PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinals: Coastal Carolina at North Dakota State

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

centennial
December 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I expect another great game. With the game vs SDSU, just glad to be here.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I think CCU has the horses this year to do it. Will they? I don't know but I really like their team and coach.

centennial
December 6th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I think CCU has the horses this year to do it. Will they? I don't know but I really like their team and coach.
I definitely think that have the horses to do it. I watched a couple games from them, vs Liberty was probably their worst performance.

CasualFan
December 6th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Be a man.
- Coach Moglia

In order to be the man, you've gotta beat the man.
- Ric Flair

Hopefully our players aren't intimidated by last year's game. Looking forward to it!

centennial
December 6th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Be a man.
- Coach Moglia

In order to be the man, you've gotta beat the man.
- Ric Flair

Hopefully our players aren't intimidated by last year's game. Looking forward to it!
We aren't even close to as good as the last year. The real question is how big the gap still is?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2014, 06:30 PM

They had the horses last year. Who did they get to replace Taliaferro?

344Johnson
December 6th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Hope it's a better game than last year.

Bison56
December 6th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Coastal fans what has changed from last year? Haven't had a chance to watch the chants play this year so don't know much about the team. Thanks for the info in advance.

IBleedYellow
December 6th, 2014, 06:48 PM
From what our media relations director has said it looks like we once again will be on ESPN on Saturday morning.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

CasualFan
December 6th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Coastal fans what has changed from last year? Haven't had a chance to watch the chants play this year so don't know much about the team. Thanks for the info in advance.
A little less offense, a little more defense. Defense has been giving up yards, but not a lot of points.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM
NDSU leads by 10 at half, pulls away and ultimately wins by 24. Closest game on their way to 4 straight is the SDSU game, although I do believe Illinois State matches up well. Red birds have massive O & D-lines, extremely mobile QB.

centennial
December 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
NDSU leads by 10 at half, pulls away and ultimately wins by 24. Closest game on their way to 4 straight is the SDSU game, although I do believe Illinois State matches up well. Red birds have massive O & D-lines, extremely mobile QB.
I do NOT want to play ISU red. They looked as good as NDSU.

Drblankstare
December 6th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I really don't know what to think at this point. I seriously doubt it's going to come close to the Bison game I watched today.

rokamortis
December 6th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Hope it's a better game than last year.

Me too. Last year was disappointing. Hopefully having played there last year has prepared us somewhat for the atmosphere this year.

Southern Bison
December 6th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I watched CCU vs. Furman & UNC-Charlotte this season. Even with their experience in the Fargodome last year, I don't see Coastal doing much more than they did last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM
CCU had a tough road last year. They won in an opening round game then had to travel to Missoula and play in legit -8 weather. I could not get back to Montana that week from the east coast due the severe cold in Bozeman and ice storm that was going on the Texas and other parts of the south. Last year NDSU was among the best teams in FCS history.

This year is very much different for both teams. I expect a much closer game....

rokamortis
December 6th, 2014, 08:06 PM
CCU had a tough road last year. They won in an opening round game then had to travel to Missoula and play in legit -8 weather. I could not get back to Montana that week from the east coast due the severe cold in Bozeman and ice storm that was going on the Texas and other parts of the south. Last year NDSU was among the best teams in FCS history.

This year is very much different for both teams. I expect a much closer game....

While the travel two weeks in a row was brutal - I was expecting a better showing he NDSU but they showed why they deserved to be national champs. I think we ran into a bit of a buzz saw though since Furman gave them a bit of a better game than expected, we had a highly touted offense, and the situation with Bohl leaving seemed to strengthen the team.

Anyway, a new year and a chance to play better than last.

Beachdude
December 6th, 2014, 08:43 PM
While the travel two weeks in a row was brutal - I was expecting a better showing he NDSU but they showed why they deserved to be national champs. I think we ran into a bit of a buzz saw though since Furman gave them a bit of a better game than expected, we had a highly touted offense, and the situation with Bohl leaving seemed to strengthen the team.

Anyway, a new year and a chance to play better than last.

Agreed. While NDSU is undoubtedly top tier, they have shown that they are vulnerable, unlike last year. CCU is a much more rounded team this year than last, with the defense doing a good job at keeping teams out of the end zone when it matters. If CCU can establish their running game and control their nerves, then they have the horses to win this one. I don't think they will be intimidated like they were last year, even though the Chant offense was more potent last year. So at the very least, CCU will (should) make a better game out of it.

proasu89
December 6th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I'm a Chanticleer fan next weekend!

Bisonator
December 6th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I don't even want to think about this game yet. xdrunkyx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Bring on CC again.

CC got pushed around on both sides of the ball last year in the trenches. Will it be any different this year? We'll see.

SIUSalukiFan
December 6th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Go North Dakota State!

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2014, 11:10 PM
I'm just pumped to get to listen to Joe Moglia for the next week. He and Joe Glenn at South Dakota are by far my favorite opposing coaches. He's unfiltered, funny, and above all honest which is really a rare trait in college head coaches these days.

As for the game I think NDSU's defense has shown some vulnerability to the run this year and CCU is 23rd in the country in rush offense at 209 yards per game so there's a big key right there. I think if the Bison defense can shore up that run defense they'll likely win this game by a at least a score or two but shoring up the run defense isn't a given.

My guess is the Bison will be missing their top WR Zach Vraa with a hamstring injury but I think Carson Wentz is playing his best football of the season right now so I think the Bison offense will be able to put up some points. In the end I'll take the Bison 31-20. I think they survived a tougher team in the Jackrabbits from SDSU today.

344Johnson
December 6th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Bring on CC again.

CC got pushed around on both sides of the ball last year in the trenches. Will it be any different this year? We'll see.

Neither of our lines are remotely close to last year.

Still expect a victory by at least 2 tds

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I do NOT want to play ISU red. They looked as good as NDSU.
I wouldn't mind seeing them in Frisco. I know everyone at AGS would love that the de facto MVFC championship game would also be the FCS national championship game :D

tomq04
December 6th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I can't help but feeling when watching east coast teams, that they are playing in slow motion compared to how NDSU, SHSU, EWU, MT and MTST have played all year.

I can't imagine a world where NDSU doesn't win handily.

NDSUSR
December 6th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I'm just pumped to get to listen to Joe Moglia for the next week. He and Joe Glenn at South Dakota are by far my favorite opposing coaches. He's unfiltered, funny, and above all honest which is really a rare trait in college head coaches these days.

As for the game I think NDSU's defense has shown some vulnerability to the run this year and CCU is 23rd in the country in rush offense at 209 yards per game so there's a big key right there. I think if the Bison defense can shore up that run defense they'll likely win this game by a at least a score or two but shoring up the run defense isn't a given.

My guess is the Bison will be missing their top WR Zach Vraa with a hamstring injury but I think Carson Wentz is playing his best football of the season right now so I think the Bison offense will be able to put up some points. In the end I'll take the Bison 31-20. I think they survived a tougher team in the Jackrabbits from SDSU today.

I think Vraa will play.

FargoBison
December 6th, 2014, 11:35 PM

DL is close. Not as deep but still very talented.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I think Vraa will play.
I hope so but hamstring injuries to WRs are often problematic. I may just be thinking of how hard it was for former NDSU WR Ryan Smith to come back from a tweaked hamstring but Vraa did come back right away after what looked to be a severely sprained ankle against Western Illinois so you never know. If he can play and be effective that's a big plus for the NDSU receiving corps as, despite Urzendowski's heroics today, Vraa is by far NDSU's best WR and really the only WR that can draw double coverage consistently.

Bisonwinagn
December 6th, 2014, 11:52 PM
This game will be closer than last year cause CC won't be intimidated by the Dome environment and they are more experienced. Although I think NDSU matches up better with them than they did with SDSU.

B.T.C.
December 6th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I can't help but feeling when watching east coast teams, that they are playing in slow motion compared to how NDSU, SHSU, EWU, MT and MTST have played all year.

I have no doubt there is some bias on both sides to this because when I've watched NDSU, SDSU, MTST, etc. games I too have been surprised with how slow it feels like those teams are playing compared to what we do. In the end, there probably isn't a tremendous difference other than NDSU tends to be a ball-control type offense while we are an up-tempo no-huddle offense (a lot of the time, at least).

Someone asked what's different since last year. We did lose Taliaferro who was a workhorse, but we also gained a more explosive back in Hop Henderson who is only a Soph. Between Henderson, Abercrombie, and Johnson, we have more of a home run hitting cast in the backfield than last year and in many ways it works with the tempo of our offense a lot better than the grinding style that Zo brought to the table (not to take anything away from the awesome year Zo had).

We lost our top three wideouts since last year, but it hasn't proven to hinder our passing game as Alex Ross is at 3,200 yards passing (20 TDs, 6 INT, 780 yards rushing, 66% passing). Much of that has to do with the fact that last year was Ross' first as a starter, so he was pretty green heading into the playoffs (let alone venturing up to the Fargodome of all places). I think the experience of last season's playoff run and another full year this season has him ready. (Personally, I think next year is our year as we lose next to nothing on offense.)

Any team or fan that says their squad is going to go into Fargo and bring home a victory is lying or delusional. It just doesn't happen. But the fact is I rather Coastal have a shot to be that program that does so than to not. If anyone is going to take down the mighty Bison, I want it to be us.

Best of luck next weekend!

