PDA

View Full Version : Full cost of attendance passes 79-1

bluedog
January 19th, 2015, 12:22 PM
NCAA Full cost of attendance passes 79-1 - ESPN http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=12185230&src=desktop(Share from CM Browser)

Full cost of attendance passes 79-1
Updated: January 18, 2015, 12:25 AM ET
By Mitch Sherman | ESPN.com

FORT WASHINGTON, Md. -- The power players in collegiate athletics enacted historic change Saturday at the NCAA convention, passing the first package of autonomous legislation, headlined by a full cost-of-attendance measure that will supplement student-athletes' scholarships with unprecedented dollars.

"It's a big day for student-athletes," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "The benefits now available to student-athletes are more significant. This is a big step forward and a response to a changing circumstance for the 21st-century athlete."

The discussion and vote Saturday outside Washington, D.C., thrust fully into the spotlight the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 after the Division I Board of Directors granted autonomy to the Power 5 conferences last August to create rules free of the full NCAA membership.

Full cost of attendance passed on a 79-1 vote from the panel comprised of 15 student-athletes -- a historic event in its own right -- and the 65 schools of the football-driven leagues.

Boston College cast the lone dissenting vote, according to NCAA tabulations.

Stipends, determined by institutions under federally created guidelines, have been estimated at $2,000 to $4,000 annually. They are designed to cover the cost-of-living expenses that fall outside athletic scholarships.

Group of Five and other non-football playing Division I conferences can opt to enact the proposals passed Saturday as early as next fall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk