PDA

View Full Version : quarterfinal game: UTC @ UNH

Pages : [1] 2

kdinva
December 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM
New hampshire cannot let Huseman go wild like he did vs. ISU (295 yards total offense).

chattownmocs
December 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM
New hampshire cannot let Huseman go wild like he did vs. ISU (295 yards total offense).

kdinva
December 6th, 2014, 07:28 PM

thanks, spastic index finger of mine.....:D

WrenFGun
December 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I was very impressed with Huesman. Should be a good challenge in Durham, but I think the UNH Offense will test the Mocs D much more than ISU-b did. Huesman looked a bit like Whitney/Robertson against ISU-b today, so he'll be a treat to watch.

Milktruck74
December 6th, 2014, 07:42 PM
No doubt, playing in Durham is a tough road...but I like the way the Mocs are peaking right now. The Mocs D positively SHUT DOWN a strong Offense today. I think they can do it again... We will have to make those FGs if we want to win in Durham!!! I hope Ribero gets whatever got in his head OUT over the next few days!!!

chattownmocs
December 6th, 2014, 07:43 PM
No doubt, playing in Durham is a tough road...but I like the way the Mocs are peaking right now. The Mocs D positively SHUT DOWN a strong Offense today. I think they can do it again... We will have to make those FGs if we want to win in Durham!!! I hope Ribero gets whatever got in his head OUT over the next few days!!!

Well 2 of them were blocked. Huesman needs to clean that up.

Mattymc727
December 6th, 2014, 07:49 PM
This is a great matchup. The Chatty d-Line vs the UNH offense will be great. Don't sleep on the UNH defense either, who basically shut down Fordhams high powered offense today. No predictions from me yet, Ill have top watch some Chatty game tape before I do that.

Milktruck74
December 6th, 2014, 08:34 PM
blocked because they were LOW and SLOW....nothing wrong with the snap or hold... he just wasn't in the game today.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a great matchup. The Chatty d-Line vs the UNH offense will be great. Don't sleep on the UNH defense either, who basically shut down Fordhams high powered offense today. No predictions from me yet, Ill have top watch some Chatty game tape before I do that.

It will be a fun one to watch.

chattownmocs
December 6th, 2014, 08:36 PM
blocked because they were LOW and SLOW....nothing wrong with the snap or hold... he just wasn't in the game today.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be a fun one to watch.

Ahhh. They were blocked pretty easily. I think the protection was poor.

Milktruck74
December 6th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Ahhh. They were blocked pretty easily. I think the protection was poor.

Russ wasn't yelling at the Line after the two that got blocked!!!! Something was in that kids head today!!! and he NEEDS to work it out this week. We can't win in Durham without those 9 points!!!

longtimemocfan
December 6th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Looks to be a great match up !!! Coach Huesman talked about one of New Hampshire's receivers being as good as any we've seen this year.

chattanoogamocs
December 6th, 2014, 09:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

I have had "I'm shipping up to Boston" in my head all day...my whole family is headed to Durham next weekend. Go Mocs!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM
This is really an interesting game. If UNH cleans up the little mistakes they made today I like them at home. Chatty will be a stiffer test than Fordham. A team with a defense of their caliber and toughness will present problems....

chattownmocs
December 6th, 2014, 09:32 PM
After watching 5 mins of that game, we are gonna have to block #60.

My God, UNH had at least 5 sacks the first 3 possessions.

melloware13
December 6th, 2014, 09:52 PM
THis is the Friday ESPN game

chattanoogamocs
December 6th, 2014, 09:56 PM
THis is the Friday ESPN game

Are you sure? Source? I ask because there are a lot of us trying to make travel plans (most have been booking early friday to boston just in case)

FargoBison
December 6th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Are you sure? Source? I ask because there are a lot of us trying to make travel plans (most have been booking early friday to boston just in case)

It is, Friday night on ESPN2.

chattownmocs
December 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM
After watching some of their game, teams seam pretty similar. Should be a good game.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, its going to be cold.

chattanoogamocs
December 6th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I see it on the UNH website now. Cool.

chattanoogamocs
December 6th, 2014, 10:10 PM
After watching some of their game, teams seam pretty similar. Should be a good game.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, its going to be cold.

Just looked at the forecast...won't be any worse than the trip to Western Carolina last month.

chattownmocs
December 6th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Just looked at the forecast...won't be any worse than the trip to Western Carolina last month.

oh, I was just assuming. Looked at it. 27 is the low. Complete non factor.

PaladinFan
December 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Contrary to what I always assume to be the case, the "weather" factor is usually a non event. Twice in the past few years South Carolina teams have beaten Montana in Missoula in December. UNH fans will remember beating Georgia Southern in Statesboro in a deluge back in '04 or '05.

If South Carolina teams can win in Montana in December, and a New England team can beat a run heavy team during a southern rainstorm, then weather can be a bit overrated in my opinion.

Skycop27
December 6th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Friday night 8:00pm in the DUNGEON!!!!!!
HAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!
What a nightmare for Chattanooga!!!!
Repeat after me....There's no place like home.....THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!!!
The hits will feel like getting whacked by an iron pipe!!!!!!

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 06:47 AM
GO MOCS!
WHIP those yankees!

NEVER FORGET!!!!!

"Let another rousing cheer for Tennessee be given! The single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag has grown to be Eleven!"

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Kickoff forecast I just saw is 34 degrees with ice pellets. "Ice pellets"? Not sure I've seen that in a forecast before. Sleet...freezing rain...yes...but ice pellets?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 7th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Look at flights into Manchester as well
Portland Maine is also an option

There are some nice hotels in Portsmouth (great bars and restaurants too!)

WrenFGun
December 7th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah, Boston is a good 90 minute drive to Durham; Manchester or Portland, ME are probably both better options if the price is comparable. Keep in mind, too, Durham has a train [the Downeaster] that runs directly from the station in Durham to Boston if you didn't want to get a rental and flew into Boston.

Might want to look at staying at a hotel in Newington, too, since it's right near a bunch of restaurants and a mall [there's a Hampton Inn right off the highway].

youngMOCSfan1886
December 7th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I have to say I'm not crazy about this game being on Friday considering how far UTC has to travel. I think the team needs all the time they can get to prepare for UNH.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 7th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Having a short week with a travel day is tough for the road team

youngMOCSfan1886
December 7th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Exactly, but at this point I guess it is the nature of the beast. I'll take this over not playing at all.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 7th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Exactly, but at this point I guess it is the nature of the beast. I'll take this over not playing at all.

As the 8 seed I guess it falls on you...but as you say better then not playing

Terry2889
December 7th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Don't come crying to us about special teams problems... I've seen midget football kickers that are more accurate than ours!

Catsfan90
December 7th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Don't come crying to us about special teams problems... I've seen midget football kickers that are more accurate than ours!
I say the next person to win one of those kicking competitions in between quarters wins a scholarship.

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2014, 11:30 AM
As the 8 seed I guess it falls on you...but as you say better then not playing

20274.....WIN MO'....HOST MO'......IT'S ON PAGE #1......FOOD CHAIN DIGEST...xnodx....BUK...BUK...BUK....BRAWK!

Red & Black
December 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Go Nooga. Love to see you come up to the PNW. :D

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 02:11 PM

From the rock n roll band that started it all in New Hampshire - DREAM ON, DREAM OOONNNN

Can't wait to get you off that red rag of a surface to a nice white, snowy, rock hard, frozen tundra!!
tell your QB instead of a football we use a BRICK!

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I have to say I'm not crazy about this game being on Friday considering how far UTC has to travel. I think the team needs all the time they can get to prepare for UNH.

Chatty is actually traveling a shorter distance than the other 3 road teams.

Milktruck74
December 7th, 2014, 02:27 PM

Some truth here, but both teams have the same amount of time to prepare...No Excuses!!!!

Milktruck74
December 7th, 2014, 02:30 PM

Be careful what you wish for, The Mocs program is undefeated on ALL turf other than green!!!! Albeit, a single game at Boise State in 1992, but UNDEFEATED none the less.

youngMOCSfan1886
December 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Chatty is actually traveling a shorter distance than the other 3 road teams.

You're right, and I understand that is why it is the Friday game. Just saying it would have been nice to have 1 more day to prep.

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I think Chattanooga's defense will surprise some people in this one.

Milktruck74
December 7th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I think Chattanooga's defense will surprise some people in this one.

I hope you are right.

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Fri2014-12-12

at
New Hampshire (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5342&s=262657)

85(11-1)

47 % (http://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=545968859)

KPSUL
December 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I really hope both teams play to their potential, the only time it really stinks to lose in the playoffs is when you feel like your team didn't play it's best football. Don't pay too much attention to a seacoast NH weather forecast for Friday on Sunday. Coastal New England is where they invented the phrase, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute. It could rain, sleet, snow and rain ice pellets all in the same hour.

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Mini Huesman looked VERY good yesterday. He can make all the throws and is John Robertson like carrying the football. Davis Tull is as dominant as anyone in the FCS. Chatty could win this one...

Dane96
December 7th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Just as an FYI, if you are flying into Boston, I-93 and I-95 are complete messes from 3pm onward. Get to Boston early, and hoof it up to Durham ASAP.

If you are flying into Manchester, your distance is cut in half, as is the traffic.

chattownmocs
December 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
The problem is that I doubt there are any flights from chattanooga to any of these places other than boston. So its either fight thebtraffic to Atlanta or fight the traffic from boston.

Dane96
December 7th, 2014, 08:07 PM
oh, I was just assuming. Looked at it. 27 is the low. Complete non factor.

New England weather: Give it 15 minutes and it will change. Fact. I would not be surprised if that 27 turns into 10 degrees with the wind chill, if not lower. They are calling for overnight freezing rain Fri-Saturday...so, if it hits a bit earlier, put on your base layers! :)

Dane96
December 7th, 2014, 08:09 PM
The problem is that I doubt there are any flights from chattanooga to any of these places other than boston. So its either fight thebtraffic to Atlanta or fight the traffic from boston.

Delta, American, and US Airways all connect from Chatty to Manchester. If the times work for you.

