PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Selection Committee did a solid job

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM
All of the seeds except one won. And all but two of the seeds won by more than two scores, so I'd have to think they would have won on the road as well.

SHSU is the lone real upset, and I think they are a team that may have been taken a bit lightly. I don't think Jacksonville State was a bad team at all, but SHSU may have been a bit overlooked, and are better than they get credit for.

In any case, congrats to all of the teams that move on. And I gotta say, SDSU and Liberty played tough. Regionalization may suck, but those games were incredible. The parts of the Bison/Jackrabbits game was incredible. Probably the best game of the day, IMO.

lionsrking2
December 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM
All of the seeds except one won. And all but two of the seeds won by more than two scores, so I'd have to think they would have won on the road as well.

SHSU is the lone real upset, and I think they are a team that may have been taken a bit lightly. I don't think Jacksonville State was a bad team at all, but SHSU may have been a bit overlooked, and are better than they get credit for.

In any case, congrats to all of the teams that move on. And I gotta say, SDSU and Liberty played tough. Regionalization may suck, but those games were incredible. The parts of the Bison/Jackrabbits game was incredible. Probably the best game of the day, IMO.

I think they did an awful job. We shouldn't have played Sam in the first round and NDSU shouldn't have been matched up with SDSU in round two. I agree the games were great but shouldn't have taken place until the quarters.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I think they did an awful job. We shouldn't have played Sam in the first round and NDSU shouldn't have been matched up with SDSU in round two. I agree the games were great but shouldn't have taken place until the quarters.

I understand the frustration of regionalization. My point was more concerning the fact that the teams they chose to be seeds won their games for the most part, and the majority won handily.

I don't think in any bracket, the committee could make everyone happy. I wasn't a huge fan of having to play UM with only one game between them last time. But I think regionalization is an approach that will be around for us to hate for a long time. Understanding it is part of the territory, they did a solid job, at least on choosing seeds.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Since having 8 seeds, it's not like it's been terrible. The results are:
2014 7 of 8
2013 5 of 8
2012 5 of 8
I was just surprised there weren't a few more upsets.

lionsrking2
December 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I understand the frustration of regionalization. My point was more concerning the fact that the teams they chose to be seeds won their games for the most part, and the majority won handily.

I don't think in any bracket, the committee could make everyone happy. I wasn't a huge fan of having to play UM with only one game between them last time. But I think regionalization is an approach that will be around for us to hate for a long time. Understanding it is part of the territory, they did a solid job, at least on choosing seeds.

I hear ya but we should have had a home game, and would have had they not paired us with SHSU. They could have sent someone else to them and somebody else to us and no one would have said a word.

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Really? I've been on the hey that's the way it is train for a while now, but try having to play at the champions place two out of three years in the second round when they are your rivals. And lose like we did today. Then go post this. Sorry I'm bitter right now but it's hard to not be screaming **** regionalization after a game like today.

Bisonwinagn
December 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
2014 7 of 8
2013 5 of 8
2012 5 of 8

The problem with your theory is the valley teams and Montana very well could have upset other teams. Just look at the GPI and you will have your answer on where teams should be seated and where they should play. Very simple solution.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Really? I've been on the hey that's the way it is train for a while now, but try having to play at the champions place two out of three years in the second round when they are your rivals. And lose like we did today. Then go post this. Sorry I'm bitter right now but it's hard to not be screaming **** regionalization after a game like today.

I'm not propping up regionalization. You guys played a solid game against MSU in adverse conditions, and I was actually rooting for you against NDSU. You guys almost had that game. I'd be bitter in your shoes as well. But that wasn't the point of the OP. We already know regionalization sucks for the fans. But that's a bigger issue than whether the committee chose the right teams to seed within the context of their picks.

Keep in mind, the MVFC had five teams in the playoffs, all going to this round. Conference opponents were going to play each other, no matter what. You still had to go through the best to win, and unfortunately for you guys, NDSU was able to pull out the win.

