PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Playoff Upsets

TypicalTribe
January 7th, 2015, 02:02 PM
With all of the discussion of late about the playoff format and the best structure and number of teams, I've been thinking about how much any of it impacts who actually wins. In the history of FCS, nearly every title has been won by one of the top handful of teams in a given year. So, how many true upsets do the playoffs really produce? I'm looking for nominations for the most memorable and biggest upsets in FCS history.

I've got a few in my head that I'll throw in if noone mentions them, but I don't want to bias the conversation.

Fire away.

OSBF
January 7th, 2015, 02:36 PM
November 13, 1993

Normal IL

#1 ranked YSU penguins waddle into Hancock Stadium

YSU on way to winning the National Championship

ILS was just playin' out the string of yet another dreadful season

Sounds like a walk through for the 'guins, right?

It was a HORRIBLE day weather wise, as I remember it cold, wet, and a stiff breeze out of the North

No body can move the ball all day, teams locked up at 10 when ILS takes possession deep in their own end with under a minute left

A 70 yd hail mary and a FG later ILS wins 13-10

TypicalTribe
January 7th, 2015, 03:01 PM
C'mon, seriously?!? The first reply is a regular season game? You're killing me!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 7th, 2015, 03:15 PM
How does EWU over SIU in 2004? #1 seed goes down to one of the last teams in?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I'd have to say Lehigh beating Richmond in 1998 on the last-second FG, mostly because nobody gave a "non-scholarship" Patriot League team two snowball's chances in hell of beating a CAA team. The prior year Colgate lost by double digits.

That same year you could also say UMass beating Georgia Southern as an all-time upset, too, in the NCG. Everyone I knew thought the Eagles would roll (again), but UMass saw something in the tape and had other ideas. One of the best NCG's too, incidentally.

Grizalltheway
January 7th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Wofford over Montana in 2007. That team was undefeated in the regular season (yeah yeah, Big Fluffy) and loaded (for an FCS team) with NFL talent. Also cold and loud.

dewey
January 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM
How about Richmond beating the 3 time defending champions and 2008 playoffs #2 seeded Appalcahin Mountaineers 33-13 in Boone North Carolina. ASU was going for their 4th consecutive championship and lost at home. That ASU team had Walter Payton award winner Armanti Edwards at quarterback.

2008 ASU Wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Appalachian_State_Mountaineers_football_team

The 2008 Richmond Spiders team won 3 straight road games to win the championship. Wins included 38-10 over EKU, @#2 seed ASU (33-13), @#3 UNI (21-20) and @#4 Montana (24-7).

Dewey

McNeese75
January 7th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I'd have to say Lehigh beating Richmond in 1998 on the last-second FG, mostly because nobody gave a "non-scholarship" Patriot League team two snowball's chances in hell of beating a CAA team. The prior year Colgate lost by double digits.

That same year you could also say UMass beating Georgia Southern as an all-time upset, too, in the NCG. Everyone I knew thought the Eagles would roll (again), but UMass saw something in the tape and had other ideas. One of the best NCG's too, incidentally.

Has to be UMass over GSU

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2015, 04:15 PM

At the time that was a HUGE upset but in hindsight it really wasn't. Lehigh was among the 2-3 best teams in the country that year imo. 1998 was simply the start of a great run....

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Didn't Tennessee State lose as a #1 seed in the late 90's? Was that the only time that happened?

PantherRob82
January 7th, 2015, 04:27 PM
UNI over #1 Eastern Illinois in 2001?

MR. CHICKEN
January 7th, 2015, 04:28 PM
20464.....DELAWARE OVERAH....GRIZZWOLDS....49-48.......1993..OR SO AH BELIEVE.......BACK WHEN TEAMS WERE TRUELAH SEEDED.....GRIZZ WERE #1/#2.....DELAWARE #15/#16.......CAIN'T REMEMBERAH......DUH MONTES....KICKER MISSED AN X-TRA POINT...OR...WE MIGHT STILL BE PLAYIN'.......BRAWK!

URSUS...ALREADY MENTIONED IN UH 'NOTHERAH THREAD.....&...SOME ON 1ST PAGE.....1998.......UMA$$ BEAT GEORGIA SOUTHERN...WHO HAD SEVEN FUMBLES IN GAME.....AWK!

ngineer
January 7th, 2015, 08:01 PM
At the time that was a HUGE upset but in hindsight it really wasn't. Lehigh was among the 2-3 best teams in the country that year imo. 1998 was simply the start of a great run....