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
New England weather: Give it 15 minutes and it will change. Fact. I would not be surprised if that 27 turns into 10 degrees with the wind chill, if not lower. They are calling for overnight freezing rain Fri-Saturday...so, if it hits a bit earlier, put on your base layers! :)

In other words - there's not enough whiskey in Tennessee to keep your bones from freezing in the dungeon this coming Friday.
Unfortunately, there is no heat in the visitors locker room in 70 year old Cowell stadium.
However, we'll supply plenty of heaters on the sidelines for your players....heh heh heh....

chattownmocs
December 7th, 2014, 08:20 PM

I honestly think a lot of yankees confuse weather in places like tennessee with south florida.

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I honestly think a lot of yankees confuse weather in places like tennessee with south florida.

Ask your brothers who make the trip up, after they sit on those high school bleachers with splinters up their ass,
to let you know how real cold feels when the wind blow east off that body of water they call the North Atlantic,
over a pack of snow and ice with who knows whatever will be falling from the sky......

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Ask your brothers who make the trip up, after they sit on those high school bleachers with splinters up their ass,
to let you know how real cold feels when the wind blow east off that body of water they call the North Atlantic,
over a pack of snow and ice with who knows whatever will be falling from the sky......

Going to be raining Chattanooga touchdowns

chattownmocs
December 7th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Average lows in december fro durham is 20. So the average temp between 8 and 11 is probably 25 or so. That isn't unusual here. I don't think it is cold enough to be a factor. The forecast is 27 for the low. Probably 30+ at gametime. No big deal at all.

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Average lows in december fro durham is 20. So the average temp between 8 and 11 is probably 25 or so. That isn't unusual here. I don't think it is cold enough to be a factor. The forecast is 27 for the low. Probably 30+ at gametime. No big deal at all.
Heh Heh Heh, hope you make the trip! Whiskey not only permitted but required!

chattownmocs
December 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Heh Heh Heh, hope you make the trip! Whiskey not only permitted but required!

I'm not making a trip to durham new hampshire for a 3 hour football game. Ill be watching on tv. After watching both teams yesterday, new hampshire needs weather to be a factor.

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I'm not making a trip to durham new hampshire for a 3 hour football game. Ill be watching on tv. After watching both teams yesterday, new hampshire needs weather to be a factor.

After being road warriors for the last three years, and knowing how hard that is,
"There's no place like Home". We also bribe the refs here for home field advantage.

Wildcat Pride
December 7th, 2014, 09:11 PM
After watching the replay today of the Chattanooga / Indiana game I was reminded of the victory Fordham had over Sacred Heart

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 09:13 PM
After being road warriors for the last three years, and knowing how hard that is,
"There's no place like Home". We also bribe the refs here for home field advantage.

Well you are lowborn, corrupt, yankee scum....

PaladinFan
December 7th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I'll go back to it, but Wofford and Coastal Carolina - two teams from South Carolina - both have wins outdoors in Missoula, Montana in December.

I doubt weather will be a factor.

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I'll go back to it, but Wofford and Coastal Carolina - two teams from South Carolina - both have wins outdoors in Missoula, Montana in December.

I doubt weather will be a factor.

That is South Carolina Blood they do not know it.

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM

Wow, where did that come from?? I hope you are not representative of all the folks in Tennessee.
Furthermore, refrain from using the term yankee from here on in this posting.

Wildcat Pride
December 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM

Wow, interesting, are all of the players on your team so proud of the stars and bars?

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Wow, where did that come from?? I hope you are not representative of all the folks in Tennessee.
Furthermore, refrain from using the term yankee from here on in this posting.

Gotta love the noobs.......

Tennessee? Lol

UNHWildcat18
December 7th, 2014, 09:35 PM

I really wonder what you are like in person. Obviously online you pretend to be some person in fantasy land that the confederacy exists. But you must have hobbies of any random sort no matter how weird. So gauk all you want at us just know that the citadel is awful and probably will be for the next decade so sticks and stones my friends. Also the confederacy lost, and a good thing too.

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I really wonder what you are like in person. Obviously online you pretend to be some person in fantasy land that the confederacy exists. But you must have hobbies of any random sort no matter how weird. So gauk all you want at us just know that the citadel is awful and probably will be for the next decade so sticks and stones my friends. Also the confederacy lost, and a good thing too.

We're long gaming y'all. The same way the Mocs will on Sat. Love how you can make jokes about paying refs and I pile on and it's a problem.....

Milktruck74
December 7th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Going to be raining Chattanooga touchdowns

I'm starting to appreciate Citdog more and more!!!! At least until September!!!

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I'm starting to appreciate Citdog more and more!!!! At least until September!!!

If we can't all unite against "those people" who will we EVER unite against?

Skycop27
December 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM
My brother Wildcats do me proud!

Wildcat Pride
December 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
If we can't all unite against "those people" who will we EVER unite against?

I guess it could be said Football makes for some strange bed fellows

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I guess it could be said Football makes for some strange bed fellows

Chattanooga has never been anyone who we have ever really cared about either way. It's not like we are talking about the vermin furples..

UCMoc
December 7th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Chattanooga has never been anyone who we have ever really cared about either way. It's not like we are talking about the vermin furples..
My only issue with the Citadel was that when I was stationed in Charleston, the cadets seemed to get to the really slutty girls first.

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 10:03 PM
My only issue with the Citadel was that when I was stationed in Charleston, the cadets seemed to get to the really slutty girls first.

They found US

UCMoc
December 7th, 2014, 10:07 PM
They found US

Toe-may-toe, toe-ma-toe. They were still unusable afterwards. Filthy animals.

Catsfan90
December 7th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Charlotte does direct flights to Manchester cheap. I used to fly to Charlotte, and than direct to Manchester when I was stationed there. Manchester's a very short trip to Durham, and Boston is a pain to travel anywhere from.

UCMoc
December 7th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Charlotte does direct flights to Manchester cheap. I used to fly to Charlotte, and than direct to Manchester when I was stationed there. Manchester's a very short trip to Durham, and Boston is a pain to travel anywhere from.

There are plenty of flights. 190 to Logan and 290
to Manchester. He doesn't drive to the home games, much less the road games. There are no breaks for a sandwich artist.

KPSUL
December 7th, 2014, 10:33 PM

Unfortunately I have to agree with Chattownmocs for once. Durham NH is not Siberia, it's not even Fargo, Minneapolis or the White MTs region of NH. Durham is not much colder than the Appalachian Regions of VA, NC and TN. Quit making a big deal about the weather. I remember a Durham playoff game in December during the late 80s against Samford - it was like 60 degrees at game time. Last time I checked it was just as wet, cold and snowy on both sides of the field. Oh, the bleachers are aluminum so no slivers.

Catsfan90
December 7th, 2014, 10:43 PM
to Manchester. He doesn't drive to the home games, much less the road games. There are no breaks for a sandwich artist.
Lol, well if I can be of any assistance to anyone don't hesitate to ask!

UCMoc
December 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Lol, well if I can be of any assistance to anyone don't hesitate to ask!
Thank you sir! Best of luck to you and yours. Your family, not your team. I want your team to suck badly!

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2014, 11:07 PM
So I will be flying in to Boston on Thursday...but I am tasked with picking up the rest of my party at Logan at 6:13pm on Friday...so basically, you guys are saying were screwed to get to Durham in an 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Dane96
December 7th, 2014, 11:22 PM

Cuz all us Yankees apparently are not well traveled. Sigh. I've spent many a day in Tennessee, and in Chattanooga specifically. Nothing close to New England weather. Not a chance.

Dane96
December 7th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree with Chattownmocs for once. Durham NH is not Siberia, it's not even Fargo, Minneapolis or the White MTs region of NH. Durham is not much colder than the Appalachian Regions of VA, NC and TN. Quit making a big deal about the weather. I remember a Durham playoff game in December during the late 80s against Samford - it was like 60 degrees at game time. Last time I checked it was just as wet, cold and snowy on both sides of the field. Oh, the bleachers are aluminum so no slivers.

Noob, you are killing the fun. This is all sarcasm.

citdog
December 8th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Cuz all us Yankees apparently are not well traveled. Sigh. I've spent many a day in Tennessee, and in Chattanooga specifically. Nothing close to New England weather. Not a chance.

http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2014/02/carpetbagger-AB.jpeg

chattownmocs
December 8th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Similar teams. Mocs are just better. 30-20 Chattownmocs.

citdog
December 8th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Yankees

oops....looks like somebody is going to rile up a certain new poster with the use of the 'y word'...........

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I'm surprised Citdog had discussed Tennessee this long without referencing Andrew Johnson.

Mattymc727
December 8th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Is there any chance of the hockey game being moved earlier?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2014, 06:53 AM

I doubt it at this point....we'd have heard by now I think.

citdog
December 8th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I'm surprised Citdog had discussed Tennessee this long without referencing Andrew Johnson.

why would I spill ink to speak of that traitor to his own people......

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2014, 06:56 AM

All in good time....he has 4 more days.

Some day UNH will have a playoff game where the AGS thread doesn't go off on some bizarre tangent, but until then we'll just embrace the entertainment value

OL FU
December 8th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Obviously online you pretend to be some person in fantasy land that the confederacy exists. o.

Perception is realityxdrunkyx

UNHWildcat18
December 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Similar teams. Mocs are just better. 30-20 Chattownmocs.

What happened in that loss to JSU? As well as that close game vs one year out of the pioneer mercer? I know Sam houstan isn't bad but they just beat JSU by 11. I'd like for you to share some opinions on the matter.

chattownmocs
December 8th, 2014, 07:39 AM
What happened in that loss to JSU? As well as that close game vs one year out of the pioneer mercer? I know Sam houstan isn't bad but they just beat JSU by 11. I'd like for you to share some opinions on the matter.

We lost. Jacksonville State is good. Since then we have reshuffled our oline and our QB is pkaying with confidence. As far as Mercer goes, so what? What happened against maine a few weeks ago? Big deal. Teams lose games and a new hampshire win would be no shock to me. I still like Chattanooga.

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Who are the key players whe can expect to see a lot of?

tenNesseeCat
December 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM

As for the Mercer game. They got things figured out in a big way the next weekend. Against a MUCH improved WCU team, in Cullowhee, in snowy, windy conditions. Go Mocs! Go SoCon! Damn Yanks!

Mattymc727
December 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Fordham did a nice job shutting down RJ Harris for the most part, unfortunately that left other areas of attack, such as the UNH run game. Will be interesting to see how the Mocs decide to defend against a pretty good UNH offense. On the other side, I think the key for UNH is to stop the run completely, and force Huesman to beat you.

In all honesty, Im not confident in Sean Goldrich's game right now. He has been a turnover machine lately and other than scrambling for first downs, wasnt all that great Saturday.

ccd494
December 8th, 2014, 08:45 AM

This is.... not ideal I wouldn't think. The Portland/Manchester series was supposed to be a big deal for hockey (alumni events for both schools in both cities, etc.).

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2014, 08:58 AM
My license plate says "Land of Lincoln" on it and nobody said a word in Chattanooga. I think you guys are bluffing.

UCMoc
December 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Fordham did a nice job shutting down RJ Harris for the most part, unfortunately that left other areas of attack, such as the UNH run game. Will be interesting to see how the Mocs decide to defend against a pretty good UNH offense. On the other side, I think the key for UNH is to stop the run completely, and force Huesman to beat you.

In all honesty, Im not confident in Sean Goldrich's game right now. He has been a turnover machine lately and other than scrambling for first downs, wasnt all that great Saturday.

The difficulty with forcing Huesman to beat you is that he can be the entire offense if needed. This week he rushed for 150 yards and threw for 240. I'm really not sure what the best approach would be, but I can say that forcing him to beat you is not it.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM
This is.... not ideal I wouldn't think. The Portland/Manchester series was supposed to be a big deal for hockey (alumni events for both schools in both cities, etc.).

It is kind of a drag but Playoff Football > Regular season Hockey
I'll bet there are people selling their seat for Friday in Manchester

Hard to say no to a chance at the national audience of ESPN2

Plus it's not like we'd be seeing a preview of the HE finals

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Yeah it stinks, but a NCAA Quarterfinal Football game nationally televised on ESPN2 is significantly more important for UNH than a OOC hockey game. Frankly, that's more national exposure than playing in the Frozen Four.

ccd494
December 8th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah it stinks, but a NCAA Quarterfinal Football game nationally televised on ESPN2 is significantly more important for UNH than a OOC hockey game. Frankly, that's more national exposure than playing in the Frozen Four.

Hey, more legroom for the Maine fans in Manchester, fine by us.

youngMOCSfan1886
December 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Who are the key players whe can expect to see a lot of?

On offense for UTC it begins and ends with QB Jacob Huesman, he doesn't have to air it out 30-40 times, but if he can't complete passes when we need it then it will be a long night. Keon Williams at RB has been solid this year and WR Tommy Hudson can make moves in the open field

On defense, everybody knows about DE Davis Tull, he is 3rd in FCS history for career sack total. However, just like in the Indiana State game, I expect him to be doubled or chipped by a TE or RB every play which means others will have to step up. DT Derrick Lott will have to take advantage when he is one on one with a guard or center. Our secondary is pretty young and doesn't have a star name to it, but redshirt freshman Lucas Webb now has 6 INTs on the year. There were several times when Indiana State got receivers behind our secondary, which led to the only offensive TD given up, but thankfully they weren't able to complete the pass except once.

As for special teams, Hudson has been dangerous at times returning punts, freshman RB Bagley has been solid returning kicks. Punter Nick Pollard uses the old rugby style punt, and it has worked pretty well this season. Our kicker had a great regular season and then promptly had 2 blocked and missed a chip shot in the playoff game so hopefully he can bounce back this week.

chattownmocs
December 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM
They have no choice but to double team tull so imo the key is keionta davis who is playing outstanding. Their qb does not protect the ball with both hands and holds on to it for too long. Davis and tull will be looking for the strip sack when they get to him. The offense is very difficult to stop right now. Teams are holding Williams in check recently but we are still moving the ball at will. I do think UNH has the best dline we have seen since tennessee though.

WrenFGun
December 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM
As I mentioned to UNH fans earlier, I saw Huesman as kind of a mini-Chris Whitney, especially the way he ran the ball. In fact a lot of things about Chattanooga reminded me of Villanova. I think it will be a tough matchup that is won or lost in the 20's.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM
On offense for UTC it begins and ends with QB Jacob Huesman, he doesn't have to air it out 30-40 times, but if he can't complete passes when we need it then it will be a long night. Keon Williams at RB has been solid this year and WR Tommy Hudson can make moves in the open field

On defense, everybody knows about DE Davis Tull, he is 3rd in FCS history for career sack total. However, just like in the Indiana State game, I expect him to be doubled or chipped by a TE or RB every play which means others will have to step up. DT Derrick Lott will have to take advantage when he is one on one with a guard or center. Our secondary is pretty young and doesn't have a star name to it, but redshirt freshman Lucas Webb now has 6 INTs on the year. There were several times when Indiana State got receivers behind our secondary, which led to the only offensive TD given up, but thankfully they weren't able to complete the pass except once.

As for special teams, Hudson has been dangerous at times returning punts, freshman RB Bagley has been solid returning kicks. Punter Nick Pollard uses the old rugby style punt, and it has worked pretty well this season. Our kicker had a great regular season and then promptly had 2 blocked and missed a chip shot in the playoff game so hopefully he can bounce back this week.

I think this ended up being the difference for both teams. Chatty caught their long passes, we dropped ours. Most of them seemed to happen on 3rd and forever.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Hey, more legroom for the Maine fans in Manchester, fine by us.

UNH Hockey fans will still be there. Not sure there is a lot of overlap between the fan bases. Friday football might result in more UNH fans going to Portland though. I'm considering it and definitely wouldn't have if the football game was Saturday.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I came here to talk about football and a hockey game broke out. ;)

tenNesseeCat
December 8th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I really don't know what i was expecting. I guess i was expecting a little more with a nickname like "The Dungeon." It looks like Soviet Russia. Maybe that's where the nickname came from? Why is this game on espn2? I mean, I'll be watching, but...

youngMOCSfan1886
December 8th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I really don't know what i was expecting. I guess i was expecting a little more with a nickname like "The Dungeon." It looks like Soviet Russia. Maybe that's where the nickname came from? Why is this game on espn2? I mean, I'll be watching, but...

Well for starters, it is the only Division 1 football game that night. Also, I would imagine since it is the quarter finals and both teams are seeded had something to do with it. Hopefully it is also because ESPN realizes they need to give FCS more exposure since a certain employee made a bone headed comment about the FCS on national television.

Whatever the reasons are, I am thankful they did, streaming the game on ESPN3 can get ugly if the internet is slow.

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM
That's why its called the dungeon, cause its so old and gross. But idc cause just like soviet Russia, everyone has a hell of a time coming here.

tenNesseeCat
December 8th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I guess in my head, I was picturing something like JMU's stadium before the additions. I will say that your plans for renovation look really nice.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I have always been impressed with UNH because they have consistently been a top 10 team without a large amount of fan support and very little in the way of facilities (no need to insert a joke about my high school being nicer).

You can't be that good that long without support from the administration...nice to see they are finally stepping up with enhancing facilities too.

Quick question...how in the world do you have 18,000+ in attendance for homecoming in a stadium that seats around 6,000? Are there really 12,000 people just standing along the fence and endzones?

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I have always been impressed with UNH because they have consistently been a top 10 team without a large amount of fan support and very little in the way of facilities.

You can be that good that long without support from the administration...nice to see they are finally stepping up with enhancing facilities too.

Quick question...how in the world do you have 18,000+ in attendance for homecoming in a stadium that seats around 6,000? Are there really 12,000 people just standing along the fence and endzones?

Wofford math.

I'm still interested to know how Mercer had exactly 10,000 folks at their last home game against Warner.

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I have always been impressed with UNH because they have consistently been a top 10 team without a large amount of fan support and very little in the way of facilities (no need to insert a joke about my high school being nicer).

You can't be that good that long without support from the administration...nice to see they are finally stepping up with enhancing facilities too.

It goes right along with your comment on fan support. The school requires everyone to buy a ticket in order to tailgate. So I'm pretty sure they go off of ticket sales for attendance, because the students go to drink. I can guarantee most of them are making it nowhere near the actual game. I am glad to see them starting to wakeup and realise that this team deserves their support.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I think the key for UNH is to stop the run completely, and force Huesman to beat you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXiTknN-g0

Dane96
December 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM
http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2014/02/carpetbagger-AB.jpeg

Listen, here...don't make me send down the Mohel to complete the job on your schmeckle!!!

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
The school requires everyone to buy a ticket in order to tailgate. So I'm pretty sure they go off of ticket sales for attendance, because the students go to drink.

Well, I guess if you can't get them to the stadium...at least charge them to have a place to drink. It's still money in the bank for the program. ;)

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Well, I guess if you can't get them to the stadium...at least charge them to have a place to drink. It's still money in the bank for the program. ;)
Oh yah, no complaints here! Honestly, I'm more interested in the fans going that actually care about the game. Not just an excuse to go get drunk.

SU DOG
December 8th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Thanks for bringing up a wonderful memory for me. It was actually Nov. 30, 1991. Samford 29 UNH 13. I have some allegiance for UNH, because I have close relatives in Nashua and Merrimack, but I must pull for the Mocs and the SoCon. I think the UTC defense will be the deciding factor in their win. Those guys can really get after it. Hope both teams have an injury-free game.

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
It goes right along with your comment on fan support. The school requires everyone to buy a ticket in order to tailgate. So I'm pretty sure they go off of ticket sales for attendance, because the students go to drink. I can guarantee most of them are making it nowhere near the actual game. I am glad to see them starting to wakeup and realise that this team deserves their support.

Yet another attendance farce!! Im on a campaign now!!

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Haha attendance gate, its the conspiracy of the century! Blow the lid off of this pard's rule! The nation deserves to know the truth.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Why get your panties in a bunch over attendance numbers????? People spend good money to buy tickets and support the school and its football program. Isn't that what we all want? And in the case of UNH's Homecoming, I'm sure they have to spend significantly more for police and medical support because of the volume of people tailgating in Boulder Field. I'm all for them recouping that expense by charging people for entry by mandating a ticket. And I definitely have no problem with my Alma Mater reporting to the country that many people chose football for their return to campus!!!

Skycop27
December 8th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Let me get this right...this is your second time in the playoffs and first in THIRTY YEARS!!!
And you think you got a shot at winning in the dungeon against the number one seeded team???
Ten straight years in the playoffs, senior talented. HA HA HA

UNHWildcat18
December 8th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Let me get this right...this is your second time in the playoffs and first in THIRTY YEARS!!!
And you think you got a shot at winning in the dungeon against the number one seeded team???

I wouldn't say they dont have the talent to beat us because I think they do, its just the mentality of playing in bigger games traveling more less playoffs experience. Everything besides actual performance hangs in our favor by a landslide but that doesnt mean much, though it is a small factor.

Southern Bison
December 8th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Rep!

dwtime
December 8th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Cmon Skycop27 pretty much every UNH poster on here knows that the game on Friday is going to be difficult except for you. Chattanooga has a very good team, if you want to smack talk you should head on over to the smack talk forum.

youngMOCSfan1886
December 8th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Which is why the Mocs at this point are playing with house money. This new territory for the program so there isn't the pressure of having to win, not because they are the lower seeded team but because they have met/exceeded everyone's expectation except their own. Yea if they get blown out then it will suck, but at this point you aren't gonna find a UTC fan that is disappointed with this team.

dwtime
December 8th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Which is why the Mocs at this point are playing with house money. This new territory for the program so there isn't the pressure of having to win, not because they are the lower seeded team but because they have met/exceeded everyone's expectation except their own. Yea if they get blown out then it will suck, but at this point you aren't gonna find a UTC fan that is disappointed with this team.

Should be a real good game, I would be surprised if the team that wins it doesn't have to work real hard to do so.

Skycop27
December 8th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Cmon Skycop27 pretty much every UNH poster on here knows that the game on Friday is going to be difficult except for you. Chattanooga has a very good team, if you want to smack talk you should head on over to the smack talk forum.

I always prefer good football discussions, but when suckerpunched, will always punch back...HARDER!

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 01:37 PM

Looks like we have found UNH's version of chattownmocs (proving that every school has one).

UNH might have more playoff experience, but if what I read was correct, the school has only made it past the quarterfinals one time.

8 playoffs in the last 11 year and only one semi-final appearance. Sounds like a bunch of chokers to me. ;)

Mattymc727
December 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Im honestly leaning towards picking the Mocs right now. Its weird, we have been blowing teams out, just blew out the patriot league champion, and I still felt disappointed in the way UNH played. I havent been satisfied with UNH's performance since the W&M game.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I always prefer good football discussions, but when suckerpunched, will always punch back...HARDER!

I didn't realize you had even thrown a punch yet.

I will be up there on Friday...maybe you can come over and challenge me to a pillow fight.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Looks like we have found UNH's version of chattownmocs (proving that every schools has one).

UNH might have more playoff experience, but if what I read was correct, the school has only made it past the quarterfinals one time.

8 playoffs in the last 11 year and only one semi-final appearance. Sounds like a bunch of chokers to me. ;)

Actually 11 playoffs in the last 11 years, 8 trips to the quarters.
Last year was our first trip to the semis.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2014, 01:48 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe NH, overall, has a losing record in NCAA Playoff games & had a losing record, overall, at home, in NCAA Playoff games...until last Saturday.
If so, I don't see the Mocs trembling at the rich playoff tradition of the Wildcats, at home or otherwise.

MEAC Teams have been in the playoffs too for, what, over 30 consecutive years? xthumbsupx

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Actually 11 playoffs in the last 11 years, 8 trips to the quarters.
Last year was our first trip to the semis.

Sorry about the error. Thanks for the correction.

11 playoffs in the last 11 year and only one semi-final appearance. Sounds like a bunch of chokers to me. ;)

So to put into perspective that a Southerner can understand, UNH is kinda like the Atlanta Braves of FCS football (except Atl did manage to manage one title).

dwtime
December 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Looks like we have found UNH's version of chattownmocs (proving that every school has one).

Please don't remind us of the pain! 20277

Catsfan90
December 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Sorry about the error. Thanks for the correction.

11 playoffs in the last 11 year and only one semi-final appearance. Sounds like a bunch of chokers to me. ;)

So to put into perspective that a Southerner can understand, UNH is kinda like the Atlanta Braves of FCS football (except Atl did manage to manage one title).
To put something in perspective, soviet Russia was still alive and well the last time the mocs made the playoffs, none the less lost any of them. UNH may have lost quite a few, but 10 in a row is nothing to laugh at. There can only be one national champion each year that will win so obviously all other teams have to lose. UNH has always had the talent to make the playoffs and do well, but never the needed backing to win a championship. ( also I wasn't even close to being born yet the last time the mocs played a playoff game) I've been alive to see UNH in 11 years of them.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I am very excited to be at the stadium this Friday night, it will be like a trip back home...

Visitors section at Cowell Stadium:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4074/4864672226_4249cbed17_z.jpg

And at my high school alma mater:

http://tntrainfootball.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/cropped-homefield1.jpg?w=665&h=230

(granted, the visitor stands at Hixson are bigger than Cowell, but, close enough)

I apologize for the lame smack...I am sure I am not covering any new ground by taking a poke at the size of the stadium. Just picking the low hanging fruit.

I have no doubt the product on the field will be a lot better than the facilities that surround it.

dwtime
December 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM
To put something in perspective, soviet Russia was still alive and well the last time the mocs made the playoffs, none the less lost any of them. UNH may have lost quite a few, but 10 in a row is nothing to laugh at. There can only be one national champion each year that will win so obviously all other teams have to lose. UNH has always had the talent to make the playoffs and do well, but never the needed backing to win a championship. ( also I wasn't even close to being born yet the last time the mocs played a playoff game) I've been alive to see UNH in 11 years of them.

We should have won the D2 National Title in 1975 (lost to Western Kentucky? in the Semi's 14-3 but our RB Bill Burnham (my avatar) fumbled twice inside the 5 yard line and he never ever fumbled) and also could have won it in 76 or 77? (missed chip shot field goal in frozen Bozeman and then again missed a kick a few years ago there as well, ugh....)

Skycop27
December 8th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I didn't realize you had even thrown a punch yet.

I will be up there on Friday...maybe you can come over and challenge me to a pillow fight.

Actually, anyone who would travel that far to support their team I would prefer to offer you my macallans.
Have a safe trip!

longtimemocfan
December 8th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't say they dont have the talent to beat us because I think they do, its just the mentality of playing in bigger games traveling more less playoffs experience. Everything besides actual performance hangs in our favor by a landslide but that doesnt mean much, though it is a small factor.

Their is a lot to being said about the travel and big games, but in all honestly besides last Saturday our best games have been played on the road this year for whatever reason. Indiana St. was our best played home game to date. It should be a good hard fought game up in Durham Friday.

UNH72Plus
December 8th, 2014, 03:08 PM
With regard to the 10 losses in a row, we prefer to think of it as UNH finishing in second place in those games, while the winners were next to last!! LOL

Mattymc727
December 8th, 2014, 03:09 PM
UNH has one of the worst facilities in FCS, hence the name the dungeon. Hell, even us fans dont like going there. The amazing thing is however that despite that fact, the coaching staff has been able to recruit hard working kids that believe in the system, and it gets them to the dance every year. The players love playing in the dungeon, and relish in the fact that most visitors hate being there. UNH has recorded wins in 22 or their last 23 home games, are 32-2 in their last 34 at home. UNH is 41-4 since 2007 at home. No fancy stands, no fancy banners, no fancy pyrotechnics, no bells or whistles. Just good, hard working, humble football.

Now, when that new stadium opens up in 2016......then we have a place to host a playoff game!!! http://unhstadium.com/

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 03:12 PM
According the Massey Rakings, but UNH and Chattanooga beat their highest rated teams of the season last weekend (which makes some sense since it is the playoffs with mainly wheat and little chaff)

Massey Ranking...
85 New Hampshire / 142 Fordham
86 Chattanooga / 103 Indiana State

UNH is undefeated at home this season...Chattanooga is undefeated against FCS teams on the road this season.

Chattanooga has played a slightly tougher schedule...UNH has won more of their games.

All kidding and posturing aside, to me, this game is just like Chattanooga and Indiana State last week...in that the game is basically a toss up (with the slight edge to the home team). I believe UNH is a slight favorite, but not a clear favorite. I think it is going to be a hell of contest...which is why I am happy to travel over 1,000 miles to see it.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM
UNH has one of the worst facilities in FCS, hence the name the dungeon. Hell, even us fans dont like going there. The amazing thing is however that despite that fact, the coaching staff has been able to recruit hard working kids that believe in the system, and it gets them to the dance every year. The players love playing in the dungeon, and relish in the fact that most visitors hate being there. UNH has recorded wins in 22 or their last 23 home games, are 32-2 in their last 34 at home. UNH is 41-4 since 2007 at home. No fancy stands, no fancy banners, no fancy pyrotechnics, no bells or whistles. Just good, hard working, humble football.

Now, when that new stadium opens up in 2016......then we have a place to host a playoff game!!! http://unhstadium.com/

But will you lose the mystique and the mojo of the dungeon?

Mattymc727
December 8th, 2014, 03:15 PM
[/I][/B]

But will you lose the mystique and the mojo of the dungeon?

Possibly, but I dont see a dropoff in play as a team over the next few years, so unless they bring in tougher opponents, UNH will probably have a pretty good home record in the future.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2014, 03:20 PM
According the Massey Rakings, but UNH and Chattanooga beat their highest rated teams of the season last weekend (which makes some sense since it is the playoffs with mainly wheat and little chaff)

Massey Ranking...
85 New Hampshire / 142 Fordham
86 Chattanooga / 103 Indiana State

UNH is undefeated at home this season...Chattanooga is undefeated against FCS teams on the road this season.

Chattanooga has played a slightly tougher schedule...UNH has won more of their games.

