PDA

View Full Version : What a downer year for GSU

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Man it is hard to read all the posts about the upcoming playoffs and who gets in and who is out and absolutely no mention at all of Ga. Southern. Not that we deserve any mention -- this is probably the single worst GSU football team in the history of the program. At 3-7 going into the last game it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Why did we just throw away an offense that the rest of 1AA had all kinds of trouble stopping for the 3 and out offense we have now?

I guess I will have to adopt some team to pull for once the playoffs start at this point.

ASU Kep
November 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Man it is hard to read all the posts about the upcoming playoffs and who gets in and who is out and absolutely no mention at all of Ga. Southern. Not that we deserve any mention -- this is probably the single worst GSU football team in the history of the program. At 3-7 going into the last game it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Why did we just throw away an offense that the rest of 1AA had all kinds of trouble stopping for the 3 and out offense we have now?

I guess I will have to adopt some team to pull for once the playoffs start at this point.

We're available. :nod: :D

SouthernEagle02
November 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Great another fickle GSU fan who wants to b*tch & moan in a new place about how awful we are and yada, yada, yada. Heck I thought I could get away from this mess by coming over here. Don't worry I-AA world. GSU football will be back...See ya'll in the playoffs next year!!

walliver
November 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Look at the bright side, you accomplished something that no other I-AA team (other than Elon) accomplished - at least you beat the beach chickens.

GrizFoo
November 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
GSU will be fine. I wouldn't expect a team switching their entire O philosophy, with a new coach, to make the change without skipping a beat. I will miss the old GSU, but look forward to the new GSU getting back to where they should be, near the top of I-AA.

Go GSU! Good luck finding your way back into the playoffs next year. I suspect next year's team will be vastly improved.

OL FU
November 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
We would not be talking about Georgia Southern anyway:nono:

Their initials are not USDxlolx

citdog
November 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I for one think the GSU mess is absolutely hiliarious and think that the Eagles and their fans are getting what they deserve. You ran off a coach with an outstanding winning percentage and are now 3-7, tell me how that is working out for you. You took every I-A malcontent that you could put your hands on and wonder why they don't play as a team. It's like a really terrible train wreck..... etc etc

Tailbone
November 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I for one think the GSU mess is absolutely hiliarious and think that the Eagles and their fans are getting what they deserve. You ran off a coach with an outstanding winning percentage and are now 3-7, tell me how that is working out for you. You took every I-A malcontent that you could put your hands on and wonder why they don't play as a team. It's like a really terrible train wreck..... etc etc

WOW! :eek:
I didn't know fan's could do that!

ChickenMan
November 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm sure GSU will rebound into a solid playoff contender soon... but the days GSU domination over the rest of I-AA have been over for quite a few years... unfortunately many Eagle fans still can't seen to accept that fact.

ButlerGSU
November 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM

I'm adopting App State as my team this season. Can I get a sweatshirt? :smiley_wi

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Anyone have that picture of the guy on College Gameday in the background, I think it was 2004 or 2005, and he had a sign that said
"GEORGIA SOUTHERN IS BACK" -- and indeed they will be.

As much as I have not liked the Eagles (for competitive purposes), that was pretty cool to see.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I'm adopting App State as my team this season. Can I get a sweatshirt? :smiley_wi

Personally this upcoming Friday I plan on attending the Statesboro High playoff game. It'll give me hope that someone can win in Statesboro.

CCUBeachChicken
November 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Look at the bright side, you accomplished something that no other I-AA team (other than Elon) accomplished - at least you beat the beach chickens.

xlolx Yeah, I wish we would have played a better GSU team, not only would that help our GPI, but maybe we wouldn't have taken you guys for granted.

