PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton Award Finalists Announced

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2014, 01:20 PM
Didn't see this posted yet so I'll post it:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_12_02_2014.htm

Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - The number they focused on was in the win column, and that grew because of their leadership and individual excellence.

There's no denying quarterbacks Vernon Adams Jr. of Eastern Washington, Justin Arias of Idaho State and John Robertson of Villanova were at the head of the class in the FCS this season. All three have been invited to the announcement of the 28th Walter Payton Award, given to the nation's outstanding player and considered the Heisman Trophy of the former Division I-AA level.

Read more at http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_12_02_2014.htm

Here were the results for 4-25.

# Name School 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
4. Vad Lee James Madison 9 18 12 17 12 199
5. Marshaun Coprich Illinois State 8 8 20 16 8 172
6. Zach Zenner South Dakota State 5 5 8 17 11 114
7. Alex Ross Coastal Carolina 3 8 8 11 7 100
8. R.J. Harris New Hampshire 3 8 8 10 3 94
9. Gus Johnson Stephen F. Austin 3 4 9 7 14 86
10. David Johnson Northern Iowa 2 6 5 8 13 78
11T.DeAndre Carter Sacramento State 1 8 3 4 17 71
11T.Jacob Huesman Chattanooga 1 6 6 7 10 71
13. Dakota Prukop Montana State 2 4 6 6 3 59
14. Tyler Varga Yale 0 4 7 4 8 53
15. Chase Edmonds Fordham 0 2 6 9 6 50
16. Khairi Dickson Saint Francis 1 4 5 3 6 48
17. Malcolm Cyrus Alabama State 2 3 1 2 1 30
18. Cooper Kupp Eastern Washington 1 1 3 1 5 25
19. Dy'Shawn Mobley E. Kentucky 1 1 1 4 4 24
20. DaMarcus James Jacksonville St. 1 0 2 2 3 18
21. Bryan Bennett SE Louisiana 0 1 1 3 1 14
22. Herb Walker Jr. Morgan State 0 1 1 2 1 12
23. MyCole Pruitt Southern Illinois 0 1 0 1 0 6
24. Connor Kacsor Dayton 0 1 0 0 1 5
25. Rob Hollomon Central Connecticu 0 0 0 0 1 1

The winner will be announced December 15th at TSN's FCS awards banquet in Philadelphia.

EDIT: Typo'd "Finalists" in the title, would appreciate it if a mod could fix it. Thanks!

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
I don't see how Robertson doesn't win it.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Zenner should be a finalist.

grizband
December 2nd, 2014, 02:07 PM
I think Idaho states turnaround might play a role in how high he finished in the voting

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I think Idaho states turnaround might play a role in how high he finished in the voting

Well I'd say how Idaho State turned around has everything to do with how he played this year. He's deserving and possibly more so than VA considering the absence.

JimmyJack
December 2nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Zenner, with a shot at his third 2,000+ yard season and even an outside shot at the all-time FCS rushing record, while playing in the nation's toughest conference, isn't even a finalist. Was Walter Payton a QB?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 02:20 PM
Zenner, with a shot at his third 2,000+ yard season and even an outside shot at the all-time FCS rushing record, while playing in the nation's toughest conference, isn't even a finalist. Was Walter Payton a QB?

Gotta agree with this. He should have been a finalist.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 2nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
Zenner just got slapped in the face... 6th!?! That's really unfortunate for him, SDSU & the entire MVFC.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM
I think part of the issue is that the MVFC vote got split up between the three backs.

clenz
December 2nd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Zenner just got slapped in the face... 6th!?! That's really unfortunate for him, SDSU & the entire MVFC.
All 3 MVFC backs slapped in the face with where they landed - not saying all 3 should have been the finalists but wow.

Between the 3 of them

5,100 yards rushing
867 receiving yards
63 total touchdowns

Jacked_Rabbit
I think part of the issue is that the MVFC vote got split up between the three backs.

Good point... How many games did Adams even play in this year!?! Not to take anything away from him; he's a great player, but c'mon...

Thunderstruck
This award is a joke...No way Adams should have been a finalist. He missed way too many games. Zenner should have finished in Top 2 at least. D. Johnson 10th? That is a complete joke. The guy is a mid round NFL draft pick.

clenz
December 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Good point... How many games did Adams even play in this year!?! Not to take anything away from him; he's a great player, but c'mon...
He's got the name.

I said the same thing when he got hurt. It won't affect the votes he gets for the Peyton...he's got the name.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
These are the same voters who voted in the TSN poll all year correct? If so, we shouldn't be that surprised. xlolx

Panther-State
December 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM
I assume that these were submitted prior to the playoffs? I sure hope so because anyone who looked at stats and game film and decided that Gus Johnson is even in the same stratosphere as David Johnson needs to check themselves into the nearest AA's.

F'N Hawks
December 2nd, 2014, 02:53 PM
The Valley just can't get the respect it deserves. They finally figured out how good you are this year by awarding you 5 playoff teams and then turn right around and screw you over again. Can't catch a break.

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
I assume that these were submitted prior to the playoffs? I sure hope so because anyone who looked at stats and game film and decided that Gus Johnson is even in the same stratosphere as David Johnson needs to check themselves into the nearest AA's.

