PDA

View Full Version : From 24 teams to 1, FCS knows about playoffs

Lehigh Football Nation
January 10th, 2015, 08:18 PM
FRISCO, Texas -- There's no reason the big boys can't have an expanded playoff. In fact, after watching the raucous finale of the Football Championship Series title game Saturday, the better question is how could they not want one.

Two drives of 75-plus yards. A quarterback fake that resulted in a 58-yard scoring run. A 33-yard bomb on third-and-10. A blocked PAT.

And that was just in the last 90 seconds of North Dakota State's 29-27 victory over Illinois State. A victory that gave the Bison their fourth consecutive FCS title, by the way.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2015/01/10/fcs-championship-game-north-dakota-state-playoff-illinois-state/21574477/

xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
January 10th, 2015, 09:50 PM
What players really want is to know how they stack up against the competition. When it comes to that, nobody does it better than the FCS.
A-****ing-men!!!

BEAR
January 10th, 2015, 11:05 PM
What kills it for FCS fans is the waiting weeks and weeks for the championship game. It was a good matchup but just like the FBS title game the thrill of the playoffs loses its luster when two beat up teams get several weeks to recover and scheme and plan. Its almost like the season restarted in ANOTHER year. Dont get me wrong it was a very good game but the hype disappeared even more when the station airing it had NO pregame, constantly talked about another big game, and got announcers that picked ONE play the Bison used and wore that out like beer glass in a Rev tailgate. Lets move the game up to December sometime. The Two teams on that field, beat up, worn out, and with only a week to scheme would present a truer picture of that team in the playoffs IMO.

bonarae
January 11th, 2015, 02:27 AM
I agree that the NC game should be moved up to a few days after Christmas, preferably before the year ends...

TennBison
January 11th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Two weeks after the semis would have been great and should be the norm. That way family members can set up travel, and the players get time to heal up without losing their edge. And they can still have a break at home with family for X-Mas holidays.

Catsfan90
January 11th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Two weeks after the semis would have been great and should be the norm. That way family members can set up travel, and the players get time to heal up without losing their edge. And they can still have a break at home with family for X-Mas holidays.

I agree with this, I could even see it being held on a friday night. I feel as though night games make it more exciting!

As for the ESPN issue, We will always have to deal with ESPN that fact will never change. And lets face it, they are more interested in basketball than they are about the FCS. With that being said though, even I was still upset over how little coverage they gave that game.

TennBison
January 11th, 2015, 06:06 AM
I agree with this, I could even see it being held on a friday night. I feel as though night games make it more exciting!

As for the ESPN issue, We will always have to deal with ESPN that fact will never change. And lets face it, they are more interested in basketball than they are about the FCS. With that being said though, even I was still upset over how little coverage they gave that game.

Pisses me off that 80% of the half time show was all about the FBS championship game.

Catsfan90
January 11th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Pisses me off that 80% of the half time show was all about the FBS championship game.

I figured some of it would be, but I was hoping that atleast the first half would be about the FCS! wuld loved to have seen a playoff recap type video. Or some sort of promo. It was almsot like watching a regular season game the way they treated it. For god sakes, they are doing a mega cast for the FBS! can we atleast even get flagship coverae for our championship?

catamount man
January 11th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Another network is going to have to come along with a focus on FCS only. Period.

BisonBacker
January 11th, 2015, 09:57 AM
What kills it for FCS fans is the waiting weeks and weeks for the championship game. It was a good matchup but just like the FBS title game the thrill of the playoffs loses its luster when two beat up teams get several weeks to recover and scheme and plan. Its almost like the season restarted in ANOTHER year. Dont get me wrong it was a very good game but the hype disappeared even more when the station airing it had NO pregame, constantly talked about another big game, and got announcers that picked ONE play the Bison used and wore that out like beer glass in a Rev tailgate. Lets move the game up to December sometime. The Two teams on that field, beat up, worn out, and with only a week to scheme would present a truer picture of that team in the playoffs IMO.

Yeah that's a great way to showcase a half empty stadium. 1 week during the holiday season to plan travel. That won't work.

Da Herd
January 11th, 2015, 10:04 AM
It pissed me off when they missed a play when the bison were in the red zone to give a basketball update!

Catsfan90
January 11th, 2015, 10:12 AM
It pissed me off when they missed a play when the bison were in the red zone to give a basketball update!

Also, kickoff was once again delayed due to a basketball game.

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Jerry Kill, former SIU coach and current Minnesota Gophers coach is on the radio saying a 4 team playoff is enough. Says the kids play too many games and need time off. WTF, Kill has been fully assimilated to FBS.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2015, 10:44 AM

That was disgusting.

ESPN better talk non-stop about the NFL playoffs and some crappy NBA game during the BCS championship.

Catsfan90
January 11th, 2015, 10:47 AM
That was disgusting.

ESPN better talk non-stop about the NFL playoffs and some crappy NBA game during the BCS championship.

They won't. They are literally broadcasting either the game, or something to do with the game on every single ESPN network. Callingit the MEGACAST.

citdog
January 11th, 2015, 10:51 AM
They won't. They are literally broadcasting either the game, or something to do with the game on every single ESPN network. Callingit the MEGACAST.

