PDA

View Full Version : Would your team go for two?

ngineer
June 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
You've 'stepped up' to play a Div. I-A school, or a school to which everyone thought would roll over your team. Instead, you've hung in there and have scored with no time left in regulation to pull within 1 point. Do you go for the win right there? Or take your chance in OT, knowing your personnel doesn't matchup well in terms of size and speed?
Back in the days before OT, this came up a couple times with Lehigh and, then, HC Whitehead went for the win against Virginia, at UVA, only to lose 21-20. I still think about that game and how proud I was that the Engineers had gone toe to toe, yet prouder that we played to win. To this day, I shake my head about Parseghian playing for the tie against Michigan State.
That same year, in a monsoon at Bucknell, Lehigh got to the Bison five yard line, trailing 3-0, with less than a minute to play and faced fourth down. A 'chip shot' field goal should have been easy--though footing was difficult. Whitehead, again, disdained the tie, and went for a game winning touchdown--but we didn't score. Final 3-0. Lehigh went 6-5 that year, but could have been 6-3-2, that included close losses to Rutgers and Lafayette.

So what's your call?

OL FU
June 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Whether we are tied, behind or ahead, I-A or I-AA.

WE GO FOR TWO :mad:

Seriously, since OT starts at the 25, I play for the tie and take it to over time. Unless you have been able to gain 3 years on 90 % of your running plays during the game. Then I would think about it.

Marcus Garvey
June 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
With OT, you ALWAYS play for the tie. The dumbest coaching I ever saw was in a PA high school playoff game at Lehigh years ago. It was early 90's ('90 or '91 maybe?).

Ridley High versus Wilson High from West Lawn, PA. Ridely was up 14-0 in the 4th Quarter. Wilson scored a TD to make it 14-6 with plenty of time left. Instead of going for the extra point, Wilson's head coach inexplicably went for 2! They missed. When Wilson scored again on their next possession, they were forced to go for 2 just to tie, but missed again. Final score, Ridley 14 Wilson 12. Nothing pisses me off more about football than when a coach takes a chance to win out of his players' hands!

eaglefan452
June 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I think it is a mistake for a coach to go for two when he doesn't have to. Most of the time it is a huge risk that could end up biting a team in the rear.

arkstfan
June 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
SIU went for 2 against NIU instead of the win last season and they lost. NIU's offense was struggling (QB was hurt and 2 WR's suspended best I can remember).

Central Florida went for 2 in the first OT against Ole Miss a few years back and Culpepper got tripped up giving the Rebels the win.

Only way I go for two is if I didn't score offensively (ie. fumble or int return or a kick return) and don't believe my offense can out-perform their offense.

I'd rather have at least four plays and give them at least four than put an entire game on one play.

ngineer
June 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
With OT, you ALWAYS play for the tie. The dumbest coaching I ever saw was in a PA high school playoff game at Lehigh years ago. It was early 90's ('90 or '91 maybe?).

Ridley High versus Wilson High from West Lawn, PA. Ridely was up 14-0 in the 4th Quarter. Wilson scored a TD to make it 14-6 with plenty of time left. Instead of going for the extra point, Wilson's head coach inexplicably went for 2! They missed. When Wilson scored again on their next possession, they were forced to go for 2 just to tie, but missed again. Final score, Ridley 14 Wilson 12. Nothing pisses me off more about football than when a coach takes a chance to win out of his players' hands!

A few years ago Easton HS played Parkland HS for the PA District XI playoff championship. Easton was outgained by over 400 yards, so there was a lot of bending but only one break. Easton had only 50 yards of offense. With the score 7-0 late in the fourth, Easton gets a turnover and is able to score on the last play. 7-6. Easton called timeout and the HC let the players decide whether to go for two or kick and go OT. The players chose to go for the two pt play and lost. So sometimes the coaches don't make the call.

ISUMatt
June 26th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Whatever we do, ISU fans lynch Denver Johnson because either way it was a bad call because no one likes him!!!

Tribe4SF
June 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Before judging high school coaches, it must be remembered that high school kickers are usually not very good.

Ronbo
June 26th, 2005, 10:58 PM
If Montana is lucky enough to have a chance tie with seconds left against Oregon, then Hauck would go for the tie and overtime. He is a Coach that goes by the book and the odds say you have a better chance of winning in overtime than going for two. Plus the fans would be too critical on him if he went for two and lost. He gets much less heat for going to overtime. And Montana would be praised for taking Oregon to overtime. Win or lose.

arkstfan
June 26th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Whatever we do, ISU fans lynch Denver Johnson because either way it was a bad call because no one likes him!!!

A coach was once asked about one of the toughest teams in a middle classification in Arkansas. They run a very pass happy offense that gets a ton of attention from the media. The coach was asked what made their offense so good. He named their kicker. Because they COULD settle for a field goal they knew virtually every red zone possession would result in points. On their way to a state championship they won one playoff game by 7 points. They hit all four PAT's and a field goal. Their opponent missed two kicking PAT's and failed on two attempts at two point conversions.

bobcatfan06
June 27th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Don't ask Manny Matsakis (former Texas State coach). In 2003, when we lost to New Mexico 72-8, MM went for it on 4th and long deep in our own territory about 15 times. I know of one time when he went for it on 4th and like 12 from our own 20. :confused:

colgate13
June 27th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Against a I-A, who probably has a hell of a lot better kicker than I do, I go for two.

Saint3333
June 27th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Go for two, you either have to make a play now or later, might as well do it in regulation.

It's like going for the 3 to win a bball game or a 2 to tie. I've always heard coaches say you go for the win on the road and a tie at home. I assume a game against a 1-A opponent would be on the road.

Marcus Garvey
June 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM
The players chose to go for the two pt play and lost. So sometimes the coaches don't make the call.

That's cool. I can respect that decision when the coach let's the players decide. But, in 99% of the time at the high school level, the coach makes the call!.

BTW, do you know if they're laying down artifcial turf at Liberty High? I thought I'd heard the school district wanted to replace the grass there.

ngineer
June 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
That's cool. I can respect that decision when the coach let's the players decide. But, in 99% of the time at the high school level, the coach makes the call!.

BTW, do you know if they're laying down artifcial turf at Liberty High? I thought I'd heard the school district wanted to replace the grass there.

Not that I've heard or seen--BUT THEY SHOULD. You have three high schools using that stadium for football and soccer, plus JV games and some band practices--the field is dirt by the end of September.
Ironically, Moravian College's little Steel Field, as I type, is being completely renovated with the latest version of 'field turf', one block away!

Marcus Garvey
June 27th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Not that I've heard or seen--BUT THEY SHOULD. You have three high schools using that stadium for football and soccer, plus JV games and some band practices--the field is dirt by the end of September.
Ironically, Moravian College's little Steel Field, as I type, is being completely renovated with the latest version of 'field turf', one block away!

I never thought it was that bad when I played on it. I'd say late october it's dirt! :D
But I do remember one weekend when the ONLY football game cancelled due to rain was Liberty-P'Burg. I suspect it was because of the heavy use of the field. What sucked was that we were cancelled on Fri. night, and there was another game on Sat. night. Had to wait until Mon. night to play!

laparka316
June 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Getting to OT against a non-conf I-AA school would be an accomplishment for us, but we'd go for two regardless. Our head coach will go for two in a 6-0 ballgame in the first quarter if the ball is moved half the distance to the goal on an offsides. Sadly, this never works out as planned...