Well the SLC voting bloc needed somebody to get behind.

I think a big issue is a a lot of people don't know FCS football that well outside of their conference.

Panther-State
December 2nd, 2014, 03:11 PM
Well the SLC voting bloc needed somebody to get behind.

I think a big issue is a a lot of people don't know FCS football that well outside of their conference.

I think you're absolutely right. Then again, I didn't recognize many names on that list. I figured this was something that was taken seriously though, by people who are paid to be knowledgeable about the division and its players. Clearly there is a bit of a gap.

UNH Fanboi
December 2nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
The Valley just can't get the respect it deserves. They finally figured out how good you are this year by awarding you 5 playoff teams and then turn right around and screw you over again. Can't catch a break.

Great, something else for MVFC folks to whine about. Guess what--the Payton Award has become a de facto QB award. This has nothing to do with a lack of respect for the MVFC.

HailSzczur
December 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM

He played 8/12 games. And EWU went 3-1 without him and put up 37 ppg in his absence. Makes you wonder if it was the QB or the system.....

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
I think you're absolutely right. Then again, I didn't recognize many names on that list. I figured this was something that was taken seriously though, by people who are paid to be knowledgeable about the division and its players. Clearly there is a bit of a gap.
The people are not paid to cover the entire FCS for the most part I don't believe. They are paid to cover their teams and conferences and don't normally have some national loyalty so I'm not sure where you would come up with that?

Let's not act like RB's have ever had near the pull in this award that QB's do. Is AP the last RB to win this? Can't remember but QB's are the front men of the band so they get the extra recognition.

Zenner would not have won it anyway but I think he is better than his placement on this list and as has been said the guys paid to cover MVFC stuff probably split their votes among too many guys to make an impact in any one place which I guess we'll see if it affects Emanuel aso soon enough.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Great, something else for MVFC folks to whine about. Guess what--the Payton Award has become a de facto QB award. This has nothing to do with a lack of respect for the MVFC.

I am sincerely hoping to see a little more shrugging of the shoulders ans moving on but I may be a bit optimistic from the early going on this one.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Last year Terrance West had one of the greatest seasons ever for a RB at the FCS level (1875 yards and 31 TDs in the regular season) and he still didn't win the Payton award. In fact he finished 3rd behind Jimmy Garoppolo and Vernon Adams.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
Last year Terrance West had one of the greatest seasons ever for a RB at the FCS level (1875 yards and 31 TDs in the regular season) and he still didn't win the Payton award. In fact he finished 3rd behind Jimmy Garoppolo and Vernon Adams.

Great point. Ok so MVFC fans, let's take this into account before going on about the MVFC "respect" thing is all I'm saying.xthumbsupx

tomq04
December 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM
I'm excited for Arias and the season he has had.

World
fully agree

clenz
I know it's a QB award.

It's like the Heisman

Just disappointed that the 3 MVFC running backs (yes, there are more good ones so get off my ass NDSU fans before you get on it) didn't get more votes. That's all.

UNIFanSince1983
Since it is strictly a QB award now maybe they could change the name to the Kurt Warner award :D

kalm
December 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
He played 8/12 games. And EWU went 3-1 without him and put up 37 ppg in his absence. Makes you wonder if it was the QB or the system.....

And that was against Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and UND. Meanwhile, with VA at the helm, we averaged 48.25 points against 3 playoff teams, and 8-4 Idaho, and a bowl bound UW. We scored more points by a touchdown than anyone else did against the Huskies including Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and Arizona State and Vernon has the most single game touchdowns and yardage in the history of Husky Stadium, old or new.

From the article:

The Big Sky's all-time leader in touchdown passes threw for 30 in only eight regular-season games, and he would have led the FCS in total offense per game (391.5 yards) if he had played one more game to qualify for the NCAA statistics.

He also would rank 1st in yards per game and touchdowns per game.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 03:52 PM
And that was against Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and UND. Meanwhile, with VA at the helm, we averaged 48.25 points against 3 playoff teams, and 8-4 Idaho, and a bowl bound UW. We scored more points by a touchdown than anyone else did against the Huskies including Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and Arizona State and Vernon has the most single game touchdowns and yardage in the history of Husky Stadium, old or new.

From the article:

He also would rank 1st in yards per game and touchdowns per game.

I was gonna answer Hail in the same regard but figured I'd leave it you EWU boys cuz you'd supply the stats that I just wasn't gonna look up. As soon as he posted that though it's exactly what I was thinking.

MTfan4life
December 2nd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Let's not act like RB's have ever had near the pull in this award that QB's do. Is AP the last RB to win this? Can't remember but QB's are the front men of the band so they get the extra recognition.

Jamaal Branch of Colgate in 2003 was the last RB to win. In fact, from 1996-2003, a RB won 6 different times, a WR once, and a QB once. However, since 2003, it has been all QBs.

Hammerhead
December 2nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
Even Cy Young never won the Cy Young award. :) I guess it's hard for a Missouri Valley player to get noticed for an offensive player award since our teams seem to be more of the 3 yards and a cloud of dust variety vs. the light up the scoreboard teams.

