PDA

View Full Version : The new College Football Hall of Fame class

Mr. C
January 9th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Just received the announcement on the new College Football Hall of Fame class and I am a bit underwhelmed by the FCS representation. The big news is that, despite his ethical problems, that Youngstown State's Jim Tressel was elected in his second year on the ballot, even though such coaches as Florida A&M's Rudy Hubbard (the first black national championship coach in FCS), New Hampshire's Bill Bowes and Lehigh's John Whitehead are still waiting their turn.

The other FCS honoree is the much-deserving 1992 Walter Payton Award winner Michael Payton, who quarterbacked Marshall to the 1992 FCS title.

Bill Snyder of Kansas State was the other coach selected in a well-deserved pick. Joining Payton among the players were:

• Nebraska linebacker Trev Alberts
• Arizona State linebacker Bob Breunig
• Millsaps defensive end Sean Brewer from Division III
• Pittsburgh offensive tackle Rugen Brown
• Florida split end Wes Chandler
• Notre Dame split end Thom Gatewood
• Yale running back Dick Jauron
• Michigan state halfback Clinton Jones
• Washington offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy
• Michigan running back Rob Lytle
• Marshall quarterback Michael Payton
• Texas Tech linebacker Zach Thomas

A number of these players were on my ballot. Great to see Yale's Dick Jauron on there in particular.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2015, 10:45 AM
The National Football Foundation, which runs the Hall of Fame voting, changed the way we voted this year and combined FCS, Division II, Division III and NAIA into one section, with a limit of voting for just two candidates, making it very difficult for players from these ranks to be voted in. There used to be separate categories for each, where you could vote for two players from each category. I did not favor the change.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2015, 10:52 AM
A person barred from NCAA competition due to steroids made the hall, as well as someone who is still barred by the NCAA from coaching. Not the Hall's finest hour.

Brian Bosworth is the steroid guy, just to be clear.

Meanwhile, Erk Russell sits on the outside due to a technicality. #Joke

Mr. C
January 9th, 2015, 11:37 AM
There is a character clause in the College Football Hall of Fame voting, too.

One Hall of Fame name that didn't get on my earlier list is the fine Kentucky DE Art Still, who played from 1974-77.

citdog
January 9th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Mr. C when will Brian Ruff get some consideration? Jack Douglas? Stump Mitchell?

Laker
January 9th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Mr C, didn't see that you had already posted this. I had just posted my own and now saw this one. Sorry.

Why is there a technicality with Erk Russell?

ValleyTalk
January 9th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Congratulations YSU President James P. Tressel!

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 9th, 2015, 12:52 PM
It's silly that Erk Russell is ineligible for coaching just two years short of the minimum number of years required.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM
It's silly that Erk Russell is ineligible for coaching just two years short of the minimum number of years required.

Tressel coached the required 10 years at OSU. Of course, that includes his vacated year.

citdog
January 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Congratulations YSU President Cheaterl!

accuracy is essential to liberty

ysubigred
January 9th, 2015, 02:21 PM
accuracy is essential to liberty

Jim Tressel http://media.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/photo/2014/08/18/15646728-standard.jpg>Jubal Early Maj Genl
http://www.shenandoah.stonesentinels.com/Art/CedarCreek/Other/EarlyJ.jpg = http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Cima_da_Conegliano,_God_the_Father.jpg

IBleedYellow
January 9th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Seriously you YSU guy would probably lick Tressels gooch of it meant another National Title for your school.

He ****ing cheated, and should be gone.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Mr. C
January 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Mr. C when will Brian Ruff get some consideration? Jack Douglas? Stump Mitchell?
I hear you. I bug the NFF folks just about every year in one way, or another. None of those three has even made a ballot yet to be considered by those of us who vote.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2015, 06:08 PM
There has been a petition drive in the past to consider the two preparation years that Erk Russell put into the program at Georgia Southern as part of his 10 years, which would make him eligible, but the NFF hasn't done anything with that. I've written columns about why Erk should be in.

Bill
January 9th, 2015, 10:19 PM

+1 for Stump Mitchell!!

By the way, Brian Bosworth was a fantastic linebacker...steroids or not. Watch the films...he was incredible at OU.

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2015, 10:40 PM
+1 for Stump Mitchell!!

By the way, Brian Bosworth was a fantastic linebacker...steroids or not. Watch the films...he was incredible at OU.

20479....BUT CHOPPED LIVER.......IN DUH PRO'S.......HE HAD UH PART TIME JOB @ GM...PUT SODA BOTTLES IN CAR DOORS.....ASSULTED CHIX...IN CLUBS....YEAH BOZ WAS UH PIECE O' WORK..MAH FATHERAH-INN-LAW/BROTHER-IN-LAWS...WORKED @ CHRYSLER.....KEPT ME IN CUDA'S/ROAD-CHICKEN'S....THANKFULLAH...AH AVOIDED....DUH CHEVELLE'S.....DOODLE-DOO!

ngineer
January 10th, 2015, 09:19 AM
There is a character clause in the College Football Hall of Fame voting, too.

One Hall of Fame name that didn't get on my earlier list is the fine Kentucky DE Art Still, who played from 1974-77.

What a joke.

bulldog10jw
January 10th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Great player, great person. Congratulations.

http://www.buffalobills.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/article-assets/Story-Photos/2015-january/jauron-nff.jpg

Mr. C
January 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM

http://www.buffalobills.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/article-assets/Story-Photos/2015-january/jauron-nff.jpg

I had voted for Dick Jauron since I got the invite to vote. I also vote for soccer-style place kicking legend Charlie Gogolak from Cornell every year.

Mr. C
January 10th, 2015, 04:21 PM
20479....BUT CHOPPED LIVER.......IN DUH PRO'S.......HE HAD UH PART TIME JOB @ GM...PUT SODA BOTTLES IN CAR DOORS.....ASSULTED CHIX...IN CLUBS....YEAH BOZ WAS UH PIECE O' WORK..MAH FATHERAH-INN-LAW/BROTHER-IN-LAWS...WORKED @ CHRYSLER.....KEPT ME IN CUDA'S/ROAD-CHICKEN'S....THANKFULLAH...AH AVOIDED....DUH CHEVELLE'S.....DOODLE-DOO!
Do you have the any of the Boz's action-hero movies in your DVD, or video collection?

bulldog10jw
January 10th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I had voted for Dick Jauron since I got the invite to vote. I also vote for soccer-style place kicking legend Charlie Gogolak from Cornell every year.

Jauron was a bit in Ed Marinaro's shadow during his playing days. Plus he was unassuming and quiet. Glad to see him get the recognition he deserves. Thanks.

By the way, regarding the Gogolaks. Pete was Cornell. Charlie was Princeton.

Mr. C
January 10th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Jauron was a bit in Ed Marinaro's shadow during his playing days. Plus he was unassuming and quiet. Glad to see him get the recognition he deserves. Thanks.

You are right on the Gogolaks. My error. Both should be in the Hall of Fame for their contributions to modern football. Great story of their harrowing escape from Communist Hungary, too.

bulldog10jw
January 10th, 2015, 05:05 PM
You are right on the Gogolaks. My error. Both should be in the Hall of Fame for their contributions to modern football. Great story of their harrowing escape from Communist Hungary, too.

Pete was also a catalyst in the AFL-NFL merger. His signing by the Giants, after starting his career in Buffalo, helped escalate the war between the leagues that eventually led to the merger.

ysubigred
January 12th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Seriously you YSU guy would probably lick Tressels gooch of it meant another National Title for your school.

He ****ing cheated, and should be gone.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator
Nah.. YSU has plenty of North Dakota transplants to do that for us :D

Mr. C
January 12th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Pete was also a catalyst in the AFL-NFL merger. His signing by the Giants, after starting his career in Buffalo, helped escalate the war between the leagues that eventually led to the merger.
Pete wrote an excellent biography on the escape from Hungary and his college and NFL careers. I have collected books on AFL history for years.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 12th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Had the pleasure of watching him play once for Swampscott (MA) HS and he was a man among boys!! Did the placekicking too IIRC!!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 12th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Trev Alberts has been a major contributing factor in NDSU's title run. Killing the football program at Nebraska Omaha opened up a valuable recruiting area for us.

Thanks Trev!

Laker
January 12th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Trev Alberts has been a major contributing factor in NDSU's title run. Killing the football program at Nebraska Omaha opened up a valuable recruiting area for us.

Thanks Trev!

Most of our offensive line at MSU-Mankato is from the Omaha area. We also got some of their transfers when they dropped football.

Ivytalk
January 13th, 2015, 06:05 AM

Jauron single-handedly killed us in The Game my freshman year ('72). Good on him!