PDA

View Full Version : Alex Wood named Coach @ Florida A&M..

kdinva
December 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
a former JMU head coach, amongst other stops on the way....

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=787875

Big Dawg
December 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Now let's get to work...it's time for Rattler football to come back STRONGER than ever

Mr. C
December 23rd, 2014, 01:41 PM
There is a name from the FCS past. I covered Wood when his JMU team played a 1995 first-round playoff game at Appalachian State. That day is also notable because it was the day my oldest daughter was born.

OL FU
December 23rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
There is a name from the FCS past. I covered Wood when his JMU team played a 1995 first-round playoff game at Appalachian State. That day is also notable because it was the day my oldest daughter was born.

Well speaking of priorities:p;)

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
So does this hire show that FAMU is dedicated to playoff football, or not necessarily?

superman7515
December 23rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
So does this hire show that FAMU is dedicated to playoff football, or not necessarily?

Not necessarily. Alex was never interested in the playoffs. He took over a team that won the A-10 and 10 games (1-1 in the playoffs) and won 8 (0-1 in the playoffs), 7, 5, and 3. The very next season, he was replaced, and the new coach with the same talent won 8 games and won the A-10.

Of course, that was 15 years ago, so maybe he's picked up a few things since then. But the only gear he had at James Madison was reverse and despite plenty of talent, he drove them right into the ground, although obviously nothing a decent coach couldn't immediately fix the next season because JMU's problems under him were the X's and O's, not Jimmy's and Joe's.

JMU2004
December 24th, 2014, 09:42 AM
wow...umm....never thought he would get another HC job.

Lets just say he has no friends at JMU, especially among his former players. He crushed a strong program and it took Matthews 5 years (and nearly his job) to turn it around.

Good luck with him.

Big Dawg
December 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM
wow...umm....never thought he would get another HC job.

Lets just say he has no friends at JMU, especially among his former players. He crushed a strong program and it took Matthews 5 years (and nearly his job) to turn it around.

Good luck with him.

Let's just hope he's learned some things since 1998