PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs Hurt Immensely by Exit of the MEAC

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2014, 11:36 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/12/2014-saw-all-of-division-i-football.html

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 11:38 AM
tl:dr

Wrong. wrong. wrong.

TheRevSFA
December 31st, 2014, 11:47 AM
Maybe now Lehigh will get in...

rokamortis
December 31st, 2014, 11:52 AM
2014 won't be seen as the year that the FCS playoffs died. But it might be seen as the year when it faded into obscurity - thanks to cliques.

Perhaps 2014 will be seen as the year the Pioneer League saved the playoffs.

Wallace
December 31st, 2014, 11:58 AM
FCS Playoffs Hurt Immensely by Exit of the MEAC
I agree with the essence of this article. The NCAA D-I football championships are hurt if the Ivy and HBCUs are not in it. I used to call them two of the jewels of this level and it appears neither want the term FCS associated with them anymore. Sad times.

Hammerhead
December 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Maybe it's time for the NCAA to split the money from March Madness to D-II or even D-III schools so the D-1 (in name only schools) drop down where they belong.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 12:06 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't see the MVFC, Southland, CAA, Southern, Big South, Big Sky, OVC or any other conference that has had a hint of success in the playoffs trying to do anything different.

Those conferences offer 66 teams for 20-24 spots. The rest is just filler.

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2014, 12:09 PM
Maybe it's time for the NCAA to split the money from March Madness to D-II or even D-III schools so the D-1 (in name only schools) drop down where they belong.

Be careful what you wish for. A lot of I-AA playoff-eligible schools would be considered Div. I in name only.

Dane96
December 31st, 2014, 12:12 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/12/2014-saw-all-of-division-i-football.html

LMAO

TypicalTribe
December 31st, 2014, 12:20 PM
I'm sorry, but the playoffs are not "deeply damaged" by the MEAC's departure. The MEAC has rarely been involved for more than one round for a generation, so there has been little to no impact at all. The FCS playoffs have been most damaged by overexpansion and watered-down at-large pools.

PantherRob82
December 31st, 2014, 12:25 PM
I don't see how the playoffs are damaged by expansion. Weak autobids have to prove themselves and teams on the fringe have a chance to win their way in.

underdawg
December 31st, 2014, 12:33 PM
hardy-har-har! What a POS article--good riddens to the MEAC!

Gangtackle11
December 31st, 2014, 12:37 PM
I don't think the MEAC bowing out of the FCS playoffs is a big blow as a singular event, but the shift to the P5 in the FBS will probably be felt at the FCS level over time. It is to be seen whether FCS programs will justify perceived or real deficits incurred by football programs with dwindling crowds (at some not all FCS programs) & no FBS guaranteed games to help subsidize the programs. The next 5 years should be very very interesting.

Dane96
December 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry, but the playoffs are not "deeply damaged" by the MEAC's departure. The MEAC has rarely been involved for more than one round for a generation, so there has been little to no impact at all. The FCS playoffs have been most damaged by overexpansion and watered-down at-large pools.

Thank you...as someone else read the same exact quote and had the same exact response as me. Furthermore, later on (maybe a paragraph later) he makes another circular reasoning statement. There is no "because" or "factual linkage" that you can even start thinking to yourself, "Hmmm...maybe the author is right".

Bisonator
December 31st, 2014, 12:42 PM
How can the playoffs be weakened by the lack of one of the weaker teams in the field? IMO the playoff field gets strengthened.

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM
In reality, there 's no reason why schools should be forced to play in the post-season...it's the post-season, after all. Notre Dame declined post-season bids for nearly 50 years and if BYU was offered a playoff game that fell on a Sunday, it would most surely decline it.

Maybe the problem the subdivision needs to focus on is that the playoffs have become the MVC, the CAA, and everyone else.

Then again, there's no requirement a team play a full 11/12 game schedule, either.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 31st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Hurt?

Doubt it. Better teams from the Big Sky, Valley, CAA, Southern or OVC can take the spot.

Professor Chaos
December 31st, 2014, 12:46 PM
Hurt?

Doubt it. Better teams from the Big Sky, Valley, CAA, Southern or OVC can take the spot.
Yep, replace Morgan St with Idaho St and you've instantly got a more competitive tournament where Richmond would've really had to show up in the first round to advance.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Yep, replace Morgan St with Idaho St and you've instantly got a more competitive tournament where Richmond would've really had to show up in the first round to advance.

This.The argument about wanting more conferences is conflating breadth with depth.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2014, 12:48 PM
How can the playoffs be weakened by the lack of one of the weaker teams in the field? IMO the playoff field gets strengthened.

Do you feel like a CFP without Boise State's participation helps, or hurts, the playoffs? Boise State may not win but Auburn may not win, either, and the loser is the CFP. They need fewer schools that look exactly like them.

WestCoastAggie
December 31st, 2014, 12:56 PM

You might wanna hold up just a bit here. The MEAC may not be going anywhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2014, 12:57 PM
In reality, there 's no reason why schools should be forced to play in the post-season...it's the post-season, after all. Notre Dame declined post-season bids for nearly 50 years and if BYU was offered a playoff game that fell on a Sunday, it would most surely decline it.

Maybe the problem the subdivision needs to focus on is that the playoffs have become the MVC, the CAA, and everyone else.

Then again, there's no requirement a team play a full 11/12 game schedule, either.

And now, the playoffs have one less conference to kick around, with the replacement team being... A MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA team. Homogeneity.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 31st, 2014, 01:00 PM
I have some good memories of playing MEAC teams in the playoffs. The fans that FAMU and SCSU in particular brought to Georgia Southern were the most lively, spirited, and friendly we've ever had in our stadium. It's sad to see them throw in the towel for the playoffs, but ultimately I think it's for the best. I don't see things getting any easier financially for HBCU's down the road with the way enrollment is declining, and being competitive in the FCS is going to take money that will be harder for HBCU's to come by. If you can get 50k for a Heritage Bowl and TV coverage better than the vast majority of FCS games, I say you have to go for it.

Ultimately it's about each institution pursuing what is best for them.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 01:12 PM
And now, the playoffs have one less conference to kick around, with the replacement team being... A MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA team. Homogeneity.

answer the above scenario about Idaho State. Tell me that it was better with Morgan getting **** stomped. Or Bethune Cookman a couple years ago.

MEAC, NEC, Pioneer, it's all roadkill. Who cares what flavor it is?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 01:15 PM
You somehow think it's the power conferences or the NCAA's fault that there is a top heavy structure to FCS.