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I have no doubt there is some bias on both sides to this because when I've watched NDSU, SDSU, MTST, etc. games I too have been surprised with how slow it feels like those teams are playing compared to what we do. In the end, there probably isn't a tremendous difference other than NDSU tends to be a ball-control type offense while we are an up-tempo no-huddle offense (a lot of the time, at least).

Someone asked what's different since last year. We did lose Taliaferro who was a workhorse, but we also gained a more explosive back in Hop Henderson who is only a Soph. Between Henderson, Abercrombie, and Johnson, we have more of a home run hitting cast in the backfield than last year and in many ways it works with the tempo of our offense a lot better than the grinding style that Zo brought to the table (not to take anything away from the awesome year Zo had).

We lost our top three wideouts since last year, but it hasn't proven to hinder our passing game as Alex Ross is at 3,200 yards passing (20 TDs, 6 INT, 780 yards rushing, 66% passing). Much of that has to do with the fact that last year was Ross' first as a starter, so he was pretty green heading into the playoffs (let alone venturing up to the Fargodome of all places). I think the experience of last season's playoff run and another full year this season has him ready. (Personally, I think next year is our year as we lose next to nothing on offense.)

Any team or fan that says their squad is going to go into Fargo and bring home a victory is lying or delusional. It just doesn't happen. But the fact is I rather Coastal have a shot to be that program that does so than to not. If anyone is going to take down the mighty Bison, I want it to be us.

Best of luck next weekend!

I'm pretty sure he meant that the east coast teams are in slow motion compared to the other teams. Ndsu stomps them again.

citdog
December 7th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Sorry to my Bison Friends but my heart and my loyalty will always be for

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8492666632_0a5e1865ca.jpg

http://legprint.mainspring-test.com/images/symbols/pledge.jpg

For the GLORY of South Carolina! GO CHANTICLEERS!

B.T.C.
December 7th, 2014, 01:59 AM
I'm pretty sure he meant that the east coast teams are in slow motion compared to the other teams. Ndsu stomps them again.

Yeah. Got that. And replied to it. xeyebrowx

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Yeah. Got that. And replied to it. xeyebrowx

Ah my apologies. Thought you misread him. Turns out your just wrong ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2014, 05:47 AM

Totally disagree.

DL has been a very good surprise this year. NDSU is #3 in total defense and still #1 in scoring defense.

The O-line might be a small step behind last year's unit but they are still very good. They seem to make a few more mistakes but NDSU still rushes for 235/game and Carson has all day to throw the ball. Some of the penalties are frustrating but they are a good unit.

GABison
December 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Funny you say that. On the radio, it sounded like the CAA officials got involved in a couple plays at the start of the game. Maybe took them a little while to get acclimated to MVFC play.:)

jmrepak
December 7th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Sorry to my Bison Friends but my heart and my loyalty will always be for

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8492666632_0a5e1865ca.jpg

http://legprint.mainspring-test.com/images/symbols/pledge.jpg

For the GLORY of South Carolina! GO CHANTICLEERS!
Did hell just freeze?

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2014, 08:30 AM
20268...............20269..........BRAWK!

semobison
December 7th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Totally disagree.

DL has been a very good surprise this year. NDSU is #3 in total defense and still #1 in scoring defense.

The O-line might be a small step behind last year's unit but they are still very good. They seem to make a few more mistakes but NDSU still rushes for 235/game and Carson has all day to throw the ball. Some of the penalties are frustrating but they are a good unit.

Our rush defense is not where we were last year, in Valley play ypc and ypg against our defense was quite a bit higher than last year. Our pass defense and sacks statisticly were better this year though. We have been very tough to throw on this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Our rush defense is not where we were last year, in Valley play ypc and ypg against our defense was quite a bit higher than last year. Our pass defense and sacks statisticly were better this year though. We have been very tough to throw on this year.

They don't have to be "where they were last year". They are still a good run stopping unit and pass coverage team.

#3 total defense and #1 scoring defense speaks for itself...xnodx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
initial thought is Coastal will somehow stay in the game this year, not predicting any upsets just yet but is there anyone who thinks they wont be better challenge this year....

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM

UZ is the new Vraa!

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
The Bison are closer to the pack this year. Fans got spoiled last year with a dominant team and not Georgia Southern to give the Bison a battle. CCU game will be much closer than last year, and CCU can win this game. If the Bison continue to get 11-12 penalties a game, the chances of winning are reduced. Here's to a great game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM
The Bison are closer to the pack this year. Fans got spoiled last year with a dominant team and not Georgia Southern to give the Bison a battle. CCU game will be much closer than last year, and CCU can win this game. If the Bison continue to get 11-12 penalties a game, the chances of winning are reduced. Here's to a great game.

The penalties are very frustrating. SDSU's first scoring drive was kept alive by 2 or 3 penalties...:(

semobison
December 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Way too many procedure penalties yesterday, Id say half a dozen, at home? That is an issue! I agree with Gil, we are closer to the pack this year. I expect a closer game with Coastal this time around but they wont be as physical as the Jacks! Play clean football and we could wear them out!

KPSUL
December 7th, 2014, 06:19 PM

You've strained your eyes trying to distinguish those red jerseys from the red playing surface.

KPSUL
December 7th, 2014, 06:24 PM

You've strained your eyes from trying to distinquish red jerseys on a red field while watching ESPN3 on a laptop computer.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I think the team on this side of the bracket that NDSU needs to watch out for is Nova.

CCU will I think have the same issues that they had last year, big time issues matching up with NDSU's physical style of play.

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM
NDSU physically destroyed Coastal last year. It wasn't even a contest. Coastal will need to come out with a stronger tougher football mentality than last year. If they are still a finesse offense, and don't play physically, they will be pounded on again.

You never know thought, NDSU has a high amount of procedure penalties, and you can bet on Andrew Bonnet and one of our lineman(can't remember who) to give them two false starts (13 for 13) on both of them.

Beachdude
December 7th, 2014, 08:33 PM
NDSU physically destroyed Coastal last year. It wasn't even a contest. Coastal will need to come out with a stronger tougher football mentality than last year. If they are still a finesse offense, and don't play physically, they will be pounded on again.

You never know thought, NDSU has a high amount of procedure penalties, and you can bet on Andrew Bonnet and one of our lineman(can't remember who) to give them two false starts (13 for 13) on both of them.

Coastal is 'smallish' on the lines, particularly on the defensive line. But the Richmond game is a textbook example of how to exploit a bigger line. Richmond was #1 in the nation in 3rd down conversions, and CCU held them to 2-13 on 3rd down and 0-1 on 4th.
That being said, I don't expect this same game plan to be as successful on the Bison, but do expect Moglia to have his lines prepared to deal with the size differentials. CCU can win this game if the Bison are not on top of theirs, but in all reality, I see the Bison winning, but just not as dominating as last year. As someone else said, I see next year being CCU's if the current improvement pattern continues.

CasualFan
December 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Coastal is 'smallish' on the lines, particularly on the defensive line. But the Richmond game is a textbook example of how to exploit a bigger line. Richmond was #1 in the nation in 3rd down conversions, and CCU held them to 2-13 on 3rd down and 0-1 on 4th.
That being said, I don't expect this same game plan to be as successful on the Bison, but do expect Moglia to have his lines prepared to deal with the size differentials. CCU can win this game if the Bison are not on top of theirs, but in all reality, I see the Bison winning, but just not as dominating as last year. As someone else said, I see next year being CCU's if the current improvement pattern continues.
Next year? Some big holes to fill -- Quinn Backus and 3/5 of the o-line will graduate. I think it's roughly 7 starters total?

I want to see improvement. You know, give 100%, BAM, etc. Last year's game was pretty rough. They looked like deer in the headlights.

B.T.C.
December 7th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Next year? Some big holes to fill -- Quinn Backus and 3/5 of the o-line will graduate. I think it's roughly 7 starters total?

I want to see improvement. You know, give 100%, BAM, etc. Last year's game was pretty rough. They looked like deer in the headlights.

All of the skill position players return on offense. I'll take my chances with Moglia & Co. slotting in new O-Linemen and us having a upperclass laden offense at the skill positions any day. I don't have any doubts that we *could* make noise in Fargo, but 2015 is the year for us to make our title push.

tomq04
December 7th, 2014, 11:04 PM
I'll expand my post from earlier.

NDSU MONT and UNI on defense just swarm the ball, always looks to be in total control, and speed is a huge part of that.

Ewu, idaho state, montana state, we're the same but on offense.

I watched 2 costal games and watch them run a similar offense to EWU, and despite snapping the ball at the same pace, they didn't have the same "snappy" feel, hard to describe.

I never saw anyone play defense like the 3 mentioned above, but I didn't go out of my way to watch tons of games.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Will North Dakota State be overconfident coming into this game? Complacency after last year's route ....another cakewalk at home. You had a great run north Dakota state but all good things must come to an end.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Will North Dakota State be overconfident coming into this game? Complacency after last year's route ....another cakewalk at home. You had a great run north Dakota state but all good things must come to an end.

Combine the fact that this is the playoff quarterfinals and the slugfest the Bison had to battle through last week I don't think complacency/overconfidence will be the issue. This is something NDSU has battled since winning their first title in January 2012 and I'd say they've handled it quite well. Coastal is a good team though so if the Bison play sloppy they could be in for another nail biter but at this point I'd say it's more likely that sloppy play is a result of the quality of competition and the pressure of the raised stakes in playoffs rather than complacency.

stevdock
December 8th, 2014, 04:21 AM
Combine the fact that this is the playoff quarterfinals and the slugfest the Bison had to battle through last week I don't think complacency/overconfidence will be the issue. This is something NDSU has battled since winning their first title in January 2012 and I'd say they've handled it quite well. Coastal is a good team though so if the Bison play sloppy they could be in for another nail biter but at this point I'd say it's more likely that sloppy play is a result of the quality of competition and the pressure of the raised stakes in playoffs rather than complacency.

Agreed. Complacency will not be an issue this week as I think we will see more focus due to a banged up team. Will NDSU be fresh enough for this game? The SDSU game was very physical and even though I haven't heard the injury report, we've got a bunch of guys that are banged up from last week.

X-Factor
December 8th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Reaching a bit, eh?

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 05:39 AM
I'm just glad they'll let us play on their field again after last year. A nice tune-up game before you get to some real competition.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2014, 06:23 AM
I'm just glad they'll let us play on their field again after last year. A nice tune-up game before you get to some real competition.

Are you a SIU fan/poster in disguise?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2014, 06:40 AM
CC better give #73 some help on Emanuel or he is going to get eaten alive.

NDSU is going to see a lot of 3-4 WR sets in this game.

It is going to come down to if CC can stop the run. NDSU is going to pound the ball and if CC cannot stop it, they will get run out of the FD.

NDSU ran for 424 yards last year and had 623 total yards. Will this happen again?

bodoyle
December 8th, 2014, 07:26 AM
A lot of you guys have mentioned penalties being more of an issue this year. Is that because of inexperience, or is it discipline in your opinions?

Also, Moglia says time and again that with our offense we will take whatever you give us; be it the run or pass. Some of you have mentioned that NDSU is a little weaker against the run this year. Is that due to attrition/graduation, or a different defensive scheme?

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2014, 08:16 AM
A lot of you guys have mentioned penalties being more of an issue this year. Is that because of inexperience, or is it discipline in your opinions?

Also, Moglia says time and again that with our offense we will take whatever you give us; be it the run or pass. Some of you have mentioned that NDSU is a little weaker against the run this year. Is that due to attrition/graduation, or a different defensive scheme?

I'd attribute the increased penalties more to discipline offensively. NDSU doesn't do a lot of exotic motions and realignment pre-snap yet even at home they've gotten a lot of procedure penalties this year.

Defensively the Bison have been a bit more susceptible to the run this year compared to the last two but the pass defense has been as good as ever. I think losing 3 of their top 4 DTs from last year is a big part of the reason why teams have run it better on NDSU this year but they're still only allowing 3.3 yards per carry.

THE HERD
December 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM

We do have basically three new starters on the our Oline, so a lot of the procedure penalties are probably from inexperience, but its late enough in the year that that excuse might not fly anymore. As far as not bieng quite as tough against the run this year, I would chalk up to lack of depth at the interior Dline. Our starters this year are very comparable to last year, the differnce is was last year we had four or five guys rotating on those interior Dline spots and they were alll very good, so there was no let down no matter who was in there and we stayed fresh all the time. This year we do not have that kind of depth, but don't get me wrong we are still a pretty salty bunch against the run this year as well and I haven't even looked at the yards per carry this year as compared to last....it can't be to much worse I know that.

THE HERD
December 8th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Question for you Chant fans....How many D lineman are returning starters for you guys? Just wondering, because thats where you guys really got dominated in last years game.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Question for you Chant fans....How many D lineman are returning starters for you guys? Just wondering, because thats where you guys really got dominated in last years game.

Return 2 out of 4 starters but one current starter had significant playing time last year

AmsterBison
December 8th, 2014, 08:46 AM
We do have basically three new starters on the our Oline, so a lot of the procedure penalties are probably from inexperience, but its late enough in the year that that excuse might not fly anymore.

Lots of false starts from our WR/TEs too. It's baffling. And, yeah, NDSU is more vulnerable to the run this year, giving up .6 yards more per carry.

BTW, Coastal doesn't look small in the video I've seen - they played bigger than Richmond, that's for sure. And NDSU only sacked Ross once last year and that was when their entire offensive line cut block instead of doing normal pass blocking. On D, they've got some 6-1 270 guys in the middle who have pretty good leverage. Against NDSU last year, they were playing 6 guys on the LOS a lot and bring 8 or 9 to stop the run. NDSU missed a wide open WRs on deep balls at least twice - in that way, maybe NDSU matches up better this year than last year.

And, holy cow, did Ross have a terrible game last year - way off target. Based on his numbers this year, that probably won't happen again.

gumby013
December 8th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Lots of false starts from our WR/TEs too. It's baffling. And, yeah, NDSU is more vulnerable to the run this year, giving up .6 yards more per carry.

BTW, Coastal doesn't look small in the video I've seen - they played bigger than Richmond, that's for sure. And NDSU only sacked Ross once last year and that was when their entire offensive line cut block instead of doing normal pass blocking. On D, they've got some 6-1 270 guys in the middle who have pretty good leverage. Against NDSU last year, they were playing 6 guys on the LOS a lot and bring 8 or 9 to stop the run. NDSU missed a wide open WRs on deep balls at least twice - in that way, maybe NDSU matches up better this year than last year.

And, holy cow, did Ross have a terrible game last year - way off target. Based on his numbers this year, that probably won't happen again.

Don't forget, at least one false start per game from one of the full backs.

AmsterBison
December 8th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Don't forget, at least one false start per game from one of the full backs.

Yeah, I was counting Andrew Bonnet as a TE for some reason (probably because it seems like he spends more time outside the tackles than in.) Still, glad he's on our team.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Based on his numbers last year that doesn't happen either :)

I think our entire offense was out of sorts, equal parts NDSU's awesome D and the mighty Bison fans with a little sprinkle of back to back cross country travel mixed in there.

I hope we can give you guys a better game this go around.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM

I think our o-line is pretty decent size / strength wise. I do think our front 7 on D are a undersized - but they bust their tail every play.

Jacks02
December 8th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I don't see Coastal staying within 3 scores. NDSU is a machine and it will take a similar smash mouth style to beat them, like UNI did and SDSU almost did.

34-10 Bison.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I think our o-line is pretty decent size / strength wise. I do think our front 7 on D are a undersized - but they bust their tail every play.

IMO, the Bison coaches are going to come out and test your front 7 a lot right away to see if they can hold up stopping the run. Guys that are outweighed by 40-50 will get gassed by the 2nd half.

I did like the CC passing game. Quick passes and crossing patterns do work against the Tampa-2. NDSU needs a good pass rush to disrupt the CC passing game.

I'm looking forward to Moglia's quotes this week.....man, I like him.

xthumbsupx

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM
IMO, the Bison coaches are going to come out and test your front 7 a lot right away to see if they can hold up stopping the run. Guys that are outweighed by 40-50 will get gassed by the 2nd half.

They play against guys as big as NDSU. Look at the last 2 games, Liberty and Richmond lines are a comparable size with the Bison OL. The defense did fine with both of those games. They may get beat by NDSU, but it won't be just because you are bigger.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM
They play against guys as big as NDSU. Look at the last 2 games, Liberty and Richmond lines are a comparable size with the Bison OL. The defense did fine with both of those games. They may get beat by NDSU, but it won't be just because you are bigger.

Liberty and Richmond are not power running teams like NDSU. Not many teams run this style of offense.

Just saying that after the Bison ran for 424 yards against CC last year, I'm sure the NDSU coaches are going to "test' the CC run defense again. Hats off to CC if they contain the Bison running game.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Just saying that after the Bison ran for 424 yards against CC last year, I'm sure the NDSU coaches are going to "test' the CC run defense again. Hats off to CC if they contain the Bison running game.

I'm sure. NDSU dominated all phases last year - no doubt.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Do you think CC will pass to try and open up the run? Quick pass and middle routes should be open if the O-line gives Ross time.

I'm interested to see if CC drops down a safety or two to try and slow down the Bison running game. 4-2-5 is not the best alignment for stopping a power running team.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Do you think CC will pass to try and open up the run? Quick pass and middle routes should be open if the O-line gives Ross time.

I'm interested to see if CC drops down a safety or two to try and slow down the Bison running game. 4-2-5 is not the best alignment for stopping a power running team.

We are fairly balanced this year. So if you give us the pass then we'll take it. If you give us the run we'll take it.

I'm not sure what we'll do on D. We've shown before that we'll mix things up from time to time.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Basing my opinion purely on the Richmond game I think CCU is going to try to do a lot of run blitzes that not only try to cover every gap in the run game but also try to keep Wentz contained in the pocket. It's a gambler's mentality because it leaves the secondary exposed if NDSU's WRs can win their 1 on 1 matchups and the protection holds. I get the feeling Moglia has that gambling mentality so I think NDSU better be ready for non-stop pressure. If they're missing their #1 receiver Zach Vraa it'll be all the more important for the Bison WRs to step up.

We've seen in the past that there's a big difference between a team's first playoff experience in the Fargodome and their second with Georgia Southern. I don't think CCU has the horses that the 2012 Georgia Southern team did but I'd guarantee this will be more closely contested than last year (bold prediction I know :p).

FargoBison
December 8th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Basing my opinion purely on the Richmond game I think CCU is going to try to do a lot of run blitzes that not only try to cover every gap in the run game but also try to keep Wentz contained in the pocket. It's a gambler's mentality because it leaves the secondary exposed if NDSU's WRs can win their 1 on 1 matchups and the protection holds. I get the feeling Moglia has that gambling mentality so I think NDSU better be ready for non-stop pressure. If they're missing their #1 receiver Zach Vraa it'll be all the more important for the Bison WRs to step up.

