PDA

View Full Version : The time line of the championship game needs to be moved up

penguinpower
January 4th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Seems like an eternity. Has it already been 3 weeks?

Lehigh'98
January 4th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I agree, 3 weeks is a complete joke. Any modicum of interest from the general fan is gone by now.

Professor Chaos
January 4th, 2015, 08:42 AM
While I wouldn't have minded it being moved up to yesterday (1/3) I really like the time off better than the old format when you had 7 or 6 days, depending on which semi you played in, until the title game. Travel plans are much easier to make for fans, teams can get healthy to allow them to put the best product on the field, and perhaps most importantly it allows the participating teams to have a bunch of extra practices to develop their younger guys including the guys currently redshirting.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 4th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Easier to make travel arrangements for Jan 10th than it would have been the past two weekends! If you're truly interested, you maintain interest. Too bad they aren't marketing a D-I National Championship Weekend/Doubleheader for TV viewers!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 4th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I thought it was yesterday until 3-4 days ago. I agree that the extended time allows fans to make travels plans. Plus, it moves the game away from the cluster bleep that is the holidays for most people. Still, it seems so far detached from the rest of the FCS season. At least with FBS you have a gazillion bowl games leading up to the championship. In FCS, 90% of the teams stopped playing well over a month ago. I'm in full college bball mode along with the NFL playoffs....

lionsrking2
January 4th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Easier to make travel arrangements for Jan 10th than it would have been the past two weekends! If you're truly interested, you maintain interest. Too bad they aren't marketing a D-I National Championship Weekend/Doubleheader for TV viewers!!

I agree. If you can't maintain interest, you probably aren't interested in the first place. I have no problem with the extra time for reasons already stated.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 4th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I agree. If you can't maintain interest, you probably aren't interested in the first place. I have no problem with the extra time for reasons already stated.

You're really talking about the 2% though. I have major interest and will watch the game. That still doesn't change the fact that I forgot when it was. I think having a clean and concise tournament benefits everyone. The one great thing about the NCAA bball tournament is how quickly it moves. You have this huge bracket and before you know it everyones gone and it's Championship Monday.

I always liked the 1AA, D2, D3 title games the same weekend.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 4th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately, football can't play two games a weekend like basketball does. And to allow every conference that wants to participate to have an AQ, mandates a five week tournament. And the FCS playoffs will always be a NCAA event; therefore, it will never be an 8 or 16 team event again because nobody else will step up and sponsor the event.

If I-AA, D2 and D3 held their championships at the same venue on the same weekend, I would try to attend every year regardless of whether UNH was playing. I like football enough and would like to support all three levels of true college (not semi-professional like so much of FBS) football. Three such games would justify the expense and having it on a Jan 10th away from the holidays would make it more feasible to attend.

bluehenbillk
January 5th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I agree 1000% that having the game January 10th is bad for a number of reasons. Moving it up a week to 1/3 as previously suggested would've been much better - if not have it between XMas & New Years.

blackbeard
January 5th, 2015, 08:33 AM
This past Saturday, January 3, would have been ideal. But January 10 may be pretty good TV numbers, no other college games and fans still hungry for college football.

AmsterBison
January 5th, 2015, 08:59 AM
First weekend after New Years seems about right. The 10th is awfully late. That said, the biggest problem is that the game gets put on ESPN2 instead of ESPN... er, and that the basketball game they put on before it will probably run late.

Professor Chaos
January 5th, 2015, 09:07 AM
I was hoping ESPN would run some abbreviated version of College Gameday on the last Saturday of the college football season where they would pump the FCS game a little bit but looks like it's all Sportscenter and NFL Countdown before basketball gets started that morning.

Professor Chaos
January 5th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Another interesting factoid about NDSU's season is this Saturday will be the 20th Saturday of their college football season (8/30 being the first). With the early start to the season next year in Montana there will only be 32 Saturdays until the next season starts. Let the countdown begin on Monday!

Herder
January 5th, 2015, 09:26 AM
With all the talk about what's better, a Bowl game or a Playoff . . . I think I like both. A nice playoff season in Nov-Dec, then a Championship Game during Bowl season January. It's the best of both worlds. 2-3 weeks is the right timing to coordinate travel and for teams to heal up, it just so happens that this year is the 3 week version.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I prefer 2 weeks between the semi's and final. Would have preferred 1/3 but not a huge deal.

walliver
January 5th, 2015, 02:09 PM
The old system never really worked. Booking flights with only 5-6 days notice doesn't get the best rates, and is a major hassle for fans who may have to make work arrangements, reschedule family events, etc. You don't have to go very far back to see NC games played in front of thousands of empty seats. I personally would like the game moved up a little, January 10 is just too late.

Fear the Bird
January 5th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Seems like most people keep going back to booking flights as the big reason why this huge layoff is a plus. Doesn't this scream out for the horrendous choice of location? I know that schools that have been successful recently (NDSU, EWU) would have to fly regardless but wasn't Chatty so much more convenient for at minimum 2/3 of the FCS landscape to drive to and not worry about booking flights? I know I made the 13 hour drive in 2003 and 2007. Outside of UNH and Maine, the CAA could drive to Chatty. I know the So Con could. Isn't Frisco the bigger issue here? And I know I'm beating an old dead horse so I will give myself the xdeadhorsex

NoDak 4 Ever
January 5th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Seems like most people keep going back to booking flights as the big reason why this huge layoff is a plus. Doesn't this scream out for the horrendous choice of location? I know that schools that have been successful recently (NDSU, EWU) would have to fly regardless but wasn't Chatty so much more convenient for at minimum 2/3 of the FCS landscape to drive to and not worry about booking flights? I know I made the 13 hour drive in 2003 and 2007. Outside of UNH and Maine, the CAA could drive to Chatty. I know the So Con could. Isn't Frisco the bigger issue here? And I know I'm beating an old dead horse so I will give myself the xdeadhorsex

Frisco is near 2 major airports, the 8th largest metropolitan area in the country, should usually have good weather and has a very good selection of hotels and restaurants. Both the city and stadium are much newer and cleaner.

frozennorth
January 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM

Most ndsu types drive.

marenlee
January 5th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I'm making the 18 hour drive no problem from SE Georgia. Would drive even longer. Frisco is a great location with so many amenities in the area.

Catsfan90
January 5th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I was actually just thinking this. I am sure that they will use the FCS championship to advertise for the FBS championship. But that's about it.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2015, 08:04 PM
I was actually just thinking this. I am sure that they will use the FCS championship to advertise for the FBS championship. But that's about it.

Oh without a doubt. I can't wait for the halftime breakdown of Ohio State and Oregon.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2015, 08:06 PM

Actually should probably be moved to Fargo. :D

Catsfan90
January 5th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Oh without a doubt. I can't wait for the halftime breakdown of Ohio State and Oregon.
I heard they had to hire a bunch of writers, because the original staff was confused when they were told they were going to have to fill hours of NC coverage. Without any SEC teams involved.

Bisonwinagn
January 5th, 2015, 10:42 PM
I would love to see the FCS and FBS games back to back on Saturday. That would be ideal. Of course nobody would watch the NFL playoff game then.

Catsfan90
January 5th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I would love to see the FCS and FBS games back to back on Saturday. That would be ideal. Of course nobody would watch the NFL playoff game then.

I could see that going horribly. They would be more interested in the pregame hype for the FBS than any FCS coverage. I think that the FCS chip needs to be separated as much as possible.

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I love the three week buildup, plus being able to relaxing with family during the holidays. Best scenario would is having the Championship the same weekend as FBS.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 6th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I love the three week buildup, plus being able to relaxing with family during the holidays. Best scenario would is having the Championship the same weekend as FBS.

It essentially is.

Missingnumber7
January 6th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Wasn't the game always on a friday night in Chatty or has it always been midday Saturday?

My comments being it is always during the NFL playoffs, which are played Sat/Sun, and the FBS champ game is always the Monday after...so why not play on a friday night...prime the football pump a little. Maybe even get an ESPN prime slot with it instead of being buried on a Saturday afternoon.
Although it wouldn't be as bad if ESPN pimped it a little bit.

PAllen
January 6th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Wasn't the game always on a friday night in Chatty or has it always been midday Saturday?

My comments being it is always during the NFL playoffs, which are played Sat/Sun, and the FBS champ game is always the Monday after...so why not play on a friday night...prime the football pump a little. Maybe even get an ESPN prime slot with it instead of being buried on a Saturday afternoon.
Although it wouldn't be as bad if ESPN pimped it a little bit.

It was traditionally played on Sat afternoon. Friday is just terrible. There should only be two NFL games on any playoff Saturday, so why not take the other time slot? Oh that's right, it's road to the final four time. All the more reason to have it earlier.

Grizalltheway
January 6th, 2015, 05:25 PM
It was traditionally played on Sat afternoon. Friday is just terrible. There should only be two NFL games on any playoff Saturday, so why not take the other time slot? Oh that's right, it's road to the final four time. All the more reason to have it earlier.

Define "traditionally"? All the years it was in Chatty it was on Friday night (for better or for worse).xconfusedx

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Define "traditionally"? All the years it was in Chatty it was on Friday night (for better or for worse).xconfusedx

IIRC, the UNI-WKU title game in 2002 was the first year it was played on Friday night.

PAllen
January 6th, 2015, 08:10 PM
IIRC, the UNI-WKU title game in 2002 was the first year it was played on Friday night.

I don't recall the exact year, but it was the early 2000s when it got moved to Friday night, so that leaves the first 20+ years of it's existence as my "traditionally".

Just looked it up, 2001 was the first year as a Friday night game.

mvemjsunpx
January 6th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I don't recall the exact year, but it was the early 2000s when it got moved to Friday night, so that leaves the first 20+ years of it's existence as my "traditionally".

Just looked it up, 2001 was the first year as a Friday night game.

Right. It was originally scheduled for Saturday afternoon (like previous years), but was moved to the following Friday after the playoffs were pushed back a week due to 9/11. The Friday evening/night timeslots stuck until the 2010 expansion.

I understand why the game has to be delayed till January, but I don't really understand why it has to wait all the way until the second Saturday. The EWU/Delaware title game was on a weeknight during primetime, so I'm not sure why that still can't be the case. I would have to think that would provide better exposure than the current too-early Saturday slot.

Gil Dobie
January 7th, 2015, 05:17 AM
This board would be pretty dead if the game had been played last weekend.