You should be blaming all the administrations for underfunding/not supporting their own programs. It's not NDSU or Eastern Washington's fault that Prairie View sucks.

I'd rather have a competitive school from any conference than a charity case autobid from a school that dresses up some kids like football players.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2014, 01:25 PM
I would just add that most of the comments are missing the bigger theme, who will be the next conference to decide that playing the Romans in the Coliseum is just not worth it!

Twentysix
December 31st, 2014, 01:28 PM
I would just add that most of the comments are missing the bigger theme, who will be the next conference to decide that playing the Romans in the Coliseum is just not worth it!

Well, being that none of them have a championship game to retreat too, probably none.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Well, being that none of them have a championship game to retreat too, probably none.

may I inquire as to what you are displaying in your avatar?

Twentysix
December 31st, 2014, 01:43 PM
may I inquire as to what you are displaying in your avatar?

Our Lady of Guadalupe, why do you ask?

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1782565_10152329777177008_1108380882_o.jpg

Lehigh'98
December 31st, 2014, 01:45 PM
Really, in 5 years will anyone even remember the MEAC was ever in the playoffs? To the general football fan, this is unnoticed. If it's better for those schools financially, good for them. I don't in any way see this starting a domino effect of other conferences dropping out.

Twentysix
December 31st, 2014, 01:47 PM
Really, in 5 years will anyone even remember the MEAC was ever in the playoffs? To the general football fan, this is unnoticed. If it's better for those schools financially, good for them. I don't in any way see this starting a domino effect of other conferences dropping out.

If the less successful conferences PL/Pioneer had a championship game to retreat too, it may. But they don't... so it won't.

Then again, adding scholarships shows the PL's commitment to high caliber football, so I really don't see them leaving the playoffs.

walliver
December 31st, 2014, 02:00 PM
The FCS playoff have never really been a big deal outside of its participants.
Games hosted by schools with good attendance tended to have decent, but decreased attendance. Games hosted by schools with poor attendance tended to have poorer attendance. Sellouts were rare other than Montana (and now NDSU).

We may still get the MEAC runner-up int he FCS field.

Lehigh'98
December 31st, 2014, 02:15 PM
If the less successful conferences PL/Pioneer had a championship game to retreat too, it may. But they don't... so it won't.

Then again, adding scholarships shows the PL's commitment to high caliber football, so I really don't see them leaving the playoffs.

There are some PL fans that don't care about the playoffs. I do, always want a shot at the best. Wouldn't really compare us with Pioneer League, our top teams are normally competitive. This MEAC move has no effect on either conference though. Being blown out of proportion by some.

Humble Steward
December 31st, 2014, 03:04 PM
You might wanna hold up just a bit here. The MEAC may not be going anywhere.

I agree. This thread and the other thread may be a mute subject if what we are hearing plays out. If so, the MEAC will continue to compete in the playoffs. This may turn out to be a positive deal for our conference. Stay tuned.

McNeese75
December 31st, 2014, 03:08 PM
I think this ranks right up there with something like "The U.S. Economy will be hurt immensely by the withdrawal of its trade agreement with Swain Island by that territory's local government" xcoffeex

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2014, 03:43 PM
FCS Playoffs Hurt Immensely by Exit of the MEAC

I agree with the essence of this article. The NCAA D-I football championships are hurt if the Ivy and HBCUs are not in it. I used to call them two of the jewels of this level and it appears neither want the term FCS associated with them anymore. Sad times.

Its easy for them to say after the fact everyone has passed them up.

Tribe4SF
December 31st, 2014, 04:15 PM
As often is the case, this article suffers from LFN's lack of factual basis. If the MEAC's departure were really a big deal he'd probably know who there representative was this year...which he obviously doesn't.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 04:22 PM
As often is the case, this article suffers from LFN's lack of factual basis. If the MEAC's departure were really a big deal he'd probably know who there representative was this year...which he obviously doesn't.

Holy ****. I actually read it this time. That is funny!

THE HERD
December 31st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Hell I think it will help the playoffs by getting one more quality at large team in, which 99% of the time will be a hell of a lot better than whoever wins the MEAC!

PantherRob82
December 31st, 2014, 05:10 PM
"Like the UAB decision, the MEAC's choice to drop the playoffs is a first - the first time a sitting conference has elected to opt-out of an autobid to the playoffs to pursue another postseason opportunity."

Didn't the SWAC leave the playoffs for the SCG?

number1
December 31st, 2014, 05:17 PM
I have some good memories of playing MEAC teams in the playoffs. The fans that FAMU and SCSU in particular brought to Georgia Southern were the most lively, spirited, and friendly we've ever had in our stadium. It's sad to see them throw in the towel for the playoffs, but ultimately I think it's for the best. I don't see things getting any easier financially for HBCU's down the road with the way enrollment is declining, and being competitive in the FCS is going to take money that will be harder for HBCU's to come by. If you can get 50k for a Heritage Bowl and TV coverage better than the vast majority of FCS games, I say you have to go for it.

Ultimately it's about each institution pursuing what is best for them.

Finally we have someone that understands it. What is good for one program may not be best for another program. Instead of trying to look down on these programs, folks should be wishing them well.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2014, 05:24 PM
"Like the UAB decision, the MEAC's choice to drop the playoffs is a first - the first time a sitting conference has elected to opt-out of an autobid to the playoffs to pursue another postseason opportunity."

Didn't the SWAC leave the playoffs for the SCG?

The SWAC had opted out before there were autobids, which I believe were in place when the bracket expanded to 16 teams. SWAC teams got invites and have appeared in the playoffs (and FAMU is a former national champion).

clenz
December 31st, 2014, 06:41 PM
As usual...the immense amount of white guilt lfn suffers from is showing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2014, 06:44 PM
As usual...the immense amount of white guilt lfn suffers from is showing

Nah, I think he'll just miss another conference below the Patriot still in the playoffs. This moves them closer to the bottom.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2014, 06:48 PM
Our Lady of Guadalupe, why do you ask?

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1782565_10152329777177008_1108380882_o.jpg

I didnt recognize her and was curious....

Wallace
December 31st, 2014, 07:49 PM
Really, in 5 years will anyone even remember the MEAC was ever in the playoffs?
Quickly answer...

Florida A&M is a member of which conference?
Who won the first NCAA Division I Football Championship?

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2014, 08:04 PM
Quickly answer...

Couldnt tell you.

clenz
December 31st, 2014, 08:09 PM
Quickly answer...

