PDA

View Full Version : Hats of to Coastal Carolina

AmsterBison
December 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM
You guys humiliated our defense.

Lots of people across the country were rooting for you too as evidenced by your school trending on twitter.

Congratulations on the fine season.

Mattymc727
December 13th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Great game Coastal. I doubted them, but that was a hell of a statement to put points like that up in the Dome.

Drblankstare
December 13th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Absolutly, tip my cap. I can't remember the last I saw an offensive line that good for an opposing team.

No_Skill
December 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
31 was slippery and cut on a dime.

SpreadtheRed
December 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Great game! Thought CC was going to beat the Bison for a few minutes there!

Bisonwinagn
December 13th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I think that was the best offense NDSU has faced in five years.

longtimemocfan
December 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Good game Coastal. So far the seeded teams in this round have deserved to be there. Looks like more parity in the tournament this year.

Mattymc727
December 13th, 2014, 02:50 PM
This years Bison team could be had. Last year they were untouchable, this year feels like when Rocky cuts the Russian in Rocky 4.

IBleedYellow
December 13th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Are you my Dad? He said the exact same words.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

49RFootballNow
December 13th, 2014, 03:06 PM
That was an entertaining game to watch.

BisonBohl
December 13th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Congrats to Coastal played an awesome game, really was a toss up on who was going to win, thats not easy to do at the dome. Ross and Henderson were absolutely tremendous!

BisonBabe
December 13th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I met quite a few fans prior to the game. What a nice group. As I wandered around saying hello and passing out goodies it seemed we were all on the same page with wanting a good game and we sure got one. Awesome season best of luck next year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Hats off to the CC offense. They played a very good game.

Twentysix
December 13th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Great job Chants. We should really get a home and home setup.

344Johnson
December 13th, 2014, 06:31 PM

I think part of the problem is the defense isn't as good anymore.

I think Georgia Southern had a better offense but it's a matter of preference probably.

frozennorth
December 13th, 2014, 06:34 PM

Bull****. Gsu? K state? Sdsu last week?

Ccu showed they earned a seed, and came well prepared. Top 10? Yeah I'm fine with that.

Bison56
December 13th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Any word on the CCU player that was injured? Hope he is alright.

Southern Bison
December 13th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Today showed why I had them (CCU)as #2 in my poll submission for weeks.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Tremendous job by Coastal's offense, especially Alex Ross and Hop Henderson. Both were slippery as hell for the Bison defense to tackle and made some Bison defenders look foolish on several occasions. This team deserved that top 5 ranking they'll end the year with. If they can just improve their defense they could be a powerhouse.

Also, CCU's special teams thoroughly outplayed NDSU's today. That's a mark of a well-coached complete team. They definitely gave the Bison plenty to work on.

knucklehead
December 13th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Excellent job by CCU. Big South on the rise.

taper
December 13th, 2014, 10:24 PM

He was on crutches walking around the field right after the game. That was a very strange event, anybody hear what happened?

rokamortis
December 13th, 2014, 10:37 PM
He was on crutches walking around the field right after the game. That was a very strange event, anybody hear what happened?

Said he was having back problems. I believe spasms when he would stand.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
tip of the cap to all the classy Bison fans that came on here, even though Coastal was successful in moving the ball I could still see a very aggressive and good North Dakota D, it's just that Coastal has very talented skill position and the OL played well, Coastal > than Sammy

stevdock
December 14th, 2014, 11:15 AM
tip of the cap to all the classy Bison fans that came on here, even though Coastal was successful in moving the ball I could still see a very aggressive and good North Dakota D, it's just that Coastal has very talented skill position and the OL played well, Coastal > than Sammy

I hope you're right because I have been so physically and emotionally exhausted the last two games that we could all use a little bit of a break ;)

rokamortis
December 14th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I hope you're right because I have been so physically and emotionally exhausted the last two games that we could all use a little bit of a break ;)

Y'all just go out there and finish strong - I can take losing to the national champs, again.

blueballs
December 14th, 2014, 11:58 AM
IMO NDSU's defense is not at the level of the past 3 years, which makes them more vulnerable than at any point during their run. However, I think their offense is more dynamic than ever. The QB is impressive.

There's more than one way to win. NDSU has two massive intangibles in their favorite in addition to being really good: They have one of the best home field advantages in all of sports, and they know how to win.

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Congrats on a great game and great season CCU! xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
December 14th, 2014, 09:54 PM

Who was he?????

CasualFan
December 14th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Who was he?????
Bruce Mapp, sophomore WR from CCU.

NDBISONGUY
December 15th, 2014, 04:44 AM
I gotta throw in the fact CC LB Quinn Backus is probably the coolest dude I've ever seen the Bison play against. An amazing back story, much like our own John Crockett. He was so well spoken during the press conferences. It didn't surprise me when CC's coach broke up emotionally when he referred to him after the game. Those guys have a lot to be proud of.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2014, 06:24 AM
IMO NDSU's defense is not at the level of the past 3 years, which makes them more vulnerable than at any point during their run. However, I think their offense is more dynamic than ever. The QB is impressive.

There's more than one way to win. NDSU has two massive intangibles in their favorite in addition to being really good: They have one of the best home field advantages in all of sports, and they know how to win.

You probably will get on argument from Bison fans on that one. We are so use to the defense pounding teams that we have gotten spoiled with them. But it was nice to see the offense step up and take control of CC's defense. Rushing for over 300 yards helped also.

Having our fastest LB would have been a benefit in this game. He doesn't come out in nickel situations and can cover just about any WR but injuries are part of the game.

SHSU will be a challenge.

THE HERD
December 15th, 2014, 06:31 AM

I looked up the defensive stats and this years D is basically putting up the the same stats as the 2011 championship team. Also a tip of the cap to CC, especially their offensive line.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I looked up the defensive stats and this years D is basically putting up the the same stats as the 2011 championship team. Also a tip of the cap to CC, especially their offensive line.

Going by per game average this year's defense is significantly better than 2011 but that team hit another gear defensively when playoff time rolled around. They gave up fewer points (27) in all four playoff games combined than this team just gave up to CCU.

I don't think there's any doubt that without Travis Beck this team has been vulnerable to the run. The pass defense is still performing quite well despite the corners getting kind of used 1 on 1 against CCU several times. I think this defense is due to bust out. They're just too damn talented and experienced throughout to not be able to figure it out without Beck.

THE HERD
December 15th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Going by per game average this year's defense is significantly better than 2011 but that team hit another gear defensively when playoff time rolled around. They gave up fewer points (27) in all four playoff games combined than this team just gave up to CCU.

I don't think there's any doubt that without Travis Beck this team has been vulnerable to the run. The pass defense is still performing quite well despite the corners getting kind of used 1 on 1 against CCU several times. I think this defense is due to bust out. They're just too damn talented and experienced throughout to not be able to figure it out without Beck.

Beck was way more important to this D than most would believe, especially going against spread offenses. The guy was so versatile and he is just a blood and guts leave it all on the field type of dude. His type of player is what makes up the glue of every good team in my opinion. Now are we a terrible D without him....absolutely not, but it put a chink in our armour(spelling?) The biggest difference in this years D as compared to last years is the lack of quality depth at the Dtackle position. Last year we rotated four of them and they were all high quality, absolutely no drop off no matter who was in there. This year we rotate about 3 and the only high quality guys are the two starters Tanquay and Schaetz. I believe those two are getting a little wore down and beat up, which is resulting in us bieng a little softer up the middle than we were say at the beginning of the season. Now don't get me wrong those two guys are studs, but we are what 14 or 15 games in to the season now and I think its starting to take a toll to an extent. All us Bison fans should be super thankful that neither of these two has gone down with an injury, because if they do we would see the other teams yards per rush go way up! Next year we will be sitting good at DT with the Blake kid out of MI and Morgan getting another year under is his belt.

Daytripper
December 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM

You can only play who is in front of you. Sammy is still playing. Scoreboard.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Beck was way more important to this D than most would believe, especially going against spread offenses. The guy was so versatile and he is just a blood and guts leave it all on the field type of dude. His type of player is what makes up the glue of every good team in my opinion. Now are we a terrible D without him....absolutely not, but it put a chink in our armour(spelling?) The biggest difference in this years D as compared to last years is the lack of quality depth at the Dtackle position. Last year we rotated four of them and they were all high quality, absolutely no drop off no matter who was in there. This year we rotate about 3 and the only high quality guys are the two starters Tanquay and Schaetz. I believe those two are getting a little wore down and beat up, which is resulting in us bieng a little softer up the middle than we were say at the beginning of the season. Now don't get me wrong those two guys are studs, but we are what 14 or 15 games in to the season now and I think its starting to take a toll to an extent. All us Bison fans should be super thankful that neither of these two has gone down with an injury, because if they do we would see the other teams yards per rush go way up! Next year we will be sitting good at DT with the Blake kid out of MI and Morgan getting another year under is his belt.
Agreed on Beck's value and the DT depth. You could tell Schaetz was running on fumes by the end of that CCU game.

bodoyle
December 15th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Bruce Mapp had back spasms.

blueballs
December 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM

I don't doubt you for a second because I haven't watched the Bison that much this year.... my opinion is based purely on the eyeball test, what it looked like.

IMO you are more vulnerable but it is going to take the right matchup to make that vulnerability turn into a loss, and IMO you are more dynamic offensively so IMO you will be able to simply outscore people now. Sometimes it is funny how things work out. During their run from 05-07 App evolved from a stout defensive squad that was ground and pound to a dynamic multi faceted offense force that could- and did- outscore folks. I wonder if that isn't happening to y'all to an extent. You can win either way. Y'all's intangibles are off the charts so it might not matter.

THE HERD
December 15th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Agreed on Beck's value and the DT depth. You could tell Schaetz was running on fumes by the end of that CCU game.

That CCU game was really the first game in four years where our D as a whole appeared gassed. I agree though Schaetz was running on pure heart the whole fourth qaurter!

Bisonator
December 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Great post.

Travis Beck's speed is tough to replace. He could fly sideline to sideline and match up one on one with most WR without help. Our other LB's just can't do that so the safeties have to respect the pass a little more and not be as quick to get up on run support.

Thunderstruck
December 15th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I am truly impressed with Coastal Carolina and the way its program is building. You guys came to the dome and gave the defending national champs your best shot. I have no doubt we will see CCU ranked in top 4 next year and at least in the semi-finals. Moglia has to be getting looks from other schools looking for coaches. If he stays Coastal will be very good next season. Your LB #40 and S #6 were very good. Your WR's will be beasts next year and should put up tremendous numbers. Hopefully NDSU vs CCU rematch will be in Frisco.

bodoyle
December 17th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Moglia just said that Ross played the game with a separated right shoulder. Having surgery tomorrow. Explains his bad throws.