PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Money given to each school?

Freightliner
November 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Here's an interesting question for all of the elder sages around here.

I know this happens in I-A, but does it happen in I-AA where a team that makes the playoffs and also goes deep into the playoffs, a certain amount of money goes to the Conference.

Example - last year TX State making it all the way to the Semis and the Southland Conference getting 500,000 (hypothetically mind you)from the NCAA to distribute to each conference team.

Anybody know if this happens?

GannonFan
November 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Nope, that doesn't happen. For it to happen, the playoffs would need to be a significant revenue generator, which they are not. You can make a little bit of money off of the playoffs, but not much, and most schools probably lose a little bit. When you don't have a lot, it's hard to share it. :nod:

KiddBrewer
November 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM
one very big reason why the Division I Bowl Series doesnt adapt the playoff system.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
one very big reason why the Division I Bowl Series doesnt adapt the playoff system.

Now see, I don't buy that. A playoff system at the DIA level could be very similar and exclusive to what they already have in the BCS - they already share the BCS money amongst the 6 major conferences and a little money gets shared with the rest of IA. A playoff wouldn't change that at all, especially a limited playoff, say a 4 team playoff. I think, at this point, they are just stubborn and I think the bowl people have a lot of say and that's why a playoff hasn't happened yet. It will eventually, just a matter of when.

November 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I-AA conferences get bCS money too. Basically in I-AA the NCAA pays for the events and hosts keep a portion of the returns.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Now see, I don't buy that. A playoff system at the DIA level could be very similar and exclusive to what they already have in the BCS - they already share the BCS money amongst the 6 major conferences and a little money gets shared with the rest of IA. A playoff wouldn't change that at all, especially a limited playoff, say a 4 team playoff. I think, at this point, they are just stubborn and I think the bowl people have a lot of say and that's why a playoff hasn't happened yet. It will eventually, just a matter of when.

I agree. TV and advertising money would be HUGE!! Think about an eight team playoff where every game was on national TV (you could get four games on in one day - 12, 3, 6 and 9, maybe even one on Friday night). Huge TV audiences for each game would equal mega dollars.

th0m
November 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't know if 4 games in one single day would really be that lucrative. Two a day sounds better. But I agree, I don't see how playoff games wouldn't work in I-A. You basically have 'bowl'-games in terms of matchups, and you end up with a "National Champion" by actually proving it on the field, not by some poll.

UNHFan99
November 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
If the host doesnt get the required amount of attendance they have to pay for the extra tickets out of their pocket. I thinks its 13,000 attendance for 1-AA playoffs. So some schools definitelly lose money.

KiddBrewer
November 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM

agreed, but i think 4 to 8 teams at the most is all they would go for any time soon. They are stubborn, as you said.

GSUISBACK
November 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Ncaa needs to Get Sponsorships. A 3 million dollar deal would pay the each school at least 100k and the two final teams would get 400k each.

The NCAA MANDATES a min payout for a bowl game at750k for each school.

SeattleGriz
November 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM
agreed, but i think 4 to 8 teams at the most is all they would go for any time soon. They are stubborn, as you said.

Eight would be great. Still too top heavy in I-A to look much past #8.

jmuroller
November 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
If the host doesnt get the required amount of attendance they have to pay for the extra tickets out of their pocket. I thinks its 13,000 attendance for 1-AA playoffs. So some schools definitelly lose money.

Each round has a "minimum" bid required to host. I believe it is 30k, 40k, and 50k for each round. Of course teams bid higher than this to receive a home game if both teams aren't seeded. Whatever their bid was the school has to give the NCAA that much cash no matter what. After that, any extra revenue generated off ticket sales the school has to give the NCAA 75% of those profits.

SoCon48
November 15th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Each round has a "minimum" bid required to host. I believe it is 30k, 40k, and 50k for each round. Of course teams bid higher than this to receive a home game if both teams aren't seeded. Whatever their bid was the school has to give the NCAA that much cash no matter what. After that, any extra revenue generated off ticket sales the school has to give the NCAA 75% of those profits.

That's my understanding, too, jmuroller, except I thought the incremental minimum bids started a bit higher.

jmuroller
November 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
That's my understanding, too, jmuroller, except I thought the incremental minimum bids started a bit higher.

I'm not sure about the exact numbers. For some reason 30, 40, and 50 popped into my head. I will make a call this afternoon and try to find out.

appfan2008
November 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I think the NCAA should get a title sponsor for the playoffs as a whole say the "Coca Cola IAA playoffs" then use that money generated to reward the teams in the playoffs in an incrimental (i spelled that wrong) basis

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I'm sorry but if a team can't get that many for a playoff game do they belong in IAA? I would have to say no.

henfan
November 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
The minimum bid amounts are indeed $30K, $40K and $50K for 2006.

Bisonbacker, stick around the division long enough and you'll discover how difficult it is to get 13K to home playoff games, especially 1st Round games. The NCAA and host schools have less than 5 days to sell tickets. Fans who would otherwise attend games already have plans, especially for the Thanksgiving holiday. It's just not as easy as getting fans to regular season games, as NDSU will soon find out.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry but if a team can't get that many for a playoff game do they belong in IAA? I would have to say no.

I don't have the data right in front of me, but at least back in 2003 only Montana and Delaware got more than 13,000 for their respective first round games - even the Georgia Southern's of the world struggle with attendance in the playoffs, especially for the first round (Thanksgiving weekend, people travelling, don't know until the Sunday before that there'll even be a home game, students not on campus, etc). If you had that criteria then I-AA probably wouldn't have more than maybe 10 teams. xcoffeex

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM
The minimum bid amounts are indeed $30K, $40K and $50K for 2006.

Bisonbacker, stick around the division long enough and you'll discover how difficult it is to get 13K to home playoff games, especially 1st Round games. The NCAA and host schools have less than 5 days to sell tickets. Fans who would otherwise attend games already have plans, especially for the Thanksgiving holiday. It's just not as easy as getting fans to regular season games, as NDSU will soon find out.

I understand that planning on short notice makes it difficult but I can guarantee you that if NDSU was hosting a playoff game we would definetly be above 13,000 even with student or at least most of them on break. Especially given the playoff drought here in Fargo it's time for us to get back in the mix. I just hope our team is as good in 08 as the one we have this year, they are a special bunch and a fun team to watch. :thumbsup:

Umass74
November 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I've often wondered why the NCAA would not try to sell the National Championship game as the "Verizon I-AA National Championship Game!"

Hell, all those crappy minor bowls have sponsors.

I'd give it up if some company wanted to put some $$$ into the cash-strapped I-AA tourney.

I could write the copy myself. "Division I-AA wins championships on the field! We here at Verizon/Roto-Rooter/Costco/Yamaha Off Road Vehicles want to be a winner for you!"

Maverick
November 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Those "crappy" bowls are not sold by the NCAA. They are sold by a local organization that runs the bowl game. The NCAA doesn't sell the I-AA game for the same reason it doesn't sell the NCAA Basketball tournament. Corporate sponsorships do not include naming rights for events. Name another NCAA championship that has a "corporate" name.

The NCAA does not control the bowl games hence there is only one D-I football champion and one BCS champion. The D-I champion is crowned in Chattanooga.

I am sure that those legislators who are requesting the NCAA to appear before it would be very interested in the NCAA "selling" the naming rights to a championship event. They can defend corporate sponsorship and the NCAA tournament sponsorship (they return money to the conferences/schools) and other ways they return money to the schools.

November 16th, 2006, 09:20 PM
... Name another NCAA championship that has a "corporate" name...Heck, name any NCAA championship that has a "corporate" name.