Two years later, in 2000, Lehigh was a severe underdog to #3 Western Illinois. Mountain Hawks went out to WIU and literally whupped them every way from Sunday, 37-7. It was one of the most amazing upsets I've witnessed in my decades of watching football.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2015, 08:16 PM
How about Richmond beating the 3 time defending champions and 2008 playoffs #2 seeded Appalcahin Mountaineers 33-13 in Boone North Carolina. ASU was going for their 4th consecutive championship and lost at home. That ASU team had Walter Payton award winner Armanti Edwards at quarterback.

2008 ASU Wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Appalachian_State_Mountaineers_football_team

The 2008 Richmond Spiders team won 3 straight road games to win the championship. Wins included 38-10 over EKU, @#2 seed ASU (33-13), @#3 UNI (21-20) and @#4 Montana (24-7).

Dewey

it was no upset to those that followed the CAA at the time, rest of the country didn't see it coming

Hammerhead
January 7th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Forget those last-second/close games. I'll take NDSU as an at-large team in 2010 beating #4 seed Montana State 42-17.

mvemjsunpx
January 8th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Northern Arizona beat #1 McNeese in the 2003 first round, 35-3. That same NAU team had earlier lost to Montana as a home favorite by about 30. I'm not sure any playoff result was more out-of-nowhere than that one.

mvemjsunpx
January 8th, 2015, 03:21 AM
UNI over #1 Eastern Illinois in 2001?

Eastern Illinois wasn't #1, Montana was. I believe EIU was #4.

344Johnson
January 8th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Forget those last-second/close games. I'll take NDSU as an at-large team in 2010 beating #4 seed Montana State 42-17.

Fun game to see from the dorm room.

Doubt it is worthy of any "biggest upset lists"

AshevilleApp2
January 8th, 2015, 05:34 AM
it was no upset to those that followed the CAA at the time, rest of the country didn't see it coming

I agree that was no upset. AE playing with a bad knee didn't help, but Richmond probably wins even if he had been 100%.

That was also the second of a three year playoff series between the two teams. After the first two games in Boone, they were 1-1, and I believe tied in points. In the 2009 Quarterfinal game at Richmond, Edwards led App to three 4th quarter touchdowns, the last one with about ten seconds left, in a comeback win.

Then we went to Montana. xmadx

Tribe4SF
January 8th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Probably not the biggest upset, but one of the most striking was W&M over #1 Southern Illinois in 2009 quarterfinal. 24-3 win as Tribe limited Salukis to 187 total yards and Deji Karim to 27 yards on 12 carries.

superman7515
January 8th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Pretty sure Hampton (11-0) was #1 in 2005 when they got blasted at home by Richmond in the first round 38-10. They were actually better the next year, but had a road loss in the regular season if I remember correctly, before they lost be a field goal to New Hampshire.

MR. CHICKEN
January 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Probably not the biggest upset, but one of the most striking was W&M over #1 Southern Illinois in 2009 quarterfinal. 24-3 win as Tribe limited Salukis to 187 total yards and Deji Karim to 27 yards on 12 carries.

20465.....CHIEF....OK...TA HOMER.....KNOCK OFFAH...NUMERO UNO.....&..DOMINATE 'EM.....IS....BIG DEAL UPSET...AWK!

ps....SAW IT ON TV.....NEVERAH PROUDER UH CAA!

mvemjsunpx
January 8th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Pretty sure Hampton (11-0) was #1 in 2005 when they got blasted at home by Richmond in the first round 38-10. They were actually better the next year, but had a road loss in the regular season if I remember correctly, before they lost be a field goal to New Hampshire.

No, Hampton was the #3 seed. New Hampshire was #1.

superman7515
January 8th, 2015, 07:39 AM

Not the #1 seed, but I was meaning I'm pretty sure they were ranked #1 heading into the playoffs.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Not the #1 seed, but I was meaning I'm pretty sure they were ranked #1 heading into the playoffs.

Hampton was #2

According to wiki: W (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Richmond_Spiders_football_team)iki Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Richmond_Spiders_football_team)

superman7515
January 8th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Hampton was #2

xthumbsupx

kalm
January 8th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Northern Arizona beat #1 McNeese in the 2003 first round, 35-3. That same NAU team had earlier lost to Montana as a home favorite by about 30. I'm not sure any playoff result was more out-of-nowhere than that one.

An 8-3 EWU did almost the same thing to (IIRC) the #2 seed Mcneese in 2007.