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM
When four out of five meet in the second round you didn't exactly bend over backwards to avoid it.

lionsrking2
December 6th, 2014, 07:28 PM
The problem with your theory is the valley teams and Montana very well could have upset other teams. Just look at the GPI and you will have your answer on where teams should be seated and where they should play. Very simple solution.

We could have beaten somebody today as well.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM

What's my theory? I'm just stating an observation.

You still have to beat the teams in front of you. So those teams could get to later rounds and then lose? They could have also played other seeds and lost. What's the point of the playoffs? To last as long as possible before losing? Or to win a championship?

Besides, why is this about where teams should play? I have never said they chose the right locations to send other teams to. Don't know why people keep thinking I'm championing regionalization.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
When four out of five meet in the second round you didn't exactly bend over backwards to avoid it.

Maybe someone should start a thread about the travesty of regionalization. Just for the record, I understand why regionalization happens, and think it sucks.

What do you think about their choices on what teams to seed?

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2014, 07:34 PM
The seeds won, so theoretically they did well. However with some lower seeds being fed weaker teams it makes it easy to look like they were correct as well.

SIUSalukiFan
December 6th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I think the seeds were probably pretty solid.

I think it would be interesting to have the field seeded 1-24 and after the first-round game set matchups based on seeds instead of a set geographical bracket. It's a shame that Montana/Eastern Washington, SDSU/NDSU and UNI/Illinois State had to meet in this round solely due to where they are located.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:42 PM
The seeds won, so theoretically they did well. However with some lower seeds being fed weaker teams it makes it easy to look like they were correct as well.

I could see SDSU having come up to EWU. Other than that, I'm not sure where else they could have gone...considering the committees mindset about regionalization. And I think the SDSU team that played today would have been very tough to beat.

But then there were would still be challenges with them trying to save travel dollars and avoiding conference teams playing each other for other MVFC teams.

In any case, I get your frustration, and agree that you guys, and SLU could have won some other games in the playoff field.

dudeitsaid
December 6th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I think the seeds were probably pretty solid.

I think it would be interesting to have the field seeded 1-24 and after the first-round game set matchups based on seeds instead of a set geographical bracket. It's a shame that Montana/Eastern Washington, SDSU/NDSU and UNI/Illinois State had to meet in this round solely due to where they are located.

I agree with this. That would be the best way to build the bracket, IMO. I'd love to see that!

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I could see SDSU having come up to EWU. Other than that, I'm not sure where else they could have gone...considering the committees mindset about regionalization. And I think the SDSU team that played today would have been very tough to beat.

But then there were would still be challenges with them trying to save travel dollars and avoiding conference teams playing each other for other MVFC teams.

In any case, I get your frustration, and agree that you guys, and SLU could have won some other games in the playoff field.

I was more referencing the 8 seed getting to play the only 5 loss team in the field I guess. But it boils down to beating a seed in the second round for all unseeded teams either way. Losing to ndsu just hurts more. If we lost like that to someone else I would be taking this better.

FargoBison
December 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Maybe they should seed 12 teams. Would still allow regionalization but a team like SDSU isn't going on the road right away, nor are they matched up with NDSU in the second round.

Houndawg
December 6th, 2014, 08:09 PM

And some of those wouldn't have been upsets.

stevdock
December 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM
While yes the 8 seeds did well today, I don't think we have the 8 best teams left. And that is the problem with this weekend's games. I bet SDSU would have easily beaten (3+ TD) half of the playoff teams today. I'm just very thankful we pulled it out today.

BattinRam
December 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I just had hoped they could have moved SD St. or UNI to the Villanova side of the bracket instead of bunching most of the MVFC teams
together in one side of the bracket. If one conference is going to have 4 or more teams I think the commitee should try to spread them
around throughout the bracket.

tribefan40
December 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
I just had hoped they could have moved SD St. or UNI to the Villanova side of the bracket instead of bunching most of the MVFC teams
together in one side of the bracket. If one conference is going to have 4 or more teams I think the commitee should try to spread them
around throughout the bracket.

