PDA

View Full Version : FBS Transfers: Which FCS Teams benefited most in 2014?

KPSUL
December 29th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Which team(s) had the most success with FBS transfers? Conversely, which team(s) had the biggest FBS to FCS failures? What, if any, are the greatest potential long-term down sides?

PantherRob82
December 29th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Roberson did great at Illinois State. No one else comes to mind.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 29th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Didn't SHSU have a ton of transfers

underdawg
December 29th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Our former starter Malcom Agnew (who got hurt in the first quarter of the YSU game) had 836 yards rushing (6 yards per carry) and 10 TDs in 7.25 games. At 103 ypg he would have easily been a 1000 yard rusher if he hadn't been put out for the season----He was an impact FBS from Oregon State

caribbeanhen
December 29th, 2014, 07:10 PM

that was my initial thought, followed by the Lions of Hammond, La

dewey
December 29th, 2014, 08:33 PM

If I remember correctly SHSU'S stud WR LaDarius Brown is a transfer from TCU. I thought there were more but I can't think of them now. Illinois State's Roberson from Indiana worked out well for the Redbirds.

NDSU'S backup running back King Frazier is a transfer from Nebraska and is more than likely going to be the #1 running back next fall.

Dewey

dewey
December 29th, 2014, 08:36 PM
ISU DE David Perkins came from tOSU, OL Michael Liedtke from WMU

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Illinois State right tackle (Brown or Barton?) a transfer from Miami (?). I think he was/is an all American, right?

Dewey

REALBird
December 29th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Illinois State right tackle (Brown or Barton?) a transfer from Miami (?). I think he was/is an all American, right?

Dewey

Correct....Jermaine Barton (The U).

Model Citizen
December 29th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Jonah Hodges rushed for about 1,200 yds after his transfer from Cal to San Diego. Hodges and $1.99 of Jacksonville scholarship money got the Toreros into the playoffs.

centennial
December 29th, 2014, 09:15 PM
SHSU>SELA>ISUr

Catsfan90
December 29th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Bennett was a huge pickup by SELA from Oregon. He gave me scares last year against UNH! he was single handedly moving the ball.

lionsrking2
December 29th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Bennett was a huge pickup by SELA from Oregon. He gave me scares last year against UNH! he was single handedly moving the ball.

Bennett was a 2013 transfer, I think the OP meant 2014. That said, he played banged up most of this year, and played the last half of 2013 with a torn ligament in his throwing thumb. As for this year's transfers, I thought our guys on the defensive side of the ball benefited us well, helping our defense finish in the top 10 nationally.

KPSUL
December 30th, 2014, 08:20 AM
JMU went for FBS transfers in a big way for 2014. Everett Withers brought in nine after accepting the head coaching job in December of 2013. Most of the group played and contributed; however, only one become an impact player during the 2014 season. But that one was Vad Lee, an outstanding QB who put up big numbers for passing 3462, and rushing 826.

Offense: Vad Lee - Georgia Tech (2014)
Sean Tapley - North Carolina (2014)
Ishmael Hyman - Kansas (2014)
Alden Hill - Tennessee (2014)
A.J. Bolden - Toledo (2014)
Nick Appel - North Carolina (2014)

Defense: Xavier Gates - Kansas State (2014)

JMU2004
December 30th, 2014, 09:19 AM
JMU went for FBS transfers in a big way for 2014. Everett Withers brought in nine after accepting the head coaching job in December of 2013. Most of the group played and contributed; however, only one become an impact player during the 2014 season. But that one was Vad Lee, an outstanding QB who put up big numbers for passing 3462, and rushing 826.

Offense: Vad Lee - Georgia Tech (2014)
Sean Tapley - North Carolina (2014)
Ishmael Hyman - Kansas (2014)
Alden Hill - Tennessee (2014)
A.J. Bolden - Toledo (2014)
Nick Appel - North Carolina (2014)

Defense: Xavier Gates - Kansas State (2014)

Yea, Vad was the only one starting after week 5. Appel and Hyman continued to see time. The rest, not so much.

Cocky
December 30th, 2014, 10:02 AM
LaMichael Fanning, Devaunte Sigler really improved our D.

Sammy94
December 30th, 2014, 10:48 AM
2014 FBS transfers for Sam, the ones in bold started or played a significant part of the season

Derreck Edwards Jr. WR Texas Tech
Jalen Overstreet So. RB Texas
Ernest Payton Jr. CB Missouri
Xavier Smith Sr. CB Missouri
Trenier Orr Jr. CB Cincinnati
Jarrell Oliver Jr. RB Utah
Trey Payne Jr. CB Miami/Ohio
Josh Hunt Jr. LB Wake Forest
Ladarius Brown Jr. WR TCU
Jeffrey Thomas Fr. WR Colorado
Jacobi Hunter Soph. DT Cal

Silenoz
December 30th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Travon Van - RB/WR
Jamaal Jones - WR
Jamal Wilson - FB
Kendrick Van Ackeren - MLB

All impact players. And Ellis Henderson was arguably the best player on our team before illness derailed his season and possibly career

edit: maybe I misunderstood the thread? These guys all transferred in 2013, but started this year

FormerPokeCenter
December 30th, 2014, 12:01 PM
The biggest success, historically, I think would be found at Marshall, where Randy Moss transferred in......

Biggest failure, historically, would be at McNeese, where Cecil the Diesel Collins transferred in after imploding at LSU and proceeded to implode in Lake Charles, and later, in Miami....he's still in Jail, I think...

We've had a couple of contenders for Cecil's crown...

Cocky
December 30th, 2014, 01:19 PM
The biggest success, historically, I think would be found at Marshall, where Randy Moss transferred in......

Biggest failure, historically, would be at McNeese, where Cecil the Diesel Collins transferred in after imploding at LSU and proceeded to implode in Lake Charles, and later, in Miami....he's still in Jail, I think...

Ingle Martin was a good one, too.

REALBird
December 30th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Tre Roberson is still playing, so I will deserve judgment on which 2014 FBS player benefitted his team the most. I think win or lose, he HAS to be in that conversation. We only won 5 games last year, all at home. Would like to think he has something to do with the reversal of fortune.

citdog
December 30th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Ingle Martin was a good one, too.

Within two posts of each other we get to remember moss and dingleberry martin...

Grizalltheway
December 30th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the reminder. It was bad enough watching the footage from the '96 title game on his 30 for 30 special.xsmhx

Rollbird5
December 30th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Has to be Illinois State since we are in the championship game in large part because of many of them.
Roberson has been huge all year especially when it matters the most
Barton and Liedtke have been staples on the oline leading to one of the best rushing threats in the nation with Roberson/Coprich
Perkins and Dunmore have been a big part of our defense as well.

Without these FBS transfers we are more of a borderline playoff team instead of possibly FCS Champions depending on Jan 10th outcome

Redbird 4th & short
December 30th, 2014, 06:11 PM
2014 FBS transfers for Sam, the ones in bold started or played a significant part of the season

Derreck Edwards Jr. WR Texas Tech
Jalen Overstreet So. RB Texas
Ernest Payton Jr. CB Missouri
Xavier Smith Sr. CB Missouri
Trenier Orr Jr. CB Cincinnati
Jarrell Oliver Jr. RB Utah
Trey Payne Jr. CB Miami/Ohio
Josh Hunt Jr. LB Wake Forest
Ladarius Brown Jr. WR TCU
Jeffrey Thomas Fr. WR Colorado
Jacobi Hunter Soph. DT Cal

I watched the SHSU game against NDSU. Commentators were talking about how they have 18 FBS transfers on their current roster .. was that untrue ? Did they mistakenly count Juco transfers alog with FBS transfers ? Or are the oes you list just from 2014 alone ?

Side note, the also commented how 18 of their current starters were not around for spring ball .. that doesn't seem likely, but is that also true ?

caribbeanhen
December 30th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I think it would be interesting if say 3 Alabama big time defensive players conspired and transferred to say........ Nicholls State..... just to see how much better they would get..... transfers intrigue me but I realize that not all of them are going to be difference makers or even start.

Bisonator
December 30th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Has to be Illinois State since we are in the championship game in large part because of many of them.
Roberson has been huge all year especially when it matters the most
Barton and Liedtke have been staples on the oline leading to one of the best rushing threats in the nation with Roberson/Coprich
Perkins and Dunmore have been a big part of our defense as well.

Without these FBS transfers we are more of a borderline playoff team instead of possibly FCS Champions depending on Jan 10th outcome

So if ISU wins the championship should it be asterisked?:D

Rollbird5
December 30th, 2014, 10:04 PM
So if ISU wins the championship should it be asterisked?:D

You guys beat a FBS team about every year so I'm sure you can handle a couple of ours with no problem ;)

lionsrking2
December 31st, 2014, 12:16 AM
I think it would be interesting if say 3 Alabama big time defensive players conspired and transferred to say........ Nicholls State..... just to see how much better they would get..... transfers intrigue me but I realize that not all of them are going to be difference makers or even start.

Kinda sorta happened with us this past year ... we had three transfers from LSU, all in the secondary. Only one started full time and another was a part time starter. The third played a lot in a backup role and will likely be a starter this coming year. We were going to have a good secondary as it was, but they made us a lot better, especially depth-wise. We're loaded back there for 2015.

Nickels
December 31st, 2014, 03:08 AM
I watched the SHSU game against NDSU. Commentators were talking about how they have 18 FBS transfers on their current roster .. was that untrue ? Did they mistakenly count Juco transfers alog with FBS transfers ? Or are the oes you list just from 2014 alone ?

Side note, the also commented how 18 of their current starters were not around for spring ball .. that doesn't seem likely, but is that also true ?
Yes we have 18 FBS transfers.
http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=11345&SPSID=92958
That list is 2014 transfers only.

Yeah, only four or so of our starters participated in the last Spring Game.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2014, 07:20 AM
Kinda sorta happened with us this past year ... we had three transfers from LSU, all in the secondary. Only one started full time and another was a part time starter. The third played a lot in a backup role and will likely be a starter this coming year. We were going to have a good secondary as it was, but they made us a lot better, especially depth-wise. We're loaded back there for 2015.

that had to hurt with Bennett not close to 100 pct for the playoffs this year.... any word on the 2015 QB? Is he already on the team or will you be dialing up 1 800 Pac 10 Again?

KPSUL
December 31st, 2014, 09:07 AM
For fans of the teams with a lot of FBS transfers - Are you concerned how this might effect your teams ability to recruit HS seniors? Will the top HS prospects considering an FCS school want to come to a program that relies heavily on bringing in FBS players?
On the other hand, if your team stays away from FBS transfers, do you feel like they are failing to exploit a source of good players? What you like to see them consider FBS transfers?
I don't want UNH to bring FBS transfer in in wholesale numbers, but I hope they consider looking for 2 or 3 transfers in areas where we have big holes for 2015 like RB or DE. We have an unusually large number of graduating starters, especially on offense.

REALBird
December 31st, 2014, 09:38 AM
For fans of the teams with a lot of FBS transfers - Are you concerned how this might effect your teams ability to recruit HS seniors? Will the top HS prospects considering an FCS school want to come to a program that relies heavily on bringing in FBS players?
On the other hand, if your team stays away from FBS transfers, do you feel like they are failing to exploit a source of good players? What you like to see them consider FBS transfers?
I don't want UNH to bring FBS transfer in in wholesale numbers, but I hope they consider looking for 2 or 3 transfers in areas where we have big holes for 2015 like RB or DE. We have an unusually large number of graduating starters, especially on offense.

I think it's hit or miss. Bringing in FBS transfers doesn't always equal success. Some kids turn out great (Roberson - IU), David Perkins (tOSU), Jermaine Barton (U of Miami), Oshay Dunsmore (Oregon).......but we also have a RB - Jeffrey Lewis from Wisconsin who can't sniff the field due to Marshaun Coprich (Illinois State recruit). We took the Barnett kid from Iowa State as QB last year, and unfortunately his career ended due to injuries (back), but not sure he was better than Blake Winkler (Illinois State recruit), or if he just didn't mesh well with the system.

We've been able to use a model where we've developed talent Coprich, Neblett, Meredith, O'Shaugnessey, Corwin, Banks, Allen. But a lot of our kids have also been willing to make position changes, so having kids who buy into the system and willing to make changes to get on the field to showcase their talents helps a lot.

Chemistry is more than a class. Not everyone is the right fit.

OSBF
December 31st, 2014, 10:37 AM
I think it's hit or miss. Bringing in FBS transfers doesn't always equal success. Some kids turn out great (Roberson - IU), David Perkins (tOSU), Jermaine Barton (U of Miami), Oshay Dunsmore (Oregon).......but we also have a RB - Jeffrey Lewis from Wisconsin who can't sniff the field due to Marshaun Coprich (Illinois State recruit). We took the Barnett kid from Iowa State as QB last year, and unfortunately his career ended due to injuries (back), but not sure he was better than Blake Winkler (Illinois State recruit), or if he just didn't mesh well with the system.

We've been able to use a model where we've developed talent Coprich, Neblett, Meredith, O'Shaugnessey, Corwin, Banks, Allen. But a lot of our kids have also been willing to make position changes, so having kids who buy into the system and willing to make changes to get on the field to showcase their talents helps a lot.

Chemistry is more than a class. Not everyone is the right fit.

I think the transfer thing comes with a mindset some casual fans have to get past

I'm all fine with a kid transferring "down" to get more PT

BUT.........................

If a guy is 3 or 4 deep on the depth chart in the MAC, is he really good enough to help out an MVFC roster?

In most cases I would say no.

Just because a guy played at an FBS program does not mean that by default better than what you have already, provided you've been doing the hard work you need to do in recruiting.

lionsrking2
January 1st, 2015, 03:53 AM

We have more JC transfers than FBS transfers, but neither group has hampered our ability to recruit high school kids. Obviously we don't get all the HS kids we want but we've been successful at getting a large number of our primary HS targets and just about all have either contributed significantly or will be in the mix to contribute. We have very few scholarship HS players who struggle to get on the field. Our biggest obstacle in recruiting high school players is the sheer volume of FBS schools we have to compete with on the recruiting trail. We have five FBS in Louisiana alone, not to mention the schools from around the country who set up shop here. Our staff doesn't back down and will recruit anyone, even if they know we can't touch them. Early relationships go a long way, especially if a young man looks to transfer a year or two down the road.

Cocky
January 1st, 2015, 06:53 AM
Get the best players you can get and put the best team on the field possible.

katstrapper
January 2nd, 2015, 03:54 PM

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH,BLAH.... SAM HOUSTON TOOK 14 TRANSFERS IN 2014.
Sam Houston only took the number of transfers in 2014 because of the following.....

* Willie Fritz left late to go to Ga Southern. This really hurt the recruiting process especially since he took half the staff with him. There was 4 coaches to handle all of the recruiting while SHSU looked for a new HC.

*KCK showed up in Huntsville 2 weeks before signing day. Sure isn't much time to talk to potential recruits to sway their decision or keep commitments, especially when he didn't even have a staff put together.

*Sam Houston lost pretty much all of its offense in Flanders, Bell and Sincere, plus returned only one senior on each side of the ball.

*Kats only signed 13 high school kids in 2014. They had over 20 schollies available.

KCK had to fill holes if they wanted to compete NOW !! So they took the ones that would help. Don't look for a ton of transfers moving forward. The State of Texas is STACKED with athletes all over the state and many of them within a 3 hour radius of Huntsville. I am so tired of hearing about THE SAM HOUSTON TRANSFERS.. ESPN just bemoaned that fact the SHSU had a total of 18 on the roster. They don't care to look into WHY that happened.
But also, does it really matter? If you look at the roster of Sam Houston you will see that many of those transfer kids all played high school ball in Texas. What is the big deal if a kid wants a fresh start and more playing time while gaining their degree. Chances are they would have ended up somewhere else in the Southland so why not at Sam Houston plus they wanted to be closer to home.
Look for Sam Houston to be tough next year !! Returning 20 of 22 starters in 2015. GET READY !!