PDA

View Full Version : Mike & Mike in the Morning today....

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I watched Mike & Mike in the Morning today, and Golic brought up the point of how Iaa has playoffs and maybe Ia should adopt them... their guest (I forget who it was, he is on the show quite a bit) said that it would be unfair to ask Ia players to go through 4 or 5 more games at this point in the season... His explanation on how Iaa teams are able to do so is that "many Iaa teams split up the scholarships so many teams have something like 150 players, so they can play the extra games" (quote not right on the money but that is almost his exact words)... I do not know about the rest of you but all the playoffs I have seen I do not see anybody other than the same 30-40 starters/immediate backups that I do throughout the season... What are your thoughts?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I watched Mike & Mike in the Morning today, and Golic brought up the point of how Iaa has playoffs and maybe Ia should adopt them... their guest (I forget who it was, he is on the show quite a bit) said that it would be unfair to ask Ia players to go through 4 or 5 more games at this point in the season... His explanation on how Iaa teams are able to do so is that "many Iaa teams split up the scholarships so many teams have something like 150 players, so they can play the extra games" (quote not right on the money but that is almost his exact words)... I do not know about the rest of you but all the playoffs I have seen I do not see anybody other than the same 30-40 starters/immediate backups that I do throughout the season... What are your thoughts?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is the first time I've heard that I-AA has an unfair advantage over I-A.

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I mean apparently we have 150-200 players to play our games... that is a helluva an advantage... I wonder if we still can only have 11 on the field at a time

grizbeer
November 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Teams are able to split scholarships, which might provide a little more depth, but that is ridiculous, I-AA teams in the championship game play 15 games (11 regular season plus 4 playoff). 1/2 of all I-A teams will play 13 games (12 regular season plus 1 bowl game). Is he really saying that the 4 best I-A teams in the country don't have the depth and talent to play 2 more games in a year?

thirdgendin
November 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
The NCAA mandate for players who can dress in a I-AA playoff game is actually LESS than the 63 scholarship allotment. This guy is WAAAAAAY off.

bandl
November 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
What about the fact that I-AA athletes are, without a question, lesser athletes than I-A athletes?? :rolleyes: That is why I-AA athletes have to sub in & out so much...they are such an inferior brand of athlete that they can not handle the vigors of an entire football game like the athletically gifted gods of I-A. :cool:

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I mean rotating 150-200 players into game takes a lot of skill, teams will not know who is who because there will be at least two of every number... Maybe we should start using three-digit numbers in Iaa like in track and stuff, that way we can play our 200 players without anybody getting confused

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM
I mean apparently we have 150-200 players to play our games... that is a helluva an advantage... I wonder if we still can only have 11 on the field at a time

Teams are not allowed to dress out as many players during the playoffs as they are during the regular season. That guy had no clue what he was talking about. I believe the maximum is 55 players or so during the playoffs. During the regular season you can have 80 or more if you want.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
The NCAA mandate for players who can dress in a I-AA playoff game is actually LESS than the 63 scholarship allotment. This guy is WAAAAAAY off.

I just saw where you posted this. I repeated your sentiment already and you are right. How F****** stupid is it that you can give 63 scholarships but only dress out 50 something guys?????

It just does not make sense. The NCAA needs to do something about that. That is another thing wrong with I-AA.

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
i was being sarcastic, I know the rules (well roughly)... When I heard him say that I couldnt belive it... It is not as though he was trying to be disrespectful or anything he was just ignorant

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM
very ignorant

BlueHen86
November 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM
There is no real good argument against a playoff system. The people that control the bowls, and the money coming in from the bowls, don't want one. I assume it's because they would lose some control, and revenue, that they currently have. Their arguments against a playoff are nothing more than lame excuses.
The idea that teams with FEWER scholarships have more depth than teams with MORE scholarships is idiotic.xidiotx

ysubigred
November 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Teams are not allowed to dress out as many players during the playoffs as they are during the regular season. That guy had no clue what he was talking about. I believe the maximum is 55 players or so during the playoffs. During the regular season you can have 80 or more if you want.

That's for a home game. 55 seem's to be the number for all road games ???

BlueHen86
November 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Currently teams are allowed 11 games, I believe they are considering adding a game.
Also, the Big 12, ACC and SEC have a championship game and the winner goes to a BCS bowl.
That's 13 games, maybe 14 in the future.

Only two I-AA teams play more than that. I guess I-A can't have a playoff because that 1 extra game would be too much.:rolleyes:

JMG1MON
November 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Blue, that 12 game season got implemented this season. Thats one of the reason there were so many 1-a vs. 1-aa games. 1-a teams had to fill their 12 game schedules.

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Anyone got an email for Mike & Mike so we can tell them how horendous this information is

Kiss My Apps
November 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/story?storyId=1113601

AZGrizFan
November 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I can hear the announcer now:

Now playing Left Tackle, Number 174, Mike Moron"

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I emailed them

BlueHen86
November 15th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Blue, that 12 game season got implemented this season. Thats one of the reason there were so many 1-a vs. 1-aa games. 1-a teams had to fill their 12 game schedules.
Thanks, you're right.:nod:
Like I was saying, 14 games is okay, 15 is too many.:rolleyes:
Maybe they should give I-A programs more scholarships so that they aren't so disadvantaged.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Lets get that email party started I just took care of one

GannonFan
November 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM
If we're e-mailing, let's get it right. Isn't there a limit of how many players total can even be on a roster (even with partial schollies)? What is that number? And what are the limits on how many can dress for home games and road games during the season? And what are the limits for who can dress for home and away games during the playoffs?

kats89
November 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM
What about the fact that I-AA athletes are, without a question, lesser athletes than I-A athletes?? :rolleyes: That is why I-AA athletes have to sub in & out so much...they are such an inferior brand of athlete that they can not handle the vigors of an entire football game like the athletically gifted gods of I-A. :cool:

:nono: :nono:

I promise DD Terry would totally disagree with that statement.

bandl
November 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
:nono: :nono:

I promise DD Terry would totally disagree with that statement.

You do know what the :rolleyes: & :cool: signify, right?

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Curious to see how Mike & Mike respond... they are pretty open-minded to emails as it seems on their show maybe this website will get a shoutout... hear that Ralph free advertising!

lizrdgizrd
November 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I emailed them
Would you mind / can you post what you wrote to them?

OhioHen
November 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Obviously the reason there are so few I-AA players in the NFL is because they get so little playing time in college. :nod:

Let's see --
60 minutes a game with 11 players on the field = 660 player-minutes per game. Assuming 11 games played = 7260 player-minutes per season. Split evenly among 150 players = 48.4 minutes per player each year -- barely three full games of college experience for a I-AA player over 4 years. xlolx

Seems like the "college football experts" just keep getting more and more clueless every time they open up their mouths. :bang:

AppGirl
November 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I don't remeber the numbers, but it seems like we get about 12 fewer schollies than I-A, but we can split them, they can't. We've had several players start as walk-ons and earn a scholly.

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Would you mind / can you post what you wrote to them?

I didn't copy it, but the gist of it was that they should not bring "experts" on their show with obviously incorrect information. I noted that there is no possible way a team could have 150 players as this "expert" noted. And that there is no excuse for I-A football not having a playoff. I said I was disappointed that they did not call out this "expert" on his obviously wrong information. Any idiot should know that 150 players is a major exaggeration. No, I didn't call them idiots but I did say that they should know better.

kats89
November 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
You do know what the :rolleyes: & :cool: signify, right?

:nod:

Freightliner
November 15th, 2006, 11:39 AM
If we're e-mailing, let's get it right. Isn't there a limit of how many players total can even be on a roster (even with partial schollies)? What is that number? And what are the limits on how many can dress for home games and road games during the season? And what are the limits for who can dress for home and away games during the playoffs?

