PDA

View Full Version : Washington Grizzly Stadium

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Who is with me on being sick and tired of hearing how great of a stadium that montana has? yes, i know it is a great stadium:bow: but I have heard enough of that!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Proud Griz Man
November 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I am tired of Joe Mays too. Who is with me?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizzle G
November 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I'd rather watch football in a dome xcoffeex

GrizRchattybound
November 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I am tired of Joe Mays too. Who is with me?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ya..... xidiotx

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Who is with me on being sick and tired of hearing how great of a stadium that montana has? yes, i know it is a great stadium:bow: but I have heard enough of that!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

The funny thing about that is, you began a thread complaining about the posts about Washington-Grizzly Stadium...

And you made a post about Washington-Grizzly Stadium :smiley_wi

ursus arctos horribilis
November 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I am tired of it too as we should not have to tell everyone that it is the greatest place on planet earth. Everyone learns at different rates though so it has to be repeated several times.

The Gadfly
November 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Real men don't play in domes.:nod:

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
And how long have you been hearing about him?

Hold on, I am with you on the inside deal. I loved watching football at the old Dakotah Field where we won 8 national championships. Lovly history there and we are now trying to get some history in the FFD.

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM
And how long have you been hearing about him?

Hold on, I am with you on the inside deal. I loved watching football at the old Dakotah Field where we won 8 national championships. Lovly history there and we are now trying to get some history in the FFD.

Was it really spelled Dakotah?

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
It seems to have 3 ways of spelling it. I spell it Dakotah and it can be spelled Dakota or Dacohtah.:nod: :nod: :nod:

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
It seems to have 3 ways of spelling it. I spell it Dakotah and it can be spelled Dakota or Dacohtah.:nod: :nod: :nod:

Man you Dakotans are weird. :D

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Well If you don't like Washington-Griz and are sick of hearing about it, I can get annoying and start topics about Stambaugh Stadium!!!!

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6796/ysustadiummp6.jpg

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM
ha, didnt know that that particular stand went up so high.

Proud Griz Man
November 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
ha, didnt know that that particular stand went up so high.

Wow. How many little Joe Mays can you fit in that Ice Castle?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizo406
November 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Who's with you?

I'd say all the dis-enfranchised folks that think they have a right to be included in the playoffs, despite the rules.
http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/shsu/normal_12-11-2004-013.jpg
Go Bisons!

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I like this picture better... 21,000 Joe May's would be a horrible sight though!

http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/102106mp_uni_youngstown_24.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
November 13th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I have several different ways of spelling many werdz that I use also.

MTGrizzFan
November 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I like this picture better... 21,000 Joe May's would be a horrible sight though!

http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/102106mp_uni_youngstown_24.jpg

nice stadium....football should be played outdoors

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 07:59 PM
geez, i started this thing just for fun to see the responses i get. seems like this is turning into smack on NDSU for not having an outdoors stadium.

I think they built the dome because of all the old farts that come to the games and sit. hell, i envy an outdoors stadium.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Washington Grizz is a hell of stadium let the Griz fans brag about it as much as they want. I am more amazed at the fact a group of fans can take some many pictures of one stadium then I am annoyed at seeing it over and over again since it's usually a different picture. I sometimes do wonder if Griz fans carry around pictures of their stadium in their wallets because they seem to love their stadium that much but it never annoys me.

Sam_Kats
November 13th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Both schools are fortunate enough to be in a state where it's the ONLY SHOW IN TOWN!!

Try boosting attendance in a market with Univ of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, UTEP, Univ of Houston, Rice, TCU...and three other I-AA schools in your conference.

On a side note, I see some Bearkat Orange in that photo of Wa-Griz...:hurray:

Grizo406
November 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM

That you do, Sam_Kats...one of my fondest memories at Washington/Grizzly!:thumbsup:

Sam_Kats
November 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that? A little revenge??:bawling:

GrizRchattybound
November 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that? A little revenge??:bawling:

We got Blasted 12 weeks before that game....that's what made it so sweet.

The Griz fans waited for the football Gods to give us that day...and it came. Call it a "Revenge" game of sorts, who cares...it was part of it. However the win was bigger than that word.