Might want to take another look at the brackets - I think they did a fairly good job of distributing teams from the "power conferences," with some exceptions, of course. Tough to be completely happy with any bracket that's as watered down as it will be with 24 teams.

Red & Black
December 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM

Regionalization was a common theme this year. MVFC, Big Sky, Southland, all had intra-conference matchups. I don't like it, either, but it was more than just a Valley/Southland thing.

Red & Black
December 6th, 2014, 11:25 PM
While yes the 8 seeds did well today, I don't think we have the 8 best teams left. And that is the problem with this weekend's games. I bet SDSU would have easily beaten (3+ TD) half of the playoff teams today. I'm just very thankful we pulled it out today.

Who do you see as the 8 best teams?

tomq04
December 6th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Sdsu vs ewu and Mt vs ndsu would have been better games today...same results though i expect.

FargoBison
December 6th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Who do you see as the 8 best teams?

I will take SDSU over Chatty all day.

Outside of that I didn't have a lot of issues with their seeding.

Red & Black
December 6th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Sdsu vs ewu and Mt vs ndsu would have been better games today...same results though i expect.

Seems that would have been the better way to do things...but of course, when you can send one of those teams west on I-90 for three hours on a bus, it wasn't happening. Not sure what the distance is between Fargo and Brookings is, but certainly a lot closer than Cheney and Brookings or Missoula and Fargo.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2014, 07:35 AM

This is a very near sighted argument. Of course the selection committee is going to look like they did a nice job. The seeded teams always play at home. You think outcomes of these games wouldn't have been different outside the Fargo Dome for SDSU, or at WaGriz for Eastern Washington? Perhaps Indiana State maybe fares better with a week off and a home game? Im not arguing whether or not these teams deserved seeds over others but to say the selection committee did a great job based on results is kind of weird. Of course they look good today, they all played at home against teams that played last week while they prepared and rested.

Playoffs are broke, get rid of the meac's, pioneers, go back to 16 teams, rank them from top to bottom, and for crying out loud, stop giving the OVC SEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Enough crying! If this keeps up we'll have Fordham in here complaining they should have had a seed and not been sent to Durham. If you want a better system then find a way to pay for it. Cry all you want about the NCAA but we have met the enemy, and he is us.

TypicalTribe
December 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM
THe worst thing about moving to 24 teams is that it allowed the conference matchups to happen one round sooner. They have always been part of the playoffs, but they never used to happen before the quarterfinals. There's no reason that any team, seeded or not, should play their first playoff game against a conference opponent.

Redbird Recon
December 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
2014 7 of 8
2013 5 of 8
2012 5 of 8
There were only 5 seeded team in 2012.

katstrapper
December 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM

I didn't hear anyone complaining last year when SELA knocked out Sam Houston in the second round in HAMMOND!!

YoUDeeMan
December 7th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Why does anyone think a 4 (now 5) loss Montana would have beaten anyone else in the field yesterday? Historically, they fail on the road, and they didn't beat anyone of note this year. That wasn't a final 8 team by any standard.

The Trees were supposed to be a solid team from the MVFC that was gong to show the outsiders how deep their league was...but their one dimensional team got absolutely smoked by a 3 loss SoCon team. 178 yards of offense? TOP 43 to 17? Are you kidding me? xlolx

Right now we're just about where we should be. Montana would not have beaten UNH, NDSU, EWU, ISU, nova, Chatty, Coastal (remember last year's game, Griz fans), nor SHSU. SDSU probably would not have beaten them either, as their defense demonstrated last week.

lionsrking2
December 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I didn't hear anyone complaining last year when SELA knocked out Sam Houston in the second round in HAMMOND!!