Big Fluffy.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2015, 10:21 AM
That win by UD in Montana in 1993 has to rank up there. UD was the last team in that year and that was a Montana team with Dickenson at QB.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2015, 10:38 AM
That win by UD in Montana in 1993 has to rank up there. UD was the last team in that year and that was a Montana team with Dickenson at QB.

What about Delaware beating #1 ranked and seeded NE Louisiana in 1992?

MR. CHICKEN
January 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM
....xthumbsupx.....GOOD ONE...DOOBIE....xthumbsupx.....AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
January 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM
20468.......2010....#5 SEED E. WASHIN'TON.....UPSET....#3 SEED....U. DELAWARE...&....OURAH FANS........BAH UH LINK......20-19.....xpissedx...BRAWK!

clenz
January 8th, 2015, 11:54 AM
UNI beating UNH in 2005 during a snow storm
UNI beating Texas State the next weekend in 2005 in Texas

Lehigh'98
January 8th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Would anyone be able to find the biggest upset according to the point spread? Not exactly the easiest thing to get

penguinpower
January 8th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Youngstown State upset Villanova after Villanova had a 21 point lead

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 12:44 PM

Where Texas State played for OT instead of going for the win with 1:30 to play. One of the biggest coaching blunders ever in the playoffs, IMO.

Mattymc727
January 8th, 2015, 01:11 PM
UNH over Georgia Southern in 2004? Not sure if GSU was a seed or not but nobody expected a new playoff team from the north to come into Georgia and win 27-3.

Plus UNH got spanked the next week in Montana, so it really was quit the upset.

MR. CHICKEN
January 8th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Where Texas State played for OT instead of going for the win with 1:30 to play. One of the biggest coaching blunders ever in the playoffs, IMO.

20469.....SPEAKIN' UH BLUNDERS.....CAIN'T REMEMBERAH DUH PLAY-OFF YEAR....JMU.....ALREADY LEADIN'...APP STATE....WHIFF VERAH LITTLE TIME REMAININ'...(SECONDS AH BELIEVE)........MICKEY "BLUNDERBUSS" MATHEWS....GOES FO' UH FG......BLOCKED.......MOUSKETEERS.....SCORE ON PLAY.....SENT DUH DUKIES..INTA DEEP DESPAIR....C'MON MICK...:(.....AWK!

ANY ADDITIONAL DETAILS....DUKE DAWGS......PLEASE CHIME IN....BRAWK!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 8th, 2015, 01:55 PM
UNH over Georgia Southern in 2004? Not sure if GSU was a seed or not but nobody expected a new playoff team from the north to come into Georgia and win 27-3.

Plus UNH got spanked the next week in Montana, so it really was quit the upset.

Score was 27-23, I assume that was a typo. IIRC, GaSoU was the #4 seed and UNH was considered #5 by the NCAA. They didn't publicize it. Everyone thought it was a game that shouldn't have happened in the first round! Still most GaSoU and SoCon fans thought UNH couldn't go into Paulson and win. GaSoU scored easily on their two initial drives and it looked like it might be a rout, but Corey Graham then ran the kickoff back 99 yards to the one yard line. The rest was history!! And I will go to my grave (or dementia) with the image of RJ Harvey busting that 50+ yard run for the game winning TD. Outrunning all that Southern Speed in the GaSoU DB!! Probably not the biggest upset, but it will always rank highly in UNH's biggest wins!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 8th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Once again, it wasn't snowing during the UNI@UNH game in 2005. Actually, not a cloud in the sky that day!

clenz
January 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Once again, it wasn't snowing during the UNI@UNH game in 2005. Actually, not a cloud in the sky that day!
There was about 8 feet of snow and well below freezing.

Same thing

Actually, heavy snow and 30 degrees is a hell of a lot nicer than snow cover, no clouds, and wind

Mattymc727
January 8th, 2015, 03:17 PM
There was about 8 feet of snow and well below freezing.

Same thing

Actually, heavy snow and 30 degrees is a hell of a lot nicer than snow cover, no clouds, and wind

I was there that day too, I dont remember the players playing in 8 feet of snow. I saw a nice green field and sunny skies. Still, a nice upset for UNI.

JayJ79
January 8th, 2015, 03:44 PM
the games at Delaware were snowy. the game at UNH was just cold.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 8th, 2015, 03:46 PM

I think this counts. It's one thing to lose to a team that lost to a team you beat, but another to lose to a team that lost twice in a season to a team you beat by 22.