Great game, great teams, great day, great rivalry. I hope we see you or McTeam in WA-Griz- all good people.

Sam_Kats
November 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Likewise...when the Griz Nation came to Texas, several stopped by our tailgate area and enjoyed some good ol' TX deer sausage and talked some pigskin.

Both were great games - didn't make the trip to Missoula, but I do remember (sort of) watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings and drowning my sorrows with the wife and some college buddies when Long threw that pick at the end. xprost2x

No_Skill
November 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Both schools are fortunate enough to be in a state where it's the ONLY SHOW IN TOWN!!

Try boosting attendance in a market with Univ of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, UTEP, Univ of Houston, Rice, TCU...and three other I-AA schools in your conference.

This is the only intelligent post in this thread.

Grizo406
November 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I sometimes do wonder if Griz fans carry around pictures of their stadium in their wallets because they seem to love their stadium that much but it never annoys me.

Not a stadium pic, but this one is firmly placed in my wallet...
http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/jmu/normal_egriz26.jpg

Rabbit3467
November 13th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I like this pic of Wash-Griz stadium. It was from 2005 when the Jacks lost 7-0. I took this pic when the Jacks scored a TD that would have tied the game, but was called back because the QB was over the line of scrimmage (he was but the play was over before the flag came out). The best part of pic is all the yellow and blue raincoats (it was raining the whole game). It looked like there was almost more jackrabbit fans than griz fans.

Rabbit3467
November 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I like this pic of Washington-Griz stadium. It was taken in 2005 when the Jacks scored a TD that would have tied the game at 7-7, but was called back because the QB was across the line of scrimmage (he was, but the flag wasnt thrown until after the TD was called). The best part of the pic is that it was raining all day, and alot of the fans were wearing blue and yellow rain jackets. It looked like there were more jackrabbit fans in the stadium than griz fans.

TheBisonator
November 13th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I like this pic of Washington-Griz stadium. It was taken in 2005 when the Jacks scored a TD that would have tied the game at 7-7, but was called back because the QB was across the line of scrimmage (he was, but the flag wasnt thrown until after the TD was called). The best part of the pic is that it was raining all day, and alot of the fans were wearing blue and yellow rain jackets. It looked like there were more jackrabbit fans in the stadium than griz fans.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3616&stc=1&d=1163482245

LOL That picture is funny as hell. You're absolutely right about that one!!!xlolx

WYOBISONMAN
November 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Real men don't play in domes.:nod:

Don't even go there......some one from the Low Country of South Carolina is not qualified to comment on November football played outside in Fargo.......:eyebrow:

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Don't even go there......some one from the Low Country of South Carolina is not qualified to comment on November football played outside in Fargo.......:eyebrow:

Just ask Virginia Union 1982, and Towson St 1983. Couple of cold playoff games. They opened the Bison Sports Arena for fans to warm-up at the half.

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Well If you don't like Washington-Griz and are sick of hearing about it, I can get annoying and start topics about Stambaugh Stadium!!!!

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6796/ysustadiummp6.jpg
Has there been any talk of putting a bowl end in that stadium? Man that would rival Wash-Griz if you did. Nice stadium anyway.

GrizFoo
November 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Another case of Griz envy. I for one, am sick of browsing message boards and seeing ndsu fans posting how UM is scared to play them...
It makes me feel wierd, get over your infatuation with the Griz, you have a team of your own that is worthy of your posts, why waste them on smacking the Griz.

CopperCat
November 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Another case of Griz envy. I for one, am sick of browsing message boards and seeing ndsu fans posting how UM is scared to play them...
It makes me feel wierd, get over your infatuation with the Griz, you have a team of your own that is worthy of your posts, why waste them on smacking the Griz.

This website has been overrun with Griz posts, so maybe there is some merit to his statement.