I believe its 110 TOTAL players that can be on the roster.

Limits for road games I believe is 70 (in so far as the Southland Conference goes), home games is 100.

Playoffs is limited to 56 players dressed (home and road) and if I am not mistaken 20 staff members (coaches, managers, trainers). The rest of the players/staff are to be relegated to the stands.

*tries to find the I-AA playoff handbook he had from last year to confirm*

Umass74
November 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM
The rule is 63 scholarships spread over a maximum of 85 players for I-AA.

MarkCCU
November 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM
what a maroon!

Dane96
November 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM
BELOW IS MY E-MAIL:

"Mike and Mike,

Not sure who that guest was on your show this morning, but the guy was completely out of whack with his reasoning for the I-AA playoffs not being effective for I-A.

First off, I-A schools can only give out 63 scholarships...and those scholarships can ONLY BE SPLIT to 85 guys (the NCAA ceiling for scholarships). In essence, you cant have 140 guys on scholarship.

Second, playoff rules establish that only 56 members can dress for a traveling party to a playoff game, and I do not quite remember the number for home games, however I believe it is the same as I-A, which is just over 100.

His reasoning was baseless.

Furthermore, I played football at many levels...and not once did I see a coach in a playoff game goe to his 6 deep squad (66 players on each side of the ball equals 132...about the number your esteemed guest threw out). I mean come on...most games feature about 80 guys TOTAL...if that, between both teams game participation reprts.

Now, the argument for playoffs? It is settled on the field. I mean really, who wouldnt pay to go see, and what advertisers wouldn't clamor to pay for rights, the 1-16 teams play each other this year over four extended weekends? Instead of adding a crappy 12 game, you have 11 games. For the Bowl Season, 17-whatever play their bowls that no one but the schools and alumni care about...and 1-16 go to the playoffs. Of those 1-16, only 2 play four games...and bet your butts they wouldnt cry over the 4th game. 4 play 3 games, 8 play two games, and 8 play 1 game extra.

NOT SO SHABBY!"

GtFllsGriz
November 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
hahahahahahahahah, I am still laughing at that comment. I hope he was an unpaid guest becuase if he is paid for that kind of an analysis I am in the wrong proffession. hahahahahahahahh

McNeese72
November 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM

That too many game argument always kills me. Sixteen teams play one extra game. Eight teams play two extra games. Four teams play three and only two teams play four extra games.

Doc

DinoDex200
November 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Teams are able to split scholarships, which might provide a little more depth, but that is ridiculous, I-AA teams in the championship game play 15 games (11 regular season plus 4 playoff). 1/2 of all I-A teams will play 13 games (12 regular season plus 1 bowl game). Is he really saying that the 4 best I-A teams in the country don't have the depth and talent to play 2 more games in a year?

I almost wouldn't even factor in those Bowl Games...many teams have 30-40 days between their last regular season game and a Bowl. It's almost like an entirely different season. Heck...the winner of Ohio State-Michigan will have 51 days between that game and the BCS Championship!

You are right, though, it's entirely possible now for I-A teams to play a 14 game schedule if they are in The ACC, SEC, Big 12, CUSA, or MAC...thus debunking the "too many games" myth.

It's not just about bowl money either...the big schools want those extra guaranteed, scheduled, home games to bring in more $$$.

BeauFoster
November 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I have always thought that if they want to decide it on the field, an 8 team playoff would do a pretty good job. Let Tostitos and Nokia and whoever else wants to be a sponsor pony up for each round. The remaining bowl eligible teams can go to the Meineke Bowl or Gaylord Memphis Bowl and get their pay check. Each team in the playoff gets a certain amount of cash for playing in the first rd, second rd, and so on. That way, everyone gets paid, sponsors are happy and the title is won on the gridiron.

UNHFan99
November 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The too many games myth kills me too. I remember talking with a former player of mine about our team losing to UNI last year about a week after the game. We were discussing how it stunk that we were out and if there was no playoffs in 1-AA and it was done like 1-A we would have played for the national championship. After talking about this we still said the playoffs were the best thing going and that was the way to do. Even though we were certain that if it was one game we could have beat anyone on AGS we still preffered the rigors of the playoffs to find the true champion.

I also talked with another friend that played 1-A ball at a big east school. I was explaining to him how great the playoffs are and how they do it all wrong. He thought the playoffs were a good idea but explained why it wont happen. He said if your team makes it to a bowl they get so many free ammentities and get a vacation for a week for everyone involved. For example if you are in the Nokia Sugar bowl. Free cell phones for everyone involved. Another problem is all the money of course, as long as you keep winning thats more money for your school. Thats unfair to alot of other schools. Plus alot of the premier athletes are already looking to the NFL and their main concern might be staying healthy. Agent call these athletes all the time and are harrassing them constantly. Even if the player is trying not to think of their future they are being reminded of a pro career nonstop. These are just my opinions and obviouslly i think they should go to a playoff as well.

Millwoch
November 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
That guy is an idiot...Many schools do split scholarships, but that is because their sports is not fully funded. A lot of smaller schools do this with basketball, wrestling, etc. Most big (top 75) I-AA football programs are fully funded. They have less scholies than I-A even if they are split.

AmsterBison
November 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
The rule is 63 scholarships spread over a maximum of 85 players for I-AA.

That says it all right there.

It's DII that can divide their 36 schollies up 120 ways. DII signing classes often have around 30 kids - and to be announced as part of the signing class, they have to be getting some sort of schollie. So I guess DII has an advantage over poor old DI-A.

bandl
November 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
BELOW IS MY E-MAIL:

"Mike and Mike,

Not sure who that guest was on your show this morning, but the guy was completely out of whack with his reasoning for the I-AA playoffs not being effective for I-A.

First off, I-A schools can only give out 63 scholarships...and those scholarships can ONLY BE SPLIT to 85 guys (the NCAA ceiling for scholarships). In essence, you cant have 140 guys on scholarship.

Second, playoff rules establish that only 56 members can dress for a traveling party to a playoff game, and I do not quite remember the number for home games, however I believe it is the same as I-A, which is just over 100.

His reasoning was baseless.

Furthermore, I played football at many levels...and not once did I see a coach in a playoff game goe to his 6 deep squad (66 players on each side of the ball equals 132...about the number your esteemed guest threw out). I mean come on...most games feature about 80 guys TOTAL...if that, between both teams game participation reprts.

Now, the argument for playoffs? It is settled on the field. I mean really, who wouldnt pay to go see, and what advertisers wouldn't clamor to pay for rights, the 1-16 teams play each other this year over four extended weekends? Instead of adding a crappy 12 game, you have 11 games. For the Bowl Season, 17-whatever play their bowls that no one but the schools and alumni care about...and 1-16 go to the playoffs. Of those 1-16, only 2 play four games...and bet your butts they wouldnt cry over the 4th game. 4 play 3 games, 8 play two games, and 8 play 1 game extra.

NOT SO SHABBY!"
Dane, please let us know what their response is, if any. Or if anyone gets a response for that matter.

bobbythekidd
November 15th, 2006, 05:31 PM
UlumNEC,
How did Mike and Mike respond to this? They made the argument that I-A should move to a playoff champion, and this guy shoots it down. I am curious how they defended their stance.

jmuroller
November 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Gentlemen, here are some exact numbers.

1-AA is allowed to have 63 "equivilancies(sp?)" spread amongst 85 players.

The rule on rosters is this for 1-AA. During preseason camp before school starts you can have 90 "active" players on your roster. That means only 90 players can practice, and anyone else must be inactive (i.e. injured).

