PDA

View Full Version : Robertson 2nd team All American

VUCats02
December 18th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Doesn't make much sense to me. VA with the AP first team all american honors. Considering the distance between Robertson and VA in the Payton award voting, this is a bit shocking to me, but who am I to know what all those people think.

Gil Dobie
December 18th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Both are great players, just a different group of voters.

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I've always looked at voters for the Heisman & the Payton as more of lifetime achievement awards versus what they did that specific season.

Sammy94
December 18th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I think VA's thuggish attitude hurt him for the Payton.

deez_na
December 18th, 2014, 08:03 AM
wasn't VA out for a chunk of weeks also?

Redbird Recon
December 18th, 2014, 08:23 AM
A black kid playing with some attitude is now considered thuggish?

GannonFan
December 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Payton Award voters have always been more picky and have more weird nuances. Before Bo Levi Mitchell winning the award it was taboo to be a transfer and an automatic disqualification to win the award. Payton Award voters are like the voters for the Baseball Hall of Fame - they seem to enjoy setting up changeable criteria for that they vote for. Makes them feel important.

Sammy94
December 18th, 2014, 08:44 AM
thuggish?

Should I have used the word "cocky" or do you just think the word thug is just associated to one race?

Redbird Recon
December 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Should I have used the word "cocky" or do you just think the word thug is just associated to one race?
Cocky deals with arrogance.
A thug, by definition, is a violent criminal.

Sammy94
December 18th, 2014, 08:53 AM

Point taken, I'll use cocky then. I don't think that helped VA's chances at the Payton.

tomq04
December 18th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I'm as much of a homer as I can be for VA, but every time I listen to interviews I'm always impressed with his attitude and gratitude toward the opportunity to even play. I don't understand where the "thug" opinion is coming from.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Both are great players, just a different group of voters.

Nailed it. Different voters, different results.

YoUDeeMan
December 18th, 2014, 11:18 AM
TDs to INTs (35-3 is ridiculous)...and the rushing yards...those two things separates Robertson from VA by a mile. You never really saw Robertson panic. Smart kid...got the job done.

Seems as though the All American award people wanted a simple passer instead of an all around QB. The Payton award folks awarded their trophy to the better player...who also was the better overall QB.

Cocky
December 18th, 2014, 11:20 AM
A thug, by definition, is a violent criminal.

Why are y'all talking about me?

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I'm as much of a homer as I can be for VA, but every time I listen to interviews I'm always impressed with his attitude and gratitude toward the opportunity to even play. I don't understand where the "thug" opinion is coming from.

I agree. I dislike the guy on the field because he tends to tear the Griz a new one, but outside of the silly tweet before the 2013 game, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and shows respect for his opponents.

dudeitsaid
December 18th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Thuggish attitude? In what way? Do you have some evidence if this? What has he done that defines his overall attitude as thuggish?

dudeitsaid
December 18th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Point taken, I'll use cocky then. I don't think that helped VA's chances at the Payton.

I don't think "cocky" is a checkbox on the voters criteria. Many players have some "swag" to them. I don't think that makes them bad players.

People act like VA is cocky. I don't get it. Why? I don't here him slamming other teams players, his own team-members, and talking like he is the "be all and end all" of college football. He has this weird rep on the internet for some reason, but why don't you listen to interviews with him. He's a class act.

HailSzczur
December 18th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I haven't heard 1 bad word about VA, so I don't know where any of that is coming from. Only bad thing I have to say about him is maybe next time don't get injured :D

Do I think it's BS that Robertson wasn't a consensus All American? Yes. Am I that upset over him getting 'robbed'? No. I believe he was 1st team in every other list, and more importantly he brought home the hardware. Onto bigger and better things, like a NC run and putting some breathing room between us and every other school's Payton tally when he wins again next year.

MTfan4life
December 20th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Doesn't make much sense to me. VA with the AP first team all american honors. Considering the distance between Robertson and VA in the Payton award voting, this is a bit shocking to me, but who am I to know what all those people think.

Big-gay-heap was the AFCA 1st team All-American QB a couple of seasons ago even though he finished 9th in the Payton Voting. Like several others have said, different voters run each set of awards.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2014, 07:14 PM
AP is not really voted on, unless they have changed the way they do things in recent years. In the past, it was basically one AP sports editor picking the team. A lot of the teams have not been sterling in their picks over the years.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2014, 07:20 PM
I haven't heard 1 bad word about VA, so I don't know where any of that is coming from. Only bad thing I have to say about him is maybe next time don't get injured :D

Do I think it's BS that Robertson wasn't a consensus All American? Yes. Am I that upset over him getting 'robbed'? No. I believe he was 1st team in every other list, and more importantly he brought home the hardware. Onto bigger and better things, like a NC run and putting some breathing room between us and every other school's Payton tally when he wins again next year.
Consensus honors are garbage anyway, because of what teams are officially considered consensus, such as the poorly done AFCA team for example. For me, the teams that matter are the ones who have people with a long track record around FCS, College Sports Journal, The Sports Network, in its previous heyday, College Sporting News/I-AA.org. Those are organizations who follow FCS 24-7.