PDA

View Full Version : How is NDSU not higher than #4???

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
NDSU is the #3 ranked GPI Team, ranked the #2 team in I-AA by Jeff Sagarin's supercomputer, tied for the lead in the GPI rated #1 football conference, undefeated in I-AA with one loss to a I-A team by 1 point, 1-1 against I-A this year, four times as many 1st place votes as the #2 rated team in the Sports Network Poll and yet we are #4!!! I cannot see how NDSU is not at least the #3 team if not the #2 team in the country. If NDSU beats SDSU this Saturday will that get us any higher in the polls, or is the establishment going to keep its favored universities at the top?

November 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
... #2 team in I-AA by Jeff Sagarin...NDSU is higher than No. 4. They are No. 3 in the GPI. They don't have a better resume than the three teams ranked ahead of them in the polls but is No. 4 so bad?

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 13th, 2006, 11:51 PM
... but is No. 4 so bad?

Like Ricky Bobby would say: "If you ain't first, you're last"!

umassfan
November 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM
NDSU isnt 1st because.... well you arent the top team in I-AA. :twocents:

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I said at least #2 or #3. It is hard to knock a defending champ off its perch when they are undefeated in I-AA.

Appstate29
November 14th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I think NDSUs ranking is very reasonable considering its schedule. Besides your absolute domination of a good Cal Poly team, your schedule is only so-so, I think its pretty ridiculous for you to be complaining about your ranking at this point.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Settle down a bit, we are a top 4 team and even if we aren't ahead of Montana, Umass or App St it doesn't mean anyone is disrespecting NDSU or saying that those teams are way better then NDSU. All those schools have great teams....

App St is 10-1 with it's only loss being I-A NC State
UMASS is 9-1 with it's only loss being I-A Navy
Montana is 9-1 with it's only loss being to I-A Iowa

In my mind it's pretty much App St at #1 since they are the defending champs while Montana, NDSU and UMASS are all virtually tied at 2 since a strong case could be made for any of them to be ranked behind App St.

youwouldno
November 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Another whiny Bison fan? Geez.

grizband
November 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Settle down a bit, we are a top 4 team and even if we aren't ahead of Montana, Umass or App St it doesn't mean anyone is disrespecting NDSU or saying that those teams are way better then NDSU. All those schools have great teams....

In my mind it's pretty much App St at #1 since they are the defending champs while Montana, NDSU and UMASS are all virtually tied at 2 since a strong case could be made for any of them to be ranked behind App St.
YOu make a good point FargoBison. I kept NDSU #4 in my poll, despite their big win, because non of the other three teams have lost in a long time. NDSU is a great team, and could easily be interchanged, along with UMASS and Montana, in the #2-#4 spots. Its truly a shame they aren't eligible for the playoffs this season, and hopefully their success will continue when we reach 2008.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 14th, 2006, 12:15 AM

I like the idea of tied for 2nd.

And you are right, it is hard to argue against those top 3, I am just trying to reconcile the GPI and Sagarin with the polls. Seems like "science" :smiley_wi should be worth something.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 14th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I don't mean to appear to whine, just a little hyped about the Bison and the great season they are having.

grizband
November 14th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I don't mean to appear to whine, just a little hyped about the Bison and the great season they are having.
It is a great season you are having. :thumbsup:

November 14th, 2006, 12:25 AM
And you are right, it is hard to argue against those top 3, I am just trying to reconcile the GPI and Sagarin with the polls. Seems like "science" :smiley_wi should be worth something.ONCEa, Sagarin and the polls are in the GPI and the GPI shows how close it is... there's about a point and a half between 1/2/3/4.
1. Massachusetts (1.78)
2. Appalachian St (2.44)
3. N Dakota St (2.78)
4. Montana (3.44)

bombDiggiD
November 14th, 2006, 01:17 AM
The season will play itself out, and NDSU will be amongst the best reguardless.

It's just unfortunate they won't have the oppurtunity to compete with the best teams in the playoffs.

It's just the way it is.

WYOBISONMAN
November 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I just like grizband's avatar........

LacesOut
November 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Dude shorten yer screen name for jeepers sake! It's stretching the hell outta my screen!!!!!!!!! lol

Too bad NDSU isn't in the playoffs this year. They may just be the best team in the land.

andy7171
November 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Are you for real? Complaining about being ranked #4 and not #3? What's the difference? You'll make the playoffs. Then you can prove your point.

I too love Grizbands avatar!

