PDA

View Full Version : Mercer Downgrades Future Schedule ;-)

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Yep...dropping Reinhardt and adding Auburn...

http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/20141210ffp60k

M Ruler
December 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Auburn by 70

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Auburn by 70

Let's do the math...Auburn beat Samford this year 31-7 and Samford beat Mercer by 3...so, this year Auburn would have beaten Mercer 34-7. Since this was Mercer's 1st year of scholarship football and they played with mostly FR & SO's, they should be about 5 times better by 2017 as they were this year. 7 x 5 = 35. Yep...that's it then....

Mercer 35 - Auburn 34

It's science.

OL FU
December 11th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I like the Tech Game (not that I don't like the Ahbum game:D). Like in state games.

PaladinFan
December 11th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I saw Auburn play Furman a few years ago. With those upper level SEC teams, they can beat any FCS team by as much as they want to.

I am a die hard FCS fan. Love this level of football. A motivated upper echelon SEC team is no match. FCS teams can hang around a bit if they don't take you seriously, and the FCS opponent is usually better than they are expecting, but when that switch flips into "get serious mode" (usually half time) it's lights out.

Either way, good scheduling by Mercer. Getting a leg into Alabama is going to be big for their longevity as a program.

ElCid
December 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I saw Auburn play Furman a few years ago. With those upper level SEC teams, they can beat any FCS team by as much as they want to.

I am a die hard FCS fan. Love this level of football. A motivated upper echelon SEC team is no match. FCS teams can hang around a bit if they don't take you seriously, and the FCS opponent is usually better than they are expecting, but when that switch flips into "get serious mode" (usually half time) it's lights out.

Either way, good scheduling by Mercer. Getting a leg into Alabama is going to be big for their longevity as a program.

Yeah I know what you mean. Same goes for very good ACC teams or really any top tier FBS program. We played Fla St in 05 and went into half down 13-10. Fairly respectable. Then they woke up, 62-10 final. But I think it is also a matter of the FCS teams starting to think about the upset and they begin to make mistakes or start playing it safe when they should be going full throttle. They will usually still lose, but once they start falling apart or wearing down, you are right, it is lights out. I remember listening to that game on the internet early on a Sunday morning (I was in Guam) and freaking out myself at halftime. I can only imagine what our youngsters were thinking.

TheRevSFA
December 12th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Auburn by 144

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Auburn by 144

You must show your work for full credit

PaladinFan
December 12th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. Same goes for very good ACC teams or really any top tier FBS program. We played Fla St in 05 and went into half down 13-10. Fairly respectable. Then they woke up, 62-10 final. But I think it is also a matter of the FCS teams starting to think about the upset and they begin to make mistakes or start playing it safe when they should be going full throttle. They will usually still lose, but once they start falling apart or wearing down, you are right, it is lights out. I remember listening to that game on the internet early on a Sunday morning (I was in Guam) and freaking out myself at halftime. I can only imagine what our youngsters were thinking.

Furman was down 4 points to LSU last year in Baton Rouge at the half. After half time the Tigers scored four more touchdowns and Furman didn't score again.

I have all the respect in the world for the FCS level, and the David and Goliath games against the country's top teams. Still, there are not a lot of Odell Beckham's floating around in the SoCon. That guy could do what he wanted at any time he wanted to do it against any team in the FCS.

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Furman was down 4 points to LSU last year in Baton Rouge at the half. After half time the Tigers scored four more touchdowns and Furman didn't score again.

I have all the respect in the world for the FCS level, and the David and Goliath games against the country's top teams. Still, there are not a lot of Odell Beckham's floating around in the SoCon. That guy could do what he wanted at any time he wanted to do it against any team in the FCS.

Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens were FCS WR's....maybe those guys aren't quite as accomplished as Odell Beckham, but they were certainly serviceable players at the next level.

TheRevSFA
December 12th, 2014, 10:40 AM
You must show your work for full credit

2+3=chair

PaladinFan
December 12th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens were FCS WR's....maybe those guys aren't quite as accomplished as Odell Beckham, but they were certainly serviceable players at the next level.

That's a little bit of an apples and oranges comparison. I didn't suggest that FCS players cannot go on to be accomplished NFL players. There are plenty that have.

I don't think any of that has anything to do with whether Odell Beckham (an elite player on an elite program surrounded by other elite players) would go bonkers on an FCS defense. There are not many FCS defensive backs that could stop him. You might disagree.

Owens was a good, not great college player. You could argue his best season at UTC was comparable to what Furman's Jordan Snellings did just this year for a 3 win team. Rice was on another level in another era.