We were just not focused on offense and on defense failed to adequately plan for Marcel Shipp, who played a great game.

Grizalltheway
January 8th, 2015, 03:50 PM
the games at Delaware were snowy. the game at UNH was just cold.

But apparently cold and clear is the same as a drivng snowstorm while the game is being played.

dudeitsaid
January 8th, 2015, 06:09 PM
How does EWU over SIU in 2004? #1 seed goes down to one of the last teams in?

Aaarrrggghhh, beat me to it! That was a heck of a game!

HailSzczur
January 8th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Youngstown State upset Villanova after Villanova had a 21 point lead

That's gotta be up their. We were #1 in the country and undefeated.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/1997-98/Files/game13.htm

HailSzczur
January 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM
2010, Nova over #1 App St (Matt Szczur's greatest game) was in theory a big upset, due to the seeds. In reality Nova was sorely undervalued (and rightfully so) after limping through the end of the season without Szczur.

Gordon Shumway
January 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM

UNH was not seeded that year they beat Hampton. They were 8-3 coming in, and Hampton was 10-1.

ngineer
January 8th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Would anyone be able to find the biggest upset according to the point spread? Not exactly the easiest thing to get

I'd be willing to bet Lehigh was at least a three-score underdog (17-21) to Western Illinois considering were were the lowly Patriot League and having to travel to the middle of nowhere, Illinois and then winning by 30 points.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet Lehigh was at least a three-score underdog (17-21) to Western Illinois considering were were the lowly Patriot League and having to travel to the middle of nowhere, Illinois and then winning by 30 points.

Weren't the Leathernecks Gateway champs that year as well? Though I'd still give the nod to the 98 team that beat Richmond as the bigger upset. There was a lot better indication that Lehigh could give WIU a game in 2000. In 1998 few thought Lehigh could get close to the A-10 co-champs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 8th, 2015, 09:01 PM
UNH was not seeded that year they beat Hampton. They were 8-3 coming in, and Hampton was 10-1.

That's right! If UNH was #1 they wouldn't have been playing #3 in the first round and they wouldn't have been on the road.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Weren't the Leathernecks Gateway champs that year as well? Though I'd still give the nod to the 98 team that beat Richmond as the bigger upset. There was a lot better indication that Lehigh could give WIU a game in 2000. In 1998 few thought Lehigh could get close to the A-10 co-champs.

Edge Hartwell also won the Buchanan Award that year for WIU that year. James "Bubba" Young, who was a great LB in his own right had an insanely good game.

WIU lost to Colgate in 2003. The MVFC is .500 overall against the "lowly" PL in the playoffs....

blueballs
January 9th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Georgia Southern's run to the 1985 title was nothing short of a miracle and is the biggest upset I can recall. In their first ever playoff appearance in only their second year of eligibility, GSC did the impossible.

After dispatching Jackson State rather easily in the first round at home 27-0, GSC went into Murphreesboro and defeated #1 ranked and undefeated MTSU (who had defeated GSC AT Paulson 35-10 three months earlier) 28-21.

In the semi finals they traveled to Cedar Falls and upset 11-1 Northern Iowa 40-33.

Finally, in the championship game in Pocatello, Idaho, they overcame a 28-6 3rd quarter deficit to score on a Tracy Ham to Frankie Johnson pass with 19 seconds left ( The Catch) defeat 12-1 Furman 44-42.

Part of what made the run so amazing is that prior to losing to GSC, MTSU had won 12 in a row, UNI had won 11 in a row, and Furman had won 11 in a row. The 4 teams that GSC defeated in their miracle run had a collective record of 42-4 prior to being eliminated by GSC.

That playoff run put GSC on the football map and kick started the most successful dynasty in 1-AA/FCS history, put Tracy Ham in the College Football HOF, and made Erk Russell a legend. Truly a miracle by any standard and collectively the biggest upset I can recall.

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Georgia Southern's run to the 1985 title was nothing short of a miracle and is the biggest upset I can recall. In their first ever playoff appearance in only their second year of eligibility, GSC did the impossible.

After dispatching Jackson State rather easily in the first round at home 27-0, GSC went into Murphreesboro and defeated #1 ranked and undefeated MTSU (who had defeated GSC AT Paulson 35-10 three months earlier) 28-21.

In the semi finals they traveled to Cedar Falls and upset 11-1 Northern Iowa 40-33.

