PDA

View Full Version : FAMU AD Shares Details on Potential MEAC-SWAC Bowl Game

bluedog
January 7th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Florida A&M University Interim Athletic Director Nelson Townsend today shared details of an still-unconfirmed bowl game between the football champions of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Jordan Culver of the Tallahassee Democrat tweeted the details this afternoon, which he directly attributed to Townsend.

Townsend is the second MEAC athletic director to share details of the proposed game, following Morgan State University Athletic Director Floyd Kerr, who first broke the news on a Baton Rouge sports talk radio program last month.

Conference officials would not comment on Townsend's remarks, and said there was no timetable on a potential announcement regarding the bowl game.
http://www.hbcudigest.com/articles/0115/famu-ad-shares-details-on-potential-meac-swac-bowl-game.html

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2015/01/07/townsend-announces-2015-football-schedule-reveals-potential-bowl-game/21396303/

Townsend said teams from both conferences would still be eligible to receive at-large bids, though typically only the champions from each conference earns a spot in the FCS playoffs. He added FAMU voted against the potential bowl game, and that the SWAC still needs to vote before plans for the game are finalized.

"That is the plan but it has not been finalized," Townsend said. "The MEAC voted to participate, should it take place."

When asked why FAMU voted against the Bowl, Townsend said, "We were very interested in being able to play for a National Championship. Generally, in our conference only the champion has played. Every now and then a second or third team will get a chance to play."

Something does not add up here in terms of votes.

75% of the MEAC presidents need to have a "yes" vote on this bowl game. Only 4 would need to oppose such a plan for it to fail.

FAMU is on the record now as being "against". That means at most only two other presidents were against it.

If the non-football schools were against it (UMES/Coppin), all they would have needed was one dissenter. And the more I think about it, why would, exactly, UMES/Coppin be for this?

bluedog
January 7th, 2015, 04:34 PM
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2015/01/07/townsend-announces-2015-football-schedule-reveals-potential-bowl-game/21396303/

Something does not add up here in terms of votes.

75% of the MEAC presidents need to have a "yes" vote on this bowl game. Only 4 would need to oppose such a plan for it to fail.

FAMU is on the record now as being "against". That means at most only two other presidents were against it.

If the non-football schools were against it (UMES/Coppin), all they would have needed was one dissenter. And the more I think about it, why would, exactly, UMES/Coppin be for this?

I wouldn't think the non-football schools get to vote on it, as I'm GUESSING they don't get to share in it. Makes sense.

On the other hand, my real honest opinion is that their administrators are lying to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

superman7515
January 8th, 2015, 07:09 AM

IF UMES & Coppin State got to vote on it, then that means they get to share in the profits without having to actually field a team, so of course they would be a yes vote. They wouldn't allow them a vote if they weren't going to be involved at all.

Even if they are just splitting a single share (1/13) between the two of them, that's still additional revenue. From what folks were saying, it's a $1 million payout (still unconfirmed), with the participating school getting $300,000 and the other $700,000 divided by the other schools and the conference. If UMES/Coppin get a bit of the money, then it is 12 teams and the conference office that get a share of the remaining $700,000; so they get $53,846 for doing nothing. If they split a single share evenly between the two of them, it goes to 11 teams (1 of those 11 split in half) and the conference getting a share; so $29,166.50 for, again, doing nothing. Not much money, but it's free.

IF they are allowed to vote, why would UMES and Coppin State ever be against it?

813Jag
January 8th, 2015, 07:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8BqcV.gif

WileECoyote06
January 8th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Uh huh and folks argued me down on another site about whether the 3/4 vote rule was legit and how did it pass.

Anyway, this has been a PR disaster, thanks to Floyd Kerr, the SWAC ADs and fans, and our own presidents.

I hope the group of four can find a new conference home.

813Jag
January 8th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Uh huh and folks argued me down on another site about whether the 3/4 vote rule was legit and how did it pass.

Anyway, this has been a PR disaster, thanks to Floyd Kerr, the SWAC ADs and fans, and our own presidents.