Griz envy? Whatever.

cu@wgs
November 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM
One can not duplicate with facilities what the Griz have. Actually every school with a team has it some have just not found it yet. True its a nice stadium but its what goes on in the stadium, around the stadium and in the minds of all of us who start getting ready for a game on Sunday the week before that makes it what it is. I'd like to see the Fargo dome in person and witness a game, I'd like to go to Statesboro, UNI, and the Ivies but the feel as a visitor doesn't compare to the feel of the home team and fans that you have sat by and witnessed games with for the past umpteen years. Traditions are what makes it great both winning, bands, cheers etc.... It does help though when the field is completely enclosed with fans on all sides..

GrizFoo
November 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
This website has been overrun with Griz posts, so maybe there is some merit to his statement.

Griz envy? Whatever.

I don't think NDSU wants or needs a cat coming to their defense. Besides, if it weren't for their strange infatuation with the Griz they would be directing their smack to the team that actually bought out the game with them, rather than a team who bought out their friends to the south.

TheBisonator
November 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM
One can not duplicate with facilities what the Griz have. Actually every school with a team has it some have just not found it yet. True its a nice stadium but its what goes on in the stadium, around the stadium and in the minds of all of us who start getting ready for a game on Sunday the week before that makes it what it is. I'd like to see the Fargo dome in person and witness a game, I'd like to go to Statesboro, UNI, and the Ivies but the feel as a visitor doesn't compare to the feel of the home team and fans that you have sat by and witnessed games with for the past umpteen years. Traditions are what makes it great both winning, bands, cheers etc.... It does help though when the field is completely enclosed with fans on all sides..

It has been said that NDSU has the best pre-game team intro in all of college football. You have to go to a Bison game to see what I mean.

Look at NDSUFREAK10's avatar for a tiny clue.

GrizFoo
November 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Someone else described the Bison intro in another thread. It does sound bad azz. And fireworks? Kind of strange in doors, but killer none the less.

No smack intended, but indoor football is just odd. I suppose the bigger the building the less strange is seems. Also, I suppose you get used to it and forget you are even inside, after a while.

putter
November 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Washington Grizz is a hell of stadium let the Griz fans brag about it as much as they want. I am more amazed at the fact a group of fans can take some many pictures of one stadium then I am annoyed at seeing it over and over again since it's usually a different picture. I sometimes do wonder if Griz fans carry around pictures of their stadium in their wallets because they seem to love their stadium that much but it never annoys me.

What! We have whole photo albums!! You know:

1) The beginning, stadium being built
2) The first expansion, north & south endzones
3) The second expansion, more north endzone seats
4) New sprint turf for the field!!

Our little baby, growing up before our eyes!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GtFllsGriz
November 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I hate to upset all you "outside is best" but since I got older I watch the games sober, which means I get colder! That Fargo dome don't look so bad to me in December. It will happen to you to!!!! Don't laugh!

FlyYtown
November 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Has there been any talk of putting a bowl end in that stadium? Man that would rival Wash-Griz if you did. Nice stadium anyway.
Believe it or not: YES.
Back in the 90s when we were looking to go to the MAC they had drawings made with a bowl from the small side to the big size near the Stadium. Problem is they'd have to close the road behind it and it would not be the best investment when the foundation has been set to expand the smaller stands.

I will call down at YSU to see if they can find me the drawings of it, I will post it on here when I do!

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM
What! We have whole photo albums!! You know:

1) The beginning, stadium being built
2) The first expansion, north & south endzones
3) The second expansion, more north endzone seats
4) New sprint turf for the field!!

Our little baby, growing up before our eyes!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

When was Washington-Griz built. I have a postcard from the 1940's of Montana's football stadium. Is that Dornblaser Stadium? Is the stadium still in the same location?

*Noticed Jack Elway was an assistant in 1970 too.

shakdaddy3
November 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM
the people not with are the same ones that are sick of hearing about the unfair IAA provisional rule preventing NDSU from the playoffs...

i actually enjoy hearing and looking at montana's stadium and i hope i can visit there one day... maybe for a playoff game.. maybe this year... who knows? but im pretty jealous... in a good way

as for NDSU's intro and stuff.. is there a video or something... interested in seeing it...

p.s. i have nothing against domes except ones with the really crappy astro-turf that is more like concrete

putter
November 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM
When was Washington-Griz built. I have a postcard from the 1940's of Montana's football stadium. Is that Dornblaser Stadium? Is the stadium still in the same location?

