View Full Version : Samford to hire Murray State's Chris Hatcher

Sandlapper Spike
December 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Per FootballScoop:

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Interesting.

citdog
December 10th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Hatcher failed miserably at pig's ass. That situation was not ideal for him as the eagles still wanted tto run the option and he's a 'chuck the pigskin guy'.

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Well he it was nice having the Hatch Attack. Hopefully, Murray State will hire a guy that can put together a defense that can get some stops consistently.

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I don't think the SoCon teams have too much to worry about when it comes to scoring on Sammy over the next few years....they may not be able to keep up with them, but they won't have to worry about putting the points up.

longtimemocfan
December 10th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I'm just wondering how much of the staff of Sullivan's he'll keep ? It's not like they were doing poorly.

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I'm just wondering how much of the staff of Sullivan's he'll keep ? It's not like they were doing poorly.

I think much of that will depend on how much input Pat had on his hire and if Pat is going to hang around the program for a little while. Coach Sullivan strikes me as a guy that would try and take care of his guys if he can. I can hear that conversation,.... "I need you to hang on to......"

SU DOG
December 10th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I hope he does keep Bill D as our DC. If so, the defense will be fine. As for the hire itself, I'll admit that I am really shocked. xconfusedx

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2014, 08:43 PM
SU Dog, is Pat sticking around? Will he have anything to do with the program, or is he fully retired and out?

SU DOG
December 10th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Milktruck, he is supposed to take on a position as Advisor to the President. Most of us, however, think he will spend very little time on campus. Coach's health is a huge concern. The Search Committee consisted of Coach Sullivan, Chris Evans(former RB who came to Samford from UAB), and Pat's good friend Gene Cooney, major benefactor for the Cooney-Sullivan Family Fieldhouse. This looked as though Coach would in effect, be naming his successor, so I would have to assume that he likes the choice of Hatcher. You are also right that Coach Sullivan is BIG on taking care of his own.

Milktruck74
December 11th, 2014, 06:13 AM
I thought he would be heavily involved in the choice...that bodes well for the staff. Maybe one or two "pals" that make the move with him, but I'll bet it is alot of the same guys next year. I wish Pat well, he is one of the Good Guys in Coaching. Always liked him, except when he played the Mocs (of Course).

Eagle22
December 11th, 2014, 07:23 AM

I won't be surprised to see much of the staff leave, outside of the OL coach. Bostick has been with Hatcher since they played together and with him being from Forsyth, GA I'm sure he's also chomping at the bit to get a little closer to home. He's a solid OL coach.

None of the other folks Hatcher had at Georgia Southern are with him anymore. He cut Ashley Anders loose a few years ago, and Chris' cousin Keith, who was our DB coach, left Murray last year to return to Macon as head coach at Mt.DeSales HS.

Hatcher was at a point with staff transitions and his record at Murray State, that he was going to have to change jobs at some point. I know several that are very close to him and they have always maintained he likes being the head coach, which explains why he hasn't jumped ship before for some very good FBS offensive assistant roles.

Seems like the situation at Samford was perhaps custom made, and they could probably have very minimal staff turnover as a result.

longtimemocfan
December 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I won't be surprised to see much of the staff leave, outside of the OL coach. Bostick has been with Hatcher since they played together and with him being from Forsyth, GA I'm sure he's also chomping at the bit to get a little closer to home. He's a solid OL coach.

None of the other folks Hatcher had at Georgia Southern are with him anymore. He cut Ashley Anders loose a few years ago, and Chris' cousin Keith, who was our DB coach, left Murray last year to return to Macon as head coach at Mt.DeSales HS.

Hatcher was at a point with staff transitions and his record at Murray State, that he was going to have to change jobs at some point. I know several that are very close to him and they have always maintained he likes being the head coach, which explains why he hasn't jumped ship before for some very good FBS offensive assistant roles.

Seems like the situation at Samford was perhaps custom made, and they could probably have very minimal staff turnover as a result.

Good post. Good to see you guy's transitioning well. It just sucks by rule you can't go to a bowl game.