Your memory is short. We never should have been paired with you guys last year either. Doesn't matter who wins or loses, conference teams shouldn't play each other before quarters unless it's unavoidable.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Move on, my friend. We can complain all we want about regionalization, but nothing will change as long as most all FCS football programs are losing money.

SUPharmacist
December 7th, 2014, 11:00 AM

While there are issues due to regionalization in terms of which teams play which seeds, overall I think the final eight would have looked quite similar regardless. Watching the valley play more than other conferences has created a warped perspective for many Valley fans. While I don't question if it was the best conference you had two dominant teams, followed by inconsistent teams with a ton of potential. UNI had their stretch where they looked unbeatable, but their very questionable offense (probably a lot to do with playcalling and QB selection) left them vulnerable against anyone if the defense had an off day (I don't think they would have been blown out by the other seeds and they had the potential to beat any of them, I would not have been stunned by a loss against the other teams). As for SDSU, I respect the heck out of the team, but their defense was inconsistent, and would have given them trouble against some of the stronger offensive teams (see EWU last year). As many of you have pointed out, regionalization stinks for a lot of conferences, but if you want to be the champions you have to beat whoever is in front of you.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM
We could have beaten somebody today as well.

If you would've beaten Sam Houston, your problems would have been solved.

Of course, Had you played them in the regular season, you'd have gotten in as a 7-4. at large, and you'd have likely drawn a higher seed, with the same results...

Red & Black
December 7th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Why does anyone think a 4 (now 5) loss Montana would have beaten anyone else in the field yesterday? Historically, they fail on the road, and they didn't beat anyone of note this year. That wasn't a final 8 team by any standard.

The Trees were supposed to be a solid team from the MVFC that was gong to show the outsiders how deep their league was...but their one dimensional team got absolutely smoked by a 3 loss SoCon team. 178 yards of offense? TOP 43 to 17? Are you kidding me? xlolx

Right now we're just about where we should be. Montana would not have beaten UNH, NDSU, EWU, ISU, nova, Chatty, Coastal (remember last year's game, Griz fans), nor SHSU. SDSU probably would not have beaten them either, as their defense demonstrated last week.

Agreed.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I am not sure ISUB was a solid team, they struggled all year against run and running the football. They got beat by a non-playoff team in their final regular season game, they were a ways behind SDSU and UNI in my opinion. The only reason they got into the field was because the bubble was so bad, they were a team that lost five regular season games.

Once SDSU got Sumner back they were every bit as good as EWU. Great offense with a questionable at times defense.

kalm
December 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Agree completely with Cluck and the Dude here. Home field and byes are rewards for winning and having decent attendance. SDSU, SELU, etc did not earn a better path.

And FWIW, I don't have a problem with conference re-matches. I lived meeting the Griz yesterday and appreciate their fans not complaining about the matchup.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM
If SELA had actually played SHSU during the season, I'd be somewhat sympathetic. Considering that the two didn't play, his whining about not playing a conference mate until later in the post season has no actual merit.

Griz23
December 7th, 2014, 02:26 PM

you don't know that..... you can stipulate anything that can't be proven...so what if a better CC team beat the griz at home...it was a great matchup and a pretty good game...bet the CC players of that game will be telling the grand kids about the time they played in -20 degree weather at WaGriz and gave 'em a good ol carolina butt whuppin'... thoes sort of games are great for the FCS.

Grizzlies82
December 7th, 2014, 06:08 PM
If SELA had actually played SHSU during the season, I'd be somewhat sympathetic. Considering that the two didn't play, his whining about not playing a conference mate until later in the post season has no actual merit.

Fully agree. As long as there are these over sized conferences, and conference foes who have not played during the season, it is actually appropriate to match them in the playoffs. It settles the uncertainty as to whom was the actual conference champ. Though the purpose of the playoffs is to determine 'the' National Champion. To be that champ you beat all comers. It's inconsequential if they're from your conference or not, or if you face them in the second, third, or fourth round.

Nor do I have a problem with the Montana vs. E WA, and So Dakota St vs. No Dakota St, rematches in the second round. Ideally I'd rather not see them because it is more fun to see cross country games against unfamiliar foes. None the less, these games appropriately matched a high seed team against the winners from the unseeded 1st round games. Not an ideal situation, but a fair one.

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I hear ya but we should have had a home game, and would have had they not paired us with SHSU. They could have sent someone else to them and somebody else to us and no one would have said a word.

In thinking about your situation, I don't know that I agree with you, even it regionalizaton wasn't a factor. You guys did not play SHSU in the regular season, so I think that the playoffs are fair game. I would not have had any issue with playing Cal Poly if they would have made it. And from my understanding, you had as much opportunity at a home game as all of the other unseeded teams. But you must not have bid as much as SHSU, or you would have had the home game, not them. So, if you should be frustrated with anyone, it should start with the team not doing what they needed to do during the season to get a seed, and assure a home playoff game, something I think you were expected to do my most observers at the beginning of the season. And then at your AD for not bidding enough to get a home game over the other teams.

I don't really understand how the committee pitting you and SHSU in the first round was unfair.

SDSU facing NDSU in the 2nd round...maybe. But even then, we all have to look first at what our teams did in the regular season. Those that performed the best got the perks of being seeded. If SDSU was seeded, they wouldn't have been playing NDSU until the quarterfinals at earliest.

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I will take SDSU over Chatty all day.

Outside of that I didn't have a lot of issues with their seeding.

I thought Chatty looked pretty solid. I'd say it was a push.

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2014, 06:56 PM
This is a very near sighted argument. Of course the selection committee is going to look like they did a nice job. The seeded teams always play at home. You think outcomes of these games wouldn't have been different outside the Fargo Dome for SDSU, or at WaGriz for Eastern Washington? Perhaps Indiana State maybe fares better with a week off and a home game? Im not arguing whether or not these teams deserved seeds over others but to say the selection committee did a great job based on results is kind of weird. Of course they look good today, they all played at home against teams that played last week while they prepared and rested.

Playoffs are broke, get rid of the meac's, pioneers, go back to 16 teams, rank them from top to bottom, and for crying out loud, stop giving the OVC SEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would agree with you if the games were closer. Are you really saying a week of rest and home field is worth three scores? Are you saying that if the sites and situations were reversed, UNI would have won, UM would have won, Richmond would have won, etc? Maybe in the close games, but I can't agree with you on the blowouts.

And once again, in many playoff formats, teams with the best regular season performance are rewarded with byes or lower seeded opponents, etc. I don't see why that is wrong.

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 06:56 PM
The team picked to finish last in the Valley got into the round of 16. I'm okay with this.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
There were only 5 seeded team in 2012.

Ah yes...doh! Looks like 100% of the seeds won their first game in 2012, but there were only 5 then.

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 08:38 PM
The team picked to finish last in the Valley got into the round of 16. I'm okay with this.

Picked by whom though?

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Picked by whom though?
Coaches, those here on the boards. Pretty much everyone.... They were 1-11 last year, no one expected a turn around like that.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Coaches, those here on the boards. Pretty much everyone.... They were 1-11 last year, no one expected a turn around like that.

Outside of the most unabashed homer there wasn't one.

Unanimous 10th place in the media preseason poll

The poll I ran here got about 50 submissions and isub was last in 48 of them and 9th in the other 2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 08:49 PM
What Chad Said. I feel like he meant to quote you Kevin.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM
What Chad Said. I feel like he meant to quote you Kevin.

Either one of you is fine for that quote.

Just backing up what you said.

Just like next year when USD will get 99.7 percent of the last place publicity

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I'm done attempting to cheer for USD. I like Joe Glenn but that's where it stops.

clenz
December 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I'm done attempting to cheer for USD. I like Joe Glenn but that's where it stops.

Their record since joining the MVFC is trash.

