PDA

View Full Version : 2014 FCS Playoffs: Quarterfinal Predictions

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Not sure if GetEmGriz has retired for the rest of the postseason or not so figured I'd get this thread started for him.

Matchups:

(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire
(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington
(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State
Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova

Who do you got?

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I'll take all the home teams.

(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire - I think this game is going to be closer than most expect as UTC's defense will come to play and will keep them in the game but UNH is able to avoid the Friday night quarterfinal upset trend over the last 2 years.

(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington - Game of the week IMO. I'm predicting a lot of points and yards being put up in a back and forth game but Vernon Adams and EWU get the ball last and win it at home on the red turf.

(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State - NDSU got pushed to the brink by SDSU last week and I think that's a good thing for them. I think the Bison are able to control this game from the start with their run game and the defense harasses Alex Ross and the CCU offense enough to give the Bison a comfortable win.

Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova - I keep picking against SHSU but I gotta stick with the Villanova team I picked in the bracket challenge. Not too confident in this pick but Villanova is at home and they have the best individual player in Robertson so that's how I'll justify my pick.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 01:35 PM
All 4 of the home teams are 7-0 at home so far this year.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM
My bracket challenge picks for the semis are:

Chattanooga
EWU
NDSU
Villanova

I'll stick with those. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Chalk

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM
UNH 31 UTC 28
Eastern Washington 30 ISU-rojo 24
NDSU 35 Coastal 20
Villanova 31 SHSU 21

No disrespect to Coastal, I think they are a legit top-10 team.

hebmskebm
December 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM
UNH 23 Chatt 17
EWU 35 ISU 34
NDSU 24 CCU 13
Nova 42 SHSU 38

Daytripper
December 9th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Keep picking against us.

UNH
ISU
NDSU
SHSU

Thunderstruck
December 9th, 2014, 02:16 PM
(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire- New Hampshire wins this one 31-27.
(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington- Eastern Washington, and the ugliest football field in history, get by ISU-red 38-30.
(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State- The Bison will not let the officials help determine the outcome of this game. Bison advance 38-10.
Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova- SHSU has a nice run going, too bad it ends in Philly. Nova wins 41-24.

Daytripper
December 9th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Does anybody know when was the last time an unseeded team won the national championship? Or has it never happened?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Does anybody know when was the last time an unseeded team won the national championship? Or has it never happened?

I believe JMU was unseeded in 2004. UMass was definitely unseeded in 1998.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Keep picking against us.

UNH
ISU
NDSU
SHSU
Is it perhaps time for a thread resurrection???

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?124281-Keep-Doubting-SHSU!!

Bisonator
December 9th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I'll take all the home teams.

(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire - I think this game is going to be closer than most expect as UTC's defense will come to play and will keep them in the game but UNH is able to avoid the Friday night quarterfinal upset trend over the last 2 years.

(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington - Game of the week IMO. I'm predicting a lot of points and yards being put up in a back and forth game but Vernon Adams and EWU get the ball last and win it at home on the red turf.

(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State - NDSU got pushed to the brink by SDSU last week and I think that's a good thing for them. I think the Bison are able to control this game from the start with their run game and the defense harasses Alex Ross and the CCU offense enough to give the Bison a comfortable win.

Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova - I keep picking against SHSU but I gotta stick with the Villanova team I picked in the bracket challenge. Not too confident in this pick but Villanova is at home and they have the best individual player in Robertson so that's how I'll justify my pick.

I think you hit the nail on the head Prof!xnodx

Daytripper
December 9th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Is it perhaps time for a thread resurrection???

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?124281-Keep-Doubting-SHSU!!

I'm not boohooing about lack of respect. I'm just basing it on the the picks on this thread. Keep picking against us. We hope to prove you wrong.

jmufan999
December 9th, 2014, 02:44 PM

JMU in 2004 was unseeded and is still the only team to win 3 straight road games on their way to a national title.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I'll take all 4 home teams but I wouldn't put money on EWU or Villanova, they have their hands full.

ysubigred
December 9th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Chatty 35- 14
NDSU 41-6
SHSU 38-35
ISU (r) 52-41

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM
UNH
NDSU
SHSU
EWU

Milktruck74
December 9th, 2014, 03:30 PM
So far only one pick for the Mocs...That's how I like it. A team that plays loose with nothing to lose usually plays well above their caliber.... I hope our kids have a blast playing on Friday night!

youngMOCSfan1886
December 9th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I'll take:

UTC- 100% homer pick
EWU- Vernon Adams is a beast
NDSU- closer than last year but still double digit victory
Nova- least confident pick, but Robertson is a difference maker

melloware13
December 9th, 2014, 03:38 PM
UNH, NDSU, and Nova are easy picks.

Blood Turf Game is probably a toss-up, and should be the best game of the weekend

Daytripper
December 9th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Blood Turf Game is probably a toss-up, and should be the best game of the weekend
xeyebrowx

HailSzczur
December 9th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I'm going to take

UNH
NDSU
ISUr
Nova

youngMOCSfan1886
December 9th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Is this one easy because that is your team or is it from a football in general perspective?

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Chatty
NDSU
EWU
SAM

http://www.redrif.com/images/ff/01-12/27/a_selection_of_the_most_hilarious_quotes_by_barney _stinso_4.gif

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 06:16 PM

I don't think Nova is an easy pick at all. Sammy can sneak up on you.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I don't think Nova is an easy pick at all. Sammy can sneak up on you.

K.C. won't sneak up on Talley. No way in hell.

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
UNH by 2 TDs 34-20
ISUr 38-31
NDSU 37-17
SHSU GWFG 31-28

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Is this one easy because that is your team or is it from a football in general perspective?

Mellow is actually a Delaware fan. Lots of posters have switched avatars for the playoffs.

McNeese75
December 9th, 2014, 09:28 PM

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2014, 09:44 PM
UNH 30 Chatty 27 - This is a very interesting game. I think being at home is the difference for the Wildcats....

EWU 34 Illinois State 30 - What Illinois State did to UNI last week shocked me. Still, I like the Eagles on the red turf. The winner of this game might be favored over UNH...

NDSU 31 CCU 24 - I think the Chanticleers are a really good team. They have the horses to beat this NDSU team. But once again, it's too hard to pick against the home team.

Villanova 38 SHSU 35 - I wanted to take SHSU but I think the Wildcats have just enough to scrape by at home. 'Nova must play better than the did last week if they want to advance imo. SHSU has the athletes to give 'Nova trouble. Robertson will drive the Bearkats crazy.....

WrenFGun
December 9th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Four really good games; I'll go chalk but I expect all four to be within 10 points at final.

Winindy
December 9th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Four really good games; I'll go chalk but I expect all four to be within 10 points at final.

Yep. I'm taking ISUr in a barn-burner, and the other home teams in tight games. I'd say the best chance for a 10+ point game would be NDSU over CCU.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2014, 10:20 PM
K.C. won't sneak up on Talley. No way in hell.

this is true, but KC has "southern speed" now..... this game is a real head scratcher....... who is Clenz picking? I'll go the other way haha

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I think Nova might be a bit overrated.... and Sammy will be heard from in this one

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Yep. I'm taking ISUr in a barn-burner, and the other home teams in tight games. I'd say the best chance for a 10+ point game would be NDSU over CCU.

No upsets, I expect all four home teams win. The best chance for a wide margin of victory would be E. WA over IL State.
If the Eagles get their groove going they could win by three scores on their ugly "Infernal" field.

tomq04
December 9th, 2014, 11:30 PM
This is what I WANT:
EWU
NDSU
UTC
SHSU

I expect all home teams to win.

katstrapper
December 10th, 2014, 01:23 AM
this is true, but KC has "southern speed" now..... this game is a real head scratcher....... who is Clenz picking? I'll go the other way haha

I watched the Liberty/Nova game and came away thinking that the SHSU speed and quickness could cause some problems. I am anxious to see the Nova QB in action, but he will need to have his head on a swivel watching for #92 PJ Hall. He is a one man wrecking crew.

Looking forward to this game.

Tribe4SF
December 10th, 2014, 03:35 AM
UNH 31-24
Illinois State 35-28
NDSU 41-30
Villanova 38-27

UNH Fanboi
December 10th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I'm surprised so many people are picking EWU after ISU steamrolled UNI. I think that game is the most likely "upset."

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I'm surprised so many people are picking EWU after ISU steamrolled UNI. I think that game is the most likely "upset."