Finally, in the championship game in Pocatello, Idaho, they overcame a 28-6 3rd quarter deficit to score on a Tracy Ham to Frankie Johnson pass with 19 seconds left ( The Catch) defeat 12-1 Furman 44-42.

Part of what made the run so amazing is that prior to losing to GSC, MTSU had won 12 in a row, UNI had won 11 in a row, and Furman had won 11 in a row. The 4 teams that GSC defeated in their miracle run had a collective record of 42-4 prior to being eliminated by GSC.

That playoff run put GSC on the football map and kick started the most successful dynasty in 1-AA/FCS history, put Tracy Ham in the College Football HOF, and made Erk Russell a legend. Truly a miracle by any standard and collectively the biggest upset I can recall.

Eagles didn't play the Bison that year ;)

NDSU was finishing off their 2nd Championship out of 5 in a 8 year run. I remember seeing GSU win those titles, and wondered how the Bison would do against them. The NDSU Veer vs GSU Triple Option, would have been something to see.

Wofford Dude from Montana
January 10th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Wofford vs Griz Nation in Missoula. Southern Conference winners treated like a #16 seed. Travel cross country when they earned east coast game.
Small school with the number of living alumni under U of M current enrollment.
Well played game, with All-American kicker missing long, but makeable, field goal. Key stat Wofford had two turnovers in first quarter, but Griz didn't score a point off them.
Best fan treatment of visiting team ever. Didn't buy a beer for four days.

citdog
January 10th, 2015, 02:44 AM

never heard of 'em. eagles you say?

AshevilleApp2
January 10th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I'll toss Florida A&M over App in 1999 into the ring. App was the #4 seed and had beaten top ranked and eventual national champion Georgia Southern during the regular season. But we had no answer for the Gulf Coast Offense and lost 44-29. It wasn't as close as the score indicates.

That game sucked.

citdog
January 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I'll toss Florida A&M over App in 1999 into the ring. App was the #4 seed and had beaten top ranked and eventual national champion Georgia Southern during the regular season. But we had no answer for the Gulf Coast Offense and lost 44-29. It wasn't as close as the score indicates.

That game sucked.

Who?

blueballs
January 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM

That game sucked.

And then FAMU absolutely choked the semifinals away against Youngstown State, losing after blowing a 10 point lead in the final two minutes.

Granted, as a GS fan, that stomping Youngstown and seizing claim as the (at the time) greatest 1-AA program was really satisfying, seeing FAMU's passing offense against GS's ground game in the final would have been a better match up. I wish that game could have happened.

AshevilleApp2
January 11th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Who?

Glad you forgot.

I hope you forgot that two game win streak Citadel had against us too. :D

WileECoyote06
January 11th, 2015, 12:16 PM
FAMU fans are still pissed over that game. They swear to this day that the referees gave the game to YSU.

PantherRob82
January 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I was there that day too, I dont remember the players playing in 8 feet of snow. I saw a nice green field and sunny skies. Still, a nice upset for UNI.

I was there too. It was cold and that was about it. It was actually pretty muddy because a lot of snow melted . Remember the tailgate lot?

thebootfitter
January 11th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Eagles didn't play the Bison that year ;)

NDSU was finishing off their 2nd Championship out of 5 in a 8 year run. I remember seeing GSU win those titles, and wondered how the Bison would do against them. The NDSU Veer vs GSU Triple Option, would have been something to see.
No doubt, Georgia Southern was impressive in those years, and that '85 playoff run was incredible.

While the results of hypothetical matchups between the Bison and Eagles from those years is pure speculation, of course, Erk reportedly had a conversation in which he admitted that the Bison during the same run would have given them everything they could handle.

I've posted this a few times over the years, but just for fun, I've checked out the Massey archives from many of those years. At least in a few of those years, the Bison were rated ahead of the Eagles. (Cross-division match ups are tough to predict with computer models though.)

mvemjsunpx
January 11th, 2015, 09:40 PM

We weren't talking about the year UNH beat Hampton (neither team was seeded). We were talking about 2005, when Hampton was #3 and got upset by Richmond.

Catbooster
January 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I don't recall where Montana State was ranked (I was in the stands for all of the games, but the memory of many of them is a little hazy xdrunkyx ), but I'd think our national championship in '84 would be right up there. We were 1-10 in '83 (only win vs. UM).

mvemjsunpx
January 12th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I don't recall where Montana State was ranked (I was in the stands for all of the games, but the memory of many of them is a little hazy xdrunkyx ), but I'd think our national championship in '84 would be right up there. We were 1-10 in '83 (only win vs. UM).