MEAC
Completely irrelevant

What's FAMUs record the last decade?
When was the last MEAC playoff win?

dgtw
December 31st, 2014, 10:14 PM
Let's say the NCAA decided to sponsor a championship for the FBS. They said they'd take the ten conference champs and six at large teams. Then the MAC and Sun Belt decide to have their own bowl game and decline the AQ bid.

Would anyone say the FBS playoffs had been damaged?

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2014, 10:15 PM
Let's say the NCAA decided to sponsor a championship for the FBS. They said they'd take the ten conference champs and six at large teams. Then the MAC and Sun Belt decide to have their own bowl game and decline the AQ bid.

Great analogy!!!!!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2014, 11:39 PM

No because this is an incredibly stupid example. If the MAC and Sun Belt left the CFP to form their own bowl people would call them bat**** crazy.

Lehigh'98
December 31st, 2014, 11:51 PM
No because this is an incredibly stupid example. If the MAC and Sun Belt left the CFP to form their own bowl people would call them bat**** crazy.

Let's say they were offered more money from NBCSPORTS than they would get from being in the playoffs and they accepted. Of course this wouldn't happen but the comparison to FCS is valid. Not many notice whether they are in or out.

AshevilleApp2
January 1st, 2015, 12:36 AM
You somehow think it's the power conferences or the NCAA's fault that there is a top heavy structure to FCS.

You should be blaming all the administrations for underfunding/not supporting their own programs. It's not NDSU or Eastern Washington's fault that Prairie View sucks.

I'd rather have a competitive school from any conference than a charity case autobid from a school that dresses up some kids like football players.

I'm curious. Would you feel the same way about the NCAA Basketball Tournament?

DSUrocks07
January 1st, 2015, 12:57 AM
I agree. This thread and the other thread may be a mute subject if what we are hearing plays out. If so, the MEAC will continue to compete in the playoffs. This may turn out to be a positive deal for our conference. Stay tuned.

So its the Heritage Bowl 2.0

And how did that turn out?

lionsrking2
January 1st, 2015, 01:47 AM
This is much ado about nothing. While my personal preference is for all FCS conferences to participate in the playoffs, the MEAC opting out will hardly register a blip. Hopefully the arrangement with the SWAC will benefit both conferences, which I know is the end goal. Best of luck to them both.

Catsfan90
January 1st, 2015, 02:24 AM
I would prefer that they try and improve and become a contender, as opposed to jumping ship. I think that the more variety of conferences we have the more exciting the playoffs are to watch. Especially if all of them are competitive. I also do understand their decision to have their own bowl game though, as the financial situation now a days is making universities act drastically.

major095
January 1st, 2015, 07:27 AM
It's amazing to me that seemingly no one on this board is willing to address the real issues here. The FCS playoffs suck from a financial standpoint. That is the only reason the MEAC is even considering the game. The bidding system just isn't right...basically buying a home game. If the 2 participants in the championship game were going to receive a million a piece there is no way the swac and meac would bow out, but no one is signing up to lose 250k. That just makes no sense!

If it does please explain how? for the joy of the game? because on this level football isn't supposed to be a moneymaker? logic just does not make the fcs playoffs feasible at this time. As much as I want my school to win the national championship, I don't want them to pay for it literally.

The better play for now is to take the million, schedule, play, and beat the best of fcs, and make the fcs playoffs a farce because the best teams are not there. That hopefully will force the NCAA to change the structure of the playoffs .

Finally, does the playoffs make sense to anyone with a checkbook?

Ivytalk
January 1st, 2015, 07:48 AM
Finally we have someone that understands it. What is good for one program may not be best for another program. Instead of trying to look down on these programs, folks should be wishing them well.

I agree. My reaction to the article was that the author overstated his case.

No_Skill
January 1st, 2015, 08:36 AM

What if they were doing it for large sums of guaranteed money? Are they still crazy?

Humble Steward
January 1st, 2015, 09:13 AM

Honestly, I'm waiting on all of the details before I make any judgements. If, we keep our AQ bid for the playoffs and the opportunity for at large bids, while sending either the 2nd or 3rd place team to compete in the bowl game, I'm okay with this. It's a win win situation for the MEAC conference if the bowl game is promoted right. Hopefully with ESPN's backing this will be different from the previous Heritage Bowl. Not enough facts have been presented by anyone yet.

BluBengal07
January 1st, 2015, 09:32 AM
when you look at it, there are some poor performing conferences outside of the MEAC & SWAC who are FCS playoff eligible. however, they will more that likely never see a deep playoff run. we'll see how this bowl turns out. that result might turn some heads with leadership at some FCS programs of "why keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result."

Panther88
January 1st, 2015, 09:55 AM
This is a slippery slope, the mindset. It's the exact same mindset evident during march madness when the fbs-type schools desire to exclude fcs-type schools from the big tourney due to poor performance. Even today in football, we see the P5 confs excluding non-fbs schools from participation w/ them, which are essentially $$$$ games for fcs schools. Ultimately, schools/confs must do what is in their best interests for future survival.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2015, 09:57 AM
This is a slippery slope, the mindset. It's the exact same mindset evident during march madness when the fbs-type schools desire to exclude fcs-type schools from the big tourney due to poor performance. Even today in football, we see the P5 confs excluding non-fbs schools from participation w/ them, which are essentially $$$$ games for fcs schools. Ultimately, schools/confs must do what is in their best interests for future survival.

But it's not in the interest of football. Next weekend is going to be a good football game because 2 schools want to make the best football teams.

HBCU "classic" games are starting to resemble a minstrel show more than a football game.

major095
January 1st, 2015, 10:20 AM
But it's not in the interest of football. Next weekend is going to be a good football game because 2 schools want to make the best football teams.

HBCU "classic" games are starting to resemble a minstrel show more than a football game.

And by that you mean what? fireworks? concerts? pre and post-game parties? the bands? sounds like the super bowl to me. So lets be transparent here. Minstrel show has a negative image associated with it, so what are you referring to about "HBCU classic games" that is a negative to the sport, the institutions, the alumni, or the participants?

Lest we drift into the land of lolly pops and gum drops, let me remind everyone that college athletics is a business on this level as well. Making a decision with the bottom line in mind IS keeping football in mind b/c w/o the bottom line, there is no football.

