PDA

View Full Version : Message to FCS Schools: The Playoff Experience Is What You Make Of It

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/01/message-to-fcs-schools-playoff.html

Some thoughts on the bidding process, the FCS playoffs, its financials, and what schools make of it.

centennial
January 5th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I agree. Not sure what most schools are making but how big is being on ESPN? 5 years ago outside the Midwest not a lot of people knew about NDSU, now most college football fans I meet know about it and I believe if the state supported NDSU we could increase enrollment.

Catsfan90
January 5th, 2015, 08:24 PM
It seems to me that the people who are really against it are from schools that very rarely have playoff success. When did sports become a "well we keep losing, so let's run for the hills" kind of mentality? I thought athletics were about knowing yourself and seeking self improvement. Everyone starts with the same amount of players on the field. NDSU has nothing but humans on the field. Not robots. Anyone can match them. Competition is about setting goals reaching them, and improving. The marines have a saying: "earned, never given" that's what everyone should strive for. To earn a title, not expect it to fall into your lap.

Scooter
January 5th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Any team can be successful. Most aren't willing to pay the toll and then look for reasons to minimize the achievements of those willing to pay that price. NDSU is a prime example...yeah they have a huge fan base but the fans aren't doing the extra drills, video sessions, and conditioning that most athletes won't do. You are right in the premise that the playoff experience is what you make it. That experience is made before the ball is even snapped. The fans see this extraordinary commitment and reward it.

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2015, 10:29 PM
It seems to me that the people who are really against it are from schools that very rarely have playoff success. When did sports become a "well we keep losing, so let's run for the hills" kind of mentality? I thought athletics were about knowing yourself and seeking self improvement. Everyone starts with the same amount of players on the field. NDSU has nothing but humans on the field. Not robots. Anyone can match them. Competition is about setting goals reaching them, and improving. The marines have a saying: "earned, never given" that's what everyone should strive for. To earn a title, not expect it to fall into your lap.

Good post. I could hear Dan Hawkins while reading it. "Go play intramurals, brutha. Go play intramurals."

Catsfan90
January 5th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Just looked that up, and this clip is amazing!

http://youtu.be/je-gpy6Y_UA

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Just looked that up, and this clip is amazing!

http://youtu.be/je-gpy6Y_UA

One of the greatest rants of all-time. Required viewing in my book.

Catbooster
January 6th, 2015, 12:32 PM
So reportedly, each school in the conference will get 6 figures? I assume both conferences would share in that, so about 20 schools combined = 2 million minimum (I assume the two participating schools get more). Much more than I would have guessed, as I would think this game would do no better than the lower tier bowls and I thought they were worth less than 2 million.

Even at that, it doesn't seem a huge payoff for skipping the playoffs, as a normal FBS non-conference game brings in several times that. But I'm an alum of a school in a far different situation.

major095
January 6th, 2015, 02:46 PM
So reportedly, each school in the conference will get 6 figures? I assume both conferences would share in that, so about 20 schools combined = 2 million minimum (I assume the two participating schools get more). Much more than I would have guessed, as I would think this game would do no better than the lower tier bowls and I thought they were worth less than 2 million.

Even at that, it doesn't seem a huge payoff for skipping the playoffs, as a normal FBS non-conference game brings in several times that. But I'm an alum of a school in a far different situation.

each conference reportedly will get a mill, with the participating school getting the lion's share. so, 500 to 700k for the participating school, or... they could go to the playoffs, not be on espn and lose money instead. xeyebrowx

tribe_pride
January 6th, 2015, 03:41 PM
each conference reportedly will get a mill, with the participating school getting the lion's share. so, 500 to 700k for the participating school, or... they could go to the playoffs, not be on espn and lose in the opening round of the playoffs again instead. xeyebrowx

Fixed

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2015, 03:53 PM
each conference reportedly will get a mill, with the participating school getting the lion's share. so, 500 to 700k for the participating school, or... they could go to the playoffs, not be on espn and lose money instead. xeyebrowx
NDSU is about to be on the ESPN networks for the 3rd time in this years FCS playoffs and 10th time over the last 4 years. Their first game of the year next year will be on ESPN. You only lose money on the FCS playoffs if you bid more than the tickets you're able to sell. The NCAA may lose money but the participating schools do not if they're responsible.

Grizalltheway
January 6th, 2015, 05:27 PM

coughSader87cough

Hammerhead
January 6th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Can schools bring in recruits during the playoffs?

danefan
January 7th, 2015, 07:25 AM
NDSU is about to be on the ESPN networks for the 3rd time in this years FCS playoffs and 10th time over the last 4 years. Their first game of the year next year will be on ESPN. You only lose money on the FCS playoffs if you bid more than the tickets you're able to sell. The NCAA may lose money but the participating schools do not if they're responsible.

Key point. But also one of the problems with the playoff setup. You shouldn't have to pay to host a game. It should be merit based. I understand why it's done, but it's a weakness in the current system.