All kidding and posturing aside, to me, this game is just like Chattanooga and Indiana State last week...in that the game is basically a toss up (with the slight edge to the home team). I believe UNH is a slight favorite, but not a clear favorite. I think it is going to be a hell of contest...which is why I am happy to travel over 1,000 miles to see it.

Safe travels....If your staying any extra days there are great things to do with in an hours drive.
I'm going to go out on a limb and claim that we have better seafood chowder then you can get back home!

Mattymc727
December 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
More on "the dungeon"

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/blog/2014-15/releases/92

“We barely ever lose at home,” said senior running back Jimmy Owens. “Like, ever. I forget who was talking about it, but they said playing in the Dungeon is the worst place to play in the country. It is called the Dungeon for a reason. Like the visitors’ locker room. I know it’s cold in there. . . . The Villanova coach talked to coach Mac and said, ‘How do you play in this place?’ Even the coach felt like this place was crappy and he didn’t even want to be here. I feel like other teams are going to come in and it’s, ‘We don’t want to be here. It’s cold. Let’s get out of here.’ I feel it’s an advantage for us.”

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Safe travels....If your staying any extra days there are great things to do with in an hours drive.
I'm going to go out on a limb and claim that we have better seafood chowder then you can get back home!

I interned at Boston College one summer "back in the day" so I am somewhat familiar to the region (though mostly just Cambridge, the Back Bay, and Chestnut Hill areas of Boston)...I did drive up 95 to Portland for a weekend.

I own a gallery and bookstore back in Chattanooga, so with holiday shopping, I have to make the trip quick (or my employees would strangle me)...I wish I could stay longer. Outside of East Tennessee, New England has always been my favorite place (just the other end of the Appalachian Trail) :)

ming01
December 8th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Chatty can win if it is somewhat low scoring. If it becomes a shootout I think adv goes to UNH.

youngMOCSfan1886
December 8th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Just got the confirmation from my boss that I cannot get off this Friday. Oh well, looks like I'll be yelling at the tv instead of in the stands.

GO MOCS!

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Chatty can win if it is somewhat low scoring. If it becomes a shootout I think adv goes to UNH.

Based on the the record while coach Huesman has been at UTC, if the Mocs get to 28 points first, they have a 97% percent chance of winning (31-1).

What the Mocs don't want (traditionally) is a track meet or a game under 20 points (10-27).

(I realize most teams are pretty successful if they can score 28 points in a game...but for the Mocs, 28 is their absolute sweet spot)

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I interned at Boston College one summer "back in the day" so I am somewhat familiar to the region (though mostly just Cambridge, the Back Bay, and Chestnut Hill areas of Boston)...I did drive up 95 to Portland for a weekend.

I own a gallery and bookstore back in Chattanooga, so with holiday shopping, I have to make the trip quick (or my employees would strangle me)...I wish I could stay longer. Outside of East Tennessee, New England has always been my favorite place (just the other end of the Appalachian Trail) :)

OMG....just when I thought I may invite you to my tailgate for some venison stew and a drink of your choice, you have to go and admit you have ties to BC!! I'm not sure I can get past that.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2014, 04:36 PM

UTC has their own history of playing home games in a way-below-sub-standard facility - http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/27/chamberlain-field-final-razing-begins/

None of their players will know much about it, but their Head Coach does...

"That’s the end zone famous for the wall that players often ran into and the upward slope in the back of the end zone that caused more than a few players to stumble.
Mocs coach Russ Huesman, a safety at UTC from 1979 to ’82, made his first career interception in that end zone.
“It was a great place to play; the quirks were our home-field advantage,” Huesman said. “The wall in the end zone was unbelievable. You went uphill into the wall.
“I don’t know what it was about that field, but it flooded all the time. I remember we blocked a punt against Furman [in 1982] and the water was so deep that the ball just went underwater."

I can personally confirm that the heads of the players in the pile-ups were also underwater that night. The visitor's locker room had less charm than a Turkish prison. 'Showers' were a small trickle of cold water from a 4' high faucet & 'towels' were the size of handi-wipes with enough of them for only 1 per player (maybe).

They may play in a palace with luxury boxes now, but the Mocs definitely have some of Chamberlain Field in their DNA. They'll be just fine with the accommodations at "The Dungeon."

ZableNoise
December 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Since we're sharing stories about horrifying, old stadiums: Back when Zable Stadium was still Cary Field the visitor locker room also housed the cadaver lab.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 08:26 PM
OMG....just when I thought I may invite you to my tailgate for some venison stew and a drink of your choice, you have to go and admit you have ties to BC!! I'm not sure I can get past that.

Absolutely no ties or alliances with B.C. ...I just wanted to see New England for a summer for free.

I spent as much times at Red Sox games as I did at "work." :)

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 08:32 PM
UTC has their own history of playing home games in a way-below-sub-standard facility - http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/27/chamberlain-field-final-razing-begins/

None of their players will know much about it, but their Head Coach does...

"That’s the end zone famous for the wall that players often ran into and the upward slope in the back of the end zone that caused more than a few players to stumble.
Mocs coach Russ Huesman, a safety at UTC from 1979 to ’82, made his first career interception in that end zone.
“It was a great place to play; the quirks were our home-field advantage,” Huesman said. “The wall in the end zone was unbelievable. You went uphill into the wall.
“I don’t know what it was about that field, but it flooded all the time. I remember we blocked a punt against Furman [in 1982] and the water was so deep that the ball just went underwater."

I can personally confirm that the heads of the players in the pile-ups were also underwater that night. The visitor's locker room had less charm than a Turkish prison. 'Showers' were a small trickle of cold water from a 4' high faucet & 'towels' were the size of handi-wipes with enough of them for only 1 per player (maybe).

They may play in a palace with luxury boxes now, but the Mocs definitely have some of Chamberlain Field in their DNA. They'll be just fine with the accommodations at "The Dungeon."

FuBear knows this...

Chamberlain Field was undoubtedly a dump...but, it had charm (being that is was nearly 100 years old when it was torn down...at one point it was the 2nd oldest on campus stadium behind Harvard).

Being that teams were much smaller in number when it was built...the locker rooms were tiny. Over time they made the visiting team use the locker rooms across the street in Big Mac (Basketball gym)...because UTC used one locker room for the offense and one locker room for defense. The coach had to give two half time speeches.

Coach Huesman was a blue collar kid from Cincinnati...his team has a lot of the same characteristics. Defense first. Mean and gritty.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 08:35 PM
#8 Chattanooga at #1 New Hampshire FCS Football 2014 Playoffs Quarterfinals Game Breakdownhttp://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/10511

citdog
December 8th, 2014, 08:55 PM

new hampshire is the yankee version of the Atlanta Braves........except that the Braves actually won it.....

citdog
December 8th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Based on the the record while coach Huesman has been at UTC, if the Mocs get to 28 points first, they have a 97% percent chance of winning (31-1).

Why not tell the group who the 1 was against........

chattownmocs
December 8th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Why not tell the group who the 1 was against........

App state

citdog
December 8th, 2014, 09:02 PM
App state

That's right we only spotted you 27......

chattownmocs
December 8th, 2014, 09:03 PM
That's right we only spotted you 27......

Truth. We have blown a lot of games at 27.

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Furman is undefeated when we outscore opponents. Look it up.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Yep...the 42-41 OT game against #3 Appalachian State was on the only time in Huesman's career that his team got to 28 first and lost.

Obviously...when they score below 28...especially only 27...bad things happen.

Like losing to #1 Georgia Southern on the road 28-27...or the Citadel 28-27...or #12 Wofford 28-27...ALL IN THE SAME SEASON.

"28-27" is a substitute for the F-word in Chattanooga

ElCid
December 8th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I think NH fans are in for a shock. Not saying UTC will win but it will be much closer than folks think and UTC could definitely take it if they keep it going as they have. And I am not sure NH has faced a defense as good as UTC yet, and that includes Toledo's. The closest in defense rank of NH opponents, according to Massey, is Stoney Brook but a couple of their games skewed that rank a bit. NH has done well but they have not been especially impressive. By that I just mean they have not had a tough road. Richmond, W&M, and Fordam were the toughest opponents and they did well, especially against Fordam. But they have continued to win all year and that does say a lot. UTC's lone loss to an FCS, in OT, was to Jacksonville St, early in the season, but they are easily better than any of NHs opponents (at least according to all the computer ratings and an impartial evaluation). Samford and Indiana St (the latter also better than any of NH opponents) were both handled fairly easily by UTC. Now, I use the computer rankings to compare and folks might not give that validity, but it passes the eye test as well. I still think NH has the edge at home, but barely, even considering that UTC has an impressive road record this year (Massey has it NH by 2 and Sagarin predictor has it UTC by 5). Not sure the weather will be a factor, but it is always a wildcard. Who can tell how any team will react once they are in it (consider CCU last year in Montana). I look forward to seeing a great game. And I agree with Chattanoogamocs...it is imperative that UTC score at least 28. If they only score 27, they are screwed (if you want to see something sad, go look at their 2011 results and you will understand).

Edit: OK, you posted it right above. That was a sad season for you.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 10:04 PM
On Mocfans I picked Chattanooga to win...28-27. :)

KPSUL
December 8th, 2014, 10:15 PM
We should have won the D2 National Title in 1975 (lost to Western Kentucky? in the Semi's 14-3 but our RB Bill Burnham (my avatar) fumbled twice inside the 5 yard line and he never ever fumbled) and , a also could have won it in 76 or 77? (missed chip shot field goal in frozen Bozeman and then again missed a kick a few years ago there as well, ugh....)

Someone from Chattanooga posted a Dropkick Murphy's video of "Shipping up to Boston" and the first thought I had was of former UNH running back Bill Burnham, Bill was a tough, tough kid from the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. No doubt, he'd fit in perfectly with the Boston bad boys in the video, and would have made a great cast member in the movie "The departed". I doubt the Chatty fan that posted the video understands the significance and the fact it says a lot about the kind of kids Sean McDonnell, and before him, Bill Bowes, recruit to play for the Wildcats.

ElCid
December 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM
On Mocfans I picked Chattanooga to win...28-27. :)

I did not realize it until just now but I have NH 35 UTC 27 on my bracket...sorry.

dwtime
December 8th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Someone from Chattanooga posted a Dropkick Murphy's video of "Shipping up to Boston" and the first thought I had was of former UNH running back Bill Burnham, Bill was a tough, tough kid from the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. No doubt, he'd fit in perfectly with the Boston bad boys in the video, and would have made a great cast member in the movie "The departed". I doubt the Chatty fan that posted the video understands the significance and the fact it says a lot about the kind of kids Sean McDonnell, and before him, Bill Bowes, recruit to play for the Wildcats.

Glad you remember him KPSUL, the best short side sweep runner I've ever seen he always gained yardage even if there were 3-4 defensive players in his way.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM

I posted that video.

Dorchester...so UNH has a bunch of Southie wannabes like Marky Mark playing on the team? ;)

KPSUL
December 8th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Glad you remember him KPSUL, the best short side sweep runner I've ever seen he always gained yardage even if there were 3-4 defensive players in his way.

I was an undergrad at UNH when Bill played. I remember his toughness on and off the football field.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I was an undergrad at UNH when Bill played. I remember his toughness on and off the football field.

Toughness off the field? ...what did he do, knock over a liquor store after a game? Or maybe some low level extortion and racketeering in Durham?

KPSUL
December 8th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I posted that video.

Dorchester...so UNH has a bunch of Southie wannabes like Marky Mark playing on the team? ;)

Thanks for posting the video.

chattanoogamocs
December 8th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks for posting the video.

They were in Chattanooga earlier this year. I have always been more of a Flogging Molly fan...but I went to the DM show and fricking loved it.

I realize the significance of the video now...UNH players have lost their leg!

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I posted that video.

http://www.yeshairstyles.com/wp-content/gallery/mark-wahlberg/mark-wahlberg-alwaysgirls-com-long-hair-football-invincible-2006.jpg

Starting at WR for the New Hampshire Wildcats, Dirk Diggler

chattownmocs
December 9th, 2014, 05:55 AM
New forecast. Durham low 32 friday. Chattanooga low 28.

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Im not sold on Jacksonville State being better than any opponent UNH has faced this year (In FCS). They just lost their one opportunity to show the FCS world that they were good. Jax State comes from the OVC, and both them and Eastern Kentucky poo'ed themselves in the playoffs.

KPSUL
December 9th, 2014, 07:51 AM
The fact of the matter is that, no one posting here really has any special insight into which team will win this game and by what score or for what reasons. They are both solid teams that managed to soundly beat conference opponents and most of their OOC games. Beyond that there is no reliable indications to base judgement on. That unpredictability is what makes many of these FCS playoff games so interesting. One thing that is obvious from posting on this thread, in general, the UNH fans display a more accurate understanding of how difficult it is to win several FCS playoff games in a row. That understanding obviously comes from the experience of 11 straight FCS playoff appearances. UNH's playoff winning percentage is somewhere around .500, I'm not going to waste my time researching the exact number, it's close enough. Considering you only play the best teams in the playoffs, and most of UNH's playoff games have been on the road, We're proud of their accomplishment over the past 11 seasons.

youngMOCSfan1886
December 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I have always hated trying to predict scores. I know analyst do it on their shows but even then how often are they correct or even close to the score? There are just too many unaccounted variables that go into a football game to knowingly say what the score is going to be. UNH fans, I posted earlier about the guys to know from UTC. Who are the players from UNH to watch? I heard y'all lost a running back in the Fordham game. Will he be back for the game? Also heard about all the sacks y'all got in that game as well. Is there one specific player on the D-line or is it just a total package across the line?

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2014, 08:51 AM
This is a very veteran UNH team that I believe returned 18-22 starters from last years semifinal team, so a lot of experience.

On offense, its lead by junior QB Sean Goldrich who can really be a hit or miss. Sometimes he throws for 5 touchdowns , and other games hes turning the ball over. Hes no afraid to scramble for first downs either, which hes pretty good at (Ask Fordham). RJ Harris is an All-American WR and hes a stud. Dont forget Harold Spears at TE, who is very underrated (Although he was All-CAA). Nico Steriti is also a very talented RB, and his normal back-up Jimmy Owens got hurt Saturday. We arent sure on whats going on with Jimmy's status, but Dalton Crossan can fill in fine too.

The defense does have a solid line. I wouldnt say its amazing, but Cody Muller is a stud at defensive end, and Matt Kaplan has been a very productive DT. They really outmatched Fordham in the trenches and had 6 sacks on Fordhams first 3 drives. Pretty wild really. The linebacking core also has two returning vets who are productive, but not all world. The secondary is the biggest improvement. Casey DeAndrade and others all returned from last year and have been great all year. They really shut-down Fordhams high powered offense to one solid TD drive. The combination of the pressure from the D-Line and the great coverage gave Fordham no chance.

UNH72Plus
December 9th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I think this will probably be a close game and the key for UNH will be how they handle Huesman. We've had a history of being burned by QBs that can scramble. We didn't play Villanova this year, so we didn't have to deal with Robertson. In fact, 7 of the twelve QBs we faced had negative rushing yards for the year. The three QBs we faced that had decent rushing numbers (Williams from Dartmouth - 443 yards, Shafinsky of Lehigh - 526, and Belcher of Maine - 312) were held to 43, 3, and 19 yards, respectively. So I guess we'll have to see.

Regarding who had the tougher schedule, I'd say it was a toss up at best. Chatty played two FBS teams and Tennessee was a solid middle of the road 6-6 team that played a tough schedule, but Eastern Michigan in the Mid-America conference was a woeful 2-10. Out of 125 FBS team they ranked 117th in total defense, 121 in total offense, and 122 in total scoring. 8-4 Toledo, UNH's only loss, beat them 52-16. The CAA teams' OOC record was far from stellar, but the Southern conference was worse. They were 15-19 - 9 of those wins came against D-II teams and two others came against team with a combined record of 2-22. In fact, the only quality OOC regular season win was Citadel's win over 6-5 Charlotte.

As far as last week's games go, I'd have to say that Indiana State was probably a better all round team than Fordham, but even with a lackluster offensive performance UNH dominated their game. So, again, I guess we'll have to waited and see.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Regarding who had the tougher schedule, I'd say it was a toss up at best. Chatty played two FBS teams and Tennessee was a solid middle of the road 6-6 team that played a tough schedule, but Eastern Michigan in the Mid-America conference was a woeful 2-10. Out of 125 FBS team they ranked 117th in total defense, 121 in total offense, and 122 in total scoring. 8-4 Toledo, UNH's only loss, beat them 52-16. The CAA teams' OOC record was far from stellar, but the Southern conference was worse. They were 15-19 - 9 of those wins came against D-II teams and two others came against team with a combined record of 2-22. In fact, the only quality OOC regular season win was Citadel's win over 6-5 Charlotte.

Except the Mocs didn't play Eastern Michigan...they played Central Michigan who is going to a bowl game.

youngMOCSfan1886
December 9th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I think this will probably be a close game and the key for UNH will be how they handle Huesman. We've had a history of being burned by QBs that can scramble. We didn't play Villanova this year, so we didn't have to deal with Robertson. In fact, 7 of the twelve QBs we faced had negative rushing yards for the year. The three QBs we faced that had decent rushing numbers (Williams from Dartmouth - 443 yards, Shafinsky of Lehigh - 526, and Belcher of Maine - 312) were held to 43, 3, and 19 yards, respectively. So I guess we'll have to see.

As far as last week's games go, I'd have to say that Indiana State was probably a better all round team than Fordham, but even with a lackluster offensive performance UNH dominated their game. So, again, I guess we'll have to waited and see.

UTC played at Central Michigan, 7-5 on the year and going to a bowl game. UTC was up 16-0 and blew it to lose 20-16. For the year, Central Michigan was 83rd in total offense and 16th in total defense.

I know those directional schools can get tricky but give us a little more credit than Eastern Michigan.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 10:27 AM
http://www.yeshairstyles.com/wp-content/gallery/mark-wahlberg/mark-wahlberg-alwaysgirls-com-long-hair-football-invincible-2006.jpg

Starting at WR for the New Hampshire Wildcats, Dirk Diggler

Ironically, a former UTC player had a role in that movie. At one point, Cos DeMatteo held the FCS record for TD receptions in a game with 6. He is now the receivers coach for the Toronto Argonauts.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/1024/QL/QLWUNDOWAIZMRIS.20110208160120.JPG

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Looking at schedules, its almost impossible to tell. The FBS comparisons means nothing as both teams lost big. Its two conference champions against eachother, cant get better than that.

Check this out, if UNH wins out and plays EWU and NDSU, that means the CAA champ would have beaten the Patriot league champ, SOCON champ, Big Sky champ, and MVFC champ in consecutive weeks. Talk about a tall task!!!

chattownmocs
December 9th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Huesman isn't a scrambler either. His runs are designed.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Check this out, if UTC wins out and plays EWU and NDSU, that means the SoCon champ would have beaten the CAA champ, Big Sky champ, and MVFC champ in consecutive weeks...all on the road! Talk about a tall task!!!

Fixed it for ya. :)

WrenFGun
December 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Chattanooga will have the most success, IMO, if they can have enough success passing where UNH cannot hold a spy to keep an eye on Huesman for draws and designed runs. UNH gets in trouble when guys like Rowe, Cefalo and Knudson are being asked to cover consistently and can't be involved in the run prevention game.

I do being UNHFan@RWU identified the defense pretty well; it's more solid than superstar. With the exception of DeAndrade, Rowe, Muller and Kaplan, I'm not sure they have another above-average defender. The nice thing is that they play a lot of guys [8 DL consistently rotate, backup LB Devaughn Cholette plays a ton, and the secondary regularly also features guys like Patrick Mensah, Lamar Edmonds, Dougie Moss and others] and I think they do a good job of not getting worn down despite lots of likely long drives.