Ill State is the real deal with Coprich and Roberson, plus their defense is pretty good. But with a healthy VA and playing at home, EWU will be tough to beat. Towson did it last year. This will be a good game.

bluehenbillk
December 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM
UNH
EWU
NDSU
SHSU

Catamount87
December 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM
(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire - Got to go with the fellow SoCon team here
(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington - should be a great game to watch
(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State - only because they are at home
Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova - my upset pick would be SHSU but 'Nova will prevail

Twentysix
December 10th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Matchups:

Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova - This one is really tough... I feel like SHSU will win...but they really shouldn't.

blackbeard
December 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM
New Hampshire
Illinois State
North Dakota State
Villanova

Twentysix
December 10th, 2014, 11:17 AM

It would only really be an upset because ISU-r is the away team. Honestly the seeds should be reversed.

tomq04
December 10th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Ill State is the real deal with Coprich and Roberson, plus their defense is pretty good. But with a healthy VA and playing at home, EWU will be tough to beat. Towson did it last year. This will be a good game.

People keep saying Towson beat us...we beat ourselves. The last team to beat us was SHSU x2. 2011/2012.

Spotting UW 21 points in the first 5 minutes still counts as beating ourselves.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 01:41 PM
People keep saying Towson beat us...we beat ourselves. The last team to beat us was SHSU x2. 2011/2012.

Your not allowed to do that. That's reserved for NDSU fans. xthumbsupx

Sammy94
December 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM
UNH
Ill. State
NDSU
SHSU

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2014, 05:27 PM
UNH
Illinois State
NDSU
Villanova

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM
(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire - Got to go with the fellow SoCon team here
(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington - should be a great game to watch
(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State - only because they are at home
Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova - my upset pick would be SHSU but 'Nova will prevail

Thanks for the confidence!!! and Congrats on the QB get...that is BIG!!!

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Not picking against Sam Houston again . . .

UNH
EWU
NDSU
SHSU

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Matchups:

Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova - This one is really tough... I feel like SHSU will win...but they really shouldn't.

I see I'm not the only one that's confused with the Nova Sammy game...... if only the game was a few years ago it would be easy just to pick the CAA team but times have changed and KC has transfers, a lot of transfers, (and I just came back to complain, not you don't think I'M just going to let you walk outta here now do ya punk,,,)

jmrepak
December 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I haven't said too much this week for 2 reasons. 1. I've been crazy busy. 2. I'm proud of my school and believe in their ability but am nervous this week. However, after 6 pages of the same wrong picks I guess I should kickoff the correct semifinal participants...

UNH
Ill St
Nova
and CCU

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Home teams go 2-2 this week.... I'm just not sure which two!!!

Red & Black
December 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Honestly the seeds should be reversed.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalm
December 10th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MVFC bias, and not without reason. Still, throw out the UW game and both teams are 11-1 with comparable wins. ISU has the better loss, but their OOC was much weaker too.

Cocky
December 11th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Matchups:

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 07:16 AM
MVFC bias, and not without reason. Still, throw out the UW game and both teams are 11-1 with comparable wins. ISU has the better loss, but their OOC was much weaker too.

Coprich and Roberson are the real deal. They will give EWU huge problems on defense. Either one could be interchangeable at #4 or #5 IMO.

This game, if the weather is fine, will be a 42-35 game or something like that IMO.

Lehigh'98
December 11th, 2014, 07:40 AM
UNH by 10, CC in an upset, SHSU by 14, ISUr by 7

deez_na
December 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Going big with 3 road wins, nice. I see 1 possibly 2 at most. I personally think all home teams win but SHSU or Il St might be a couple of road wins.

knucklehead
December 11th, 2014, 08:27 AM
New Hampshire.
EWU
NDSU
SHSU

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Very unlikely!

Catsfan90
December 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Decline to predict UNH vs Chatt due to obvious reasons.
ISU
NDSU
Villanova

Daytripper
December 11th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Decline to predict UNH vs Chatt due to obvious reasons.
ISU
NDSU
Villanova ?

Very disappointed in you.

UNH Fanboi
December 11th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Very unlikely!

I think it will be a closer game than last year though.

Catsfan90
December 11th, 2014, 09:13 AM
?

Very disappointed in you.

(I think that Sammy state wins this, But have to support the CAA!)

World
December 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM

RollBirds
December 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Chattanooga
ILSTU
NDSU
Nova

Griz23
December 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM

Daytripper
December 11th, 2014, 01:06 PM

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM

I can see all of that happening, except Sammy by 14..... if that happens Talley will retire

but I'm warming up to the Coastal upset, to bad they have to play in that loud barn with biased refs...