Purple Pride
November 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
And they're "concerned" they might have a rough game this weekend with UCA? PLLEEEEAAASE!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Purple Pride
November 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hell, I tried to sign up for GSU's message board with 2 different names and addresses and still can't get in. It's bad when the team's broke, but the internet? They might not want to hear it there so I'll go ahead and post it here:

Call it a season

GSU 3-8
UCA 8-3

UCA by 21 Saturday:thumbsup:

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
GSU will be fine. I wouldn't expect a team switching their entire O philosophy, with a new coach, to make the change without skipping a beat. I will miss the old GSU, but look forward to the new GSU getting back to where they should be, near the top of I-AA.

Go GSU! Good luck finding your way back into the playoffs next year. I suspect next year's team will be vastly improved.

I think a lot of people expected us to struggle a little bit because we are learning a new system, but I don't think anyone anticipated us being 4-7 (or 3-8 if we lose saturday). I don't use the "transition" excuse, I think it's the coaches fault. The offensive shennanigans have been going on all year and they cost us all of the games that we lost. I wasn't ready to start complaining after we lost to Central Connecticut State, because I really thought we would get better. We certainly improved from early season to late season in '02 and '05 with Sewak.

I think Brian VanGorder underestimated how competitive IAA is. He apparantly (and GSU fans keep saying this, but I haven't seen an actual quote) said the CCSU game was a "scrimmage". He also hired Darin Hinshaw (to take complete control of the offense) whose offenses couldn't produce in the Sun Belt. I guess he assumed "hey he was able to get jobs in the Sun Belt so he ought to dominate in some puny autobid IAA conference!!"

I'm sure that if we still had Mike Sewak for this season we would have won every game this season, except for possibly the North Dakota State game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM
By the way, when playoffs come around, App State is my team. Win another one for the Socon and for Jerry Moore.

FUOneTime
November 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
By the way, when playoffs come around, App State is my team. Win another one for the Socon and for Jerry Moore.

I hope more GSU (and FU) fans feel this way. Once Furman's out I'll be a Mountaineer fan through the Chat game. GO SO CON!!

Chants '07
November 13th, 2006, 11:47 PM
No love for the boys in teal? assuming we get in ofcourse

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Clark broke the light by overthrowing one of his receivers with a 100 mph fastball. :D

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I have to agree with you on this one. I'm glad you find my suffering amusing.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Hell, I tried to sign up for GSU's message board with 2 different names and addresses and still can't get in. It's bad when the team's broke, but the internet? They might not want to hear it there so I'll go ahead and post it here:

Call it a season

GSU 3-8
UCA 8-3

If Furman gets only 10 points and App St doesn't get a whole lot more, how will you score 21 points, much less, win by 21?

OL FU
November 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM
No love for the boys in teal? assuming we get in ofcourse

It's a SoCon thing:nod:

Hey who knows better luck next year:smiley_wi

Umass74
November 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM
I really think you gotta give the coach a couple of years of get his package in.

The spread option was such a specialized offense with small offensive linemen, running QB and blocking WRs it just takes a lot of new personnel and practice to change all that.

But what do I know ? I thought last year GSU was four defensive backs away from a national championship team...

Baldy
November 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Chitdog, do all those lumps from those years of poundings still hurt that bad? Our fists have healed, so much for your face I guess. xlolx

http://www.islamfortoday.com/Walter_Chamberlain.jpg

Baldy
November 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Call it a season

GSU 3-8
UCA 8-3

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/hugejazz/DSC00800.jpg

Laserlips
November 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM

ASU Kep: Another GSU fan with you.. Please send the t-shirt... :thumbsup:

Go all the way!

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Laserlips
November 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM

citdog: Hey guy, where have you been? We've (GSU fans) missed your witty comments over on TSC.

If beating the worse coached GSU football program in the history of GSU makes your season a success, more power to ya! :thumbsup:

We HAVE the players, we just DON'T have the Coaching.. :bang:

But, the good news is if your guys ever need a "bubble screen", or crappy coaching I can tell you where to find 'em.

Truthfully, we need better coaching, less coaching ego... Or as our new head coach was reported to have said BEFORE the season: "If I can't win at Georgia Southern I don't need to be coaching"...

Therefore: xidiotx

Lordy I miss the 3/0.

Best wishes to ya!:D

J. Pomeroy

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I'd say you guys need less fan ego, not coaching ego

Laserlips
November 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Now APP guy, In a previous post I just told you I was going to pull for your guys in the playoffs... Man...

But, the truth is the truth.. We are a bunch of spoiled fans, no doubt about it.

I know personally I try and try to be humble about the GSU football program, and the success we have had in years past. But, everytime I walked into Paulson Stadium this season prior to be given a buttwhipping by some visiting team my vision was drawn to the beautiful 6 championship flags flying and got misty eyed, and prideful again..

I'm sure you can sympathize with my emotional reaction to such, much as when you do the same in your statium you too can see the SIX, uh.. FIVE, uh.. FOUR..uh..THREE, uh,, TWO., no that's not right, ONE.. Yeah! ONE, Championship flag a flutterin'.. Yeah.. ONE...that's the ticket!

No doubt about it, lots of GSU fans glory in the past successs of our football program and that's sad...

But not nearly as sad as never have had the success the first place..

Boy, YOUR guys sure took OUR guys to the woodshed this year! :hurray:

Just to show you there's no hard feelings, I'll still pull for the Ap Mountaineers to win another 1AA football championship!

That'll give you guys, TWO... Right? :thumbsup:

Best Wishes from a GSU fan who sits in the stands at Paulson game after game, win or lose. We've had a terrible season, and IMO you can lay 90% of our problems directly at the feet of our new Coach..

BVG screwed the pooch when he came to Statesboro without a clue.. His theory was that "our defense" couldn't get any better practicing against the triple option offense.. He missed the fact that neither could our opponents defense. He missed the fact that in Jayson Foster we have a playmaker who is as good as any athlete in the Southern conference. He sorely UNDERESTIMATED the quality of 1AA Southern Conference football, and finally he came into the 'boro with the attitude "I'm a big fish coming from a big pond, and I'm gonna show these yokels how the big boys play football".. Only trouble is if you "talk the talk" you need to " walk the walk". He can't even see the walkway..

Now he's backed himself in a corner and won't say, "guy's I think I screwed up.. That triple option thing isn't such a bad idea after all".

In a nutshell BVG has squandered the good will and "slack" he had when he was hired. He has squandered a football season for the GSU Eagles, particularly the Seniors. He has squandered a year of eligibility for Jayson Foster by not playing him. He is losing tremendous fan support with each passing game.

And lastly he blames everybody and everything EXCEPT himself for our terrible season.. Or, his philosophy isn't, "The BUCK stops HERE"..

Just my old fart, frustrated, opinion..

I'll take my zoloft, some fiber, get a senior citizen nap, wake up be embarrassed by this rant and delete it..

Just hope you see it first!:D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

UNH 40
November 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM
This year for GSU is typical of what happens to teams that leave the option offense in the rear view mirror and moves on. It normally takes a year or two to get players, especially a QB to fit into a system that has a 50/50 run to pass ratio. If I were a GSU fan I would be encourage by the fact that they went toe to toe with two great teams like App. St. and Furman and lost both in very close hard fought games. GSU will get the athletes it needs to be back as one of the most dominant teams in the country, believe that. Just look at what Delaware did. They went from being strictly option to struggling for a year or two in transition to a new offense, to becoming a national champion. GSU will be fine.

Laserlips
November 14th, 2006, 01:05 PM
This year for GSU is typical of what happens to teams that leave the option offense in the rear view mirror and moves on. It normally takes a year or two to get players, especially a QB to fit into a system that has a 50/50 run to pass ratio. If I were a GSU fan I would be encourage by the fact that they went toe to toe with two great teams like App. St. and Furman and lost both in very close hard fought games. GSU will get the athletes it needs to be back as one of the most dominant teams in the country, believe that. Just look at what Delaware did. They went from being strictly option to struggling for a year or two in transition to a new offense, to becoming a national champion. GSU will be fine.

UNH 40: Thanks for a different perspective... By the way, how about scouting around up "thar" for high school senior football players and find our GSU Eagles a new kicker!

