 competition. He can ultimately accomplish more at EWU imo. Oregon can/will find somebody who's bigger and faster....

344Johnson
January 29th, 2015, 12:28 AM
If they want him to come, he'd be silly not to. Chance to play in the PAC-12 doesn't come around too often

JSUBison
January 29th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Vernon is getting jerked around by Oregon. Obviously Oregon is favored against EWU in the game next year, but they don't want a repeat of the last two games EWU played against FBS, they might get bit. What better way to make sure EWU doesn't score 40+ on them than to take their starting QB, pick his brain, and then sit him at the end of the bench when the season comes?

mvemjsunpx
January 29th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Vernon is getting jerked around by Oregon. Obviously Oregon is favored against EWU in the game next year, but they don't want a repeat of the last two games EWU played against FBS, they might get bit. What better way to make sure EWU doesn't score 40+ on them than to take their starting QB, pick his brain, and then sit him at the end of the bench when the season comes?

So… you really think Oregon is that concerned about beating Eastern Washington? xeyebrowx

That'd be like the U.S. Government faking the president's death as part of a scheme to successfully invade Uruguay.

thebootfitter
January 29th, 2015, 03:06 AM
I honestly don't see Adams as an elite QB at Oregon. I believe his size and so-so running would cost him against big time PAC 12 competition. He can ultimately accomplish more at EWU imo. Oregon can/will find somebody who's bigger and faster....
I dunno... He fared okay against a respectable (top 30-ish) Oregon State in 2013 and a respectable bowl-bound Washington in 2014. He may not be as "elite" as Mariota, but I think he has the abilities to do quite well in their system.

If he goes for it, it will certainly be fun to see how it all plays out anyway.

X-Factor
January 29th, 2015, 05:43 AM
So… you really think Oregon is that concerned about beating Eastern Washington? xeyebrowx

That'd be like the U.S. Government faking the president's death as part of a scheme to successfully invade Uruguay.
Agree, unfortunately EWU gets pasted regardless of who there starter at qb is. I can't see a situation when O has to punt, do you?

danefan
January 29th, 2015, 07:16 AM
He's crazy if he doesn't take it. The potential uptick in his draft status is too much to turn down.

If any one of you had the national runner up calling with an offer you'd take it in a heart beat.

dewey
January 29th, 2015, 07:34 AM
He's crazy if he doesn't take it. The potential uptick in his draft status is too much to turn down.

If any one of you had the national runner up calling with an offer you'd take it in a heart beat.

I agree. If he has aspirations of playing in the NFL then he would be crazy not to take it. It would stink to lose an FCS talent such as his to the FBS.

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Yeah, what better way to stick it to him than give him a scholarship to a premier football program? That'll show him.

clenz
January 29th, 2015, 08:03 AM
If you knew the rules you wouldnt be barking.
He's graduating.

He's not committed anywhere next year. He can play anywhere.

Does EWU have him locked into a multi-year scholarship or contract?

He is obviously extremely willing if he is talking about it and taking an official visit.

SE loves Russell Wilson....he did this exact same thing. Wonder if that makes him wish harm to Wilson?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 08:06 AM
He's graduating.

He's not committed anywhere next year. He can play anywhere.

Does EWU have him locked into a multi-year scholarship or contract?

He is obviously extremely willing if he is talking about it and taking an official visit.

SE loves Russell Wilson....he did this exact same thing. Wonder if that makes him wish harm to Wilson?

SE has never been good with breakups

http://cdn4.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/em-breakup-14.gif

Bisonator
January 29th, 2015, 08:10 AM
So if VA transfers will the media be talking all the time about the FCS transfer during Oregon's games? They sure love to brag about FBS transfers!xrolleyesx

Sycamore62
January 29th, 2015, 08:39 AM
He'd have to win a minimum of 2 playoff games to be on the Deuce. Go to Oregon and they will be slobbing all over his junk all morning at least 1 Saturday and they will get a lot of press all year until they lose. then when everyone else loses they will be back doing it again

As much as I'd love to say I wouldnt make that move, I almost guarantee I would have.

Do they have a transfer plan if you piddle **** around and take 4 semesters after your are done playing to complete your last 12 hours of classes? If so, I may have a year of eligibility left

Lehigh Football Nation
January 29th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Or believing Obama's birth mom forged a birth certificate in Hawai'i so that her son could be president.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 29th, 2015, 09:00 AM
If I'm VA I'd take the chance at Oregon because I'm honestly not at all sure about his chances in the NFL. Historically, short QBs have not done well on draft day in general, and with Manziel looking like he could be an all-time bust it's going to be interesting what scouts think next year.

Guys like Russel Wilson are the exception, not the rule, and I don't see him as an all-time QB either.

gregatim
January 29th, 2015, 09:38 AM

SE174, I feel your pain brother. Bison Nation would be in full out "flip the #$@% out mode" if this were happening with Carson Wentz or any other player for that matter.

Vernon may be within his rights to transfer as a graduate, but do NCAA rules allow for those student athletes to be actively recruited which seems to be the obvious case here? If so, that door should be closed immediately.

GetEmGriz
January 29th, 2015, 10:18 AM
SE174, I feel your pain brother. Bison Nation would be in full out "flip the #$@% out mode" if this were happening with Carson Wentz or any other player for that matter.

Vernon may be within his rights to transfer as a graduate, but do NCAA rules allow for those student athletes to be actively recruited which seems to be the obvious case here? If so, that door should be closed immediately.

I have a cousin who played for Tulsa. He got a full ride scholarship but didn't see a single down of playing. He managed to graduate early and still had a year of eligibility left. The then (new) coach asked him to stay on the team for the next year and guaranteed he would be a starter. He chose to skip his 4th year season because he was already graduated debt free and avoided any injuries he may have acquired if he stayed to play his final year. The point is that Tulsa couldn't force him to stay. Once an athlete graduates early, he can do whatever he wants... That also means that other universities can actively pursue athletes if they still have a year of eligibility.

Professor Chaos
January 29th, 2015, 10:19 AM

I'm pretty sure per NCAA rules a school isn't supposed to initiate contact with a student-athlete at another school but if that student-athlete contacts them about a potential transfer there they can offer him a scholarship and actively recruit him.

Now the question is did Adams contact Oregon first or did one of Oregon's "agents" contact him first? I think the answer is pretty obvious and, while it was most likely against the rules (shocking, I know) this is just another one of the NCAA's unenforceable policies.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 10:19 AM
and if the NCAA didn't give enough of a **** about FCS to nail Tressel, why do you think they're going to care about a FCS prospect getting poached?

Lehigh'98
January 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
and if the NCAA didn't give enough of a **** about FCS to nail Tressel, why do you think they're going to care about a FCS prospect getting poached?

Can't you just let Tressel go?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Can't you just let Tressel go?

A staunch defender of cheaters, eh?

Lehigh'98
January 29th, 2015, 10:57 AM
A staunch defender of cheaters, eh?

Bill Belichick thinks he did nothing wrong!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Bill Belichick thinks he did nothing wrong!

They all suck. Point is, the NCAA doesn't give a rip about the FCS.

AmsterBison
January 29th, 2015, 11:04 AM

The NCAA no longer has any meaningful control over the P5 so the only thing you can blame the NCAA for is allowing the P5 to remain as members.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 11:08 AM
The NCAA no longer has any meaningful control over the P5 so the only thing you can blame the NCAA for is allowing the P5 to remain as members.

That's a hostage situation if ever I saw it.

344Johnson
January 29th, 2015, 11:12 AM

Do they have any financial incentive to care?

Uncle Rico's Clan
January 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure per NCAA rules a school isn't supposed to initiate contact with a student-athlete at another school but if that student-athlete contacts them about a potential transfer there they can offer him a scholarship and actively recruit him.

Now the question is did Adams contact Oregon first or did one of Oregon's "agents" contact him first? I think the answer is pretty obvious and, while it was most likely against the rules (shocking, I know) this is just another one of the NCAA's unenforceable policies.

There is also the possibility that someone at Oregon contacted someone in ewu's athletic department and asked for permission to reach out to Adams. My guess is if ewu gave permission, it wouldn't be a violation for Oregon to contact the player.

Bisonator
January 29th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Don't worry guys I'm sure the NCAA is investigating and will punish Oregon State appropriately for any wrong doing. Probably even get the "death penalty" and not allow them into any bowl games. That'll teach them!:D

ming01
January 29th, 2015, 11:57 AM
He doesn't need to be released. Since he is going to graduate with a year of eligibility remaining he is within the NCAA rules to transfer as a grad student.

no he's already been granted his transfer release.

clenz
January 29th, 2015, 12:00 PM
no he's already been granted his transfer release.
Regardless, he's gone

No_Skill
January 29th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Regardless, he's gone

We should start a pool to guess how fast he accepts their offer. My guess is he tweets it out while in the plane to Oregon.

Realistically no later than Sunday morning.

saxbison
January 29th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Don't worry guys I'm sure the NCAA is investigating and will punish Oregon State appropriately for any wrong doing. Probably even get the "death penalty" and not allow them into any bowl games. That'll teach them!:D

So basically a regular year for the Beavers.

clenz
January 29th, 2015, 01:01 PM
He's already gone...

It's a matter of when it's "official"

Hammerhead
January 29th, 2015, 03:55 PM
The Ducks have offered Adams a scholarship. Now it's just a matter of whether or not he thinks he can be #1 next year.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/28/ewus-adams-visiting-oregon-may-transfer/

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 29th, 2015, 04:20 PM
This is about to get mentioned on "Around the Horn"....

dudeitsaid
January 29th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the FCS, soon to be the official minor league feeder system for the P5...

On a positive note, it was announced today that Beau Baldwin signed a 5 year contract extension!!! Guess the Eagles needed some good news the day after suicide watch was initiated following yesterday's "breaking news"!

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/29/beau-baldwins-new-contract-worth-212k-year/

NoDak 4 Ever
January 29th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the FCS, soon to be the official minor league feeder system for the P5...

On a positive note, it was announced today that Beau Baldwin signed a 5 year contract extension!!! Guess the Eagles needed some good news the day after suicide watch was initiated following yesterday's "breaking news"!

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/29/beau-baldwins-new-contract-worth-212k-year/

Oh, you don't know? A contract extension means the coach will be gone at the end of the season. At least that's what I heard somewhere.

centennial
January 29th, 2015, 07:07 PM

Who do you have to replace Vernon? Any videos of the 2nd or 3rd string?

dudeitsaid
January 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Who do you have to replace Vernon? Any videos of the 2nd or 3rd string?

When Vernon was injured, Jordan West took the helm, and went 3-1. It was against some of the softer BSC competition. He played his worst game against NAU, but we were still in position to win the game. We had the lead, but NAU came back in a miracle reminiscent of Seattle vs Green Bay in the waning seconds. We do have some very strong receivers, and a couple of solid RB's coming back that can help just about any QB look good.

Highlights of the NAU game we lost. Keep in mind, it was Jordan's worst game by far, but also the toughest competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDcsgxBVYI4

We also have a Redshirt Freshman named Reilly Hennessey that sounds like he is the real deal. It wouldn't surprise me from what I've heard to see him surpass Jordan West. Other than some high school highlights, he only played in some garbage time this year. From what I saw, I thought he looked sharp.

Here are some high school highlights for him. You can see why EWU recruited him. But of course, it's only against HS competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iHtMdiHo4

Adams is a special player. I didn't know we'd ever see another Erik Meyer after he left, or Jesse Chatman, or Taiwan Jones, or Brandon Kaufman... I've realized the coaches at EWU do a good job recruiting, and we seem to find those star players. We still have Cooper Kupp, one of the best receivers in the FCS. And their are other receivers that would be the top receiver on many teams. I think our passing game will still be solid. I just don't know that we would be a legit NC contender without a QB...unless we can get our D to perform more like the MVFC defenses. xthumbsupx

centennial
January 29th, 2015, 08:42 PM
When Vernon was injured, Jordan West took the helm, and went 3-1. It was against some of the softer BSC competition. He played his worst game against NAU, but we were still in position to win the game. We had the lead, but NAU came back in a miracle reminiscent of Seattle vs Green Bay in the waning seconds. We do have some very strong receivers, and a couple of solid RB's coming back that can help just about any QB look good.

Highlights of the NAU game we lost. Keep in mind, it was Jordan's worst game by far, but also the toughest competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDcsgxBVYI4

We also have a Redshirt Freshman named Reilly Hennessey that sounds like he is the real deal. It wouldn't surprise me from what I've heard to see him surpass Jordan West. Other than some high school highlights, he only played in some garbage time this year. From what I saw, I thought he looked sharp.

Here are some high school highlights for him. You can see why EWU recruited him. But of course, it's only against HS competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iHtMdiHo4

Adams is a special player. I didn't know we'd ever see another Erik Meyer after he left, or Jesse Chatman, or Taiwan Jones, or Brandon Kaufman... I've realized the coaches at EWU do a good job recruiting, and we seem to find those star players. We still have Cooper Kupp, one of the best receivers in the FCS. And their are other receivers that would be the top receiver on many teams. I think our passing game will still be solid. I just don't know that we would be a legit NC contender without a QB...unless we can get our D to perform more like the MVFC defenses. xthumbsupx
Reilly Hennessey looks better of the 2. I think you guys will be fine, he looks like a solid QB, not a top FCS QB like Adams, or Robertson or Wentz type. Also agreed that without a solid defense the top of the MVFC will be hard to beat for EWU.

citdog
January 29th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Where is Alpha? I'd love to know his take on this. 'Da Shootah being his favorite player and all....

dudeitsaid
January 29th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Where is Alpha? I'd love to know his take on this. 'Da Shootah being his favorite player and all....

I believe he was the liaison between Oregon and Vernon Adams. He is the man in the shadows making everything happen. Nothing like having our own QB beat us in the first game of the 2015 season...

BisonFan02
January 29th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I believe he was the liaison between Oregon and Vernon Adams. He is the man in the shadows making everything happen. Nothing like having our own QB beat us in the first game of the 2015 season...

Oregon running a wildcat offense with no QB beats you guys next year.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 29th, 2015, 09:59 PM

He's being respectful of wishes I've shared with him in the past about the FCS board I would assume. If this is the case I appreciate his efforts.

SUPharmacist
January 29th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Reilly Hennessey looks better of the 2. I think you guys will be fine, he looks like a solid QB, not a top FCS QB like Adams, or Robertson or Wentz type. Also agreed that without a solid defense the top of the MVFC will be hard to beat for EWU.

I like Wentz, he has definitely proven he is a winner and is the superior athlete compared to Brock. However, it seems premature to compare him to Adams or Robertson. Back to the conversation at hand, I hate to see top guys like VA leave FCS like this, but it is completely understandable.