Wash/Griz was built in 1986 and I believe about 1/2 of the games that year were played there. Yes, I think the picture would be Dornblazer and that field would not even be considered a decent high school field today. Some people talk about how good Montana has it but it was not all that long ago that it was not so good with not very good facilities.

Proud Griz Man
November 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM

The 1940's? OLD Dornblaser Stadium was located where the UM Library is, immediately behind Main Hall. I have seen pictures.

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM
The 1940's? OLD Dornblaser Stadium was located where the UM Library is, immediately behind Main Hall. I have seen pictures.
Would be cool to see the pictures if anyone still has them, its fun to look back in History and see what it was like.

GreenDay17
November 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I played at Dornblaser Stadium in 1985 (Spokane Falls CC vs UM JV's), and you are correct Putter - my HS stadium was much nicer as was our stadium at Spokane Falls.

Times have certainly changed in Missoula!!;)

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Would be cool to see the pictures if anyone still has them, its fun to look back in History and see what it was like.

I could scan the postcard, but I don't have a webhost for the scan.:(

Proud Griz Man
November 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM

http://www.missoulian.com/specials/UM-MSU100/G64-70.html

It says 1966 was the last Griz-Cat game played at old Dornblaser, so the new Dornblaser opened up in 1967 or 1968.

And here is one small picture of the old stadium (half-way down the page), facing north-west:

http://www2.umt.edu/comm/f04/artifacts.shtml

GrizDen
November 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I kindly invite any I-AA fan to make a trip to Missoula to watch a game. You can see for yourself what all the hype is about. It's not hype, it's a great experience.

The one stadium I'm most interested in going to that I haven't seen a game at is Harvard. Lot's of history there, first official stadium built for football, in a neighborhood ala Wrigley Field.

grizbeer
November 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Pic of WA-Griz with grass endzone seating:

http://www.lapayne.com/prodimages/SP_CFB_056_SM.jpg

GrizCountry
November 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
http://www.missoulian.com/specials/UM-MSU100/G64-70.html

It says 1966 was the last Griz-Cat game played at old Dornblaser, so the new Dornblaser opened up in 1967 or 1968.

And here is one small picture of the old stadium (half-way down the page), facing north-west:

http://www2.umt.edu/comm/f04/artifacts.shtml

Ahh, the good old days at old Dornblaser. Saw some great players on that field, mostly from other teams. Roy Shivers, Utah and later of the St. Louis Cards and "Thunder"Ray McDonald, Idaho, a man among boys, were two great running backs that stand out. Willie Jones, a 5' 6'' 160lb.scatback for Montana with his 9.9 speed was also exciting to watch. Enjoyed some great parties in the stands, some of which I have little recall, as well.

Old Dornblaser is found in the second link above if you scroll down.

griz8791
November 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
One of my pet peeves is Griz fans endlessly bragging up Wa-Griz on this message board. So along comes an NDSU guy, of all people, and opens up a whole thread about it. Nice. I'd actually be embarrassed if the guy hadn't asked for it.

Chi-towngrizzly
November 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Ahh, the good old days at old Dornblaser. Saw some great players on that field, mostly from other teams. Roy Shivers, Utah and later of the St. Louis Cards and "Thunder"Ray McDonald, Idaho, a man among boys, were two great running backs that stand out. Willie Jones, a 5' 6'' 160lb.scatback for Montana with his 9.9 speed was also exciting to watch. Enjoyed some great parties in the stands, some of which I have little recall, as well.

Old Dornblaser is found in the second link above if you scroll down.

I think old Dornblaser looked awesome right next to Schreiber and Main Hall. I can only dream about what it would have looked like if they would have keep expanding and adding to it like Wash-Griz. I can't believe we were once in the same conference as USC and UCLA.