Their recruiting is terrible (they won't beat/havent beaten UNI, XDSUs, ISUr, WIU, Augustana, Sioux Falls or NW Missouri St for a recruit those school genuinely want.

They've caught a couple teams off guard but aren't even competitive 98 percent of the time.

I didn't like the add when it happened and I never will.

They will be to the MVFC what UNC has been to the Big Sky

chattownmocs
December 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Chattanooga would dominate sdsu. Give it a rest.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Their record since joining the MVFC is trash.

Their recruiting is terrible (they won't beat/havent beaten UNI, XDSUs, ISUr, WIU, Augustana, Sioux Falls or NW Missouri St for a recruit those school genuinely want.

They've caught a couple teams off guard but aren't even competitive 98 percent of the time.

I didn't like the add when it happened and I never will.

They will be to the MVFC what UNC has been to the Big Sky

Well they are filling the MVFC cupcake role quite well I guess.

kalm
December 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Self awareness...you should check into it...

FargoBison
December 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM

SDSU isn't ISUB. Give it rest.

Sammy94
December 7th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Chattanooga couldn't beat Jax St.? No wonder they thought they were so good.

chattownmocs
December 8th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Chattanooga couldn't beat Jax St.? No wonder they thought they were so good.

Didn't yall lose to pueblo early? Its a long season. Sdsu got the hest matchup they could hope for against ndsu and lost. Football is a game of matchup. No way anything they do on either side of the ball would give chattanooga too much trouble. They just don't have the talent.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Didn't yall lose to pueblo early? Its a long season. Sdsu got the hest matchup they could hope for against ndsu and lost. Football is a game of matchup. No way anything they do on either side of the ball would give chattanooga too much trouble. They just don't have the talent.

Yep they don't have talent...Just a RB that has rushed for over 2,000 yards this year and the leading receiver in the FCS. Both went over a 100 yards against Mizzou, you know those talentless hacks that played in the SEC title game. But I'm sure Chatty would shut them down completely.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Seeing how seeds 3, 4, and 6 were all beat on their own fields, any thought that the seedings should have been different?

Twentysix
December 14th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Seeing how seeds 3, 4, and 6 were all beat on their own fields, any thought that the seedings should have been different?

Illinois State should have been the 4, at minimum when the field was announced. They were hosed.

Today, I would probably re-seed the teams remaining like this, 1. ISUr 2. NDSU 3. UNH 4. SHSU.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2014, 04:55 AM

Nooga is master race. Rest of fcs is for peasants and CaribeanHen.

wretched
December 14th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Wrong, Valley should have gotten 3 seeds, if 31-2 vs non valley FCS competition doesn't get you 3 seeds there is something really wrong with the process! Also for those who try to argue that UNI and SDSU were inconsistent....well maybe just maybe that is because they played in the Valley! UNI hammered the 3 non valley FCS teams they played as I imagine SDSU did. ISUb beat liberty soundly. Put all but USD in any other conference and they finish near the top of the conference and for those criticizing ISUb's loss, bye makes a huge difference. Also what 5th place team from any other conference wins a playoff game on the road! Regionalization has to go! I know for all my posts that I will be perceived as a MVFC homer but if this was another conference I would be making the same arguements. I mean 32-1! Nought said!

nmatsen
December 14th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Homer alert, the four best teams in FCS Football are NDSU / IlSU / SDSU / UNI. Not saying that the valley is the best every year but they are this year, and its not even close. Maybe i'll be proven wrong next weekend, but im not planning on it.

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Homer alert, the four best teams in FCS Football are NDSU / IlSU / SDSU / UNI. Not saying that the valley is the best every year but they are this year, and its not even close. Maybe i'll be proven wrong next weekend, but im not planning on it.
Thanks for the homer alert!

stevdock
December 14th, 2014, 10:23 AM

I will say that Coastal was every bit as good as SDSU was. They definitely showed yesterday they deserved the seed they got.