FLINT, MICHIGAN MEGABOWL!

Catsfan90
January 11th, 2015, 10:57 AM
FLINT, MICHIGAN MEGABOWL!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm82/VeniceDre/megabowl.jpg

TennBison
January 11th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Jerry Kill, former SIU coach and current Minnesota Gophers coach is on the radio saying a 4 game playoff is enough. Says the kids play too many games and need time off. WTF, Kill has been fully assimilated to FBS.

But yet he was happy to have his kids play in a bowl game that had no implications on the national championship. A game designed only to make money no less, one more game that his kids could get hurt. Yeah, even though his kids played lots of games he was happy to play one more. LOL

Bisonwinagn
January 11th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Jerry Kill, former SIU coach and current Minnesota Gophers coach is on the radio saying a 4 game playoff is enough. Says the kids play too many games and need time off. WTF, Kill has been fully assimilated to FBS.

Why would he want to work full time when he can work part time for the same salary? Of course the coaches don't want to play more games.

Cocky
January 11th, 2015, 05:42 PM

4 games is the amount of playoff games NDSU and ISUr played.

If if he is talking a 4 game total? Is he wanting a consolation game between UAT and FSU?

No_Skill
January 11th, 2015, 05:55 PM
4 games is the amount of playoff games NDSU and ISUr played.

If if he is talking a 4 game total? Is he wanting a consolation game between UAT and FSU?

I'm guessing he meant 4 teams not games.

Gil Dobie
January 12th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I'm guessing he meant 4 teams not games.

Yes, meant to type 4 team playoff

danefan
January 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM
ESPN is creating an early SuperBowl with the FBS playoffs. They'll care less and less about FCS as this gets bigger and bigger.

Think about the opportunity they had this year - both FCS and FBS championship in the same city within 4 days of each other. No promotional tie at all even with NDSU which ESPN loves.

It's not going to happen. It was a great game and I hope Albnay makes it one day with or without an FBS halftime show.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2015, 09:03 AM
ESPN is creating an early SuperBowl with the FBS playoffs. They'll care less and less about FCS as this gets bigger and bigger.

Think about the opportunity they had this year - both FCS and FBS championship in the same city within 4 days of each other. No promotional tie at all even with NDSU which ESPN loves.

It's not going to happen. It was a great game and I hope Albnay makes it one day with or without an FBS halftime show.

Maybe when FOX Sports 1 bids on the TV rights to the FCS playoffs things will improve.

Sycamore62
January 12th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Maybe when FOX Sports 1 bids on the TV rights to the FCS playoffs things will improve.

I could see this. If they wanted it im sure the NCAA would take their money too.

Bisonator
January 12th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I could see this. If they wanted it im sure the NCAA would take their money too.

I wonder though with ESPN having everything else I think they basically dictate to the NCAA. ESPN simply outbids everyone to keep their monopoly growing then just throw us on ESPN3. Does the NCAA have the balls or the want to even stick up for FCS. Doubtful.

Catsfan90
January 12th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Even without the pomp and circumstance, I don't see fox sports 1 as being able to do as well as ESPN. They are not as widely recognised, and in fact I didn't even really know it existed. The best bet would be to somehow tie it in with the FBS championship which also has a very low chance of ever happening.

Bisonator
January 12th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Even without the pomp and circumstance, I don't see fox sports 1 as being able to do as well as ESPN. They are not as widely recognised, and in fact I didn't even really know it existed. The best bet would be to somehow tie it in with the FBS championship which also has a very low chance of ever happening.

It basically was and look what happened? ESPN does not care about FCS, they could have easily had some promo's, a pregame show, given a lot more time at the half for it if they chose to but they do not. It's time for FCS schools to start putting some pressure on the NCAA to get a better deal for the PO rights that includes some promotion for the subdivision!

Sycamore62
January 12th, 2015, 10:33 AM
It basically was and look what happened? ESPN does not care about FCS, they could have easily had some promo's, a pregame show, given a lot more time at the half for it if they chose to but they do not. It's time for FCS schools to start putting some pressure on the NCAA to get a better deal for the PO rights that includes some promotion for the subdivision!

i have some other thoughts that ill try to post when i get a chance, but If im not mistaken, The NCAA puts on the FCS championship game. I dont think this BCS game is put on by the NCAA or that they are the ones profiting and putting out bids for coverage/location.

I would put a large % of the problem on that. The BCS/FBS tourney people dont care about FCS

putter
January 12th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I am all for the Fox angle. The head of the NCAA used to be at Montana State. Lets e-mail them and lobby to have the FCS broadcasts given to someone who gives a rip. ESPN is even getting the MEAC out of the playoffs so they have another "classic" game.....ugh.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2015, 11:11 AM

That may be true but as the FCS would be "the only show in town" at FOX, I'm guessing they'd get the lions' share of the coverage and attention.

Sycamore62
January 12th, 2015, 11:39 AM
That may be true but as the FCS would be "the only show in town" at FOX, I'm guessing they'd get the lions' share of the coverage and attention.

Fox has had a bunch of the BCS bowls in the past havent they? Im pretty sure that group has pretty deep pockets as well dont they?