PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh/Lafayette Preview Up

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
It's up.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Think: The 2000 Presidential election, or the Virginia '06 Senate race.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM
It's up.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Think: The 2000 Presidential election, or the Virginia '06 Senate race.

As in "too close to call"? Because you didn't call it!:rolleyes:

carney2
November 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
No prediction?! C'mon! You're a homer; be a homer.

And again with "The Rivalry;" even "THE Rivalry." Lacking in...everything.

Here's wishing you the worst of everything. (Smiley face intentionally omitted.)

65 Pard
November 15th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Nice column....but he seems a little doubtful about LU's chances here....

I think we need a psych major to analyze the thought process that led to all the hedging.... :->

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I've just heard through the grapevine that Lehigh might have found their successer to Threatt via transfer. I think a lot of people know him and would be very very happy to have him.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Nice column....but he seems a little doubtful about LU's chances here....

I think we need a psych major to analyze the thought process that led to all the hedging.... :->

Us Lehigh people have learned after the last 2 years to keep our mouths shut. The most interesting trend about this game and the previous 2 is Lafayette's record against Lehigh when entering the game with 7+ wins, something like 23-1.

ngineer
November 15th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Comes down to special teams in the tight ones. Ours have been better of late after a slow start this year. Frankie T with some nice punt returns and Pastore getting great field position on the KO returns. But it will be Leo with his improved punting and clutch field goal at the end, 31-28.:thumbsup:

cosmo here
November 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I've just heard through the grapevine that Lehigh might have found their successer to Threatt via transfer. I think a lot of people know him and would be very very happy to have him.

West Virginia (and Mark Borda's successor at Beca)'s Adam Bednarik?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
West Virginia (and Mark Borda's successor at Beca)'s Adam Bednarik?

Yuppers....

cosmo here
November 15th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Yuppers....

Great athlete . . he's no Dan Tavani though :)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evel Knievel hasn’t been injured this many times. Bednarik's list of ailments is so long that his medical charts are dollied in. So far Bednarik has injured both shoulders, suffered a slight concussion, been poked in the eye and is currently nursing a sprained right foot. Of course, that’s what he can remember.

For the sake of full disclosure... no doubt the kid has talent, but the words "injury-prone" definitely have to be mentioned here too.

It lists him as a "junior", which opens up a boatload of questions. Was he redshirted? Because if so, and if he goes to Lehigh, that puts Threatt and Bednarik as two senior QBs. How many years of eligibility are we talking?

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Us Lehigh people have learned after the last 2 years to keep our mouths shut. The most interesting trend about this game and the previous 2 is Lafayette's record against Lehigh when entering the game with 7+ wins, something like 23-1.

Yup! It's my favorite stat! I believe the correct way is "when both teams are entering the game with 7+ wins... "

Pard94
November 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
For the sake of full disclosure... no doubt the kid has talent, but the words "injury-prone" definitely have to be mentioned here too.

It lists him as a "junior", which opens up a boatload of questions. Was he redshirted? Because if so, and if he goes to Lehigh, that puts Threatt and Bednarik as two senior QBs. How many years of eligibility are we talking?

Who cares? He's not helping Lehigh on Saturday. Great write up as usual LFN. Come by the VIP tailgate area (behind the pressbox), look for the biggest tailgate going up there (100+people), ask around for me (George Ravalico) and I will see to it you get an untainted beer or 10.

Go PARDS!~

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Who cares? He's not helping Lehigh on Saturday. Great write up as usual LFN. Come by the VIP tailgate area (behind the pressbox), look for the biggest tailgate going up there (100+people), ask around for me (George Ravalico) and I will see to it you get an untainted beer or 10.

Go PARDS!~

:D I will do my utmost to stop by! I have a few tailgates to attend, but I do want to see an official Lafayette tailgate. No deep-fried twinkies I hope? :p

carney2
November 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM

I'm doing this from memory, so I hope that someone with access to the real info gets onboard and corrects any mistakes. As I recall, Bednarik redshirted his freshman year and then was injured in his sophomore year. He was replaced by then freshman Pat White who became an instant Mountaineer legend, and Bednarik will, realistically, never reclaim the position. In West Virginia lore Adam will be the answer to a trivia question: "Who did Pat White replace when he took over at QB?" He is, for all intents and purposes, sitting out the current season, so that means that he is 3 years into his college career. Isn't (wasn't) there a rule that one must use his 4 years of elegibility within 5 years? If so, Adam Bednarik has two years remaining.

Bednarik is more of a traditional QB in the mold of Mark Borda and Phil Stambaugh, and just may be good enough to introduce Mr. Threatt to Mr. Pine, particularly with a coach like Coen who wants to see a more balanced attack than the Lehigh faithful are used to.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'm doing this from memory, so I hope that someone with access to the real info gets onboard and corrects any mistakes. As I recall, Bednarik redshirted his freshman year and then was injured in his sophomore year. He was replaced by then freshman Pat White who became an instant Mountaineer legend, and Bednarik will, realistically, never reclaim the position. In West Virginia lore Adam will be the answer to a trivia question: "Who did Pat White replace when he took over at QB?" He is, for all intents and purposes, sitting out the current season, so that means that he is 3 years into his college career. Isn't (wasn't) there a rule that one must use his 4 years of elegibility within 5 years? If so, Mr. Bednarik has two years remaining.

