PDA

View Full Version : This might be an Ohio Valley at-large year

rokamortis
November 14th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I didn't see this posted, my apologies if it is. This is a great article talking about how the selection committee works, mainly from the perspective of the OVC but it also goes into the chances of some of the bubble teams.

This might be an Ohio Valley at-large year

By BRIAN NIELSEN, Sports Editor
[email protected]

Let Eastern Illinois football coaches and players worry about the preparation for speedy running back/kick returner Clay Green and his Jacksonville teammates.

We can spend the week pondering questions about an NCAA Division I-AA at-large playoff berth in the case that the Panthers beat Jacksonville State to finish 8-4 but do not win the Ohio Valley Conference’s automatic berth because Tennessee-Martin beats Murray State while Tennessee State loses to Eastern Kentucky.

The questions to ask in case EIU does not win the OVC’s automatic berth include:

After the eight automatic conference champions are decided, what are the chances of the Ohio Valley landing one of the eight at-large playoff berths for the first time since the Tony-Romo led EIU Panthers got one?

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2006/11/14/sports/sports002.txt

DinoDex200
November 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I didn't see this posted, my apologies if it is. This is a great article talking about how the selection committee works, mainly from the perspective of the OVC but it also goes into the chances of some of the bubble teams.

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2006/11/14/sports/sports002.txt

You know, I was wondering about this...they have 8 wins, but 4 losses...when was the last time a I-AA had that issue of 12 games?

Still, the OVC's best chance is for TSU or EIU to win the 3-way tiebreaker, and UTM get the at-large bid. If UTM wins this weekend, they're in...

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM
You know, I was wondering about this...they have 8 wins, but 4 losses...when was the last time a I-AA had that issue of 12 games?

Still, the OVC's best chance is for TSU or EIU to win the 3-way tiebreaker, and UTM get the at-large bid. If UTM wins this weekend, they're in...

Maybe 2002... alot of teams played 12 games that year due to calendar issues.

And yes.. with this weak field... two OVCs in if they both win :nod:

UAalum72
November 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Are we talking about the same Ohio Valley Conference that hasn't won a playoff game in NINE YEARS (1996)? And you'll give them a second try? Gonna pair one of them against a MEAC team so at least one of these auto-bid conferences gets a playoff win this century?

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Are we talking about the same Ohio Valley Conference that hasn't won a playoff game in TEN YEARS (1996)? And you'll give them a second try? Gonna pair one of them against a MEAC team so at least one of these auto-bid conferences gets a playoff win this century?

Hey now, the MEAC has some success in the I-AA playoffs, more than that of the OVC as of late. I wouldn't count them out as a victor over any school, OVC, SLC, Big Sky or otherwise...

UAalum72
November 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hey now, the MEAC has some success in the I-AA playoffs, more than that of the OVC as of late.
'of late' being 1999 for the MEAC, not in this century.

UMass922
November 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
UT-M should already be in, win or lose, and I think EIU gets in with a win. Remember, EIU has two I-A losses, so their record is effectively 8-2, not 8-4.

HIU 93
November 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
And Albany has done...what?

DinoDex200
November 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe 2002... alot of teams played 12 games that year due to calendar issues.

And yes.. with this weak field... two OVCs in if they both win :nod:

Well, it depends...there will apparently be a coin flip between the 3 schools if all win this weekend. If UTM wins it, they are the sole rep. If someone else does, then they and UTM get in.

Of course, UTM has to beat their arch-rival first...

UAalum72
November 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM
And Albany has done...what?
beaten a probable auto-bid conference champion this year (Lehigh) while the same conferences keep their autobids apparently forever no matter how many times they lose, and then some people think they deserve a second bid besides.

Chucktown
November 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well, it depends...there will apparently be a coin flip between the 3 schools if all win this weekend. If UTM wins it, they are the sole rep. If someone else does, then they and UTM get in.

THERE IS NO COIN FLIP
if all teams win this weekend, and 3 finish with 1 loss. EIU is in.
If TSU loses, martin wins, eiu wins, MARTIN is in
If TSU wins, and EIU wins, and Martin loses EIU is in
TSU wins, eiu loses, martin loses, TSU is in
If all lose, Jax state could be in- 4 teams will have 2 losses.

If we are playing the odds, EIU wins, Martin wins, EKU knocks off TSU... IF that happens, Martin get auto and EIU hopes for at large

hawkeye
November 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM

I think regardless IF UTM wins at Murray, they would be in. What are some of the "at large" teams?

aceinthehole
November 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM
beaten a probable auto-bid conference champion this year (Lehigh) while the same conferences keep their autobids apparently forever no matter how many times they lose.

If Lehigh goes on to win the PL AQ spot in the playoffs, that will be 2 season in a row an NEC team beat the PL champ!

BobbyMo
November 14th, 2006, 10:54 PM
If Lehigh goes on to win the PL AQ spot in the playoffs, that will be 2 season in a row an NEC team beat the PL champ !

GD RIGHT... what does the NEC have to do??? :bang: :bang:

HIU 93
November 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
beaten a probable auto-bid conference champion this year (Lehigh)

Oh, so you have ONE good win and you deserve an autobid over a conference whose membership includes a I-AA National Champion? Pass that siht to the left, dude. xlolx

UAalum72
November 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Oh, so you have ONE good win and you deserve an autobid over a conference whose membership includes a I-AA National Champion? Pass that siht to the left, dude. xlolx
We had those wins the last TWO years. Who's the MEAC beaten in that time?

I don't count for current autobids I-AA champions who played with leather helmets.

In the last six years, even without an autobid, the NEC has as many playoff wins as the MEAC and the OVC combined.

And this thread isn't about getting an autobid OVER somebody, it's about winless-in-this-century conferences getting a SECOND BID

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Why is it that EIU gets the auto if all three win?

In head-to-head competition:

UTM 1-0 (beat EIU)
EIU 1-1 (beat TSU)
TSU 0-1

Is it because EIU was the only one to play both of the other two?

Chucktown
November 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
it goes to common opponents...
So in order of place (assuming EIU beats Jax this week)
Jax State- all have beaten Jax State
then EKU- Martin lost to EKU, they are out--
EIU and TSU beat EKU- and EIU beat TSU head to head-
EIU gets bid if all 3 win this week

siugrad99
November 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Another Albany fan running her mouth... ignore it.

UAalum72
November 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Another Albany fan running her mouth... ignore it.
Facts are tough to ignore.

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM

So how does a 3-way coin flip work, anyhow? I would like the details.
:confused:

Mr. Tiger
November 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Hey now, the MEAC has some success in the I-AA playoffs, more than that of the OVC as of late. I wouldn't count them out as a victor over any school, OVC, SLC, Big Sky or otherwise...

:eek: :o Wait a second, I agree with TT. xlolx