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM

How's that Terbinafine hydrochloridel tasting this morning with those Black eyed peas?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2015, 10:36 AM
And by that you mean what? fireworks? concerts? pre and post-game parties? the bands? sounds like the super bowl to me. So lets be transparent here. Minstrel show has a negative image associated with it, so what are you referring to about "HBCU classic games" that is a negative to the sport, the institutions, the alumni, or the participants?

Lest we drift into the land of lolly pops and gum drops, let me remind everyone that college athletics is a business on this level as well. Making a decision with the bottom line in mind IS keeping football in mind b/c w/o the bottom line, there is no football.

The connotation to which you refer is 100% intended. The football game is immaterial to the drumline competition. I wonder how the budget for the football teams and bands compare in relative terms.

major095
January 1st, 2015, 11:02 AM
The connotation to which you refer is 100% intended. The football game is immaterial to the drumline competition. I wonder how the budget for the football teams and bands compare in relative terms.

Oh, so you mean the fact that many HBCU's embrace the fact that though football is a sport, it is also entertainment (you know... the E in ESPN) and so they've broaden the appeal and the audience they attract. Maybe your school should do that too. I mean, the NFL clearly does that with the superbowl (guess you don't like that game either), the pomp and pageantry that many associate with hbcu classic football is why alabama state, a&m, jackson state, grambling, southern and so on regularly play at least 1 or 2 games a season with at least 60k in attendance. why does that bother you? does your school do that? is that why you refer to it as a minstrel show? and how many of these minstrel shows have you attended? 0? 1?

Ivytalk
January 1st, 2015, 11:39 AM

You really are a dick.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2015, 11:53 AM
You really are a dick.

Damn, there goes all my self worth.

Ivytalk
January 1st, 2015, 11:59 AM
Damn, there goes all my self worth.

You just need to develop self-awareness. Did you think before posting that gem about the new game?

lionsrking2
January 1st, 2015, 07:29 PM
You just need to develop self-awareness. Did you think before posting that gem about the new game?

Well said.

McNeese72
January 1st, 2015, 08:35 PM
MEAC
Completely irrelevant

What's FAMUs record the last decade?
When was the last MEAC playoff win?

That was the first playoff in 1978 and there were a whole four teams in it. And back then, some of us (like the Southland Conf) were in the upper Div of football whatever it was called back then and were playing in bowl games.

lionsrking2
January 1st, 2015, 08:51 PM
That was the first playoff in 1978 and there were a whole four teams in it. And back then, some of us (like the Southland Conf) were in the upper Div of football whatever it was called back then and were playing in bowl games.

SWAC and MEAC schools were still able to get some of the better Division I-A caliber recruits back then also.

Twentysix
January 2nd, 2015, 01:06 AM
There are some PL fans that don't care about the playoffs. I do, always want a shot at the best. Wouldn't really compare us with Pioneer League, our top teams are normally competitive. This MEAC move has no effect on either conference though. Being blown out of proportion by some.

I was lumping them together as non title contenders, but that will probably change with the influx of scholarships.

Maybe the PL would leave for an IVY/PL championship game. ;)

dgtw
January 2nd, 2015, 06:10 AM
Oh, so you mean the fact that many HBCU's embrace the fact that though football is a sport, it is also entertainment (you know... the E in ESPN) and so they've broaden the appeal and the audience they attract. Maybe your school should do that too. I mean, the NFL clearly does that with the superbowl (guess you don't like that game either), the pomp and pageantry that many associate with hbcu classic football is why alabama state, a&m, jackson state, grambling, southern and so on regularly play at least 1 or 2 games a season with at least 60k in attendance. why does that bother you? does your school do that? is that why you refer to it as a minstrel show? and how many of these minstrel shows have you attended? 0? 1?

I watch the Super Bowl for the game. The extra crap bores me to tears. If they dropped the halftime show and just showed highlights and analysis it would not bother me one iota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OL FU
January 2nd, 2015, 06:12 AM
OK, I skimmed it. I, too, agree with the "tone" of the article. The more participation the better. But I do think the "hurt immensely" is overstated. I, also, don't see other conferences running for the doors. The heritage bowl is a unique concept.

Now as to other posters who have hinted that the MEAC may not be out of the playoffs, I hope you are correct.

OL FU
January 2nd, 2015, 06:22 AM
and, of course, Horsefeathers.xthumbsupx

" Why don't you go home to your wife? I'll tell you what, I'll go home to your wife, and outside of the improvement she'll never know the difference";)

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2015, 09:06 AM
I watch the Super Bowl for the game. The extra crap bores me to tears. If they dropped the halftime show and just showed highlights and analysis it would not bother me one iota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the problem. They give zero ****s about football, they just want a stage for the band. They try to deny it but it's completely obvious.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2015, 09:27 AM

You are quite frustrated that HBCUs are not as overly competitive as they once were, are seemingly secluding themselves from tourney participation, & are somewhat following the model of the P5 folx by attempting to maximize potential $$$$ for all institutions w/in the respective conference(s).

I will honestly state that my school is horribly broke w/ regards to athletics. We are so broke until we fired a seemingly unproductive (actually he was quite productive) head coach whose base salary was 199K annum & approximately 4 weeks ago, we hired another head fball coach for 205,000$ per yr + incentives. We are so broke until we relegated ourselves to play in a 3500 seat stadium that wasn't fit for 7th graders for well over the last 45+ yrs. And finally, we are so broke that we are literally today, this very second, constructing a new athletic venue that will cost us supporters 60-62 million $, complete w/ new athl fieldhouse & fball stadium. PVAMU needs all the $$$$ we can garner since we have FINALLY decided to go toe to toe w/ ut-austin, aTm, tx tech, baylor, tcu, unt, u of h, rice, et al for coveted fball recruits. PVAMU needs all the $$$ it can get its hands on lololol. Hopefully we'll see the powerhouse NDSU so that we can exact a smidget of payback since we've just now joined the ranks of those of NDSU ilk and become...serious w/ regards to being dominant. It takes $$$$$, ND4E.

813Jag
January 2nd, 2015, 09:27 AM

started out good, but fell off big time. Honestly this game is irrelevant if it isn't champ vs champ. Otherwise it's a later year version of the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. Same attendance/matchup issues.

blackbeard
January 2nd, 2015, 09:36 AM

Agree with most of what you say here, have attended the Majic City Classic a couple of times just to watch the game and see the show. But I question how viable it is to try to duplicate this model multiple times each year. Fans have only so many dollars to spend on these games, throw in Homecoming which is also a major production at least on SWAC campuses, and it seems that the dollars are going to get spread pretty thin. This may be a great financial move for the conferences, but I think many Classic games played during the season could take a little bit of a haircut as a result.

clenz
January 2nd, 2015, 09:48 AM
If they want to do classics, focus on the bands, not care about actual quality of football, etc... then so be it. I'm perfectly okay with it.

