PDA

View Full Version : UNH's McDonnell is coach of year;

kdinva
December 15th, 2014, 11:03 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=786153

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Congrats to Coach Mac! One of the premier coaches in FCS.

UNH as a whole should thank their lucky stars he hasnt been plucked for another job somewhere else.

dewey
December 15th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Congratulations to coach McDonnell! Making the playoffs in 11 straight seasons and being ranked for 154 weeks in a row is very impressive.

Dewey

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Congrats to Coach McDonnell!

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Congrats to coach McDonnell. Congrats to UNH.

Terry2889
December 15th, 2014, 11:26 AM
This guy has won two Eddie Robinson awards and has had his team ranked since September of 2004. All while only having one FCS transfer (I believe Robby Bowman from Syracuse) and playing in maybe the worst facilities in the nation... OK, THE WORST! If it ever happens, his departure would be the death knell of UNH football. Unless of course we could lure Ryan Day back from BC....

Terry2889
December 15th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Oh and the same reasons behind why McDonnell has won multiple times are the very same reasons why K.C. Stealer will never win one. You can't claim to be a great coach by relying on players who were coached for four year under somebody else to provide you with success. And please don't think this is a shot at SHU, just Keeler.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Oh and the same reasons behind why McDonnell has won multiple times are the very same reasons why K.C. Stealer will never win one. You can't claim to be a great coach by relying on players who were coached for four year under somebody else to provide you with success. And please don't think this is a shot at SHU, just Keeler.

Why take shots at anyone???xconfusedx

R3TRO
December 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Bowman was a HS recruit. The only transfer that I can remember was Kyle Auffray from Miss St. Even then, iirc, he was not pursued as a transfer. He came to UNH without any guarantee of making the team.

NHwildEcat
December 15th, 2014, 01:26 PM
This guy has won two Eddie Robinson awards and has had his team ranked since September of 2004. All while only having one FCS transfer (I believe Robby Bowman from Syracuse) and playing in maybe the worst facilities in the nation... OK, THE WORST! If it ever happens, his departure would be the death knell of UNH football. Unless of course we could lure Ryan Day back from BC....

I am confident that Ryan Day will be the future HC at UNH.

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Kyle Auffray was recruited as a punter, too. The last transfer I actually remember is Kyle Maroney from Army.

---Very deserving for Coach Mac. What an outstanding coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he got an offer this year he couldn't refuse, especially if he wins the championship this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2014, 01:43 PM

Exactly. It does not help promote McDonnell. You don't want **** to stick on ya don't play in it...this is exactly the dumb crap that always brings these threads to a much less desirable place for no reason at all. You want to start a fight in a thread honoring your own coach...seriously?

Daytripper
December 15th, 2014, 01:46 PM

xnodx

KPSUL
December 15th, 2014, 02:00 PM
A couple of thoughts on Coach Mac. I don't think he is going anywhere. He loves his current gig, and he's pushing 60 yrs old; not the time to take on the huge challenge of a Sun Belt or Conference USA sort of challenge. A year or two ago he turned down UMass which would have been a least double his current salary.
As far as BCS transfers, I respect the fact that he's built his teams from the ground up, but next year he's got huge holes to fill in the offense. I'm going to post the details on this in the thread on playoff teams losing starters but with the change in FBS to FCS transfers, I hope he keeps an open mind on the issue.

Terry2889
December 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM
No shot at Sam Houston. I've been familiar with Keeler's approach to winning since his days at Rowan and also know two people (who will remain nameless) who have coached with him. He simply poaches talent from the FCS and relies on transfers to supply him with success. It works in the short run, but five years into it Sam Houston will realize that their cupboard is completely bare due to the fact that recruits will avoid the program for fear of being replaced their senior year by some guy who washed out of Nebraska. He was not a well respected guy in CAA circles.

Gordon Shumway
December 15th, 2014, 05:16 PM
No shot at Sam Houston. I've been familiar with Keeler's approach to winning since his days at Rowan and also know two people (who will remain nameless) who have coached with him. He simply poaches talent from the FCS and relies on transfers to supply him with success. It works in the short run, but five years into it Sam Houston will realize that their cupboard is completely bare due to the fact that recruits will avoid the program for fear of being replaced their senior year by some guy who washed out of Nebraska. He was not a well respected guy in CAA circles.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Diggin_a_hole_zps84c20a45.gif

Bison56
December 15th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Congrats to McDonnell he has a heck of a program.

Gordon Shumway
December 15th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Congrats to Coach Mac. With the facilities and resources available to him, I've always said he should be nominated for sainthood. With the artificial ceiling placed on this program, it is a miracle he is still here. But I guess roots are roots.

CatsWinCatsWinCatsWin
December 15th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Congratulations Coach McDonnell.

ngineer
December 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM
McDonnell certainly deserves it. An amazing run...really Coach of the Decade when you consider the conditions he has to operate with and remain in the elite of FCS.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 16th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Very true ngineer! I've traveled to many a FCS locale and it's shocking when I see the facilities compared to Cowell. Even when we played at McDaniel at SIU, which was built around the same time as Cowell, there really wasn't much comparison!! To the players credit, they embrace it and The Dungeon came to be.

He's a good man and great motivator! I know I'd go into battle with him!!!