We've seen in the past that there's a big difference between a team's first playoff experience in the Fargodome and their second with Georgia Southern. I don't think CCU has the horses that the 2012 Georgia Southern team did but I'd guarantee this will be more closely contested than last year (bold prediction I know :p).

Well MSU tried to the run blitz all the time strategy, eventually Wentz destroyed them.

Bronco
December 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
NDSU isn't as good as they have been in the last few years...still good just not as good
Will they do this to Coastal again? I don't think so.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/63376668047039341533.jpg

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Well MSU tried to the run blitz all the time strategy, eventually Wentz destroyed them.
True but he struggled mightily to start that game. If he gets hot like he did in that one though it'll be tough for any FCS team out there to hang with the Bison.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I'm looking forward to Moglia's quotes this week.....man, I like him.

xthumbsupx
Ditto to this, one of the main reasons I looked forward to this matchup is because I think Moglia is one of the most entertaining (and best) coaches in the FCS. If any CCU fans can post his press conference whenever it becomes available I'd appreciate it.

Here was NDSU head coach Chris Klieman's press conference from earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGrVdwI-xlo

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM

That's really the first time I recall blitzing like that. I'm not sure if we'd try that again in back to back games - especially against NDSU.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 02:00 PM
If any CCU fans can post his press conference whenever it becomes available I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the video. Moglia usually has his on Wednesday.

bodoyle
December 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM
You can call the weekly Call-In Show tonight from 6-7pm est.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 02:22 PM
With all the coaching openings, Moglia will get poached. Dude is always looking for another challenge. Be grateful you got him to establish a winning foundation. It is the nature of the business.

jmrepak
December 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM
With all the coaching openings, Moglia will get poached. Dude is always looking for another challenge. Be grateful you got him to establish a winning foundation. It is the nature of the business.
He definitely won't be leaving for a Wyoming-esque program. He doesn't need the money, and he bought a house here well before he got the coaching job. He likes the area and the school, and has said repeatedly that the only way he would leave was for an opportunity that was so good that the coaches, players, AD and University President looked at him and told that he needed to take it. Think what you will, but I'll be looking for Moglia on the sidelines again next year. I think you're more likely to see Patenaude (our OC) get poached.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM
He definitely won't be leaving for a Wyoming-esque program. He doesn't need the money, and he bought a house here well before he got the coaching job. He likes the area and the school, and has said repeatedly that the only way he would leave was for an opportunity that was so good that the coaches, players, AD and University President looked at him and told that he needed to take it. Think what you will, but I'll be looking for Moglia on the sidelines again next year. I think you're more likely to see Patenaude (our OC) get poached.

U of H (no), Oregon State (no), Michigan? (hmmm)

FargoBison
December 8th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Michigan would burn to the ground if an FCS coach was hired.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM

I think his best bet would have been Nebraska. Michigan probably would be one of those jobs but I think they've had their fill of former CEOs.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Wouldn't that be an awesome sight. But remember, didn't Ohio State pull Tressel from YSU?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Wouldn't that be an awesome sight. But remember, didn't Ohio State pull Tressel from YSU?

Way different. He was an assistant at OSU under Earle Bruce. He is also a Ohio guy, that makes a difference.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Way different. He was an assistant at OSU under Earle Bruce. He is also a Ohio guy, that makes a difference.

Maybe that is what Michigan needs....Get away from the Bo tree. Fresh blood. Fresh ideas.

thebootfitter
December 8th, 2014, 02:52 PM
NY Jets? Ha ha!

jmrepak
December 8th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I will say there have been some weird hires this year. You replace Pelini who is one of only two coaches to win 9 games a year for the last 7 or 8 consecutive seasons with a guy who is barely scrapping a win percentage over 50 in his last 10 years. Then you replace Will Muschamp with a guy whose W-L record is basically the same as Muschamp's, but he comes with a ridiculously expensive buyout...It's just been a crazy coaching carousel so far, and that will probably continue.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I think it is foolish for a P5 team to hire a coordinator as a first time HC (Muschamp). It has been proven over and over that good coordinators don't always make good HCs. Why not find an experienced, successful HC from a lower level? At least they know how to run a program.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I will say there have been some weird hires this year. You replace Pelini who is one of only two coaches to win 9 games a year for the last 7 or 8 consecutive seasons with a guy who is barely scrapping a win percentage over 50 in his last 10 years. Then you replace Will Muschamp with a guy whose W-L record is basically the same as Muschamp's, but he comes with a ridiculously expensive buyout...It's just been a crazy coaching carousel so far, and that will probably continue.

One who lost to NDSU in 2012 (McElwain) and one who lost to EWU in 2013 (Riley).

FargoBison
December 8th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Gold Rush this Saturday...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4Xgq3iCYAAAUlY.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2014, 05:15 PM
NDSU isn't as good as they have been in the last few years...still good just not as good

Well the Bison better fold it in then since they are not as good as last year.....xrolleyesx

This Bison team doesn't have to be as good as last year's team. They are very comparable to the '11 and '12 teams.

Texas
December 8th, 2014, 05:42 PM
As much as you nerds hate to admit it Wyoming is a step up.
We've seen it with Bohl, and Fritz both coaches have had long ties with their former teams. Head coaches always want more.

Thundar
December 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM
42-17

Bison

dewey
December 8th, 2014, 05:53 PM
As much as you nerds hate to admit it Wyoming is a step up.
We've seen it with Bohl, and Fritz both coaches have had long ties with their former teams. Head coaches always want more.

I agree with the step up in money, exposure and possibly another stepping stone to a power 5 school.

Dewey

dewey
December 8th, 2014, 05:54 PM
My prediction...

NDSU 28
Coastal Carolina 17

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
You can call the weekly Call-In Show tonight from 6-7pm est.

Missed it. Do they rebroad/podcast it?

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Missed it. Do they rebroad/podcast it?

Yes, it is archived. Not sure the turnaround time. http://portal.stretchinternet.com/coastal/#onDemandTab

NDSUSR
December 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Good news for Chants.....

The weather in Fargo this Saturday will likely be 40 degrees warmer than last time.
You will only need a sweater...

jmrepak
December 8th, 2014, 08:49 PM

The weather in Fargo this Saturday will likely be 40 degrees warmer than last time.
Good news for the Jacks! They get to stay in the comfort of their homes and watch the game... Oh wait.

just kidding man. You guys played awesome last week. I was really pulling for you. It was because we wanted another home game, but I was pulling for you nonetheless.

Hammerhead
December 8th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Yet this year's team only lost one game just like 2012 and 2013... CC might fare a little better the 2nd time around like GSU did, but I'm still predicting the Bison win by at least 14.

rokamortis
December 8th, 2014, 09:11 PM

If the game was outside it would probably be more significant.

344Johnson
December 8th, 2014, 09:11 PM

This years NDSU is not last years team. Still a good team and probably the best in the country but probably 14 pt dogs to last year's team.

If CCU is at last year's level or better, this game should be better.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Bison win 35-10

NDSUSR
December 8th, 2014, 09:16 PM
If the game was outside it would probably be more significant.
Obvious you didnt see your team get off the plane last year....

NDSUSR
December 8th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Good news for the Jacks! They get to stay in the comfort of their homes and watch the game... Oh wait.

just kidding man. You guys played awesome last week. I was really pulling for you. It was because we wanted another home game, but I was pulling for you nonetheless.

I think my username and avatar are tripping you up a bit..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?165632-Round-2-SDSU-at-NDSU&p=2193466#post2193466

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2014, 09:18 PM
This years NDSU is not last years team. Still a good team and probably the best in the country but probably 14 pt dogs to last year's team.

This CCU team also isn't coming off a road game to Montana. Two good teams, but I think there are a number of differences from last year's game.

jmrepak
December 8th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I think my username and avatar are tripping you up a bit..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?165632-Round-2-SDSU-at-NDSU&p=2193466#post2193466
Ahhhh... Gotcha.

NDSUSR
December 8th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Ahhhh... Gotcha.

I still award you 1 smack point for the good dig. It would have been 2 points if you would have worked in either "hunting" or "couch" in the smack.

gotts
December 8th, 2014, 09:29 PM
NDSU 17.5 point favorites on the early betting lines.

jmrepak
December 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I still award you 1 smack point for the good dig. It would have been 2 points if you would have worked in either "hunting" or "couch" in the smack.
Haha. Thanks

344Johnson
December 9th, 2014, 12:39 AM

This guy isn't a regular FCS coach. Honestly, Notre Dame could hire this guy and I wouldn't be surprised. CEO.

One who lost to NDSU in 2012 (McElwain) .

In his defense, it was his first year over there. Happy he has turned the Rams into a good team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2014, 06:40 AM
NDSU 17.5 point favorites on the early betting lines.

Bison cover this!

X-Factor
December 9th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Bison cover this!
Probably. But if we have learned anything this year it is that the Bison lack the consistency of last year. They will blow out several good teams in a row, then out of nowhere play like crap for a while. Some of that is the penalties, some of that is just a different scheme of players, and some of that is having certain aspects of the team that are more easily neutralized than in the past. It's all about the matchups this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Probably. But if we have learned anything this year it is that the Bison lack the consistency of last year. They will blow out several good teams in a row, then out of nowhere play like crap for a while. Some of that is the penalties, some of that is just a different scheme of players, and some of that is having certain aspects of the team that are more easily neutralized than in the past. It's all about the matchups this year.

I agree with this 100% about this year.

This year's team does not have to be close or like last year's team. The '13 Bison team is probably one of the best, if not the best, FCS team ever. IMO, this year's Bison team is comparable to the '11 and '12 teams.

This weekend's matchup is a bad one for CC. They are small on both lines and that will be a huge advantage for a power running team like the Bison. They will have to bring in extra defenders into the box and that will open up the play-action pass for Wentz. I think our TEs will see a lot of balls coming their way on Saturday.

The Bison defense will be up for the challenge that CC brings.

Will the game be a nail biter like the SDSU game? Maybe, but if the Bison establish the run like last year, the game will not be close.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Yes, especially on the offensive side of the ball with the penalties the Bison have racked disciprine off an on throughout the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbtja-tdkAU

But then again they've been a little better than (most) everyone else this year. :D

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2014, 07:26 AM

No question CCU is a better team this year, and no question that NDST is not the same team as last year, also no question that CCU was dominated last year so with all that said will Coastal shock the FCS world on Saturday? Probably not, but somehow I think they come out fast and jump out to the lead before the Bizun take control of the game in the second half

North Dak State - 35
CCU--------------- 24

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 07:29 AM
No question CCU is a better team this year, and no question that NDST is not the same team as last year, also no question that CCU was dominated last year so with all that said will Coastal shock the FCS world on Saturday? Probably not, but somehow I think they come out fast and jump out to the lead before the Bizun take control of the game in the second half

North Dak State - 35
CCU--------------- 24

I was hoping you'd come out in our favor. You were our good luck charm last week!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I agree with this 100% about this year.

This year's team does not have to be close or like last year's team. The '13 Bison team is probably one of the best, if not the best, FCS team ever. IMO, this year's Bison team is comparable to the '11 and '12 teams.

This weekend's matchup is a bad one for CC. They are small on both lines and that will be a huge advantage for a power running team like the Bison. They will have to bring in extra defenders into the box and that will open up the play-action pass for Wentz. I think our TEs will see a lot of balls coming their way on Saturday.

The Bison defense will be up for the challenge that CC brings.

Will the game be a nail biter like the SDSU game? Maybe, but if the Bison establish the run like last year, the game will not be close.

Yep. Remember 2012 when Wofford made us all sweat then we had to squeak it out against GSU? I don't care if every one is by 1 pt. as long as it's a win.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM
They are small on both lines and that will be a huge advantage for a power running team like the Bison.

You think our o-line is small?

jmrepak
December 9th, 2014, 09:22 AM

I think our OL stacks up well against the DL of NDSU. However, they do have some big boys on the OL. Our DL will be outweighed by 30+ lbs easy. I guess we need to serve more corn to the boys up front.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I think our OL stacks up well against the DL of NDSU. However, they do have some big boys on the OL. Our DL will be outweighed by 30+ lbs easy. I guess we need to serve more corn to the boys up front.

Nobody stacks up well against this guy. Take SDSU's cue and hold the ever loving **** out of him and hope you get away with it like they did.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b03a47e48596187a0c35d4a5273d032e2b848fd9/c=0-22-2800-2128&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/IAGroup/DesMoines/2014/09/04/1409850159000-Gannon.JPG

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Nobody stacks up well against this guy. Take SDSU's cue and hold the ever loving **** out of him and hope you get away with it like they did.

Well it is going to be Big Sky officials so you are more familiar with them than me - what do you think? I figure west / midwest bias.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM

I'm not sure what are their stats?

I expect NDSU to run the ball much better against CC then SDSU. I look for JC and Wentz to have big games on offense. I assume we will play more nickel against CC. I'm a bit concerned with our special teams play, specifically our punter and kickoffs, as Lecompte is injured and may not play. How is CC's special teams?

PMBison
December 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I think the bison win this fairly easily, as it seems like if the bison run the ball well, they win handily. However, if CCU finds a way to stop the run then not having Vraa this saturday could be a big deal. The only way I see NDSU losing this game is if they rack up the penalties in a similar fashion to the game against SDSU, otherwise, I think NDSU will be too much for CCU. I am making this statement entirely off of how lopsided last years game was, and just comparing this years NDSU team to last years NDSU team. I haven't watched CCU play a single down this year but it seems hard to believe that they could have improved enough from last year to beat an NDSU team that isn't that much worse than last year's team.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure what are their stats?

I expect NDSU to run the ball much better against CC then SDSU. I look for JC and Wentz to have big games on offense. I assume we will play more nickel against CC. I'm a bit concerned with our special teams play, specifically our punter and kickoffs, as Lecompte is injured and may not play. How is CC's special teams?

FG has been a little erratic but all others are pretty solid.

OL Starters
LT 6-3, 285
LG 6-4, 315
C 6-3, 260
RG 6-2, 355
RT 6-5, 295

I get the the DL is small but I think our OL is a good size for a FCS squad.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM

OL Starters
LT 6-3, 285
LG 6-4, 315
C 6-3, 260
RG 6-2, 355
RT 6-5, 295

Better figure out what to do when these two guys have to block one the whole game.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I was hoping you'd come out in our favor. You were our good luck charm last week!

I saw a few of coastal's games this year and I was very impressed I had a good feeling you would take out Richmond and I'm getting the feeling that you will definitely be in this ball game on Saturday with those bison

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Better figure out what to do when these two guys have to block one the whole game.

I'm sure they'll give it the old college try.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2014, 10:26 AM

OL Starters
LT 6-3, 285
LG 6-4, 315
C 6-3, 260
RG 6-2, 355
RT 6-5, 295

A little smaller then most MVFC lines but probably fit your scheme better. Do you guys use a TE much or keep a back in to chip?

dewey
December 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I was reading the CCU fan forum and some CCU fans said Alex Ross wasn't very accurate and some throws were off target during the Richmond game. I remeber AR being off target on quite a few of his throws early in the game when NDSU built the big lead. He seemed to settle down a little bit but was picked off a couple of times on throws that were off target. So my question is has he been inaccurate all year or was this just during the Richmond game?

Dewey

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM
A little smaller then most MVFC lines but probably fit your scheme better. Do you guys use a TE much or keep a back in to chip?

Seems like we've been using the TE in the passing game more, but I'd say they block more.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I was reading the CCU fan forum and some CCU fans said Alex Ross wasn't very accurate and some throws were off target during the Richmond game. I remember AR being off target on quite a few of his throws early in the game when NDSU built the big lead. He seemed to settle down a little bit but was picked off a couple of times on throws that were off target. So my question is has he been inaccurate all year or was this just during the Richmond game?

Dewey

He started off the season a little off - probably due to having a good many new WR as well. He's settled down but did have a few errant throws this past game. His stats weren't horrible for the game but he could / should be sharper. I think we should just kill the deep ball and focus on he short-medium passes as I think he does a better job there. A few times I think there was some miscommunication between the WR and QB as well.

jmrepak
December 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM

We use the TE mostly for blocking, but every now and then they get brought into the passing game. We had both TE's out with injury for a little while, but we got Craig Weick back after he suffered severe burns helping his brother with yard work during the bye week. He actually made a top 5 finger tip catch from the NCAA top 10 plays this weekend.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2014, 11:19 AM
RG 6-2, 355

Nothing small about that fella.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sam_ekwonike_804632.html

I would venture to guess that he would probably be the heaviest OL in the MVFC as well. It's pretty crazy that the guy next to him (your center) is almost 100 pounds smaller. Not saying that's a big thing just an ironic contrast.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Nothing small about that fella.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sam_ekwonike_804632.html

I would venture to guess that he would probably be the heaviest OL in the MVFC as well. It's pretty crazy that the guy next to him (your center) is almost 100 pounds smaller. Not saying that's a big thing just an ironic contrast.

And that may be the reason - to help him out if he needs it. Seems like most centers, at least around here, are a little smaller than the other OL.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned. The problem last week was clearly going with the green jerseys. Back to yellow again, things should be just fine.

Sorry CCU. Probably gave you some false hope.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned. The problem last week was clearly going with the green jerseys. Back to yellow again, things should be just fine.

Clearly. If yellow jerseys are good enough for Incarnate Word then they are good enough for little ol' Coastal.

aces1180
December 9th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Clearly. If yellow jerseys are good enough for Incarnate Word then they are good enough for little ol' Coastal.

They are good enough for Frisco too...Twice in fact. :)

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Coach Moglia was on the Jack Michaels Show on 740 AM at noon today. No BS with him, right to the point. He said CC cannot have penalties and turnovers if they want to win this game.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2014, 06:56 PM
They are good enough for Frisco too...Twice in fact. :)

If you guys make to Frisco this time, will you be wearing white?

Bisonator
December 9th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Coach Moglia was on the Jack Michaels Show on 740 AM at noon today. No BS with him, right to the point. He said CC cannot have penalties and turnovers if they want to win this game.
That's pretty much true for every team.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM
If you guys make to Frisco this time, will you be wearing white?

Won't know until they announce which is the home team. If we get back and are the road team then yes probably.

X-Factor
December 9th, 2014, 07:48 PM
So, how many of our coastal friends are going to be making the trip to Fargo? Hopefully flying, but I suppose driving is viable too, since that is what a lot of Bison do when we travel to South Fargo, er I mean Frisco. There should be plenty of tailgating to partake in, even considering an 11am kickoff. Watching on TV should be great as well, it's just not quite the same without the gameday atmosphere.

CoastalFan2005
December 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
So, how many of our coastal friends are going to be making the trip to Fargo? Hopefully flying, but I suppose driving is viable too, since that is what a lot of Bison do when we travel to South Fargo, er I mean Frisco. There should be plenty of tailgating to partake in, even considering an 11am kickoff. Watching on TV should be great as well, it's just not quite the same without the gameday atmosphere.

Probably next to none. Flights from Myrtle Beach to Fargo are $600 minimum, and flying out of Charlotte or Charleston (or flying into Minneapolis) doesn't lower that price much. As far as driving, I'm sure some folks could do it if they want, but it's pretty much 24 hours from here to there.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Can't believe this is on page 2 already. Come on roosters pick up your game! xcoffeex

rokamortis
December 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Can't believe this is on page 2 already. Come on roosters pick up your game! xcoffeex

Sounds like you guys are really excited, ordering 19K (pairs?) of pom-poms to hand out to everyone. Is this normal or something new / different?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Sounds like you guys are really excited, ordering 19K (pairs?) of pom-poms to hand out to everyone. Is this normal or something new / different?

Probably has a lot to do with being on ESPN.

Daytripper
December 10th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Gotta admit...NDSU brings it on the road. Still can't believe (*embarrassment*) that the Bison outdrew the Bearkats in both Natty games.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Gotta admit...NDSU brings it on the road. Still can't believe (*embarrassment*) that the Bison outdrew the Bearkats in both Natty games.

it's mostly by being resourceful. In the DII days, it was McAllen, TX and Florence, AL

BisonBacker
December 10th, 2014, 10:16 AM

Given that we lost 3 or our 4 starters on the D Line from last year what our defense has done (reloaded) this year is remarkable. If you are placing your hopes that our run defense won't be able to stop your run offense you may be disappointed. Either way I expect a good game. I think it will be closer than last years match up but I still see a Bison win by 2 scores.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM

New and different. Copy cat of bigger schools. Yatta yatta yattaxrolleyesx

Twentysix
December 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
New and different. Copy cat of bigger schools. Yatta yatta yattaxrolleyesx

Indeed, I have a USC pom from the USC Notre Dame game that was identical to this, except USC was stamped on the plastic piece, and there are red strips in the yellow. They were on every seat in the coliseum.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Yellow jerseys, yellow poms. Who can top that?

You Chin-nuts have about 24 hrs to cancel your flight and save your school some money. ESPN can re-run last years National Championship game instead.

deez_na
December 10th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Can Saturday get here soon enough? Going to be a great game, i think it will be closer than last year but Bison win by 10

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Given that we lost 3 or our 4 starters on the D Line from last year what our defense has done (reloaded) this year is remarkable. If you are placing your hopes that our run defense won't be able to stop your run offense you may be disappointed. Either way I expect a good game. I think it will be closer than last years match up but I still see a Bison win by 2 scores.

The D-line has been a very pleasant surprise this year. They will be the strength initially next year right away.

The O-line will be awesome next year with our best lineman coming back (Johnson). I wonder if they will move Kuhnert over to center....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Wonder if the Bison can replicate these stats again on Saturday?:

Total Yards: 623

Rushing yards: 424
Passing yards: 199
First downs: 26
TOP: 39:45

Hey Gary, what should we do?..............Run the ball!!!!!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2014, 03:11 PM
A lot of yakkin going on the teams respective boards.

jmrepak
December 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I can't seem to imbed the video, but the link to the Moglia presser is below...

http://www.goccusports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=478504

Gordon Shumway
December 10th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Thought you Bison folks might get a kick out of this thread/post from another forum I visit regularly. It was in the Off Topic section of a car forum where the college football talk is 100% FBS. After a mind numbing amount of discussion about the FBS playoff, a member started a thread called A Real CFB Playoff with the following OP:

This weekend, December 13th, on their home field, North Dakota State is playing in their NCAA Quarterfinal (second round of the playoffs) in defense of their record as having been NCAA Champions the last three years in a row.

So, if you want to see some real tough college football the way it is played outdoors in the middle of December on the North Dakota prairie, you can tune in on ESPN this weekend.

People tuning in are to going to be amazed what the ND prairie looks like. :D

Bisonator
December 10th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Thought you Bison folks might get a kick out of this thread/post from another forum I visit regularly. It was in the Off Topic section of a car forum where the college football talk is 100% FBS. After a mind numbing amount of discussion about the FBS playoff, a member started a thread called A Real CFB Playoff with the following OP:

Haha they going to be expecting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXkT107x2E

And they gonna get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hRZJfXmx_A

dewey
December 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM

The post was so good until the mention of playing outdoors.

Dewey

NDSUSR
December 10th, 2014, 07:49 PM

Which car site? Link?

CasualFan
December 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I got a chuckle out of the CCU presser when they asked Hop Henderson about the SDSU - NDSU game around 18:15 --"Zach Zenner is a stud." Totally different from the bland non-answers you expect.

( link in case you don't want to scroll back to find it: http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121014aaa.html )

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2014, 09:10 PM
to lazy to read the thread but I bet all the Bizun fans are displaying a high degree of smugness.... cant blame you guys but when it all comes to an end this Saturday don't say you didn't have time to prepare....... EMS Fargo preparing for mass shock victims

Bisonwinagn
December 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM
to lazy to read the thread but I bet all the Bizun fans are displaying a high degree of smugness.... cant blame you guys but when it all comes to an end this Saturday don't say you didn't have time to prepare....... EMS Fargo preparing for mass shock victims

I think most Bison fans expect a much closer game this year. I still think NDSU will win by 10-15 points though it will certainly not be a blowout like last year.

dewey
December 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I just watched a majority of the press conference with coach Moglia. I really like him as he tells it like he sees it. I have said it before but I expect this game to be a lot closer than last year and the point spread of 17 seems ridiculous. I hope the Vegas odds makers are right but I doubt it.

If Coastal Carolina pulls off the upset I will come on here, as will many other Bison fan I am sure, and congratulate Coastal Carolina for getting the job done.

Hail the Bison!

Dewey

jmrepak
December 10th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I will say that I re-watched the SDSU game and the power run where you guys pull the left guard around to block on the right side opens big holes. Reminds me of the old SEC style of play

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Which car site? Link?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/off-topic/3574528-a-real-cfb-playoff.html

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I would like to see the Bison offense play a complete game on Saturday. No false starts. More running plays to the edge would be an added surprise compared to all of the runs right up the middle. Use the FB and TEs in the game; CC is going to try and stop the run so the play-action pass should be there all game.

If the Bison have the running game working this game will be another blow out like last year.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I would like to see the Bison offense play a complete game on Saturday. No false starts. More running plays to the edge would be an added surprise compared to all of the runs right up the middle. Use the FB and TEs in the game; CC is going to try and stop the run so the play-action pass should be there all game.

If the Bison have the running game working this game will be another blow out like last year.
I'm not one to criticize play calling because I think there's way more that goes into what plays are being called/ran that the average fan watching has no idea of. However, I do miss seeing those power toss sweep plays where they get a couple "big uglies" outside the hashes leading the way for the RB. Seems like the Bison ran that more in the past than they have this year and they're primarily relying on jet sweeps to stretch the defense on run plays.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I'm not one to criticize play calling because I think there's way more that goes into what plays are being called/ran that the average fan watching has no idea of. However, I do miss seeing those power toss sweep plays where they get a couple "big uglies" outside the hashes leading the way for the RB. Seems like the Bison ran that more in the past than they have this year and they're primarily relying on jet sweeps to stretch the defense on run plays.

I agree. I think some of that has to do with our younger inexperienced oline this year. That said I don't think CC will be able to plug the middle like MVFC defenses and the backs should find some running room.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 09:28 AM

I think it has to do more with Polasek as OC. He was at Northern Illinois and they ran that spread crap and we see a lot of that now with Carson lining up in the shot-gun a lot. We used to run a lot of QB behind the center plays and that seems to have gone away for the most part. He is bringing that aspect to the Bison offense. Myself, I'm neutral on it but I'd rather see more behind the center plays. But in Polasek's defense, the Bison are 12-1 right now.

We'll see how he calls this game. I hope he runs the dang ball because IMO we should be able to run all over this team.

BNATION
December 11th, 2014, 10:19 AM
ND is going to roll in this one. Hopefully we will se Bison Nation in Fargo!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 10:20 AM

I was wondering when you were coming back. Good to see you got your avatar back!

xthumbsupx

BNATION
December 11th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I was wondering when you were coming back. Good to see you got your avatar back!

xthumbsupx

Been working out of the country for a while now. Glad to be home. I wore my shame like a badge of honor!

dewey
December 11th, 2014, 10:30 AM

I always like the plays when they would line up a RB and FB in the I formation and then have the FB split out wide and motion him into the backfield. Then take the tackle and guard and block down while the FB's kicked everything else out. Those plays are a thing of beauty.

Here is a Fargo Forum article about Kyle Emanuel or Christian Dudzik potentially being the punter for Saturday if Ben Lecompte can't go.

http://www.inforum.com/sports-bison/ndsus-emanuel-ready-punt-if-called-upon-3631118

Here is another article from the Fargo Forum about Coastal Carolina being more experienced this year.

http://www.inforum.com/sports-bison/coastal-carolina-football-has-taken-step-forward-year-3631122

Dewey

deez_na
December 11th, 2014, 01:14 PM

I'd love to take it to you guys a 3rd time in 4 years in the Dome of all places.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM

nope!

FargoBison
December 11th, 2014, 03:25 PM
The Bison will cover...that is all.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I always like the plays when they would line up a RB and FB in the I formation and then have the FB split out wide and motion him into the backfield. Then take the tackle and guard and block down while the FB's kicked everything else out. Those plays are a thing of beauty.

Here is a Fargo Forum article about Kyle Emanuel or Christian Dudzik potentially being the punter for Saturday if Ben Lecompte can't go.

http://www.inforum.com/sports-bison/ndsus-emanuel-ready-punt-if-called-upon-3631118

Here is another article from the Fargo Forum about Coastal Carolina being more experienced this year.

http://www.inforum.com/sports-bison/coastal-carolina-football-has-taken-step-forward-year-3631122

Dewey

Honestly, how do they know they're better physically? They avoid playing hard teams and have only faced off against 2 playoff teams this year. One of those games they lost.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 03:28 PM
The Bison will cover...that is all.

smug o meter is rising.....be careful now

FargoBison
December 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM

Well last year NDSU could have won 75-14 but of course that is last year. I do think CCU has gotten better and NDSU a bit worse, but still they are very undersized and not very physical defensively. They are the anti-UNI in that regard.

They lack the talented offensive players that SDSU had. I watched a few of their games and wasn't impressed at all, honestly I don't even know why they are seeded.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Well last year NDSU could have won 75-14 but of course that is last year. I do think CCU has gotten better and NDSU a bit worse, but still they are very undersized and not very physical defensively. They are the anti-UNI in that regard.

They lack the talented offensive players that SDSU had. I watched a few of their games and wasn't impressed at all, honestly I don't even know why they are seeded.

higher and higher..... no question they should be seeded

FargoBison
December 11th, 2014, 03:39 PM

SDSU all day over CCU.

I'd be more concerned with playing Chatty....Now I just made Chattown feel better about his Mocs....I need to take a shower.

jub1982
December 11th, 2014, 03:48 PM

The troll-o-meter is quite high too

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM
The troll-o-meter is quite high too

but this troll is third in the Clenz pick em game.

jub1982
December 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM
but this troll is third in the Clenz pick em game.

What does that matter? You did the same thing last year too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Same ol bull**** from you as last year....xrolleyesx

CC would have finished behind these teams in the Valley this year:

Ill State
UNI
SDSU
NDSU

Their defense got curb stomped last year and it will probably happen again. Better have the doc readjust your meds....xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Same ol bull**** from you as last year....xrolleyesx

CC would have finished behind these teams in the Valley this year:

Ill State
UNI
SDSU
NDSU

Their defense got curb stomped last year and it will probably happen again. Better have the doc readjust your meds....xlolx

Maybe ISUb. They beat Liberty who was their conference co-champion and beat them in the last week of the season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe ISUb. They beat Liberty who was their conference co-champion and beat them in the last week of the season.

Oh, ya, forgot about that Ind State win.

You making the journey north for the game?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Oh, ya, forgot about that Ind State win.

You making the journey north for the game?

Not this time. I'm still trying to regain the goodwill from all the road miles I did this season. If Sammy makes it to the semi, I might come otherwise I'm saving it up for Frisco.

X-Factor
December 11th, 2014, 06:40 PM
The reality is that this game will not be close (unless the Bison can set a new NCAA record in penalty yardage, which by the way is 238 yards by Arizona), although CCU will put up more of a fight than last year. I think by halftime it may be within a few scores, but everyone will know exactly what NDSU will dictate in the 2nd half, none of which CCU can do the least bit to stop.

rokamortis
December 11th, 2014, 07:17 PM
The reality is that this game will not be close (unless the Bison can set a new NCAA record in penalty yardage, which by the way is 238 yards by Arizona), although CCU will put up more of a fight than last year. I think by halftime it may be within a few scores, but everyone will know exactly what NDSU will dictate in the 2nd half, none of which CCU can do the least bit to stop.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Bison put on an awesome display of choreographed dominance. The level of intensity and determination shown all week in practice will be demonstrated in unimaginable ways.

I'm talking about the Pom poms.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the Bison put on an awesome display of choreographed dominance. The level of intensity and determination shown all week in practice will be demonstrated in unimaginable ways.

I'm talking about the pom-poms.

It doesn't have to be choreographed. It just comes naturally.

344Johnson
December 11th, 2014, 07:19 PM

I'm talking about the pom-poms.

I agree. The poms are cheese. Are they going to try to get us to go full out and do an MVCMVCMVC chant with them?

This whole thing screams sad attempt at SEC'ing

rokamortis
December 11th, 2014, 07:20 PM
It doesn't have to be choreographed. It just comes naturally.

Wave them real pretty, ok?

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 07:31 PM
What does that matter? You did the same thing last year too.

and the year before that, I ran out of steam last year..... used all my material the year before. I'm honored you remember me.... haha

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Wave them real pretty, ok?

hopefully your kids can stay in the game so there's some excitement.

rokamortis
December 11th, 2014, 07:41 PM
hopefully your kids can stay in the game so there's some excitement.

If you get bored I'm sure you fellas will find some place to stick them.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2014, 07:43 PM
The reality is that this game will not be close .

what is not close?

BNATION
December 11th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I'd love to take it to you guys a 3rd time in 4 years in the Dome of all places.
Would be a good game. could happen but I believe would be a good game. We are very young but play with a nothing to lose attitude. NDSU is good but not last years team. Hopping for the matchup.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Would be a good game. could happen but I believe would be a good game. We are very young but play with a nothing to lose attitude. NDSU is good but not last years team. Hopping for the matchup.

I'd settle for 2011's or 2012's team. They did OK.

BNATION
December 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I'd settle for 2011's or 2012's team. They did OK.
Very factual argument there... Hard to disagree.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Very factual argument there... Hard to disagree.

This is the thing that people constantly forget. Last years team was legen...wait for it.....dary. Comparing this team to that team is silly.

They only need be as good as the last couple years and they'll be fine. They are such a well oiled machine that it's going to take an inhuman effort to derail it.

344Johnson
December 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM
This is the thing that people constantly forget. Last years team was legen...wait for it.....dary. Comparing this team to that team is silly.

They only need be as good as the last couple years and they'll be fine. They are such a well oiled machine that it's going to take an inhuman effort to derail it.

I don't think an inhuman effort will be necessary to beat this team. UNI proved that.

I don't think anyone on this side of the bracket can beat these guys without an inhuman effort.

Other side, ISU, for example. Might be as good or better than NDSU.

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2014, 10:29 PM
The main matchup(s) imo will be Emmanuel VS T/TE/HB and his attempt to get to Ross. If Kyle is not double teamed it will be a nightmare for Ross. On the flip side, I wonder how RJs chemistry developed after that heart-attack like game last week. I can easily see him going for 7-150+ with a TD or 2.

Anyone know what Vraa's status is? I've been wondering since if he is healthy, I could see this game becoming a Bison "air-attack" (300 passing yards) through the first 3 quarters which would allow for a 300+ rushing game throughout the entire game to kill the clock and increase the TOP.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2014, 07:09 AM
This quote from CCU's OC makes an evil grin come to my face:

"I mean [CCU left tackle] Chad [Hamilton] is as good as anybody in the country so we’ll see,” he said. “We’ll put him out there one-on-one [against Emmanuel] and see what happens. We’ll have the ability to double him and chip him and slide to him and get a tight end on him, get a back on him if we need to. But I think Chad will more than hold his own."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/12/11/4664357/ndsus-emanuel-and-ccus-hamilton.html

Gil Dobie
December 12th, 2014, 07:50 AM
The main matchup(s) imo will be Emmanuel VS T/TE/HB and his attempt to get to Ross. If Kyle is not double teamed it will be a nightmare for Ross. On the flip side, I wonder how RJs chemistry developed after that heart-attack like game last week. I can easily see him going for 7-150+ with a TD or 2.

Anyone know what Vraa's status is? I've been wondering since if he is healthy, I could see this game becoming a Bison "air-attack" (300 passing yards) through the first 3 quarters which would allow for a 300+ rushing game throughout the entire game to kill the clock and increase the TOP.

I've been waiting for Carey Woods to have a breakout game. If Vraa is out, Woods could see more looks. Like Gebhardt, he needs to hang on to the ball when it comes his way. More TE involvement would be great too.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 12th, 2014, 07:51 AM
This quote from CCU's O-line coach makes an evil grin come to my face:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/12/11/4664357/ndsus-emanuel-and-ccus-hamilton.html

Of course he'll HOLD his own. That's what SDSU did last week to some effect.

deez_na
December 12th, 2014, 08:11 AM

Well if things go right we could be watching it next weekend. I think that would be a fun matchup especially after those 2 championship meetings.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 09:10 AM
This quote from CCU's O-line coach makes an evil grin come to my face:

:D

IMO, Kyle is going to eat him alive one-on-one. CC will be bringing him some help to block Kyle.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I've been waiting for Carey Woods to have a breakout game. If Vraa is out, Woods could see more looks. Like Gebhardt, he needs to hang on to the ball when it comes his way. More TE involvement would be great too.

RJ passed all of the WRs on the depth chart, except Vraa, because he is better than the others. Woods is OK at best IMO. I hope he does step up this Saturday.

Bison56
December 12th, 2014, 09:28 AM
RJ passed all of the WRs on the depth chart, except Vraa, because he is better than the others. Woods is OK at best IMO. I hope he does step up this Saturday.

When Woods caught the ball he hesitated last week like he didn't know what to do because he usually drops it. I also agree with you and hope he can step up and be the guy we all hoped he would be.

TheKingpin28
December 12th, 2014, 09:56 AM
So could we see a lot of check downs with Crockett and Fraizer if Vraa is not good to go? I just don't trust our WRs outside of RJ. I would like to see some straight line and curls by our TEs but as I said earlier, if the ground game is there and we force them to keep 9 in the box to sell out, I could see this game getting out of controll with jet sweeps and PA passes to RJ and Co.

I want to see Woods and Gebhart step up but I think they are more of a liability than a help. They could be solid decoys though and force Coastal to stay honest and open up the vox.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 12th, 2014, 10:02 AM
So could we see a lot of check downs with Crockett and Fraizer if Vraa is not good to go? I just don't trust our WRs outside of RJ. I would like to see some straight line and curls by our TEs but as I said earlier, if the ground game is there and we force them to keep 9 in the box to sell out, I could see this game getting out of controll with jet sweeps and PA passes to RJ and Co.

I want to see Woods and Gebhart step up but I think they are more of a liability than a help. They could be solid decoys though and force Coastal to stay honest and open up the vox.

Run run run. They gave up 300 to the Kitties last week. Tight end, Bonnet, anything else. We've done it without Vraa before.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I expect a heavy dose of power running and play action. CC has to prove they can stop it, they couldn't last year.

rokamortis
December 12th, 2014, 10:26 AM

IMO, Kyle is going to eat him alive one-on-one. CC will be bringing him some help to block Kyle.

Is it even legal for this guy to play?

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Hopefully KE can get a strip sack scoop and score before CCU realize's that they need to help their LT against the best defensive player in the FCS.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Is it even legal for this guy to play?

Interesting match up. Fun to watch how CC plays KE. Bison use him in all DL positions.

rokamortis
December 12th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Hopefully KE can get a strip sack scoop and score before CCU realize's that they need to help their LT against the best defensive player in the FCS.

Dewey

I herd (get it?) that they are going to intentionally got 3-out on offense just so Emmanuel can punt, go into coverage, beat everyone else down, bust the blocking, hit the returner, cause a fumble, pick it up, and score.

Twentysix
December 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I herd (get it?) that they are going to intentionally got 3-out on offense just so Emmanuel can punt, go into coverage, beat everyone else down, bust the blocking, hit the returner, cause a fumble, pick it up, and score.

Six or seven times, in the first quarter. xthumbsupx

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 11:09 AM

I like your idea as well and the pun about herd, LOL. Positive rep's coming to you.

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the drama that was going on last year when it was announced Coach Bohl was leaving for Wyoming.

http://www.inforum.com/sports-bison/3632922-kolpack-ultimately-its-players-who-win-or-lose-games

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I realize you're joking about this but he may end up punting some in this game as NDSU's punter is nicked up and apparently Emmanuel has been one of the more impressive players in impromptu backup punter tryouts.

As far as the rest of that stuff, I wouldn't put it past him. :D

rokamortis
December 12th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I realize you're joking about this but he may end up punting some in this game as NDSU's punter is nicked up and apparently Emmanuel has been one of the more impressive players in impromptu backup punter tryouts.

As far as the rest of that stuff, I wouldn't put it past him. :D

I know about Lecompte - that's why I posted. I try to bring it all together.

rokamortis
December 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I like your idea as well and the pun about herd, LOL. Positive rep's coming to you.

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the drama that was going on last year when it was announced Coach Bohl was leaving for Wyoming.

http://www.inforum.com/sports-bison/3632922-kolpack-ultimately-its-players-who-win-or-lose-games

Dewey

Cool article. I don't know if you guys agree or not, but I had suspected Bohl leaving may have provided some additional motivation / focus for your team. So I can assume that it may have helped, just going by the article - with the captains getting together and helping to focus the team from the distractions. Really well done by those guys. Some teams would have let it mess with them.

CasualFan
December 12th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I feel like I'm reading an old SNL Super Fans script.

Fan #1: What's the score of the Bison game tomorrow?
Fan #2: 97 to -7.
Fan #1: How is Coastal going to score minus seven points?
Fan #2: Emmanuel will find a way.

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Cool article. I don't know if you guys agree or not, but I had suspected Bohl leaving may have provided some additional motivation / focus for your team. So I can assume that it may have helped, just going by the article - with the captains getting together and helping to focus the team from the distractions. Really well done by those guys. Some teams would have let it mess with them.

It is possible. Like you said it might have distracted a younger or a less experienced playoff team and cause their downfall. The 2013 NDSU team is arguably the best FCS team of all time.

Dewey

IBleedYellow
December 12th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Oh boy! The Coastal Coaches aren't planning on double-teaming Kyle Emmanuel!!

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/12/11/4664357_ndsus-emanuel-and-ccus-hamilton.html?sp=/99/167/&rh=1

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 01:47 PM
xlolx

Just reading thru some of the CC fan board on the NDSU game. Some very good entertainment.

I cannot wait for tomorrow.

Bison win 38-10

Bisonator
December 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Who is CC's backup QB and what kind of experience does he have? ;)

rokamortis
December 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM

Kyle Emmanuel is so good he'll play DE for NDSU and QB for Coastal at the same time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM

xlolx

I have a feeling that DeLuca is going to have a huge game. Very good at gap control and he has made plays when he has been in there. Big, strong LB.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Kyle Emmanuel is so good he'll play DE for NDSU and QB for Coastal at the same time.

You better hope your LT can at least slow him down or he will be in the backfield as much as your QB....xlolxxthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
December 12th, 2014, 02:11 PM
The article said their LT plans on going into the NFL. So calm down guys!

Bisonator
December 12th, 2014, 02:15 PM

6'3 and 285 is kind of small for an NFL olineman.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Oh, really.....xrolleyesx

I better change my prediction then. Bison are going to get curb stomped!

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Here is Craig Haley's prediction for the game.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_12_11_2014.htm

Saturday, Dec. 13

No. 7 seed Coastal Carolina (12-1) at
No. 2 seed North Dakota State (12-1)

Kickoff:
Noon (ESPN)

What to Know: Many of the visiting
Chanticleers have the important experience of playing at the Fargodome in last
year's national quarterfinals, albeit in a 48-14 defeat. The worst news for them
might be the fact North Dakota State is coming off a second-round scare. After
needing to rally past South Dakota State, 27-24, with a last-minute touchdown
last Saturday, the Bison figure to play with additional focus.

The Bison, who are eyeing an unprecedented fourth straight FCS championship, have
won 21 straight home games since 2012 - the second year of their title run. The
Missouri Valley power piled up 623 yards of offense in last year's win over
Coastal Carolina, although this year's offense isn't nearly as strong.

The passing game has been up and down, so opposing defenses key
themselves on stopping three-time 1,000-yard running back John Crockett, who has
1,527 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. Crockett's backups, King Frazier and
Chase Morlock, and quarterback Carson Wentz, who is terrific on running the
draw, make it a multi-faceted run game that averages 231 yards an outing.

The Bison defense that surrenders only 12.5 points per game remains the
strength of the team. When defensive end Kyle Emanuel (28 tackles for loss, 16.5
sacks) is blowing past offensive linemen, it makes the Bison better in every
way. The unit has now played a playoff game without injured linebacker Travis
Beck, so it figures to improve off a performance against South Dakota State that
wasn't bad yet was average by Bison standards.

Linebacker Carlton
Littlejohn, their tackle leader each of the last two seasons, played his best in
the postseason a year ago. Behind ball-hawking safeties Colten Heagle and
Christian Dudzik (58 career starts), 14 different Bison have combined on 25
takeaways.

Coastal has scored at least 30 points in all but one game
this season. The Chanticleers ran a school-record 95 plays in their 36-15
second-round win over Richmond last Saturday. Dual-threat quarterback Alex Ross,
already the school's all-time passing leader as a junior, is even more effective
when running back De'Angelo Henderson (1,391 yards and 19 touchdowns on 6.6
yards per carry) stretches a defense with his speed. They have an offensive
line, led by All- American left tackle Chad Hamilton and center Kevin Hart, in
which all five starters have made all 13 starts this season.

Much of
Richmond's offensive production came after Coastal had the game in hand, so the
Chants' athletic defense is primed for a big effort. Senior linebacker Quinn
Backus, who will be all over the field, is a three-time Big South defensive
player of the year with 433 career tackles to rank 16th in FCS history. Their
defensive line will have to rely on speed to compensate for a lack of size
against the Bison offensive linemen.

NDSU's special teams are among the
nation's best, but Coastal's are quite strong, too, behind kickoff returner
Devin Brown, place-kicker Alex Catron and holder/punter Austin Cain, who is
7-for-7 on two-point tries in his career.

The winner will face either
Sam Houston State or Villanova in the national semifinals.

Prediction: The Chanticleers are an impressive 3-3
all-time against Top 5 opponents, but they are playing NDSU in the wrong week.
North Dakota State, 31-17

Here is a link to the NDSU media blog. They do a great job of covering NDSU as well as the rest of the FCS.
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Here is an article about redshirt freshman Bison cornerback Tre Dempsey
http://www.wday.com/sports/dempsey-steps-3633010

Dewey

rokamortis
December 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Here is Craig Haley's prediction for the game.
Prediction: The Chanticleers are an impressive 3-3
all-time against Top 5 opponents, but they are playing NDSU in the wrong week.
North Dakota State, 31-17

Maybe we should change the game to the good week to play NDSU.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2014, 03:06 PM

That was 5 weeks ago.

dewey
December 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM

I thought that was a little odd as well. I think the last good week to play NDSU was in 2009.

Dewey

TennBison
December 12th, 2014, 03:56 PM

When I was in my 20's coming out of college I wanted to fly jets, I'm still waiting for that call.