PDA

View Full Version : Bo Pelini - Next Head Coach at YSU!!

ValleyTalk
December 9th, 2014, 09:18 PM
@WeAreYoungstown: BREAKING NEWS: Per @FootballScoop, Bo Pelini is the next head coach of Youngstown State University!

@FootballScoop: Sources tell FootballScoop that Bo Pelini plans to accept the head coaching position at Youngstown State http://t.co/gkayvPt9KK

@FootballScoop: At YSU we understand the formal offer is pending; but sources tell us he intends to accept. Announcement likely Thursday

FormerPokeCenter
December 9th, 2014, 09:19 PM
is he bringing his cat?

Drblankstare
December 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM
is he bringing his cat?
Damn you to hell. Beat me to it:D

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.juanelway.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Bo-Pelini-500x700.png

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I think that's a pretty good get for YSU. They may have out kicked their coverage on this one. I didn't think Nebraska was smart for dumping him.

Cleets
December 9th, 2014, 09:21 PM
xeyebrowx Wha....?

xlmaoxHilarious

- - - Updated - - -

xeyebrowx Wha....?

xlmaoxHilarious

- - - Updated - - -

xeyebrowx Wha....?

xlmaoxHilarious

RabidRabbit
December 9th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Well dang!! If true, Pellini's familiar with SDSU at least. That'd help YSU with one of the MVFC teams at least.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I think that's a pretty good get for YSU. They may have out kicked their coverage on this one. I didn't think Nebraska was smart for dumping him.

This....

underdawg
December 9th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Congrats to YSU! Now are you guys going to Join the MAC East?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM
If true, this is a GREAT get for Youngstown State! He's not Mr. Personality but his recruiting ties and experience will pay huge dividends. He wouldn't go there if he didn't feel that Tressel and the YSU community were committed to making the football program elite again.

dewey
December 9th, 2014, 09:30 PM
If true that is a great hire for Youngstown State.

Dewey

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Good hire by Pens.

He was a bad match for Huskers.

Both will be in a better place.

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2014, 09:34 PM
This actually disappoints me because it's a big step for YSU. I hope they got a big buyout clause.

we (ISUb) finally make some progress and now someone else goes and does this...xbawlingx

clenz
December 9th, 2014, 09:35 PM
2 years

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I assume he didn't have a getting fired press conference because he was cashing his Happy Gilmore check and answering his cell phone

mmiller_34
December 9th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Holy ****.

DoubleE
December 9th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Nebraska has to cover the difference of his pay at YSU and $3.5 million a year the next 2 years.....

Bisonator
December 9th, 2014, 09:55 PM
He struggled beating FCS teams with NU and hes going to do better at YSU? Not to mention piss all over the fan base or what's left of it. Should be interesting.....xlolx

Hammerhead
December 9th, 2014, 09:56 PM
YSU goes from one douchebag coach to another.

DoubleE
December 9th, 2014, 09:58 PM

No, Wolford is a douchebag. Pelini is a Dick

Big Difference

Winindy
December 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM
2 years

That's what I was thinking. Could be an interesting couple years though.

344Johnson
December 9th, 2014, 10:03 PM

Bad news for the Valley. Big steal. YSU will be elite if he stays more than a couple years.

underdawg
December 9th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Good news for the Valley--makes it potentially stronger than it was

melloware13
December 9th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Well, he seemed to rack up a couple of 9-4 seasons and that wasn't good enough for the Cornholers. 9-4 at YSU would get him a playoff win every 11 game season.

jmrepak
December 9th, 2014, 10:26 PM
This has the potential to be a great hire for YSU. I do think it will be a big change for him to go from the deep pockets of Nebraska with basically limitless options for coordinators and assistants to the more limited budgets of fcs. For that reason alone I don't see it as guaranteed success but it is a great hire. I also think it could unlock a potential matchup between YSU and CCU since Moglia got back in to coaching through an unpaid assistantship with Pelini.

centennial
December 9th, 2014, 11:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2525718212/sp1pxvdu68mvsdkol78i_normal.jpegThayer Evans ✔ @ThayerEvansSI (https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI)
Follow (https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI)
Just spoke w/ Bo Pelini. Denied reports of being offered or accepting Youngstown State job. "It's all a complete fabrication of the truth."

NDSUtk
December 9th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Well, he seemed to rack up a couple of 9-4 seasons and that wasn't good enough for the Cornholers. 9-4 at YSU would get him a playoff win every 11 game season.
9-4 in an 11 game season? Huh?

JSUBison
December 9th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I just heard Joe Glenn is out, and Brady Hoke to South Dakota.

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2014, 11:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2525718212/sp1pxvdu68mvsdkol78i_normal.jpegThayer Evans ✔ @ThayerEvansSI (https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI)
Follow (https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI)
Just spoke w/ Bo Pelin AT HIS NEW OFFICE ON THE CAMPUS OF YOUNGSTOWN STATE UNIVERSITY. Denied reports of being offered or accepting Youngstown State job. "It's all a complete fabrication of the truth."

​fify

NDSUBowler
December 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM
If true, great hire for YSU. I love Pelini. He definitely is a dick...not a douchebag...but he is a great coach and his players LOVE him. What a massive hire for YSU IF TRUE.

As an NDSU fan, I am less than pleased with this, if true.

Although, I will love being able to mock Pelini in games at the Fargodome!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Youngstown: Where History Doesn't Matter

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Bad news for the Valley. Big steal. YSU will be elite if he stays more than a couple years.

Not a chance with any of what you said!

Lehigh'98
December 10th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Not a chance with any of what you said!

If he stays, why not?

ysubigred
December 10th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Well dang!! If true, Pellini's familiar with SDSU at least. That'd help YSU with one of the MVFC teams at least.
Hell the last clown (HC) at YSU figured your team out on homo day xthumbsupx
:D

ysubigred
December 10th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Youngstown: Where History Doesn't Matter

Leha.. Where history is deep but always been irrelevant in football xrolleyesx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2014, 07:47 AM
If he stays, why not?

Why not?

For one, he is a jackass!

Second, he will get poached after a couple of years by a FBS school. If he even accepts the job, he doesn't need the $$ from what NEB will have to pay him. He'll just bide his time until an offer comes along from a bigger school.

More than likely YSU will take a step back with new systems coming in on offense and defense. Plus they have had late season collapses the last few years when they needed to win against the tougher teams in the conference.....that will not change next year.

Best of luck to YSU.

UNIFanSince1983
December 10th, 2014, 07:58 AM
9-4 in an 11 game season? Huh?

8-3 in regular season then 1-1 in playoffs.

NDSUtk
December 10th, 2014, 08:04 AM
8-3 in regular season then 1-1 in playoffs.
Aww my mistake. Didn't understand the reference, but now makes sense. I'll blame it on the Blue Moons last night.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 08:12 AM
If true, great hire for YSU. I love Pelini. He definitely is a dick...not a douchebag...but he is a great coach and his players LOVE him. What a massive hire for YSU IF TRUE.

As an NDSU fan, I am less than pleased with this, if true.

Although, I will love being able to mock Pelini in games at the Fargodome!

This might be a humbling experience. Who knows? Did it for Mangino.

Redbird Recon
December 10th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Good news for the Valley--makes it potentially stronger than it was
Not possible.
xthumbsupx

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I just heard Joe Glenn is out, and Brady Hoke to South Dakota.

xlolx

penguinpower
December 10th, 2014, 09:37 AM
This is a BS rumor by an unknown reporter. Why would someone post this? Wishful thinking. It is not even remotely believable. This kind of stuff causes loss of credibility. Bad. Bad Bad.

I am just close enough to the program to know that this is not what I am hearing but I'm not at liberty to tell what I am hearing. Yes he has been discussed. But this will probably not happen. I think football scoop got it wrong. Pipedream

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 09:39 AM
This is a BS rumor by an unknown reporter. Whe would someone post this? It is not even remotely believable. This kind of stuff causes loss of credibility. Bad. Bad Bad.
if it turns out to be false football scoop looses even more credibility.

They've had a lot of "issues" lately.

UNIFanSince1983
December 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
ESPN claims he is mulling it. There is no done deal according to them, but I don't know for sure.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12007533/former-nebraska-coach-bo-pelini-considering-head-coaching-job-youngstown-state

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2014, 12:11 PM
If Pelini wanted to really stick it to Nebraska, he should sign a two year deal with YSU for $1.....

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Even if it's done at YSU he's there for a year...maybe two.

There will be a B12 job open that he will take - likely Iowa State.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM

They should fire Rhoads now. What's his buyout?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
They should fire Rhoads now. What's his buyout?

Pelinni will never take on a dumpster fire like Iowa State. I think Mangino is desperate enough for that one.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Next available Big 12 job will be Texas Tech. Kingsbury in waaaay over his head.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Next available Big 12 job will be Texas Tech. Kingsbury in waaaay over his head.
Pelini will be a B12, MWC or AAC coach around the midwest very soon.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Pelini will be a B12, MWC or AAC coach around the midwest very soon.

This is why YSU makes no sense. There are plenty of jobs not necessarily a huge step down that he can take.

UNIFanSince1983
December 10th, 2014, 12:33 PM
This is why YSU makes no sense. There are plenty of jobs not necessarily a huge step down that he can take.

But if he makes more than 3.5mil Nebraska doesn't owe him crap. In fact the closer he gets to that the less they have to pay him. He is from Youngstown. I could see him going there for a year or two. I can see them taking him knowing it is just a year or two.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM
But if he makes more than 3.5mil Nebraska doesn't owe him crap. In fact the closer he gets to that the less they have to pay him. He is from Youngstown. I could see him going there for a year or two. I can see them taking him knowing it is just a year or two.
Would I be completely shocked to see him there? No. But it won't be for very long.

He can get paid dirt cheap anywhere to screw Nebraska over until 2019. Why not do it at a place that isn't.....Youngstown

PAllen
December 10th, 2014, 12:47 PM
if it turns out to be false football scoop looses even more credibility.

They've had a lot of "issues" lately.

Is that really possible?

DoubleE
December 10th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Would I be completely shocked to see him there? No. But it won't be for very long.

He can get paid dirt cheap anywhere to screw Nebraska over until 2019. Why not do it at a place that isn't.....Youngstown

Because its home

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Wisconsin just opened up.