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 10:24 AM

Jacksonville State lower, ISUr higher, but Villanova's loss to SHSU doesn't prove their seed wasn't warranted. In fact, the close loss validates how good the rest of the team was. The committee seeded Villanova with Robertson, not without him.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Jacksonville State lower, ISUr higher, but Villanova's loss to SHSU doesn't prove their seed wasn't warranted. In fact, the close loss validates how good the rest of the team was. The committee seeded Villanova with Robertson, not without him.

Looks like the Nova loss was more due to defense and special teams than offense.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2014, 11:15 AM
.....AN'....12 PENALTIES....AWK!

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Looks like the Nova loss was more due to defense and special teams than offense.

Robertson would have created a lot more offense and points. This will bring the wrath of the SHSU fans, but Villanova would have won that game handily if Robertson had played. Also in saying ISUr should have been a "higher" seed I mean like "better".

As far as UNH being selected #1, I can see the reasoning they used. UNH was the only team undefeated in the FCS play in the tournament field. It is an FCS tournament so I get the logic. I also understand the logic used to counter the argument, and some of it may be just as valid. You guys (CCU) may have been bumped a place or two too far after losing to Liberty, particularly considering how well LU did in the playoffs. But the game yesterday proved you have a top notch FCS program. I've been following the Big South and advocating for you guys when over-the-top disparaging posts are made about the Big South teams.

It's asking too much to think any selection committee can get it perfectly, but I think they did a reasonably good job in picking the seeds and putting them in order.

Hammerhead
December 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM
The NCAA is never going to seed all 24 teams so they end up having to fly more teams and possibly even reduce attendance with fewer fans able to make longer trips.

Move on, my friend. We can complain all we want about regionalization, but nothing will change as long as most all FCS football programs are losing money.

Texas
December 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Robertson would have created a lot more offense and points. This will bring the wrath of the SHSU fans, but Villanova would have won that game handily if Robertson had played. Also in saying ISUr should have been a "higher" seed I mean like "better".

As far as UNH being selected #1, I can see the reasoning they used. UNH was the only team undefeated in the FCS play in the tournament field. It is an FCS tournament so I get the logic. I also understand the logic used to counter the argument, and some of it may be just as valid. You guys (CCU) may have been bumped a place or two too far after losing to Liberty, particularly considering how well LU did in the playoffs. But the game yesterday proved you have a top notch FCS program. I've been following the Big South and advocating for you guys when over-the-top disparaging posts are made about the Big South teams.

It's asking too much to think any selection committee can get it perfectly, but I think they did a reasonably good job in picking the seeds and putting them in order.
You have no idea what would have happened with Robertson. Our coaches planned and schemed for him and got a totally different play style QB.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2014, 11:51 AM
20318........DON'T KNOW IFIN' HE PLAYED WOOD'VE MADE UH DIFF.....KEELER MAY OF HAD DUH PLAN.....HOWEVERAH.....EVERAH TEAM 'NOVA PLAYS......HAD PLANS TA TRY AN' SHUT HIM DOWN....AN' HE'S STILL TOP 3..FO' BLING.....DELAWARE WAS SKUNKY AGIN'....AN' IN FINAL 90 SECONDS...DEEP IN BLUEHEN DOO DOO......DISPITE HIS WIDE OUTS EFFORTS TA DROP PASSES..IN DEY'RE FINAL DRIVE......HE DELIVERED......WE KEPT HIM AT BAY MOST O' GAME.......BUT HE HAS DUH SOMETHIN'.....ELWAY/MANNING/BRADY.....ALL DUH GREATS...HAVE.....LAST SEASON WE'RE UP 3TD'S....WHIFF LIKE SIX MIN......TA GO......HE BEAT US........NOW DELAWARE IS NO SAM HOUSTON.....BUT ASK 'ROUND DUH CAA...DEY'LL TELL YA'S..........AWK!

KPSUL
December 14th, 2014, 04:24 PM
20318........DON'T KNOW IFIN' HE PLAYED WOOD'VE MADE UH DIFF.....KEELER MAY OF HAD DUH PLAN.....HOWEVERAH.....EVERAH TEAM 'NOVA PLAYS......HAD PLANS TA TRY AN' SHUT HIM DOWN....AN' HE'S STILL TOP 3..FO' BLING.....DELAWARE WAS SKUNKY AGIN'....AN' IN FINAL 90 SECONDS...DEEP IN BLUEHEN DOO DOO......DISPITE HIS WIDE OUTS EFFORTS TA DROP PASSES..IN DEY'RE FINAL DRIVE......HE DELIVERED......WE KEPT HIM AT BAY MOST O' GAME.......BUT HE HAS DUH SOMETHIN'.....ELWAY/MANNING/BRADY.....ALL DUH GREATS...HAVE.....LAST SEASON WE'RE UP 3TD'S....WHIFF LIKE SIX MIN......TA GO......HE BEAT US........NOW DELAWARE IS NO SAM HOUSTON.....BUT ASK 'ROUND DUH CAA...DEY'LL TELL YA'S..........AWK!

As usual MR Chicken your observations are spot on! Athough dual threat college QBs are nothing rare anymore and can be defensed, Robertson does it better than anyone else in FCS. Do you ever take the short drive up the coast to Atlantic City? The Tropicana had a chicken there who was unbeatable in tic-tac-toe. I'd wager you could beat-em!

Catsfan90
December 14th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I'd pay money to see that matchup.

RabidRabbit
December 14th, 2014, 08:58 PM

Do what you can to get Chatty AD to sign a home/home with SDSU and we'll see how that turns out.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2014, 09:11 PM
As usual MR Chicken your observations are spot on! Athough dual threat college QBs are nothing rare anymore and can be defensed, Robertson does it better than anyone else in FCS. Do you ever take the short drive up the coast to Atlantic City? The Tropicana had a chicken there who was unbeatable in tic-tac-toe. I'd wager you could beat-em!

...SAVE YER DUCATS.....TIC-TAC-TOE CHICKEN.....WAY TO SHREWD...FO'......MAH BREED.....BEEN TA AC .....SLOTS UNBEATABLE TOO.....BRAWK!

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Before we get too far along the Chatty beat down ISUb street don't forget it was a 2 score game until 2 min left in the game. ISUb also dropped (not defended) 4-5 home run passes, which was their go to this season.

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Don't forget iSUb was the 5th place MVFC school playing a conferences champion. ..

citdog
December 15th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Don't forget iSUb was the 5th place MVFC school playing a conferences champion. ..

They lost like it too.....

chattownmocs
December 15th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Before we get too far along the Chatty beat down ISUb street don't forget it was a 2 score game until 2 min left in the game. ISUb also dropped (not defended) 4-5 home run passes, which was their go to this season.

Extreme exaggeration.

FargoBison
December 15th, 2014, 02:58 AM
ISUB had issues stopping the run and running the ball in Valley play, that came back to haunt them in a big way. Chatty was a nightmare match up for them.

clenz
December 15th, 2014, 07:53 AM
They lost like it too.....
I would hope a conference champion from a "top teir"...traditionally....conference could/would/should beat a 5th place team from another conference.

NSF
December 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
And ISU-b beat UNI and beat down Liberty, who beat Coastal, who gave the Bison all they could handle. And lost to ISU-r on a botched squib kick to hand the game away. Any Given Saturday, right?? I guess you could say the Sycamores "struggled" against the run, but Johnson and Coprich didn't go off against them, and Zenner was "held" to 99 yards on 25 carries until he went off for a 90+ carry near the end of the game. The real issue was the complete absence of a running game on offense, and the inconsistency in the passing game. Yes, the Chatty score was lopsided, but I'd like to see those teams play again. Maybe without the 9 hour bus ride?