Thanks for the info. He sounds like he would be a great high-profile guy to get - IF he avoids the injury bug.

Lafalumni29
November 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Dan Tavani? Did I miss something here?

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Is this Adam Bednarik talk serious? He was the starting quarterback at West Va until he got hurt in the 4th quarter v. Lousiville last year. He is a serious talent and would created a huge debate as to who should start at QB. This weekends game should be another great one. 24-17 as Lehigh lifes to play another day.

cosmo here
November 16th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Dan Tavani? Did I miss something here?

nope, just drawing comparisons between former Lehigh Valley football standouts. from what I've heard Dan is very pleased with his decision at Wofford, and they still have an outside shot to make the playoffs at 7-4.

letsgopards04
November 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I was actually gonna post something like someone should do up an AGS Lafayette/Lehigh tailgate. It would be kickass.

carney2
November 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I was actually gonna post something like someone should do up an AGS Lafayette/Lehigh tailgate. It would be kickass.

Need time to organize and to get it on the schedule before the other events of this incredible and busy day get penciled in. Next year.

carney2
November 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM
A posting on the Lafayette site says that temporary bleachers have been set up in the east end zone and one or two other places, with the capacity now at 15,000+. All temporary seats were gobbled up immediately and the game continues as a sellout/tough ticket.

Andy
November 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Bednarik made the travel team in '03--when he didn't see action, it became a red-shirt year. Third string in '04, shared the duties in '05. Hurt this year. So, I assume one year of elligibility left. However, among others, Colgate's Long received a sixth year. The difference might be that Long lost TWO YEARS to injury, don't think that is the case with this kid.

Hope Sedale hears about this before Saturday.

carney2
November 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Is this Adam Bednarik talk serious? He was the starting quarterback at West Va until he got hurt in the 4th quarter v. Lousiville last year. He is a serious talent and would created a huge debate as to who should start at QB. This weekends game should be another great one. 24-17 as Lehigh lifes to play another day.

In the interests of full disclosure, by the time he was injured, Adam Bednarik was splitting time with freshman Pat White, and the writing was on the wall, as they say. Having said that, Bednarik would be a great addition to any program. White would put most QBs on the bench. He is a special talent a la' Richie Williams of last year's Appalachian State national championship team. As I said earlier, Threatt's days may be numbered.

carney2
November 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Don't know how this became the Adam Bednarik thread (talk about obscure!), but there is now some serious doubt as to how much eligibility remains for this young man. The latest (and I think better) information seems to indicate that he has, at most one year left. I copied this from a post on this subject on the Lafayette (that's right, Lafayette) VoyForum:

Experienced quarterback hampered by injury this spring ... strong and big with good arm strength ... learns offensive concepts quickly and easily ... knows where, why and when to throw the football ... missed spring drills recovering from a shoulder injury ... one of two Mountaineer quarterbacks in 2005; the signalcaller for 50 series ...14-21 passing for 104 yards at Syracuse ... also rushed for team-high 72 yards against the Orange ... 6-6 passing for 90 yards with a 27-yard TD to Darius Reynaud in the Wofford win ... also rushed for an 11-yard TD against Wofford ... left the Maryland game with a neck sprain ...5-6 passing for 57 yards and 31 yards rushing against the Terps ... suffered knee bruise in East Carolina win; 10-12 passing for 116 yards and 22 rushing vs. the Pirates ... left Virginia Tech game in second quarter with shoulder stinger ... 9-10 passing for 78 yards at Rutgers with a 21-yard TD to Brandon Myles ... also rushed for 26 yards vs. Scarlet Knights ... left Louisville game in fourth quarter with right foot sprain; had been 8-16 passing for 60 yards with a 14-yard TD to Steve Slaton to that point ... missed the Connecticut game ...9-yard completion to Vaughn Rivers in Cincinnati game ...Offensive Champion: Syracuse ... served as the No. 3 quarterback during 2004 ... saw spot action late in the East Carolina and James Madison games ... had shoulder surgery in December and did not participate in Gator Bowl practice ... did not see varsity action in 2003 but traveled as the Mountaineers’ third quarterback ...

2003 thru 2006 = 4 years; with a redshirt he has used 3 of his 4 years. Also, LFN's comments about being injury prone seem to be verified in this biographical sketch. I have not received a definitive answer to the following yet, so I will put it out there one more time: I recall earlier this year reading that the NCAA was considering - or passed - legislation banning I-A transfers from playing immediately at the I-AA level if they have less than two years eligibility remaining. If true, Bednarik would appear to have no options in I-AA. Does anyone have firm information on this?