When school starts the roster limit taken away. You can have as many players as you want on your team. Some schools, especially the bigger ones (even in 1-A) have over 120+ players. One thing that really restricts schools from having these huge rosters every year is Title IX. I know at JMU the football team is limited in how big their roster can be because of that. One of my roomates my soph year wanted to walk on but the coaches told him they can't add anymore because they were to their maximum numbers. Schools that don't have Title IX issues can have these huge rosters that really help when it comes scout teams and finding that "diamond in the rough" player.

When it comes to travel squads, the NCAA has no rules on how big they can be during the season. But, basically every conference has a rule that restricts how big your travel squad can be. In the A-10 the number is 56. At home you can dress out as many as you want, but when you travel you can only bring 56 players. If you bring any more you to have inform the other team and the conference office before the weekend.

In the 1-AA playoffs the travel squad number is 60. This is enforced for the away AND the home team. They are very strict with this and you have to submit your roster before the game. I'm pretty sure there was somebody that got in trouble with this a while back. They dressed more than 60 for a home playoff game and one of the officials up in the booth caught it. Not for sure who it was and what happened to them.

UNHFan99
November 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
League games for the A-10 also have a restriction on the number of players that can dress at home too. I dont know what it is but it is about 10 more people than make the travel squad i think.

Umass74
November 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM
League games for the A-10 also have a restriction on the number of players that can dress at home too. I dont know what it is but it is about 10 more people than make the travel squad i think.

Are you sure of this? UMass lists 89 numbered players on its game program. As far as I can see, they dress them all for home game, minus the guys that are hurt (who usually wear their game jerseys, but no equipment).

Walkon79
November 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
The guest was the old head coach from Bama. Can't think of his name right now, but he does color for ESPN FB.

jmuroller
November 15th, 2006, 06:51 PM
99, The A10 doesn't have restriction on how many can dress and play at home games. I know this for a fact.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2006, 06:56 PM
One thing that really restricts schools from having these huge rosters every year is Title IX. I know at JMU the football team is limited in how big their roster can be because of that. One of my roomates my soph year wanted to walk on but the coaches told him they can't add anymore because they were to their maximum numbers. Schools that don't have Title IX issues can have these huge rosters that really help when it comes scout teams and finding that "diamond in the rough" player.

I thought Title IX had to do with scholarships. Otherwise the answer would be to add sports instead of taking them away.

jmuroller
November 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I thought Title IX had to do with scholarships. Otherwise the answer would be to add sports instead of taking them away.

Roster sizes also are brought into the equation. The number of schloarships must be a good male/female Title IX happy ratio, along with total number of athletes on all rosters.

kardplayer
November 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Roster sizes also are brought into the equation. The number of schloarships must be a good male/female Title IX happy ratio, along with total number of athletes on all rosters.

From the Western Kentucky I-A discussion, I believe it is roster sizes. There was discussion then about discouraging women to walk on and encouraging men to walk on to get the numbers even, but they decided to go I-A instead.

kardplayer
November 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM
The guest was the old head coach from Bama. Can't think of his name right now, but he does color for ESPN FB.

Was it Bill Curry? He is the "old coach" who comes around a lot...

UNHFan99
November 15th, 2006, 07:55 PM
99, The A10 doesn't have restriction on how many can dress and play at home games. I know this for a fact

Maybe you are right but at UNH not everyone gets to dress. I assumed it was a rule. Maybe coach doesnt dress everyone so that guys have something to battle for all week in practice because the last guys on the dressing list change constantly. I apoligize for my ignorance, but i thought i was right.

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 07:58 PM
UlumNEC,
How did Mike and Mike respond to this? They made the argument that I-A should move to a playoff champion, and this guy shoots it down. I am curious how they defended their stance.

Trying to remember the actual conversation... If I remember correctly it was more of an off-hand comment by Mike and Mike saying basically just something like, "why doesn't Ia do a playoff format like Iaa and other divisions"... It was a simple harmless statement from Mike and Mike, not really a firm belief that Iaa was the way to go or anything, just more of an observation that maybe Ia should do a playoff style like us... That is what I remember anyway, the show was this morning and I had a long day... But I do know for certain it was not Mike and Mike making the comments about how Iaa has 200 players, etc... that was the response from their guest

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I will try and find out their guest who made the comments...

kardplayer
November 15th, 2006, 08:02 PM
If you want the straight scoop, download the Best of Mike and Mike podcast that refers to Joe Namath and Urban Meyer (from 11/15) - I'm listening to it right now...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/index

You can fast forward to the 33 minute mark to hear Bill Curry.

He botched the facts about the number of players on each roster. There were a few other points of interest too:

1. He called out the Presidents and AD's for the hypocrisy of a 12th game and no playoffs (kudos to him for that)
2. He said the Bowl Committees are too powerful and that they already "took one" to enable the BCS in the first place (I believe that)
3. He said that I-AA can have playoffs because "how much crush of publicity is there for the I-AA playoffs? 3 writers? 2 Television stations?" for I-A "It would be like the Super Bowl if they played a playoff - you could forget about having a life for two months its unfair to the players" (Getting beyond the inflammatory remarks about I-AA, he's probably right about that too)

#3 is the best argument I've ever heard against a playoff in I-A. He's right about the attention they'd get, and since there would be a week between games, they'd be in the spotlight for a lot longer than the basketball players are, where there's a lot less time until the next story comes along...

JohnStOnge
November 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM

That must've been that ex Alabama coach who played for the Green Bay Packers during their glory days...his name is escaping me right now but I can see his face. I've heard him make that argument before. It's ridiculous and innacurate. He's just one of those guys who is against I-A playoffs and will come up with any argument he has to.

Note: Just came back to edit because the post above mine says "Bill Curry." Yeah, that's him.

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Looking at the list of guests this morning by process of elimination I believe it may have been Bill Curry... I am pretty certain on this but not 100% sure

alumNEC
November 15th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Oops should have refreshed my page, people already confirmed my estimate of who it was

AZGrizFan
November 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
If you want the straight scoop, download the Best of Mike and Mike podcast that refers to Joe Namath and Urban Meyer (from 11/15) - I'm listening to it right now...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/index

You can fast forward to the 33 minute mark to hear Bill Curry.

He botched the facts about the number of players on each roster. There were a few other points of interest too:

1. He called out the Presidents and AD's for the hypocrisy of a 12th game and no playoffs (kudos to him for that)
2. He said the Bowl Committees are too powerful and that they already "took one" to enable the BCS in the first place (I believe that)
3. He said that I-AA can have playoffs because "how much crush of publicity is there for the I-AA playoffs? 3 writers? 2 Television stations?" for I-A "It would be like the Super Bowl if they played a playoff - you could forget about having a life for two months its unfair to the players" (Getting beyond the inflammatory remarks about I-AA, he's probably right about that too)

#3 is the best argument I've ever heard against a playoff in I-A. He's right about the attention they'd get, and since there would be a week between games, they'd be in the spotlight for a lot longer than the basketball players are, where there's a lot less time until the next story comes along...

Disagree. It's baseless. The teams that are ADVANCING in March Madness get that same crush and spotlight for 4 weeks. Same would apply to ONLY the teams that advance. No more, no less.

They're going to have to work harder than that to come up with a viable reason to NOT have a playoff. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kardplayer
November 15th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Disagree. It's baseless. The teams that are ADVANCING in March Madness get that same crush and spotlight for 4 weeks. Same would apply to ONLY the teams that advance. No more, no less.

They're going to have to work harder than that to come up with a viable reason to NOT have a playoff. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"They" haven't come up with a good excuse yet - "They" being the powers of the NCAA, the BCS schools, and the bowl committees that control the whole thing. Their reality is that the bowls have too much to lose financially/the fighting between the parties over the extra overall money available is something either they don't want to do or have tried and are so far apart they don't see it ever working out. If any of the vested parties made the same argument, I would think it was a load of hooey.

That said, as an unvested party, this argument does make sense to me.

The reality is, in the 4 days between the selection announcement and the start of games, only the top 1 and 2 seeds have anything remotely resembling media pressure, and even that is generally light.

Let me prove it:
Think quick (don't look it up)... can you name the top 3 seeds in each bracket from last year? How about the Elite 8?

Now, can you tell me who the 12 NFL playoff teams were? How about the 16 teams in the I-AA playoffs?

I'm guessing the football ones were easier.

Can you name the entire Final Four from last year?
Can you name the Super Bowl teams and who they beat to get there?
Can you name the I-AA championship opponents and who they beat to get there?

If the football ones were easier, that's because there's more time to think about them - with a week between each set of games. In March Madness, there are 48 games the first weekend. The stories are around the upsets and the squeakers. The media pressure doesn't really start to build until the week between the Elite 8 and the Final Four, and even then its not nearly as big as the current Bowls get.

Take a look at recent ratings (latest I could find):
NCAA first Thursday 2006 - 4.9 overall, 6.4 for the prime time window
NCAA UCLA/Florida final 2006 - 11.2
NCAA UConn/Ga. Tech final 2004 - 11.0

By comparison, the BCS undercards (the Fiesta and the Orange) rated 12.9 and 12.3 respectively, and the Rose Bowl rated 21.7. Even the worst rated BCS game (Sugar - Georgia vs. West Virginia) drew a 9.0.

The beginning of the hoops tourny is roughly the equivalent of the Alamo Bowl (the best of the lesser bowls last year). That's just not a lot of crush if you ask me.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Quite surprised to hear that Bill Curry would make those type of comments. He really should know better. He worked several games as the color commentator during the 2005 I-AA playoffs, including the Appalachian State-Furman semifinal and did an excellent job. He showed up in town several days early and I had a chance to talk to him at some practices. He was a real nice guy and did a great job of preparing himself for the broadcast. Don't know where the comments on Wednesday came from, but obviously Bill blew it big time on that show.

The Gadfly
November 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM
From the wise words of P-Diddy, "It's all about the Benjamins baby". It's not about if I-AA has more scholarships to give away, it's about the amount of moola the schools get from the Bowls.

November 16th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I don't remeber the numbers, but it seems like we get about 12 fewer schollies than I-A, but we can split them, they can't. We've had several players start as walk-ons and earn a scholly.22 less schollies.

I've heard that I-AA players change jerseys with team mates (#2 switches jerseys with #3) during the game to confuse opponents. :read:

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Has anyone gotten an email response?

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Your 2006 Delaware Blue Hens

boonegoon
November 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
If I were to ever run for president 1 A playoffs would be part of my platform. LOL

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Your 2006 Delaware Blue Hens

Is #10 asleep Hen?

boonegoon
November 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ifs and buts are candy and nuts but...

Ohio St. (1)
Wake Forest (16)

Mich (2)
Cal (15)

USC(3)
Auburn(14)

Fla(4)
Texas(13)

Notre Dame (5)
Boise St. (12)

Rutgers (6)
LSU (11)

Ark (7)
Louisville (10)

West Va. ( 9)
Wisconsin (8)

I think it would be very interesting to see this play out

boonegoon
November 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
PS this is the BS standings

alumNEC
November 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Is #10 asleep Hen?

No he is just mad that he won't be getting any playing time in Iaa because he has 199 teammates... :smiley_wi

appfan2008
November 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM
did anyone listen this morning to see if they responded at all?
also i didnt get a response to my email am i the only one?

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM
No response for me either

89Hen
November 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
No he is just mad that he won't be getting any playing time in Iaa because he has 199 teammates... :smiley_wi
If you only knew how close you actually are to the truth. #10 is our back-up QB of four years, Ryan Carty. He's not getting any playing time because of the I-A transfer QB we have starting. I do feel bad for the kid. :(