There are priceless pictures of Old Griz football in the old "Sentinal" year books. I believe they stopped publishing them in the '70s. My fraternity library had every year going back to 1903. I think you can also find copies in Mansfield. For those so inclined, the search is more than worth it.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM
as for NDSU's intro and stuff.. is there a video or something... interested in seeing it...

p.s. i have nothing against domes except ones with the really crappy astro-turf that is more like concrete

Oh yeah there is a video. All the lights go off and the 4 jumbo screens on the corners of the dome all have a "pump up video" of sorts. This years starts in western ND and travels through Dickinsin Bismark Cass to name a few and then it goes into the FFD. After that it shows the team coming out of the locker room and then the fireworks go off when they sprint off on to the "field". It is really an awesome pre game. Every time it gives me goosebumbs.

The turf we have is a softer one. It isnt has hard as they used to be.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
One of my pet peeves is Griz fans endlessly bragging up Wa-Griz on this message board. So along comes an NDSU guy, of all people, and opens up a whole thread about it. Nice. I'd actually be embarrassed if the guy hadn't asked for it.

If you saw a reply I put on earlier, I did it to see what replies I would get and what would be said.

griz8791
November 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah there is a video. All the lights go off and the 4 jumbo screens on the corners of the dome all have a "pump up video" of sorts. This years starts in western ND and travels through Dickinsin Bismark Cass to name a few and then it goes into the FFD. After that it shows the team coming out of the locker room and then the fireworks go off when they sprint off on to the "field". It is really an awesome pre game. Every time it gives me goosebumbs . . . .

Somebody post a link to it, please. I love these videos.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM
http://dp3.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/archives/gpn/sports/glass_plates/b824c-sm.jpg

that is old Dakotah Field

http://dp3.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/archives/gpn/sports/glass_plates/b823d-ico.jpg
1922!!!

I can't find a line to the video. I'm not sure there is one.

Proud Griz Man
November 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Is Joe Mays in those old photos? :read:

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Is Joe Mays in those old photos? :read:

Oh, he's every where.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=NDSUFREAK10]that is old Dakotah Field[\QUOTE]

This is the Memorial Union site prior to being moved to the north part of campus.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
oh, ok. my bad.

griz8791
November 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I could scan the postcard, but I don't have a webhost for the scan.:(

I asked Gil Dobie to send me jpegs of his postcards so I could upload them to my webhosting service and then post links. Here's the old on-campus stadium in Fargo:

http://ct.pbase.com/g6/72/540272/2/70237927.PdCuPFLi.jpg

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
can't see it.

griz8791
November 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
And here is Gil Dobie's postcard of the old on-campus Dornblaser:

http://ct.pbase.com/g6/72/540272/2/70237924.eRSTny8X.jpg

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
now i got it

griz8791
November 14th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I apologize to anyone who is having trouble trying to view the two postcards upthread. Something about the link seems unstable. Right now the two images show, but when I log out of AGS and come back, they're gone. Don't know what the deal is -- if anybody has suggestions, please PM me.

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for posting those, I have never seen either one. Many Many thanks that is awesome.

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Hey Gil, what is the date of the photo of NDSU's old stadium? Its cool to see old Main in that photo along with the old power plant and you can even see the old airport up at the top of the photo. Wow how things have changed. All those fields are all gone and the city has long since swallowed them up.

NDSUFREAK
November 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, things have sure changed a lot.

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hey Gil, what is the date of the photo of NDSU's old stadium? Its cool to see old Main in that photo along with the old power plant and you can even see the old airport up at the top of the photo. Wow how things have changed. All those fields are all gone and the city has long since swallowed them up.

It's postmarked 1948, but could be earlier.

Rabbit3467
November 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Dont want to be rude, but I dont see how NDSU's entrance could be the greatest. I have to admit it is quite cool (I have seen it in person), but it was copied from Nebraska. They do the same tunnel video as NDSU. I dont know what coach might have brought it there, maybe its coincidental. :smiley_wi

I still like the intro though.

TheBisonator
November 14th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Dont want to be rude, but I dont see how NDSU's entrance could be the greatest. I have to admit it is quite cool (I have seen it in person), but it was copied from Nebraska. They do the same tunnel video as NDSU. I dont know what coach might have brought it there, maybe its coincidental. :smiley_wi

I still like the intro though.

The tunnel video was around when Babich was still head coach.

NDSUFREAK
November 15th, 2006, 05:09 PM
The tunnel video was around when Babich was still head coach.

That is true.:nod: