PDA

View Full Version : Since FBS now has a real championship format, shouldn't we go back to I-A and I-AA?

catamount man
January 4th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Makes sense to me. FBS and FCS are irrelevant. GO CATS!!!

OL FU
January 4th, 2015, 08:32 AM
We aren't I-AAxeekx

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 4th, 2015, 08:33 AM
The FBS still doesn't have a real championship format even if it has improved.

clenz
January 4th, 2015, 09:29 AM
No.

They still use the bowl system all the way through.

Also, the title they play for isn't an NCAA title and shouldn't be recognized as such

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
January 4th, 2015, 10:14 AM
No.

Also, the title they play for isn't an NCAA title and shouldn't be recognized as such

Clenz nails it. The FCS is still the highest level of NCAA competition.

PAllen
January 4th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Once they get their playoff to 8 then yeah, there's no reason for the "Championship" differentiator. Especially as FCS is losing participation percentage.

clenz
January 4th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Once they get their playoff to 8 then yeah, there's no reason for the "Championship" differentiator. Especially as FCS is losing participation percentage.
They will still be using bowls, especially to determine the championship. The Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange will all be part of any title playoff.

Still the bowl subdivision

WestCoastAggie
January 4th, 2015, 03:30 PM
No.

It's not the "FBS's" fault their parent can't keep them in line. Although the system needs to be reformed, still, that system is still the "highest" collegiate football playoff system.

Herder
January 4th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Makes sense to me. FBS and FCS are irrelevant. GO CATS!!!

Not unless you want your basketball team referred to as IAA. Last time I checked their is only 1 Division (DI), with two Sub-Divisions for Football only. No, we shouldn't.

DIAA labels all sports, and does so incorrectly. FCS football schools are DI, not DIAA. If you want to change the SubDivision titles, then so be. But don't change the Division Labeling. It's just DI.

kdinva
January 4th, 2015, 04:35 PM
No.......Also, the title they play for isn't an NCAA title and shouldn't be recognized as such....

tell that to the writers for those stupid Dr. Pepper ads.....

344Johnson
January 4th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Not unless you want your basketball team referred to as IAA. Last time I checked their is only 1 Division (DI), with two Sub-Divisions for Football only. No, we shouldn't.

DIAA labels all sports, and does so incorrectly. FCS football schools are DI, not DIAA. If you want to change the SubDivision titles, then so be. But don't change the Division Labeling. It's just DI.

In ND we have Class A and B. But for football the breakdown is different. If they use the term 1AA football, it is the exact same as saying FCS.

FCS does a better job though. Less confusion.

Bisonwinagn
January 4th, 2015, 07:03 PM
It's not the "FBS's" fault their parent can't keep them in line. Although the system needs to be reformed, still, that system is still the "highest" collegiate football playoff system.

To be clear the FBS bowls and playoffs have nothing to do with the NCAA. They are independent entities that have created the so called playoff so the NCAA has no control or say in anything.

Catsfan90
January 4th, 2015, 07:21 PM
To be clear the FBS bowls and playoffs have nothing to do with the NCAA. They are independent entities that have created the so called playoff so the NCAA has no control or say in anything.
From the way that the NCAA has handled certain situations in the past at the FBS level, that may not be such a bad thing.

Herder
January 4th, 2015, 08:28 PM
In ND we have Class A and B. But for football the breakdown is different. If they use the term 1AA football, it is the exact same as saying FCS.

FCS does a better job though. Less confusion.

You are clearly confused if you think that DI (FCS Football) is the same as using DIAA.

Division SubDivision
DIAA (nothing)
DI FCS football Only

The problem with using the DIAA (Divison Label) is that your Basketball, Baseball, Wresting, Volleyball, and every other sport that complete for the DI championship are also incorrectly labeled as DIAA. The NCAA finally fixed it, and you want to go back to DIAA? God help you.

344Johnson
January 4th, 2015, 11:04 PM
You are clearly confused if you think that DI (FCS Football) is the same as using DIAA.

Division SubDivision
DIAA (nothing)
DI FCS football Only

The problem with using the DIAA (Divison Label) is that your Basketball, Baseball, Wresting, Volleyball, and every other sport that complete for the DI championship are also incorrectly labeled as DIAA. The NCAA finally fixed it, and you want to go back to DIAA? God help you.

"What division is ndsu?"

"Division 1."

"A or AA for football?" Or "FBS or FCS?"

"AA." Or "FCS."

I'm saying it really doesn't matter what you call it. It's a football classification. Not terribly important.

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2015, 11:06 PM

The NCAA sanctions the games. Without their approval they dont happen.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I say leave it alone. It's still FBS and FCS because of the bowl system in FBS and FCS is still the only NCAA sanctioned playoff championship.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Agreed!!!!

clenz
January 5th, 2015, 10:15 AM
"What division is ndsu?"

"Division 1."

"A or AA for football?" Or "FBS or FCS?"

"AA." Or "FCS."

I'm saying it really doesn't matter what you call it. It's a football classification. Not terribly important.
It does matter though, that's why it was changed to begin with.

The issue is 1AA throws a D2 connotation on...and that is something that schools that fight, in close proximity, to P5/G5 schools for recruits for all sports. It's used as a "they are D2" tactic. It has a significant impact on recruiting. UNI has landed guys since the 1AA moniker was dropped that they likely wouldn't have before in football and basketball.

kdinva
January 5th, 2015, 10:38 AM
The issue is 1AA throws a D2 connotation on....

....and that's just fine w/Herbstreit..... xdrunkyx

OSBF
January 5th, 2015, 10:58 AM
They will still be using bowls, especially to determine the championship. The Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange will all be part of any title playoff.

Still the bowl subdivision

And the intended consequence of this is the need to add more bowls on the bottom end

If you have the situation where the winner of a bowl advances to play in another bowl that means fewer available slots for bowl eligible teams

They'll have the choice of bowl eligible teams not getting to go or adding more crappy bowls that no body except the schools involved care about

And you know what will happen, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Does ESPN really have a money waterfall in their Bristol, CT offices that allows them to pretty much spend money on whatever they feel like?

clenz
January 5th, 2015, 11:01 AM
And the intended consequence of this is the need to add more bowls on the bottom end

If you have the situation where the winner of a bowl advances to play in another bowl that means fewer available slots for bowl eligible teams

They'll have the choice of bowl eligible teams not getting to go or adding more crappy bowls that no body except the schools involved care about

And you know what will happen, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I think the plan is to only include the 4 "major" bowls.

Right now they rotate them as semi-final sites, with the national title game. (Rose and Sugar this year with the Orange and Fiesta running as normal...next Orange and Fiesta as semi with Rose and Sugar running as normal).

Going to 8 would likely mean the same thing.

Quarterfinal match ups (likely home host sites but paid out like a bowl) with the winners going to the bowls then to the national title game.

OSBF
January 5th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Does ESPN really have a money waterfall in their Bristol, CT offices that allows them to pretty much spend money on whatever they feel like?

It's right next to the Ticket Oak

UNIFanSince1983
January 5th, 2015, 01:31 PM

Right now they rotate them as semi-final sites, with the national title game. (Rose and Sugar this year with the Orange and Fiesta running as normal...next Orange and Fiesta as semi with Rose and Sugar running as normal).

Quarterfinal match ups (likely home host sites but paid out like a bowl) with the winners going to the bowls then to the national title game.

There are actually 6 that rotate as semi-final matchups I am pretty sure. I think the Cotton and Peach bowl are added into the mix.

clenz
January 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM
There are actually 6 that rotate as semi-final matchups I am pretty sure. I think the Cotton and Peach bowl are added into the mix.
Where they really?

That makes it a bit easier...
4 quarterfinal games as bowls
2 semifinal games as bowls
rotate sites as semifinal and quarterfinal hosts

Though that might mean potential issues with someone winning the Sugar, Rose, and title all in one year.

walliver
January 5th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I think there will be a lot of resistance to moving beyond 4 teams, despite the OSU/TCU controversy this year. If there is a change, I suspect 6 teams is more likely. If there were 8 teams and quarterfinals were played before New Years, then 4 of the top 8 teams in the country would miss out on the New Years Bowl experience. Obviously the New Years non-playoff bowls could accept the losers of the 4 quarterfinal games. But, to do this the games would have to be played early enough (early December) so that the other bowls could make their schedules. Furthermore, none of the big bowls really wants to get stuck with a G5 champion which lost in the quarters.

I never really like the FCS name as it is not something that rolls off the tongue, but I can't really think of a better name (I-AA has its obvious issues).

MR. CHICKEN
January 5th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I think there will be a lot of resistance to moving beyond 4 teams, despite the OSU/TCU controversy this year. If there is a change, I suspect 6 teams is more likely. If there were 8 teams and quarterfinals were played before New Years, then 4 of the top 8 teams in the country would miss out on the New Years Bowl experience. Obviously the New Years non-playoff bowls could accept the losers of the 4 quarterfinal games. But, to do this the games would have to be played early enough (early December) so that the other bowls could make their schedules. Furthermore, none of the big bowls really wants to get stuck with a G5 champion which lost in the quarters.

I never really like the FCS name as it is not something that rolls off the tongue, but I can't really think of a better name (I-AA has its obvious issues).

20436.........WHICH TEAM GETS DUH...BAH WEEK.....IN DIS SCENARIO......xdontknowx.....BRAWK!

.........IFIN' UH CHANGE.....MAKE EIGHT....TAKSAN DUCATS...$$$.....TA BE MADE....COOD BE ARRANGED.....xnodx....AWK!

SENT FROM MAH COMPUTER.....HAL

EAT MO' BEEF.......BURGERS AN' FRIES....NOT....FOWL/FRIES!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2015, 02:31 PM

OT a little, but a bit germane to this discussion: Does it seem plausible with conference championship games that at-large teams could make it in at all?

Let's say Alabama had lost to Missouri in their champ game. Would they have still been ahead of TCU?

I say this because: with a 6-team playoff as walliver noted, you could get the five conference champions and a particularly great at-large team into the field, ex. an Alabama team that lost their championship game. With all the P5 conferences sharing in the excitement and money, with nobody screwed out of big money and the G5 still effectively shut out, it seems like the logical conclusion.

Most years the 5/6 game would be a weak conference champion vs. the strongest at-large team as well.

MR. CHICKEN
January 5th, 2015, 02:54 PM
...WHAA AM AH MISSIN'.....6 TEAMS LEAVES 3 SQWADS STANDIN'......HOW YA MANAGE DAT........AWK?????

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2015, 03:04 PM
...WHAA AM AH MISSIN'.....6 TEAMS LEAVES 3 SQWADS STANDIN'......HOW YA MANAGE DAT........AWK?????

I'm only counting P5 teams, which is I feel how the CFP is designed. All the P5 conference champions + 1 P5 at-large.

BisonBacker
January 5th, 2015, 03:23 PM
The FBS still doesn't have a real championship format even if it has improved.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

MR. CHICKEN
January 5th, 2015, 04:53 PM
I'm only counting P5 teams, which is I feel how the CFP is designed. All the P5 conference champions + 1 P5 at-large.

20438....NOT QUESTIONIN'..DUH MAKE-UP....BUT...SIX TEAM PLAY-OFF= 3 GAMES ......3 GAMES=3 WINNERS.....3 WINNERS=WHO'S DUH 3rd TEAM PLAYIN' ...IN ROUND TWO...SOMEHOW ONE SQWAD...GETS UH BAH...O'......WHAA'...........xconfusedx...BRAWK!

Lehigh'98
January 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Two squads would get a bye actually.

UNIFanSince1983
January 5th, 2015, 07:40 PM
20438....NOT QUESTIONIN'..DUH MAKE-UP....BUT...SIX TEAM PLAY-OFF= 3 GAMES ......3 GAMES=3 WINNERS.....3 WINNERS=WHO'S DUH 3rd TEAM PLAYIN' ...IN ROUND TWO...SOMEHOW ONE SQWAD...GETS UH BAH...O'......WHAA'...........xconfusedx...BRAWK!

It would work the same was as the NFL playoffs currently work. Top 2 teams with byes.

GoAgs72
January 5th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Just for discussion purposes, if we are all division 1, why are FBS teams only allowed to play one FCS team but any number of bad FBS teams that are not as good as the better FCS teams?

clenz
January 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Just for discussion purposes, if we are all division 1, why are FBS teams only allowed to play one FCS team but any number of bad FBS teams that are not as good as the better FCS teams?
Not sure what you're asking.

We are all D1.
We are different subdivisions of D1.
FBS schools can only have 1 FCS school (that is full scholarship) count towards their win total towards bowl eligibility

GoAgs72
January 5th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Not sure what you're asking.

We are all D1.
We are different subdivisions of D1.
FBS schools can only have 1 FCS school (that is full scholarship) count towards their win total towards bowl eligibility

Just appears like we are not all division 1 - it sounds like we are different divisions.

clenz
January 5th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Just appears like we are not all division 1 - it sounds like we are different divisions.

different sub divisions

GoAgs72
January 5th, 2015, 09:25 PM
We may labeled DI but to most fans other than FCS we are really the equivalent of D2, and D2 is D3 and D3 is D4. I do agree it doesn't apply to sports other than football. I think we're puffing up our chests a little when we think we're the same as FBS (but different). They don't treat us as anywhere near equals and we make a huge deal about beating an FBS team, even if it's not that good. We need something to talk about in the off-season, so this should get some people steamed.