Grizzlies82
December 2nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
All 3 MVFC backs slapped in the face with where they landed - not saying all 3 should have been the finalists but wow.

Between the 3 of them

5,100 yards rushing
867 receiving yards
63 total touchdowns

Clearly the MVFC needs to learn how to play some defense.

clenz
December 2nd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Funny thing is all 3 had significantly better numbers against ooc schools

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Panther-State
December 2nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
I'm not upset an MVFC RB won't win. I never expected one to. I'm just flabbergasted that David Johnson finished 10th. Especially when Gus Johnson was 9th. Like I said, this had to have been done a few weeks ago. Had to.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
I'm not upset an MVFC RB won't win. I never expected one to. I'm just flabbergasted that David Johnson finished 10th. Especially when Gus Johnson was 9th. Like I said, this had to have been done a few weeks ago. Had to.

First off voting was a week ago and second off as has been said it probably has more to do with MVFC candidates splitting up the vote.

CatsWinCatsWinCatsWin
December 2nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
Robertson has great numbers both passing and rushing. The bad thing for his stats is that he sat out the end of many games because Villanova notoriously doesn't run up the score. Robertson could easily have a ton more yards and TDs.

9 Rushing TDs 978 yards
34 Passing TDs 2,629 yards (67% passing efficiency with only 3 INTs)

He's about 900 yards behind some guy named Brian Westbrook for total career rushing yards with one more year to go.

I will admit that I am a bit biased, but there are so many intangibles that make Robertson the perfect candidate for the Payton award. Here's to hoping for Villanova's 3rd Payton Award Winner.

Brian Finneran 1997
Brian Westbrook 2001
John Robertson 2014 ????

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Throw in Shakir Bell the prior year

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM

The only team we have put up Tecmo Bowl stats against were OOC and 2 MVFC teams

kalm
December 2nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Robertson has great numbers both passing and rushing. The bad thing for his stats is that he sat out the end of many games because Villanova notoriously doesn't run up the score. Robertson could easily have a ton more yards and TDs.

9 Rushing TDs 978 yards
34 Passing TDs 2,629 yards (67% passing efficiency with only 3 INTs)

He's about 900 yards behind some guy named Brian Westbrook for total career rushing yards with one more year to go.

I will admit that I am a bit biased, but there are so many intangibles that make Robertson the perfect candidate for the Payton award. Here's to hoping for Villanova's 3rd Payton Award Winner.

Brian Finneran 1997
Brian Westbrook 2001
John Robertson 2014 ????

Great stats. But if Vernon had played all 12, he would have ended up with 4300 yards passing with 45 touchdowns, 384 yards rushing with 6 touchdowns, 67.1% completions and 6 interceptions.

It's a close call.

dudeitsaid
December 2nd, 2014, 07:39 PM
Great stats. But if Vernon had played all 12, he would have ended up with 4300 yards passing with 45 touchdowns, 384 yards rushing with 6 touchdowns, 67.1% completions and 6 interceptions.

It's a close call.

I personally think Robertson will win it this year. And I think he deserves to. If VA had played the whole season, that would be another story. If VA can stay healthy next year, it will be his year.

But if VA wins, I won't be complaining!

kalm
December 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
I personally think Robertson will win it this year. And I think he deserves to. If VA had played the whole season, that would be another story. If VA can stay healthy next year, it will be his year.

Agree on all counts.

NorCalJack
December 2nd, 2014, 07:48 PM
Well look all of you other conferences can have your individual awards, the MVFC will take home the trophy again!!! After we beat each other up this weekend of course.

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2014, 07:57 PM

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM

It's a close call.

If Vernon had played all 12 games this wouldn't even be a discussion. I think Robertson probably wins it this year.

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
This award is a joke...No way Adams should have been a finalist. He missed way too many games. Zenner should have finished in Top 2 at least. D. Johnson 10th? That is a complete joke. The guy is a mid round NFL draft pick.

Good thing it's an award for the best offensive player in the FCS, and not one for where people think a player will end up in the NFL draft.

Little doubt in my mind he's the best QB in the country at this level, but the fact that he missed 4 games means he probably won't win it. Still, he was last year's runner up, so anything is possible.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 2nd, 2014, 08:16 PM
Well look all of you other conferences can have your individual awards, the MVFC will take home the trophy again!!! After we beat each other up this weekend of course.

Sorry tiger, conferences don't win it, a single team does.

dudeitsaid
December 2nd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Sorry tiger, conferences don't win it, a single team does.
Lol!

VUCats02
December 2nd, 2014, 09:01 PM

The Robertson-VA battle will be interesting again next year! ;)

HailSzczur
December 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
The Robertson-VA battle will be interesting again next year! ;)

NC matchup? Winner takes all.

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2014, 10:13 PM
NC matchup? Winner takes all.

Right on. We've already done one of those with you guys and Matt Szczur. ;)

Ok, semi's, but was still a fun game.

TheRevSFA
December 2nd, 2014, 10:24 PM
You do realize that Gus Johnson put up those numbers in a pass oriented scheme, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Gus was top 3 but don't insult the guy