Lehigh'98
December 11th, 2014, 04:34 PM
If Sam Houston wins the title, do we have to de facto crown CS Pueblo??

Daytripper
December 11th, 2014, 04:35 PM
If Sam Houston wins the title, do we have to de facto crown CS Pueblo??

:(

FargoBison
December 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I like....

EWU...MVFC teams for some reason suck at the red turf. I think UNI was a game that ISUR was really up for at home since they did beat them in the regular season, honestly stopping UNI's offense is much easier than stopping EWU. I would love to see ISUR win but that damn red turf, if this game was anywhere else.....

Nova...But to me this game feels like it could go either way but when in doubt my playoff rule is to roll with the best player and that especially goes if that player is the QB. Robertson and the Wildcats it is.

UNH...I think Chatty's run ends here, should be a tight game since the Mocs are playing at a very high level but this is another match up where I think having home field is so big. UNH is very solid on their own turf.

NDSU....The Bison make it a home sweep. I think this is just one of those games of match ups, NDSU matches up really well against CCU's undersized defense. Plus you have the Bison at home, giving that defense a little extra edge.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I like....

EWU...MVFC teams for some reason suck at the red turf. I think UNI was a game that ISUR was really up for at home since they did beat them in the regular season, honestly stopping UNI's offense is much easier than stopping EWU. I would love to see ISUR win but that damn red turf, if this game was anywhere else.....

Nova...But to me this game feels like it could go either way but when in doubt my playoff rule is to roll with the best player and that especially goes if that player is the QB. Robertson and the Wildcats it is.

UNH...I think Chatty's run ends here, should be a tight game since the Mocs are playing at a very high level but this is another match up where I think having home field is so big. UNH is very solid on their own turf.

NDSU....The Bison make it a home sweep. I think this is just one of those games of match ups, NDSU matches up really well against CCU's undersized defense. Plus you have the Bison at home, giving that defense a little extra edge.

This right here!

The Bison might not run for 424, like last year, but there is no way the undersized CC D-line is going to overpower the Bison O-line.

I bet CC will crowd the box, especially in I-back formations to try and stop the run. I think the play-action pass is going to kill them.

Bisonoline
December 11th, 2014, 06:14 PM
This right here!

The Bison might not run for 424, like last year, but there is no way the undersized CC D-line is going to overpower the Bison O-line.

I bet CC will crowd the box, especially in I-back formations to try and stop the run. I think the play-action pass is going to kill them.

Coach K said their O-line is mammoth but they arent explosive off the line.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Coach K said their O-line is mammoth but they arent explosive off the line.

Watching the CC/Richmond game, #73 (IIRC) will be going against Kyle Emanuel. #73 was slow off the ball. CC better get him a little help from a TE or RB or Kyle will be in the backfield all game.

BucBisonAtLarge
December 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
UNH
ISUr
NDSU
Villanova

ElCid
December 11th, 2014, 09:10 PM
(8) Chattanooga @ (1) New Hampshire 35-27 - But my heart says Chatty
(5) Illinois State @ (4) Eastern Washington 41-34
(7) Coastal Carolina @ (2) North Dakota State 34-17
Sam Houston State @ (6) Villanova 31-27

At least these were my bracket scores when I picked them so I hope they are all close. As of today though, the ones I think could go the other way are Chatty and Ill St. As much as I like underdogs, I think NDSU will handle Coastal at home without drama. I think the closest spread is actually the Nova game but I think SHSU's run is done.

ming01
December 12th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Not sure if GetEmGriz has retired for the rest of the postseason or not so figured I'd get this thread started for him.

Matchups:

Who do you got?

Chatty 23 UNH 21
EWU 42 ISU 37
NDSU 37 CCU 17
Nova 26 SHSU 24

TheEagleSHSU
December 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM
New Hampshire.
EWU
NDSU
SHSU

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Chatt by >13 < 17
NDSU by 1 or by 35
SHSU by 3
ISUr by .000000001

tmcnova
December 13th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I haven't said too much this week for 2 reasons. 1. I've been crazy busy. 2. I'm proud of my school and believe in their ability but am nervous this week. However, after 6 pages of the same wrong picks I guess I should kickoff the correct semifinal participants...

UNH
Ill St
Nova
and CCU

I like these picks. See you next week in Villanova, Pa.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2014, 08:55 AM

people keep saying that Delaware beat themselves in the 2010 title game not to mention they stopped you on 4th and 1, but in the end Delaware lost that game...... and you lost to Towson.