They must've been top-4 because they had a first-round bye.

Big Dawg
January 12th, 2015, 11:58 PM
FAMU fans are still pissed over that game. They swear to this day that the referees gave the game to YSU.

Yep...we are STILL hurting from that game. We truly felt that was our year. Our coach gambled by continuing to throw the ball instead of just continuing to pound that Youngstown State defense.

I wanted to see that FAMU/Georgia Southern match-up in National Title Game. It would've been a nice rematch from the 1997 1st round playoff game against the Eagles.

blueballs
January 13th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Yep...we are STILL hurting from that game. We truly felt that was our year. Our coach gambled by continuing to throw the ball instead of just continuing to pound that Youngstown State defense.

I wanted to see that FAMU/Georgia Southern match-up in National Title Game. It would've been a nice rematch from the 1997 1st round playoff game against the Eagles.

That '97 game was fun, so was the 2001 playoff matchup. If either game had been a fight they would have stopped it in the first quarter.

MR. CHICKEN
January 13th, 2015, 12:08 PM
20499.....HMMM!......DID NORFF DAKOTAH STATE.....JES'...UPSET........ILLINOIS STATE.......IN DIS SEASONS......BIGGIE?...........HMMM?

WE'LL NEVERAH KNOW...FO' SURE....xsmhx....BRAWK!

fc97
January 26th, 2015, 08:18 AM
what about 1999 north carolina a&t at 16 seed defeating, handily, the #1 seed tennessee state?

tomq04
January 26th, 2015, 01:28 PM
What about the beatdown CCU gave Montana last year in Missoula in -10 degree weather?

42-28?

Bisonator
January 26th, 2015, 01:42 PM
What about the beatdown CCU gave Montana last year in Missoula in -10 degree weather?

42-28?

Hardly a beat down it was 42-35 if I recall.

CasualFan
January 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM
That and the teams were pretty close in ratings/rankings if I recall correctly. I'm lazy and don't want to look up the poll history.

EDIT: OK, I lied and did look up the AGS poll for the end of the season. CCU was #11 while Montana was #8. Assuming I looked at the right poll that is.

rokamortis
January 26th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I think Coastal had a better SRS but was unseeded while Montana was a seed. It was also an upset in that Coastal wasn't expected to win - given no chance by majority of people.

Coastal dominated the first half. True the final was 42-35 but it was 42-21 well into the 4th then I believe we started subbing fairly liberally but Montana tried a comeback. I've seen similar situations referenced on here as "garbage time scores" before.

Here is an article: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/coastal-carolina-knocks-out-montana/article_fd32c1e2-5f69-11e3-97ea-001a4bcf887a.html

clenz
January 26th, 2015, 02:33 PM
SRS is garbage.

That has nothing to do with CCU...just an observation that needs to be stated

tomq04
January 26th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Despite final score, CCU whooped them and it was very unexpected.

penguinpower
January 26th, 2015, 10:10 PM
I think Coastal had a better SRS but was unseeded while Montana was a seed. It was also an upset in that Coastal wasn't expected to win - given no chance by majority of people.

Coastal dominated the first half. True the final was 42-35 but it was 42-21 well into the 4th then I believe we started subbing fairly liberally but Montana tried a comeback. I've seen similar situations referenced on here as "garbage time scores" before.

Here is an article: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/coastal-carolina-knocks-out-montana/article_fd32c1e2-5f69-11e3-97ea-001a4bcf887a.html

Montana is one of the Golden children. They always get the benefit of the doubt. Shouldn't have been seeded after what NDSU did to them in the box score.

dewey
January 26th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Shouldn't have been seeded after what NDSU did to them in the box score.

What? NDSU didn't play Montana in 2013. NDSU did beat Montana in 2014.

Dewey

clenz
January 27th, 2015, 06:40 AM
What? NDSU didn't play Montana in 2013. NDSU did beat Montana in 2014.

Dewey
Some people can't get MVFC/anti-Big Sky bias go at times

bluehenbillk
January 27th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I still can't get over the 2010 NC game when EWU upset Delaware after being down 19-0.

AshevilleApp2
January 28th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I still can't get over the 2010 NC game when EWU upset Delaware after being down 19-0.

That one had to hurt.

melloware13
January 28th, 2015, 11:50 AM
That one had to hurt.

It's hurt our program for sure.