I hope the group of four can find a new conference home.
what did the SWAC AD's do?

clenz
January 8th, 2015, 08:45 AM
IF UMES & Coppin State got to vote on it, then that means they get to share in the profits without having to actually field a team, so of course they would be a yes vote. They wouldn't allow them a vote if they weren't going to be involved at all.
UNI still gets a vote in MVC baseball and mens soccer related proposals. Haven't had baseball since 07 or 08 and no soccer in...i actually don't remember when UNI dropped mens soccer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bluedog
January 8th, 2015, 08:50 AM
what did the SWAC AD's do?

You know telling a lie isn't a big issue with most meac posters

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Even if they are just splitting a single share (1/13) between the two of them, that's still additional revenue. From what folks were saying, it's a $1 million payout (still unconfirmed), with the participating school getting $300,000 and the other $700,000 divided by the other schools and the conference. If UMES/Coppin get a bit of the money, then it is 12 teams and the conference office that get a share of the remaining $700,000; so they get $53,846 for doing nothing. If they split a single share evenly between the two of them, it goes to 11 teams (1 of those 11 split in half) and the conference getting a share; so $29,166.50 for, again, doing nothing. Not much money, but it's free.

IF they are allowed to vote, why would UMES and Coppin State ever be against it?

Would you vote for something that gives one of your conference hoops rivals a $300,000 (allegedly) cash injection that you yourself can never have? If the numbers are $1 million for showing up and $10 million for participating in the CFP, OK, I see it. But $50K annually for doing nothing doesn't really help Coppin's athletic department much.

Sandlapper Spike
January 8th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Sadly, those were among Nelson Townsend's last public comments. He died suddenly this morning.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/famu-athletic-director-nelson-townsend-dead-at-73-20150108/?page=1&utm_content=buffer466ae&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=buffer

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Sadly, those were among Nelson Townsend's last public comments. He died suddenly this morning.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/famu-athletic-director-nelson-townsend-dead-at-73-20150108/?page=1&utm_content=buffer466ae&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=buffer

OMG. Prayers for the FAMU community.

WileECoyote06
January 8th, 2015, 01:32 PM
You know telling a lie isn't a big issue with most meac posters

I referenced what a poster said on Meacfanszone. I misread his statement, which said the university president, not the AD; so I apologize for saying ADs. But apparently this 'bowl' was well known among SWAC circles ever since August; MEAC fans have been oblivious to the changes until rumors during the SWAC championship. That's frustrating to boosters, and fans; and I'm sure it's annoying to ESPN.

Now, considering our borderline stupid conversation from yesterday, refrain from commenting on my comments please. 99% of the time you're "loud and wrong".

My condolences to the FAMU family and the family and friends of Mr. Townsend.

bluedog
January 8th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I referenced what a poster said on Meacfanszone. I misread his statement, which said the university president, not the AD; so I apologize for saying ADs. But apparently this 'bowl' was well known among SWAC circles ever since August; MEAC fans have been oblivious to the changes until rumors during the SWAC championship. That's frustrating to boosters, and fans; and I'm sure it's annoying to ESPN.

Now, considering our borderline stupid conversation from yesterday, refrain from commenting on my comments please. 99% of the time you're "loud and wrong".

My condolences to the FAMU family and the family and friends of Mr. Townsend.

Right... that's why this is your second time having to apologize for giving misinformation, and admitting the meac has been oblivious.

Makes sense

ROTFLMAO!

WestCoastAggie
January 8th, 2015, 05:18 PM

Coppin and East Shore do not vote on Football matters.

Anyway, it passed but ESPN needs to sign off on the deal.

number1
January 8th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Right... that's why this is you're second time having to apologize for giving misinformation, and admitting the meac has been oblivious.

Makes sense

ROTFLMAO!

lol

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Shouldn't they have a say in conference revenue? It seems horribly unfair.

WestCoastAggie
January 8th, 2015, 06:39 PM

They get access to revenue generated from non football ventures.

bluedog
January 8th, 2015, 06:57 PM

Confused as hell, as to why you feel that way.

superman7515
January 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Would you vote for something that gives one of your conference hoops rivals a $300,000 (allegedly) cash injection that you yourself can never have? If the numbers are $1 million for showing up and $10 million for participating in the CFP, OK, I see it. But $50K annually for doing nothing doesn't really help Coppin's athletic department much.