89Hen
November 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM
I am just trying to reconcile the GPI and Sagarin with the polls. Seems like "science" :smiley_wi should be worth something.
How much did Ralph pay you to say that?

lizrdgizrd
November 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I'm glad NDSU isn't in the playoffs this season. Makes it that much easier for us to repeat!
Congrats on a great season.:thumbsup:

spelunker64
November 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Good article in today's Forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=146254&section=sports

andy7171
November 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I'm glad NDSU isn't in the playoffs this season. Makes it that much easier for us to repeat!
Congrats on a great season.:thumbsup:
Rack it up to East Coast Bias, but why wouldn't NDSU be playoff eligible?

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Transition period

lizrdgizrd
November 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM

They're ineligible because they're transitioning to DI.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I'm ok with any top 5 ranking. There are a lot of great teams in 1AA and i wish we could prove ourselfs even more and go up against them.

bison95
November 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I'm ok with any top 5 ranking. There are a lot of great teams in 1AA and i wish we could prove ourselfs even more and go up against them.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
And at the end of the playoffs anyone who votes NDSU #1 is a water head retardxidiotx xidiotx xidiotx :eek: :eek:

This is playoff football, champions are crowned on the field. Any Bison fan who thinks we deserve any ranking, or to be let into the playoffs is insane. This is where we are at, and where we wanted to be. Just think, if you wanted to be in the playoffs now, we could have stayed in D2:nonono2: . Then we would have missed last nights hoops game in Minnesota, last years win at the Kohl Center, the almost in the metrodome. Enjoy it Bison fans, we are getting to witness the growth of an athletic program. I know we were great for 20 plus years in D2, but we are leaps and bounds beyond that now. Instead of playing Georgia Southern, Minnesota, Ball State, Cal Poly, UC Davis this year, we could have all met up and partied at Augistana:eek: I am proud to be a Bison fan, and I am excited about the future of bison athletics.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM

ANYHOW...

Once the playoffs are down and the NC is crowned... I am betting the Bison will move up to #2 or 3... at least two of the top three teams in front of ND St. will lose.. and mabye all three... if so, then NDSU is locked at #2.

MplsBison
November 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
They don't have a better resume than the three teams ranked ahead of them in the polls

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/146254

Appalachian, whose only loss came against Division I-A North Carolina State 23-10, needed two overtimes to defeat Georgia Southern 27-20. NDSU, whose only loss was to I-A Minnesota 10-9, won at Georgia Southern 34-14.

Montana, whose only loss was to I-A Iowa 41-7, survived a 10-9 win over Cal Poly – the team NDSU whipped 51-14 last week.

Massachusetts, whose only loss was to I-A Navy 21-20, defeated Northeastern 7-0. NDSU beat Northeastern 23-10.

2 words:

bull

well, you know what the other word is.

A big, heaping, steamy pile of it.

And you damn well know it.

Rabbitlivinginverm
November 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM
My mighty Jackrabbits will take care of NDSU this weekend and really give them something to cry about. Then, we won't have to listen to these select NDSU fans whining...

and,

I really, really like grizband's avatar!

bison95
November 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM
xlolx
My mighty Jackrabbits will take care of NDSU this weekend and really give them something to cry about. Then, we won't have to listen to these select NDSU fans whining...

and,

xlolx xlolx xlolx Thanks I really needed a laugh todayxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Black Saturday
November 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM

2 words:

bull

I don't think anyone has dissed The Bison

Since you are using the transitive argument:

ASU beat Wofford 14-7 and Wofford lost to South Carolina 21-27 and South Carolina had a last second field goal blocked to lose to Florida in the Swamp this past weekend. Also, Wofford other losses were to Furman and Coastal Carolina two probable playoff teams.

ASU needed 2 overtimes to beat Georgia Southern while having 4 turnovers. And I will argue the conference familiarity played a role in the game being close. And I will say that NDSU beat GSU badly because they did not have 4 turnovers and NDSU is not a hated conference rival.

ASU lost to NC STATE who in turn beat BC and FSU.

Transitive comparisons as these can be made throughout sports, trouble is they seldom hold water.

Don't worry about being only #4 or whatever, NDSU joined the I-AA where championships are played out on the field and not in the polls.
NDSU will get their chances in 2008.

MR. CHICKEN
November 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM
HOW IS NDSU NOT HIGHER THAN #4:

AUBURN SYNDROME....BISON CHIP...............IN DUH AGS PRE-SEASON POLL...........#1APPALACHIAN STATE...#4MONTANA...#12NORFF DAKOTA STATE...#14UMA$$..............NOW YA'LL COULD GET SOME ARGUMENT....'BOUT UMA$$....'DOUGH DEY ONLY LOST TA NAVY BY 1...WHIFF ONE O' TWO TD'S CALLED BACK (CHICKENS DON'T HAVE TOTAL RECALL).......BISONS....LOST TA MINNY-HA-HA...BY 1...(NO SMALL FEAT)......UMASS MIGHTAH PASSED YA'LL DAT WEEK...AH DON'T KNOW.........DUH "CHIPS"...BEAT NORFF-EASTERN 23-10....IN DUH DOME.......UMA$$ BEAT NORFF-EASTERN 7-0......IN UH NOR'EASTER...@ NOR'EASTER.....GRANTED YA'LL HAD 2 D-I'S ...AN' YER SKED LOOKS AS TOUGH AS ANY AHEAD O' YA'S........BUT AH'M GOIN' WHIFF "AUBURN SYNDROME" AS THE REASON WHY.............DON VOLTZ...WHO ALONG WHIFF KEVIN REILLY (FORMER EAGLE LB)...&...DUH LEDGEND......HAROLD "TUBBY" RAYMOND....CONDUCT UH SPORTS TALK SHOW (WDEL 1150 am) EVEREAH MONDAY EVENIN'....DURIN' DUH SEASON...WHIFF SPECIAL GUEST........I-AA's OWN....OTTO FAD........HAVE BEEN SINGIN' DUH NORFF-DAKOTA PRAISES EVERAH WEEK..........NO DOUBT......DUH "CHIPS"......ARE GREAT.....BUT TOP 4......IS......TOP SHELF.............DON'T FRET FARGO LAD.....ALL O' I-AA IS AWARE O' DUH "GREEN & GOLD"...................xsmoochx......BRAWK!

ps......DIDN'T MEAN TA COMPARE SCORES......HOWEVERAH..SPELUNKER64's "ATTACHED LINK"...THOUGHT IT WAS NECESSARY!

MplsBison
November 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Since you are using the transitive argument:...

The more games you go back, the lower the reliability of the comparison is.

The comparisons I posted only compare 1 game back.

Those are legitimate.

NC Aggie
November 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Are you for real? Complaining about being ranked #4 and not #3? What's the difference? You'll make the playoffs. Then you can prove your point.

I too love Grizbands avatar!

Can't.....last year of transition from D2. Seems a shame.

Appguy
November 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Those are legitimate.

Transitive arguments are never legitimate..... theyre a joke
theres always different factors
If we lost the game...you may have a point...but we won despite having 4 turnovers which shows we can pull close wins out

NC Aggie
November 14th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Top 4 certainly in football.

Ranking in grammer a bit lower.

X-Factor
November 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM

and,

by the time the 2nd quarter rolls around I think the Jacks will be singing a different tune.

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
On both sides of the ball I just don't see the Jack's being able to play 4 quarters with NDSU. They have not face a team as good as NDSU yet this year.

AZGrizFan
November 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM

2 words:

bull

And Boise State beat Oregon State who beat Southern Cal who'll be playing in the BCS title game. does that mean Boise State should be in the BCS title game? xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

WTF difference does it make what you're ranked this year?

YOU CAN'T GO TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!! Sucks, I know, but the truth hurts some times. You, MplsBison, are doing your levelheaded best to make ALL Bison fans (and there are MANY on this board) look bad. You all might want to buy this boy a muzzle. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Husky Alum
November 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM
You can't compare the NU-NDSU game with the UMass-NU game.

One was played in climate control in September in Fargo.

One was played in a freaking monsoon in Boston in October.

However, I think UMass and NDSU would be a GREAT matchup - and if asked to choose who would probably win - I think it would be the Bison, in a close on. UMass has a great defense, but I thought NDSU was a more well rounded team than the Minutemen.

Retro
November 14th, 2006, 12:44 PM

And you are right, it is hard to argue against those top 3, I am just trying to reconcile the GPI and Sagarin with the polls. Seems like "science" :smiley_wi should be worth something.

How about shortening your user name so it doesn't mess up the screen?

:read:

DaGriz
November 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM

That was funny on many levels.

Tod
November 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
On both sides of the ball I just don't see the Jack's being able to play 4 quarters with NDSU. They have not face a team as good as NDSU yet this year.

In your opinion. :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

Nodak
November 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM

This is a engineering school, we build sh!!t not spell it xlolx

No_Skill
November 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Why do Bison fans care so much about where the team is ranked?

I think it's simple. We are looking for some sort of validation. We are fans of a playoff caliber team (who would likely earn a seed) and we won't get to cheer on our team in the playoffs. After this Saturday against SDSU...that's it. It's over. What would you do? : smh :

THE RANKINGS ARE ALL WE HAVE. If we feel we are slighted in any way, we are going to vent about it. It's all that will keep us sane. :bang: :eek: xidiotx

Please, do not judge us. None of you have been in this situation, so none of you can tell us how to deal with it.

Just give us a week or two and we'll be fine. Well...most of us. :thumbsup:

shakdaddy3
November 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I think it's simple. We are looking for some sort of validation. We are fans of a playoff caliber team (who would likely earn a seed) and we won't get to cheer on our team in the playoffs. After this Saturday against SDSU...that's it. It's over. What would you do? : smh :

THE RANKINGS ARE ALL WE HAVE. If we feel we are slighted in any way, we are going to vent about it. It's all that will keep us sane. :bang: :eek: xidiotx

Please, do not judge us. None of you have been in this situation, so none of you can tell us how to deal with it.

you guys can cry on the shoulders of USD fans and hug it out... xlolx

maybe IAA provisional teams should not be ranked at all, then you wouldn't have to complain about something not too important like rankings...

MountaineerDrive
November 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM

I am so glad we aren't in your position, and I truly feel for all the Bison fans that wish they could prove themselves in the playoffs. I think it is an idiotic rule keeping you out, if you're I-AA, you're I-AA, and if you're good enough for the playoffs, you're good enough for the playoffs... But, I won't listen to any fans at the end of the year, whether ASU wins it or someone else, saying that NDSU is worthy of also being considered national champs. I'm only talking to one or two Bison fans, the rest of you are awesome, and I apologize for any App fans that seem to be talking down to you. I think, given the chance, you guys would be serious contenders to win it all in the playoffs this year, it's a shame you can't show it.: smh :

No_Skill
November 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I am so glad we aren't in your position, and I truly feel for all the Bison fans that wish they could prove themselves in the playoffs. I think it is an idiotic rule keeping you out, if you're I-AA, you're I-AA, and if you're good enough for the playoffs, you're good enough for the playoffs... But, I won't listen to any fans at the end of the year, whether ASU wins it or someone else, saying that NDSU is worthy of also being considered national champs. I'm only talking to one or two Bison fans, the rest of you are awesome, and I apologize for any App fans that seem to be talking down to you. I think, given the chance, you guys would be serious contenders to win it all in the playoffs this year, it's a shame you can't show it.: smh :

No doubt about it. It is a strange situation we are in. :confused:

BTW the only championship we will be able to claim this year is the GWFC Championship. 3 days 22hrs and counting. :hurray:

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
In your opinion. :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:
That's exactly right, my opinion. Can't help it if you guys struggled with Poly and we cleaned up the dome with them. If that makes you feel bad well that's just to bad I guess.

sdgriz24
November 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
That's exactly right, my opinion. Can't help it if you guys struggled with Poly and we cleaned up the dome with them. If that makes you feel bad well that's just to bad I guess.

If you want to go by that then you have to beat SDSU by 31 or more like we did or else we'll be better than you,by your logic.:smiley_wi

JackJD
November 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Are you sure you intended to question his grammar? How about spelling?:eyebrow:

Tod
November 14th, 2006, 11:52 PM

That you would simply dismiss Montana in such a way is asinine. Yup, your opinion, and in America you're entitled to it. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Tod
November 14th, 2006, 11:53 PM
If you want to go by that then you have to beat SDSU by 31 or more like we did or else we'll be better than you,by your logic.:smiley_wi

Yup! If NDSU does not beat SDSU by at least 30, that proves Montana is the better team. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GO JACKS!!!!!

TheBisonator
November 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Yup! If NDSU does not beat SDSU by at least 30, that proves Montana is the better team. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GO JACKS!!!!!

I don't care who's a better team, I just want that conference championship. I don't want to see the Marker and the Title go to SDSU.

CopperCat
November 15th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I think that NDSU's ranking at this point doesn't mean much. What does mean something is how they've won this year. I think if you want to talk about one of the most solid teams in I-AA, NDSU is going to be in the convo. Don't worry about rankings until you're playoff eligible. You have the attention of alot of people. Finish this probationary period, and then come back with that same fire in your belly. I certainly believe in NDSU.

CaBisonFan
November 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM
NDSU is the #3 ranked GPI Team, ranked the #2 team in I-AA by Jeff Sagarin's supercomputer, tied for the lead in the GPI rated #1 football conference, undefeated in I-AA with one loss to a I-A team by 1 point, 1-1 against I-A this year, four times as many 1st place votes as the #2 rated team in the Sports Network Poll and yet we are #4!!! I cannot see how NDSU is not at least the #3 team if not the #2 team in the country. If NDSU beats SDSU this Saturday will that get us any higher in the polls, or is the establishment going to keep its favored universities at the top?

We're not there because we can't go head-to-head with some of the teams that have similar records. We're the challenger, and we have to knock people out in the playoffs before we get the nod. I don't think that the pollsters will put us higher this year. If we should play a great game and beat SDSU badly....we might bump up....again, depending on other game results. I share your frustration and understand it. We're an underdog in a 5-year pergatory right now. Damn frustrating isn't it?