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Because its home

Then there should have never been a denial from him...even for a second

penguinpower
December 10th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Hearing that Tressel has spoken with Pellini now. Now $ is being discussed. Still think it is a Longshot

clenz
December 10th, 2014, 09:56 PM
What money...he's making 3.5 from Nebraska. YSU shoul6offer him nothing as long as that Nebraska money is rolling in.

Also seems odd that tressell cant be involved with football but this would be acceptable

citdog
December 10th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I thought the cheater in the sweatervest wasn't even allowed in the football building.....

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Try could offer him a longer contract with a big buyout if they fire him with it all backloaded.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Now looking to be somewhat of a real possibility for Pelini to be the next HC. Concerns about Assistant coaches pay is being discussed. BTW. Pelini cannot take the Job for $1 or he would possibly void his Nebraska contract.

Daytripper
December 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Now looking to be somewhat of a real possibility for Pelini to be the next HC. Concerns about Assistant coaches pay is being discussed. BTW. Pelini cannot take the Job for $1 or he would possibly void his Nebraska contract.

Just pay him what the previous coach was making and nobody can complain.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I read this thread and it just seems like I can hear this song playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RHZ1ssCBA

Gil Dobie
December 11th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I read this thread and it just seems like I can hear this song playing in the background:

When I hear that song I think of....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtAlzo_pqys

Daytripper
December 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM
This song reminds me of the entire AGS community...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCxIPDErjT8

FormerPokeCenter
December 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I've always liked this version....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMauGc2oy7w

UNDOregon
December 11th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I have been following this and do not see how it is possible for him to accept the Youngstown State position. Contracts have written good faith clauses (or good faith will be implied if it is not written directly into the contract provisions). Nebraska owes him $7.9 million, which can be reduced if he finds substantially comparable employment (or even eliminated if he finds a position at a salary of at least $1.8 million). Because he made $3.1 million this year at Nebraska, I would say that accepting $200,000, $300,000, or whatever YSU can pay per year is not substantially comparable employment. It also seems to be bad faith to accept so soon after the firing because Pelini is an excellent coach and surely some FBS programs will be interested in hiring him. To show good faith, Pelini will need to show that he made numerous attempts at obtaining a FBS head coach position, before he resorted to looking at FCS coaching positions or even FBS OC or DC positions. The Nebraska legal team is waiting for Pelini to make a misstep so that Nebraska can nullify that $7.9 m. payout. I am not sure why Pelini is willing to risk that amount. Right now, he should be aggressively contacting all FBS schools with openings or possible openings. It may be that he is negotiating those issues with Nebraska so that he can coach YSU, but Nebraska would surely expect a huge reduction in that $7.9 million amount.

Without access to the Nebraska contract, it is difficult to tell what can happen, but some of those media reports say Pelini to Youngstown is a sure thing. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

FormerPokeCenter
December 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Good faith? After being fired after posting a string of 9-4 seasons?

Good Faith isn't a point that Nebraska wants to litigate....

344Johnson
December 11th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I have been following this and do not see how it is possible for him to accept the Youngstown State position. Contracts have written good faith clauses (or good faith will be implied if it is not written directly into the contract provisions). Nebraska owes him $7.9 million, which can be reduced if he finds substantially comparable employment (or even eliminated if he finds a position at a salary of at least $1.8 million). Because he made $3.1 million this year at Nebraska, I would say that accepting $200,000, $300,000, or whatever YSU can pay per year is not substantially comparable employment. It also seems to be bad faith to accept so soon after the firing because Pelini is an excellent coach and surely some FBS programs will be interested in hiring him. To show good faith, Pelini will need to show that he made numerous attempts at obtaining a FBS head coach position, before he resorted to looking at FCS coaching positions or even FBS OC or DC positions. The Nebraska legal team is waiting for Pelini to make a misstep so that Nebraska can nullify that $7.9 m. payout. I am not sure why Pelini is willing to risk that amount. Right now, he should be aggressively contacting all FBS schools with openings or possible openings. It may be that he is negotiating those issues with Nebraska so that he can coach YSU, but Nebraska would surely expect a huge reduction in that $7.9 million amount.

Without access to the Nebraska contract, it is difficult to tell what can happen, but some of those media reports say Pelini to Youngstown is a sure thing. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Taking a division 1 head coaching job should suffice.

Couldn't he argue that Nebraska kicking him to the curb has somewhat tarnished his name and he needs a job like Youngstown to fix it?

Honestly, if you fire a guy who kept winning 9 games you should be on the hook for paying him.

You seem to be a lawyer or someone much more in the know as to legal matters. Definitely gives us something to think about!

Daved
December 11th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Congrats to YSU! Now are you guys going to Join the MAC East?Hopefully not--we haven't really competed well in the MVFC but I still wouldn't want them to take a step down.

Daved
December 11th, 2014, 05:12 PM
This is why YSU makes no sense. There are plenty of jobs not necessarily a huge step down that he can take.Pelini and his wife both attended Mooney High in Youngstown and would probably want their kids to attend Mooney--since Nebraska would make up the difference in salary the possibility of YSU getting Pelini for a short time isn't really that far fetched.

WestCoastAggie
December 11th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Pelini and his wife both attended Mooney High in Youngstown and would probably want their kids to attend Mooney--since Nebraska would make up the difference in salary the possibility of YSU getting Pelini for a short time isn't really that far fetched.

How far is Youngstown, OH from Pittsburgh? I'm hearing the head guy for Pitt will be taking the Wisconsin Job and Bo is target #1 for the Pitt job if it becomes vacant.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM
How far is Youngstown, OH from Pittsburgh? I'm hearing the head guy for Pitt will be taking the Wisconsin Job and Bo is target #1 for the Pitt job if it becomes vacant.

Really close, pretty much same region. Makes WAY more sense to take the Pitt job.

penguinpower
December 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM

Hearing that too. Pelini is likely out.

DoubleE
December 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Youngstown to Pitt is a 90 minute drive and if Cryst takes the Wisconsin job this posibility scares me, the longer Pelini to YSU plays out (if its not done by early next week) i see him going to Pitt

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Haven't heard anything new on this. What's the deal?

DoubleE
December 11th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Haven't heard anything new on this. What's the deal?

Bo wants the job but they are working on assistant coach salaries at this point, YSU faculty also about to strike because they feel too much $ is going to athletics so its an interesting time

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody is saying Mark Magino to Pitt since he is also from the area.

mmiller_34
December 11th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Bo wants the job but they are working on assistant coach salaries at this point, YSU faculty also about to strike because they feel too much $ is going to athletics so its an interesting time

Interesting times.

UNDOregon
December 12th, 2014, 03:08 AM
www.vindy.com has stories in both Thursday and Friday editions on the YSU coach search.

In Thursday's paper, Dec. 11, the story says it was reported that Pelini was set to join the Penguins this week (reported by FootballScoop.com on Tuesday that Pelini would join as early as Thursday, Dec. 11), but a YSU source said, "at best that's a long shot. I don't expect that to happen."

In Friday's paper, Dec. 12, the article states that YSU prefers Pelini but, with Pelini getting interest from other FBS programs, YSU is continuing its search with an interview of an unnamed coach planned for Sunday. Story states Eastern Kentucky's Hood and Florida Atlantic's Wright are finalists. Division II and Division III coaches have also been interviewed.

LeopardBall10
December 12th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Only reason YSU was able to grab him was the $7 million buyout that Nebraska still owes him. Sure he is going home, but a guy who spent years in the B1G wouldn't take an FCS job without knowing the he will be juuuuuust fine. Having full pockets sure does open up your options when looking for work.

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 07:49 AM
AAAANNNDDD...

Pitt Coach Paul Cryst takes the Wisconsin job according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

So....

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Only reason YSU was able to grab him was the $7 million buyout that Nebraska still owes him. Sure he is going home, but a guy who spent years in the B1G wouldn't take an FCS job without knowing the he will be juuuuuust fine. Having full pockets sure does open up your options when looking for work.
I think that's where the potential legality issues come in, like the previous poster stated.

YSU doesn't seem like seeking comprable employment for a guy who's coaching resume looks like this

1994–1996
1997–1999
2000–2002
2005–2007
2008–2014
Iowa (GA)
Cardinal Mooney HS (OH) (QB)
San Francisco 49ers (DB)
New England Patriots (LB)
Green Bay Packers (LB)
Nebraska (DC)
Nebraska (interim HC)
Oklahoma (co-DC)
LSU (DC)
Nebraska

Sycamore62
December 12th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I think that's where the potential legality issues come in, like the previous poster stated.

YSU doesn't seem like seeking comprable employment for a guy who's coaching resume looks like this

1994–1996
1997–1999
2000–2002
2005–2007
2008–2014
Iowa (GA)
Cardinal Mooney HS (OH) (QB)
San Francisco 49ers (DB)
New England Patriots (LB)
Green Bay Packers (LB)
Nebraska (DC)
Nebraska (interim HC)
Oklahoma (co-DC)
LSU (DC)
Nebraska

ya, im a bit split on this. I think they would be a bit hard pressed to say "go find another FBS HC job". Yes he could get a coordinator job, probably, but I think a FCS HC job would probably be looked at as enough. On the other hand, I would think a guy who got an offer for a P5 HC job would take it.

So if he ends up at YSU that's probably the best job he could get. I dont know that they could argue he had to take a higher paying assistant job because he could say winning at the FCS level was how he planned to get a P5 HC job.

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 08:19 AM
ya, im a bit split on this. I think they would be a bit hard pressed to say "go find another FBS HC job". Yes he could get a coordinator job, probably, but I think a FCS HC job would probably be looked at as enough. On the other hand, I would think a guy who got an offer for a P5 HC job would take it.

So if he ends up at YSU that's probably the best job he could get. I dont know that they could argue he had to take a higher paying assistant job because he could say winning at the FCS level was how he planned to get a P5 HC job.
Well, he was contacted by Wisconsin, according to reports.
He is likely to be contacted by Pitt.

I would bet he would lose a battle saying that the only way he planned on getting a P5 HC job was to win at a MVFC school when he is being contacted for P5 jobs

Sycamore62
December 12th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Well, he was contacted by Wisconsin, according to reports.
He is likely to be contacted by Pitt.

I would bet he would lose a battle saying that the only way he planned on getting a P5 HC job was to win at a MVFC school when he is being contacted for P5 jobs

Yes but being contacted isnt necessarily a job offer.

edit: im just saying if he ends up at ysu that will probably be the best he could do. This year anyway.

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Yes but being contacted isnt necessarily a job offer.

edit: im just saying if he ends up at ysu that will probably be the best he could do. This year anyway.
I don't believe it's the best he can do.

If he is/was contacted by a conference rival, in the same division, about a head coaching position there is zero doubt in my mind he could be a HC/DC at a P5 next season

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised "FootballScoop.Com Dumpster Fire" isn't a thing yet.

wow
December 12th, 2014, 10:29 AM
It might be worth mentioning that Pelini has a bit of a reputation as a jerk. Does an FBS athletic director want to take that tiger by the tail? Bob Knight went to Texas Tech after Indiana despite a resume that should have gotten him better job offers. The fact that he was a jerk that nobody wanted in their athletic department played a role in that, IMO.

Pelini was fired from Nebraska. If you're an FBS AD, do you hire the guy who "wasn't good enough" at another school, or look for somebody you can sell as an up-and-comer? There is a reason fired head coaches often end up as coordinators in their next job. I'm an SDSU fan, and someday when Stig's career is over, I would not be real excited if we hired someone who was just fired from another FCS school. I think I would rather have a DII coach that set the world on fire. Would UNI fans be happy with hiring a coach that was just fired at NDSU?

I don't see Nebraska raising a stink if Pelini goes YSU. That sets a bad reputation/precedent anytime they try to hire another coach. It would definitely take some of the shine off their job offers if coaches think they are going to try to "weasel" out of their contract.

Just my $.02.

FormerPokeCenter
December 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Exactly....suing Pelini won't exactly engender confidence that Nebraska can be trusted to deal fairly.

But, beyond that, Nebraska's always struck me as a fairly no-nonsense sort of school. I doubt they'd take any action that would reflect negatively on them...

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM
It might be worth mentioning that Pelini has a bit of a reputation as a jerk. Does an FBS athletic director want to take that tiger by the tail? Bob Knight went to Texas Tech after Indiana despite a resume that should have gotten him better job offers. The fact that he was a jerk that nobody wanted in their athletic department played a role in that, IMO.

Pelini was fired from Nebraska. If you're an FBS AD, do you hire the guy who "wasn't good enough" at another school, or look for somebody you can sell as an up-and-comer? There is a reason fired head coaches often end up as coordinators in their next job. I'm an SDSU fan, and someday when Stig's career is over, I would not be real excited if we hired someone who was just fired from another FCS school. I think I would rather have a DII coach that set the world on fire. Would UNI fans be happy with hiring a coach that was just fired at NDSU?

I don't see Nebraska raising a stink if Pelini goes YSU. That sets a bad reputation/precedent anytime they try to hire another coach. It would definitely take some of the shine off their job offers if coaches think they are going to try to "weasel" out of their contract.

Just my $.02.
Lots of coaches are assholes.

Brady Hoke is far from an asshole...which would you rather have? As a Michigan fan, I can tell you which I'd rather have.

He is a winner. He wasn't fired because he wasn't good enough - he was fired because Nebraska is completely unrealistic.

His career record is something 98% of coaches would kill for...

Year
Team
Overall
Conference
Standing
Bowl/playoffs
Coaches#
AP°

Nebraska Cornhuskers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football) (Big 12 Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference)) (2003)

2003 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
1–0[n 1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini#cite_note-2003season-43)

W Alamo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Alamo_Bowl)

Nebraska Cornhuskers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football) (Big 12 Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference)) (2008–2010)

2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
9–4
5–3
T–1st (North)
W Gator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Gator_Bowl)

2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
10–4
6–2
1st (North)
W Holiday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Holiday_Bowl)

2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
10–4
6–2
T–1st (North)
L Holiday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Holiday_Bowl)

Nebraska Cornhuskers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football) (Big Ten Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference)) (2011–present)

2011 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
9–4
5–3
3rd (Legends)
L Capital One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Capital_One_Bowl)

2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
10–4
7–1
1st (Legends)
L Capital One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Capital_One_Bowl)

2013 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
9–4
5–3
T–2nd (Legends)
W Gator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Gator_Bowl)

2014 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team)
9–3[n 2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini#cite_note-2014season-44)
5–3
T–2nd (West)
Holiday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Holiday_Bowl)[n 2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini#cite_note-2014season-44)

Nebraska:
67–27
39–17

Total:
67–27

bkrownd
December 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Unrealistic? Finishing in the 20's with several embarrassing losses every year is unacceptable with those resources.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2014, 11:06 AM
All kidding and mirth aside, wouldn't it be much more in Nebraska's interest to have Pellini at Youngstown than Pitt? Despite their suckiness Pitt is still a P5 school, and YSU would be considered a totally different league/competition.

If I'm Pellini I'm thinking going to YSU would make it LESS likely for Nebraska to void his buyout than going to Pitt. Even better, though, in his situation to have both job offers in hand when approaching Nebraska.

Daytripper
December 12th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Unrealistic? Finishing in the 20's with several embarrassing losses every year is unacceptable with those resources.

You're living in the past, man! Nebraska is not what it used to be. It will never again be a perennial top 5 team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIk_yUkisPU

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Yes.

If a win % of 72, finishing in the top 25 every season with 4 division titles (never worse than third), 4 post New Year bowls, 3 10 win seasons, never winning less than 9 games isn't good enough then your program/fan base is completely unrealistic.

wow
December 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Lots of coaches are assholes.

Brady Hoke is far from an asshole...which would you rather have? As a Michigan fan, I can tell you which I'd rather have.

He is a winner. He wasn't fired because he wasn't good enough - he was fired because Nebraska is completely unrealistic.

His career record is something 98% of coaches would kill for...

I'm not saying Pelini is a bad coach, just that he could very easily be perceived as a bad hire by many FBS schools.

To play devil's advocate: as a Michigan fan, would you be happy if he was hired by the Wolverines? Why or why not?

UNIFanSince1983
December 12th, 2014, 11:23 AM

They fired a guy with a career record of 67-27(71.27%), and hired a guy with a career record of 93-80(53.75%).

Sounds like the right move to me...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying Pelini is a bad coach, just that he could very easily be perceived as a bad hire by many FBS schools.

To play devil's advocate: as a Michigan fan, would you be happy if he was hired by the Wolverines? Why or why not?

Most Michigan fans would be unhappy because they are a super delusional fan base similar to Nebraska.

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM
They fired a guy with a career record of 67-27(71.27%), and hired a guy with a career record of 93-80(53.75%).

Sounds like the right move to me...

- - - Updated - - -

Most Michigan fans would be unhappy because they are a super delusional fan base similar to Nebraska.
Not as unrealistic as Nebraska...or even close.

I would take him, as long as he brought a decent OC with him.

Sycamore62
December 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Not as unrealistic as Nebraska...or even close.

I would take him, as long as he brought a decent OC with him.

Leave out the "or even close" and its probably accurate

Bisonator
December 12th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Some programs expect more then just being "good" every year.

I wouldn't expect UNI fans to understand. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Some programs expect more then just being "good" every year.

I wouldn't expect UNI fans to understand. :D

NDSU fan siding with Michigan and Nebraska fans on this? Not surprised...

Bisonator
December 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM
NDSU fan siding with Michigan and Nebraska fans on this? Not surprised...

Lehigh fan siding with.....xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Lehigh fan siding with SUVs, America, Hotdogs and Apple Pie.....xthumbsupx

FIFY

bkrownd
December 12th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Yes.

If a win % of 72, finishing in the top 25 every season with 4 division titles (never worse than third), 4 post New Year bowls, 3 10 win seasons, never winning less than 9 games isn't good enough then your program/fan base is completely unrealistic.

"Division titles" mean "also-ran". They are not "titles" by any respectable measure. Winning 9 games at a big name school is easy when the schedule is heavily padded with the likes of Southern Miss, Illinois and Purdue. Getting your doors blown off by Wisconsin and needing miracle finishes to beat Iowa, McNeese and Northwestern should not happen. Nebraska should be able to do better than Iowa-level performance. Pelini might be able to do better elsewhere, but that's another story for another day.

UNI Pike
December 12th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Too bad Trafficant already took his name out of consideration. Would have have made the Sweatervest look squeaky clean.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

344Johnson
December 12th, 2014, 04:22 PM
"Division titles" mean "also-ran". They are not "titles" by any respectable measure. Winning 9 games at a big name school is easy when the schedule is heavily padded with the likes of Southern Miss, Illinois and Purdue. Getting your doors blown off by Wisconsin and needing miracle finishes to beat Iowa, McNeese and Northwestern should not happen. Nebraska should be able to do better than Iowa-level performance. Pelini might be able to do better elsewhere, but that's another story for another day.

9 wins every year is not an also ran. Alabama has had title droughts. Notre Same, USC, plenty of big schools have had title droughts. Not always coaches fault.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
9 wins every year is not an also ran. Alabama has had title droughts. Notre Same, USC, plenty of big schools have had title droughts. Not always coaches fault.

Osborne didn't win big until those final few years of his career. Before that 1994 team (PSU was better that year) I looked at Husker football as a program that could never win a big game. It seemed like they were always getting run over in a bowl, usually Orange, by Miami or Florida State. The Huskers from Turner Gill until Tommie Frazier were 8-9 win teams most years.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Osborne didn't win big until those final few years of his career. Before that 1994 team (PSU was better that year) I looked at Husker football as a program that could never win a big game. It seemed like they were always getting run over in a bowl, usually Orange, by Miami or Florida State. The Huskers from Turner Gill until Tommie Frazier were 8-9 win teams most years.

So you're saying they were the Ohio State of their era?

DoubleE
December 12th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Too bad Trafficant already took his name out of consideration. Would have have made the Sweatervest look squeaky clean.

ummm he just died a few months ago so..................

UNI Pike
December 12th, 2014, 05:33 PM
ummm he just died a few months ago so..................
That's the joke.

DoubleE
December 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Interesting tidbit to the rumor of Bo to Pitt, the Pitt AD was AD at Nebraska when Bo was D Coordinator and then interim head coach. The AD passed Bo over for the head coaching job, to say the two of them dont like eachother is putting it mildly

penguinpower
December 12th, 2014, 07:17 PM
That's the joke.

He did. Tractor rolled over on him at his home.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Interesting tidbit to the rumor of Bo to Pitt, the Pitt AD was AD at Nebraska when Bo was D Coordinator and then interim head coach. The AD passed Bo over for the head coaching job, to say the two of them dont like eachother is putting it mildly

I know Pitt is in the ACC but at this point it's not a better job than Temple or some other middling program. Penn State is the David in the state now more than ever even though the team is in the dumps. Sure Pitt can go 8-4/9-3 every now again. But, they'll also be those stretches of 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 seasons when the blue hair alums that still remember Johnny Majors raise hell. The fan support is dwindling. Yes it's better than Temple but not by a whole lot. The Panthers are starting to live off of the opponents at this point like the Owls to fill Heinz Field. Walt Harris road Larry Fitz to the Fiesta Bowl and ran to Stanford.

It's a Steelers city like no other. Pittsburgh as a city is much MUCH smaller than most people think. There's simply no room for Panther football imo. Tearing down Pitt Stadium was a major mistake. It cost the program an identity.

Look at the history of their coaches. No one ever seems to stay more than 4 or 5 years. It's strange....

Lehigh'98
December 12th, 2014, 07:56 PM
So you're saying they were the Ohio State of their era?

The hell are you talking about? OSU were national champion 2002 and won 10 games almost every year with Tressel. Now they are back on top with Meyer. Better than anything Penn St could sniff. Yes they lost some to SEC games in the Championship, but those are still great seasons.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2014, 08:01 PM
The hell are you talking about? OSU were national champion 2002 and won 10 games almost every year with Tressel. Now they are back on top with Meyer. Better than anything Penn St could sniff. Yes they lost some to SEC games in the Championship, but those are still great seasons.

Not sure where he was going with that. Michigan and Ohio State both went 40-50 years without a championship. Notre Dame will be on 27, I'm getting old, next season...

DoubleE
December 12th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Not sure where he was going with that. Michigan and Ohio State both went 40-50 years without a championship. Notre Dame will be on 27, I'm getting old, next season...

1968-2002 is 40 to 50 years ? what school did u go to ?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2014, 08:24 PM
1968-2002 is 40 to 50 years ? what school did u go to ?

I guessed without looking it up. I thought it was longer than 34.....

DoubleE
December 12th, 2014, 08:51 PM

Doth what she hath said

Lehigh'98
December 12th, 2014, 08:56 PM

I actually thought they won in the 70's. My mistake. Still wouldn't compare them with Nebraska.

DoubleE
December 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I actually thought they won in the 70's. My mistake. Still wouldn't compare them with Nebraska.

I checked and I stand corrected 1970 was the last national championship before 2002, not 68

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Oh...YSU fans quick to defend OSU.

Shocking i tell you....

Lehigh'98
December 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Oh...YSU fans quick to defend OSU.

Shocking i tell you....

Shocking,UNI fan tearing down YSU because they have a better history and a Michigan fan jealous of OSUs success. Parallels? Go ahead, bring up cheatervest, it's original..

mmiller_34
December 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM
No new news yet?

i have a feeling if it hasn't officially happened yet, it won't.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I checked and I stand corrected 1970 was the last national championship before 2002, not 68

That 1970 title is a bit sketchy. Most people would say Nebraska (AP) and Texas (Coaches) legitimately split it. The Ohio State claimed title was awarded by the National Football Foundation.

344Johnson
December 12th, 2014, 09:39 PM

We Are ND. Stay strong brother. We will get there soon.

clenz
December 12th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Shocking,UNI fan tearing down YSU because they have a better history and a Michigan fan jealous of OSUs success. Parallels? Go ahead, bring up cheatervest, it's original..
I am jealous of nothing cheater vest has ever done

penguinpower
December 12th, 2014, 11:05 PM
No new news yet?

i have a feeling if it hasn't officially happened yet, it won't.

Don't think it is going to happen as I stated earlier

Daved
December 13th, 2014, 12:53 AM
ummm he just died a few months ago so..................Yeah he died in a tractor accident in September--I'm not defending the sweatervest as he deserved to be fired, but realistically he was squeaky clean compared to many HC's in the past and present believe it or not.

344Johnson
December 13th, 2014, 01:08 AM
I am jealous of nothing cheater vest has ever done

I'm jealous of his Ohio State team beating the U back in '03. That was awesome. **** Miami.

wow
December 13th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah he died in a tractor accident in September--I'm not defending the sweatervest as he deserved to be fired, but realistically he was squeaky clean compared to many HC's in the past and present believe it or not.

Tressel's biggest mistake was his inability to establish plausible deniability. AFAIK, he knew what was going on, and there were emails to prove it. Take away those emails and he could still be coaching at OSU, IMO.

DetroitFlyer
December 13th, 2014, 10:22 AM
More likely to go to Pitt.

DoubleE
December 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
More likely to go to Pitt.

i think its 50/50 at this point between YSU and Pitt, the question is can the Pitt AD and Bo get over their bad blood for eachother ?

Kemo
December 13th, 2014, 01:31 PM
[misplaced post]

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Tressel's biggest mistake was his inability to establish plausible deniability. AFAIK, he knew what was going on, and there were emails to prove it. Take away those emails and he could still be coaching at OSU, IMO.

Let that be a lesson kids. Don't email important/incriminating stuff

Thumper 76
December 14th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Hell the last clown (HC) at YSU figured your team out on homo day xthumbsupx
:D

Hey how'd you guys do in the playoffs ;D

ValleyTalk
December 14th, 2014, 09:00 AM
i think its 50/50 at this point between YSU and Pitt, the question is can the Pitt AD and Bo get over their bad blood for eachother ?
As of yesterday, Pitt was not an option for Pelini, at least not yet. Hearing a decision on the coach should come by Tuesday at the latest. Thus, YSU will not be waiting for the Pitt job to open up officially later this week.

Bizarre is how I was told the situation can be described as. What is bizarre about it, the source did not tell me.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2014, 09:54 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/522949727621357569/d6UQEHE3_normal.jpeg (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)Joe Scalzo (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)
@JoeScalzo1 (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)

I just got told Pelini is going to be the guy. Trying to confirm.

Daved
December 16th, 2014, 10:22 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/522949727621357569/d6UQEHE3_normal.jpeg (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)Joe Scalzo (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)
@JoeScalzo1 (https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1)

I just got told Pelini is going to be the guy. Trying to confirm.According to WKBN its true!

Daved
December 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM
More likely to go to Pitt.Probably will when YSU plays them!

Bisonator
December 16th, 2014, 10:43 AM
So does the search for the new coach start immediately or wait 2 years???xcoffeex

penguinpower
December 16th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I am hearing this is true also. Hard to believe

wow
December 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
So does the search for the new coach start immediately or wait 2 years???xcoffeex

I can't see Pelini as being a long term hire either, but if he wants to move on in 2 years he is going to have to have success at YSU.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Now it's official.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/451038023791038464/wG6l0e_5_normal.jpeg (https://twitter.com/FauxPelini)Fake Bo Pelini (https://twitter.com/FauxPelini)
@FauxPelini (https://twitter.com/FauxPelini)

AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A YOUNGSTOWN PARTY

Lehigh'98
December 16th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Great news for Youngstown!!

JSUBison
December 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I can't see Pelini as being a long term hire either, but if he wants to move on in 2 years he is going to have to have success at YSU.

Hope he doesn't pull a John L Smith and bail this summer.

penguinpower
December 16th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Hope he doesn't pull a John L Smith and bail this summer.

I don't think he would do that.....this is his home town.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4_noOZIIAM_Y0l.png:large

ysubigred
December 16th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Hey how'd you guys do in the playoffs ;D

Yea yea rub it in xbowx
How many national chqampionships have you guys won xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 16th, 2014, 05:00 PM
http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/pelini-announcement

Daved
December 16th, 2014, 05:07 PM
So does the search for the new coach start immediately or wait 2 years???xcoffeexRumor has it that Youngstown native Bob Stoops from Oklahoma is high on the list as well as Ohio native Urban Meyerxdrunkyx

penguinpower
December 16th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Pretty big hire but still have to win in the MVFC. A challenge

Bisonator
December 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Rumor has it that Youngstown native Bob Stoops from Oklahoma is high on the list as well as Ohio native Urban Meyerxdrunkyx

Haha those won't be as fun to watch as Bo melting down on the sideline though!xthumbsupx

ysubigred
December 17th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Rumor has it that Youngstown native Bob Stoops from Oklahoma is high on the list as well as Ohio native Urban Meyerxdrunkyx

We also have a shot at Nick Saben and Les Miles xrolleyesx

ysubigred
December 17th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Haha those won't be as fun to watch as Bo melting down on the sideline though!xthumbsupx

Goooo... Sammy xpeacex

TheEagleSHSU
December 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
http://m.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html?mode=jqm

KUlawJack
December 17th, 2014, 05:00 PM
http://m.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html?mode=jqm

Wow. That's all I got.

DoubleE
December 17th, 2014, 06:30 PM
yeah..... things wernt good at Nebraska for him after osborne retired as ad

penguinpower
December 17th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Wow. That's all I got.

That is typical Youngstown temperament from anow Italian growing up near the south side. Doesn't even phase me because I understand it. He was relating to his players believe it or not

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 07:46 PM
That is typical Youngstown temperament from anow Italian growing up near the south side. Doesn't even phase me because I understand it. He was relating to his players believe it or not
Translation

"He is a complete psycho nut bag, but he is ours so I'll defend it"

penguinpower
December 17th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Here is the full transcript of what Bo said.

Appreciate you guys coming out here and, you know, obviously the last couple days here for me have been, you know, kind of crazy. Just kind of giving you guys a heads up.

It wasn't a surprise to me. It really wasn't. I didn't really have any relationship with the AD. The guy — you guys saw him (Sunday) — the guy's a total p----. I mean, he is. He's a total c---.

And since I've been here — he's been here for about two years — I've probably had a conversation with the guy a couple times. You saw him. He's never been in the locker room.

At the end of the day, he was never going to support us. And he didn't support us. You saw it. He was never going to come out in the paper and support (us). And fellas, I gotta tell you, at the end of the day, in the last, you know, when you are in my position, you guys know what it's like, you guys go through it and I go through it about 50 times over. The scrutiny, the taking shots at you, and everything else – when you aren't getting support from your boss, it can be stressful. It was stressful on me, it was stressful on my family.

And Kaz is here, I said to Kaz at one point, I said, man, this is killing me. I said, I don't want to die doing this job. And I meant it. I was like, I don't want to have a heart attack doing this job.

About a week ago, about 10 days ago, I said, I went to a couple of the members of the board, who — and I don't even really know what those guys do — and I said "Hey, you know what, if this guy ain't gonna do his job, and if he doesn't have the balls to go out there and support me, support these kids, support this program, then do me a favor and get rid of me."

And I don't really know where that went, as far as between whether that got relayed to them or not, but at the end of the day, we won that game, and I could see it in the athletic director's face, I could see it the other guy's face — Kaz will tell you — they were pissed. They didn't want us to win that game. The Iowa game. And that's weird. That's strange. But it is what it is.

But at the end of the day, what I wanted to make sure, if there was gonna be a change, that I would have time to get on my feet. They gotta pay me. They gotta pay our assistants over the next — they have time to get jobs.

But at the end of the day, fellas, if they weren't gonna support us. ... And I said what I said to him and I'll tell you what I told him. When I went in there and he said, "We are gonna make a change," and I said, "All right." I said, "You are gonna honor my contract?" He said, "Yeah." I said, "You are gonna honor my assistant coaches' contracts?" He said, "Yeah." And I said, "Well, I think it's the best for both of us. Because if you aren't gonna support us, then it's probably best for everybody involved that we part ways."

And that's how I felt. And then I told him, I said, "Hey, listen."

And he goes, "Well, I disagree that I haven't supported you."

And I said, "Hey bud, you can't support somebody underneath a f------ rock." I said, "To do your job at this level, at a place like this, you gotta be a grown a-- f------ man to lead something." I said, "You can't lead anything under a f------ rock." I said, "You don't spend any time with us. Our players don't even know who you are." And I said, "That isn't leadership."

And he said, "Well, I appreciate your advice."

And I said, "I suggest you take it, but see you later." And that's how it went down.

At the end of the day, the guy ain't changing. I knew that when I took the job.

You know, when they forced coach Osborne out — and that's what happened, he got forced out — when he got forced out, I knew what was right around the corner. Or what could have been around the corner. But I wasn't sure. But I'll put it to you this way. It didn't surprise me how it played out. Like I said, at the end of the day, you gotta have, you gotta be, it's hard enough to get to build something, but you gotta have everybody going in one direction. And it wasn't. Everybody wasn't going in the right direction.

I think there were agendas and those go all the way over to the chancellor's office. Between the AD and the chancellor. And if they want their own guy in there, go ahead, good luck to ya. But what I'm concerned about is you guys. That's all I care about.

I want you guys all to know that I've been through this before, you know. I'll be fine. Between you guys, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I might just stay right here and leave my kids in school here. I already have a couple job offers. I don't know what I'm going to do. Not really sure what I want to do yet. I'm in no hurry to make decisions.

My biggest concern is, as far you guys are concerned, is my wife and kids and to make sure they are happy. I'm sure all you guys are going through, "Hey, what am I gonna do?" I've been there as a player. I was young when it happened with me. It was after my redshirt freshman year at Ohio State, there was a coaching change. And I stayed, but a lot of guys left. And it works out both ways.

At the end of the day, when you make those kinds of decisions, you gotta go with what's in your heart. There is no right or wrong choice in that stuff. But understand, you aren't going to have a bigger ally than myself and the other coaches. If you guys need any help with anything, all you gotta do is ask, and I promise you, I'm there for you. I mean, I will do everything I possibly can to help you, no matter what. You'll get through this; it's difficult and it sucks.

You know, I don't have a lot of confidence in what their plan is. I don't even know if they have a plan right now, which, to me, is scary. If it's true what he said — someone told me, that it "crystallized" for him on Saturday night — which tells me he doesn't really have a plan, which to me, is a little bit unnerving. But I don't know how you do anything in this world without a plan.

But as far as you guys are concerned, you guys are gonna be fine, you guys gotta stick together in this deal. That's the key. You ain't gonna change what's going on on the third floor (of the athletic department). It doesn't mean it can affect you guys. There's a lot of talent in this room. There's a lot of great kids in this room.

And you know, if you choose to stick it out, you stick it out. If you choose not to, you don't have to. You are free to do whatever the heck you want to do. And that's about all I can say. Like I said, I'm more concerned about you guys than I am anything else. Because it's always been a weakness of mine, but I get close to my guys. I care about you guys. I really do. I'm hard on you, the same way I'm hard on my own kid, but I love you guys. I really do. I recruited most of you guys to come here. And I told you I'd look after you, and I can tell you this, I did everything I possibly could. I gave you guys every ounce I could give you. I promise you. That's how I operate and I said I'll do it until someone told me not to.

And someone told me not to coach here anymore, but I'm still here for you guys. And that doesn't mean over the next month or next year — I don't care if it's 10 years down the road, fellas. If you guys ever need anything from me, you pick up the phone and call me. I've been hearing from guys from LSU, to guys I've coached in the NFL, to guys I've coached three and four years ago. Like I said, I am here for you guys. You need advice? Ask me. Whatever you guys want. Whatever I can do for you, do not hesitate to ask, OK? I'm here, I'm available and I look at you guys like I do my own kids. I really do. I'll be here to help you and do whatever I can for you.

I don't know how long this will all take. (Eichorst) probably tried to fill you guys in. I heard the meeting didn't go real well for the man, which doesn't surprise me, because how does it go well when he doesn't even know you guys?

And that was the crazy thing. To be honest with you fellas, he knows nothing about — and I've always said — he knew nothing about me. I don't know him. He doesn't know me. He has no idea. He has no idea what is important to me, what I represent, how we run our program. He had no idea.

He's a policy guy, a lawyer who sits behind a desk and pushes a pen all day. And you guys know as well I do, that isn't how you lead anybody. So hopefully he brings someone in here that is strong, that has some leadership skills. I'm sure they'll do that.

My advice is, fellas, is, it'll be different, but if you choose to stay here, you give the new guy a chance. Because I went through that, fellas. I went from an old-school coach in Earle Bruce when I was at Ohio State to somebody who came in, and he was totally different. Totally different. It was a big-time adjustment. Whoever it is will probably come in here and talk bad about what we've done, or sit there and say, "We gotta upgrade this, we gotta upgrade that." But at the end of the day, fellas, you'll able to control your own destiny by what you put on film and how hard you work. That's what you have to remember.

Don't get caught up in all the BS, all the stuff the press says and doesn't say around here. At the end of the day, you take care of you. You take care of each other. And usually when you have that attitude, things work out. OK?

Have they even told you guys what bowl you are gonna go to? Next Sunday? You guys have earned a good bowl game, fellas. I mean, it'll be a good bowl. Play your ass off. Make me proud. That's all I ask. It'll probably be — I heard the Outback Bowl down in Tampa or maybe even in San Diego against SC. So you're going to play someone good.

I know it's difficult, fellas, and it's no fun. But any questions I can answer for you guys?

(No questions)

That's kind of the long and short of what's been going on. Let me tell you, you go back a year, fellas, when I said what I said after the Iowa game? I was trying to press — I wanted to find out then where they stood. And unfortunately all I found out then was that they were p------ and they were gonna do what was politically right, or what they thought was the politically right thing to do.

But at the end of the day, I wanted to find where they stood — because I felt a lack, I didn't get any — it's weird when you don't have any relationship with who you supposedly call your bosses, and you never see them, ever. So, at the end of the day, all I did was kind of bunker in and worry about you guys and worry about coaching. But it wasn't a good situation for me, professionally. It wasn't. I don't know whether you guys could see, but it became very stressful. And it's hard enough.

So for some ways for me personally ... there's some things that have actually been a relief for me. But, at the same time, what I worry about is you guys and my family.

Myself, Kaz, all the coaches, we’ll be fine. We'll be fine. Those guys can coach and they're all going to end up with jobs and everything else. Unfortunately, what people who aren’t part of this thing don’t understand is how it affects you guys. Just read the article? How many have mentioned you guys? Not many. I haven't read any of them — because I'd be dumber for probably having read them and I can't afford to get any dumber than I already am — but I guarantee that not many of them have mentioned, "Hey, how does this affect these guys?" I've sat in your seat, guys, and I understand how hard it is.

I say thank you to you guys, for what you did for me, and the effort you put in. Like I said, I love you guys. I really do. Understand I will do whatever it takes to help you. And do not be afraid and do not hesitate to call on me if there is something I can do for you. So that's about all I can say. Anybody got any questions?

(A question is asked about whether Eichorst met with Pelini one year ago and talked core values.)

He never said, "You gotta do that, you gotta do that." Let me tell you about core values. And fellas, this all stays here. But, a guy like him, who has no integrity, he doesn’t even understand what a core value is. He hasn't understood it from the day he got here. I saw it when I first met with the guy. To have core values means you have to be about something, you have to represent something that is important to you. He's a f------ lawyer who makes policies. That's all he's done since he's been here: Hire people and make policies to cover his own ass. So when he walked into that room to talk to you — and I wasn't there, I don't even know what he said — I can promise you from my dealings with the guy that he just sat out there and threw out words that really meant nothing, that didn’t really pertain to the situation. He thought about all these things and "this is what I'm going to say and this is how I'm going to say it," but they probably didn't even relate to what he was saying. Because that is who he is. That's all I ever got from him. Whenever I would have conversations with the guy, his eyes would always be moving back and forth. He can’t look you really in the eye. He never sat down and said, "Hey, you gotta do this, you gotta do that," or "Hey, you gotta win this many, you gotta do this."

You know, at the end of the day, people can say a lot about what we did. We won a lot of football games since I've been here. You guys represent this place phenomenally, in the classroom, in the community. What you should have said is, "What are those core values you're talking about?"

(Players said, almost in unison, “He didn't have an answer.”)

Because he didn’t have an answer, guys. He doesn't even — I told you — guys like that don’t know what is important to them. You have to represent something.

One thing about me, you guys knew when you dealt with me, you pretty much knew what my core values were, right? And you knew it was important to me. It was the same with our coaches. I couldn't tell you what his core values were. Just because you can put some words up on the building, what does that mean? It doesn’t mean anything. Some of it means something. Some of it is a f------ farce if you don’t live it. I like to follow what people do, not what they say. Give me a break.

But, no, there was no such meeting, ever. I gotta tell you guys — my relationship with the guy over the last — (since) spring until now I saw him probably seven or eight times for about 20 minutes over a six-month period. So, you know. Like I said, he would not know what my core values were because he never really took the time to understand it. And, to be honest with you, I didn't really give a f--- if he knew what my core values were or not. I don't give a s--- what that guy thinks. Because I have no respect for him. Right, wrong or indifferent, that's how I am.

If I was gonna deal with you guys, I was gonna do the best job I could and whatever happens happens. I have been in this profession a long time and I have seen some crazy s---. I saw a Super Bowl coach — I was gone by then — get fired. I was with Pete Carroll in New England when we had won the division two out of three years and he got let go. I was here in 2003 when they did this to Frank. I've been around the block long enough to know that at some point there was probably going to be — that it wasn’t going to work out, because we are different people. I'm not somebody who is going to sit there and get along to get along when I don't believe in something that's going on. I am going to speak my mind, and that probably bothered him and bothered the chancellor.

What you guys saw in that meeting – I am sure you guys walked out of there, and you're all smart guys who have been around — and I'm sure and your gut told you certain things. Trust your gut, because your gut's right. I could have — not knowing how it was going to go — when he told me he would meet with you guys at 8 o'clock, I think he said "I'm going to meet the players later on today," and my first thought was: "Well, that ain't going to go real well." Because I knew he wouldn’t handle it the right way. I heard he brought security with him? (Laughing) C’mon man. I mean, s---, fellas, look who he circles himself with. Look at his team of people. C'mon, man. I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there's anything bad about working at McDonald’s.

I am not going to walk in here and toe the company line. I wanted to bring you in and tell you what went down. And the way it was going down and where my mindset was. Let me tell you, fellas, this is for real. If it wasn’t for you guys and the coaches and their families, I would have resigned a year ago. Because there was some things that were going on that were making me miserable. And all the money in the world ain’t f------ worth that. And that's the truth.

I told those guys — and Kaz knows — there were too many people, you guys included, that were counting on me, that would have upset the apple cart. My kids were happy here. I said I could suck it up. When I was in coaching — doing the X's and O's and game planning and all those types of things, fellas? I forget about all this stuff. But there were times when I wasn’t doing that, When I had to deal with all the other b-------, let me tell you — there were a lot of nights I would go and sit down on the bed, and sit there and think, "What the f--- am I doing? Is this worth it?" Because I felt like it was taking years off my life. Really. The stress, it was hard. It got hard. It really did. You guys obviously don’t see that part of things, but it's difficult when you don’t feel you have any support and nobody's behind you.

Because, at the end of the day, I truly believe this, and I constantly talk about it, I felt at times, and you guys tell me if I am wrong, but I thought the last couple of years, and I think this has been going for a number of years, because of the environment that's here. I think because, as the year goes on, it gets harder and harder and header on you guys. Because I think you guys feel that. Am I right or wrong? It's a b---- here. It's hard enough when you have the negativity that comes from the media and the negativity from a lot of former players and this talk show and that talk show. You win and it ain’t good enough. It's not good enough, how you won. There is a lot of things that go on there, and if you don’t have a grown man standing in front of the thing saying, "Hey, I'm behind it," getting everybody, rallying them — I can do it all I want, but they're b------- at me, too. If they don't get somebody to rally this whole thing together, it's hard.

And I saw it on you guys. I saw it. It was never more evident than the Wisconsin game. I thought you guys were more mentally beat in that game than we got physically beat. It's a culmination of the negativity. And I understand, you guys are human. That's why I was constantly talking you guys about it. Last game, you guys just said, "F--- it, let's go play." Despite all the injuries we dealt with, you guys at least played free. And that's my advice to you guys that come back.

You can’t let this place eat you up, because if you let it, it'll eat you up. Because I've been at LSU, I've been at Oklahoma, I've been to these other places and it ain't quite — the scrutiny, the negativity, it ain’t like that everywhere. But it is what it is. But you gotta be strong as hell and deal with it. You have to. Because it's real, I know its out there. I’ve seen it. Am I right or wrong?

(Players: You're right.)

You gotta fight that, fellas, you just gotta go play and enjoy this thing because at the end of the day, it's not a job. This ought to be the best time of your life. Anybody who has in their mind — if any of you guys have on your mind, "Hey, should I go or should I stay?" or "Do I want to go or do I want to stay?" At the end of the day, what you gotta sit there and think is, "This is how many years I got left. These ought to be the best years of my life." And if I don’t think it's going to be that way in this place, then you shouldn't stay. But if you feel like, "Hey, this is the place for me. This is place where I'm going to enjoy my career," then this is where you should stay. That's what it should come down to because, fellas, it's going to be over before you know it. It just is. It goes fast. You guys who are seniors, you guys would say, you guys know, it goes quick. And you want to make sure you're able to enjoy it. OK?

But I'm gonna be around. I'm gonna be in town. Like I said, if anybody needs anything. If anybody's tried to call me or text me, I haven't even — it's been crazy over the last couple days. It's starting to settle down, but just call me or text me if you need me and I'll be through all this stuff. It should settle down in the next day or so and I'll get to you quick as I can. You guys who are seniors, anybody who has questions about the draft or what you guys are getting ready to do and that stuff, just let me know and I’ll be there to help you, give you advice, help you with whatever you guys need. OK? Appreciate you fellas, OK? Appreciate you guys coming out. Love you, OK? Thanks, fellas. Appreciate it.

Daved
December 17th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Translation

"He is a complete psycho nut bag, but he is ours so I'll defend it"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TapatalkIf he can lead YSU to 9 wins a year nobody here will care--in fact there have been complete psycho nut bags from this area that have been and still are revered.

DoubleE
December 17th, 2014, 08:44 PM
You notice his issues started after Osborn retired as AD ? He was airing his frustrations to his kids and I have no issue with it

ursus arctos horribilis
December 17th, 2014, 08:50 PM
That rant makes him some psycho nut bag? Holy **** what a bunch of pussies this country is becoming if that's the case.

BFD, he ranted to his players. I've personally got a much bigger problem with the cat thing.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM
And, of course, if he can't win, his comments WILL become unacceptable. I'm expecting a humorous ride. Isn't going to be dull around here , that's for sure !

ValleyTalk
December 17th, 2014, 09:12 PM
And, of course, if he can't win, his comments WILL become unacceptable. I'm expecting a humorous ride. Isn't going to be dull around here , that's for sure !
Paladin, your reputation is quite clear. You are openly cheering for the demise of the football (and athletic) program because of your hatred of Ron Strollo. Why not man up and call, email, or talk to Ron in person? I talk to him quite often and he is always out roaming the tailgate lots before games. You love to hide behind your computer like you are some expert, but I doubt you have it in you to rip Ron to his face.

The fact of the matter is this: you were going to bitch with whoever Strollo hired because you want him to fail.

Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe your pessimistic mindset.

TheEagleSHSU
December 17th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I have zero problem with what he said and actually like him more for having said it.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 17th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Paladin, your reputation is quite clear. You are openly cheering for the demise of the football (and athletic) program because of your hatred of Ron Strollo. Why not man up and call, email, or talk to Ron in person? I talk to him quite often and he is always out roaming the tailgate lots before games. You love to hide behind your computer like you are some expert, but I doubt you have it in you to rip Ron to his face.

The fact of the matter is this: you were going to bitch with whoever Strollo hired because you want him to fail.

Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe your pessimistic mindset.

Do not know what you are talking about here. He wasn't making any such assertions. He was making a joke that although those comments are justifiable by the fanbase now if he doesn't win fans will say "and he made all those disgusting comments before he even got this job...we should not have picked him up in the first place!"

ursus arctos horribilis
December 17th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I have zero problem with what he said and actually like him more for having said it.

That's my takeaway as well. The cat thing really had my opinion of him down a bunch so he needed this to come up a bit in my eyes...which is what any coach is looking for as it is. My approval that is.

IBleedYellow
December 17th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I'm worried about the Valley. In a good way.

We all know what happened the last time a Nebraska guy was the head coach of a Valley school.

http://awesomegifs.com/2012/12/ron-swanson-is-excited/

underdawg
December 17th, 2014, 09:24 PM
University of Nebraska-Youngstown--let the transfers begin

DoubleE
December 17th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Most of the Youngstown kids on Nebraska already transfered to Kentucky (Mark Stoops another youngstown coach whom was offered the YSU job 5 years ago before accepting florida state d cordinator job, after stoops said no YSU went with another Youngstown coach in Wolford)

ysubigred
December 17th, 2014, 09:32 PM

IDK about that... SDSU should have beat UN this year and YSU beat SDSU with normal players xrolleyesx LOL!!

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 09:52 PM
That rant makes him some psycho nut bag? Holy **** what a bunch of pussies this country is becoming if that's the case.

BFD, he ranted to his players. I've personally got a much bigger problem with the cat thing.
Have you watched any Nebraska football during his tenure?

He is a psycho on the sidelines

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Poor Valley Talk. You are a cheerleader for Strollo. The fact is HE HIRED Bo. I'm well aware of Bo's mouth and how it gets him in trouble. You stated on the other board that Bo will win 9 games every year just like he did at Nebraska. And if he doesn't, and has trouble meeting expectations, his comments will appear to be rude sailor talk that reflects poorly on YSU.

You don't agree ?

JSUBison
December 17th, 2014, 10:28 PM
This season isn't even over yet, and I can't wait until next year for the drama we'll no doubt see. Pelini and that damn cat, Joe Glenn lobbing more bombs at UN_, Farley being his usual pissed off self. Also have the Stache who is probably coaching to keep his job for what seems like the 5th straight year, who knows what that new guy at MSU is like.

clenz
December 17th, 2014, 10:31 PM
New MSU guy took a UNI OC that was about to be fired...so...that will be fun to watch

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Have you watched any Nebraska football during his tenure?

He is a psycho on the sidelines

No, other than some clips of McNeese. I don't tune into FBS hardly ever.

Your comment looked to be about what he said and on the sidelines or in the article...it's not much different to me. As someone said previously this will probaly be entertaining then. Dudes pretty much brand new to me so I'm looking forward to the ride now.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2014, 12:37 AM
I cannot wait until Tressel and Bo get into a disagreement.

bkrownd
December 18th, 2014, 04:47 AM
I'm sure Tressel can handle it.

Lehigh'98
December 18th, 2014, 05:38 AM
YSU will have a 1-2 yr surge with Bo that may even lead to a NC. Simply no denying a guy like him will get players there.

ValleyTalk
December 18th, 2014, 06:36 AM
You stated on the other board that Bo will win 9 games every year just like he did at Nebraska.
I may be mistaken, but I do not recall saying Pelini will win 9 games every year at YSU. I know I mentioned the fact he did at Nebraska and had a 72% winning percentage, but I do not recall saying he will at YSU.

So let's see the quote Pally.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2014, 06:57 AM
YSU will have a 1-2 yr surge with Bo that may even lead to a NC. Simply no denying a guy like him will get players there.

xlolx

Doubt it!

KUlawJack
December 18th, 2014, 07:23 AM

You may want to talk to Nebraska fans about his recruiting. They view it much differently. He went 9-17 against ranked teams, was embarrassed in several of those games, never won a single thing of note, and his defenses performed similarly to the DC under Callahan who is widely considered Nebraska's worst coach ever.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Sycamore62
December 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
You may want to talk to Nebraska fans about his recruiting. They view it much differently. He went 9-17 against ranked teams, was embarrassed in several of those games, never won a single thing of note, and his defenses performed similarly to the DC under Callahan who is widely considered Nebraska's worst coach ever.

What would be an acceptable winning % against ranked teams from the b10. That's a legit question. Is that teams ranked higher or teams that are in the top 25. I'd speculate that most coaches have a record like that against ranked teams.

Pards Rule
December 18th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Anyone have the recording of his tirade against the Nebraska AD when he met the players for the last time...Sounds quite entertaining!

penguinpower
December 18th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Pelini's fault is his loyalty to his assistant coaches. He should have fired the DC after Carl left but he didn't. It cost him. The people in Youngstown want to see outstanding defense (similar to NDSU fans). The program's history is based on having an excellent defense. I would rather see a combined point of 3 vs a combined score of 100.

wow
December 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Anyone have the recording of his tirade against the Nebraska AD when he met the players for the last time...Sounds quite entertaining!

http://studio.omaha.com/EXPLICIT-Raw-audio-of-Bo-Pelinis-final-meeting-with-Nebraska-players-28270572

There you go.

Sycamore62
December 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I'm worried about the Valley. In a good way.

We all know what happened the last time a Nebraska guy was the head coach of a Valley school.

http://awesomegifs.com/2012/12/ron-swanson-is-excited/

I assume you are talking about Dennis Raetz ('80-'97) then Tim McGuire('98-'04) at ISUb

KUlawJack
December 18th, 2014, 08:39 AM
What would be an acceptable winning % against ranked teams from the b10. That's a legit question. Is that teams ranked higher or teams that are in the top 25. I'd speculate that most coaches have a record like that against ranked teams.

It isn't the record as much as getting completely embarrassed in big time games. Nebraska fans can't stand that.

2014 - Wisconsin 59-24
2013 - UCLA 41-21 (I believe UCLA scored 41 unanswered to win)
2013 - Iowa 38-17
2012 - Ohio State 63-38
2012 - Wisconsin 70-31
2011 - Wisconsin 48-17
2011 - Michigan 45-17
2011 - South Carolina 30-13

That is a snippet of what drives their fan base insane regarding Pelini. That and his inability to be Tom Osborne and act like it.

Pards Rule
December 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM
http://studio.omaha.com/EXPLICIT-Raw-audio-of-Bo-Pelinis-final-meeting-with-Nebraska-players-28270572

There you go.

Yes I needed some background for our company Christmas party this afternoon! Thanks!

wow
December 18th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Yes I needed some background for our company Christmas party this afternoon! Thanks!

I'm listening to it now, it isn't as bad as the print version makes it seem, honestly. When I read the print version my mind pictured sideline Bo with spit flying out of his mouth. This audio sounds like somebody I would get along with.

I think Bo stays at Youngstown for a long time. IMO, it sounds like he has seen what FBS football has to offer and isn't interested in being a part of it anymore. Being a FBS head football coach is more about media, powerful boosters, and politics than actual football and coaching.

Bisonator
December 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I assume you are talking about Dennis Raetz ('80-'97) then Tim McGuire('98-'04) at ISUb

Um, no. I assume he's talking about Bohl.

Bisonator
December 18th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I'm listening to it now, it isn't as bad as the print version makes it seem, honestly. When I read the print version my mind pictured sideline Bo with spit flying out of his mouth. This audio sounds like somebody I would get along with.

I think Bo stays at Youngstown for a long time. IMO, it sounds like he has seen what FBS football has to offer and isn't interested in being a part of it anymore. Being a FBS head football coach is more about media, powerful boosters, and politics than actual football and coaching.

NDSU fans thought the same about Bohl but the money is too big of a lure.

Sycamore62
December 18th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Um, no. I assume he's talking about Bohl.

I guess we can agree to disagree

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Well, he's going to face 4-6 ranked MVFC teams per season.

He better hope he has a better win % against ranked FCS teams as a FCS coach than ranked B10 teams as a B10 coach

wow
December 18th, 2014, 09:38 AM
NDSU fans thought the same about Bohl but the money is too big of a lure.

Time will tell, and you might be right about Pelini heading back to the FBS eventually.

But its not even close to the same situation as Bohl to Wyoming.

For starters, Bohl was never an FBS head coach and he wasn't from Fargo. Pelini has been in multiple FBS and pro programs, and he was successful as a head coach in the Big 12 and Big 10 for almost a decade. He is from Youngstown. Those are pretty big differences.

Daved
December 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Well, he's going to face 4-6 ranked MVFC teams per season.

He better hope he has a better win % against ranked FCS teams as a FCS coach than ranked B10 teams as a B10 coachGood point --Wolford had to--hopefully he will do just a little better--that's really all he needs to do--time always tells.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM

There you go.

Man that comes off way better than in print and I didn't have a problem with it before. This an absolute nothing here as far as controversy goes. It is cool to listen to but nothing more than that.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Bo's sin is basically being recorded telling the truth that people need to hear. Did he say a thing that isn't true?

That's what pisses me off the most about this "controversy". He supposedly wasn't supposed to tell the truth in order to spare his former employer's feelings, or something. We are really supposed to care about the Nebraska athletic department's feelings on this matter? They dumped him for irrational reasons! Everyone knows it!

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Bo's sin is basically being recorded telling the truth that people need to hear. Did he say a thing that isn't true?

That's what pisses me off the most about this "controversy". He supposedly wasn't supposed to tell the truth in order to spare his former employer's feelings, or something. We are really supposed to care about the Nebraska athletic department's feelings on this matter? They dumped him for irrational reasons! Everyone knows it!
I don't have an issue with what he said...

My comment is/was stand alone.

This article is from 2010

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/harvey-perlman-bo-pelini-sideline-behavior/1#.VJMNjl4APA

He's been flagged multiple times for contact/issues with officials.
There's multiple incidents of him hitting/making contact with players while screaming at them.
His face was the color of the red uniforms for the majority of his games in Lincoln.
His attitude regarding fans is...quote - "**** you, fans. **** all of you.' **** 'em." - http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-nebraska-fans-****-you-fans-****-all-o-1327398903

Maybe he works out in Youngstown...maybe.

If he has success he's gone in 2 or 3 years. If he doesn't he's gone in 3 years for failing.

bkrownd
December 18th, 2014, 12:23 PM

IMO nobody EVER "needs" to hear anyone referred to by the 4-letter c-word in ANY setting. These words would be shocking from a street ruffian, but they came out of the mouth of a 3 million dollar "professional". The way he uses words is very telling, and it's hilarious that he talks about "core values" while using this kind of language in a supposed leadership role. The only truth we get out of this transcript is that Bo needed yes-men both above and below him to feel secure.

Tressel seems like the kind of guy who has a strong enough personality and reputation which might eventually set Pelini straight. The fact that Bo needs this kind of managment shows he wasn't ready and developed enough as a person to be a "head coach".

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 12:27 PM
IMO nobody EVER "needs" to hear anyone referred to by the 4-letter c-word in ANY setting. These words would be shocking from a street ruffian, but they came out of the mouth of a 3 million dollar "professional". The way he uses words is very telling, and it's hilarious that he talks about "core values" while using this kind of language in a supposed leadership role. The only truth we get out of this transcript is that Bo needed yes-men both above and below him to feel secure.
words are just that...words.

There is no such thing as a bad word

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 12:33 PM

I hear that about the C word all the time and think it's bull****. It's offensive because some gals decided it as such. Those same people won't normally have a problem using other genitalia words to mock someone out so that one gets no special placement in my book either. I've used it quite often as a descriptive conveyance of someone's personality or behavior. Of course you gotta be acting like one to hear it so it's not over used by any means either.

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I hear that about the C word all the time and think it's bull****. It's offensive because some gals decided it as such. Those same people won't normally have a problem using other genitalia words to mock someone out so that one gets no special placement in my book either. I've used it quite often as a descriptive conveyance of someone's personality or behavior. Of course you gotta be acting like one to hear it so it's not over used by any means either.
Exactly this.

Words only have power that you let them have. There is not a word you could use/say around me, or call me, that would offend me in any way. Same for jokes.

Words are words.

Just because some hoity toity white aristocrat a hundred years ago, or so, decided that they didn't like the word doesn't mean **** to me.

It's why I can't get passed people of faith that get all offended because it's not Christian to swear...really? Tell me where it says that ***** or sh/t is a bad word anywhere in any religious text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvdXxhLPa8

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Words in American that are bad aren't bad in Canada.

Things we do every day in America that would get you stomped overseas
http://www.cracked.com/article_16335_7-innocent-gestures-that-can-get-you-killed-overseas.html

wow
December 18th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Exactly this.

Words only have power that you let them have. There is not a word you could use/say around me, or call me, that would offend me in any way. Same for jokes.

Words are words.

Just because some hoity toity white aristocrat a hundred years ago, or so, decided that they didn't like the word doesn't mean **** to me.

It's why I can't get passed people of faith that get all offended because it's not Christian to swear...really? Tell me where it says that ***** or sh/t is a bad word anywhere in any religious text.

Lots of the religious people I've known have no problem with words, but the context and intent with which they are used. "That calf pen is full of $h!t" has a completely different context and meaning than "you are full of $h!t." I've known plenty of elders/deacons/ministers who have no problem using curse words, they have a problem with cursing.

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Lots of the religious people I've known have no problem with words, but the context and intent with which they are used. "That calf pen is full of $h!t" has a completely different context and meaning than "you are full of $h!t." I've known plenty of elders/deacons/ministers who have no problem using curse words, they have a problem with cursing.

There's no difference in either example.

If they see a difference than they are...no shockingly, given my experiences with religion...complete hypocrites.

wow
December 18th, 2014, 01:48 PM
words are just that...words.

There is no such thing as a bad word

You are correct, and you are free to use whatever words you like.

I and others are also free to make judgments about intelligence based on the words a person chooses to use.

People argue round and round about morality/religion/society/culture, but was it intelligent/professional of Pelini to use that kind of language?

I would say no.

Mattymc727
December 18th, 2014, 01:50 PM
If anyone has problems with the word c**t, dont ever go to Australia....

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 01:58 PM
You are correct, and you are free to use whatever words you like.

I and others are also free to make judgments about intelligence based on the words a person chooses to use.

People argue round and round about morality/religion/society/culture, but was it intelligent/professional of Pelini to use that kind of language?

I would say no.So because someone uses the word ***** or c*nt they are unintelligent?

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Or England

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 02:05 PM
There's no difference in either example.

If they see a difference than they are...no shockingly, given my experiences with religion...complete hypocrites.

Well you are somewhat correct but there is a matter of civility or moreso a difference in usages there. You are never all correct nor all wrong clenzy so don't attach to much to any one stance.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 02:07 PM
So because someone uses the word ***** or c*nt they are unintelligent?

That is not what he said. He said people can (and will) make judgments based on this. That is fine with me. I use them and will be happy to have a discussion with anyone on a variety of issues and see how superior they feel after it is done.

They can make those assumptions. They are free to be wrong if they want to be.

Sycamore62
December 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't take my daughters (5&2) near a sideline or a lockeroom. Same reason they can't ride with me when I play golf with other men.

I could pay a ****load of money to live at a nice golf course so my daughters could learn the word ****load and f***

My my grandmother would cry if she heard the casual language used around a football locker room.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
No one on AGS has ever called someone, or felt that someone is, a c*** privately?

Again, Bo's only sin was that he was caught on tape with complete candor saying something that EVERYONE thinks about SOMEONE every single day. People are hung up on English decorum rules for our head football coaches. Why? Because someone might get hurt?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Had an Australian working for me in the early 2000's and just giggled incessantly at the sheer number of inanimate objects that this name applies to...

Glue
PVC Elbows
Flat tire
Channel locks
A tree
A group of dude's at the bar drinking

It was unending for sure.

Mattymc727
December 18th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Had an Australian working for me in the early 2000's and just giggled incessantly at the sheer number of inanimate objects that this name applies to...

Glue
PVC Elbows
Flat tire
Channel locks
A tree
A group of dude's at the bar drinking

It was unending for sure.

I studied abroad in Australia, and the most baffling thing to me was how the women used the word just as often as men. I couldnt believe my ears. It was kind of a turn on actually, not sure what that says about me....

Daytripper
December 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM
The only word in the English language that my wife literally hates.

wow
December 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM
So because someone uses the word ***** or c*nt they are unintelligent?

I didn't say they were unintelligent. Just that myself and others (and even you!) make judgments based on the words people choose to use. Both good and bad.

Scenario 1 - Chuck E Cheese waitress accidentally spills a drink on a male customer, and she apologizes profusely. He chuckles, dries himself off, and continues to enjoy his meal with his family.

Scenario 2 - Chuck E Cheese waitress accidentally spills a drink on a male customer, and she apologizes profusely. He calls her a stupid c*nt, then calls his wife a b!*ch for trying to dry him off. His kids are crying and he storms out of the restaurant.

Most would argue the customer in scenario 2 acted inappropriately. No different in the Pelini situation, most people would say he acted inappropriately. If not inappropriately, certainly unprofessionally.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I studied abroad in Australia, and the most baffling thing to me was how the women used the word just as often as men. I couldnt believe my ears. It was kind of a turn on actually, not sure what that says about me....

It's the whole point. You can get together like a bunch of old biddies in a coffee circle and say "Oh my, you can't say that!" or you can just recognize that you are maybe putting a little too much stock in something unnecessarily and leave it be and it won't mean **** to anyone except to be a descriptive punchline.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I didn't say they were unintelligent. Just that myself and others (and even you!) make judgments based on the words people choose to use. Both good and bad.

Scenario 1 - Chuck E Cheese waitress accidentally spills a drink on a male customer, and she apologizes profusely. He chuckles, dries himself off, and continues to enjoy his meal with his family.

Scenario 2 - Chuck E Cheese waitress accidentally spills a drink on a male customer, and she apologizes profusely. He calls her a stupid c*nt, then calls his wife a b!*ch for trying to dry him off. His kids are crying and he storms out of the restaurant.

Most would argue the customer in scenario 2 acted inappropriately. No different in the Pelini situation, most people would say he acted inappropriately. If not inappropriately, certainly unprofessionally.

Don't think he acted outside the bounds of what men normally do in the presence of other men. Men acting like this is a big deal is what is sort of sickening.

Sycamore62
December 18th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Here's my biggest deal with Bo and coaches who don't like boosters and the whole college football support machine (if he doesn't but that may be a big assumption leap), and guys like Belichick who are generally dicks to the media in spite of the fact that I hear he is an awesome guy to know. We know you don't like dealing with some of the major parts of the industry but they are kind of the really important parts that are allowing obscene amounts of money to be paid for them to coach a game. If there weren't boosters or the media the revenue would be way less. I know some would argue they would give up the money to not have to deal with that. Well, that's a possibility. Our local high school is looking for a coach. There are probably colleges out there that would be a walk in the park to coach at with ther skill level. So if you aren't willint to put up with their level of expectations for the amount they are willing to pay then move along.

I do have some sympathy for Bo if the AD sucked. I've seen that ruin a coach's career before.

FormerPokeCenter
December 18th, 2014, 02:44 PM

Sometimes, there's just NO ****ing substitute for good old fashioned profanity to underscore a point...

I often curse. It has nothing to do with a diminished intellect or vocabulary. Sometimes profane words are the only ****ing appropriate choice...

Sycamore62
December 18th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Sometimes, there's just NO ****ing substitute for good old fashioned profanity to underscore a point...

I often curse. It has nothing to do with a diminished intellect or vocabulary. Sometimes profane words are the only ****ing appropriate choice...

For example, the person in front of you in the McDonald's double drive through causing you to get passed by multiple cars.

"No sweetheart, that's what we call people who can't figure out the drive through"

/me today

FormerPokeCenter
December 18th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Exactly!

Judicious application of profanity laced tirades are one reason the murder rate isn't exponentially higher...

wow
December 18th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Don't think he acted outside the bounds of what men normally do in the presence of other men. Men acting like this is a big deal is what is sort of sickening.

So we agree: there are words that are fine in certain contexts that are best not used in other contexts.

Our disagreement lies in the context.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2014, 03:04 PM
The context here is Bo is offering his opinion about his former boss to his (now former) players. Not to mention telling the truth. it's not like he set up a press conference and called in Pat Forde to share with him what a c*** his former boss was.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2014, 03:14 PM
So we agree: there are words that are fine in certain contexts that are best not used in other contexts.

Oh I absolutely agree with that. I made that point earlier as well in that one needs to judge the audience and go with what would be considered civil and appropriate in that place and time.

clenz
December 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37SrQdIqKiU

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Coach Bo is the Trillest Coach I know of. He will have YSU buzzing. I think that speech is a ploy to have some of those Huskers to transfer to YSU.

ValleyTalk
December 18th, 2014, 05:03 PM
The context here is Bo is offering his opinion about his former boss to his (now former) players. Not to mention telling the truth. it's not like he set up a press conference and called in Pat Forde to share with him what a c*** his former boss was.
Nebraska should be more concerned with the fact much of their football team met with their fired head coach at a local high school, two days after he was canned. They chose to listen to him, it certainly was not required, being he was. No longer their coach.

In the end, Nebraska is going to suffer in my eyes. Before he was even hired at YSU or even a thought for the job, I've been beyond perplexed you'd fire a guy and hire someone with a resume that does not even compare.

Daved
December 18th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Coach Bo is the Trillest Coach I know of. He will have YSU buzzing. I think that speech is a ploy to have some of those Huskers to transfer to YSU.His brother may be the one that has YSU "buzzing."xdrunkyx

DoubleE
December 18th, 2014, 06:52 PM
His brother may be the one that has YSU "buzzing."xdrunkyx

Ok i laughed

ValleyTalk
December 18th, 2014, 08:30 PM
@JoeScalzo1: Doesn't sound like Carl Pelini will be a part of Bo's #YSU staff. As someone who covered Carl at Fitch High, I am very excited to hear this.

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2014, 10:08 PM
That's cool. I assume that includes not hiring Retskis too. Don't think anyone here wants Cheech and Chong coaching YSU players !

Daved
December 19th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I thought the cheater in the sweatervest wasn't even allowed in the football building.....He takes off his sweatervest and wears a disguise---but keep this under your hat!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Best part? @FauxPelini will lve on!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/113078/college-footballs-favorite-parody-account-faux-pelini-will-live-on

Catbooster
December 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM

I agree, but if overused the profanity doesn't really underscore anything. If you're constantly cursing, it ends up having no significance and becomes simply a useless annoyance - similar to saying "you know" or "like" all the time.

I have a friend who says "like" all the time - like, I mean he like, says it, like, a lot sometimes - but it's a bad habit. I know he's intelligent, but he doesn't sound like the most self-aware, well-spoken person when he does that.

I think most of us would agree with this, but we'd draw the line at different places.

ysubigred
December 19th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Best part? @FauxPelini will lve on!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/113078/college-footballs-favorite-parody-account-faux-pelini-will-live-on

This is what disturbing about this:
If Pelini had moved to a more high-profile job as a head coach or stayed at a Power 5 school as a coordinator, Faux Pelini likely would have ceased to exist. The challenge of commenting on Nebraska as Pelini’s new team attracted attention would have proven too confusing, said the account operator.

So let me translate.. Because he went down to the FCS level where we all think it's a joke and nobody cares I'll keep the ****ing thing open because I'm a ****ing asshole Nebraska fan who needs my ass kicked xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Er.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/12/19/faux-pelini-will-live-on-despite-bo-pelinis-ouster-from-nebraska/

The man behind Faux, however, hopes YSU keeps its expectations in check. While the real Pelini will be very much involved, Faux Pelini has a different play.

“We could have some fun it,” Faux’s creator told ESPN. “But I hope this doesn’t shock anyone to hear that I will not be watching their games and tweeting along.”