That's the way I understood it as well, but I just didn't see a reason for them to vote no on it IF they were given the option. Sure it's $300,000 for a conference rival, but how much of that is the conference rival going to have to spend on the game itself? It's not like they'll be making $300,000 straight cash homie from it. Not to mention, let's say NC A&T goes to the bowl and makes $100,000 off the game after expenses etc. The majority of that is going to football, which UMES/Coppin don't have to worry about, so it's not going to hurt their basketball odds.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Confused as hell, as to why you feel that way.

Suppose Grambling sponsored, I don't know, water polo. They entered an agreement with ESPN to televise the SWAC Water Polo Championships where every water polo participant gets $1M for their entire athletics department just for fielding a team and $10M for winning it. You don't think that's an unfair advantage for Grambling's athletic department when they face off vs. Southern in football? Do you think Southern would vote for something that gives their rival in other sports a six-figure check that they won't see? Don't you think they should have a say in whether their rival schools in other sports get that six-figure check?

When the Patriot League chose to offer conventional athletic scholarships in football, American University, who doesn't field a football team, had a vote in the matter. Why? Because it affects them.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 07:32 PM
That's the way I understood it as well, but I just didn't see a reason for them to vote no on it IF they were given the option. Sure it's $300,000 for a conference rival, but how much of that is the conference rival going to have to spend on the game itself? It's not like they'll be making $300,000 straight cash homie from it. Not to mention, let's say NC A&T goes to the bowl and makes $100,000 off the game after expenses etc. The majority of that is going to football, which UMES/Coppin don't have to worry about, so it's not going to hurt their basketball odds.

A fair point. But then it opens up the question again as to why the MEAC football teams are forsaking the playoffs over it - if they're allegedly not making much money from the deal. Either it's SO much money that UMES and Coppin need a cut - or it's not nearly enough for them to care.

superman7515
January 8th, 2015, 07:33 PM
A fair point. But then it opens up the question again as to why the MEAC football teams are forsaking the playoffs over it - if they're allegedly not making much money from the deal. Either it's SO much money that UMES and Coppin need a cut - or it's not nearly enough for them to care.

They make $0 from the playoffs, or lose money, so why not? $1 > $0

bluedog
January 8th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Suppose Grambling sponsored, I don't know, water polo. They entered an agreement with ESPN to televise the SWAC Water Polo Championships where every water polo participant gets $1M for their entire athletics department just for fielding a team and $10M for winning it. You don't think that's an unfair advantage for Grambling's athletic department when they face off vs. Southern in football? Do you think Southern would vote for something that gives their rival in other sports a six-figure check that they won't see? Don't you think they should have a say in whether their rival schools in other sports get that six-figure check?

When the Patriot League chose to offer conventional athletic scholarships in football, American University, who doesn't field a football team, had a vote in the matter. Why? Because it affects them.

No I don't, but at the same time I respect the fact that if Southern didn't chose to have water Polo, or said that they would add it in a certain time frame but didn't, have no vote on it.

number1
January 8th, 2015, 09:08 PM
No I don't, but at the same time I respect the fact that if Southern didn't chose to have water Polo, or said that they would add it in a certain time frame but didn't, have no vote on it.

Exactly, how can a school complain about football matters if they don't field a team for that sport? The response would and should always be start a program, then talk.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Exactly, how can a school complain about football matters if they don't field a team for that sport? The response would and should always be start a program, then talk.

Or they could just leave and join the NEC.

813Jag
January 9th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Assuming this game does take place, any idea where it will be played?

WestCoastAggie
January 9th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Yep.

WestCoastAggie
January 9th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Assuming this game does take place, any idea where it will be played?

Orlando, FL. They aren't doing this except to get people to each during Bowl Season and to a lesser extent, to get people into their theme parks.

bluedog
January 9th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Nobody knows where the game is taking place yet.

DFW HOYA
January 9th, 2015, 07:50 AM

They did? I always thought it was a 6-1 vote among the football playing schools and that AU, Navy, and Army weren't voting. So was the vote actually 9-1 instead?

813Jag
January 9th, 2015, 08:23 AM
if the attendance is anything like the Challenge, I won't have to rush to buy tickets xlolx