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM
The defense is improving too. Since Toledo, our points per game given up has gone down a ton. Im guessing our season average is around 16 ppg now.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2293560-fcs-playoff-bracket-2014-preview-and-predictions-for-quarterfinals#articles/2293560-fcs-playoff-bracket-2014-preview-and-predictions-for-quarterfinals

youngMOCSfan1886
December 9th, 2014, 12:11 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2293560-fcs-playoff-bracket-2014-preview-and-predictions-for-quarterfinals#articles/2293560-fcs-playoff-bracket-2014-preview-and-predictions-for-quarterfinals

Gotta say I prefer the way it was last week where everyone was picking the Trees in a close game and giving UTC a low chance of winning. This is the second major website I've seen picking the Mocs, along with college sports madness. Hopefully the players aren't paying attention and getting focused on major challenge ahead of them.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Gotta say I prefer the way it was last week where everyone was picking the Trees in a close game and giving UTC a low chance of winning. This is the second major website I've seen picking the Mocs, along with college sports madness. Hopefully the players aren't paying attention and getting focused on major challenge ahead of them.

I don't care what any website says...the Mocs are under dogs and will be lucky to only lose by 14-21 points on Friday. UNH is the #1 team in the country...the Mocs will have to play their hearts out in the frozen northeast just to keep it competitive.

:)

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Of course, there are only 8 teams left...so they are all good...very few weaknesses. At this point, every game should basically be a toss up with the home team have a slight advantage.

UNH72Plus
December 9th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Except the Mocs didn't play Eastern Michigan...they played Central Michigan who is going to a bowl game.

And it looked like such a good argument on paper! I guess I better get my eye checked.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 01:03 PM
And it looked like such a good argument on paper! I guess I better get my eye checked.

Toledo still beat up on CMU pretty badly too.

CMU was kinda up and down all year...they'd play really well against teams you woulnd't expect...but also stubbed their toe a couple of times (or lost be larger margins than expected).

Catsfan90
December 9th, 2014, 01:16 PM
If UNH scores more points than their opponents they seem to come out alright in the end. If I can remember correctly they haven't lost a single game this year where they've outscored their opponents. So look for UNH to try and score more than UTC. In the end the team who scores more will most likely when IMHO.

UNH Fanboi
December 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM
The fact of the matter is that, no one posting here really has any special insight into which team will win this game and by what score or for what reasons. They are both solid teams that managed to soundly beat conference opponents and most of their OOC games. Beyond that there is no reliable indications to base judgement on. That unpredictability is what makes many of these FCS playoff games so interesting. One thing that is obvious from posting on this thread, in general, the UNH fans display a more accurate understanding of how difficult it is to win several FCS playoff games in a row. That understanding obviously comes from the experience of 11 straight FCS playoff appearances. UNH's playoff winning percentage is somewhere around .500, I'm not going to waste my time researching the exact number, it's close enough. Considering you only play the best teams in the playoffs, and most of UNH's playoff games have been on the road, We're proud of their accomplishment over the past 11 seasons.

Exactly. There aren't many outcomes in this game that would really surprise me. There's really no good barometer for the teams' relative strength.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 01:25 PM
If UNH scores more points than their opponents they seem to come out alright in the end. If I can remember correctly they haven't lost a single game this year where they've outscored their opponents. So look for UNH to try and score more than UTC. In the end the team who scores more will most likely when IMHO.

Brilliant assessment...ESPN Game Day need to dump that FCS hating jackhole from Ohio State and put you on there. ;)

(this assessment also sounds more salient than anything Lou Holtz has said in about a decade).

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Head Coach Russ Huesman (http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=3638648&DB_OEM_ID=17700)

Opening thoughts on New Hampshire:
“This is a team that is not only good this year, but one that is traditionally good. To go to the playoffs 11 years in a row, to win as many as they have won, to be ranked for as long as they have been ranked, is a credit to their head coach Sean McDonnell and their staff. They do a remarkable job of recruiting, of getting the right people, people buying into their system. I have always been amazed with New Hampshire and how they do it. They are well-coached, and they have really good players. This will be a huge, huge task for us.”

On preparing for the big game:
“I think our guys last night at practice were focused. We had a really good practice. I think they are excited to play. I am not sure they know they are in the playoffs right now to be honest with you. After that win, I was the most excited one because we had just won a playoff game. I think our guys are not caught up in the moment.”

More on New Hampshire:
“The first thing I have to say is well-coached. They are as good of a coached team as we will play all year. They are fundamentally sound. You can see they use their hands on defense. They use the right gaps. We are not going to hit plays on them because we out-smart them or because they screw it up. We are going to have to block them. We are going to have to break tackles. They will have people there. They are well-coached on both sides of the ball. Their quarterback is really good. He reminds me of Jacob. He is a dual-threat guy. He throws it, he runs it, really good player.

"The wideout is the best player we will face this year up to this point. He is bonafide. Great player. He has 87 catches this year and is probably on some All-American teams. By far the best receiver, and maybe the best player we will face this year. Maybe with the exception of Tennessee, obviously, but that includes Central Michigan and everybody else.
They’ve got a tight end who is an all-conference guy. I am sure they’ve got a bunch of all-conference guys, but the tight end is 6-4, 250 and can run. Very athletic, excellent football player. They are typical New Hampshire up front. Physical, hard-nosed guys.”

More here: http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=209802106

Milktruck74
December 9th, 2014, 03:22 PM
^^^^ Statements like these make me appreciate Russ as our coach more and more. He is always a class act that appreciated the job others are doing and recognizes great players and great teams (but not in the Lou Holtz patronizing way). I'm excited about our chances on this one....however, I'd rather be hosting Fordham.

Mattymc727
December 9th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I think Coach Huesman said it well. UNH has never been overly talented, and will no doubt lose to teams who have a lot more talent. What UNH does well though is they are smart and fundamentally sound. Unless its a careless turnover, its pretty rare that players are making mistakes. 11 straight playoff appearances but no titles ultimately proves those thoughts. Coach Bohl said basically the same thing last year.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Tyson among those helping UTC Mocs learn to win (with video)

Aside from his obvious on-field talent, one of the most important qualities Taharin Tyson brought to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football program was a confidence that comes with expecting to win.

To turn the program around, Mocs coach Russ Huesman and his staff knew they needed more than just talented athletes, so they began emphasizing the signing of players from successful

more:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/dec/09/tyson-among-those-helping-mocs-learn-to-win/

Local players boost Chattanooga Mocs in playoff run

Earning the right to wear a college football uniform is the dream of most every player from pee-wee to the preps level. A large portion of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga roster has the added prideful bonus of wearing the power 'C' on their helmets and representing their hometown program.
A total

more:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/dec/08/local-players-boost-mocs-in-playoff-run/

youngMOCSfan1886
December 9th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I have enjoyed the amount of coverage UTC has gotten over the past few weeks, especially by the Times Free Press. Stephen Hargis has done a great job as the team's beat writer. I wish Press Row on 105.1 covered more Xs and Os about their games rather than the over/under for attendance like they did last week. But I guess that falls into the "any press is good press" category

UNH72Plus
December 9th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Hey Chattanoogamocs, I was looking at the Mocs press guide depth charts and noticed at the beginning of the year at least they had some good size on the O-line, but the D-line and linebackers looked a bit undersized. The DEs were listed at 235 to 250 and a couple of tackles were at 270. Is that still the case and does Huesman go for quickness over bulk?

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Hey Chattanoogamocs, I was looking at the Mocs press guide depth charts and noticed at the beginning of the year at least they had some good size on the O-line, but the D-line and linebackers looked a bit undersized. The DEs were listed at 235 to 250 and a couple of tackles were at 270. Is that still the case and does Huesman go for quickness over bulk?

It has definitely been Russ' M.O. to go with speed and technique over bulk on the D-Line.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Tennessee figured out how to stop Davis Tull (well, most of the time...he did still get a sack).

Double team, hold, face mask. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BztRjxRCUAETXWW.jpg

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Tull is a multiple time All-America, Buck Buchanan finalist...and an Academic All-American.

If he hadn't broken his leg his senior year of high school and scared off all the big schools recruiting him...he would probably be playing in a major bowl next month. I would say UTC was incredibly lucky to get him...but the fact is, UTC never gave up on Davis when everyone else did and he respected that loyalty by becoming a Moc. Humble, unassuming, nicest guy you could meet off the field...but on the field he carries a chip on his shoulder, always remembering those teams that passed him by. Great motivational tool!

He is currently 3rd all-time in sacks in FCS...but ironically, the best play I have seen from him was against Central Michigan on a punt return...he actually ran down their star receiver to stop a touchdown...the kid is quick.

longtimemocfan
December 9th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Tennessee figured out how to stop Davis Tull (well, most of the time...he did still get a sack).

Double team, hold, face mask. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BztRjxRCUAETXWW.jpg

Speaking of Davis Tull.. If you noticed the last game he only had 1 tackle and was out of the rotation a lot during the game....The first defensive series he got his nose dinged as well... Coach was asked about his lack of playing time even though the defense wasn't on the field a lot of plays... Coach said he was pretty dinged up and just needed rest so hopefully he will be back to more regular reps Saturday.

lydiabixby
December 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Yes, chattanoogamocs, there is so little stadium super structure as to allow an almost unlimited space for people to congregate. 6500 seats but to my knowledge no one has ever been turned away.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Yes, chattanoogamocs, there is so little stadium super structure as to allow an almost unlimited space for people to congregate. 6500 seats but to my knowledge no one has ever been turned away.

I have seen pictures and it definitely looks wide open...but it would seem that the view of the field would be terrible except for in the stands (and those are so far back from the field, they don't look great either). Y'all mind of I just come sit on the big side of the stadium with you guys? :)

Ivytalk
December 9th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Intriguing matchup. I think UNH wins, but it will be close.

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Harris big-time receiver for New Hampshire
R.J. Harris catches more than passes for the University of New Hampshire. The senior receiver also was quick to catch the attention of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga coaching staff.

While the top-ranked Wildcats have plenty of other offensive weapons for UTC to contend with, how well the Mocs defend the 6-foot, 201-pound FCS All-America receiver could determine who advances into the playoff semifinals.

"This kid is big and fast and has unbelievable ball skills," said UTC coach Russ Huesman, who didn't hesitate when asked to compare Harris with Central Michigan's all-conference wideout Titus Davis to say that Harris was better. "He's the best receiver we have seen, other than maybe the ones at Tennessee, all season.

More: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/dec/10/harris-big-time-receiver-for-new-hampshire/

youngMOCSfan1886
December 10th, 2014, 08:54 AM
The match up with Harris is what scares me the most about this game, especially after watching the Trees WRs consistently get behind our secondary. A lot of people in chatt have talked about how the Mocs held the All-American WR from Central Michigan to 1 catch. What those fans might have forgotten is that he got injured in that game and even with a hobbled leg he had a real nice punt return that he would have scored on if he wasn't hurt. It is gonna come down to the D-line putting pressure on the QB. I expect UTC to have a safety shaded to Harris' side the whole night.

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Fordham actually did a good job covering Harris, who other than a ridiculous catch in triple coverage, didnt have much of a game. Fordham had a very good CB that covered Harris pretty well with a safety shade. However that left TE Harold Spears and WR Jared Allison open all day. UNH has A LOT of receiving talent and always has.

I agree, get pressure on the QB and get his game off kilter. The UNH oline has been pretty good all year, so the matchup in the trenches will be the key. The more I think about it, come playoff time, its always about the battle of the trenches. When UNH wins, its because the Oline and Dlines won. When we lose, they were overmatched.

UNH72Plus
December 10th, 2014, 09:05 AM
The value of RJ on the field was really evident last week when Steriti threw a dying quail halfback option pass into triple coverage and RJ came down with ball for 34 yards and a first down.

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
The value of RJ on the field was really evident last week when Steriti threw a dying quail halfback option pass into triple coverage and RJ came down with ball for 34 yards and a first down.

Still dont know how he caught it. How Fordham didnt pick that off I will never know.

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Still dont know how he caught it. How Fordham didnt pick that off I will never know.

My reaction was: "YOU IDIOT YOU IDIOT YOU IDIOT YOU IDIOT BRILLIANT!"

UNHWildcat18
December 10th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I may make a sign to hold Friday while in the student section. Anyone want me to put anything on it? I was thinking about putting AGS and my username on it to see if anyone sees it on TV

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I Make a sign to hold Friday while in the student section. Anyone want me to put anything on it? I was thinking about putting AGS and my username on it to see if anyone sees it on TV

Yes. "No gadget plays inside the five yard line, please and thanks!"

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Game Notes are up:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/fball/2014-15/files/FB_notes_NCAAquarter.pdf

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Hey Chattown, where are you? All these smart, humble Mocs fans are making me bored....I need you to come through and say something ridiculous.

Twentysix
December 10th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Chattanooga by 500. Why? Because Chattanooga. Duh.

- - - Updated - - -

Chatty's D is so athletic that UNH will be lucky to even get into the stadium.

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Chattanooga by 500. Why? Because Chattanooga. Duh.

- - - Updated - - -

Chatty's D is so athletic that UNH will be lucky to even get into the stadium.

Thats better! Im all giddy inside just thinking what an honor it is that my Wildcats will get to be on the same field as the best football player in history, THE Davis Tull

- - - Updated - - -

Im not sure UNH can win this one without Ditka.

chattownmocs
December 10th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Hey Chattown, where are you? All these smart, humble Mocs fans are making me bored....I need you to come through and say something ridiculous.

New Hampshire is in trouble. Chattanooga is a better team across the board. Offense, defense, special teams. Chattanooga will win and possibly big.

UNH72Plus
December 10th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Yes. "No gadget plays inside the five yard line, please and thanks!"

Wren, I tend to agree with you, but in defense of the calls last week, the only one that didn't work was the statue of liberty fumble. By putting those plays in last week it would seem that Chatty would have to spend some practice time setting their D to address the formations. That mega-spread formation worked and left open the option of the flanker screen with O-linemen to block if the D loaded up on the center of the field.

Mattymc727
December 10th, 2014, 11:31 AM
New Hampshire is in trouble. Chattanooga is a better team across the board. Offense, defense, special teams. Chattanooga will win and possibly big.

How can you tell?

UNHWildcat18
December 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM

thats what people said about app state when maine rolled in to play them 2010. Didn't turn out very well for app state

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2014, 11:38 AM
thats what people said about app state when maine rolled in to play them 2010. Didn't turn out very well for app state

So an under dog played the higher seed on the road and won big? If I were a UNH fan, not sure that is the example I would use in this situation. ;)

chattownmocs
December 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=55712&id=3593436

We ready.

chattownmocs
December 10th, 2014, 11:45 AM

Its funny because we are the lower seed on the road and everyone here seems to think yall will win except Chattanooga fans.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Wren, I tend to agree with you, but in defense of the calls last week, the only one that didn't work was the statue of liberty fumble. By putting those plays in last week it would seem that Chatty would have to spend some practice time setting their D to address the formations. That mega-spread formation worked and left open the option of the flanker screen with O-linemen to block if the D loaded up on the center of the field.

Mercer ran that same formation against Chatt this year for a series...and it didn't work very well. Ran it against Campbell for a quick TD last year, but the Mocs seemed ready for it. Don't know if they prepared by watching film from the prior year or if they are just smart enough on D to quickly adjust, but they had all of the multiple options that formation gives the QB pretty well covered. I'm told the 'ol Ball Coach (Spurrier, for those New Englanders that may be unfamiliar with SEC Football) 'invented' that Split-out-the-tackles formation and has had some success with it over the years. I believe NH's version actually was also unbalanced, which kinda adds a new wrinkle to it...but I don't think trick plays are the way to beat the Mocs - 1 thing is...stop or heavily contain #14's running and passing and you probably win. If you don't do that, you're gonna have to score a lot of points and Chatt is pretty salty on D. IMO, they will lose when they play an offense that is better than their D or one that is able to exploit the inexperienced (though very athletic and getting less inexperienced every week) players in their back 7.

UNHWildcat18
December 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Its funny because we are the lower seed on the road and everyone here seems to think yall will win except Chattanooga fans.

I was just simply stating regardless of seed or home/away you think you are better on all fronts across the board. I'm sure many non tree fans think you will win

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 12:27 PM
xlolx

KPSUL
December 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM

Not true. You've got CitDog firmly in your corner. Although he is so delusional that he thinks the civil war never ended.

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I like being the under dog. No pressure on the Mocs...unlike UNH who choked the last time in the quarters at home when they were the #1 seed.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I like being the under dog. No pressure on the Mocs...unlike UNH who choked the last time in the quarters at home when they were the #1 seed.

This deep in the playoffs, you better respect all of your opponents. Hope your players aren't as overly confident as you. I think you will get your comeuppance on Saturday. UNH 72 Mocs 3

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2014, 12:54 PM
This deep in the playoffs, you better respect all of your opponents. Hope your players aren't as overly confident as you. I think you will get your comeuppance on Saturday. UNH 72 Mocs 3

You obviously haven't read much of this thread if you think I am acting overly confident...that or you can't figure out the difference between someone named chattownmocs and chattanoogamocs...I have been saying this is a toss up game all week (which vegas, massey, sagarin, etc all agree with).

But if someone wants to throw around a little smack, I am happy to oblige. I cut my teeth smack talking with GSU fans when they were great and the Mocs sucked...not much I can't handle after that. :)

Of course, I have read plenty of Sam Houston comments this week too...maybe you should use that same advice on some of your own fans. Just sayin'

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 01:01 PM
You obviously haven't read much of this thread if you think I am acting overly confident...that or you can't figure out the difference between someone named chattownmocs and chattanoogamocs...I have been saying this is a toss up game all week (which vegas, massey, sagarin, etc all agree with).

But if someone wants to throw around a little smack, I am happy to oblige. I cut my teeth smack talking with GSU fans when they were great and the Mocs sucked...not much I can't handle after that. :)

Of course, I have read plenty of Sam Houston comments this week too...maybe you should use that same advice on some of your own fans. Just sayin'

that or you can't figure out the difference between someone named chattownmocs and chattanoogamocs

My bad. Guilty as charged. When I read, by the time I get to the second "t" in your names it is all just bells and whistles at that point. Accept my apology. Revison: UNH 35 MOCS 34 - Close game..

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2014, 01:03 PM
that or you can't figure out the difference between someone named chattownmocs and chattanoogamocs

My bad. Guilty as charged. When I read, by the time I get to the second "t" in your names it is all just bells and whistles at that point. Accept my apology. Revison: UNH 35 MOCS 34 - Close game..

Apology accepted...unfortunately it happens a lot...and the irony is, I am typically the anti-chattown comment wise. If you see the big Scottish flag avatar (I use that on purpose to try and stick out)...it's not chattown. :)

KPSUL
December 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM

I will be more like last year when we defeated another highly touted FCS playoff upstart in a hard-fought game during the Quarterfinals. Far more recent, and relevant, comparison.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Apology accepted...unfortunately it happens a lot...and the irony is, I am typically the anti-chattown comment wise. If you see the big Scottish flag avatar (I use that on purpose to try and stick out)...it's not chattown. :)

Bloody fine, me Scottish lad. Let us meet at the pub for a ye bit of ale.

Catsfan90
December 10th, 2014, 01:25 PM
What was Chattanooga doing back than?

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM
What was Chattanooga doing back than?

...we weren't losing in the playoffs, that's what. ;)

Catsfan90
December 10th, 2014, 02:11 PM
...we weren't losing in the playoffs, that's what. ;)
That's a good strategy! Avoid playing in them, so you don't have to worry about losing in them.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 10th, 2014, 03:05 PM
That's a good strategy! Avoid playing in them, so you don't have to worry about losing in them.

I've never been dumped by an SI swimsuit model

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I've never been dumped by an SI swimsuit model

Are you not counting that guy from the Corona advertisement?

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2014, 03:19 PM

I just tell people that the Mocs have been resting up for this for 30 years...playoffs are a grind, gotta be well rested to perform your best.

Catsfan90
December 10th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I just tell people that the Mocs have been resting up for this for 30 years...playoffs are a grind, gotta be well rested to perform your best.
When I was stationed in North Carolina I'd hear that excuse a lot. It always came from the guys with lifted trucks and confederate flags.....but they were referring to something else. Btw, I apologise in advance for our lack of breakfast foods with gravy. As well as heavily sweetened iced tea!