A fifth qb would be nice, but make sure he understands how to throw a bubble pass. We don't care if he has a good arm or not, our coaches don't believe in throwing long.. Hum.. xidiotx

Thanks again,

Best Wishes

J. Pomeroy

Baldy
November 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
:nod:

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
To some extent, I agree, however, it is the ego and pride in the program that shows the AD and coaching staff we will not settle for mediocrity. Of course, this also hurts us because of the pressure it puts on the players and staff to win. Sometimes I feel like we're New York Yankees fans. You know, expect nothing but a championship and even second place is as good as last place.

BVG has put a lot of pressure on himself. It has been discussed many times how he came in here as the savior of the program and, essentially, everything we did in the past was "Bush League."

walliver
November 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Personally this upcoming Friday I plan on attending the Statesboro High playoff game. It'll give me hope that someone can win in Statesboro.

I watched Statesboro get shut out 20-0 last weekend. Don't hold your breath. They lined up in the wishbone and wingbone formations, but didn't run a single option all night.

It seems the triple option has left Statesboro (and moved to VMI, where it isn't doing much yet).

GSU will likely compete for a playoff spot next year, but I don't think the team will ever be as exciting to watch again.

KJ Eagle
November 14th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Anyone have that picture of the guy on College Gameday in the background, I think it was 2004 or 2005, and he had a sign that said
"GEORGIA SOUTHERN IS BACK" -- and indeed they will be.

As much as I have not liked the Eagles (for competitive purposes), that was pretty cool to see.

I've got it on my computer at home. It is a screen shot of Herbstreit with the sign in the background. You're right very cool.

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I understand tradition, I understand pride. But think about it this way. If you act like your **** don't stink when things are going well, do you really expect people to sympathize with you now?

In the year that I have been here, the majority of the GSU fan base has made it clear that they think their **** don't stink. That may have something to do with being a rival, but at times, it has more to do with being a pompous ass. Some of you are cool, but others I can't stand. All I heard for 6 months when I joined was 6 flags this and 6 flags that, well, that ain't helping you now is it? I am by no means lumping all of you together, but you have to understand the lack of sympathy on the part of most.

Laserlips
November 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I understand tradition, I understand pride. But think about it this way. If you act like your **** don't stink when things are going well, do you really expect people to sympathize with you now?

In the year that I have been here, the majority of the GSU fan base has made it clear that they think their **** don't stink. That may have something to do with being a rival, but at times, it has more to do with being a pompous ass. Some of you are cool, but others I can't stand. All I heard for 6 months when I joined was 6 flags this and 6 flags that, well, that ain't helping you now is it? I am by no means lumping all of you together, but you have to understand the lack of sympathy on the part of most.

AppGuy04:

I don't think any GSU fan came on this board looking for sympathy...

The simple fact is that GSU has a tradition of always being in the hunt for a National Championship. We expect to be in the playoffs, every season.. Being knocked out of the playoff's in the first round is not acceptable..

Erk once said something to the nature that "losing is the worse feeling in the world", and most of us agree with him.

There is absolutely no doubt that the yearly games between GSU & App State, and GSU & Furman are big deals. No matter whether another team whips us in a particular season seems to have any effect on that.. I don't think it's a matter of us thinking "our feces don't smell", I think it's more a pride in our GSU Eagles and we consider the two schools as the yearly measuring stick as to whether we have a good season or not.

As for the 6 flags and all that.. The simple truth is WE HAVE 'EM, you don't... In fact nobody else in 1AA football has them. I think that fact affects YOUR attitude than it does on ours.

Look at all of the hoopa, excitement and press coverage the Mountaineers got last year for just winning their FIRST National Championship. You want to tell me that there wasn't any "strutting' n' We're No. ! finger waving and all that? Multiply that times 6 and you might have some idea of why we have a lot of pride in GSU football tradition.

We don't expect YOU to like it.. You don't have it.

It's obvious to all but the legally blind that the teams in the Southern Conference are more equal now than in years past. Competition is better, more losses by old "traditional" powerhouses, and new powerhouses on the rise. That's just sports.

That's not the problem with the GSU faithful. I think our issues are more that a new highly paid coach came into Statesboro and preceeded to trash tradition and gave us the "impression" that he would lead us to the promise land of 1AA football again. Only trouble is apparently he didn't know as much about GSU football as the average App State fan... He didn't have a clue about the triple option other than the fact that it gave HIS GA. Bulldogs a fit in Athens and he didn't want any part of it.

So in his effort to "upgrade" the GSU Eagle football program he preceeded to thrown the baby out with the dishwater and alienate most of the fan base in the process.

We don't want your sympathy.. We want to beat your butts every year, and sadly we are on a downward BVG spiral to the crapper, while App State is kicking butt.. And more power to you.

I don't think the average GSU fan has any dislike for App State, just a healthy appreciation for knowing when your team plays our team both had better bring their lunches..

If you don't have pride in your football team, even when they are having the worse season in the school's football history you are a crappy fan.. I have pride in the GSU football team. I appreciate the players because this season they have absolutely been misused, misunderstood, and mismanaged by BVG and his coaching staff.. xidiotx

It's a shame, they deserved better.

Best Wishes to App State, hope you win another national championship.

J. Pomeroy

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM
AppGuy04:

I don't think any GSU fan came on this board looking for sympathy...

The simple fact is that GSU has a tradition of always being in the hunt for a National Championship. We expect to be in the playoffs, every season.. Being knocked out of the playoff's in the first round is not acceptable..

Erk once said something to the nature that "losing is the worse feeling in the world", and most of us agree with him.

There is absolutely no doubt that the yearly games between GSU & App State, and GSU & Furman are big deals. No matter whether another team whips us in a particular season seems to have any effect on that.. I don't think it's a matter of us thinking "our feces don't smell", I think it's more a pride in our GSU Eagles and we consider the two schools as the yearly measuring stick as to whether we have a good year or not.

As for the 6 flags and all that.. The simple truth is WE HAVE 'EM, you don't... In fact nobody else in 1AA football has them. I think that fact affects YOUR attitude than it does on ours.

Look at all of the hoopa, excitement and press coverage the Mountaineers got last year for just winning their FIRST National Championship. You want to tell me that there wasn't any "strutting' n' We're No. ! finger waving and all that? Muliply that times 6 and you might have some idea of why we have a lot of pride in GSU football tradition.

We don't expect YOU to like it.. You don't have it.

It's obvious to all but the legally blind that the teams in the Southern Conference are more equal now than in years past. Competition is better, more losses by old "traditional" powerhouses, and new powerhouses on the rise. That's just sports.

That's not the problem with the GSU faithful. I think our issues are more that a new highly paid coach came into Statesboro and preceeded to trash tradition and gave us the "impression" that he would lead us to the promise land of 1AA football again. Only trouble is apparently he didn't know as much about GSU football as the average App State fan... He didn't have a clue about the triple option other than the fact that it gave HIS GA. Bulldogs a fit in Athens and he didn't want any part of it.

So in his effort to "upgrade" the GSU Eagle football program he preceeded to thrown the baby out with the dishwater and alienate most of the fan base in the process.

We don't want your sympathy.. We want to beat your butts every year, and sadly we are on a downward BVG spiral to the crapper, while App State is kicking butt.. And more power to you.

I don't think the average GSU has any dislike for App State, just a healthy appreciation for knowing when your team plays our team both had better bring their lunches..

If you don't have pride in your football team, even when they are having the worse season in the school's football history you are a crappy fan.. I have pride in the GSU football team. I appreciate the players because this season they have absolutely been misused, misunderstood, and mismanaged by BVG and his coaching staff.. xidiotx

It's a shame they deserved better.

Best Wishes to App State, hope you win another national championship.

J. Pomeroy

Thanks

and like I said, not lumping the whole group, just like you shouldn't with us. Yes we won the NC, but you won't find me "strutting." All it means to me is a bigger target on our backs. I would love to have 6, but you gotta start somewhere. I don't care if we had 15, I wouldn't be strutting.

Good luck rising to the top. As other posters have said, and I think you guys realize this. The days of dominating I-AA are over. There is too much parody. I want you to rise from the ashes. We don't like beating you when you have a losing record, ok yes we do, but we like beating you more when we are both top 10 teams. The Big 3 needs to be the Big 3, not the Big 2.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
While we may have seemingly earned the right to brag about 6 titles, most of us realize that this is the past and that it doesn't give you a right to get more. However, there is something to be said for tradition and 6 titles is indicative of our tradition. Truth be told, I hate bragging about our 6 titles unless some fool starts trashing our program. I'd rather concentrate on #7.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I've got it on my computer at home. It is a screen shot of Herbstreit with the sign in the background. You're right very cool.
I wish the sign said "F--- Herbstreit!"

The same for Corso and Fowler!

All three deserve to be kicked in the nuts...over and over for trashing I-AA.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I use the quote for my signature on TSC: "Losing is the most disgusting feeling anyone can ever experience."

I sure agree with him.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks

and like I said, not lumping the whole group, just like you shouldn't with us. Yes we won the NC, but you won't find me "strutting." All it means to me is a bigger target on our backs. I would love to have 6, but you gotta start somewhere. I don't care if we had 15, I wouldn't be strutting.

Good luck rising to the top. As other posters have said, and I think you guys realize this. The days of dominating I-AA are over. There is too much parody. I want you to rise from the ashes. We don't like beating you when you have a losing record, ok yes we do, but we like beating you more when we are both top 10 teams. The Big 3 needs to be the Big 3, not the Big 2.

I think you mean "parity".

I don't know if that comment about GSU fans being spoiled was directed at me, but I don't think I am spoiled. I was not one of the people calling for Sewak to be fired. In my mind, it's not that "our days of dominating IAA are over", it's just that we have been lucky to have Erk Russell and Paul Johnson, two outstanding coaches in a short period of time. Those kind of coaches are definitly the exception and not the rule (especially Erk, he's the kind of a person that isn't of an age, but for all time).

I understand the whole "transition" argument, but looking at how we have done this season, I'd say are problems are deeper than that, for the reasons that I posted earlier. We have some great athletes, and I think that played the biggest part in hanging tough with ASU, Furman, and North Dakota State (for the first half).

Good luck in the playoffs guys, GO SOCON!!

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I think you mean "parity".

I don't know if that comment about GSU fans being spoiled was directed at me, but I don't think I am spoiled. I was not one of the people calling for Sewak to be fired. In my mind, it's not that "our days of dominating IAA are over", it's just that we have been lucky to have Erk Russell and Paul Johnson, two outstanding coaches in a short period of time. Those kind of coaches are definitly the exception and not the rule (especially Erk, he's the kind of a person that isn't of an age, but for all time).

I understand the whole "transition" argument, but looking at how we have done this season, I'd say are problems are deeper than that, for the reasons that I posted earlier. We have some great athletes, and I think that played the biggest part in hanging tough with ASU, Furman, and North Dakota State (for the first half).

Good luck in the playoffs guys, GO SOCON!!

Yes, sorry, not an English major

My comments were not directed at anyone in particular, just the majority of the GSU fans I have encountered here. Like I said before, some GSU fans are a joy to deal with b/c they are realistic. Others are just blinded by their loyalty. IMO, that "loyalty" has backfired this year. I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again, if you guys could make a field goal, you'd probably have a winning record this year, so you can't really blame that on the coaching. I have heard statements like "BVG is ruinging GSU football." Things like that are ridiculous. You called for Sewak's firing, you got it. You exalted when BVG was hired, and now, less than one season into his tenure, you want to mutiny? Makes no sense to me. I think the one thing that is lacking in Statesville, patience. Maybe you can't see it, but there is a ton of talent on that team and it may take some time to prevail, but prevail it will. Instant gratification is what you've always had and thats just not possible. Learning to deal with delayed gratification is the goal now. Enough of my rants, good luck next season, and I hope you can find it in your hearts to pull for your SoCon breathren in the coming weeks. We would do the same for you.

SoCon48
November 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Well. The GSU'ers are moaning now and taking their share of grief, but they'll be back and to their bragging selves in a while. Hell they have enough I-A transfers to field a I-A team. And they were smart, they got a lot of them with a couple years left.

Purple Pride
November 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM
What's the skinny on the rumors of BVG going back to his old DC job at Georgia and Chris Hatcher from Valdosta coming on board as HC?

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2006, 01:03 PM
What's the skinny on the rumors of BVG going back to his old DC job at Georgia and Chris Hatcher from Valdosta coming on board as HC?

Hatcher is rumored to be the next OC at FSU

KJ Eagle
November 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Nothing more than BS rumors.

Kill'em
November 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Yes, sorry, not an English major

My comments were not directed at anyone in particular, just the majority of the GSU fans I have encountered here. Like I said before, some GSU fans are a joy to deal with b/c they are realistic. Others are just blinded by their loyalty. IMO, that "loyalty" has backfired this year. I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again, if you guys could make a field goal, you'd probably have a winning record this year, so you can't really blame that on the coaching. I have heard statements like "BVG is ruinging GSU football." Things like that are ridiculous. You called for Sewak's firing, you got it. You exalted when BVG was hired, and now, less than one season into his tenure, you want to mutiny? Makes no sense to me. I think the one thing that is lacking in Statesville, patience. Maybe you can't see it, but there is a ton of talent on that team and it may take some time to prevail, but prevail it will. Instant gratification is what you've always had and thats just not possible. Learning to deal with delayed gratification is the goal now. Enough of my rants, good luck next season, and I hope you can find it in your hearts to pull for your SoCon breathren in the coming weeks. We would do the same for you.
So much of this is true. However, BVG has made a ton of mistakes that put us farther behind the learning curve than what it should have been. Actually, there is a lot of blame to go around. Yes, the coaching stunk, however, there were crucial plays that weren't made that cost us and that isn't the fault of the coaches. We, as fans must take some of the blame for Coach Sewak and BVG. I hate when boosters tell the school how to run athletic departments. I thought this only happens at the "big-time" programs. Now I see it can happen in the smaller schools, too. :o Yes, we got a lot quickly and losing is hard to deal with. I hope the universe will line back up and Georgia Southern will take its place back near the top of I-AA.

And, yes I will be pulling for any SoCon team in the playoffs. Make us proud!

Purple Pride
November 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM
If Furman gets only 10 points and App St doesn't get a whole lot more, how will you score 21 points, much less, win by 21?

You were partly right, Kill'em. We only won by 3.:thumbsup:

We did score 34 though.:hurray:

Kill'em
November 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I only got to listen to the fourth quarter and OT, once I woke up (I'm on night shift). Sounds like I should have stayed asleep. I don't know what to say except this season has been a total embarassment.:nonono2:

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I only got to listen to the fourth quarter and OT, once I woke up (I'm on night shift). Sounds like I should have stayed asleep. I don't know what to say except this season has been a total embarassment.:nonono2:

There's only one way to go from where GSU is now, and that is back up.:thumbsup:

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Everyone gave me a lot of crap when I predicted a 4-7 season for the Eagles this year and picked them to finish sixth in the SoCon. Well, I was wrong. Georgia Southern finished 3-8 and tied for sixth with Chattanooga, a team that beat the Eagles.

Kill'em
November 19th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Everyone gave me a lot of crap when I predicted a 4-7 season for the Eagles this year and picked them to finish sixth in the SoCon. Well, I was wrong. Georgia Southern finished 3-8 and tied for sixth with Chattanooga, a team that beat the Eagles.
You are God, Mr. C. We are not worthy to be in your presence. :bow: