View Full Version : Missouri State hire Dave Steckel (Mizzou defensive coordinator/associate head coach)

da_bears
December 13th, 2014, 04:20 PM
hiring a SEC D-coordinator that is currently making 600k is a big time hire.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2014/12/13/signs-point-mizzou-assistant-msu-head-coach/20360979/

MSUDuo
December 13th, 2014, 05:31 PM
So a SEC DC will be different than Big 12 OCs, how?

We've been down this road before. It didn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill
December 13th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Wow...I'm a big fan of Stec since his Lehigh days. Good job by Missouri State!

FargoBison
December 13th, 2014, 05:58 PM
So a SEC DC will be different than Big 12 OCs, how?

We've been down this road before. It didn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like a home run hire to me.

Twentysix
December 13th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Seems like a coach that expects to be earning FBS HC money soon.

ngineer
December 13th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Wow...I'm a big fan of Stec since his Lehigh days. Good job by Missouri State!

It's been awhile...I am trying to recall when he was on our staff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2014, 08:04 PM
It's been awhile...I am trying to recall when he was on our staff.

He was there with Small. I think he left when Higgins took over...

Dakotaguy74
December 14th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Any relation to Les Steckel?

catamount man
December 14th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Good hire Mizzou State! GO CATS!

centennial
December 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Just makes MVFC more competitive. Both YSU and MSU should be solid in the coming years. We really don't have any programs that accept losing.

MSUDuo
December 14th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Good hire Mizzou State! GO CATS!
Mizzou State? Get that **** out of here

Bill
December 14th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Any relation to Les Steckel?

Yes, Dave is Les' brother...

saxbison
December 14th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Yes, Dave is Les' brother...

Great hire for MSU. I hope I'm not right, but to me this shows that MSU wants to replace UAB in C-USA.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Great hire for MSU. I hope I'm not right, but to me this shows that MSU wants to replace UAB in C-USA.

Plausible. Replace MSU with UND in the MVFC, that way we have 2 free wins every year.

centennial
December 14th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Plausible. Replace MSU with UND in the MVFC, that way we have 2 free wins every year.
UND is not joining the MVFC. What teams go to a harder league when they are barely average in their own? Summit is also on average a better league.

da_bears
December 14th, 2014, 09:39 PM
MSU just went from having the lowest paid coach in the MVC, to 2nd behind only UNI....

Mark Farley - Northern Iowa, $300,000
Dave Steckel - Missouri State $270,000
Brock Spack - Illinois State, $268,000
Chris Klieman - North Dakota State, $261,000
Dale Lennon - Southern Illinois, $221,000
Eric Wolford - Youngstown State, $215,000
Bob Nielson - Western Illinois, $207,000
John Stiegelmeier - South Dakota State, $190,000
Mike Sanford - Indiana State, $180,000
Joe Glenn - South Dakota, $131,000

Bisonoline
December 14th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I hope they support this coach better than they did the last one.

MSUDuo
December 14th, 2014, 10:04 PM
I hope they support this coach better than they did the last one.

The last one got plenty of support. He didn't so $#!+ to deserve more

centennial
December 14th, 2014, 10:10 PM
MSU just went from having the lowest paid coach in the MVC, to 2nd behind only UNI....

Mark Farley - Northern Iowa, $300,000
Dave Steckel - Missouri State $270,000
Brock Spack - Illinois State, $268,000
Chris Klieman - North Dakota State, $261,000
Dale Lennon - Southern Illinois, $221,000
Eric Wolford - Youngstown State, $215,000
Bob Nielson - Western Illinois, $207,000
John Stiegelmeier - South Dakota State, $190,000
Mike Sanford - Indiana State, $180,000
Joe Glenn - South Dakota, $131,000
NDSU has a lot of performance clauses. In addition to that the coach earns % of the gate + endorsements if I remember correctly. With a NC we are probably talking about 375-400k'ish with our new coach.

clenz
December 14th, 2014, 10:11 PM
The last one got plenty of support. He didn't so $#!+ to deserve morePretty tough to recruit, get players to buy in, etc... when your school openly makes you a lame duck wit 4 years left on your contract you'd think....no?

FargoBison
December 14th, 2014, 10:20 PM
NDSU has a lot of performance clauses. In addition to that the coach earns % of the gate + endorsements if I remember correctly. With a NC we are probably talking about 375-400k'ish with our new coach.

Coach K doesn't get any of the gate, but his salary with the media, camps and a few other incentives is north of $325k.

MSUDuo
December 14th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Pretty tough to recruit, get players to buy in, etc... when your school openly makes you a lame duck wit 4 years left on your contract you'd think....no?

English?

Reportedly, his best recruiting class was his last. Go figure, huh?

Getting the players/talent was never the problem as evident with All-Americans and a handful of NFL players during his tenure.

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I don't think the MVFC would need to replace them. Wouldn't affect scheduling.

edit: isn't there a standing invitation to the Sun belt for all of FCS except Liberty?

clenz
December 14th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Coach K doesn't get any of the gate, but his salary with the media, camps and a few other incentives is north of $325k.
Farley might push 400 by the time it's all added.

His FY 14 salary was 343. i don't know what extras he gets but i know free car and other things are on top of it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

citdog
December 15th, 2014, 02:21 AM
The last one got plenty of support. He didn't so $#!+ to deserve more

Didn't you just attempt to clown clenz for his typos?????

UNI Pike
December 15th, 2014, 08:18 PM

His FY 14 salary was 343. i don't know what extras he gets but i know free car and other things are on top of it

Farley gets a slice of the guarantee for a second FBS game during the season. I believe it is 10%.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Bearvision
December 19th, 2014, 11:38 PM

Stec has plenty of incentives in his deal as well. He gets a car, a food allowance per year $4800 I believe, country club memberships to the two nicest country club's in town, a membership to the Tower Club, media money for a tv/radio program and then bonuses for playoffs, attendance numbers, APR adherence, COY etc. etc.

That's all pretty standard stuff. The commitment MSU is making in football is pretty startling compared to year's past. The other big change is to the salaries of the assistants. Verduzco is making $100,000, which is pretty darned close to what we were paying the HC previously.

I hope this doesn't come off as some sort of pissing match with NDSU over how they compensate their coach, because I'm sure it's a lot, but it's more to show the commitment MSU is making to football that they never made five years ago. With the facilities upgrades, salary improvements and changes to gameday atmosphere (moving tailgating on campus), this is an exciting time to be a Bear, and I believe you will start to see some payoff in the coming seasons.

Getting Stec was an absolute HR hire. He was the only DC to be a finalist for the Broyles Award (top FBS assistant), which is a really big deal. He has consistently been excellent in his area of coaching (LB's and DC). To get a guy with his resume considering his previous compensation and our previous success says a lot about his commitment and desire to run his own program.

centennial
December 20th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Stec has plenty of incentives in his deal as well. He gets a car, a food allowance per year $4800 I believe, country club memberships to the two nicest country club's in town, a membership to the Tower Club, media money for a tv/radio program and then bonuses for playoffs, attendance numbers, APR adherence, COY etc. etc.

That's all pretty standard stuff. The commitment MSU is making in football is pretty startling compared to year's past. The other big change is to the salaries of the assistants. Verduzco is making $100,000, which is pretty darned close to what we were paying the HC previously.

I hope this doesn't come off as some sort of pissing match with NDSU over how they compensate their coach, because I'm sure it's a lot, but it's more to show the commitment MSU is making to football that they never made five years ago. With the facilities upgrades, salary improvements and changes to gameday atmosphere (moving tailgating on campus), this is an exciting time to be a Bear, and I believe you will start to see some payoff in the coming seasons.

Getting Stec was an absolute HR hire. He was the only DC to be a finalist for the Broyles Award (top FBS assistant), which is a really big deal. He has consistently been excellent in his area of coaching (LB's and DC). To get a guy with his resume considering his previous compensation and our previous success says a lot about his commitment and desire to run his own program.
Good post. I believe MSU will get better however getting to the top will be hard. We have all collectively upped our games and it's a good thing.

clenz
December 20th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Good post. I believe MSU will get better however getting to the top will be hard. We have all collectively upped our games and it's a good thing.
I'm not sold on Verduzco as an OC. He was asst oc at uni...we saw how that played out.

Interestingly enough, uni has a spot for TA now

skinny_uncle
December 20th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Mizzou State? Get that **** out of here

Should we tell him the correct term is Misery State?

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Should we tell him the correct term is Misery State?

He will figure that out in good time.:D