Cleets
January 29th, 2015, 11:24 PM
From what my brother said - Every PAC12 team is interested in VA... the whole lot of them

veinup
January 29th, 2015, 11:43 PM
this is real? holy ****.

mvemjsunpx
January 29th, 2015, 11:53 PM

Uh, probably not. There are hardly any FCS players that P5 teams would even think about doing this for, especially since they'd need to virtually guarantee a starting job for them.

344Johnson
January 30th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Uh, probably not. There are hardly any FCS players that P5 teams would even think about doing this for, especially since they'd need to virtually guarantee a starting job for them.

A starting spot? I disagree.

I think some would be very surprised how many guys would kill to get a shot like this.

citdog
January 30th, 2015, 12:44 AM

I think some would be very surprised how many guys would kill to get a shot like this.

We did have the only special teams stabbing scandal in the history of football a couple of years ago...

BisonFan02
January 30th, 2015, 01:25 AM
We did have the only special teams stabbing scandal in the history of football a couple of years ago...

kickers........... xlolx

Bisonoline
January 30th, 2015, 01:33 AM

Oh.....I remember that.

citdog
January 30th, 2015, 01:46 AM
FCS "Even our punters will cut you"

Bisonoline
January 30th, 2015, 02:04 AM

LOL LOL

BisonFan02
January 30th, 2015, 02:43 AM

.....and our kickers are all ankle biters. :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 30th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I like Wentz, he has definitely proven he is a winner and is the superior athlete compared to Brock. However, it seems premature to compare him to Adams or Robertson. Back to the conversation at hand, I hate to see top guys like VA leave FCS like this, but it is completely understandable.

Good for the kid...it is Oregon calling.

Bad for EWU but I'm sure they have a good replacement waiting to take over.

Professor Chaos
January 30th, 2015, 08:30 AM

I think this is a pretty unique scenario and isn't the start of some trend. Even a guy like Adams who is one of the most talented in the FCS won't have guaranteed playing time at Oregon but he's good enough that Oregon is willing to bring him on for a single year rather than use the scholly to go after some high school blue chipper. I don't think there's a lot of FCS caliber guys that would have similar evaluations from P5 schools. I also agree with 344Johnson that presented the same opportunity a multitude of FCS guys would jump at the Oregon offer. It's just not going to be a very common opportunity IMO.

I, for one, will really be rooting for VA to do well at Oregon if the precursors are correct and he ends up there. I think it would really be eye opening for the FBS crowd to see a FCS guy tear up the Pac 12 (which Adams has already done in his two opportunities but now he could have a whole season under the microscope). It may lead to more situations like this where an elite FCS guy transfers up but it also would give more credence to the notion that there are quality football players and quality football played at the FCS level.

Nickels
January 30th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I think this is a great incentive for talented FCS players. Make your grades, graduate early or at least on time, play well and you may get a shot at big time programs.

Sycamore62
January 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
kickers........... xlolx

That's what you get when you let soccer players play football

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Upon further review I agree, it doesn't seem like this would be a very common occurrence. It's sort-of a perfect storm - two fantastic performances vs. FBS schools, graduating on time in four years, and even working in VAJr.'s favor is Russell Wilson, an undersized QB guiding his team to the Super Bowl. How many dynamic players will be able to simply jump in for a single year of eligibility and contribute like that? Maybe one, two tops after any given season.

Another unexplored dynamic is: What am I thinking if I'm a sophomore QB at Oregon right now? If you are bringing in six of these kids a year your recruiting could go to pot. And for all I know that sophomore QB might transfer... to EWU.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 30th, 2015, 12:07 PM
To think something like this happening very rarely would affect Oregon's recruiting in any way is a bit of drama manufacturing I think. Now could it help an FBS guy choose where to transfer to...that is plausible.

Gangtackle11
January 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I just hope they don't look Villanova's way.

Professor Chaos
February 2nd, 2015, 08:30 AM
Some interesting thoughts from KC Keeler in this article about Adams' potential move: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/fcs-coaches-not-sure-vernon-adams-can-transition-from-ewu-to-oregon/

“If I was advising him, I’d say he should stay,” Sam Houston State’s K.C. Keeler told The Oregonian‘s Andrew Greif.
“I’m disappointed he’s leaving because I think what players have to understand is bigger is not better, better is better. He’s developed an unbelievable following at Eastern Washington and I’d be disappointed he’s leaving our level. I’m not excited that he’s trying to bump up to a higher level. The more he plays, the better he’s going to get, and I don’t know if that’s the situation at Oregon.”

Not quite sure I understand where he's coming from. I would think that given Adams' accomplishments at the FCS level he has a better chance of improving himself as a player to face better competition at Oregon. I'm thinking Keeler is trying to play this down so it doesn't become a trend.

Insert your own punch line about Keeler being a critic of transferring...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2015, 09:04 AM
He does have a point, but it's certainly coming from the oddest of messengers.

thebootfitter
February 2nd, 2015, 11:53 AM
No breaking news on this yet?

melloware13
February 2nd, 2015, 12:40 PM
I think what Keeler was getting at is why risk losing playing time while transferring up when you are already an established starter (and star) on the FCS level. It's not like the NFL doesn't look to FCS for Quarterbacks, so he might be better off performing well here.

NDSUSR
February 2nd, 2015, 01:34 PM
Vernon Adams is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I cant believe Oregon is even considering such a stupid move.

344Johnson
February 2nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Vernon Adams is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I cant believe Oregon is even considering such a stupid move.

I'm guessing the gentlemen making these decisions at Oregon have a better feel for his talent level than pretty well anyone on this board.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 2nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
I'm guessing the gentlemen making these decisions at Oregon have a better feel for his talent level than pretty well anyone on this board.

Ditto. Not saying it might not be a mistake but most of us ain't making a living judging talent as it pertains to football. I'll have to trust in what they think works.

NDSUSR
February 2nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Sure, like the expert call the Seahawks OC made on the 1 yard line last night.

Gil Dobie
February 2nd, 2015, 03:21 PM

The NFL is still playing games?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 2nd, 2015, 05:09 PM

Yeah, seems similar.

Not saying mistakes are not made but going into any new situation it's pretty tough not to go with the most experienced viewpoint on a matter. But second guessing coaches by people with little or no experience is a national past time. xlolx

BisonFan02
February 2nd, 2015, 05:21 PM
Yeah, seems similar.

Not saying mistakes are not made but going into any new situation it's pretty tough not to go with the most experienced viewpoint on a matter. But second guessing coaches by people with little or no experience is a national past time. xlolx

.................run the damn ball!! xlolx

344Johnson
February 2nd, 2015, 06:28 PM
.................run the damn ball!! xlolx

Bring back the option

NoDak 4 Ever
February 2nd, 2015, 06:30 PM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/6c99c6f7e1270e56318efa44a980acc5/tumblr_mxp9bgzPRc1rge74zo1_500.jpg

PantherRob82
February 2nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
What does our resident coaching expert think....

BisonFan02
February 2nd, 2015, 07:47 PM
What does our resident coaching expert think....

Full house offense.....those 5th graders are fairly unreliable chucking the pigskin.