The only issues I have with it is the voluntary segregation but then crying segregation victim when it fits their agenda...

They are free to do whatever the hell they want. More power to them for that.

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
And finally, we are so broke that we are literally today, this very second, constructing a new athletic venue that will cost us supporters 60-62 million $, complete w/ new athl fieldhouse & fball stadium. PVAMU needs all the $$$$ we can garner since we have FINALLY decided to go toe to toe w/ ut-austin, aTm, tx tech, baylor, tcu, unt, u of h, rice, et al for coveted fball recruits.

The minutes from the regents meeting indicates that the TAMU System is covering the $60M price tag and debt service will be paid through student fees. PV alumni and supporters are not responsible for the total cost.

I did note this interesting quote in the minutes on the regents' web site:

"The construction of the new football stadium and athletic field house will directly address the above issues and further a long-term objective of the university athletic department to gain membership into the NCAA Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision."

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
You are quite frustrated that HBCUs are not as overly competitive as they once were, are seemingly secluding themselves from tourney participation, & are somewhat following the model of the P5 folx by attempting to maximize potential $$$$ for all institutions w/in the respective conference(s).

I will honestly state that my school is horribly broke w/ regards to athletics. We are so broke until we fired a seemingly unproductive (actually he was quite productive) head coach whose base salary was 199K annum & approximately 4 weeks ago, we hired another head fball coach for 205,000$ per yr + incentives. We are so broke until we relegated ourselves to play in a 3500 seat stadium that wasn't fit for 7th graders for well over the last 45+ yrs. And finally, we are so broke that we are literally today, this very second, constructing a new athletic venue that will cost us supporters 60-62 million $, complete w/ new athl fieldhouse & fball stadium. PVAMU needs all the $$$$ we can garner since we have FINALLY decided to go toe to toe w/ ut-austin, aTm, tx tech, baylor, tcu, unt, u of h, rice, et al for coveted fball recruits. PVAMU needs all the $$$ it can get its hands on lololol. Hopefully we'll see the powerhouse NDSU so that we can exact a smidget of payback since we've just now joined the ranks of those of NDSU ilk and become...serious w/ regards to being dominant. It takes $$$$$, ND4E.

It takes will. It takes organization. Our stadium was built by the city for $50 million in 1993. NDSU provided the land but I'm not talking about that. I genuinely hope, for your sake not mine, that these schools can get their **** together and provide you the fans with a better product.

Like I said, all levels of football have a top tier of teams who will always contend for the championship. The only reason NDSU has success because of a support structure that goes well beyond the team.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2015, 10:29 AM
DFW Hoya, I do not like you lol. Dammit!!! THE FBS secret was to remain a secret.

Honestly, we are hoping for a move that pairs us w/ SHSU, SFA, HBU, McNeese St, et al. Oopso.

WileECoyote06
January 2nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
If they want to do classics, focus on the bands, not care about actual quality of football, etc... then so be it. I'm perfectly okay with it.

The only issues I have with it is the voluntary segregation but then crying segregation victim when it fits their agenda...

They are free to do whatever the hell they want. More power to them for that.

Your post seems to go way beyond football. If you don't like that HBCUs still exist, then that would explain a lot. If that isn't it, then your comment is indicative of a more deeply rooted problem.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2015, 10:32 AM
It takes will. It takes organization. Our stadium was built by the city for $50 million in 1993. NDSU provided the land but I'm not talking about that. I genuinely hope, for your sake not mine, that these schools can get their **** together and provide you the fans with a better product.

Like I said, all levels of football have a top tier of teams who will always contend for the championship. The only reason NDSU has success because of a support structure that goes well beyond the team.
We share the same goals: compete, win, & dominate.

I think we are finally on the right path.

DSUrocks07
January 2nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Your post seems to go way beyond football. If you don't like that HBCUs still exist, then that would explain a lot. If that isn't it, then your comment is indicative of a more deeply rooted problem.

My issue with the term HBCU is that by definition it isn't a problem. But it being used as defining the respective universities in the 21st century. Embrace the past, but don't ever let it define who you are today.

But as you said, that goes way beyond football.

IMO some of the smaller HBCUs are ill served by such a bowl game setup. And I for one, never want to see Delaware State becoming involved in one. I'm sure the bigger schools will just use the "why would DSU be concerned about it, they're never going to make it there" trash talk, but that in itself is the issue. If there is a mountain top that DSU will "never reach", I'd much rather it be an FCS national championship than a "HBCU championship".

clenz
January 2nd, 2015, 10:46 AM

If they want to exist to serve a black community that they feel wouldn't be accepted to a traditional university due to grades, or couldn't afford a traditional state university, then that's great. The theory behind what they are doing is fantastic. I'm all for it. I really am. They were founded at a time when we had a country that was greatly uneducated and sadly extremely racist.

The issue, as I see it, is that these universities are still pumping our college graduates that are still buried in debt (no different than any other university, to be fair) because of tuition rates and the fact that the 4 year graduation rates at many HBCU's is very...very...low. Meaning it's taking an extra year, or two, or three worth of tuition to graduate. There are issues of keeping athletes eligible, which then leads to screams of RACISM over the APR rules - which simply says if you stay eligible there is no penalties. The money in the athletic departments (and entire universities really...see the fall out from the Grambling fiasco in 2013) is being completely mishandled. There seems to be a complete lack of leadership at many of these places. They seemed to be underfunded (athletic departments and universities) yet they all claim to be bringing in millions of dollars from football classics, band competitions, etc...

There is just an extreme disconnect between what is actually seen, to an outsider, and what the alumni/supporters are saying.

At this point - and bluedog is a perfect example of this - graduates come out of college and cling to the "white man keeping me down" schtick. That attitude has seeped over to athletics. If you want your classics, fine. Like I said, I'm all for it. However, you have to be willing to admit what it is - intentional segregation from non "HBCU" institutions (which could easily be construed as racism). Again, you want to segregate yourself - fine. You have your reasons. However, you can't then turn around and say "It's your fault because some white assholes in the 1930s and 1940s didn't let us play." and that the NCAA is racist because it's actually trying to enforce passing grades with the APR and get upset when a number of people around the nation see your segregation and think "Gee, something seems kind of funny here". Or you can't get made when you segregate yourselves, on your own, and the rest of us go "Well, so be it then. Enjoy your **** but don't be upset that we don't want you involved in out ****".

That lase sentence isn't non-HBUC's being racist...it's you doing exactly what you're doing. So if the rest of us are racist, then so are you.

BISON Thunder
January 2nd, 2015, 11:03 AM
I will be interested to see if/how this decision affects recruiting for the HBCU's. Will there be recruits lost to other programs because the athletes want a chance to compete in the playoffs and ultimately for a national championship? I guess I could pose the same questions to the Ivy League schools, or the second tier FBS schools. My only concern for the FCS regarding decisions such as this is the affect it will have on the quality of football on the field. Since NDSU's recent move from D-II, the one thing which keeps me interested in FCS football is the quality of the game. If the brand of football begins to drop (like was obvious in D-II)...there will be a mass exodus.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
To me the biggest problem with the Heritage Bowl concept is that it doesn't deliver what, to me, many HBCU fans seem to want - an HBCU national champion. It's like setting up the 1980 Rose Bowl today and trying to declare the winner of that game as the HBCU Champion, even though there are CIAA and SIAC teams that legitimately could take claim for that title (and, oh by the way, are full participants in the D-II playoffs).

The only way there is a true HBCU champion is if the SWAC and MEAC are forced down to D-II and you set up your own HBCU subdivision in D-II. Yes, I realize that the threat to boot these conferences to D-II isn't taken seriously by almost everyone on here, but believe me is a real possibility. Maybe Alabama State, PVA&M, FAMU, NCAT and perhaps some others might not be in those conferences when it happens, but it's a real possibility.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
DFW Hoya, we alums are constantly raising $$$$ through our foundation to help foot the tab to cover constr costs.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
I'm on a freaking phone and cannot reply at length, clenz. You make valid points I think I can address. I'll respond as soon as I get to a real keyboard. Later man.

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
DFW Hoya, we alums are constantly raising $$$$ through our foundation to help foot the tab to cover constr costs.

Good to hear. PV never gets the credit they deserve for sticking with the program when many weren't giving it much chance.

(Panther fans were always out in force in Dallas for what used to be called the Al Lipscomb Classic at the Cotton Bowl versus GSU, even when the scores weren't so good.)

WileECoyote06
January 2nd, 2015, 08:24 PM
If they want to exist to serve a black community that they feel wouldn't be accepted to a traditional university due to grades, or couldn't afford a traditional state university, then that's great. The theory behind what they are doing is fantastic. I'm all for it. I really am. They were founded at a time when we had a country that was greatly uneducated and sadly extremely racist.

The issue, as I see it, is that these universities are still pumping our college graduates that are still buried in debt (no different than any other university, to be fair) because of tuition rates and the fact that the 4 year graduation rates at many HBCU's is very...very...low. Meaning it's taking an extra year, or two, or three worth of tuition to graduate. There are issues of keeping athletes eligible, which then leads to screams of RACISM over the APR rules - which simply says if you stay eligible there is no penalties. The money in the athletic departments (and entire universities really...see the fall out from the Grambling fiasco in 2013) is being completely mishandled. There seems to be a complete lack of leadership at many of these places. They seemed to be underfunded (athletic departments and universities) yet they all claim to be bringing in millions of dollars from football classics, band competitions, etc...

There is just an extreme disconnect between what is actually seen, to an outsider, and what the alumni/supporters are saying.

At this point - and bluedog is a perfect example of this - graduates come out of college and cling to the "white man keeping me down" schtick. That attitude has seeped over to athletics. If you want your classics, fine. Like I said, I'm all for it. However, you have to be willing to admit what it is - intentional segregation from non "HBCU" institutions (which could easily be construed as racism). Again, you want to segregate yourself - fine. You have your reasons. However, you can't then turn around and say "It's your fault because some white assholes in the 1930s and 1940s didn't let us play." and that the NCAA is racist because it's actually trying to enforce passing grades with the APR and get upset when a number of people around the nation see your segregation and think "Gee, something seems kind of funny here". Or you can't get made when you segregate yourselves, on your own, and the rest of us go "Well, so be it then. Enjoy your **** but don't be upset that we don't want you involved in out ****".

That lase sentence isn't non-HBUC's being racist...it's you doing exactly what you're doing. So if the rest of us are racist, then so are you.

I disagree with you on several of your points, and some of the problems you describe are systemic, whether they are self-inflicted or the remaining vestiges of past times. With you living in Iowa (according to your profile), I don't expect you to understand how deeply rooted the problem truly is for public HBCUs in the south. APR is not a racist concept; however it does not fit all colleges and their missions. HBCUs, which have historically served disadvantaged and first-generation college students are put at a disadvantage; as we have always been expected to do more with less.

Thanks for being honest and responding. And I'm against abdicating our autobid for this MEAC-SWAC Challenge Part Deux.

DSUrocks07
January 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM
I disagree with you on several of your points, and some of the problems you describe are systemic, whether they are self-inflicted or the remaining vestiges of past times. With you living in Iowa (according to your profile), I don't expect you to understand how deeply rooted the problem truly is for public HBCUs in the south. APR is not a racist concept; however it does not fit all colleges and their missions. HBCUs, which have historically served disadvantaged and first-generation college students are put at a disadvantage; as we have always been expected to do more with less.

Thanks for being honest and responding. And I'm against abdicating our autobid for this MEAC-SWAC Challenge Part Deux.

My question becomes, what happens to the MEAC/SWAC challenge? It would hold even less relevance than it does now.

kalm
January 2nd, 2015, 09:04 PM
I think the the Ivy Champ should have to play the MEAC and SWAC champs in a jamboree.

Twentysix
January 2nd, 2015, 11:09 PM
I think the the Ivy Champ should have to play the MEAC and SWAC champs in a jamboree.

IVY/PL/MEAC/SWAC FFA.

I'm talking cage match.

It could be the doritos class war bowl.

813Jag
January 3rd, 2015, 08:46 AM
My question becomes, what happens to the MEAC/SWAC challenge? It would hold even less relevance than it does now.
I think the game should be done away with regardless, obviously the fans don't care or the attendance would be better. And I know they promoters don't care or they wouldn't schedule the game at 11:45 AM in that oven of a stadium at UCF.

AggieManiac704
January 3rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
That MEAC/SWAC game is less about attendance & more about TV Viewers

813Jag
January 3rd, 2015, 10:16 AM
That MEAC/SWAC game is less about attendance & more about TV Viewers
shouldn't butts in seats be important?

ngineer
January 3rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
I don't see the playoffs being damaged by the MEAC decision. I don't read them as not sending a representative and their chances of doing much in the playoffs has always been extremely slim. No different than Ivy not sending anyone at all. It's their choice whether they want to compete for a "National Championship". It does not mean all that much to many institutions.

citdog
January 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
. It's their choice whether they want to compete for a "National Championship". It does not mean all that much to many institutions.

Ask the players. You'll get a response totally different from yours. Chase Edmonds was one of the guests on the show this week. When we asked what the goals of the Fordham Program were his response was "National Championship".

AggieManiac704
January 3rd, 2015, 12:51 PM
shouldn't butts in seats be important?

...it SHOULD....but if thats the case then the dwindling numbers would have caused them to axe it years ago right?

Catsfan90
January 3rd, 2015, 01:07 PM
...it SHOULD....but if thats the case then the dwindling numbers would have caused them to axe it years ago right?
Does anyone know the percentage of profits ticket sales make up compared to advertising in bowl games? A few of these games I have seen have had very low attendance. But a ton of advertising.

813Jag
January 3rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
you're right on that

major095
January 3rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
I will be interested to see if/how this decision affects recruiting for the HBCU's. Will there be recruits lost to other programs because the athletes want a chance to compete in the playoffs and ultimately for a national championship? I guess I could pose the same questions to the Ivy League schools, or the second tier FBS schools. My only concern for the FCS regarding decisions such as this is the affect it will have on the quality of football on the field. Since NDSU's recent move from D-II, the one thing which keeps me interested in FCS football is the quality of the game. If the brand of football begins to drop (like was obvious in D-II)...there will be a mass exodus.

Yes, I do believe not participating in the playoffs has hurt swac schools when they recruit against other fcs, and lower fbs schools. however I also believe having poor facilities has hurt them equally. Now that many of the schools in the swac are updating their facilities that will begin to be less of an issue. They will have to sell kids on a bigger vision of why they don't currently compete in the playoffs.

Ultimately I want my school in the playoffs and winning national championships. I don't think anyone would prefer a hbcu national championship to THE national championship but no one can justify losing money on that endeavor either. The path forward is to play and beat the best of the fcs on a regular basis and force the ncaa to change the structure of the tournament b/c everyone will know the best teams don't participate b/c of the bidding and financial system.... but they have to become the best teams.

Panther88
January 3rd, 2015, 02:18 PM
I'm confused why some are calling the BOWL game an "HBCU Championship game" vs an "HBCU Legacy BOWL game." Words, man. Words.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
Ask the players. You'll get a response totally different from yours. Chase Edmonds was one of the guests on the show this week. When we asked what the goals of the Fordham Program were his response was "National Championship".

I was just thinking that I read ng's response. Chase was an excellent interview and I personally was thoroughtly impressed with him and his responses and was very glad to see his absolute focus on what that team wants to do next year.

I really think the fans of teams underestimate the players desires sometimes and we maybe replace them with our own more jaded view of where our teams may be at from our own perspectives.

I sure wouldn't mind having a team chock full of guys with his perspective.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2015, 03:21 PM
I was just thinking that I read ng's response. Chase was an excellent interview and I personally was thoroughtly impressed with him and his responses and was very glad to see his absolute focus on what that team wants to do next year.

I really think the fans of teams underestimate the players desires sometimes and we maybe replace them with our own more jaded view of where our teams may be at from our own perspectives.

I sure wouldn't mind having a team chock full of guys with his perspective.

Right on. FWIW the Patriot League players I have all talked to pretty much feel the same way as Chase - National Championship is the goal. Noting of course that most of the people I've talked to are Lehigh players.

number1
January 3rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Yes, I do believe not participating in the playoffs has hurt swac schools when they recruit against other fcs, and lower fbs schools. however I also believe having poor facilities has hurt them equally. Now that many of the schools in the swac are updating their facilities that will begin to be less of an issue. They will have to sell kids on a bigger vision of why they don't currently compete in the playoffs.

Ultimately I want my school in the playoffs and winning national championships. I don't think anyone would prefer a hbcu national championship to THE national championship but no one can justify losing money on that endeavor either. The path forward is to play and beat the best of the fcs on a regular basis and force the ncaa to change the structure of the tournament b/c everyone will know the best teams don't participate b/c of the bidding and financial system.... but they have to become the best teams.

That's your best bet. Build up your program and then schedule some of those successful playoff teams during the regular season.

I can only speak for my school, but I don't think playoffs has really been a huge selling point in landing the recruits for us. It was more so facilities and the direction of the program. It appears we have finally righted the ship with both, and we are starting to win some recruiting battles.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2015, 04:25 PM
Tell me then. How does a team with 36 scholarships in 2002 win the first of 3 consecutive national championships 9 years later?

It's a commitment by the entire support structure.

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
Tell me then. How does a team with 36 scholarships in 2002 win the first of 3 consecutive national championships 9 years later?

A little more complicated like that:

1. Better recruiting by NDSU all around
2. The general upgrade of MVC football
3. A decline at Montana and esp. Delaware
4. More teams upgrading to I-A that could have been a playoff factor

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2015, 04:58 PM

NDSU was instantly competitive because it invests in it's football team. The factors to which you refer are just blind luck. Nobody was held back on those years, everybody has the same chance to do what they can.

Scooter
January 3rd, 2015, 05:00 PM
I say let them play for the mythical championship... However, be honest about it call it the NIT. I won't miss the teams that bowed out of the tournament. Winning is a mindset...so is losing. MEAC just got tired of losing and chose an easier path... excuse me if I fail to give a damn whether your band makes the FCS tourney.

TheRevSFA
January 3rd, 2015, 05:02 PM

You also are the only thing around when it comes to recruiting. You don't have near the competition MEAC or SWAC schools have

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
You also are the only thing around when it comes to recruiting. You don't have near the competition MEAC or SWAC schools have

Nor nearly the deep well to siphon from.

TheRevSFA
January 3rd, 2015, 05:08 PM

Still, SWAC and MEAC compete against the SEc, acc, big 12, CUSA, the belt, FCS conferences like SOCON and CAA and Southland..

even with the deep pool, they're literally sucking the last drops

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2015, 05:10 PM

We have to go to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa. All places that have other schools with whom to compete.

Hell we even got a kid from Florida to commit this year. Our coaches put a LOT of miles on.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2015, 05:11 PM
Still, SWAC and MEAC compete against the SEc, acc, big 12, CUSA, the belt, FCS conferences like SOCON and CAA and Southland..

Oh I'm not arguing that they are not doing that. Thing is that it is like Maxwell House...good to the last drop. Both conferences still have a real quality track record when it comes to sending players on the pro's etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2015, 06:04 PM
That's your best bet. Build up your program and then schedule some of those successful playoff teams during the regular season.

I can only speak for my school, but I don't think playoffs has really been a huge selling point in landing the recruits for us. It was more so facilities and the direction of the program. It appears we have finally righted the ship with both, and we are starting to win some recruiting battles.

The chance of you actually having attended Harvard are zero.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2015, 07:02 PM

You forgot fracking wealth and a virtual TV monopoly

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2015, 07:08 PM
You forgot fracking wealth and a virtual TV monopoly

How about Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy? Because those have about as much bearing on the success as what you stated.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2015, 07:55 PM

I don't disagree with Edmonds or any of the coaches and players who strive to be national champions. My comment was directed at the INSTITUTIONS. It is obvious that the Presidents and Board of Trustees at many institutions do not make winning a football championship a priority....nor should it. If schools are dealing with limited resources, or don't believe in over emphasizing athletics, then such ends are not goals. Certainly everyone involved with the programs want to win, but to many schools, the journey is more important than the destination.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't disagree with Edmonds or any of the coaches and players who strive to be national champions. My comment was directed at the INSTITUTIONS. It is obvious that the Presidents and Board of Trustees at many institutions do not make winning a football championship a priority....nor should it. If schools are dealing with limited resources, or don't believe in over emphasizing athletics, then such ends are not goals. Certainly everyone involved with the programs want to win, but to many schools, the journey is more important than the destination.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2015, 08:05 PM
Right on. FWIW the Patriot League players I have all talked to pretty much feel the same way as Chase - National Championship is the goal. Noting of course that most of the people I've talked to are Lehigh players.

You and Ursus misconstrue my statement. The players, coaches, and people like me, former football alumni WANT to win and contend for a national championship. But, that is not a stated priority of the INSTITUTION is what I said. The PL schools could make it a priority and commit the necessary assets and relax the admission standards to get the best football players enrolled, but their philosophy is not to do that. I believe it is possible for a PL school to win an FCS national title in the next ten years, but the odds are against us. But that doesn't mean we don't try like heck to do it, even though it's an uphill fight. When Andy Coen took over at Lehigh, he said then, and still believes that the program can improve to where we can get beyond the first round playoff wins and compete for a title. It is goal of the program, but it is not a high priority for the University.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM

Exactly.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2015, 08:12 PM
You and Ursus misconstrue my statement. The players, coaches, and people like me, former football alumni WANT to win and contend for a national championship. But, that is not a stated priority of the INSTITUTION is what I said. The PL schools could make it a priority and commit the necessary assets and relax the admission standards to get the best football players enrolled, but their philosophy is not to do that. I believe it is possible for a PL school to win an FCS national title in the next ten years, but the odds are against us. But that doesn't mean we don't try like heck to do it, even though it's an uphill fight. When Andy Coen took over at Lehigh, he said then, and still believes that the program can improve to where we can get beyond the first round playoff wins and compete for a title. It is goal of the program, but it is not a high priority for the University.

Ah, I did misunderstand ya then.

BisonFan02
January 3rd, 2015, 10:12 PM
Rapid fire time:

Is the MEAC passing up on the FCS playoffs bad for said playoffs..........NO
Is the MEAC passing up on the FCS playoffs bad for the MEAC........depending on their goals, probably not.

If the concern is money with the "bowl" game versus the FCS playoffs, the money problem is ALOT deeper than just this instance as far as the noted athletic programs. This revenue stream (and expense cutting via playoff omission) is a bandaid on a flesh wound.

The MEAC (and SWAC currently) are going to do what they feel best for their member institutions. If that doesn't include the FCS playoffs, I personally couldn't care less.

number1
January 3rd, 2015, 11:53 PM
The chance of you actually having attended Harvard are zero.
????

number1
January 3rd, 2015, 11:58 PM

Really the difference between the SWAC and MEAC and the playoff teams is the line play. Skill position wise our best teams can match up well there, but that is all null and void if you can't protect the QB and open holes for the RB, and if you can't pressure the QB. If the teams can fix their OL and DL, you will see better performances against the playoff teams.

Panther88
January 4th, 2015, 08:08 PM
these universities are still pumping our college graduates that are still buried in debt (no different than any other university, to be fair) because of tuition rates and the fact that the 4 year graduation rates at many HBCU's is very...very...low. Meaning it's taking an extra year, or two, or three worth of tuition to graduate.

The money in the athletic departments (and entire universities really...see the fall out from the Grambling fiasco in 2013) is being completely mishandled. There seems to be a complete lack of leadership at many of these places. They seemed to be underfunded (athletic departments and universities) yet they all claim to be bringing in millions of dollars from football classics, band competitions, etc...

At this point - and bluedog is a perfect example of this - graduates come out of college and cling to the "white man keeping me down" schtick.

Dammit clenz you said a LOT lol. Man... I cut a few items of your post out and am in agreeance, for the most part. HBCUs are liken to any other university and has the exact same issues/problems as others as well (funding). If some are screaming racism @ APR, shame on them. I think the bottom line is that entities seriously need to recruit a better caliber of student-athlete, for the most part, and things should fall in place. Granted, none of us have the extra budget of a ut-austin or aTm, but still, some of us are of the lineage that it's ACADEMICS first and foremost, athletics second. I totally agree w/ you that being on the outside, one doesn't have the view or experience what others may have seen or experienced. That's why we need to intelligently communicate these issues, rather than hitting the infamous "da' white mane done held us'n back one more 'gain" rhetoric. Lastly, bluedog doesn't represent self or anyone like self. I consider self to be dissimilar and am decently intelligent, mildly articulate, and try my best to convey my thoughts in such a manner that they have honey/sweetness attached (to attract) rather than be rancid vinegarish laced (bitter to propel) words. However, I only do that towards an intelligent bunch and I find all here, for the most part, a highly intelligent & hard-working blue/white collar crew, like self. But do note that sometimes we need to throw diesel on a few and torch them for the slow burn. :D xlolx Something I created in 1992:

Communication creates awareness...
Awareness creates understanding....
Understanding births compassion....

Ciao.

bluehenbillk
January 5th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't this article been better fit if released on April 1st?