PDA

View Full Version : Zenner and Tull 3x AFCA All-America

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Third Time’s A Charm: South Dakota State running back Zach Zenner and Chattanooga defensive lineman Davis Tull join Linebackers Gary Reasons of Northwestern State (La.) (1981-83) and Dexter Coakley of Appalachian State (1994-96) as the only three-time AFCA All-Americans in Football Championship Subdivision.

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2578

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Really impressive for both guys.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Congrats to both those players and all the other AA's listed!

lionsrking2
December 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Third Time’s A Charm: South Dakota State running back Zach Zenner and Chattanooga defensive lineman Davis Tull join Linebackers Gary Reasons of Northwestern State (La.) (1981-83) and Dexter Coakley of Appalachian State (1994-96) as the only three-time AFCA All-Americans in Football Championship Subdivision.

Had the privilege of watching Zenner play twice in person against the Lions. He'll go down as one of my all-time favorite opponents to watch. When I think of what college football is supposed to be about, I think of Zach Zenner!

KUlawJack
December 15th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Congratulations to all selected. It's great to see ZZ get these accolades for a great career.

On another note, I believe Coprich should have been the other RB. No disrespect meant to Gus Johnson, but Coprich earned it.

lionsrking2
December 15th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Congratulations to all selected. It's great to see ZZ get these accolades for a great career.

On another note, I believe Coprich should have been the other RB. No disrespect meant to Gus Johnson, but Coprich earned it.

Gus Johnson earned it too. He's a great back on an otherwise very average offense.

Milktruck74
December 15th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Don't know Zenner or Reasons, but I played with Dexter and against him. He and Davis Tull have alot in common...Both are/were said to be too small for their position in the NFL and too big to move back, and both are darn good football players that found a way to make plays and both of them are SOLID QUALITY MEN. I will add the only good thing about playing AGAINST Dexter Coakley (as an O-Lineman), was only having to see him once a year!!!! It SUCKED to go against him everyday in practice. I had an occasion to talk to Jerry Jones once when Dexter played for him and he said, "No other player we have drafted has shown up for camp as well prepared, physically and mentally to play this game as Dexter Coakley."

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Don't know Zenner or Reasons, but I played with Dexter and against him. He and Davis Tull have alot in common...Both are/were said to be too small for their position in the NFL and too big to move back, and both are darn good football players that found a way to make plays and both of them are SOLID QUALITY MEN. I will add the only good thing about playing AGAINST Dexter Coakley (as an O-Lineman), was only having to see him once a year!!!! It SUCKED to go against him everyday in practice. I had an occasion to talk to Jerry Jones once when Dexter played for him and he said, "No other player we have drafted has shown up for camp as well prepared, physically and mentally to play this game as Dexter Coakley."

We could only hope that Davis has the post-college career that Dexter had.

underdawg
December 15th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Zenner will not be caught when he has a step into an opponent's second level---period. I think he runs a bout a 4.5 forty but has what is called football speed and would be one of the fastest backs in America if they timed them in full gear

Twentysix
December 16th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Zenner will not be caught when he has a step into an opponent's second level---period. I think he runs a bout a 4.5 forty but has what is called football speed and would be one of the fastest backs in America if they timed them in full gear

Yeah, he can fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wLYsnxoCvdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOgP__4I3d8&feature=player_detailpage#t=10

chattownmocs
December 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Tull was majorly disrespected in the Buchanan voting again.

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Most of the voters base their selection on numbers and not the kids actual play, because there are so many players on the list that are not readily available to watch on TV every week...Tull's numbers were very impressive, but the story they do not tell is how impactful he was on the other side of the ball...most teams tried (tried) to double team him, freeing up Lott....so he was actually responsible for most of those numbers too...I'm not saying other DLs on the list weren't in the same boat, but Tull's intangibles are hard for a voter to realize...I don't think it was disrespect as much as it was their ignorance of his play....Unfortunately, this is always going to be an issue on the FCS level....it is getting better with streaming most games and internet chat.

344Johnson
December 16th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Tull was majorly disrespected in the Buchanan voting again.

Meh. Post season awards are a crap shoot. 9 times out of 10 they feel inclined to give it to a good player on a great team.

Look at the Heisman every year. Has the most outstanding player really been a qb like 9 of the last 10 years? No.

Emanuel had some big numbers this year in a big conference. Was going to be tough for anyone else to get the award in front of him.

Maybe chatty will get his revenge and Tull will become an all-world NFL player.

chattownmocs
December 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Meh. Post season awards are a crap shoot. 9 times out of 10 they feel inclined to give it to a good player on a great team.

Look at the Heisman every year. Has the most outstanding player really been a qb like 9 of the last 10 years? No.

Emanuel had some big numbers this year in a big conference. Was going to be tough for anyone else to get the award in front of him.

Maybe chatty will get his revenge and Tull will become an all-world NFL player.

I have no argument with the winner. Tull should have been higher than 12th.

Cocky
December 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM
PJ Hall wasn't included so this isn't a real AA team.

dwtime
December 17th, 2014, 02:06 PM

Coakley was a little beast (was he really 5-10?), and was the big reason if not the only reason we lost to App St. in the playoffs back in 1994. xbawlingx

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Dexter wasn't very big 5'10" may be with his shoes on....but Force=mass X ACCELERATION...and he had a motor. HE brought it every play. Many talk about the vision that a RB has to see a hole develop...he had a vision too, the ability to see a play develop and be in the right spot to make a play.