Cleets
February 2nd, 2015, 09:00 PM

Precisely ^ this...
There are no guarantee's anywhere - but you tell me if you think ego maniac Vernon Adams doesn't think he can beat out ANYBODY ANYWHERE for a starting job...?
That annoying douche has more confidence and swagger than 10 people
He's EXACTLY what a PAC12 school needs

Hell, he's what every team wants at that position

PantherRob82
February 2nd, 2015, 11:42 PM
And even if he doesn't start he will play somewhere. What an experience.

IBleedYellow
February 7th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Looks like we will learn where he wants to go on Monday.

Grizo406
February 7th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Not goin' out on a limb too much here, but I think he'll stay at EWU.

He owns Cheney, and doesn't have enough time to convince the Eugene faithful.

PantherRob82
February 7th, 2015, 11:43 PM
Looks like we will learn where he wants to go on Monday.

Where did you see this?

I've seen an article mention "as early as Monday" but nothing definite.

tomq04
February 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Us Spokane folk have been arguing this pretty heavily, it seems like it's an easy coin flip if he'll stay or leave. Will another year like he has had be "good enough", particularly compared to not even starting? If he can get the starting job and have a stellar year than good on him...just seems like having another good EWU year is relatively safe and should get him plenty of looks.

I would wish him all the world if he can start at Texas, UCLA or Oregon if he thinks he can get the job, it's just tough to show up in the fall and try and get the starting role.

knucklehead
February 9th, 2015, 11:54 AM
From Vernon's Twitter: " Oregon it is! First off, I want to thank God for this amazing opportunity. I want to thank all of… http://t.co/yMkAHNt1f2"

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 11:58 AM
From Vernon's Twitter: " Oregon it is! First off, I want to thank God for this amazing opportunity. I want to thank all of… http://t.co/yMkAHNt1f2 (http://t.co/yMkAHNt1f2)"

Your link didnt work for me, but: http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/EWU-QB-Vernon-Adams-Will-Transfer-to-Oregon-35525642

BisonFan02
February 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM
From Vernon's Twitter: " Oregon it is! First off, I want to thank God for this amazing opportunity. I want to thank all of… http://t.co/yMkAHNt1f2 (http://t.co/yMkAHNt1f2)"

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-42153-I-feel-shocked-gif-Imgur-Dodge-PsT5.gif

NoDak 4 Ever
February 9th, 2015, 12:06 PM
https://thedramaticallife.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/laughing2.gif

bodoyle
February 9th, 2015, 12:06 PM
@FCS_Gameday (https://twitter.com/FCS_Gameday) 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/FCS_Gameday/status/564845694507556864) BREAKING: EWU's QB Vernon Adams announces plans to transfer to Oregon for final season. Ducks open 2015 vs EWU. #FCS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/FCS?src=hash)

clenz
February 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Makes me fear the EWU slightly less.

dewey
February 9th, 2015, 12:09 PM
As a fan of FCS I am dissappointed to see a player of his talents leaving to go to Oregon. I wonder what happens if he isn't the starter? Does he stay in Eugene as the backup or does he come back to Cheney? Is he going to be in Eugene for spring ball? This has got to affect the expectations of EWU going into next year.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Not goin' out on a limb too much here, but I think he'll stay at EWU.

He owns Cheney, and doesn't have enough time to convince the Eugene faithful.

Good call again. You football intellect is dizzying.

bluehenbillk
February 9th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. Any FCS kid that visits the facilities in Eugene - how do you turn that down? Best of luck to him.

BisonFan02
Good call again. You football intellect is dizzying.

is it?

ursus arctos horribilis
As a fan of FCS I am dissappointed to see a player of his talents leaving to go to Oregon. I wonder what happens if he isn't the starter? Does he stay in Eugene as the backup or does he come back to Cheney? Is he going to be in Eugene for spring ball? This has got to affect the expectations of EWU going into next year.

Dewey

He's got one year left...how would he do that? He won't be in Eugene for spring ball from what I gather from reading this thread.

He's making the right move for his own career and it's his choice to make so I'm good with what he is trying to do. Would have like another shot at him but so be it.

dewey
February 9th, 2015, 12:20 PM
So does VA leaving EWU to go to Oregon possibly mean that more FBS teams will try to come in and poach star FCS players? VA was going to graduate this spring so that is why he is free to move up without sitting out, right?

Dewey

clenz
February 9th, 2015, 12:20 PM
is it?
Judging by Grizo's balance in Fargo....

it is

dewey
February 9th, 2015, 12:23 PM
He's got one year left...how would he do that?

My thought was what if someone else is named the starter out of fall ball. Would he stick out the 2015 season in Eugene or come back to play at EWU for the 2015 season. I can't fault the young man for his decision as he is trying to make the best choice for his career.

Dewey

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Does anyone really expect him to do well with the Ducks?
I expect him to fail terribly. Am I the only one?

GetEmGriz
February 9th, 2015, 12:26 PM
So does VA leaving EWU to go to Oregon possibly mean that more FBS teams will try to come in and poach star FCS players? VA was going to graduate this spring so that is why he is free to move up without sitting out, right?

Dewey

This line right here is the only way an FBS program can recruit any player from the FCS. A player has to graduate early with a year of playing eligibility left.

No_Skill
February 9th, 2015, 12:28 PM

If Johnny football can move up a level and do well, I see no reason that Vern can't as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Dewey

Yes, and it's not probably something we all need to worry about happening a whole lot.

tribe_pride
February 9th, 2015, 12:34 PM
You need to be an extremely special player for a school to recruit you for 1 year knowing you can only start officially practicing with the team in the Fall while probably doing Summer practice as well unofficially especially at the QB position. It happens, but I don't see this starting a huge trend.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:34 PM
My thought was what if someone else is named the starter out of fall ball. Would he stick out the 2015 season in Eugene or come back to play at EWU for the 2015 season. I can't fault the young man for his decision as he is trying to make the best choice for his career.

Dewey

Yes I get what you are saying. What I'm saying is how could he do that? He's got one year left, he's accepted a scholarship form Oregon. He's there for the year which means the career. Is there something you are aware of outside of this cuz what you are saying does not make sense to me.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:35 PM

I expect him do well. I believe you to be incorrect.

clenz
February 9th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Yes I get what you are saying. What I'm saying is how could he do that? He's got one year left, he's accepted a scholarship form Oregon. He's there for the year which means the career. Is there something you are aware of outside of this cuz what you are saying does not make sense to me.
Plus the transfer exception is only good for 1 transfer.

He'd have to sit, which means he can't transfer

tribe_pride
February 9th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I think Dewey is saying that if by late August he realizes that he is the backup, he would leave Oregon and come back to EWU. Not sure if you can do this (you might be able to but who knows) but if you are allowed, I would say there is a .001% chance of that happening.

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM
If Johnny football can move up a level and do well, I see no reason that Vern can't as well.
Manziel did well in the NFL? When was that? He sucked all year, got fined and went to rehab. Not exactly doing "well" in my book.
I expect Adams to do much better than that, but I dont see him filling Mariota's shoes.

Professor Chaos
February 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I'll be rooting for him to tear it up. It will lend credence that there's some really good football played at the FCS level. If it means a few more elite FCS players get poached by FBS schools for their 5th season so be it. The FCS gets plenty of impact players from FBS transfers as well.

clenz
February 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Less than 0.

It literally can't happen if Adams signed anything.

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I expect him do well. I believe you to be incorrect.

This post will become the new "reason Ursus says probably". :)

dewey
February 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM

I just am not sure how it works but can he accept a scholarship then if it doesn't work out (meaning he isn't the starter after fall ball) he could leave to go back to Cheney for the 2015 season? I honestly don't know how it works.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I think Dewey is saying that if by late August he realizes that he is the backup, he would leave Oregon and come back to EWU. Not sure if you can do this (you might be able to but who knows) but if you are allowed, I would say there is a .001% chance of that happening.

Other than what clenz pointed out which is even more solid I don't see how a player could leave during a year they are under scholarship. Once the year is over they can transfer of course but he'd be under Oregon Scholarship in August and if not the starter Oregon sure as hell ain't gonna give up a good backup I wouldn't see how it could work.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 9th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Someone needs to see if the folks at EWU athletics offices are adorning new Nike swag over this.

dewey
February 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Less than 0.

It literally can't happen if Adams signed anything.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the 1 transfer rule. That is what I was trying to get to. Sorry my brain is just starting to function again after a week in Mexico.

Dewey

clenz
February 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I just am not sure how it works but can he accept a scholarship then if it doesn't work out (meaning he isn't the starter after fall ball) he could leave to go back to Cheney for the 2015 season? I honestly don't know how it works.

Dewey
No.

The transfer exemption from FCS to FBS doesn't exist.
The exemption from FBS to FCS is only for 1 transfer
He will only have 1 year to play
He used his FCS/FBS or FBS/FBS exemption for 1 year of grad school on this one.

He literally can't play anywhere else in D1 next season

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 12:44 PM
On the upside...
Twitter is lit up with FBS fans super excited about Oregon getting a FCS QB.
Strange times we live in indeed.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:45 PM
This post will become the new "reason Ursus says probably". :)

Good, I have little reason to have that in there as it is so in order to make the statement true I'd like to be less better once in a while.xthumbsupx:D

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 12:47 PM
On the upside...

That is pretty funny. xlolx

Daytripper
February 9th, 2015, 12:48 PM
On the upside...
http://media.giphy.com/media/xkSJ2jLGVaE4E/giphy.gif

GannonFan
February 9th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I'll be rooting for him to tear it up. It will lend credence that there's some really good football played at the FCS level. If it means a few more elite FCS players get poached by FBS schools for their 5th season so be it. The FCS gets plenty of impact players from FBS transfers as well.

Well, there's at least two now for this year - Adams is one, and Evan Kelly, all-CAA defensive lineman going to Boston College, is another. Hard to see it being a great thing for FCS - no one seems to be excited about AAA baseball having players move up to the major leagues in baseball. Minor leagues are still minor leagues.

kdinva
February 9th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Adams is headed to Eugene.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fcs-america-qb-vernon-adams-transfer-oregon-184535454--ncaaf.html

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Adams is headed to Eugene.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fcs-america-qb-vernon-adams-transfer-oregon-184535454--ncaaf.html
xlolx

Sort of what kicked this one up to the top again kd.

Professor Chaos
February 9th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Also some interesting reports out in the twittersphere that both Texas and UCLA expressed interest in being a transfer destination for Adams.

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Also some interesting reports out in the twittersphere that both Texas and UCLA expressed interest in being a transfer destination for Adams.

Pure speculation.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM

I wonder which prospective agents leaked those names... xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
February 9th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Pure speculation.

Apparently they were among the schools calling Adam's high school coach who acted as an intermediary.

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Thread has gone full retard.

veinup
February 9th, 2015, 03:07 PM
this is crazy. i know i've hated on him for a long time, but ultimately i am proud of vernon adams. way to ****ing go dude. thats simply a chance you cant pass up. my money has him starting from the first game with Oregon next year.

seeing an fcs guy who i am very familiar with on the front page of espn.com is pretty rad. congrats shoota

Catsfan90
February 9th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thread has gone full retard.
I heard Brian Williams was the one who convinced him that Oregon was the right choice.

Mr. C
February 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM
No breaking news on this yet?
The LA Times had a story on it being official with quotes from his high school coach a couple of
hours ago. And I just received a release from Eastern Washington about the same time, with
quotes from Beau Baldwin and the AD.

Mr. C
February 9th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Who would have thought that Oregon would replace a Heisman winner with a Payton Award two-time runner-up?

blueballs
February 9th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Who would have thought that Oregon would replace a Heisman winner with a Payton Award two-time runner-up?

Heck, I'm rooting for him. I hope he goes there and tears up the Pac-12, for no other reason than to drink in the shock and outrage from the media and pundits when they suddenly realize that there are good football players and good football played outside the P-5.

No_Skill
February 9th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Manziel did well in the NFL? When was that? He sucked all year, got fined and went to rehab. Not exactly doing "well" in my book.
I expect Adams to do much better than that, but I dont see him filling Mariota's shoes.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/654/097/bd3.jpg

Gil Dobie
February 9th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Will the broadcast team repeatedly say Adams, the Eastern Washington Transfer, like they do all the FBS transfers during a televised game. xcoffeex

2015 Heisman Winner would be great!

tomq04
February 9th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Will the broadcast team repeatedly say Adams, the Eastern Washington Transfer, like they do all the FBS transfers during a televised game. xcoffeex

2015 Heisman Winner would be great!

I'm trying to find some heisman betting websites that will take the VA bet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 9th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I'm trying to find some heisman betting websites that will take the VA bet.

Maybe 35-1? 40-1? Oregon lost a considerable amount of talent and the PAC 12 South is becoming beastly. I think Kessler is going to light up the league with all those weapons...

NDSUSR
February 9th, 2015, 06:54 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/654/097/bd3.jpg

Sometimes I need a diagram. My bad...

Bisonator
February 9th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Good luck to him at Oregon. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out going forward. Will he win the starting job? What will the other QB's end up doing?? This must be a big slap to those young guys already on the roster.

I can imagine how disappointed some Eagle fans might be but I think they'll be fine. Need to improve your defense more then anything. The backup played pretty well this past year when VA was out.

kalm
February 9th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Well, there's at least two now for this year - Adams is one, and Evan Kelly, all-CAA defensive lineman going to Boston College, is another. Hard to see it being a great thing for FCS - no one seems to be excited about AAA baseball having players move up to the major leagues in baseball. Minor leagues are still minor leagues.

Agreed.

Through my obviously tainted glasses, I think he's taking quite a risk here.

QB's can learn a new system relatively quickly and there are examples of this whether it was Russell Wilson going to Wisconsin, or Andrew Luck having big numbers his rookie year. Oregon's offense relies more on the read option and horizontal passing game than EWU. I'm not worried one bit about Vernon being able to make the throws and if they utilize him to his fullest potential he's amazingly accurate with vertical touch passes.

My concern is his ability on designed runs. Most of his success at Eastern was based on elusiveness, not speed. I remember when he went down, the coaches talking about the fact that Jordan West is actually faster than Vernon. Obviously there's also the durability and cramping issues. Can he take a beating? Will the up-tempo increase the cramping? There are 5 other QB's on Oregon's roster who were recruited by the PAC 12 and MWC. They were recruited specifically by Oregon to fit their offense. I'd be surprised if they're going to change the offense in August to accommodate Vernon.

Regarding what happens if he doesn't make it? Even if he could come back, I'm guessing he wouldn't be welcomed. He's now a duck who we face the first game of the season which means no weight room, training table, film room, academic help, or team mates to throw to.

Cleets is spot on with Vernon's self confidence. He has "it". I sincerely hope he first graduates on time, then kicks ass at conditioning in Eugene this summer, has a great fall camp, wins the starting job, has a great season…except for that first game.

Glad this **** is over now.

kalm
February 9th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Good luck to him at Oregon. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out going forward. Will he win the starting job? What will the other QB's end up doing?? This must be a big slap to those young guys already on the roster.

I can imagine how disappointed some Eagle fans might be but I think they'll be fine. Need to improve your defense more then anything. The backup played pretty well this past year when VA was out.

Yep. Baldwin was talking about how Jordan's numbers and win-loss ratio through his first four games were equal to if not better than Eric Meyer, Matt Nichols, BLM and Kyle Padron.

We also have two other RS's in Reilly Hennessey and Connor Richardson that will get a chance to compete for the starting job. Beau and QB coach Zack Hill have a pretty good record in coaching that position up.

centennial
February 9th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Just going to leave this here-
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB
Rated 14 for 2016 class. Doesn't seem like the prospect everyone thinks he is. I actually think he was a UDFA or late round prospect at best. I don't really expect that to change much. Oregon offense doesn't translate that well to the NFL. With his stamina issues due to sickle cell and well as his size I doubt have high hopes. This is a huge risk for him- play really well go in the middle to late rounds, don't make starting job/ play poorly then hello CFL.

DuckDuckGriz
February 9th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Maybe 35-1? 40-1? Oregon lost a considerable amount of talent and the PAC 12 South is becoming beastly. I think Kessler is going to light up the league with all those weapons...

Not to be 'that guy' but QB was the only big question to a loaded offense.

The Ducks' beat-up and young O-line gained considerable experience last year - they'll be returning potential All-American candidates at WR: Bralon Addison, Devon Allen, Carrington (hopefully), Dwayne Stanford. TE hopefully sees the return of 1st team all Pac 12 Pharoah Brown - and at RB Pac 12 frosh of the year Royce Freeman and a finally healthy 5-star at Thomas Tyner.

kalm
February 9th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Not to be 'that guy' but QB was the only big question to a loaded offense.

The Ducks' beat-up and young O-line gained considerable experience last year - they'll be returning potential All-American candidates at WR: Bralon Addison, Devon Allen, Carrington (hopefully), Dwayne Stanford. TE hopefully sees the return of 1st team all Pac 12 Pharoah Brown - and at RB Pac 12 frosh of the year Royce Freeman and a finally healthy 5-star at Thomas Tyner.

Evidently you guys suck at recruiting and developing QB's then.

DuckDuckGriz
February 9th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Evidently you guys suck at recruiting and developing QB's then.

Not sure if serious...

kalm
February 9th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Not sure if serious...

Not really, but it does beg the question how you go from Heisman winner to no viable options in-house. Ohio State (as a random example) had 3 bullets.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Not really, but it does beg the question how you go from Heisman winner to no viable options in-house. Ohio State (as a random example) had 3 bullets.

Well there ya go! That's where they went.

kalm
February 9th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Shut up Ursus!

DuckDuckGriz
February 9th, 2015, 10:33 PM
First - to imagine that Oregon has had the recruiting prowess of Ohio State isn't naive, but isn't realistic either.

Second - this is a perfect opportunity to fill a hole while developing a QB through a redshirt - Morgan Mahalak is the next QB in line (despite Jeff Lockie being the #2 all year behind Mariota).

Mariota, Darron Thomas and Dennis Dixon all did the same thing.

dudeitsaid
February 9th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Chaves' and Baldwin's thoughts. Can definitely hear some frustration with all of this underneath their comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuE8m8GXCc#t=581

Screamin_Eagle174
February 10th, 2015, 12:48 AM
Chaves' and Baldwin's thoughts. Can definitely hear some frustration with all of this underneath their comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuE8m8GXCc#t=581

Best part of that, for those not interested in watching the whole thing:

There's gonna be times as a coach, yeah it frustrates you. This is a guy we recruited, this is a guy that we developed. And during that 3-4 years obviously Oregon doesn't feel like they've recruited or developed a guy to the same level that we have here in Cheney, Washington. So I'll be honest with you, that can be a little bit frustrating, and I would have to ask the question, because I don't see myself finding my next QB at Linfield.

You know Coach B is pissed when he's taking (not-so-)veiled shots at Oregon. ****ing love it!

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 06:40 AM
First - to imagine that Oregon has had the recruiting prowess of Ohio State isn't naive, but isn't realistic either.

Second - this is a perfect opportunity to fill a hole while developing a QB through a redshirt - Morgan Mahalak is the next QB in line (despite Jeff Lockie being the #2 all year behind Mariota).

Mariota, Darron Thomas and Dennis Dixon all did the same thing.
Kind of what i was thinking.

It seems like the Ducks have had a pretty good line of QBs. Most schools tend to have a year here or there with a "stop gap" somewhere

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 06:51 AM
What, if anything, does this say about Adam's relationship with EWU/staff while he was there? I understand big time opportunity but was there something else...maybe?

CommishBigSmooth
February 10th, 2015, 07:17 AM
From a Fargo radio host's Twitter feed (Mike McFeely for those who care)

"With Vernon Adams gone, maybe Eastern Washington can use the scholarship on a defensive player who shows a slight interest in tackling."

(nods head)

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 07:21 AM
From a Fargo radio host's Twitter feed (Mike McFeely for those who care)

"With Vernon Adams gone, maybe Eastern Washington can use the scholarship on a defensive player who shows a slight interest in tackling."

(nods head)
HA

bluehenbillk
February 10th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Best part of that, for those not interested in watching the whole thing:

You know Coach B is pissed when he's taking (not-so-)veiled shots at Oregon. ****ing love it!

And if these guys were offered a job at Oregon, you don't think they would be taking it? Sounds very hypocritical to me...

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 07:54 AM
And if these guys were offered a job at Oregon, you don't think they would be taking it? Sounds very hypocritical to me...
Shhhhh.......

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 08:29 AM

If they were offered a shot at the job with 5 other candidates already on staff and couldn't start until August then yes.

I'm guessing the EWU staff feels VA is taking a big chance with no contingency plan that may very well not work out in his best interest. I'm also guessing there are some behind the scenes things that rubbed them the wrong way.

But he's gone, so at this point, it's simply Beau taking a little shot at the next opponent. Not typically his style but I can't blame him.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Let's be blunt, Baldwin and EWU see VA as an investment they took in a kid with mountains of talent. People forget VA was always a roll of the dice. They invested in him, got him to be an elite player perhaps with an NFL future, and now Oregon goes in and reaps the benefits from their hard work.

In English soccer, if a lower-division team, say, Chesterfield United, develops a great player, and Manchester United wants him to play for them, they frequently offer a contract that gives Chesterfield United a cut of money and/or a cut of future salary. In ways, that seems more fair than EWU investing in VA for years.

Of course, VA gets his degree from EWU in any case, so you could argue EWU delivered to VA what they promised him.

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I'm guessing the EWU staff feels VA is taking a big chance with no contingency plan that may very well not work out in his best interest..
I'm guessing the EWU staff doesn't give a flying **** about his contingency plan or what happens to him if it doesn't work out.

They are hurt over what this does to them....not Oregon....not VA...not the rest of the Big Sky.

They have zero ****s to give about anyone other than their team, and that's perfectly fine and to be expected. You will never convince me they are upset because it might not work for VA.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be blunt, Baldwin and EWU see VA as an investment they took in a kid with mountains of talent. People forget VA was always a roll of the dice. They invested in him, got him to be an elite player perhaps with an NFL future, and now Oregon goes in and reaps the benefits from their hard work.

In English soccer, if a lower-division team, say, Chesterfield United, develops a great player, and Manchester United wants him to play for them, they frequently offer a contract that gives Chesterfield United a cut of money and/or a cut of future salary. In ways, that seems more fair than EWU investing in VA for years.

Of course, VA gets his degree from EWU in any case, so you could argue EWU delivered to VA what they promised him.
and VA delivered to them what he promised.

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I'm guessing the EWU staff doesn't give a flying **** about his contingency plan or what happens to him if it doesn't work out.

They are hurt over what this does to them....not Oregon....not VA...not the rest of the Big Sky.

They have zero ****s to give about anyone other than their team, and that's perfectly fine and to be expected. You will never convince me they are upset because it might not work for VA.

- - - Updated - - -

and VA delivered to them what he promised.

Quoted from the Redzone:

"On 700 ESPN yesterday while discussing the VA transfer Beau Baldwin said coaches at Oregon should looking at their program and asking themselves whats wrong with their program, that they have to raid an FCS school for their players. He said " you don't see Urban Meyer looking for his next QB at Northern Iowa".

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Quoted from the Redzone:

"On 700 ESPN yesterday while discussing the VA transfer Beau Baldwin said coaches at Oregon should looking at their program and asking themselves whats wrong with their program, that they have to raid an FCS school for their players. He said " you don't see Urban Meyer looking for his next QB at Northern Iowa".

Baldwin just needs to stop taking interviews about this. He isn't looking great with all this bitterness.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Baldwin just needs to stop taking interviews about this. He isn't looking great with all this bitterness.

Not a good look for Baldwin. Especially not a good look because Baldwin actually gets a SHOT against Oregon in the fall. If there was ever a time and place to shut up and quietly plan for September, this is it.

centennial
February 10th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Not a good look for Baldwin. Especially not a good look because Baldwin actually gets a SHOT against Oregon in the fall. If there was ever a time and place to shut up and quietly plan for September, this is it.
From what I hear Oregon is trying to buy that game out. Could be rumors.
Also let's not pretend EWU is more than really long shot. Oregon is an elite FBS team.

MR. CHICKEN
February 10th, 2015, 10:01 AM

20580......YEAH...TAKE ON.....O.......WHIFF OUT ADAMS.......EVEN IFIN' ADAMS SUITED UP FO' E. WASH.....NADA...ZIPPY....ZEEE-RO......&.......NONE...xrolleyesx....AWK!

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 10:02 AM

Why?

Is this chalk board material from an FCS opponent?

Does it make Baldwin look bad in the eyes of prospective coaching opportunities or recruits?

It's re meat thrown locally to the fan base and his players at a time they need to rally.

Mole hill...lol.

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 10:05 AM
From what I hear Oregon is trying to buy that game out. Could be rumors.
Also let's not pretend EWU is more than really long shot. Oregon is an elite FBS team.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as we also have at UNI and MSU OOC. Would be nice to bring in a DII and warm up the VA's replacement.

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quoted from the Redzone:

Did you see UNI's QB play last season?

The D3 school 15 minutes from UNI's campus wouldn't look to Cedar Falls for their next QB either....so...that's a pretty ****ing dumb quote

Salty isn't a good look for Beau.

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Did you see UNI's QB play last season?

The D3 school 15 minutes from UNI's campus wouldn't look to Cedar Falls for their next QB either....so...that's a pretty ****ing dumb quote

Salty isn't a good look for Beau.

You're taking this too seriously...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Hypothetical.

Suppose Oregon just "decided" to double the guarantee paid EWU for their game as compensation for VA. Could anybody do anything about it, the NCAA, the Pac 12, the other P5 teams?

MR. CHICKEN
February 10th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Hypothetical.

Suppose Oregon just "decided" to double the guarantee paid EWU for their game as compensation for VA. Could anybody do anything about it, the NCAA, the Pac 12, the other P5 teams?

20581....AH'M SURE....DEY'ED STUDY IT.....AN' POSSIBLE RULES COOD BE ESTABLISHED...FO' FUTURE....FOOLERY...IFIN'....DEEMED...APPROPRIATE. .....................xscanx.....AWK!

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Hypothetical.

Oregon doesn't owe EWU anything except the current contract.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Oregon doesn't owe EWU anything except the current contract.

Damn son! You are looking good! BTW I got zero problem with Baldwin tossing a little red meat, it's cogent and funny. He may want to back off thought cuz he did a fairly masterful job of getting right up to the line on it. xlolx

If you are looking at non EWU fans and 1/2 thought it was too much and the other 1/2 think it was just under the line then he nailed it. I really do see all of this as a huge tip of the cap to Baldwin, his staff, EWU, etc. When something makes you look good just ride it out and don't sully it.

REALBird
February 10th, 2015, 11:11 AM
The football Gods giveth and the football Gods taketh away! For every Vernon Adams, and there are few who make the jump from FCS to FBS, the FCS schools have reaped the benefits of plenty of kids bringing their talents to our schools.

I'm a firm believer in finishing what you started, and Vernon Adams would/could have cemented his legacy at EWU for years to come had he seen it through. Now he'll be another kid fighting for a position with no guarantees, he will get a cool Nike letterman jacket and wear lots of cool uniforms. But unless he's successful quick, fast and in a hurry......he will be the measuring stick for all future FCS to FBS 5th year transfers. Kids made his own bed, hope he can handle it if Oregon takes a step back this year, because there will be plenty of "He was an FCS QB for a reason" comments to deal with if he stumbles.

That being said......it happens in basketball all the time. We've lost kids to Niagra, Illinois, Indiana just to name a few. That whole 5th year transfer rule can be a blessing or curse depending on your school.

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 11:22 AM
The football Gods giveth and the football Gods taketh away! For every Vernon Adams, and there are few who make the jump from FCS to FBS, the FCS schools have reaped the benefits of plenty of kids bringing their talents to our schools.

I'm a firm believer in finishing what you started, and Vernon Adams would/could have cemented his legacy at EWU for years to come had he seen it through. Now he'll be another kid fighting for a position with no guarantees, he will get a cool Nike letterman jacket and wear lots of cool uniforms. But unless he's successful quick, fast and in a hurry......he will be the measuring stick for all future FCS to FBS 5th year transfers. Kids made his own bed, hope he can handle it if Oregon takes a step back this year, because there will be plenty of "He was an FCS QB for a reason" comments to deal with if he stumbles.

That being said......it happens in basketball all the time. We've lost kids to Niagra, Illinois, Indiana just to name a few. That whole 5th year transfer rule can be a blessing or curse depending on your school.
EWU doesn't have the grad program he is enrolling in, FWIW.

So for him to continue he would have had to delay graduation, pick up a second major and not graduate (hurt EWU's grad rate/APR), or get a grad degree in something else.

That's the entire basis for the grad transfer rule - the school you're leaving can't have that program/equivalent program

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 11:23 AM
EWU doesn't have the grad program he is enrolling in, FWIW.

So for him to continue he would have had to delay graduation, pick up a second major and not graduate (hurt EWU's grad rate/APR), or get a grad degree in something else.

That's the entire basis for the grad transfer rule - the school you're leaving can't have that program/equivalent program

Something tells me he's not finishing his grad degree if things work out like he hopes.

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Something tells me he's not finishing his grad degree if things work out like he hopes.
Maybe not, but that's not the issue now, is it?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe not, but that's not the issue now, is it?

Nah, I'm pretty sure that they picked a program at Oregon that would make the transfer possible.

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Nah, I'm pretty sure that they picked a program at Oregon that would make the transfer possible.
Could be.

Can you prove it?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Could be.

Can you prove it?

Why would it matter? Everything was done above board.

kalm
February 10th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Could be.

Can you prove it?

Jeebus...lmao

Bisonator
February 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM
If I'm Baldwin I take the high road. Definitely don't want to look bad to future recruits or job offers.

You got to wonder what the Oregon locker room is going to be like though for VA. He better do well or there are going to be some daggers ready I would think.

dudeitsaid
February 10th, 2015, 02:42 PM

I could tell your wife how much better off she would be with me with my giant bank account and good looks. Some may understand why she'd take me up on the offer, but most would be pissed at me for stealing your wife after all the care and provision you've given her.

It's clear from comments made by the coach and AD that they support VA in his venture, and understand why he's doing it, but they don't appreciate the way Oregon approached the situation. Whether they would take a job with Oregon is an entirely different scenario. It would be hypocritical if EWU now went in and poached the star senior player from a D2 to fill a one year gap. They obviously think that's the part that's wrong in the situation.

clenz
February 10th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I could tell your wife how much better off she would be with me with my giant bank account and good looks. Some may understand why she'd take me up on the offer, but most would be pissed at me for stealing your wife after all the care and provision you've given her.

That's....not.....a good example.....at all....

Yeah.....

No.....

dudeitsaid
February 10th, 2015, 03:03 PM
That's....not.....a good example.....at all....

Yeah.....

No.....

Sorry. I forgot my tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

Grizzlies82
February 11th, 2015, 01:14 AM

It's clear from comments made by the coach and AD that they support VA in his venture, and understand why he's doing it, but they don't appreciate the way Oregon approached the situation. Whether they would take a job with Oregon is an entirely different scenario. It would be hypocritical if EWU now went in and poached the star senior player from a D2 to fill a one year gap. They obviously think that's the part that's wrong in the situation.

Disagree in part. The coach & AD certainly don't appreciate Oregon's offer and they do understand why Lil Shoota's doing it. However, from their comments I don't think they support him. The whole you stole my wife analogy, or "We developed the kid" argument doesn't hold water. EWU did give Vernon a chance. That is a fact. Yet the little bugger played his heart out and produced above and beyond expectations. I think he paid "his debt" in full. The anger from the AD and coach is just a reflection of their concern over losing a final year of the best QB the school has had. Their plans for 2015 took a hit and it hurts. That is understandable. Yet I too think the coach should just shut up about it. It's a done deal. Start talking about the competition among the remaining QB's not the one who left.

This is such an unusual situation. Yet it is uncommon because it requires: 1. A rare talent. 2. An athlete to be graduating early. 3. An athlete willing to take the risk of falling flat. This is not something which will become common place, though it may become more common. When it's all said and done, EWU wasn't just Vernon Adams, Lil Shoota is taking a big risk, and potentially it could have a big payout for him. EWU got its money's worth out of him. I wish the little bugger well. I hope he excels at Oregon. Further, I hope Montana kicks EWU's ass this year with their replacement QB having an epic bad day like MSU's QB had just so I can hear the Eagle fans moan more about V. Adams. :)

bluehenbillk
February 11th, 2015, 08:07 AM

You may have me with the good looks, but the $$ you're facing an uphill battle...

laxVik
February 11th, 2015, 09:07 AM
EWU doesn't own him. He's graduating. It's EWU's AD and coach who look like fools imo.

kalm
February 11th, 2015, 09:20 AM
EWU doesn't own him. He's graduating. It's EWU's AD and coach who look like fools imo.

I'm glad he could loose the shackles, flee the plantation, and pursue his masters!

xlolx

dudeitsaid
February 11th, 2015, 09:49 AM

Clearly. Every other coach would have said, "What a pleasant surprise! Of course you have our star player. Your the FBS, we're flattered! And we can't wait to face off against the QB we thought would be leading the charge for us against you next year!" What fools for saying otherwise.

Daytripper
February 11th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Baldwin should have said..."We would like to thank Vernon for his hard work and for helping us achieve success on the football field. While, of course, I believe Vernon would be best served pursuing his graduate degree with EWU, we will always be proud to say that VA received his undergraduate college degree from Eastern Washington University."

How freakin' difficult is that to say......?

Silenoz
February 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I'm glad he could loose the shackles, flee the plantation, and pursue his masters!

xlolx

Jones, Kaufmann, now Adams... it's almost like people are getting out of Dodge the first chance they can!

I kid, mostly

Grizalltheway
February 11th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Jones, Kaufmann, now Adams... it's almost like people are getting out of Dodge the first chance they can!

I kid, mostly

Dude, Kaufmann is tearing it up on Sundays!

MR. CHICKEN
February 11th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Baldwin should have said..."We would like to thank Vernon for his hard work and for helping us achieve success on the football field. While, of course, I believe Vernon would be best served pursuing his graduate degree with EWU, we will always be proud to say that VA received his undergraduate college degree from Eastern Washington University."

20584......PRETTY HARD.....'TWEEN...CLENCHED TEETH.......BRAWK!

kalm
February 11th, 2015, 07:27 PM

He's already said most of that except the last part. Why would he comment on a non-athlete eastern student who's about to play for another school?

clenz
February 11th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Why would he comment on a non-athlete eastern student who's about to play for another school?
Exactly.

He should have never said a word to begin with beyond "I have no comment on players that are not on our roster"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kalm
February 11th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Exactly.

He should have never said a word to begin with beyond "I have no comment on players that are not on our roster"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's kind of a big story with at least the local media, and EWU fans (not UNI, SHSU, NDSU, and UM) might want to know the skinny. Sorry your sensibilities have not been respected in this...;)

veinup
February 11th, 2015, 09:57 PM
You may have me with the good looks, but the $$ you're facing an uphill battle...

are you saying you have a lot of money in your bank account

kalm
February 11th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Oh no's….Beau said some disparaging things about the Ducks...xnodx

To say Baldwin had some strong words would be an understatement.
"I disagree with a lot of it," Baldwin said of the rule allowing Adams to be eligible right away. "Both with Oregon and the NCAA, but I want what's best for Vernon."
"We're not rolling out the red carpet for a guy we are going to play week one...It's not what the rule is intended for."
Baldwin says Adams will not be able to train with the rest of the Eagles football team and will not be able to use the team's facilities. Instead he'll have to find his own way to workout in the gym and to also figure out how he'll do his own football workouts.
Vernon Adams arrival date to Eugene isn't also set in stone according to Baldwin. He says any date that's been thrown out so far is just something that's a "work in progress." Adams stated he'd like to be in Eugene by June 13th, the day after he graduates.
Baldwin also sent a shot across the bow at Oregon and head coach Mark Helfrich (http://247sports.com/Coach/Mark-Helfrich-28)for not having a guy behind Marcus Mariota (http://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Mariota-7219) ready.
"We were the ones who developed him [Adams] from a level out of high school, he wasn't at that level. When you are Oregon and over the last three or four years and you're not recruiting a number of guys who can fill in when Marcus Mariota leaves, what are you doing over there," Baldwin asked.
"It's the truth. That part is just baffling. I think there should always be two or three guys loaded up and ready to go."

http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/EWU-head-coach-asks-why-Oregon-didnt-develop-a-QB-post-Mariota-35578939